FBI report: Violent crime down for the fifth straight year in a row

posted at 6:01 pm on June 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Nice. I completely missed this last week, but it is awesome and I think merits a little love.

Last week, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced that violent crime is down for the fifth straight year in a row, with violent crime across the country declining 4 percent compared to 2010.

The FBI also said Monday that the number of reported property crimes went down 0.8 percent, the ninth straight year-to-year decline.

The bureau says murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault all went down in 2011.

Violent crime decreased in all four regions: 4.9 percent in the Midwest; 4.7 percent in the West; 4.5 percent in the South and 0.8 percent in the Northeast.

Car theft, larceny, and burglary also saw modest drops.

Can it be a complete coincidence that the legal purchase of firearms and the number of people carrying said firearms has also been rising steadily? That gun manufacturers are having difficultly keeping up with the heavy demand for their products? I think not. Emily Miller has more:

“This is not a one-year anomaly, but a steady decline in the FBI’s violent-crime rates,” said Andrew Arulanandam, spokesman for the National Rifle Association. “It would be disingenuous for anyone to not credit increased self-defense laws to account for this decline.”

Mr. Arulanandam pointed out that only a handful of states had concealed-carry programs 25 years ago, when the violent-crime rate peaked. Today, 41 states either allow carrying without a permit or have “shall issue” laws that make it easy for just about any noncriminal to get a permit. Illinois and Washington, D.C., are the only places that refuse to recognize the right to bear arms. …

The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) serves as one of the best indicators of gun sales because it counts each time someone buys a gun. Checks hit an all-time high of 16.5 million last year. In the first five months of this year, the numbers have gone up 10 percent over the same period last year as Americans rush to the gun store in case President Obama decides to exercise “more flexibility” in restricting guns in a second term.

Oh, the irony! Despite all of his spectacularly terrible economic and regulatory policies bogging down the economy, President Obama has inadvertently spurred major growth in the firearms industry — a business his administration would clamp down on if only he were given the chance. It hurts so good.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

But it’s way up in Chicago where the geniuses reside like Rahm who won’t let people carry.

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

More guns, less crime. ‘Nuff said.

Then why do we need comments?

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

I think 8 people were murdered and 37 wounded in Chicago alone this weekend. That is certainly an anomaly and outlier when the trend is in the opposite direction. It is interesting to point on the location and the ….*ahem, cough* VIPs in the area over the weekend.

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Heh. Like me some Erika.

davidk on June 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Thank you president Obamma and Erick Holder.

the new aesthetic on June 19, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Simple math to me – and PASS the AMMO!!!!!!

Katfish on June 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

mr cmsinaz bought a gun for us a couple of months ago…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Read this report earlier today. Sig has a very nice handgun out with an excellent price point for those of you interested. Steel upper, polymer lower for about $350 at most shops. Pretty cheap for the quality. A great tool to help with crime prevention for the price also.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

How can this be? I thought all the cops, firemen and teachers were laid off?

ButterflyDragon on June 19, 2012 at 6:09 PM

OT: breaking news on cnn, holder wasn’t able to reach a deal with issa….wil the contempt move forward?

*crossing fingers*

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

really Bmore. A cheap Sig? I vill see…..I’ve been considering a shotgun lately but this may change my mind.

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Someone go look up violent crime stats for D.C. and Chicago on the FBI website. Let’s see if those 2 population centers are following the overall trend (yoy/-10yr). My bets are on ‘no’.

preallocated on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

OT: lsm is just besides themselves about this ‘so called fast and furious scandal that was started under bush’

YOU LIE!

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM

we got a ruger lc9…i like it…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Here is a review if you are interested.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

No gas, no crime.

Cheap gas kills people.

faraway on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

“Straight years” usually are “in a row”

Turdherder on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

thanks Bmore good review.

*noted.

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Remember that movie with the bar scene somewhere in Texas where something happened and everybody pulled a gun?

Let’s just say the chances of another Killeen Luby’s incident are remote down here. I doubt that Nadal deal at the base could have happened in town.

DanMan on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

But, but, but Trayvon Martin!

/s

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

One year, maybe. Multiple years? Not a chance.

One of the worst things cops ever did, starting in the 70′s was to urge people to ‘be good victims and good witnesses’. IF they lived.

GarandFan on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

I’ll forward this article to Seattle Mayor McSchwinn.

Mr. Arrogant on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

My only problem in confronting a bad guy in the house would be what would be the best choice of deterent? Do I go with the mild recoil of the .380? The .45 ACP, .45 Colt, 41 Mag, 9mm, .357 Mag, .38 Spl, .38 S&W, 9mm Makarov, or just the 12 gauge (but which one?) Rifle rounds would just be too much over penetration, but the bayonet on the SKS adds a different element. Choice, choices. I think I will go ad polish my guns (that isn’t just a metaphore.)

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Obama to take credit in 3…2…1….

hillsoftx on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

What, what there wasn’t a spectacular increase in crime after Arizona authorized concealed carry without a permit. HA progressive trolls hearth broken that once again legal gun ownership didn’t lead to gunfights at the OK Corral.

chemman on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

we got a ruger lc9…i like it…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

That seems like it would be a nice choice for you. The SR9 is under recall if I’m not mistaken.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Heck of a price point for a Sig product. My advice buy two. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

been to the shooting range a few times, i’m comfortable with it….sr9-good to know…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

More guns, less crime. ‘Nuff said.

Actually we have Mayor Bloomberg to thank for crime reduction. Less sugar, starch and salt in food makes jack a dull boy (but less violent) (LOL).

MaiDee on June 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

All the good stuff already has been stolen.

viking01 on June 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

LOL. I’ll need a new monitor for that belly roll you provided.

chemman on June 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I chalk it up to more people who commit crimes in prison and the fact that the recession has resulted in illegals returning home or not coming here to begin with.

Blake on June 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Bush’s fault, oh wait, this is good news. Credit to Odumbo.

rjoco1 on June 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:12 PM

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

You youngsters and your new fangled firearms.

In my day we bought Colt, Smith&Wesson and Browning. Then along came IMI and I didn’t need any other new fangled hardware. Especially those plastic guns. What’s up with that?

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Workforce reductions in the choom gangs.

pedestrian on June 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

i’m delicate :)

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I own each of what you listed. In some instances multiples. I am not as big on polymer as some. I do enjoy the easy cleaning aspect of the newer weapons. Cleaning the afore mentioned Sig is so much easier than say my Colt 1911 ACP commander.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Seems to be up in Obamaland Chicago though.

There are 228 dead: That’s the number of murders this year in Chicago. It’s nearly twice as many as the number of Americans lost on the battlefields of Afghanistan over these last six months. And the number of deaths is up 35 percent over the same period last year.

farsighted on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Thanks to Gov Scott Walker signing conceal/carry into law, I’ve gotten my CC license, shot a gun, and received a Sig Sauer P250 for my 50th B-day! Once I get more practice, I will carry, ‘cept when I have to drive into IL for my job (Come ON Bammieville, you’re the last freakin’ hold out state!)

Sasha List on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

ppk in the hot months
ppq in the spring and fall
1911 in the winter..

Life is good.

vinceautmorire on June 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Good point, plus one must consider clean up, not the gun although that is also important.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

You youngsters and your new fangled firearms.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I am proud to say that I own nothing with “space-age polymer”. The 1911 is still top tier. I love my AMT Longslide 1911 with a 7 inch tube.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

I love my AMT Longslide 1911 with a 7 inch tube.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Dang you! I passed on a longslide for the Desert Eagle. Never did get that longslide. Or AMT’s automag…Go ahead, make my day.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:35 PM

That should have been AMC, not AMT.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Slightly off track; Michelle Malkin’s daughter turned 12 today and as a birthday present, she was taken to the shooting range. Is this a great country , or what!

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Smith&Wesson 9MM looks out over Little 7% and myself very well, thank you very much…!

Seven Percent Solution on June 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM

That should have been AMC, not AMT.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

No, Arcadia Machine and Tool. High Standard has bought the AMT name and now manufactures the Back-up series here in Houston.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Oh yeah, and they had to frisk all the guests at Valerie Jarrets daughters wedding. Guess we know who’s packing in Chi-town. All the libs who pass gun control on the “little people”!

SMACKRUNNER on June 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

We’ve had five murders in Omaha since CWS started. We have a *lot* of black on black killings here…

OmahaConservative on June 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

That was the age I was when my dad got me my first firearm.

And yes, it is a great country, at least the neanderthal parts.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

1895 Chilean Mauser 7mm (Hog Killer)
Smith & Wesson Lady Smith’s 9mm
Mossberg 270
Mossberg 410
Mossberg pump 12 gauge – holds 8 shells

We still deadbolt the doors at night.

AubieJon on June 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I am the one whop made the mistake. I wrote AMT instead of AMC.

Auto Mag Corporation. Maker of the original auto loading magnum pistol. When Dirty Harry used one the prices skyrocketed. Kinda’ like the Delorean. The price had gotten down to almost where I could afford one, the John went and got himself busted for cocaine trafficking. That bummed me out almost as much as it bummed him out.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM

ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

The Chcago PD managed to find 200 police officers to guard Frau Jarrett’s daughter’s wedding last weekend. I wonder to what extent the criminals decided that the weekend was a freebie.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Seems to be up in Obamaland Chicago though.

farsighted on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The Democrats here flat out do not want law-abiding people on the South and West sides (read: blacks) to be able to exercise their rights and defend themselves, their families, and their property with guns. It disgusts me and is reason #549343 why I could never bring myself to vote for any Democrat.

visions on June 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Only that initial batch (2007 through early 2008) were subject to the recall. Any SR-9 with a visible two-part trigger has been retrofitted and is fine. They now look like Glock triggers rather than a single blade.

flyfisher on June 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

No one was killed before guns were invented; take them away and we will have peace in our cities again.

Bishop on June 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 19, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Nothing wrong with that. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

I’ll bet Holder’s body count is through the roof and going strong for 3 years now.

viking01 on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

flyfisher on June 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Yes I just got through reading about it. Thanks. ; )

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Hmmm, looks like SOMEBODY in chicago has guns.

44Magnum on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Bishop on June 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM

There is always the ultra cheap but reliable rock.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Whenever someone says that guns are only made for killing people, I tell that I have been using mine wrong for all of these decades by shooting at paper targets and I thank them for setting me straight.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I hope everyone has heard about the * Buy a new gun on election day drive* prove a point to ALL the anti gun politicians ………

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Hmmm, looks like SOMEBODY in chicago has guns.

44Magnum on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

All gangbangers over the age of ten. And some who are younger than ten.

farsighted on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

We had a fatal shooting here a few weeks back.

It stopped a 2 week string of 3-a-nite robberies when a convenience store clerk popped the guy dead. One guy was basically a citywide danger as the cops did nothing.

It made the early morning radio news then … nothing.

orbitalair on June 19, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Cozmo @ 6:24
I totally agree, I don’t like plastic guns, beat your hands up. I had a Glock 23, .40 . They are nice guns, but if you shoot for pure enjoyment or protection, nothing beats a steal frame……..

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

That’s my dilemma too – My FNH 5.7 is under my desktop, Beretta Mod 9000S .40cal in the LR couch, Beretta Mod 96 .40cal in the bath, LC9 in my studio, Sig P220 .45 in the BR (next to the 12ga Mossberg pump) the 1911 in my car, the Sig .380 for my cargo pants, the .22Mag derringer for my fob pockets, while my other 20 or so handguns languish in the safe, along with the AR15, the AK47, the SKS, the FN Bullpup, some varmint guns, shotguns and several thousand rounds of ammo. Starting to feel “the itch” for some range time today just thinking about it.

Mrs. Harbingeing says the only thing that scares her more than having all these guns in the house is… NOT having all these guns in the house! Gawd I love that woman!

Harbingeing on June 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Another top-notch post, Erika. For what it’s worth, I’m impressed.

Now with concealed carry legalized in Wisconsin, expect the crime numbers in Milwaukee to tumble, contributing to a wonderful trend. Anyone notice that politicians never talk about crime anymore? Anyone notice that politicians rarely talk about more gun control?

They’re not unrelated.

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Paraphrasing Jeff Cooper, the job of your handgun is to keep you alive long enough to reach your shotgun.

Socratease on June 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Bmore
yep and SOME ppl still use rocks………..

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 PM

A post talking about both guns and Deloreans? I just got an erection.

A note: John DeLorean was actually acquitted on the drug charges. It was pure entrapment on the Fed’s part.

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

MadCon@7:04
I agree………

angrymike on June 19, 2012 at 7:09 PM

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Any of those pistol calibers will work just fine (real fine, not 0bama fine)…if you have Glasers, or hydra-shocks.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Blake on June 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

You chalk it up to anything you want. The chalk outlines on the pavement every weekend in gun-free Chicago tells the real story.

Yoop on June 19, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Harbingeing on June 19, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Mrs. cozmo doesn’t like the thousands of rounds of ammunition in the garage. Along with the reloading supplies.

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

The damage had been done and the price of a Delorean went out of my grasp.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Rifle rounds would just be too much over penetration…

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Depends on the caliber and environment. Generally speaking, if you live in a house as opposed to an apartment or condo, hollow point rifle rounds in 5.56, .223 or even .308 are safe for self defense, and generally the best solution in terms of ammo count(not to mention the visual deterrent). In a combined living space like an apartment, your best bet is magnum buckshot rounds in a nice Mossberg 500.

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Yup… if you’re using modern defensive ammo most anything will get the job done.

That said, I don’t plan on carrying anything less than 9mm.

Started building my collection this year, right around the time I got my CC license. Feels good.

Aquarian on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

That said, I don’t plan on carrying anything less than 9mm.

Aquarian on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

The only pistol I ever fired for its intended purpose was a .380 Government Model.

It worked just fine (real fine). It also had Silver Tips in it.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Excewpt Chicago, where they banned guns.

tarpon on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Arrest and incarceration for non-violent drug offenses way up!

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:14 PM

00 Buckshot will punch through 10+ pieces of sheetrock at close range.

Really not a good idea in an apartment at all.

Anyway, the point of this story is that we need to HIDE THE DECLINE.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. Robert A. Heinlein

Dingbat63 on June 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Arrest and incarceration for non-violent drug offenses way up!

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Can you back that up? Or, is it another factoid that your delusional mind came up with?

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Dingbat63 on June 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM

A wise man (except for that guarding the basket thing) taken before his time.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Excellent news.

cheetah2 on June 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

It worked just fine (real fine). It also had Silver Tips in it.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:17 PM

This is what I keep in my vehicle.

Years ago A gun writer (Finn Agaard, I believe) built some false walls to simulate a typical house or apartment. After much shooting, the final analysis was all rifle rounds would over penetrate, most pistol rounds were too much, and the 12 guage with No. 4 shot was the best choice.

The testing was pretty extensive and well done.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I’ve been considering a shotgun lately but this may change my mind.
ted c on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

If you decide to go with the shotgun, you might want to consider the totally bad a$$ new Kel Tec KSG – I think it runs about $900, but that monster holds 15 shells.

WhatSlushfund on June 19, 2012 at 7:30 PM

…the final analysis was all rifle rounds would over penetrate…
DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 7:29 PM

And that is why my indoor AR is chambered for 9mm.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 7:32 PM

…one nice thing about my shotgun…I don’t need to practise…it always hits what I point it at!

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2012 at 7:40 PM

“When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. – Luke 11:21”

flyfisher on June 19, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Arrest and incarceration for non-violent drug offenses way up!

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Incarceration of non-violent criminals is why violent crime is down?

That’s an interesting and extremely unexpected argument from you.

Source?

Socratease on June 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I’ve recently added a disorienting light using this mount, too. Surprisingly sturdy and holds true.

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

00 Buckshot will punch through 10+ pieces of sheetrock at close range.

Really not a good idea in an apartment at all.
CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

#8 buckshot tested best for flesh damage without passthrough.

Harbingeing on June 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

00 Buckshot will punch through 10+ pieces of sheetrock at close range.

Really not a good idea in an apartment at all.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

You don’t have many better alternatives. Rifle rounds can easily pierce a wall and keep going at lethal speed, as can slugs. Unless you’re going to take a chance on birdshot, which may work but I don’t consider cutting corners on self-defense to be very smart, buckshot is your best bet. Either that, or you take a chance on pistol rounds. Too big a caliber, though, and you have just as much of a risk of piercing walls, even with hollow points.

Besides, if you’re firing point-blank into a wall with no target between you and it, it doesn’t matter what weapon you’re using.

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM

What is this “disorienting light”?

Harbingeing on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

You know, I’ve got a collection of firearms that will take on about anything in North America and most other continents that I would want to hunt. Self defense is covered. I’m good when the zombie apocalypse comes to pass. But you folks make me want to go shopping!

Hazzard on June 19, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Sasha List on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Pure awesomeness. Nothing better than a post like this from a citizen finally free to exercise rights. I will hoist one in a toast to you at dinner tonight.

We are all so proud of what y’all have been doing in Wisconsin!

juliesa on June 19, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Chicagoland – Police To Hold Gun Turn-In Event This Weekend

Schadenfreude on June 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Emily Miller has been doing some nice gun rights reporting this year. Shout out to her.

juliesa on June 19, 2012 at 8:04 PM

MadisonConservative on June 19, 2012 at 7:55 PM

If you’re ever unfortunate enough to have to shoot indoors at an intruder, rest assured, you will miss some of your shots. It makes sense to consider what you’re using against that background.

Check out boxotruth – they’ve done pen tests in a controlled environment.

5.56 starts to tumble and fragment through sheetrock where 00 buck will punch straight through. Then again so will .338 Lapua.

There are alternatives to buckshot and birdshot – no easy answers but certainly less risky ones.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

remember gun control laws have absolutely nothing to do with crime control, gun control laws are designed by liberals to disarm law abiding citizens and law abiding citizens only.

Beastdogs on June 19, 2012 at 8:07 PM