Video: There sure were a lot of plot holes in “Prometheus,” huh?

posted at 10:01 pm on June 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, nerd candy from one of the Internet’s legendary nerds — Mike Stoklasa, a.k.a. “Harry Plinkett,” a.k.a. Red Letter Media, a.k.a. the guy behind those brilliant two-hour takedowns of the “Star Wars” prequels. He’s famous for video critiques of bad sci fi that end up being more entertaining than the movies themselves. I haven’t seen “Prometheus” yet but, based on the reviews, I’m guessing this fits that description.

If you’re hoping to avoid either profanity or spoilers (lots and lots of spoilers), go no further. Exit question: Was “Prometheus” really so bad? 74 percent on Rotten Tomatoes would be respectable for most films, but that’s awfully disappointing for an “Alien” prequel from Ridley Scott.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hurt had been around for a couple of decades when he did Alien. He was Caligula in I, Clavdius (I know, I know), played Quentin Crisp in The Naked Civil Servant and a ton of TV movies and voice roles. And, of course, was in The Midnight Express.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 11:08 PM

He also played Richard Rich in “Man for All Seasons” next to Paul Scofield. Yep, Hurt has some definite acting chops.

And don’t forget his cameo in “Spaceballs!”

itsspideyman on June 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Why was it that nobody really knew each other until the briefing on the planet…?
Don’t astronauts usually train together for months.

NeoKong on June 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM

And don’t forget his cameo in “Spaceballs!”

itsspideyman on June 19, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Bring the funny!

Garym on June 19, 2012 at 9:26 AM

So, has Ridley Scott lost his mojo?

I’m heartbroken.

flataffect on June 19, 2012 at 9:46 AM

There’s a theory about the plot that is based in part off of Ridley’s comments in an interview. It has to do with why the engineers decided to kill us two thousand years ago. It’s easy enough to find discussion about it online. This theory doesn’t answer all the questions but it does generate interesting discussion.

aikidoka on June 19, 2012 at 8:10 AM

No need to be coy about it. It’s not like it’s a spoiler or anything. At one point the idea was that Jesus Christ was an Engineer and they wanted to destroy humanity because we crucified him. Scott says he finally threw that idea out because he thought it was too “on the nose.” I think he threw it out because he didn’t want his movie to crash and burn after insulting every Christian in the world.

Rip Ford on June 19, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Exit question: Was “Prometheus” really so bad?

No it wasn’t. It did have a few holes in it, and I wish they had more depth to the character. I found it enjoyable, but it wasn’t one of those movies you get ‘lost’ in. Part of the issue I think is that it’s a ‘set up’ movie for a sequel or two. If those get made, they’ll probably be a lot better.

A Director’s Cut release of this would definitely be worth a viewing.

J.H. on June 19, 2012 at 9:56 AM

What was that prologue all about?

(SPOILER ALERT: If the super race already knew that their biological weapon had gotten out of hand (and, we later learn hologramatically (new word!) that they actively flee the stuff), why would one of them deliberately ingest a mug of it, tumble over the falls, and break apart in the river?)

de rigueur on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

He knew he was infected so he offed himself

preallocated on June 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

What say? You bring the Tums.

The War Planner on June 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Sounds good, see if you can talk ellifint into coming over. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 11:09 PM

————–

Bmore, I’m THERE tonight!!

ellifint on June 19, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Michael Fassbender and the cinematics/cinematography are the best parts of this film.

The plot’s got more holes in it that President Obama’s economic policies. Some of the movie really doesn’t make any sense to the point it is actually laughable. You cannot believe the characters are doing some of the stuff they are doing.

Not worth the money to see it in theaters.

Wait for the DVD/PPV release.

Very disappointing.

catmman on June 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

What was that prologue all about?

de rigueur on June 18, 2012 at 10:12 PM

The Engineer sacrificed himself so that his DNA would form the basis on file on a new world.

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Not worth the money to see it in theaters.

Wait for the DVD/PPV release.

Very disappointing.

catmman on June 19, 2012 at 11:09 AM

You are completely wrong, about everything.

The movie is very good, and really should be enjoyed in a theater. I saw it in 3D and plan to go again to see it in IMAX. If any film rates an IMAX viewing, it is Prometheus.

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I loved it :) The movie that is. The linked vid is hilarious though. All the nerd gamers, IT guys I know hated it, but those of us who went to see a Ridley Scott movie for pure entertainment loved it. Looking forward to Blade Runner #2!

nwpammy on June 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

That doesn’t really make sense, given that the Engineer was trying to destroy us at the end.

I took that part to mean he was like a whistleblower…telling the galaxy what was being created and the others were trying to stop him, perhaps?

Thus explains the warnings written on the caves about this planet.

lorien1973 on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Prometheus just didn’t have the dread and terror of the original Alien (contemporaneously speaking). The special effects were fantastic, but the character development was poor, the plot had holes you couldn’t fill with a back hoe and there were moments that were actually, though unintentionally, laughable (and, thus, mildly embarrassing).

This film spent too much time trying to build a philosophical premise and not nearly enough time building plot and suspense.

I was entertained, but, in retrospect, I could have easily waited for DVD. A moderate disappointment.

nico on June 19, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Thus explains the warnings written on the caves about this planet.

lorien1973 on June 19, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Different events thousands of years apart. I’ve read an interview with the writer, Damon Lindelof, that indicates that might not have even been Earth in the prologue.

The implication of the paintings from different eras and geographic locations is that the Engineers kept coming back at various times to check up on humanity.

Ridley Scott has said that at one point the plan was for Jesus Christ to have been an Engineer and they decided to destroy humanity when we crucified him but they dropped that because he thought it was a bit too “on the nose.” Personally I think they dropped it because it finally occurred to them that pissing off every Christian in the world wouldn’t be good for the movie’s box office.

The idea remains that they created humanity but came to regret it and so decided to wipe humanity out.

Rip Ford on June 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

It wasn’t as good as I had hoped and it wasn’t as terrible as I had feared, but overall it is a mediocre film which lacks focus on what type of genre it wants to be and is full of b-movie, cringe worthy stupidity by the characters you can’t help but laugh at.

The weakest part of the film were the underdeveloped and dull characters, they left much to be desired and I am surprised Scott let this one slip through as is. Everything Red Letter mentioned is true, you’ll be scratching your head and face palming for a lot of the film, but I can deal with all this sloppy film making if the characters were just interesting to watch.

I see some people mocking this film’s critics as “nerds”, yet if this movie had any other name attached to it like Len Wiseman or Paul W.S. Anderson, I suspect they would not be so forgiving of Prometheus. So, that would make you Ridley Scott nerds, nerds aren’t just haters.

Daemonocracy on June 19, 2012 at 12:27 PM

You are completely wrong, about everything.

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 11:24 AM

How is a purely subjective opinion wrong?

To wit:

My favorite color is blue. I hope I’m not wrong.

nico on June 19, 2012 at 12:28 PM

one of the writers was also behind Lost which is the epitome of asking a bunch of questions and never answering them, so maybe I should’ve expected what I got.
Doughboy on June 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM

The Lost story was one of the biggest letdowns ever.

Here is the entire Lost story summed up in two sentences (semi spoiler alert):

Life is all about friendship and the people you meet, and then we all die. Magical islands are just the small stuff.

SirGawain on June 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

It wasn’t so much the plot holes that bothered me. The whole movie is just one big basket of questions that will hopefully be answered in the sequels. What bothered me was the nonstop idiotic decisions made by the entire crew through the entire film. This will be a cult classic in a few years because of the utter stupidity of it all. If I was the Engineer I would have wanted to eliminate the whole crew as an experiment gone horribly wrong…….lol.

dddave on June 19, 2012 at 12:44 PM

I loved the movie. Personally, I would have liked a bit more character development, and I didn’t get that the scary, edge of my seat feeling that I got from Alien. But, the movie was terrific. The special effects were fabulous! I saw the movie at IMAX 3D and that absolutely did it for me. I plan to go and see it again. I did watch Alien again after Prometheus, and it doesn’t have the edge anymore as it did. I think too many movies have gone by since that movie was first released. It takes a lot more these days to get that same vibe.

littlekittie on June 19, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Tell me about the “character development” in either Alien or Aliens.

You can’t, because there was none.

Won’t stop the crybabies though.

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Won’t stop the crybabies though.

pseudonominus on June 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Interesting that I’m wrong about everything. Even what I said about Fassbender and the cinematography?

And yeah, that the biologist would freak out seeing a thousands of year dead corpse but stick his face right up to a worm alien-thing and talk to it playfully making kissy noises, even after it acts aggressive was, in fact, greeted by laughter and derisive snorts by many members of the audience at the showing I went to.

catmman on June 19, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I really have to judge movies that revolve round gruesomely killing most of their characters as being useless at best, with the potential to do more damage than any benefit they may provide. Why not tell the story without being a ghoul?

Count to 10 on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Count to 10 on June 19, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Without addressing your conclusion, answering your question is pretty easy: It’s much harder. You have to pull some beauty out of yourself …

Axe on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM