Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on June 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama’s press conference on June 8th got a lot of bad reviews, mainly for his assertion that “the private sector is doing fine” and that what America needs is a lot more government workers.  Ed Rogers at the Washington Post has, uh, a few other, uh, issues with Obama’s, uh, performance:

The president says “uhhh” too much. When I was a cable television news extra during the ‘90s and early 2000s, you learn early to purge your presentation of “uhhh.” Saying “uhhh” suggests uncertainty and is distracting. (And in my case, when it was accompanied by a Southern accent, it was even worse.) I don’t know what the president had in mind, but his own meandering, stuttering performance could not have done him any good with any audience. What was he, uhhh, thinking?

Here’s, uh, an example of, uh, Obama’s delivery from that press conference:

It’s not as if no one has ever pointed out the program before, either. Here’s a clip from Late Night with David Letterman that’s almost exactly 49 months old, from May 2008:

And this comes from almost three years ago, from one single press conference:

Maybe it’s time someone, uh, gave the World’s Greatest Orator some public-speaking tips, eh?

Comments

Uhhh, good uhhh morning.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Uh, forgot what I was going to say….

Don L on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Or should that be?

Uhhh, good, uhhh, good, uhhh, morning.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

to mr thin-skin? that would be considered racist…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

He has a gift — but it has less to do with his overhyped speaking skills than with many peoples’ willingness to see in him qualities which simply are not there.

AZCoyote on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Saying “uhhh” suggests uncertainty

Which is why the imbecilic putz says it all the time. He’s uncertain alright, uncertain if people are going to believe his latest attempt to shove a crap sandwich down our throats.

Flora Duh on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Don L on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Uh.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

SCOAMF just wouldn’t be SCOAMF without the “S”.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

This is why Obama avoids pressers. He doesn’t respond well without the TOTUS telling him what to say. He has a long history of stepping in it when expected to speak off the cuff. It gave us the Cambridge Police acted stupidly. It located Hawaii in Asia and gave us 57 states. And most recently it gave us the statement that the private sector was fine with a follow-on attempt at damage control which made matters even worse.

This is the reason why Obama perfers interviews with friendly “journalists” asking questions that are predictable and uncritical if not outright pre-scripted.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Uhhh, where am I?

petefrt on June 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

AZCoyote on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Fake Greek columns make everybody sound smarter than they are.

Seriously, this is one of those situations where everybody likes the idea of a President Obama but the reality has fallen far short of the vision.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Ed, lots of people say “uh.”

Not as common: Whistling when you pronounce “s” when it’s at the end of a word.

Even less common: Saying “yo” when you’re trying to say “you know.”

Yes, the World’s Greatest Orator needs public speaking lessons.

itsnotaboutme on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

At least he wasn’t influenced by Canada, or instead of “UH”, we’d be hearing “EH” every third word.

pilamaye on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I would heartily recommend Toastmasters to anyone who wants to improve their public speaking skills. It probably wouldn’t have worked for Obama though, because you get evaluated and people point out areas for improvement (over and over if you don’t change) and we know how notoriously thin his skin is.

Filler words such as uh, ah and like are distracting from the message (when you have one) and are easy to overcome if you are aware of using them and want to stop.

Oh yeah, Toastmasters would also have offered him leadership training and opportunities to practice being a club President before taking on THE Presidency role in the free world. Would anyone who voted for this guy with his painfully thin resume please pick up your brain from the pawn shop before the next election. Thank you.

CitizenEgg on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Oh my, it seems we’ve been unfairly critical of the boy king. It should have been obvious to us that when he says UH, he’s referring to the University of Hawaii.

Do I really need this? /

Flora Duh on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Ed, lots of people say “uh.”

Not as common: Whistling when you pronounce “s” when it’s at the end of a word.

Even less common: Saying “yo” when you’re trying to say “you know.”

Yes, the World’s Greatest Orator needs public speaking lessons.

For example:

itsnotaboutme on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

In the instructor world, the use of uhs, ohs, and ums are known as ‘verbal distractors’ and are counted during your evaluations.

Great orator? Indeed. When off-script or off-TOTUS, those verbal distractors flow out of his mouth like a river.

rightside on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I wonder how many “uhs” he uttered while talking to Putin yesterday?

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM

2008: ” . . .Barack Hussein Obama, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm.”

2012: ” . . .Barack Hussein Obama, uh, uh, . . .”

Dextrous on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I always thought he was saying, “Duhhh!” but wasn’t annunciating the D very well.

trubble on June 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM

O/T, but worthy of a post:

Marco Rubio Not Being Vetted for VP?

Lawdawg86 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

It took Ed Rogers nearly 4 years to brainwork this?

By the bye, Ed, avoiding the exclamation “uh” is not a public speaking secret beholden only to TV news extras.

PopsRacer on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

CitizenEgg on June 19, 2012 at 8:14 AM

Maybe distracting from the message is the point. Obama often uses those distracting uhs to shift from the question asked to the talking point he wants to make. Skilled political orators can make the segue so effortlessly they are on to the next question before anybody realizes that they didn’t answer the question.

Obama has another habit that I’m pretty sure Toastmasters would frown upon. The frequency of I and me in his speeches. A good speaker is going to make it about the issue not the speaker.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

the fake ‘professor’ of constitutional law cared so much about teaching that he never bothered to learn how to speak fluently.

ProfessorMiao on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Tommy DeVito: You know Zero, you’re a f***in’ mumbling stuttering little f**k. You know that?

- Goodfellas

hamnj7 on June 19, 2012 at 8:23 AM

He’s not a “great” public orator. He’s a “great” public reader.

50sGuy on June 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM

When I talk about him, I do that a lot too. Oh wait, I say “ugh.” Never mind.

Odysseus on June 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Lawdawg86 on June 19, 2012 at 8:21 AM

I believe there is email access to Allah and Ed for tips such as this that, uh, have nothing to do with the topic at hand

DaveDief on June 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

The problem with the speech is that it is too professorial. And I say that as someone who *gives* lectures for a living.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Uhhh, where am I?

petefrt on June 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

My guess is spending late January in New York, running for king of the world. If you thought his EO’s were bad, wait till he starts issuing Royal Decrees. I say we save time and prepare a rubber room for him now.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Oblamo has a lot more than uh wrong with his presentation. He uses a Southern accent when speaking to his folks, let me be clear to a general audience and the use of plain water cooler euphemisms on the stump while trying to sound like the down trodden. He does have a nice smile which he uses to disarm his listeners. I think he started to bite his lower lip, too, which must mean he’s serious or something.

Kissmygrits on June 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

If the press complains about the teleprompter and the tennis delivery I guess we will know that he’s done. I wonder if three and half years of stars in your eyes is painful?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Good morning! I am sorry this is so late but I answered your question on the Sunday morning show thread. I didn’t want you to think I was ignoring you, it was just a while before I got back to the computer.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

LOL!!!!!

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

I I I I I will make this perfect clear. I am not a stuttering clusterfluke.

Is this where SCoaMF hold up both hand in a peace sign?

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Uhhh, let me be clear…. uhhh. uhhh, could someone fix the teleprompter?

wildcat72 on June 19, 2012 at 8:32 AM

SCOAMF just wouldn’t be SCOAMF without the “S”.
swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Uhhhhhh… I’m almost afraid to ask, but what does SCOAMF mean? Sorry I didn’t, uhhhhhh, pay attention when it was first introduced.

KS Rex on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

trubble on June 19, 2012 at 8:20 AM

VP Joey B should use “D’oh!”

Fallon on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Oh dear, do you really want to roust the sleeping snakes?

Fallon on June 19, 2012 at 8:36 AM

“Uhhhh” can reflect uncertainty, sloppiness, carelessness, poor preparation and excess vacationing, among other things.

Sadly, in Oblamer’s case it usually means his mouth is stalling so that his insignificant brain can catch up.

viking01 on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

His hero Mussolini NEVER said uhh, well maybe on the toilet, but never in public……….

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Um I don’t know what you mean, Ed.

We were told that Obama’s “Uh, Um, and ZZZZsss” are the undisputed proof of his genius and deepthinking.

Sir Napsalot on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

not just the uhs, but the “uh uh uhs”.

And the “yaows” instead of you knows.

And the “aaaaaaaaaaand…” business.

And the whistling “ssssss” at the end of words.

The idiot can NOT speak extemporaneously. He is marginally talented at reading someone else’s words off a ‘prompter.

Sadly, that makes this clod qualified to be a sports anchor on the Des Moines evening news, NOT the leader of the (decreasingly) free world.

GrassMudHorsey on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

AZCoyote on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 AM

His gift is called “skin color”. He goes out and stammers, stutters, says “uh” 1,000 times, says 57 states, speak Austrian, corpsemen, etc.

But if you think any of this indicates that he’s a lousy speaker or he’s a frickin’ moron, you’re racist.

The Rogue Tomato on June 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

2008: ” . . .Barack Hussein Obama, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm, Mmmmmm.”

2012: ” . . .Barack Hussein Obama, uh, uh, . . .”

Dextrous on June 19, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Funny!

I say we save time and prepare a rubber room for him now.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

I’m uneasy too about what happens if/when he loses the election. Let’s hope it’s a landslide. If he loses and it’s anywhere near close, who knows what will happen. But likely there will be a Constitutional crisis, nation-splitting fight.

petefrt on June 19, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Not as common: Whistling when you pronounce “s” when it’s at the end of a word.

OMFG that literally makes my skin crawl!! It’s like fingers down a chalkboard!

TEH WURLDZ GREATEST SPEAKER!!!! is in dire need of some agressive speech therapy.

crazy_legs on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Probably poorly worded on my part. I meant that Dems voting for Obama would get more respect from HotAirians than R’s not voting for Mitt. Of course any Dems voting for Mitt will be welcomed. I just think that people acting in good conscience shouldn’t be trashed. The trick is knowing when they are acting thus not being trolls or making excuses.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I had a college class where a significant portion of the grade was based on speaking and presenting our work. It wasn’t until after most of us flunked our first presentation that we found out our teacher was subtracting every uh, um, and any other “filler” (as he liked to call them) we used. He told us we’d be better off standing there silently than to waste air on the “fillers.” It was a tough lesson, but it paid off in the long run.

Kraken on June 19, 2012 at 8:42 AM

You can take a black man out of the ghetto…

Archivarix on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

KS Rex on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Stuttering Clusterf*** Of A Miserable Failure.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Uhh, I’m not a crook……..;)

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Then you’re a lousy lecturer.

ProfessorMiao on June 19, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Archivarix on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Your comment has been flagged as inappropriate. Please try again.

Dextrous on June 19, 2012 at 8:50 AM

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I think you and I are in agreement. It’s a tough election year, I can see that a vote for Gov. Romney can be viewed as encouragement for the establishment to keep giving us the same kind of candidates. I am slightly encouraged that Gov. Romney is at least willing to fight back. Maybe he will be able convince more conservatives by November. It’s kind of funny that most think conservatives are looking for a fire breather, I’m just looking for someone competent. I hope I won’t ever beat up on someone for their vote, even if I don’t agree. If we didn’t think that vote was a big deal we wouldn’t fight so hard to make sure the process isn’t corrupted.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

For example:

itsnotaboutme on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I’ll give it an eight, Dick. It has a nice beat, and it’s easy to dance to.

Finbar on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Honest to Pete, I took a speaking class in college and the first thing we learned is to eliminate verbal tics like “uh” or “Okay”.

And this is a Harvard Professor?

Yeah….RIGHT.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Waking up each morning to Moochelle yelling “Don’t got no lobster!” can’t be helpful.

viking01 on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Ed, lots of people say “uh.”

Not as common: Whistling when you pronounce “s” when it’s at the end of a word.

Even less common: Saying “yo” when you’re trying to say “you know.”

Yes, the World’s Greatest Orator needs public speaking lessons.

For example:

itsnotaboutme on June 19, 2012 at 8:17 AM

I’ll give it an eight, Dick. It has a nice beat, and it’s easy to dance to.

Finbar on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hey, that is kinda like what the kids are listening to nowadays, huh?
:D

itsnotaboutme on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 AM

what does SCOAMF mean? KS Rex on June 19, 2012 at 8:34 AM

If Obama says it, it stands for “Stewed Chihuahua Organs Are My Favorite.”

If an American says it, it usually stands for “Stuttering Clusterf*ck of a Miserable Failure” and they’re most likely referring to Uhbama.

Hope this helps.

TheClearRiver on June 19, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Grace_is_sufficient on June 19, 2012 at 8:59 AM

But “ya know” is still good right? /

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:04 AM

MSM is just noticing that Barry is a SCOAMF now?

bayview on June 19, 2012 at 9:19 AM

viking01 on June 19, 2012 at 8:37 AM

I’d add he’s wordsmithing what his lie will be.

TulsAmerican on June 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

It only hurts when you try try to remove them.

Gladtobehere on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Has Obama ever been held to uh-count for anything?

Steve Z on June 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I disagree Cindy. I routinely “beat up” on people for their votes of lack there of. The reason is b/c it affects ALL of us.

Some 18 year kid who doesn’t pay attention and thinks Obama is cool really irritates me. I don’t want to suffer under socialism due to his ignorance.

The same goes for these “principled conservatives”. I fought hard to beat Romney in the primary but it didn’t happen. Anyone who thinks Romney is the same as Obama is ignorant and that’s the biggest reason I’ve seen from those refusing to vote.

This is the biggest election of our lifetimes. Giving Obama another 4 years is game over. Imagine the damage he’ll do that won’t be able to be fixed. We’ll be a permanent socialist ruin. If all Romney can do is stop the bleeding, then at the worst that’s still a million times better than having Obama finish the job.

Plus we can always get as many conservatives in Congress as possible to influence ROmney.

However I refuse to sit quietly and respect other conservatives who will bury their hands in the sand just b/c they don’t like Romeny. Face it, Romney’s better than McCain. We have a better option this time around.

Not doing everything in your power to defeat Obama is hateful to me. And this just doesn’t mean voting for Romney, it means supporting him. Donating, making phone calls, letters to the editor, support on blogs, etc. It’s too important and it’s our duty to try to save our great nation.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

He should give trying to speak, uh, grammatically and just uh spout his money lines.

“Good morning. Let me be clear – pre-existing millionaires and billionaires will be covered until they are 26 for the first time. I think at some point you’ve made enough Wall Street. Warren Buffet’s Secretary acted stupidly. The United States of America has no closer ally than the country of Europe. It turns out those shovel ready old folks are the people who staff our labs, start new businesses, and serve in our military.”

OK, maybe he’d better stick with ‘uhhhhhhhhhh’.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

uhhh, uhhh, uhhh BINGO! uhhh, uhhh, uhhh, I mean YAHTZEE!

fistbump on June 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

The Wizard of Uhs!

MrKleenexMuscles on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

It’s going to be up to Gov. Romney to convince these folks. It will probably be a tough sell since you would think that four years of Obama would encourage you to vote for just about anyone else. Maybe the people who are regularly beat up (verbally) for their intention not to vote for Gov. Romney are looking to be convinced by other commenters. I don’t like to be nagged at and called names but I do have to wonder what the thinking is to come here and open yourself up to that much criticism more than once.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Gladtobehere on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I guess, and it doesn’t help that they want so badly to keep them.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

…JugEars whole Precidency has been uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

This was also one of the things I disliked most about Gibbs as WH Press Secretary. His answers were filled with, uhh’s, etc. Isn’t public speaking taught to anyone anymore, especially to career politicians who need it the most?

LynnB74 on June 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Personally I don’t want to see our country ruined b/c people won’t wake up.

By staying home and not voting (or voting 3rd party) all they are really doing is voting for Obama.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

SCOAMF.

Maddie on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Uhhh, he won’t really need to worry about it after NO-vember 6th…

Khun Joe on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Even “Uhhh”bama’s white house press secretaries (Robert Gibbs and Jay Carney) punctuate their speech with uhhhs. I think it is done deliberately to desensitize the press and the public from the exalted one’s annoying speech habits.

eigafan on June 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You can take a horse to water……..

A lot of those folks will vote down ticket, just not for President. I know of at least on commenter who is worried about Gov. Romney’s Second Amendment views. I can’t discount their concerns as not viable, even though I have decided to vote for him. Like I said, hopefully Gov. Romney has the time to convince these folks. I try to tell myself that our system doesn’t allow one man to ruin the country but I have agree with you that Obama does some scary things.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The results, uhh, when TOTUS is uhh, broken, uhh down.

Whocares on June 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Someone should go back and count how many times he says “look” in that condescending manner in the third video.

hopeful on June 19, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Saying uhhh simply means he is soooo brilliant, he is using Spock-like precision to choose the perfect word. You peons don’t understand the 5-dimension chess this man is performing in his mind.

Schwalbe Me-262 on June 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM

You knuckle dragging racists!!11!!!elebinty

This is just more proof of how super scary smart Lord 0bama is.

jukin3 on June 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Has anyone done a study to see which teleprompter he has the most trouble with reading?

Looks like in these clips he either is reading one in front of him, or he is trying to wing it and while attempting it, making a sound example for why he needs someone eles to tell him, uhhh write, what to say, uhhh, what lines to read.

Yep, the smartest president we have ever had, but took one hit too many, too many times, in the choom mobile.

Franklyn on June 19, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I wonder how many “uhs” he uttered while talking to Putin yesterday?

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Lots.

“Uh……Uh…….Uh…….UH…….UH………UUUHHHH…….UUHHHHH……..UHHHHHH…….UUUUUHHHH…….UUUUUUHHHH…….UUUUUUUHHHHHH……..

Palomino!!!”

CurtZHP on June 19, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Speech peculiarities—and Obama has several others—are one symptom of Asperger’s Syndrome. He has several other symptoms of that as well.

stillings on June 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Incoherent, stuttering dolt.

Tim_CA on June 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

uh, because, you know, uh, uh, it is just wonderful to be back in Oregon, and over the last 15 months we’ve travelled, uh, to every corner of the United States. Uh, I’ve now been in fifty – … seven states , I think one left to go. Uh, one left to go. Uh, Alaska and Hawaii I was not allowed to go to, even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not, uh, justify it.

ITguy on June 19, 2012 at 12:22 PM

uhhhhhhhhhh CHOOM, CHOOM

jqc1970 on June 19, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Obama would do well to attend a few Toastmasters meetings. They have someone at each meeting counting uhs ems ers for each speaker. Helps bring awareness of the problem and the need to eliminate these verbal nonfluencies.

Of course, if he considers himself the chosen one, he doesn’t think he is doing anything wrong; he won’t change.

Mallard T. Drake on June 19, 2012 at 12:32 PM

“He’s always been misoverestimated, heh, eh, eh…miss me yet?” –GWB

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Uhh uhh uhh thingamajig!

Nutstuyu on June 19, 2012 at 12:58 PM

President Uh wants four more years. I think our proper response should be: “Uh uh.”

RebeccaH on June 19, 2012 at 3:08 PM

now we know why he was on law review as opposed to moot court….he can’t say five words in a row without uh, well…let me be clear, ah…..

Renee on June 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM