FBI report: Violent crime down for the fifth straight year in a row

posted at 6:01 pm on June 19, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Nice. I completely missed this last week, but it is awesome and I think merits a little love.

Last week, the Federal Bureau of Investigation announced that violent crime is down for the fifth straight year in a row, with violent crime across the country declining 4 percent compared to 2010.

The FBI also said Monday that the number of reported property crimes went down 0.8 percent, the ninth straight year-to-year decline.

The bureau says murder and non-negligent manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault all went down in 2011.

Violent crime decreased in all four regions: 4.9 percent in the Midwest; 4.7 percent in the West; 4.5 percent in the South and 0.8 percent in the Northeast.

Car theft, larceny, and burglary also saw modest drops.

Can it be a complete coincidence that the legal purchase of firearms and the number of people carrying said firearms has also been rising steadily? That gun manufacturers are having difficultly keeping up with the heavy demand for their products? I think not. Emily Miller has more:

“This is not a one-year anomaly, but a steady decline in the FBI’s violent-crime rates,” said Andrew Arulanandam, spokesman for the National Rifle Association. “It would be disingenuous for anyone to not credit increased self-defense laws to account for this decline.”

Mr. Arulanandam pointed out that only a handful of states had concealed-carry programs 25 years ago, when the violent-crime rate peaked. Today, 41 states either allow carrying without a permit or have “shall issue” laws that make it easy for just about any noncriminal to get a permit. Illinois and Washington, D.C., are the only places that refuse to recognize the right to bear arms. …

The FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) serves as one of the best indicators of gun sales because it counts each time someone buys a gun. Checks hit an all-time high of 16.5 million last year. In the first five months of this year, the numbers have gone up 10 percent over the same period last year as Americans rush to the gun store in case President Obama decides to exercise “more flexibility” in restricting guns in a second term.

Oh, the irony! Despite all of his spectacularly terrible economic and regulatory policies bogging down the economy, President Obama has inadvertently spurred major growth in the firearms industry — a business his administration would clamp down on if only he were given the chance. It hurts so good.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I chalk it up to more people who commit crimes in prison and the fact that the recession has resulted in illegals returning home or not coming here to begin with.

Blake on June 19, 2012 at 6:23 PM

You chalk it up to anything you want. The chalk outlines on the pavement every weekend in gun-free Chicago tells the real story.

Yoop on June 19, 2012 at 7:12 PM

If Illinois and Chicago were to get a constitutional enema WRT their gun laws, the criminal on criminal crime you would not expect to change, so they would still have a huge body count every week. The place is full of ‘em.

bbhack on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Meanwhile, black on White attacks continue to rise. See the book “White Girl Bleeds A Lot or the new book, Black Serial Killers.

It appears that part of the “lessening” of violent crime is police departments skewing the numbers or outright making the crimes “not happen”.

See HERE

Bulletchaser on June 19, 2012 at 8:24 PM

What is this “disorienting light”?

Harbingeing on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Some black tactical flashlights offer randomized strobe patterns. I saw one demonstrated at night and it made me want to puke. The randomness seems to be the key. Human vision can apparently adapt to set strobes pretty quickly.

***please don’t click if you’re epileptic***

Youtube link to a brief demonstration. It starts right before the strobe. It’s not me and not my light, but just shows one in use for a moment.

***please don’t click if you’re epileptic***

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Just a question; Wouldn’t the strobe be disorienting to the user as well? That might be a liability.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 8:25 PM

I guess I’m not an epileptic because that was pretty boring.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

I love my Ruger P95. 15+1, extra clip = 31. light as all get out. I’m never without it. Federal LE hydroshocks.

But a reasonably priced SIG?

Hmmmm. Polymer lowers for someone that carries all the time are great. You really come to love the light carry weight. It just carries better. 1911 platform is heavy and I was always having to readjust it. Or keep my belt so tight it was uncomfortable.

By the way, Ed. I’m digging Erika’s submissions. She’s pretty good.

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I guess I’m not an epileptic because that was pretty boring.

slickwillie2001 on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Ha. I don’t know if a video would do it, but better safe than sorry. And I’ll admit I’d want someone to post warnings if most folks could watch but it was something that might hurt me.

DAT60A3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:55 PM

It’s surprisingly easier to look through because there isn’t a concentrated bright spot in your field of vision. I’d say, as with anything, don’t let when you need it be the first time you’ve seen it. Things look weird (and epileptics might have a problem on either side of the weapon), but it’s manageable. Maybe hawkdriver or some of our other military/gun guys have better input into the mechanics.

Two important things (prompted my initial impression/interest and why I ordered it):

1) The shotgun will never leave my home, and I am very familiar with anything I’d be looking at. My wife is in law enforcement and a fine pistol shot (.45ACP). We’ve got defensive plans in place, and anything out of place (mostly meaning “in front of us”) would be very noticeable.

2) I’m crippled up pretty badly and incapable of easy movement or physically fighting. As quickly as life-threatening incidents happen, if I can see and force even a one second “oh crap” hesitation on the part of the bad guy it should be a definite advantage for the defense of my family.

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Not if you live in Chicago. 7 killed 37 wounded last weekend.

Sparty on June 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Not if you live in Chicago. 7 killed 37 wounded last weekend.

Sparty on June 19, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Even got O’Reilly’s attention tonight. Seems to be gang related. Killing random people for street cred.

Christian Conservative on June 19, 2012 at 9:58 PM

5.56 starts to tumble and fragment through sheetrock where 00 buck will punch straight through. Then again so will .338 Lapua.

There are alternatives to buckshot and birdshot – no easy answers but certainly less risky ones.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Yepper, I think most folks will agree that a .338 Lapua is probably not the best choice for home defense. However, if you are concerned about unwanted “downstream affects”, a 5.56/.223 – with proper bullet selection – can be a better choice than a handgun.

If you have access to an outdoor range that will allow it (most won’t) or a friend’s farm, you can spend a lovely afternoon with a couple of purpose built “walls” running these experiments for yourself using your own weapons and chosen ammo. It’s better than taking someone else’s word for it. Not to mention a heck of a lotta fun.

climbnjump on June 19, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Flashing lights and noise have long been tactical advantage. The party deploying them knows they are forthcoming. I can see that working. I just doubt most most close quarters combat sits would allow the time for effect. I can’t see it affective in seconds. Minutes, perhaps.

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Do they make frangibles in .223?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Good News for Obama

Gun sales are up about 50% from last year’s banner numbers.

Gun manufacturing is the one private-sector industry “doing fine” on Mr. Obama’s watch. Sturm, Ruger Co. sold 1 million firearms in the first quarter of 2012 – an amazing 50 percent increase from the first quarter of 2011. The jump was so steep that the company stopped accepting orders from March to May to catch up with demand for its products.

Last month, Smith Wesson announced a firearm-order backlog of approximately $439 million by the end of April, up 135 percent from the same quarter in 2011. Sales in that period were up 28 percent from 2011 and 14 percent over its own predictions to investors. NSSF estimates the industry is responsible for approximately 180,000 jobs and has an annual impact on the U.S. economy of $28 billion.

J_Crater on June 19, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’m not buying the stats. Look at Chicago — the violence is worse than Afghanistan.

And now the dopes in city hall are asking people to turn in their guns! Sure, and be sitting ducks for the gangs.

$100 for Gun Turn In

PattyJ on June 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Do they make frangibles in .223?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I don’t know. But, with a weight of 55grains, there isn’t much of a bullet there to disintegrate.

Yeah, I know there are those who will swear by the studies done on .223 falling apart and bouncing around. That is what it was designed for.

Y’all know the test every gun owner can do about finding out about striking force?…the exploding bottle of water?

Bullet type didn’t matter in my test (ball, soft point, hollow point). Barrel length didn’t matter (long, short, medium). Heck, even the “not exactly legal” “real fast firing” would do it (but it was really fun)The bullets drilled right through the jug every time. Even when mostly empty. Somewhere around 500 rounds and too many different types of plastic jugs to remember.

That thing just goes sooo fast…

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Do they make frangibles in .223?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Yes, but it isn’t necessary. Most .223 varmint loads with 50-55 grain bullets intended for the “4 legged and furry” kind will also work well on the “2 legged” kind. You will want to stay away from FMJ loads – they don’t always tumble and break up when going through sheetrock.

climbnjump on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Do they make frangibles in .223?

wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Here you go. Some good information.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 10:42 PM

The crime all migrated to Chicago cuz Mayor “tiny dancer” Rahmbo is such a great mayor, statesman, leader and role model. They stopped all that violence during the NATO summit but it’s leaking out the south side.

stukinIL4now on June 19, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Do they make frangibles in .223?
wolly4321 on June 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Most .223 varmint loads with 50-55 grain bullets…
climbnjump on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Sorry to post more than a couple of times, but I’ve got to agree. I keep a backup AR with old-ish 55 grain Winchester Nosler Ballistic Tips in the safe. I’ve deer hunted with that bullet in a .308 and it was a horror show afterwards. The rounds are truly viscous. The AR setup is intended for coyotes or rabid what-nots around here, but if the shotgun was spent I would have no problem using those rounds.

My situation is different than most (middle of country, no concern about over-penetration so long as family is behind us). The Noslers probably pose some penetration concern, but nothing like ball ammo.

If I lived in an apartment or densely-packed neighborhood I’d probably do a lot of shot-size research regarding penetration, buy a used $200 Mossberg, and call it a day.

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 11:12 PM

So, I was thinking about buying a gun for personal protection; which is better .9mm or 45? Or should I get the Desert Eagle.

Kenosha Kid on June 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Or should I get the Desert Eagle.

Kenosha Kid on June 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Everybody should have a Desert Eagle.

cozmo on June 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM

True story:

I was at Jim’s Gun/Pawn in Fayetteville years and years ago, and I was shooting a little High Standard pistol I’ve have since my younger days. Iron sights, 15 yards, and I was keeping respectable groups. My arm and aim moved almost three inches to my left as a huge report went off directly to my right. It was a fellow who had just bought one of the DE .50s and was trying it out at 7 yards in the booth next to mine. He was everywhere on the target. I felt sort of bad for him. Expensive gun, but I think he was apprehensive about pulling the trigger.

Regardless, I had to shoot in between him. Plink, WHOOM!!, plink, plink, WHOOM!!!, and each time the shockwave would push my arm to the left.

It was one of the most bizarre shooting experiences I’d ever had.

rogerb on June 19, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Yep, just wait until a single decimal point increase from one year to the next. The libs will be all over that shouting for gun control to stop the terrible escalation of violent crime! eleventy!1!!

AZfederalist on June 20, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Kenosha Kid on June 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

You trying to ignite a religious war?

:-)

BTW, the answer to your questions are, “both” and “yes”.

AZfederalist on June 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Oh, the irony!

No irony here…just a very inconvenient truth.

Jaibones on June 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

You trying to ignite a religious war?

:-)

BTW, the answer to your questions are, “both” and “yes”.

AZfederalist on June 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Well yeah. :) FWIW I agree on “both”, but not the “yes”. ‘Cause I don’t have a boat.

Kenosha Kid on June 20, 2012 at 12:18 AM

FBI report: Violent crime down for the fifth straight year in a row

Any average moron, paying even minimal attention, could have told you this.

Abundant statistics show overwhelmingly that states and cities that are gun friendly (ie. conceal carry, carry, and stand your ground) are way down in violent crime.

Those states and cities that make it hard for the innocent citizen to protect themselves, and their families, still have very grim violent crime stories and statistics. This is an outrage, and the politicians behind this outrage should be held accountable.

BigSven on June 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM

$100 for Gun Turn In

PattyJ on June 19, 2012 at 10:29 PM

It’s a gift card, not cash. I would consider turning in my POS Jennings .380 for $100.00 cash so I could put it towards a S&W Shield 9mm (I already have a better .380 and a .40 cal.) I haven’t had a 9mm since I sold my Firestar 20 years ago. Of course, then I’d have to get some 9mm carbide dies for my reloading press, etc. What a shame. I could go ultra-cheap and buy a Hi-Point. They function but Lord they are so ugly.

SKYFOX on June 20, 2012 at 5:45 AM

Kenosha Kid on June 19, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Actually, “Any gun will do if YOU will do”.

Remember that the gun is just a tool, you are the weapon. Take good care of your tools, but TRAIN (and never stop training) your “weapon”.

climbnjump on June 20, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Why do you let so many threads die after you present your data and/or open ended argument?

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Which threads are those?

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 8:33 AM

8 dead and 35 wounded. These thugs are horrible marxmen.

Bevan on June 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM

“fifth straight year in a row.” Is there not an editor in hillbilly gun town?

sob0728 on June 20, 2012 at 9:10 AM

The gun-control folks can, of course, continue to argue that it is impossible to PROVE that “more guns” = “less crime.”

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone argue that lower crime rates are attributable to global warming and the internet, because people are so enervated by rising temperatures that they stay indoors on the computer and interact less with anyone in person.

I also predict that we’ll soon hear some poor, mystified soul say, “Crime rates are going down. Why are so many people buying guns?”

But the gun controllers have been arguing for decades that more guns = MORE crime. The FBI stats and the figures on gun sales blow that argument out of the water.

Which is why this is the money quote from Emily Miller’s article:

If the gun grabbers were right, we’d be in the middle of a crime wave, considering how many guns are on the streets.

It’s therefore not surprising that “The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence did not respond to requests for comment.”

Owen Glendower on June 20, 2012 at 2:02 PM

FBI report: Violent crime down for the fifth straight year in a row

Any average moron, paying even minimal attention, could have told you this.

BigSven on June 20, 2012 at 4:32 AM

But, but, what about chicago? one of the lowest gun ownership rates in the country. I’m sure it’s very safe?

acyl72 on June 20, 2012 at 2:39 PM