Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on June 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

It’s been a tough couple of weeks for President Obama, one of those stretches where everything seems to go south at once. The economy is soft, his poll numbers are down, and Europe has the markets on edge; Romney is even beating him in the money race. What was once hailed as personal confidence — or condemned as arrogance — is long gone. Panic has set in, and it’s making Team Obama do strange and disturbing things…

For months, the White House has been assuming that the economy would be humming by Election Day. Caught flat-footed by the recent slowdown, they have nothing to offer but reheated leftovers from the 2009 stimulus — proposals that not even the Democratic-controlled Senate has passed. Add to that the fact that they will only add to our crushing debt; no Congress will raise taxes in an election year. Memo to the president: The solution to too much debt is not more debt.

Panic-driven responses aren’t just silly or embarrassing; they can be dangerous too. With no good economic news in sight, the White House has embarked on a mission to burnish the president’s national-security credentials. In their desperation to write a compelling narrative for their candidate, Obama’s operatives appear to have disclosed highly classified information.

***

As President Obama left on Sunday for an international summit meeting in Mexico, the daunting array of overseas issues underscored the challenges for an incumbent who is trying to manage global affairs while arguing a case for re-election. Although American voters are not particularly focused on foreign policy in a time of economic trouble, the rest of the world has a way of occupying a president’s time and intruding on his best-laid campaign plans.

If anything, the dire headlines from around the world only reinforce an uncomfortable reality for this president and any of his successors: even the world’s last superpower has only so much control over events beyond its borders, and its own course can be dramatically affected in some cases. Whether from ripples of the European fiscal crisis or flare-ups of violence in Baghdad, it is easy to be whipsawed by events…

Some Romney advisers said Mr. Obama was too willing to avoid accountability by presenting himself as a powerless bystander.

***

The campaign has an almost mystical confidence in sophisticated technology and in its organization, assets that only matter in a razor-tight race. Further, these other strategists say, the Obama camp is no more justified in its belief that this campaign is like a rerun — with the uniforms changed — of 2004, when a shakily popular Republican president won re-election, than it would be to believe that 2012 is a reprise of 1980, when an incumbent president was thrown out for non-performance.

Any outreach by Obama’s Chicago acolytes to hear out these arguments is limited and superficial.

A longtime Democratic strategist predicts defeat unless there is some boldness. He offers an idea: Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, as popular as any American figure, has said she plans to resign after the election. Obama should persuade her to leave her post a month or so early and campaign for him. She might add some electricity and she wouldn’t be likely to commit the same occasional discipline lapses as her husband.

The secretary probably would reject such a suggestion, and team Obama wouldn’t ask. They don’t believe they need help. More than a few Democrats disagree.

***

This morning on “This Week,” President Obama’s former economic adviser and current ABC News consultant, Austan Goolsbee, said that the president should “have a mea culpa.” What Goolsbee said on the roundtable in full is below:

Goolsbee: “I think Matt’s right that we ought to come forward — and both sides — and the president should have a mea culpa, that we have gotten into a place that was very different from what the campaign wanted it to be from 2008, one in which — and, look, I think you could blame more the Republicans, but I’m sure the Republicans would say more you blame the president, but we got to — we got to back away from that. Otherwise, we’re not going to be able to confront this pretty serious challenge at the time when we — when we could do it.”…

Scroll to 16:30 in the video below to hear Goolsbee’s comments.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

One question: What are they going to use when they finally kill off the race card due to exhaustion?

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

That won’t happen with Obama, Axelrod, Plouffe and the MSM.

bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cindy, I would definitely do a reboot your computer and modem. If everything else is working, and I’m having an issue with downloads, in my experience a router reboot cures it.

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

I don’t know what to think with the media reporting all this bad Obama news. Are we going to get The Comeback Kid or are they sick of him to?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

They are probably very sick of him and will be come November, but their ideology will trump it all, as for too long it has. The car may have lost its “new car smell” but it’s the only car in their garage.

TXUS on June 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Windows 7 does not ask permission to update. It’s a little frustrating when you’ve worked late, want to shut down and suddenly discover that you have 12 updates that may take 15 minutes.

bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 1:38 AM

The auto update in Win7 has various setting, you can disable it all together if you want to.

SWalker on June 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

SWalker on June 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Look out, I actually know how to restore. I’m not going to worry about it now, I have off tomorrow so I’m going to Scarlett O’Hara the whole deal.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Excellent, I hope The Won has many many weeks like the last one.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

+ 100..Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Thanks, I think that it definitely what I will do.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM

“random acts of journalism”

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Heh. Now that is funny. Can I borrow it?

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Thanks for that kim. It is funny, and I’m late to the party and didn’t see it.

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Glad you caught it. Barky the Mutt-Muncher was a good start and kept getting better. Forgot about the inept gifts.

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Did you see where Rush said that the Daily Caller reporter only interrupted the white half of Obama?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Excellent, I hope The Won has many many weeks like the last one.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Hoping he’ll get a couple of cuffs to the side of the head with the Obamacare and SB1070 rulings.

That won’t happen with Obama, Axelrod, Plouffe and the MSM.

bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Thing is, does the poor race card have any life left. It’s already on its 10th life with the abuse it has took.

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:49 AM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:35 AM

That’s funny. This administration and it’s staff have been pretty much a clusterfork from day one. Zero professionalism.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Heh. Now that is funny. Can I borrow it?

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I think I “borrowed” it from somewhere else and can’t recall where so *koff* certainly. ;)

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Well, all right then.

I never did get that “random acts of kindness” thing. I always figured it was better to have a plan, if possible. Not that I haven’t stopped to help folks on the spur of the moment.

But “random acts of journalism” has a nice ring to it. Like a blind pig finding an acorn, it is bound to happen once in a while.

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 1:50 AM

They were lucky that they found McCain as inept as he was (having said that it would be hard not to convince me that he wanted to lose) and had the media completely invested.

This time, Thank Breitbart, the field has leveled quite a bit, the peasants are revolting and the “competence” of Obama and his cronies is being seen.

We’ll have to see how invested “reporters” are on their careers rather than their idealism and propping up Obama. Some are already starting to test the waters of starting to back away.

Should be very interesting times. Going to get ugly because there will be some that will hang in until the bitter end.

Didn’t see the Rush thing. Good for him. Will make the pearl clutchers unhappy. ;) Speaking of Rush, this was posted and was tweeted quite a bit yesterday:

Ladies of Rush

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Well, all right then.

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I’ve always looked upon it as someone making a mistake. ;)

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I’m going to call it a night. Trying to type with a sleeping puppy laying on my arms is too much. I’ll catch y’all tomorrow. YAY, Day off!!!!!

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

G’night Cindy. G’night Kim. I’m going to call it a night too.

novaculus on June 19, 2012 at 2:05 AM

G’nite Cindy. Me too, but without the puppy. :)

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

G’nite novaculus!

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Dire, quiet night eh?

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Yes!!..I will try to rock it!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 2:24 AM

One night!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 3:18 AM

Anybody around? Dire?

DarkCurrent on June 19, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Very good guitar!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Stopping by for a pit stop…

OmahaConservative on June 19, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Very good guitar!..:)

Dire Straits on June 19, 2012 at 3:25 AM

This my friend is some unbelievably good guitar playing.

SWalker on June 19, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Cindy, how about changing that “comeback kid” to a resurrected messiah?(small “m” like the pretender, of course)

Don L on June 19, 2012 at 5:59 AM

Can’t sleep !! only got about 3 hours or so!

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 6:22 AM

good morning folks!

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 AM

it’s been that way since Jan 2009….

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:47 AM

*sniff, sniff* Something smells like desperation.

Burke on June 19, 2012 at 6:50 AM

good morning folks!

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Morning, please don’t tell me you’re going to torture yourself some more by watching the Morning Joe again :)

But if you must… please provide some updates as to how pathetic that show really is…

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM

just turned it on….both mika and joe are absent so willie and mike barnacle are running the circus…they’re talking with KS gov sam brownback who actually reduced taxes, they are amazed…yeah, it can happen at the federal level too, try it, you might like it….

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Hmmmm and here I was expecting a retraction for the hit piece they ran on Romney yesterday !

Can I ask why you watch MSLSD? DO you just like hearing what the other side is saying? Personally I just can’t handle it, irritates me to no end.

Ever give Fox and Friends a try? Has to be better right?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM

You have more of a chance getting a vampire to drink Holy Water than you do getting a Liberal to lower taxes.

Bubba just did it to preserve his “common man” legacy.

kingsjester on June 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I’m sure the “extreme conservative” Scarborough is just giddy that Rubio has his own Dream Act, since it falls in line with both of their heros, Jeb Bush. I don’t know who I’m more disgusted with, Obama and his tyrannical move or Romney/Rubio’s hispandering. I think Obama edges them out, but they’re a close second.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 7:05 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:53 AM

cms, since you’ve been doing the job that Americans won’t do by watching Morning Joke, you may get displaced by one of Obama’s Dreamers who is probably illegally crossing the border as we speak.

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 7:07 AM

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Sadly not too many in the GOP have a good record on illegals, alot of them love to “hispander” as you said. Newt, Perry, and even Palin are shaky at best on the issue.

At a minimum it’d be nice for someone to get serious about the border, using e verify, and punishing employers of illegals. Romney mentioned all three in his talking points, but it’d be nice for someone to follow through for a change.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:13 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

i do listen to it to hear what the other side is saying…not a big fan of fox and friends

kingsjester on June 19, 2012 at 7:04 AM

heh :) indeed

TxAnn56 on June 19, 2012 at 7:07 AM

with voter registration in hand….
___________________________________

since obama has taken care of the gays and the hispanics, eugene robinson is hoping that he will take care of the blacks and the young voters before november since the only people mitt is focused on are old white men apparently….divide and conquer is the name of the game
now they have elijah cummings on bashing issa with the holder contempt…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

no one is objecting to it….

holy cow…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

moaning joke has their list of obama stooges cummings, clyburn and robinson who race bait, lie and assault conservatives using their race as a shield. pathetic.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

now they have elijah cummings on bashing issa with the holder contempt…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

How can anyone possibly defend Holder??? Seriously? What’s the MSLSD logic or lack thereof?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

didja guys catch where barnacle wondered why so many leaks from this whitehouse, yet the whole dream act thing was kept top secret. heilman believes it was because in both instances it was politically advantageous. duh.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM

no one is objecting to it….

holy cow…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Now might be a good time to turn if off and stop giving those pieces of trash ratings…..

That kind of ridiculousness reminds me of an old episode of family guy my wife turned on last night:

They did a skit making fun of McCain where Peter was a POW in a cage with a Vietnamanese soldier poking him with a stick “Peter goes ouch, ouch, ouch, I wanna be PResident”.

Downright sickening and it drives me nuts that kind of garbage doens’t bother me wife (she’s conservative but doesn’t follow it that closely).

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:26 AM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

yepper

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

no logic, only focus on getting dear leader re-elected

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 AM

a big d’oh

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:26 AM

good point…mr cmsinaz is the same way…

going to turn on bill bennett in a few minutes…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

good point…mr cmsinaz is the same way…

going to turn on bill bennett in a few minutes…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Do you listen to Beck? I really like his radio show (I don’t subscribe to GBTV though).

I like the interaction with Stu and Pat. I agree with them on most issues and they can even be kind of funny.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM

he comes on in the pm here …listen to him sporadically…they are funny for sure…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:36 AM

beck the gold loving huckster. what a scumbag he turned out to be. you can hear his greasy laughter in the background as his third rate jester makes a tasteless joke about glenn rice. also photoshops a black baby into a Palin family picture.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

OMG, cummings is placing the blame of fast and furious on the bush administration indicating that they started this whole fiasco…. no one is objecting to it….

holy cow…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I caught some of that. He’s one of Holder’s people, and that trumps any tired old oath he may have taken.

Now they’re on to bashing Dubious.

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 AM

yup

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Dubious should be Rubio. Stupid auto-correct!

Naturally Curly on June 19, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Can I ask why you watch MSLSD?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 7:03 AM

You watch once, just to see what it would be like, if the cast of “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” ever got its own talkshow.

TheClearRiver on June 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:22 AM

“We’re watching you to play the race card MSNBC. We saw how you cynically placed the Rev Sharpton in a postion of absurdest power.” ~ Andrew Breitbart

Flora Duh on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

TheClearRiver on June 19, 2012 at 7:53 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Flora Duh on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 AM

good one FD

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM

What do y’all think about S.E. Cupp having a show on MSNBC? I wonder if it means she leaves Beck completely?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

that would be cool…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I had heard that the idea started in the Bush administration but they saw pretty quickly that it was unworkable and shelved it. Just like Solyndra, that looked good on paper but W’s folks saw through it. I think it makes The Won look like an even bigger dummy.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I read that she will be rotating host duties with two libs. That could be a shocking experiment in terms of ratings for MSNBC, they might not recover.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

lol

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Lighten up. It wasn’t that bad and I admire Sarah almost more than any other politician.

We can’t get to the point where we can’t laugh at ourselves at all.

And overall Beck has done a ton of good things for the conservative movement and exposing the tyranny of Maobama. I didn’t like the way he thought that Newt was as bad as Maobama, but no one is perfect. I still enjoy listening to Glenn and look forward to him coming on the air in just over 20 minutes.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:08 AM

To clarify at it’s best was the purpose of Fast and Furious was to be able to better catch the drug smugglers by tracking the weapons?

I’ve heard at it’s most sinister it was designed by the Maobama regime to get further gun control.

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

What do y’all think about S.E. Cupp having a show on MSNBC?

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Here’s to hoping that she doesn’t succumb to Stockholm Syndrome like Patty Scarborough.

Fallon on June 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I heard that also, how’s that working out? It’s about time that the media start questioning this man’s grasp on reality. I don’t think he is who they think he is.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Fallon on June 19, 2012 at 8:46 AM

True!

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 8:57 AM

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 AM

if you really admired Sarah you would be as disgusted as i am. it was a sexist, migogynistic comment meant to put Sarah in her place. Sarah is a conservative icon, and always spoke well of beck. it shows what a small man the alcoholic really is.

maybe you should examine why you really like beck. the man is sick in the head.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

If Gov. Palin has a problem with it, I bet she’ll take care of it.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 9:15 AM

maybe you should examine why you really like beck. the man is sick in the head.

renalin on June 19, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Again, lighten up. You act like Sarah should be placed in a bubble and no one should ever be allowed to tell a joke about her.

It was a joke, it wasn’t vicious and intended to seriously harm her.

Don’t go attacking me for not be as outraged as you.

The difference is I have a thick skin and I know Sarah sure does as well.

And know you’re calling Beck an alcoholic. That’s pretty childish to resort to that just b/c of one joke told on his show.

Beck is a great warrior on our side.

Let me guess you’re one of those Palin supporters who think she’s going to somehow steal the convention in Tampa?

Will you vote for ROmney or you only would’ve voted for Sarah?

LevinFan on June 19, 2012 at 9:18 AM

I continue to be mystified at how many people believe the lies being spread by the Marxist Media and Obumbo Admin. I guess some people can be fooled all of the time…

aposematic on June 19, 2012 at 12:38 PM