ABC: Rubio not being vetted for Veepstakes

posted at 9:21 am on June 19, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Well, at least he hasn’t been vetted, although two months is a long time to wait to get started on someone who’s supposed to be a short-lister for the running-mate slot.  ABC News’ Jonathan Karl reports that sources on Team Romney claim Marco Rubio has not been asked to provide any of the usual financial disclosures to the VP search committee — yet:

Even before the Republicans chose a presidential nominee it was widely assumed that Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., would be at the top of anybody’s list of vice presidential candidates. The reasons are obvious: Not only is he young, charismatic and wildly popular with conservatives, but he could also help Republicans win a key state (Florida) and make inroads with Hispanics.

But knowledgeable Republican sources tell me that Rubio is not being vetted by Mitt Romney’s vice presidential search team. He has not been asked to complete any questionnaires or been asked to turn over any financial documents typically required of potential vice presidential candidates.

Although it is possible that Rubio may yet be asked to go through the vetting process, it has been nearly two months since Romney named his long-time aide Beth Myers to run his vice presidential search. The fact that Rubio has not been asked to turn over any documents by now is a strong indication that he is not on Romney’s short list of potential running mates.

Check the calendar.  It’s June.  It wouldn’t take long for the committee to vet Rubio if they decide he’s worth a look for the short list, and Romney won’t announce his pick until just before the convention.  They could have a profile of Rubio ready by the middle of next month at the latest, assuming that the immigration order announced by Barack Obama on Friday pushed Team Romney into reaction mode.

Clearly, though, it hasn’t.  Romney didn’t bother to engage on the policy itself over the weekend, choosing to attack Obama’s unilateral assumption of authority instead, as well as point out that Obama could have solved this problem any time in the first two years of his presidency, as his own party had solid control of Congress.  Rubio spoke out this weekend in the same vein, which he did with me in an exclusive* interview, primarily to talk about his new book An American Son but also to discuss the immigration issue:

Rubio insists that the White House not only never reached out to him on immigration policy, they attempted to deliberately obstruct his progress on finding a bipartisan compromise on the issue.  The Obama administration clearly fears Rubio’s power on immigration (and probably foreign policy and the economy as well).  They may have feared most that he would succeed on immigration reform and make himself into a powerful VP choice for Romney.  But that sells Rubio short.  After all, he just arrived in the US Senate, and has plenty of time to build his own career rather than get lost as someone else’s VP.  A term in the Senate and perhaps one as governor of Florida would put Rubio in position to lead a ticket rather than be a second banana.

I’m not surprised that Team Romney hasn’t vetted Rubio as a potential running mate.  Their best bet would be to look at the ranks of governors (Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez, Rick Perry) and hype the uber-competence credentials of such a combination.

* – Using the media definition of “exclusive,” which is “no one else was on our specific call at the same time.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

If ABC knows crap about anything, then Mitt Romney isn’t doing his job.

wildcat72 on June 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Just not Pawlenty…

gumbyandpokey on June 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

The book cover makes me want to puke.

aniptofar on June 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Hopefully, Rubio is on the LONG LIST of NO’s.

Pork-Chop on June 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Agree Ed

I like him but want him stay where he is for now

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Just as well. Senators don’t make good presidents and the whole point of the VP job is to have somebody who’s ready and able to step into the top job should the need arise.

A competent governor like Jindal would be a better choice.

AZCoyote on June 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Like Ruthie says, “Those who know don’t talk. And those who talk don’t know.”

Fallon on June 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

To take him of the table makes no sense whatsoever…

JohnGalt23 on June 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Rubio may be too early in his national political career at this point. His selection will be painted as pandering to Hispanics. And the allegation of him improperly using a Florida Republican Party credit card for personal expenses will be adjudicated again and be a distraction for the few months between the convention and November.

bayview on June 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I’m not surprised that Team Romney hasn’t vetted Rubio as a potential running mate. Their best bet would be to look at the ranks of governors (Tim Pawlenty, Bobby Jindal, Nikki Haley, Susana Martinez, Rick Perry) and hype the uber-competence credentials of such a combination.

Rubio is a rising star in the GOP but, face it, his resume at this point is almost as thin as Obama’s was when he was elected President and look how that worked out. Plus, I’m not so sure that Rubio would do much to bolster conservatives wary that Romney is too muc of a moderate. In comparison, Jindal has served in the HHS, as a Congressman, and successful Governor. Bottom line, there are better choices than Rubio for this particular election cycle.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I was hoping for a Rubio or a Rand Paul. It now looks it’s going to be a Pawlenty or a Danials…..or ever worse…a Huckabee.

PUKE.

ModerateMan on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Little Marco should go back to FL, shut up, and wait to be unseated in 3.5 years. RINO!

Mr. Arrogant on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The panderer in chief sabotaging true bipartisan work

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The book cover makes me want to puke.

aniptofar on June 19, 2012 at 9:25 AM

That’s enough from you, Miss Meghan McCain. We know your new book is already in the discount bin.

Marcus on June 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hierarchy of trustworthy mainstream media:

1. North Korean Leader’s Daily
2. Holy Iranian Jihad Times
3. Venezualan Courrier
4. Pravda
5. Al Jazeera
…..
…..
87. ABC/NBC/CBS/NPR

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 9:32 AM

I’m hoping Jindal is picked. Young and has executive experience so Dems can’t use that. i’m sure he’ll be called a racist, but that’s nothing new.

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Rubio’s a one-term senator with no accomplishments to his name yet. Inexperienced and unready to assume the presidency. Hmmm, sounds like somebody I’ve heard of before. The Dems would find some way to excoriate Romney for making such a pick, while pointing out that at least Obama has ‘experience’ now. I think it’ll be a governor and it’ll be Jindal.

Trafalgar on June 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Does Romney care enough about any issue to comment on it, you know, publicly? This guy absolutely reeks of Bush 41. And while were on the subject of Bushies, Portman is the worst possible pick for VP. A big spending Bush budget guy, when 3/4 of (ignorant)American public blame Bush’s budget for the problems we’re facing? Are you F’in kidding me. Also, no Pawlenty or Daniels.
If Romney would have attended the RightOnline convention he would known how dispassionate his support is among conservatives. It would be a critical mistake to take us for granted by choosing a demoralizing pick (i.e. a Big Government BushBot) as his VP.

AmeriCuda on June 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

It would just give the press another excuse to run stories about Mormonism, since Rubio is an ex-Mormon.

RBMN on June 19, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Agree Ed

I like him but want him stay where he is for now

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

…ditto!…he needs to ‘age’ a little bit.

KOOLAID2 on June 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

1) JINDAL!
2) JINDAL!
3) JINDAL!

AmeriCuda on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

John Sunununununu for VP!!!

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I love Jindal and maybe I’m in the Twilight Zone, but I’d rather see Chris Christie or Scott Walker if he’s choosing governors. Perry has gotten on my last nerve with his Dewhurst support. It’s not like Texas and Louisiana aren’t in the bag anyway.

Marcus on June 19, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Any shot Rubio had of being Romney’s VP went out the window when 0bama granted amnesty to 800,000 illegal aliens.

I suspect neutralizing the Rubio threat was one of the secondary reasons Soetoro granted amnesty to those illegals. No matter that Rubio, unlike Barry, sought to grant amnesty through Constitutional process.

MidniteRambler on June 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

It’ll be Portman. And, don’t forget to eat your spinach.

Robert_Paulson on June 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I have to chuckle though at the title of Rubio’s book. It HAS to be in response to the continual “natural born citizen” stuff. I don’t think Rubio’s getting much further than where he already is. He’s going to have these “naturals” in his own party around his neck just as Palin will always have the “I’m not voting for a woman” ones around hers.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

hmmm no wonder huckabees trashing Bristol Palin saying she’s fair game now

the huckster going to all means necessary to obtain favor from mitt. even a dig at Sarah

mitt/huck 2012 the richer for poorer ticket

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Trafalgar on June 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Rubio is in his first term as US Senator. We are hoping that Obama becomes a one-term President. See the difference?

I’d be happy with Bobby Jindal on the ticket. Even though Louisiana isn’t really in play, he’s a good choice.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Jindal.

stout77 on June 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

France decides to vote themselves more German Euros while they are still available and lower the retirement age.

Even with Greece as a demonstration of where this leads, France continues with being SOS – Stuck On Stupid. The countdown to capital fleeing France has begun…

The roll and burn of the EU has already started, its just a question of when the car goes airborne for the dramatic grand finale of stupidity and hubris.

ajacksonian on June 19, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Jindal or Martinez, though am pretty sure her I heard her adamantly saying that she is not interested in fhe vp this time around…Plus she is a first termer too…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Oups, sorry, the JIndal or Martinez comment stays, but I copied and pasted the wrong post :)…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

If it’s Jindal and Romney loses, then Jindal’s ruined forever. Well, the GOP will be as well, but still. I think Romney needs to pick a moderate like Pawlenty since moderate is all the rage and the pathway to victory.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

MidniteRambler on June 19, 2012 at 9:40 AM

That and handing out citizenship to a bunch of illegal Mexicans before going to the G20 summit in Mexico City this week and speaking to a Hispanic group at the end of the week I’m sure played into the timing. Clinton triangulated, Obama is separating the various interest groups from the herd for more focused pandering. This is clearly Hispanic week at the White House.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Please let it be Jindal!! Pick a conservative with some actual accomplishments. What has Rubio done other than pander to Hispanics?

A major key for Romney is shoring up the conservative vote and I think picking a conservative in Jindal would be a major step in the right direction.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Seems to me there are plenty of people warming up for the next several years who are young and have good credentials and are good communicators. Good credentials like executive and legislative experience. If Obama managed to pull off another term, the Democrats would be left with two very difficult things in 4 years.

1. A potentially ugly primary of their own.
2. A much stronger GOP field that might include people like Marco Rubio and Chris Christie.

seymour on June 19, 2012 at 9:51 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:50 AM

What do you care? Romney is the White Obama right?

What’s the difference?

Did you get your Obama yard sign yet?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Just not Pawlenty…

gumbyandpokey on June 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Pawlenty is saying he doesn’t want it. I hope he isn’t lying. He would be a boring choice.

gophergirl on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I still think it’s going to be Jindal.

Especially if ObamaCare goes down.

gophergirl on June 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

mitt/huck 2012 the richer for poorer ticket

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Has the Huckster driven the Limbaugh program off the air yet?

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

jindal a conservative? since when. oh, you mean now when he’s being vetted. oh, yeah. forgot. mitt needs a useful idiot to call a conservative. got it.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

What do you care? Romney is the White Obama right?

What’s the difference?

Did you get your Obama yard sign yet?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Is you conscience bothering you or something? I never said I was voting for Obama. Ohhhhhh…you mean that if I don’t have my mouth planted on Mitt’s ass then I’m an O-bot. Got it.

gophergirl on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

But I remember being told over and over that “boring is good” this time around.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Oh, now why isn’t Jindal a Conservative? Just curious. I know if you asked Rush Limbaugh who he thought was today’s closest thing to Reagan he’s said repeatedly he would put Jindal at #1.

Marcus on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

OF COURSE Rubio is not being vetted.
Only Natural Born Citizens should be considered.
That leaves Jindal out, too.

I like Susana Martinez, but, like Palin, she needs to be allowed to finish her first term as Governor.

Mitch Daniels would be good, but that would be too much Boring on one ticket.

I’d love to see a debate between Biden and Chris Christie, but he’s not really Conservative enough.

Portman is okay, but I’d like someone with executive experience.

Dexter_Alarius on June 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Is is unseemly of me to say I told you so?

BTW, Rubio has been saying he is not interested because he is not being vetted; he is not not being vetted because he is uninterested.

Until recently, the Republican establishment expected Romney to lose this election. That’s another reason why people like Rubio and Christie were being so coy – they didn’t want to be VP on a losing ticket, while keeping their options open. Now that it looks like Romney could take this, Christie, for example, is practically panting for the job.

Rubio is being groomed for 2016 and beyond. Given that he’s forming a political persona that is equal parts hawk and amnesty, I’d say McCain is a prominent mentor.

How ’bout we just listen to what Romney and his team have been saying about their VP pick: no “game-changers”, ready to be President on first day, boring.

Here’s my list:

1. not Bobby Jindal
2. not Chris Christie
3. not Nikki Haley
4. not Susana Martinez
5. not Rick Perry
6. not Paul Ryan
7. not Allen West
8. not Sarah Palin
9. not Rick Santorum
10. not Rand Paul

Mr. Arkadin on June 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Rubio needs a few years DOING THINGS and getting some experience and some MAJOR LEGISLATION behind him (the NON-Barack Kardashian Obama way)… too early, but vetting him NOW would help down the road, say in 8 years…

Khun Joe on June 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Jindal is a conservative and very impressive. It would be a waste though to pair him up with another doomed squish just as a bit of table scraps the GOPe wants to throw to conservatives.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Why not McCain? Give Biden a run for his money!

MeatHeadinCA on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Me too. The VP debate alone would be must-see TV on the better than even odds that slow Joe makes some 7-11 remark…er, again. More than that, though Jindal is a competent executive steeped in policy…he’d be a great choice.

I’m betting, though, that it’s someone a bit more blah, like a Portman or Pawlenty.

changer1701 on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

most political scientists say that where the VP is from doesn’t make it more likely the ticket will win that state. Jindal is the strongest choice

Donald Draper on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Jonathan Karl on ABC says the Romney people are pushing Pawlenty to the media in a manner that politicians do when they’ve made their choice. On what planet is Pawlenty better than Jindal?

AmeriCuda on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

ABH!

OldEnglish on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Mr. Arkadin on June 19, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Being goomed by whom? You mean the GOPe will be pimping Rubio in the likely event that Romney loses? I thought that was only believed by TrueCon tinfoil-hat types.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Ditto.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I still think it’s going to be Jindal.

Especially if ObamaCare goes down.

gophergirl on June 19, 2012 at 9:53 AM

I like the optimism. What’s your reasoning? : )

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

I doubt Rubio wants the thankless, powerless, dead end job anyway.

Who does?

In most cases there is only one place to go after holding that position. It is the last possible stepping stone on the way to a run for the Presidency.

farsighted on June 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

gsherin on June 19, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Ditto…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:57 AM

You’re too busy with your head buried up your own ass.

Face it: not voting for Romney helps Obama. Your non-vote is basically an Obama vote.

And by refusing to help defeat Obama you should give up your right to criticize him. What does it matter to you? It wasn’t worth it for you to lift a finger when it mattered most. So don’t ever criticize Obama again.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

changer1701 on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Wouldn’t matter. The media would still declare Biden the winner, as would iron-clad flash polling done during and right after the debate.

On what planet is Pawlenty better than Jindal?

AmeriCuda on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Moderateanus.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Doomed?

Romney/Rubio in a landslide, and then you can throw your little “obambi” yard sign away.

VegasRick on June 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I like Rick Perry. A lot. In fact, there are 3 things that I like about Perry:

1) His conservatism.
2) His sincerity.
3) Uh, I forgot what the third one was, but is for darn sure wasn’t uber-competence, a descriptive not often attached to the Guv.

rogaineguy on June 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I think Romney reads the news…

Asians have surpassed Hispanics as the largest group of new immigrants to the United States, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center.

The study, called “The Rise of Asian-Americans” and released on Tuesday, reveals that Asian-Americans also have the highest income, are the best-educated and are the fastest-growing racial group in America

Isn’t Jindal concerned Asian. BTW, I hate these idenitiy politics.

Oil Can on June 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

If Jindal hadn’t botched that Republican response a couple years ago, he would be the NO BRAINER pick. However, I’m sure he has and will become more polished since then and has the credentials and intellect to be a great VP pick. I’d be very happy with him.

cdog0613 on June 19, 2012 at 10:12 AM

If Mitt takes Phuckabee or Santorum for VP I’ll be voting for Obama, period. Screech as much as you please, but I swear I will. There’s a limit of how much moral anesthesia my liver can possibly take.

Rubio as VP will likely see my general-election vote go to a third party – in my list of values, sponsoring NOLA is an unforgivable black mark.

Christie, I can live with, though I’d certainly prefer him either to stay here in New Jersey or serve as Atty General in Romney’s government. He just doesn’t seem to be a fitting VP for a RINO-ish Nor’easterner.

Daniels or Pawlenty, what can I say? Meh. Both are acceptable but as exciting as a glass of stale beer.

Rob Portman, an okay choice. Nothing to cheer for, but it’s a solid and respectable choice. We’re picking a VP here, a singular most useless position in the American authority chain.

Bobby Jindal doesn’t seem to be willing to step up, but if it’s him Mitt will see my wallet open. What can I say, I’d love to turn New Jersey red and Jindal can do that.

Any other pick would be a stunning surprise, good or bad I don’t know.

Archivarix on June 19, 2012 at 10:25 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I don’t think TruCons are tinfoil-hat types; in fact, I’m on recored saying that TruCons have every right to be distrustful of the Republican establishment, and of Romney. The mistake TruCons make is thinking that Romney is the establishment candidate. He is not. Romney is an outsider; he has his own organization, his own money, and his own power base. The establishment is now lining up behind him because it looks like he may win, but he and they are not the same, and they will turn on him in a second given the opportunity, as the Democrat establishment turned on the Clintons in 2008 (Clinton is not really Dem establishment. Gore, Kennedy, Kerry, etc. are.)

Rubio is establishment, and he’s being groomed. Amnesty/open borders is the Republican establishment postion, and they want it. It is not Romney’s position, but he is being pushed. Obama is trying to deepen the split. Romney is handling this well right now, but it’s not over yet. Don’t trust Rubio. He knows what side his bread is buttered on.

I personally like tinfoil hat types. :-)

Mr. Arkadin on June 19, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Bobby Jindal is no Asian.

He really couldn’t care less about Asians.

He cares about all Americans.

Being 1/32nd Indian or it might be 1/16th, I am an expert on these matters of Anglo-Indians.

Typicalwhitewoman on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Why not McCain? Give Biden a run for his money!

MeatHeadinCA on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

An excellent suggestion if the intent was convincing the American public that we don’t need the office of VP.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM

It should be Bobby Jindal. He’s smart, Southern, a two-term governor, nerdy, and doesn’t provoke controversy. Picking Rubio will only focus the debate on inexperience, scandal, immigration, and his charisma over Romney’s meh.

Go with Jindal, Mitt.

Punchenko on June 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I like Rick Perry. A lot. In fact, there are 3 things that I like about Perry:

1) His conservatism.
2) His sincerity.

rogaineguy on June 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Rick Perry, the only possible VP pick who can make Joe “Plugs” Biden look like a neurosurgeon with a degree in rocket science. We have also had our share of Texas governors, thank you very much (yeah, I know he’s different, but who else does?).

Archivarix on June 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Their best bet would be to look at the ranks of governors

A few seldom discussed possibilities:

* Haley Barbour (former governor of MS)
* Terry Branstad (former/current governor of IA)
* Norm Coleman (former governor of MN)
* Jane Hull (former governor of AZ)
* Frank Keating (former governor of OK)
* Jim Martin (former governor of NC)
* Bill Owens (former governor of CO)
* George Pataki (former governor of NY)
* Tom Ridge (former governor of PA)
* Don Sundquist (former governor of TN)
* Tommy Thompson (former governor of WI)

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 10:42 AM

All of you racists rooting for Jindal are proving that you are racists. And reverse racists. Or something.

-brainfreeordead

stvnscott on June 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’m from Florida and I’m personally hoping Rubio is not the Vice-Presidential nominee because I want him to run for President in the future. Having said that, my understanding is that Rubio hired a firm to conduct opposition research on him because of what the Democrats tried to pull on him about his parents. I’m sure that, if Romney really wanted him, he could be vetted rather quickly.

I hope Romney picks Governor Martinez from New Mexico. I hear she’s really good and the Democrats would be apoplectic if Romney picked a woman, Hispanic Governor from a state that’s in the Dem column. I wonder if they’d treat her any different than Sarah Palin?

bflat879 on June 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

It will be Paul Ryan. He need Wis and Ryan can deliver. Romney will win Florida, Ohio and Michigan.
Romney/Ryan 2012

Sparty on June 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

steebo77

Yeah, pick Thompson who is running for Senate. Give up on a senate seat much?

Donald Draper on June 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I belive the article is bogus. It just so happens on the Sean Hanity radio show the other day Hanity had Rubio as a guest. Rubio was asked if he’s being vetted and he refused to answer. It really wouldn’t shock me that this is the “source” and ABC decided him not answering the question means he’s not being vetted

LordDaMan on June 19, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Rom will need a VP that can deal with a democrap house and or senate [f we do not hold a majority]. Rubio has been there for two years. Paul Ryan has more experience, but then the wimps will say oh, his budget will be demagogued. But he won in WI in a small district; not state wide.

democratsarefools on June 19, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Insider sources indicate that not only has Jindal visited Boston, he’s filled out the questionnaires and disclosed his financial records, which he refused to do for John McCain.

Romney/Jindal 2012!

GOPRanknFile on June 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

steebo77

Yeah, pick Thompson who is running for Senate. Give up on a senate seat much?

Donald Draper on June 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Well, some on that list are little discussed for a reason.

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Back at MSNBC…

Joe Scarborough: C’mon! It’s going to be Jeb Bush. Everyone loves Jeb Bush. Bobby Jindal is a poser, a loser, and something else that I’m forgetting. Jeb Bush, man — Jeb Bush all the way!

Steve Schmidt: Derpy derp derp. Derpitty derp derp. Derp derp derp, Jeb Bush!

Joe Scarborough: That’s exactly what I told my wife, Steve! I said, “Man, if Jeb Bush were a woman — or, if he paid me to, you know — I would be all over that.” And my wife just looked at me, looked at the pool boy outside, told me she would be back later tonight, and that was that. Jeb Bush, man. Jeb Bush.

Mika Brzezinski: I eat apples, run, and hate fat kids.

Joe Scarborough: Yes you do, Mika! Ha! Ha! Ha! Yes you do! Now go back to your coffee and here are some more crayons.

Mika Brzezinski: Fat kids are not good. Fat kids are definitely not good, Joe. Definitely not good.

Punchenko on June 19, 2012 at 11:06 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Please don’t lump “naturals”, as in Constitutionalists, in the same category as sexists & misogynists. Worlds apart. (BTW: Rubio was 4 years old when his parents became US citizens = not NATURAL born.)

NightmareOnKStreet on June 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Good. He’s not only Constitutionally ineligible, but he sponsors unconstitutional legislation and wants to use our military for regime change in countries that haven’t attacked or declared war on us.

Dante on June 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Romney/Jindal 2012!

GOPRanknFile on June 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I would definitely rock out some Romney/Jindal hats and shirts!!

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I’m not sure I’m buying this story. I find it hard to believe the Romney team isn’t vetting Rubio. If he’s not the best selection Romney could make, he’s certainly in the top 3.

BTW – the birther whackos sound like they’re griping about Rubio’s mother having a C-section when they talk about him not being a natural born citizen. He was born in this country, so that makes him a “natural born citizen” who is eligble to be President – but nuts gotta roll, so that’s not good enough. They gotta keep up the “Obama is ineligble” meme despite the fact that no court including the SCOTUS would ever remove a President from office who was duly elected short of impeachment and conviction.

DRayRaven on June 19, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I gave Rubio every chance to prove that he deserved my trust and possibly, my vote at some point.

However, after his most recent statement, that he ‘would come to this nation illegally’ if he ‘had to’ paired with the statement that we needed to treat illegal aliens with ‘common decency’ has convinced me that he lacks any regard for the rule of law and is willing to pander shamelessly to attempt to further his own career, even at the expense of the nation.

The problem with illegal immigration is not that we have not shown illegal aliens ‘common decency’ its that we have been UNCOMMONLY DECENT. We ordered, by law, that illegal aliens are entitled to a public education, at no charge, and that they receive emergency medical care, for which we receive no reimbursement in the VAST majority of cases. We also provide free pretnatal and maternity care for them. We extend the right to a hearing to them when they are arrested before deportation,and we handle them with respect for their human rights when we apprehend and, when processed, through deportation. Since the vast majority of the illegal aliens currently at large int his nation are from Mexico, compare our treatment of illegal aliens in this nation to how illegal aliens are treated in MEXICO. The fact that we have been uncommonly decent readily becomes apparent.

Mexico has changed over the years. It has about a 5% unemployment rate. It has a poverty rate of about 18% that is falling. Mexico has a thriving middle class. The US has a sustained unemployment rate of 8 plus% for the last consecutive 41 months. Our poverty rate is about 15% an rising. The US has 23 million people(citizens and legal immigrants) either unemployed or acutely underemployed. Mexico is ranked 12 in terms of economy in the world.

IF Mexico has a wage disparity, and a deep seated problem with racism, in that the southern states where the population is predominantly INDIAN have the deepest poverty and the lowest wages, that is not the fault of the United States. Mexico has profited mightily by exporting its problems to the US. We cannot continue to be the dumping ground for Mexico’s poor, uneducated, or criminals.

For Marco Rubio to suggest that the people of the United States have shown illegal aliens, who have willfully shattered our federal immigration laws, thus demonstrating a complete disregard for the rule of law and a clear disdain for the rights of the citizens and legal immigrants of this nation, is an egregious slur upon the largess and generosity that the American people have already shown the MILLIONS of illegal aliens who have taken advantage of our nation. It is also all the indication of a general lack of character and willingness to pander to a large constituency in his home state in order to further his career at the expense of the rest of the nation that I need to inform my own opinion of him.

thatsafactjack on June 19, 2012 at 11:29 AM

It must be Ryan. We will not win by running out the clock. Name him early so you can withstand the demagoguery, offer the alternative vision, win the landslide like Wisconsin. Obama won by offering change for a reason. They country wants things to change. They just dont want Obama’s version

cpaulus on June 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

OF COURSE Rubio is not being vetted.
Only Natural Born Citizens should be considered.
That leaves Jindal out, too.

I wonder how many times this will get posted in the next months. Natural born citizenship has nothing to do with your parents and is not defined by the constitution. Its defined by Congress. We’ve had numerous presidents with immigrant parents.

cpaulus on June 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

An American Son

I have a serious problem with this title and his consideration for VP and/or President as Rubio’s parent’s came to America in 1956 and did not become citizens until 1975 (4 years after he was born). Essentially illegal immigrants – aren’t political asylum cases processed faster than 19 years? Jindal’s bio doesn’t mention if/when his parents became citizens.

This is not the beginning of America – when no ‘candidates’ had parents born in the US – but 235 years later – when the ‘immigrant’ status of parents MUST be an issue. And yes, it is important – much like the Obama status – there is a Constitutional issue that the President MUST be a Natural Born Citizen – not just someone who was lucky enough to have a mother squat in the US and have a kid.

And believe me, as much as the Dems make a nonsense screed ‘birthers’ in reference to Obama’s questionable status – they will scream NBC should Rubio or Jindal be the VP pick. And don’t doubt me, the Dems are nothing but hypocritical to the max.

I don’t think Obama was born anywhere but HA, I just know that his claimed father was a British citizen and never attempted to be an American citizen and the British Nationality Law stated that a child of a British citizen is born a British citizen no matter where in the world they are born. So at best Obama was born a duel citizen – where is the paperwork to show his choosing an American citizenship, he would have been legally forced to drop that British citizenship for two reasons, one – the BNL and two – muslims always go by the father for everything. [And no I am not saying President Obama was/is a muslim, just his father was - no matter how many times our President tries to deny it]

There is a purpose to these skating the line ‘immigrants’ being pushed forward to seats of power – it is to destroy America’s sovereignty and move forward the OneGlobalWorld rule. I, for one, like that in America, anyone can achieve almost anything – but to use the Office of the President to destroy the Constitution and America, shouldn’t be on the conservative’s list at all. Ever.

jackal40 on June 19, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Of course, this could all be a decoy to get Dems to lay off Rubio for a while, leading up to his announcement as the VP candidate…

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

NightmareOnKStreet on June 19, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Fourteenth Amendment. You’re not at liberty yourself to define “natural born” as having citizens as parents. That’s not “constitutionalism”, that’s crankery.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Maybe they are trying to get the press to go after him harder, get all the dumpster diving over with first.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Fourteenth Amendment doesn’t say anything about natural born status. Don’t call people names just because you are ignorant.

Dante on June 19, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Although I like Rubio if he wasn’t hispanic he would not even be considered.

It’s going to be Pawlenty

gerrym51 on June 19, 2012 at 11:54 AM

I have been pretty convinced that it would be McDonnell from Va. Safe and boring. It would help Romney in Virginia, and George Allen in Senate. That being said, Jindal would be awesome all around. Even better if Romney pledged one term to make the hard and necessary decisions to change our country’s direction and let Jindal take over for 2016.

monalisa on June 19, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Nothing wrong and I have zero problems with non-American fathers’ dreams; unless their sons want to be POTUS.

aposematic on June 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Palin is the biggest reason why Rubio is not being considered. They want a choice that looks like a “Hail Mary”.

Personally, I think it’s a mistake to pass over Rubio, but his “Dream Act” antics lately have soured me enough that I’m not too upset about it.

BradTank on June 19, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Tpaw will be the choice. Best pick IMO.

rubberneck on June 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Palin?

OK, just kidding a little :)

Unless it’s someone no one’s previously brought up, my guess (and preference) is Daniels, Portman, Jindal or Ryan in no particular order.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Rubio – with all his promise – is too young and too inexperience to be that close to sitting in the oval office.

jake-the-goose on June 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Riiiiiight!!!

Any time I need the real story on what Republicans think, or what Republicans should do…I immediately turn to the foremost authority: the MSM!!!

/SARC!!>

…..NOT!!!….

landlines on June 19, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I’m glad he did the interview with Ed, may not sell as many books as an appearance on the Today Show but the long term thanks is immeasurable.

Well if TeamMitt decided not to vet Rubio shame on them, If it comes out Rubio said I am not interested in being VP I would love it.

boogaleesnots on June 19, 2012 at 12:16 PM