Quotes of the day

posted at 10:35 pm on June 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

House Speaker John Boehner today took a direct assault at the president’s immigration announcement as he questioned the constitutionality of his decision to stop deporting and begin granting work permits to hundreds of thousands of young illegal immigrants and he surmised that President Obama made the announcement because the president “can’t talk about his economic policies.”

“It’s the president himself who said the last couple of years that he couldn’t do this and so the question remains whether he’s violating the Constitution,” Boehner, R-Ohio, said. “But let’s go back to what’s really going on here: The president can’t talk about his economic policies, can’t talk about the number one issue on the minds of Americans because his policies have failed. They’ve made things worse, and so he’s turned to the politics of envy and division, which I don’t think the American people are going to accept.”

***

A group of 20 Republican senators led by Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) sent a letter to President Obama late Tuesday questioning the legality of his recent directive to stop deporting illegal immigrants who come to the country at a young age.

“Not only do we question your legal authority to unilaterally act in this regard, we are frustrated that you have intentionally bypassed Congress and the American people,” the letter read in part. “As president you swore to uphold and defend the constitution and enforce laws. Your recently announced directive runs counter to that responsibility.”

The letter requests documents from President Obama proving that he sought legal counsel to ensure that he had the right to issue the immigration directive.

***

Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) on Monday proposed legislation that would block enforcement of President Obama’s new policy of letting certain illegal immigrants request temporary relief from deportation.

Schweikert’s bill would specifically prohibit the Department of Homeland Security from allowing that relief, which Obama described on Friday as an option for up to 800,000 immigrants who came to the United States illegally at a young age. Schweikert said his bill would prevent Obama from “dictating” immigration law from the White House.

“Last week, the president decided to grant amnesty and hand out work permits to hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants, while over 23 million Americans remain unemployed and the civilian participation rate is at a 30-year low,” he said Monday. “This amounts to an abdication of duty to the American people who are struggling in this economy.

***

President Obama made waves last week by announcing significant changes to the government’s stance on the deportation of certain illegal immigrants. Most analysts portrayed the decision as a smart move to shore up Obama’s flagging standing with Latino voters.

I’m far less certain

While the Latino vote is frequently portrayed as a critical voting bloc, in truth it is concentrated in only a few swing states with just a handful of electoral votes…

Fifteen electoral votes could still be crucial in a close election. But here’s the rub: The analyses that focus only on the potential effect among Latino voters miss half of the equation: The potential effect among white voters…

Finally, I think it’s important to remember that Latino voters’ views on immigration aren’t uniform, and that just as there’s a ceiling on the Republican share of this vote, there’s probably something of a floor.

***

Fox News’ Carl Cameron, sensing that evasion, asked why the presumptive Republican nominee was fine saying he’d repeal Obamacare but unwilling to say as much about this quasi-Executive Order.

“Well, when we talk about illegal immigration I think I want to start by saying we need to secure the border, we’ve got to have an employment verification system, and then with regards to these children who came here brought in by their parents who came in here illegally, how we deal with them is something I think that deserves a long term solution and I don’t think we go jumping from one solution to the other,” Romney replied. “The president I think made a mistake by putting out there what he called a stop-gap measure; I think that’s not the right way to go. I’m not going to be looking for stop gap-measures; I’m going to be looking for a permanent or a long-term solution that’s something I will start on day one. Actually, as soon as I get elected hopefully, I will start working on this issue and hopefully be ready to go immediately.”

Romney may, indeed, be more interested in crafting broader immigration reform — though his promise to veto the DREAM Act suggests he’s far more interested in border enforcement than reform. He may find the idea of a stopgap measure bad politics and bad policy. But the idea that he will somehow craft legislation and get it ready to be implemented upon him taking office Jan. 20, is truly wishful thinking considering how hard it proved to pass during the latter Bush years and early Obama years.

***

I often feel as if I live in two worlds. I get angry when I hear stories of couples from wealthy families who come to Miami from overseas in the last weeks of a pregnancy, deliver their children at Jackson Memorial so their babies are born American citizens, and then leave the country and stick the American public with their hospital bills. I appreciate the frustration people have when they feel their country is being overwhelmed by illegal immigration.

On the other hand, when I hear some people accuse immigrants of destroying the American economy and culture and stealing jobs from American citizens, it stirs my anger, too. I can’t stand to hear immigrants described in terms more appropriate to a plague of locusts than human beings. And although I believe they are a small minority, I begin to wonder if some of the people who speak so disparagingly about immigrants would be just as worked up if most of them were coming from Canada.

I understand it is a difficult issue. It’s a law-and-order issue. But it’s also an issue about human dignity and common decency. And when we lose sight of either aspect of the issue, we harm ourselves as well as the people who wish to live here. Many people who come here illegally are doing exactly what we would do if we lived in a country where we couldn’t feed our families. If my kids went to sleep hungry every night and my country didn’t give me an opportunity to feed them, there isn’t a law, no matter how restrictive, that would prevent me from coming here. We should debate our differences on immigration with regard to all the issues that deserve our respect and attention.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Gohawgs, Dire was just here a minute ago. Poof, he vanished.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

CCrosby,
Unfortunately, the State of California has exacerbated your dilemma with its own massive over regulation and ineffective handling of its ag business in general. The federal government has long since been smugly and roundly ignored when it comes to immigration issues in California, just as the water issue has been ridiculously complicated and mishandled by local and state authorities. The current federal administration has only made these issues worse. I’m particularly astonished at the mishandling of the water issues in the Central Valley over the Delta Smelt and water rights, or the hydroelectric projects to the north which I understand have caused great hardship and uncertainty in the Ag industry. Its criminal mismanagement of critical and vital resources causing undue duress to the employers and Ag producers of the state.
I suggest to you that if we can get a decent administration installed in Washington that actually has the will to reform the immigration system, enforcing the law with an even hand, and forcing states that have successfully thumbed their nose at federal law while accepting the funding to enforce it to comply, and to rein in an arbitrary and ideology driven EPA and DNR/BLM, California’s woes, including the labor problem of the Ag industry, can be resolved. As I said, when the federal government, under proper business friendly administration, is provided with the appropriate information and people are brought under the umbrella of the law, the requisite number of permits can be issued and sufficient guest workers can readily and reliably be provided in a timely fashion to be certain that the product gets to market. With illegal aliens the work force is unstable and unreliable at best, as evinced by the current problems being experienced in the Ag industry.

thatsafactjack on June 20, 2012 at 2:58 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Kinda, sorta…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Kinda, sorta…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Kinda, sorta worked out I hope.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Good to see you!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Well we been missing you, hope everything is ok. Neighbors just got back from Little Rock visiting their C-130 pilot son, brought me a nice ball cap. AF baby.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 2:55 AM

I’ll be around!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I think I’m in master. :)

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Mitt’s, Rubio’s, Huck’s and too many other’s favorite band

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I think I’m in master. :)

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Yay! Did you try to comment? I think I have made it so you can just comment with out anything special.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM

I’ll be around!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Sweet tune. I’ve been listening to some of this. They tell me its lucky.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Bmore,

Did you start a blog?…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

I’ll be around!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Very good. Thought about you tonight while cooking dinner and listening to the boys.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 AM

lol, I sent a love letter but when I went to preview, it disappeared so I thought it best not to press my luck. I can return if needed. thx.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:20 AM

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Hiya Cuz. It’s been hot here, hope your neighbors didn’t melt…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:21 AM

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 AM

You, too. Hope you’ve been keeping JtL in line…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM

Did you start a blog?…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Kinda, sorta. ; ) Remember back when predator got banned? I thought it would be a good idea to have a place to talk off board. I have tried to keep it kinda low profile. I may just have to link it to my moniker at some point. Passing notes here is tough and someone already intercepted one earlier this evening. Its probably someone I’d like to have in over there. I just wish they would comment so I would know who it was.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:24 AM

arnold ziffel, I was making an adjustment to make it easier for you to comment. That may have been it. I have no way of knowing until you comment. ; ) Glad you found the place.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Mitt’s, Rubio’s, Huck’s and too many other’s favorite band…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 AM

What, “Worthless Fux” ain’t on you tube yet?

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I know folks connect off site. All this subterfuge is very frustrating. nov at comcastdotnet

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM

use my full nick, not just nov

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

No problem.
You inadvertently made me laugh the other night. You have multiple tabs or screens on that you try to keep up with and I talked about a bad cable (clue), and you thought I was referring to trouble on the Mackinac bridge.
Just thought it was funny when you said about 600 feet over land/water. Me no like stationary heights. I’m fine with aviation but do not like looking over the side of a building, cliff , whatever.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM

novaculus, cool I’ll send ya the link. Say hi when you get there. ; )

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 AM

And now, time for another tune:

Never In My Life

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 AM

What, “Worthless Fux” ain’t on you tube yet?

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Not yet. But, there is a listing in the Funk & Wagnall’s for that term/band. Kinda neat how the pic next to the term keeps flipping from Mitt to Huck to Rubio, etc…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I watched that link–Smack Dab, way cool. Didn’t even see Flaco until a bit into the clip. He seems like a genuinely nice fellow. His grandpa and father all were very good with the accordion as is Santiago jr., Flaco’s bro.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Excellent.But you might need some heavy fuel!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

arnold, LOL! I grew up the son of a bridge builder. Heights were his business. They have never bothered me, quite the contrary.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:22 AM

lolz..I’m trying!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

All I know is America is in trouble. :(

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Did he ever take you up on projects?

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Excellent.But you might need some heavy fuel!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Like it. Comment under the clip—”Mark Knopfler can make the guitar tell stories.”

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Did he ever take you up on projects?

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 AM

All the time.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 AM

Night fellas, you guys stay up too late. Maybe tomorrow the chicks will be back.

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Good Night arnold, Sleep Well.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Cya, Cuz…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 AM

I’m out…

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM

G’night, arnie and hawg…

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Anyone still around?

Rock the Casbah

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Well I’m far from being a kid. I’m a working adult but because of unemployment in my household, I do go to bed hungry most nights. Oh yeah, and forget a haircut or getting my nails done.

I think the people that are already here, legally, should be first in line for jobs. Speaking of jobs… where are they?

fullogas on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM

arnold ziffel on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 AM

Yes he can!!..:)

PS..Later..Enjoyed it!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 AM

Anyone still around?

Rock the Casbah

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Getting ready to turn in. Good one to listen to first. Great album!

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Gohawgs on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Later..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Beem- got the email- rest easy, my friend..

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM

novaculus, don’t forget to check that spam folder. You should have received it. Here is one of my other fav’s off that LP.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I’ll take that as my Q. LOL!

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Oh, just so y’all know, I’ll delete the welcome mat at some point, so don’t let it freak you out when its gone.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Another good one. Most good rock is elemental, simple. The Clash understood.

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 4:05 AM

fullogas on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Sold my plasma to buy beans and rice at one point in my life. Hang in there. Keep on fighting.

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Good Wednesday morning!

there has got to be a dead cat bounce for dear leader in all of this….he’s 0-2 so far with his war on women and gay marriage…

new distraction coming soon….

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 6:44 AM

boy does the lsm hate sheldon addison…they had no issues with soros and his big money…

lay off for cripe sakes

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 6:46 AM

It’s all part of Liberals’ well-practiced hypocrisy and deceit, m’dear.

kingsjester on June 20, 2012 at 6:53 AM

kingsjester on June 20, 2012 at 6:53 AM

indeed KJ, indeed

very nice take sir…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Obama leads 53-40 in national poll

bloomberg poll, i’m sure this will be touted by the lsm in short order…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 7:08 AM

The plan Rubio is working on is more narrow and focused than the DREAM act. One of the problems with any of these kinds of bills is that if they are not very explicit then they will be used to bring in far more people than just the little kids..for instance, how many people will bring in their children just in the hopes of making use of such a program? Those are the kinds of issues that make it so problematic. Meanwhile, there are people joining our military even now in the hopes that this will help them gain legal status or citizenship. The devil is always in the details.

Terrye on June 20, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Another good one. Most good rock is elemental, simple. The Clash understood.

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 4:05 AM

The Black Kids I thought for a while were reprising that style.

hawkdriver on June 20, 2012 at 7:23 AM

Obama press conference or Town Hall fantasy question……

“are you the Master…..or the apprentice Mr. President?”

Would he just smile?

PappyD61 on June 20, 2012 at 7:34 AM

Obama by 13?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

Obama by 300!!!!!

JOKE POLL

PappyD61 on June 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM

PappyD61 on June 20, 2012 at 7:37 AM

see he’s going to win this election
-lsm

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Think of it in these terms. Desperation makes an individuals temper short, they become unreasonably sensitive and begin lashing out in irrational ways. When you are lashing out over “Unsightly panty lines” you are past the breaking point. This is very likely a symptom of the beginnings of a complete mental breakdown.

SWalker on June 20, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I’m not sure if you’re serious or not so I’m going to ask, did you notice the tags in that article you linked to?

Flora Duh on June 20, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Terrye on June 20, 2012 at 7:15 AM

I haven’t given this a lot of thought, but offhand, and as a vet myself, I have no problem with honorable service in the military as a major step toward citizenship. Risk – reward.

swinia sutki on June 20, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Obama leads 53-40 in national poll

bloomberg poll, i’m sure this will be touted by the lsm in short order…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Yeah right. I suppose this is in line with memories back to the miserable 1980 when the media led us to believe Carter and Reagan were “neck and neck until people made up their minds in the voting booth on election day”. Romney hate is nothing compared to what Reagan hate was like. He was the devil.

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 7:54 AM

apparently….the election ain’t over yet, there’s still time with the lsm to do their best in demonizing mitt

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Marcus-
morning joe is talking about the poll now, just happy about it…

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 8:04 AM

He said that on Hannity tonight and since the rest of the quote is pretty much what he said on Hannity as well, I wonder if that first part was left out.

Dark Star on June 19, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I don’t watch Hannity, but it seems a perfect way for Romney to avoid taking an explicit position on Zero’s obvious attempt to trap him into taking a position on a very narrowly defined wedge issue. How can a candidate for President say he’ll uphold an unconstitutional executive order?

farsighted on June 20, 2012 at 8:06 AM

As NRO isn’t taking commentary…

On the first part – Yes, I am as worked up about those here illegally from other Nations. I don’t care if you are here from Mexico, Poland, Thailand, Indonesia, Iraq, Egypt, Colombia, El Salvador or Turkmenistan illegally. One of the founding principles is that this is a Nation of laws, not of men, and that we agree to self-governance as a first priority so that we can then safeguard our order of laws amongst ourselves so as to keep them as few as possible. To do that one must respect the Law of Nations and that if you are born to a Nation not of your liking, one not providing for your liberty, one not respecting laws and acting capriciously to undermine them so as to allow laws to become a pliable means to tyrannize the population, then your first responsibility is to take up self-governance and start fixing the problem.

Thus, on the second – If your family is going hungry every night, if you Nation cannot allow you to exercise your liberty, if you cannot find common grounds amongst your fellow citizens to change such cruelty within the Nation you are in, then your first option is not to jump ship but to go through the methods set up to get out in an orderly fashion. If you are a persecuted minority in danger of imprisonment, restriction of rights compared to your fellow citizens or of imminent death due to who you are not your economic condition, then we have means set in place already to give you sanctuary. That IS humanitarian of the highest order.

When you run from the problem of abusive and tyrannical government towards all citizens, one that seeks to take your means of living from you because it is an horrific government, and that the economic conditions are caused by your government being horrible, then running from that problem is not FIXING THE PROBLEM and it is, indeed, making it worse for those WHO RESPECT THE LAW. Governments are instituted amongst MEN and if you do not like how you are treated as a citizen, then it is up to YOU to work with your fellow citizens to make a society that can then change or abolish the government you currently have and create one that respects your rights and liberty, which is to say one that will not take from you just because you have earned enough from your work to eat. When you take your vigorous self on a hike of illegality to feed your family, then, yes, your family gets fed and the conditions you left get worse because you see no value in staying there to work out a better system of governance. That system is not imposed from the top going down, but comes from you heading outwards to your fellow citizens.

Coming here illegally is not a ‘fix’, it is not a ‘solution’ and it is running from your duties and responsibilities to yourself, your family and your fellow citizens to get a just order of government that does not take your bread from your mouth because they have been unwisely granted power or have enforced a tyrannical system upon you by force of arms. Your natural rights, liberty and reason are a solution to that problem and it can be a horrific solution, but it won’t get better unless you DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. When you are running you are no longer self-governing unless it is to make the plea to our government that your system is so tyrannical, so repressive that the ordinary citizen CANNOT ESCAPE IT save by harsh travails and that you seek SANCTUARY from such horrific and tyrannical government. We DO give sanctuary to such people because they value freedom and live in a situation of totalitarian dictatorship that to escape is one of the bravest possible things that can be done so that a voice of freedom can be heard outside such tyranny.

That is the rule of law, upheld, not just in our Nation but amongst Nations. That is a primary duty of citizens of all Nations to uphold. Got a bad government that rules unwisely and takes rashly, is corrupt and yet does not seek to imprison you for just being alive? You got a problem, yes, but also means to fix it. Lost your ability to work from a regime that is kleptocratic but isn’t wantonly decimating entire villages as an example to others? You got a problem, yes, but also a means to fix it. Are you persecuted for what you are or what you believe, repressed, assaulted and threatened with death due to your religion, gender, ethnic background or place of origin? I suggest you run as fast as you can from such a place and find sanctuary and a platform to let the world hear of it… for that is your duty, as well, to your fellow citizens and to all mankind.

To me there are clear and sharp dividing lines based on our understanding of what government is, where it starts and what our responsibilities are once we have reached the age of majority for our Nation of origin. Unless you are running from tyranny, then, no, I really don’t care where you came from if you are here illegally. By trying to provide ‘amnesty’ or a ‘DREAM’ we degrade the concept of SANCTUARY to the oppressed of the Earth. And there is a sharp, hard and fast dividing line between rewarding mere economic refugees and those fleeing tyranny, and we should be upholding that very bright, clear and distinct standard as a beacon to all mankind.

ajacksonian on June 20, 2012 at 8:14 AM

You’ve ignored the option of working to change the conditions in the country that make that situation possible, rather than importing those same conditions into the host country and overwhelming their infrastructure.

Cleombrotus on June 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

False dilemma. They’re NOT coming from Canada. Why not?

Cleombrotus on June 20, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Oblamo has stepped into a steaming pile and has nowhere else to go with this issue. He drew the line and he’ll never step back. I don’t buy that Bloomberg poll, either. There was too much opposition to the Dream/Amnesty Act 2 years ago from We the People.

Kissmygrits on June 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Ummm….Cameron, you mean that some law breakers are forgiven but others must pay a penalty? Like, it’s ok to steal money if you plan to buy food with it, but not ok to setal money if you plan to buy dope with it? And it’s ok to kill someone if they insulted you, but not ok if they are a stranger?

Sad and pretty stupid article.

dahni on June 20, 2012 at 12:13 PM