Romney: You’d better believe Marco Rubio’s being vetted for VP; Update: ABC stands by story

posted at 7:21 pm on June 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

Can’t go wrong bashing the media for an unhelpful story, but remember that it wasn’t just ABC’s sources who claimed that Rubio wasn’t being vetted. WaPo heard the same thing from an “outside advisor” to the campaign. Three possibilities. One: Rubio was being vetted but there are multiple people inside Romneyworld with enough of an axe to grind against him that they’ll happily lie to the media about it, even at the risk of damaging Romney. Two: The ABC/WaPo sources were honestly mistaken about whether he was being vetted, in which case I’d sure like to know what led them to get the impression that he wasn’t. Three: They were right. Rubio wasn’t being vetted, but thanks to the uproar today, he will be now. Which raises the possibility that the ABC/WaPo sources are actually fans of Rubio and wanted to force him onto Team Mitt’s radar by creating a public spectacle over this.

Actually, there’s a fourth possibility. As WaPo noted earlier, many candidates are being “vetted” in the sense that the campaign’s conducting a preliminary review of their background based on public information. Only the select few on the short list, however, have to fill out a lengthy questionnaire and provide financial documents. When Mitt says “thoroughly vetted,” does he mean the first sort of vetting or the second?

Mitt Romney makes it official: “Marco Rubio is being thoroughly vetted as part of our process,” he said today, hours after an ABC report said he was not being considered as Romney’s running-mate.

“There was a story that originated today apparently at ABC based upon reports of supposedly outside unnamed advisers of mine,” Romney said in Holland, Michigan. “I can’t imagine who such people are. But I can tell you this: they know nothing about the vice presidential selection or evaluation process. There are only two people in this country who know who are being vetted and who are not: And that’s Beth Myers and myself. And I know Beth well. She doesn’t talk to anybody. The story was entirely false. Marco Rubio is being thoroughly vetted as part of our process.”

There are at least three people who know whether Rubio’s really being vetted — Romney, Myers, and Rubio himself. Has he confirmed that he’s been asked to fill out the questionnaire and provide financial statements apropos of a shortlister? All I’ve seen from him lately is the standard disclaimer that he doesn’t expect to be VP and a few polite demurrals about not wanting to comment on the process. If Romney gave him the green light to speak up, he could settle this in an instant.

Update: Jonathan Karl, who broke the Rubio news this morning for ABC, says Romney’s spinning after the fact.

First, I stand by my reporting. As of 9 a.m. this morning, Marco Rubio had not been asked by the Romney campaign to turn over any documents related to the vice presidential search. He had not been asked to fill out any questionnaires. If Romney was “thoroughly vetting” Rubio, he was doing it without Rubio’s knowledge…

It’s possible that Romney simply had not gotten around to asking Rubio for vetting materials, but his search process has been under way for more than two months…

I am told by several Republican sources that Romney came under intense pressure today from top Republicans who argued it was crazy to take Rubio out of consideration so early. Some argued for Rubio’s appeal as the party’s most effective and charismatic conservative voice. Some argued it is dumb politics to not consider the party’s top Hispanic conservative. It seems Romney, at least now, agrees.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

And Spain’s pain is all the fault of those evil real estate speculators. Of course! How did we all miss that?

/s

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

“The pain in Spain…”

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Me thinks Mitch Daniels is off the radar,he’s accepted the President position at Pardue University today!!

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

He would be at the top of my list, but I think he was very serious about not being a candidate for the job. In fact, I was very sad when he decided to run in the primaries.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Personally, I hope Marco Rubio is not the VP nominee, I want him to run for President, in the future. Now, that aside, I know that Rubio hired a firm to conduct opposition reeach on him, because he didn’t want any more surprises like the Democrats pulled on him with his parents coming here from Cuba. It could well be that he offered that to Romney, as part of a vetting process.

I think the Republicans learned a valuable lesson with Sarah Palin. Not that they picked the wrong candidate, but there’s no sense in giving the sycophant media any more time than they need, to go out and drag the VP candidate through the mud. I can imagine MSNBC selectively editing many of Rubio’s speeches right now, if they thought he would be the VP candidate.

bflat879 on June 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Are we not missing something? Didn’t Rubio already say he would say “no” to being VP? Or that he wouldn’t be the VP? Why would you vet someone who said that?

Zaggs on June 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM

The guy is a rotten politician. You want to bet if he is called he will say no? Right. And I am the queen of England.

I really think our country is done. If people as ..er..bright as the one who comment on Hotair think Rubio is a good man with the right experience to be vp then all is lost. Not only he is a rino but worse: he is more hispanic than American.

ALLEGIANCE.

I don’t want him ANYWHERE near the White House. We have enough with one traitor.

Cain had nothing to go for him as executive experience but at least he IS an American in his blood and heart! Would never have voted for him but sheeshh…Rubio? First in line for the presidency???

We welcome all hispanics – preferably the poor illiterates one – and don’t worry, welfare will be here for you all along with free healthcare and all. After all it’s tough in their country so that’s normal they would want to cross the border illegally. Rubio is all for it. American laws and The Constitution be damned.

Oh, and if, of course IF you hispanics ever wish to work, which I doubt, why would you..American families will be thrilled to give you their job.

Yeah, rubio will be great for We The People of America. What a team: Romney and Rubio.

And also, I am so sick of hearing only about hispanics!!! Why are we talking ONLY about hispanics? If you are not an illiterate hispanic you have no hope in America?

What about Europeans – Russians – Indians and Chinese who work 20 hours a day so they can survive without welfare? Or african Christians who get killed everyday by muslims?

Sickening.

Excuse me – I need to throw up.

American Dream 246 on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Mittens is a total sh!thead. This nation is toast with morons like this. Unreal.

I won’t vote for anything with Rubhio anywhere near it, that pathetic piece of sh!t.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

I still totally wish Daniels was the nominee instead of Mitt. And agreed, it doesn’t look like Daniels is even in the running for the veep slot.

JetBoy on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

The source was not anyone on Romney’s campaign, it was Rubio, who merely stated he had not been asked to provide any paperwork, so all the conspiracy theories about Romney aides spilling the beans because they luv luv luved Charlie Crist and had it out for Marco appear to be false, as I suspected.
~~~

As you agree with and quote someone who just made something up.
besser tot als rot on June 19, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I didn’t make anything up. I’ve been through this scenario before and I know who has promoted the Mark Wallace stories. See this thread and witness all the eager beaver rumor mongerers at work.

Her husband works for mitt they say. hmmmm.
the_nile on March 11, 2012 at 3:20 PM
It wouldn’t surprise me in the least, come to think of it.
ddrintn on March 11, 2012 at 3:22 PM
Isn’t she an advisor to Romney?
Tasha on March 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM
Her husband is….
other reason I will never vote for Romney…
idesign on March 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Buy Danish on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

I wonder if anyone advising Romney is a double agent for Team Barry. Mighty auspicious timing for this Rubio rumor to drop immediately following Teh One’s immagration power grab.

Kataklysmic on June 19, 2012 at 7:33 PM

It’s more likely that all of Governor Romney’s phones are bugged, and all of his vehicles, and all of his homes. Given what the idiot Holder is up to with F&F, I’d even wonder if the campaign is using government to do it.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

bflat879 on June 19, 2012 at 8:15 PM

What better setup he could he have for a 2020 run than being the great Romney’s Veep :-)

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Is it for all people around the world or just hispanics.

tomas on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

As Allahpudit pointed out very astutely earlier,if Romney chose Rubio, he would be ‘peppered with questions about immigration until election day’.

Like it or not, by pushing his own ‘DREAM Act’, Rubio has made illegal immigration and immigration reform his own signature issue. It is the issue that will shape his political landscape for the foreseeable future.

Any day that the GOP is discussing ANYTHING other than the economy is a good day for Obama.

Romney would be best served, and best serve the party, by choosing someone who is reliable, steady, and free of having been tagged with any overriding political flashpoint issue like immigration that could be used to dominate the dialogue leading up to the election and change the debate from the economy to some side issue.

This is why a candidate like Tim Pawlenty, with whom the party base is fairly well acquainted after his performance in this primary, would be a good choice. He’s got the executive experience to do the job, excellent credentials, is articulate and possessed of the ability to be diplomatic when necessary, and he’s free of having been tagged with any one flashpoint issue which could be used to redirect the national debate to some other topic than the economy and Obama’s dismal record.

thatsafactjack on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, I really believe Jonathan Karl. Lefty, Liberal, Flack.

The New Republic. CNN. ABC.

1995 – The Right to Bear Arms: The Rise of America’s New Militias.

Call it justified fear or call it paranoia, but one thing is certain. Today tens of thousands of hard working Americans – executives, housewives, mothers, and teens – are currently active in so-called self-defense militias. In this timely, insightful, and well researched book, Jonathan Karl traces the rise of the militia movements, interviews hundreds of militia members around the country, and returns with a sobering account of what these militia members are thinking. He details what the government has done to contribute to their fears and ultimately how their anger will affect the way Americans feel about their country and about themselves.

jaime on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Stop holding back. Drop the weasel words and euphemisms and tell us what you really think :-)

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

I remember decades ago when Romney hit Perry from the right on immigration. Now he wont stand up to Obama on it.

Brave. Brave Sir Romney

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

I never take those “I’m not going to run” statements seriously. Obm said he definitely not going to run for president in ’08…just months before he did run. Christie said the same as well I believe. If the opportunity presents itself, either one would most likely take the job no matter what they said about not running.

JetBoy on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

What is with this Rubio fetish that so many have?

Mark1971 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

What is with this Rubio fetish that so many have?

Mark1971 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

They are trying to console themselves that Rubio will be there because Romney is a terrible candidate. I dont want to be here for the convention or the election.

Walker or Rubio will come in 2016

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 PM

What is with this Rubio fetish that so many have?

Mark1971 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Beats me…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM

We need American leaders, not hyphenated-American leaders.
bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Preach!!

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

JetBoy on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

IDK. I’m pretty sure that Christie would take the position. I’m doubtful that Daniels would, but who knows?

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Oh , Jeb Bush, just say it.

the_nile on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

That’s what I wondered.

INC on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Am I the only one who realizes that someone can be vetted without obtaining any materials from the person being vetted? Written materials, criminal records, checking into people associated with a candidate can all be done without asking for any materials to be turned over. Someone missed this logical link.

kmalkows on June 19, 2012 at 8:26 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

BTW, great article in the WSJ on the same subject we were discussing yesterday. That is how the Fed can increase their balance sheet, but if the money isn’t injected in to the economy, it won’t be “stimulative” (or inflationary for that matter). Their “modest proposal” is that the Fed should go around the country buying tons of lottery tickets!

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

thatsafactjack on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

All good points.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

the_nile on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Jeb would be a fine choice if he weren’t a Bush-American :-)

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Rubio is young an has accomplished little, if anything in the Senate. But he gives a great speech. Gee, where have we seen this before?

Mark1971 on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Remember all of the stories in the MSM how Palin wasn’t thoroughly vetted?

I’ll tell you exactly what’s going on.

This is the MSM setting the groundwork for the meme that Rubio wasn’t thoroughly vetted when Romney does select Rubio as his running mate.

You heard it here first.

CarlKopp on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Believe me, my words didn’t even come close to what I think about the retarded world citizen Marxist Rubio and his idea that America is the property of the world. He is a total piece of sh!t and Mittens is throwing away any chance this nation has by even making pretend that he would consider such an America-hating azzhole for VP.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

That’s what I wondered.

INC on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

INC, I left you a note on the QOTD thread a couple back, morning end of it. Take a look if you have a chance.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

thatsafactjack on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I agree with slickwillie2001. Excellent point about Rubio.

To me it argues in favor of Ryan who I like because he and Mitt are so close on their ideas and would absolutely keep the conversation about the economy, debt and entitlements.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:31 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Alright, I’m going to have to ask you dial back the subtlety just a little bit. I’m finding it awfully hard to get your meaning :-)

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM

LOL. The sad part is that that would have been more effective than what they did and are doing.

People think that Keynes was joking with his “bury jars of cash and have people dig them up and spend them” but that, also, would have been better.

It’s a very sad state of affairs – all the way around.

And the Fed is still pretending that they will never have to reduce their balance sheet (they claim that they can do it with no problem, but that is such a poor joke that it doesn’t even rate laughing at). We are in a corner, here, and this will not end well, at all. Not even close to well.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

What is with this Rubio fetish that so many have?

Mark1971 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 PM

I don’t know. Tell us about it.

Capitalist Hog on June 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Am I the only one a little disappointed that Romney even mentioned this today?

One of the things I have really been enjoying from Romney is his ability to stay on message and not let the “new of the day” even make him blink.

By coming out and commenting on Rubio and how he is being “thoroughly vetted”, you keep this story alive and make it even bigger. In fact, when (not if-but when) Romney picks a running mate who turns out not to be Rubio, the fact he did not pick Rubio afterall will become just as big if not an even BIGGER story than who he does pick.

Please Mitt… stay the course and dont comment on such nonsense.

Indy82 on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM

typo: meant NEWS of the day.

Indy82 on June 19, 2012 at 8:35 PM

oi. I dont know what you’re seeing

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

tonite Sarah speaks. romney or not. thats all that matters at this point. mitt has the left all sewn up. he thinks he has to move only a teensy bit to the right.

Teh Cuda will decide how far right she will pull this clowns tail.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Everyone should read the Sean Trende article that was just posted in headlines. Much more realistic.

HB3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So Rubio is being chosen because of his ethnicity instead of his qualification to be in second line? And of course Mittbots will explain how this is not a political move…. A la David Plouffe or call me an Obamabot, an amateur, tell me to stay in my coward middle, blahblahblah. Save it!

Pandering to women went so well in 2008..

Seriously guys Mitt Romney is the least decisive candidate I have seen in years! He could not take a stand on what brief to put on if Ann didn’t label them by the day!! Yes he ABO… Elect and impeach. Woohoo! You guys are geniuses for that one./

You made this choice over real patriots and Americans like Rick Santorum or Ron Paul. I will throw Mitt’s vomit in your face until November… Until he is impeached that is :)

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 PM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Sarah who? Is she one of those win a dinner with Obama celebs?

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

We need American leaders, not hyphenated-American leaders.
bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

The title of Rubio’s book is An American Son.

You claim you don’t want “hyphenated-Americans.” But you’re guilty of hyphenating a self-proclaimed “American.”

Phony.

Capitalist Hog on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

My wish list: Christie, Ryan, Rubio and Jindal in that order.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Krispy Kreme?? Why?

1. He wouldn’t even file a suit over Obamacare

2. He’s pro gun control

3. Soft on global warming

4. Appointed a terrorist sympathizing judge.

Krispy Kreme is the worst VP choice. All he has going for him is a couple of nice youtube clips.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

FTR, I adore Marco Rubio and think he’s a great asset to the campaign and the GOP in general but I don’t think he’s got the resume’ for veep yet, and doubt Romney wants a first term Senator when he’s got seasoned guvs to choose from. We also need him in Florida. Dittos for Paul Ryan. If they want an Hispanic guv, P.R.’s guv, Luis Fortuno, is awesome.

Buy Danish on June 19, 2012 at 8:39 PM

The title of Rubio’s book is An American Son.

Capitalist Hog on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

He’s a lying sack of sh!t. Marxist Rubio cares more about Latin America than America. He’s a pathetic azz who needs to STFU and go away since he has no respect for our Constitution, the AMerican citizenry or American sovereignty.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

HB3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Most his articles are must reads. Another gem!

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Teh Cuda will decide how far right she will pull this clowns tail.
renalin on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Pull Baby Pull!!!

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

So. Much. DOOM.

Lighten up, folks. Obama is confused and goin’ down!

thebrokenrattle on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

He thinks he can win Michigan and Wisconsin too.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

See, you forgot that no one gives a sh!t about the opinions of sh!theads like you.

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

gerrym51 on June 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

That’s an interesting post. Thanks.

INC on June 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Sean Trende does seem to be doing good work. I’m surprised.

HB3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Aside from being a great gov, he has NJ, CT and PA going for him along with a nationwide base of admirers.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Sarah who? Is she one of those win a dinner with Obama celebs?

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Neigh-neigh, Sarah Jessica Parker!

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:41 PM

And they shouldn’t. My opinion doesn’t really matter. But they should think about how many others think the same as I do about this. If you look back at the last pushes for amnesty … it’s more than a few.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Lighten up, folks. Obama is confused and goin’ down!

thebrokenrattle on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Implying romney can win. The only thing he seems to disagree with Obama about is the way you implement policy.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

So Sarah Jessica Parker is going to be on Fox news? Great.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Christie? FAIL!

Bob McDonnell, Bobby Jindal, Paul Ryan.

I’d take George Allen over Christie, even with the macaque baggage.

Capitalist Hog on June 19, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Is it for all people around the world or just hispanics.

tomas on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Yes. That’s my question also.

American Dream 246 on June 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

I’d prefer Pawlenty or Portman be the VP pick. The VP will be a sacrificial lamb, when Romney loses, the national dreams of the VP candidate goes away.

No sense wasting good prospects on a losing candidate.

The guy cant even get a decisive lead in the polls like Kerry before Obama starts hitting him

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

You’re not making any sense. “If you look back at the last pushes for amnesty … it’s more than a few.” Huh? Are you angry that Romney isn’t advocating for amnesty or mad at him because you erroneously believe that he is?

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

What are you asking me for my opinion for?

If you don’t understand my comment about amnesty and how that relates to Marxist Rubio then you are beyond clueless.

Go ask someone whose opinion you care about. Why waste my time?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

He isnt taking a position. He’s waiting for poll numbers

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

That’s because it’s still the economy and we’re not stupid!

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 PM

Christie has Connecticut and Pennsylvania going for him? What?

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

That’s because it’s still the economy and we’re not stupid!

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

The butthurt is going to flow with you on election day then. Maybe Romney can run in 2016 again just for you

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Sickening.

Excuse me – I need to throw up.

American Dream 246 on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Agree with everything that you said. I am so fed up with Rubio I could hurl too. An excerpt from his book:

While discussing immigration policy in his new memoir, An American Son, Rubio called for “common decency” in dealing with undocumented immigrants and said that if put in a similar position as those who are fleeing destitution, he would break the law, too.

Well, let’s just not have any borders and let everyone in. We can replace the 4th of July with Cinco de Mayo. Anyone who likes this guy needs to look at his record. He blocked ALL enforcement bills as leader of the Florida state senate. I repeat: ALL OF THEM. He is nothing more than an amnesty shill in the mold of the Bushes, McCain, Graham, etc. If Romney’s smart, he’ll distance himself from this blatant hispanderer.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Maybe whichever loser you pinned your hopes on will primary Romney’s Veep in 2020.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Marxist Rubio

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I know you’re probably smitten with your own cleverness at replacing “Mario” with “Marxist,” but what, exactly, pray tell, qualifies Rubio as a one?

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

how that relates to Marxist Rubio then you are beyond clueless.
ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I know that comments don’t go up in QOTD, but ED and AP may have to make an exception for the gem.

How’d you get a computer in that padded room?

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

I’m thinking LSD.

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I bet you think Romney can win Michigan. Ignore the polls to election day. But what do I know. I’m conservative.

Romney is a one trick flip flopping turd with a poor record and bad likability. the guy is going to be more unpopular then McCain after he loses.

Dont worry. You’ll have Jeb to cheer for in 4 years

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

I suggest that the democratics let the liberal media know, via Journolist or the conference calls, that they would like their help narrowing down Governor Romney’s list for VP. ABC sent this out as a helpful probe.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 9:03 PM

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

He is very explicit that he thinks America is bound (morally and, if he got his America-hating way, legally) to spread our wealth with the Third World and empathize with them breaking our laws and invading our country. That we owe them something for us being so rich.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I bet you think Romney can win Michigan. Ignore the polls to election day.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

At the very least he will force Obama to spend time and campaign resources to hold on to MI. Mitt is going to keep PBHO on the run the entire campaign, playing defense just to try to hold what he can from 2008.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Sorry, no. I don’t believe anything that ABC reports. I think Jonathon Karl sits in Obama’s pocket just like everyone else at ABC, and what’s he going to say? “I made it up in order to start a controversy surrounding Rubio?” No, it’s a bunch of fabricated crap. Just like everything else that comes from team Obama. I’m kind of annoyed that AP is giving it any kind of credence at all; Sometimes I think he goes looking for things to be negative about.

BettyRuth on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

American Dream 246 on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Did you misread what I said? I do not believe Sen. Rubio to be ready, he has the same qualifications as The Won did in 2008. And I had no problem with the Sarah Palin choice.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You funny.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

You funny.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

These days, the road to Hell is paved with good laughs. It’s the only consolation.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

C’mon Mitt, if you get pushed around during the presidential campaign, you’ll get pushed around as President.

Lawdawg86 on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Not really. Karl has just confirmed what I have been saying all day: that Rubio is being foisted on Romney by the GOP establishment. I still think someone close to Romney leaked the info to ABC to take some of the wind out of Rubio’s sails. Romney may be spinning now for the sake of appearances, but he’s succeeded in damaging Rubio a bit, and in making it clear that Rubio is the GOP’s boy, and not his.

Rubio is playing a dangerous game right now. This is not going to end well for him.

Mr. Arkadin on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Could it be any more obvious? Rubio is a Jeb Bush protege and has made it clear that he is not interested.

For appearances’ sake, he should be vetted anyway, but that’s the deal. Rubio is waiting for a later turn.

Which is all to the good IMO because I think he needs more seasoning anyway.

Missy on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Which of the primary losers was it who broke your poor little heart?

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

It’s a near lock for Obama. Mittens barely won it after throwing millions at the state much more than any other candidate.

I can make an adverse argument. Since Romney is doing so bad in Arizona, Obama’s campaign is making him spend money there.

Obama’s got much more in the already locked electoral count. He basically just needs to win Ohio to win. Mitt isnt winning CO or IA.

Believe it or not but THERE IS a flaw with picking a candidate with no geographical base.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

I don’t know about the road, but if I can’t laugh (including at myself) then I’ve already arrived at the destination :-)

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Which is all to the good IMO because I think he needs more seasoning anyway.

Missy on June 19, 2012 at 9:07 PM

No, he needs to go away. Anyone who is Jeb’s protege is not good for this country. Call me crazy, but I’m not too keen on rewarding people who broke the law with amnesty. I’ve already spent enough of my tax dollars on these moochers.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

The RCP average has him within 6 points in MI already. And Obama is under 50%. Any state the the incumbent is under 50% in is a state that he needs to be very worried about.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 PM

MJBrutus:Oh I agree,here da linky!!:)
=====================================

Gov. Mitch Daniels expected to be named Purdue’s new president
4:31 PM, Jun. 19, 2012
***********************

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 9:15 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

6 points. Thats nice and good. But this is June. The time for Romney to start doing well in polls is now! He loses ALL of his advantages in the primary race against Obama. Obama just needs a couple million dollars in Detroit and other areas and that is that. It doesnt help Romney is one of the most unpopular nominees since Dukakis.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Who are you, Jim Messina? I realize that you probably spend most of your time discussion Obama reelection strategies over at DU or Kos. But, if you were here this morning you would have read an article from that bastion of conservative advocacy, The New Republic, fretting that PA is in play.

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Pic of the Day: The REAL War on Women

M2RB: Roger Daltrey

Resist We Much on June 19, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Keep on kidding yourself. Mitt is strong and getting stronger with each passing day. PBHO can no longer hope to sell anyone on the “improving” economy. He can’t sell anyone on “it’s Bush’s fault.” He can’t sell anyone on hope and change. All that he can do is try to fool people in to thinking that Mitt’s the Lord of the Flies and that’s not going to happen.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Right, Romney is already within striking distance in WI and MI, and instead of trying to shore up traditionally blue states, Obama is going to focus on expanding his map to AZ. uh-huh

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 9:21 PM

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Not to mention that, although Michigan went for Obama in 2008 by 16-point margin (57-41), according to Gallup’s State of the States, the Michigan electorate in 2011 (the most recent available data) was 10.5% more Republican/Republican-leaning than in 2008. Also worth noting, in the 2010 midterms Republicans carried Michigan House races by an 8-point margin (52-44) and Rick Snyder won the governorship by an 18-point margin (58-40). Team Zero has definite cause to worry.

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:22 PM

for those following Sarah hasn’t spoken yet. the free world awaits.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 8:13 PM

JetBoy on June 19, 2012 at 8:16 PM

JetBoy:Could be,btw,great to see ya!:)

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

fretting that PA is in play.

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 9:17 PM

I’m a PA resident and PA is always in play in every election until it isnt. Call me a kos kiddie if you want but Mitt Romney is a terrible politician. It’s a fact

I believe I’m not the one kidding myself. Mittens has no strengths as a candidate.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I hate to break it to you, but there’s no way Romney loses Arizona.

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:25 PM

martinez ain’t gonna happen thiugh, she seems really adamant that she doesn’t want it or consider it…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

No one from Santa Fe NM would ever want to move to Washington DC…except maybe the scumbag Richardson.

Who is John Galt on June 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM