House Dems outraise Republicans in May

posted at 8:41 pm on June 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As Ed recounted this morning, the 25 seats the Democrats would need to win to retake control of the House this November seems like a mighty steep climb by most counts. Their political images largely rely on the success of their incumbent president, and seeing as how President Obama’s numbers aren’t looking too secure right now, Democrats definitely have cause for concern. However, while Romney out-fundraised President Obama in the month of May, the House Democrats campaign committee actually picked up more cash than their Republican counterparts in the same month, according to finance reports released today.

Democrats vying to reclaim the speaker’s gavel have raised about $10 million more than the Republicans this cycle, but Republicans have $6.5 million more in cash on hand.

In May, the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee brought in $6.7 million, while the National Republican Campaign Committee hauled in $6 million. In April, the NRCC outraised the DCCC by about $400,000. Democrats have raised $96.8 million in this cycle vs. Republicans’ $86.6 million. But by the end of May, the NRCC had $33.5 million in cash compared to the DCCC’s $27.5 million. Both committees are debt free.

Iiiinteresting. For smart and thorough analyses of the Congressional state of play, I like to refer to Larry Sabato’s crystal ball (full disclosure: Yes, I am a UVa grad, I’m biased!), and their most recent forecast concluded that Democrats’ chances are still decidedly grim, even after Arizona’s special election and upcoming redistricting.

Moving AZ-2 to the leans column leaves only 14 toss-ups among the 435 seats being contested in the fall. In total, the Crystal Ball rates 235 seats safe, likely or leaning for the Republicans, and rates 186 safe, likely or leaning for the Democrats. Split the toss-ups seven to seven, and one is left with 242 Republicans and 193 Democrats in the House: exactly the margin Republicans had to start this Congress.

Needless to say, there is no indication at this point that the Democrats can net the 25 seats that would give them a House majority; in fact, if Mitt Romney wins the presidency, Republicans could actually add seats to their already substantial caucus.

Comments

Those Hollywood bucks make a big difference.

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 8:47 PM

When they don’t give to charity,they have spare change to fund their fav. Corruptocrat…

hillsoftx on June 19, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Look people, as commenters and bloggers, we need to start pushing, and I mean pushing hard, how it is of critical importance that we all push the process of pushing that people donate $$ to conservative causes now!
Donate$

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

If we get the Senate too, I say F–k it and throw caution to the wind and get rid of the filibuster. We have several decades of BS that needs overturned from at least the days of LBJ. Reid already talked about getting rid of it anyway so he can’t b!tch even though you know he will cuz he’s just a hypocrite like that.

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Dems outraised Republicans in 2010. Fat luck it did them then.

Apologetic California on June 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Christ, who is donating to these vile pigs?

RedNewEnglander on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If they’re smart they’ll dump Piglosi after this election, but thankfully they’re not too smart.

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Larry Sabato has my district WA 1 as a lean D but I think its at least a toss up if not lean R. The Dems are going to have a drop down drag out primary fight where the current “front runner”, 2 time loser in WA 8 campaigns, Darcy Burner, is coming off as a hyper partisan with the estabishment Dems calling her out on her antics.

My old representative, Jay Inslee, who quit, has decided he would rather lose the race for WA Gov. than run for re election in the newly drawn more convservative district. Voters are not happy about Inslee quitting and hopefully will take it out on the Dem candidate in November.

This could really be fun.

AndrewsDad on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

“We’ve got to get money out of politics! Citizens United!! Special interests!! Buying politicians!!! Koch brothers!!!

…wait – we our raised them? Well then, ahem…

THIS-IS-HOW-DEMOCRACY-WORKS!!!!”

/libtard

The Count on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Gay dollars are all the rage this season.

Pork-Chop on June 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Christ, who is donating to these vile pigs?

RedNewEnglander on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Sarah Jessica Parker, George Cooney, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen, Soros, etc etc etc.

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

…it is of critical importance that we all push the process of pushing that people donate $$ to conservative causes now!

Ok, I meant to say: we should all advise each other to advise others to donate $ to conservatives. $ are the key. As commenters and bloggers, that we ourselves donate is helpful, but not the essential thing for us (as commenters & bloggers!). Advise others to…

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

D*mmitt,……D*mn those Deceitful DemoRats!!
(sarc)

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 9:00 PM

So I`m thinking,

are the House (D) Democrats,

the 1% of the DNC…..jus say`n!!

canopfor on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 PM

The Democrats have no chance of retaking the House.

Nancy Pelosi.

GarandFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It’s good to see all the pandermonium and legislating from the Oval Office haven’t been a complete dud for Barry.

HitNRun on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Well, I just sent some cash to Sarah Palin. I figure she’ll do a better job of putting my money into the hands of worthy conservatives than any of the traditional republican organizations.

trigon on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

AndrewsDad on June 19, 2012 at 8:54 PM
I donate much time and $$ to John Koster who is still ahead in the polling.

RNC, not so much.

Mr. Arrogant on June 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM

it is of critical importance that we all push the process of pushing

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Can’t we just push instead of pushing the process of pushing?

*rubs temples* … second derivative … change … carry the two …

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

So, now all that “dirty” money is ok.

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Christ, who is donating to these vile pigs?

RedNewEnglander on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

One group of vile pigs donates to the other. Well, isn’t that special?

Dems outraised Republicans in 2010. Fat luck it did them then.

Apologetic California on June 19, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Excellent point. Plus, this is the year of Obama the Albatross, even more now than in 2010.

OneVision on June 19, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Pic of the Day: The REAL War on Women

M2RB: Roger Daltrey

Resist We Much on June 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Ooo! Me scared! The ‘rats’ll get me!

Lanceman on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Resist We Much on June 19, 2012 at 9:18 PM

damn.

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Christ, who is donating to these vile pigs?

RedNewEnglander on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Don’t look at me. All my money goes to Lyndon LaRouche.

Lanceman on June 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

trigon on June 19, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Excellent! Though the traditional is good also. It’s all good, as they say.

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 9:33 PM

damn.

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 9:23 PM

All of it? The subject matter? The M2RB? The butchering bastards in China? Obama, Biden, Hillary, and Geithner’s appeasement = They work hard for the money…so hard, for it, honey?

Resist We Much on June 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

here’s a tidbit which shows that, actually, there’s little hope for the countries future:

tweet from James Taranto

Math is hard. RT @McCainBlogette: Apologies, I said the unemployment rate was at almost 9%, I have been corrected that it’s 8.5%.

r keller on June 19, 2012 at 9:47 PM

(however, we can laugh and mock people on the way down)

r keller on June 19, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Don’t even count on AZ-2. hell, I live in it and don’t even know what it is. Redistricting. All I know is that I live 50 miles from Mexico and my new district runs all the way to the Utah border. And maybe they can train Gabby to cry on cue in October. We have no candidate of mention. It’s not a loss, but not a gain either.

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Democracy for sale.

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

Who cares?

minnesoter on June 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

“This is what democracy looks like”: Stupid pinheads giving their money away to certain losers.

minnesoter on June 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

it is of critical importance that we all push the process of pushing

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Can’t we just push instead of pushing the process of pushing?

*rubs temples* … second derivative … change … carry the two …

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

:)…push the process of pushing…PR Newspeak :)…’it is a beauriful thing the destruction of words’ :)

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Beautiful that is..

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Christ, who is donating to these vile pigs?

RedNewEnglander on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

…the “Stimulus” money Joe Biden was personally going to account for…that disappeared!

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Can’t we just push instead of pushing the process of pushing? …

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM

No, not good enough! /s
Ok, LOL, what I’m saying is that you should say “you need to tell other people to donate $” in lieu of “you should donate $,” although both are great! Or say both, possibly, although that’s asking for a bit much. But KISS keep it simple, I’ve overcomplexated it.

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

White, Blue-Collar Canaries in the Democrats’ Electoral Coalmines

M2RB: John Mellencamp

Resist We Much on June 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

“However, while Romney out-fundraised President Obama in the month of May, the House Democrats campaign committee actually picked up more cash than their Republican counterparts in the same month…”

In spite of Geithner’s best efforts, cash isn’t an infinite resource. So why shouldn’t there be an inverse ratio here? With Obama’s dreckitude so wonderfully focusing the minds and wallets of Republican donors on the Presidential race, small wonder the other contests get a little shorted. Nor would I be surprised if a lot of disgruntled Democrats now find donating to closer-to-home concerns more palatable than throwing more money at the Won(ce).

sistrum on June 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Yay Citizens United!!!

inthemiddle on June 19, 2012 at 10:56 PM

No, not good enough!

anotherJoe on June 19, 2012 at 10:14 PM

lol. :)

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Please. Obama announced he cleared $14 million at Clooney’s palace. People who were there said maybe $4.5M.
And Pelosi and her cohorts are to be trusted?
Pass a budget.

pat on June 20, 2012 at 1:01 AM

2008 I gave a fat check to the McCain Palin fight for the White House, never, ever again will I donate to any political party. For years my mail box was full of mail begging for my donations from high offices down to county offices across the entire nation. I couldn’t believe it. I’m sure there are others that have the same tale as mine and this being an election year my phone rings daily around supper time to a political recording wanting my money and my vote and when it comes to the cell phone I’m charged for the call. I’m voting in November as I have for over fifty years and it won’t be changed by the radio TV media, mail or newspapers. No one is buying my vote.

mixplix on June 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM