Video: There sure were a lot of plot holes in “Prometheus,” huh?

posted at 10:01 pm on June 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, nerd candy from one of the Internet’s legendary nerds — Mike Stoklasa, a.k.a. “Harry Plinkett,” a.k.a. Red Letter Media, a.k.a. the guy behind those brilliant two-hour takedowns of the “Star Wars” prequels. He’s famous for video critiques of bad sci fi that end up being more entertaining than the movies themselves. I haven’t seen “Prometheus” yet but, based on the reviews, I’m guessing this fits that description.

If you’re hoping to avoid either profanity or spoilers (lots and lots of spoilers), go no further. Exit question: Was “Prometheus” really so bad? 74 percent on Rotten Tomatoes would be respectable for most films, but that’s awfully disappointing for an “Alien” prequel from Ridley Scott.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Nothing to write home about, but decent as far as gruesome kill-’em-all “horror” movies go.

Granted, though, the surgery scene still makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

KingGold on June 18, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Love these guys. Smart, funny, bastards.

squint on June 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This was brilliant. And NSFW.

I’m going to pass on seeing it on the big screen. I love sci fi, but I hate hollywood enough to pass on most films.

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Why do I care?
Oh wait, I don’t.

Bubba Redneck on June 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

“… the guy behind those brilliant two-hour takedowns of the “Star Wars” prequels.”

Those are great and this is funny…

… Thanks Allah!

Seven Percent Solution on June 18, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I don’t get it. Does that mean I’m not a nerd?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:11 PM

What was that prologue all about?

(SPOILER ALERT: If the super race already knew that their biological weapon had gotten out of hand (and, we later learn hologramatically (new word!) that they actively flee the stuff), why would one of them deliberately ingest a mug of it, tumble over the falls, and break apart in the river?)

de rigueur on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Allah, are you the one with the Abe beard?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Alas, yes, there were.

princetrumpet on June 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Exit question: Was “Prometheus” really so bad?

It’s one of the movies I leave the theater liking(not loving though), but it gets worse the more I think about it. It’s not a bad movie, but it felt incomplete. And not just because of what was probably left on the cutting room floor(this IS a Ridley Scott film after all). It asks a bunch of a questions and doesn’t really answer too many. Kinda like one of those superhero origin movies you go to where it sets up a trilogy. Only problem here is there was never any guarantee of more Prometheus movies, so it was ludicrous for Fox to allow the project to go forward with a script like this. This should’ve been a self-contained story with a setup and a resolution. Then again, one of the writers was also behind Lost which is the epitome of asking a bunch of questions and never answering them, so maybe I should’ve expected what I got.

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Red Letter Media is better than 99.9% of what Hollywood produces.

Whats a Seawolf on June 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Get to the damned QOTD!

Lanceman on June 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

The movie is okay. But its clunky.

Its clunky because most of the characters don’t do very much. In fact they do so little, that the android practically steals the movie.

He’s the only one who figures things out, he cracks all the secrets, and he seems to be the only one sits back in awe and wonder of the aliens.

Meanwhile, the other characters seem to be marking time until they get killed. And why Charlize Theron is even in this film is beyond me. She gets the least screen time and does nothing to move the plot forward.

And from what I saw and reflected upon, it looked like humanity was a mistake.

Capt_Nemo on June 18, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Ever since I saw the promo and recognized the wheeled exploration vehicles I decided to hate the movie. Since they got theirs on screen first, they will get the credit and people will think I ripped them off.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Okay, I watched it a second time.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Alien had a good story and somewhat good effects (by today’s standards).

Prometheus had a crappy story and good FX.

Alien was a LOT better.

Prometheus was a typical current hollywood movie. Disappointing.

jaime on June 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m waiting for the inevitable Director’s Cut to answer a lot of my qualms with the theatrical version of Prometheus. After all, Kingdom Of Heaven famously went from a big “WTF??” flop-buster of a Crusades movie to one of Ridley Scott’s three greatest achievements (the other two being Alien and Blade Runner) once all the missing footage was restored for the DVD edition. (Seriously – check it out, it’s really rather amazing.)

But yeah, the theatrical Prometheus is a bit…disappointing, especially given that Alien is my single favorite movie of all time, full stop.

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:19 PM

cozmo, what did I just watch? Do you understand it?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I’m waiting for the inevitable Director’s Cut to answer a lot of qualms with the theatrical version of Prometheus. After all, Kingdom Of Heaven famously went from a big “WTF??” flop-buster of a Crusades movie to one of Ridley Scott’s three greatest achievements (the other two being Alien and Blade Runner) once all the missing footage was restored for the DVD edition. (Seriously – check it out, it’s really rather amazing.)

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Oh and btw Mike Stoklasa (aka Plinkett aka the RedLetterMedia guy) and his buddies are very cool and fun to BS about movies with in real life. Which you would expect, I guess, but just thought I’d get all up in that shizz with the confirmation and such.

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I will have to bookmark this and come back after the movie has appeared on cable.

Or maybe not.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 10:25 PM

My guess is the inevitable sequel will address a few of these vital concerns.

princetrumpet on June 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

cozmo, what did I just watch?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I don’t know, I’m not a mind reader. What did you just watch? And why did you watch it twice?

Do you understand it?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Yes, only because I have been following the development.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Loved it. Worth seeing in IMAX 3D.

Kataklysmic on June 18, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Love these guys. Smart, funny, bastards.

squint on June 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

…I’ll let squint say it for me!

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hollywood will always let you down.

I currently watch Korean, Japanese, Filipino and Australian films for the best entertainment.

the new aesthetic on June 18, 2012 at 10:30 PM

My guess is the inevitable sequel will address a few of these vital concerns.

princetrumpet on June 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

That’s the problem. We may never get a sequel. It had a huge dropoff in its second weekend at the box office thanks to lousy word-of-mouth. In fact, this summer is shaping up to be a disaster thus far for anything not titled The Avengers or starring a bunch of CGI animals.

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Great Korean horror flick: The Host.
Great Korean thriller/action/drama: The Chaser

the new aesthetic on June 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones is the worst thing ever made by a human.

Good Lt on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Downloaded it, haven’t watched it yet.

The premise just sounds so stupid. This is how idiots always answer the question of the origin of life- “It came from another planet!”. Okay, well how did life originate on another planet? “A different planet!”

So now we have another “science fiction” movie based on a half-baked implausible theory contrived to avoid actual science, or even science fiction. And Space Jesus, for an added insult.

bernverdnardo1 on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Alien was a sublime human accomplishment. It is hard to believe something that good was created by men. It took me about 5 years and 10+ attempts to watch the whole movie all the way through. The suspense and buildup were so intense that I had to shut it off.

A sci fi movie that really surprised me was Moon by David Bowie’s son.

Trailer here.

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

And actually, if you watch the Half in the Bag episode where they discuss it, they seem to not HATE it, giving it props for the setting and ambiance of the film came off. They just were like, meh.

And yes, I guess that would be a bit of a letdown considering what it was.

Good Lt on June 18, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I think Charlize was originally going to play the part that went to Noomi Rapace, but she had to drop out because she was supposedto start the new Mad Max movie (which keeps getting its production date pushed back)…

ellifint on June 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Yes, only because I have been following the development.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Development of what? It’s just two guys sitting around drinking I presume,, one is quite stoned, the other is also. Oh never mind I finally see, they are movie critic nerds. Or is it nerd movie critics? Huh? Interesting?

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I liked it, after watching it I watched Alien, and the Alien at the end of Prometheus is the Alien from Aliens.

and 3/4 the stuff they said in the Video I could explain.

boogaleesnots on June 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Was “Prometheus” really so bad?

It was good; but there were a lot of things that didn’t make sense. They covered a lot of them.

Odd that both Prometheus and Fallen Skies both had shiney worm aliens in the eyeballs. Is this a new scifi trend?

lorien1973 on June 18, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Hello ellifint, good to see you. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I think it may be worth seeing in theaters for one reason:
The IMAX 3D version (on a flat screen IMAX, not the big dome) was really good. The best 3D movie I’ve seen yet. It was very immersive and felt like you were there, witnessing what was going on.

I liked the movie quite a bit, but my two friends I was with just thought it was decent.

strictnein on June 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Short answer to most of those questions: Because if they knew all that, there`d be no movie.

ThePrez on June 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Good Lt on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

No. Bill Maher is the worst thing ever made by a human.

NickDeringer on June 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

It was good. In other words, worse than the incredible Alien series, but still very much worth the time. Definite sequel hook at the end, setting up a plot that seems like it could answer many of the plot holes in Prometheus.

Alternatively, there’s this guy’s idea (SPOILERS) that, if true, ties up a lot of the plot holes in a very interesting/disturbing way.

Also, if you haven’t taken a look at Weyland Industries’ website, it’s got some interesting stuff to help flesh out the movie and the franchise.

Mr. Prodigy on June 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I thought the flick was only okay, but the trucks were really cool.

Great special effects for the budget though.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Hello ellifint, good to see you. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM

~~~~

Hi Bmore,, it’s great to see you, too!!

ellifint on June 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Hollywood continues to affirm my decision to stick to anime. So glad I switched.

nobar on June 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Great Korean horror flick: The Host.
the new aesthetic on June 18, 2012 at 10:31 PM

^Yes.

Mr. Prodigy on June 18, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Sounds like an all show and no go movie.

VorDaj on June 18, 2012 at 10:40 PM

30 minutes of acting like it was going to be a profound movie, then just monsters and explosions.

VorDaj on June 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Not going to go back through the 200 comments on this in the headlines.

A sci fi movie that really surprised me was Moon by David Bowie’s son.

Trailer here.

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Loved Moon! That was a poignant and profound sci fi flick that didn’t rely on effects. Of course, the liberal themes of the evil corporations and the quip at the very end making callers to (read conservative) talk shows sound stupid were annoying, but on the whole the movie was great.

Firefly_76 on June 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I would give the movie a 6 or 7 out of 10. It could have been a great movie if only they hadn’t made it an Alien movie. The seeds were there for a good story but developing that story took backseat to going down a checklist of things to make it like Alien.

Ripley-esque character? Check.
Creepy synthetic crew member? Check.
Hudson-esque character? Check.
Alien ship design by Giger? Check.
Egg chamber? Check.
Face hugger-esque creature? Check.
Chest burster-esque scene? Check.

And so on. Instead of trying to make the movie the same as Alien/Aliens they should have let it be it’s own thing.

Rip Ford on June 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Gee, all I wanted to know is where the original ship and its Alien cargo come from. It sounds like it tells me more than I really wanted to know, and that the Universe really is as FUBAR as we fear.

flataffect on June 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

I guess there are no plot holes after all.

Because this explains EVERYTHING.

logis on June 18, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Went to Prometheus with my oldest son and had to leave when I experienced chest pains right when they were beginning to explore the tunnels..

..omen or the result of my consuming a root beer float and a Philly’s Cheese Steak size at Johnny Rocket’s beforehand?

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Ehh… some of these plot holes aren’t holes and they clearly weren’t paying enough attention to the movie.

Part of it was just that they didn’t develop David enough. I actually think they should have spent another 10 or 15 minutes in the movie on him.

strictnein on June 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

This, pretty much. With the exception of one tiny little cheap scare it is literally perfect in every possible way. (That one exception: Jones the Cat leaping out to surprise Ripley near the end — fake suspense! But even then it’s a sly diversion from where the real action is because that scene totally plays with standard horror movie tropes to get you to expect Ripley, alone in the cockpit, to be the next victim instead of Parker & Lambert who A.) are together; B.) actually have a weapon in Parker’s flamethrower.)

Seriously, though: acting, script, directing, cinematography, editing, score, art direction (holy crap! The alien itself!), special effects, lighting, conceptual vision…you name it, Alien executed it perfectly. The cast alone is legendary in that every single member of it is/was/went-on-to-be a massively critically respected actor: Sigourney Weaver, John Hurt, Tom Skerritt, Ian Holm, Veronica Cartwright, Yaphet Kotto, Harry Dean Stanton…you cannot improve on that ensemble of actors in any conceivable way.

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

No. Bill Maher is the worst thing ever made by a human.

NickDeringer on June 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Touche.

Good Lt on June 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

That is exactly how we felt. The more we questioned the plot holes.. I also felt that they were the dumbest expensive expedition evah… I mean who parks right by alien life without scouting the area first, probing, doing surveys and reconnaissance?? Who announces their prescense right away and then goes in without and security but a geologist and without weaponry all on the world of cave drawings? Really you gonna put up that much money and risk your life on a hunch?

melle1228 on June 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I saw it. I felt royally ticked I sprung for 3D.

itsspideyman on June 18, 2012 at 10:45 PM

…that end up being more entertaining than the movies themselves.

That’s for sure! I’ve watched his pans of Star Wars two or three times over the past few years since they came out, which is more than I’ve watched the movies themselves.

FloatingRock on June 18, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Veronica Cartwright, Yaphet Kotto and Harry Dean Stanton were already pretty big.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I was talking to my brother about Alien(s)/Prometheus…we have many of the same tastes in books and movies. He is a Nuclear Engineer turned financial analyst in energy production. His first comment about Alien(s) was about character development. When you want people to believe and care about characters in a world foreign to you, you must spend the time to develop them. It is much easier to do in fiction than in film.

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Oh my God, what’s wrong with your faaaace?

Valkyriepundit on June 18, 2012 at 10:49 PM

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:48 PM

It ain’t that easy, and it is very important.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Loved Moon!

…at the very end making callers to (read conservative) talk shows sound stupid were annoying, but on the whole the movie was great.

Firefly_76 on June 18, 2012 at 10:41 PM

..it’s what they do because the don’t understand it. Maybe Hollywood will make a film about some real hipsters traveling to a distant planet where there are nothing by a bunch of Rush Limbaughs and Sean Hannitys (“..dirty air and water; I bussed tables and worked in construction as a kid..”) who were influenced by the radio waves that skipped through our ionosphere and hit their planet.

The whole civilization could be led by some huge, evil, ambivalent creature who pits the planet’s conflicting forces against one another on his show.

You know, like Bill O’Reilly.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

ellifint on June 18, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Heading over to QOTD, you should drop by sometime if you have the chance. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

It ain’t that easy, and it is very important.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

LMFAO!

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM

It ain’t that easy, and it is very important.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM

LMFAO!

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Wrong quote!

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

LMFAO!

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Right. As was Tom Skerritt, who had already turned in major roles in M*A*S*H and Turning Point. Ian Holm was a big name in the UK theatre scene, but hadn’t been in many (any?) films before Alien. And John Hurt would go on to get the Best Actor nomination for David Lynch’s The Elephant Man a year later.

In fact (as is part of movie legend by now) the only person in the cast without any movie experience was Sigourney Weaver. She’d done a wordless cameo in

Annie Hall

but this was her first actual role. Worked out pretty well.

Talk about a truly definitive cast.

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Wrong quote!

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 10:56 PM

I was wonderin’.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 10:53 PM

..that time already?

I’ll treat you to a root beer float and a Philly’s Cheese Steak Size at Johnny Rocket’s.

What say? You bring the Tums.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Every time I see Yaphet Kotto in a role, all I can think of is Idi Amin. He made a better African dictator than a real African dictator.

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

He was awesome in Live and Let Die, one of my favorite Bond movies.

tom daschle concerned on June 18, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Esoteric on June 18, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Hurt had been around for a couple of decades when he did Alien. He was Caligula in I, Clavdius (I know, I know), played Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant and a ton of TV movies and voice roles. And, of course, was in The Midnight Express.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

What say? You bring the Tums.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Sounds good, see if you can talk ellifint into coming over. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

MICHAEL FASSBENDER!!!!!!!

That is all.

mjk on June 18, 2012 at 11:10 PM

My take on Prometheus: great from a distance, but the closer you get the worse it is.

I went in really wanting to like this film, but like many, many, many other people I couldn’t get past all the stupid things the main characters do, or don’t do. I won’t rehash all those things, or the places where the plot just made no sense.

That said, I’m still hoping the sequel, supposedly called Paradise, will build on the mythos introduced in Prometheus. The horrible script need not carry over to the sequel, and the big picture of Prometheus can be salvaged, plot holes or no.

And for the love of Ripley, DUMP DAMON LINDELOF! I never watched Lost, but by all accounts of those who did I should not expect Lindelof to improve, should he do the screenplay for Paradise.

MidniteRambler on June 18, 2012 at 11:19 PM

cozmo on June 18, 2012 at 11:00 PM

For me, Yaphet Kotto will always be Alonzo Mosley, Federal Bureau of Investigations.

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

For me, Yaphet Kotto will always be Lt. Al Giardello.

Rip Ford on June 18, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Sounded just like me an hour after watching the movie.

I enjoyed Prometheus but the absurd plotline conflicts are irritatingly frequent and obvious. I expected a more polished narrative from him. Let’s see what he does with the Forever War.

lexhamfox on June 18, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Geez, this movie sucked.

xblade on June 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Pretty much my reaction too. Or as another review put it: “30 years to write an Alien prequel and this is what we get?”

But then, is it even possible to make something with the sharpness of Alien anymore – big-budget, smart, sci-fi horror where you CARE about the characters? Prometheus isn’t just poorly written, it’s symptomatic. It’s typical of the pre-fab “tent-pole” nonsense that eschews thoughtful storytelling for high-budget mayhem and awe-inspiring effects. Sure, mayhem and FX appeal to me too, but when you throw them into a story vacuum so full of holes, one-sided characters and non-sensical motivations, you get the kind hot mess Prometheus turned into. It’s an empty calorie value meal. But then the studios are like “who gives a shit, it made a fabillion dollars. Next!”

You can go back to Alien (and Aliens) and Bladerunner time and again because you know they were doing something important cinematically. Hello, people do film studies on them. And they still appealed to mass audiences.

Anymore I get tired of constantly being told “you know what, we figure you’re going to shell out 12 bucks for this crap either way, so it’s okay that we just phoned in the screenplay, yeah?”

somewhatconcerned on June 18, 2012 at 11:49 PM

If anybody remembers how much the Directors cut of Bladerunner cleared up any questions and filled in any holes… oh wait that did not happen.

mediamime on June 18, 2012 at 11:54 PM

C’mon. Alien was a solid horror film, but let’s not pretend that it didn’t have its share of gaping plot holes and laughably bad science.

Mike Honcho on June 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Mike Honcho on June 19, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Alien didn’t muck around in science.

tom daschle concerned on June 19, 2012 at 12:22 AM

This movie really needed to be 3 hours long to flesh out the characters, however I was thoroughly entertained. People need to stop trying to be “moved” by every movie that comes along. Just sit back for a couple of hours and enjoy the entertainment.

Garym on June 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Did anyone notice that “Prometheus” is just a remake of “Mission to Mars”

Crusty on June 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM

For me, Yaphet Kotto will always be Lt. Al Giardello.

We have a winner!

Everyone slobbers over The Wire (and justifiably so). Everyone forgets its direct precursor, Homicide: Life On The Streets. The last two seasons really fell apart, but the first five are as good as anything that ever aired on NETWORK television, an achievement that’s all the more amazing given the era Homicide came in. It’s the Velvet Underground of dramatic TV series: very few people actually saw it during its time, but most of those who did went on write shows of their own, directly influenced by it.

Esoteric on June 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM

de rigueur on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I read that paragraph three times in a row, even taking it real slow the third time, and I still have no idea what that says. So if I ever see this movie, it will still be spoiler free. :)

TigerPaw on June 19, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Garym on June 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I agree.

I’d also apply that train of thought to TV shows. People pick apart The Walking Dead way too much, looking for absolute realism in every scene.

TigerPaw on June 19, 2012 at 1:07 AM

de rigueur on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

As I saw it, the prologue predated the development of the bioweapon by a considerable amount of time. Whatever the stuff was that he drank, it didn’t effect him the way the black goo did Charlie. That stuff basically disintegrated him and I felt like it was pure happenstance that some of his DNA survived to become the basis for the human race. And my impression was that he wasn’t expecting it to have that effect on him. Surely if the Engineers meant to create humanity there would have been a way to do it besides having someone commit a particularly painful form of suicide.

Rip Ford on June 19, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 11:22 PM

“Are all you guys named Mosley?” Loved that movie!

HawaiiLwyr on June 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

The analytical prowess of RLM has a habit of taking what seems to be a good movie and destroy it! LOL!

Yakko77 on June 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Good Lt on June 18, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Impossible. George Lucas gave up his humanity years ago when he started tinkering with the original trilogy.

Kevin71 on June 19, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Not very funny. Must need to be a stoner to giggle at that.

rayra on June 19, 2012 at 3:58 AM

Geez, this movie sucked.

xblade on June 18, 2012 at 11:48 PM

I bought the tickets, paid for the popcorn and diet Coke (snuck in some Twizlers) and sat back wanting to be entertained. I was…a little but not nearly enough. Maybe my expectations were too high. Here’s hoping the next sci-fi “blockbuster” actually busts a few blocks. This one didn’t.

SKYFOX on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The movie had brilliant special effects. The story was stupid. It was a waste of money.

SPOILER… Don’t read my comment!

OK….. So like this captain and crew…. they’re lifting off and and that woman comes running out and says “Stop that ship!” Captain says.. “No.. we’re going home!” She says… “No there won’t be a home if that ship takes off” Captain and crew says “OK.. lets commit suicide and ram the ship guys.” Crew responds “Sure. why not.” And then they do it.

That as the most unrealistic exchange I had ever witnessed in a movie. All 3 just go from “we’re leaving” to “we’ll commit suicide” based on this one woman’s hysterical rant. If he wanted to kill the crew, there was a million other ways to do it.

JellyToast on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM

SPOILER… Don’t read my comment!

JellyToast on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Agree with the brilliant special effects. Saw the movie yesterday with my daughter who is 14. She picked the movie apart as we watched it. This is the best Ridley could come up with?? Who brings security personnel a gazillion miles into space and then doesn’t use them for security. It was that stinkin bad!!!

dddave on June 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I almost forgot. Folding chairs on the hanger deck for the mission brief in a Trillion dollar spaceship…..you can’t make this stuff up……LOL!!!

dddave on June 19, 2012 at 7:18 AM

There’s a theory about the plot that is based in part off of Ridley’s comments in an interview. It has to do with why the engineers decided to kill us two thousand years ago. It’s easy enough to find discussion about it online. This theory doesn’t answer all the questions but it does generate interesting discussion.

aikidoka on June 19, 2012 at 8:10 AM

At least the camera operators could hold the cameras still.

TimBuk3 on June 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM

There are no good movies anymore. Hollywood is a waste land of reformated ideas, clueless liberals that think every movie is a chance to hate on AMerican culture and ideals and tell us how backwards we all. All movies are PC now a days with the cast picked to fill certain PC roles.

unseen on June 19, 2012 at 8:29 AM