Media pretty excited about Romney talking up Wawa subs or something; Update: Deceptive editing

posted at 4:41 pm on June 18, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Corner, this is what happens when the big political story on tap for today — a Syriza win in Greece followed by a global market meltdown over the break-up of the eurozone — gets canceled at the last minute, leaving the press to scramble for “news.” Here’s Andrea Mitchell straining to turn this into Mitt’s very own “supermarket scanner” moment, which (as the Corner notes) was a bogus hit on Bush 41 but served the Democratic narrative that Republicans are always and forever “out of touch.” Same here: Romney was taken with the novelty of ordering his sub via touchscreen, mentioned it as part of the wearisome “common ground” small talk that all pols have to engage in when they’re on the trail to warm up the crowd, and now it’s an honest-to-goodness talking point of Obama’s dumb campaign spokesflacks. Second look at a Syriza recount?

I’ve never been to either Wawa or Sheetz and am wholly uninterested in the inevitable Twitter debate over which is better, but I’ll share my own experience with food-service technology that’s completely banal yet also inexplicably captivating. When I was a kid, just a few years before it closed, my dad took me to Horn & Hardart to experience the old-school automat in all its glory. Hundreds of little glass windows with sandwiches or slices of pie on the other side, each coin-operated. It was basically a room-sized vending machine with a team of cooks on the other side of the wall sliding goodies into place as they made them. Even a kid could understand that there’s nothing impressive about that concept — on the contrary, lord knows how long some of those sandwiches were sitting there — but seeing that cornucopia laid out before you and knowing that you could have any of it instantly made it downright amazing. That’s what Romney’s feeling with the touchscreen, I think — instant gratification in placing his order, without the need to even articulate his thought. Goofy, yet endearing.

Update: Go read Sooper Mexican to see what this video looked like before MSNBC’s editors got to it. When Romney says “amazing,” he’s not talking about how gee-whiz cool the touchscreens are at Wawa, he’s remarking upon the contrast between the efficiency of those screens and a 33-page government change-of-address form. Good work, MSNBC.

Here’s the full clip via SM. The bit about Wawa versus the change of address comes in the second half.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Mitchell billed this as a George H.W. Bush moment for Romney, but it turns out it was a Dan Rather moment for Andrea Mitchell.

PerceptorII on June 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Thread winner :)…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I don’t think we have a WaWa or Sheetz here in the land of fruits and nuts.

Decoski on June 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

I don’t think we have a WaWa or Sheetz here in the land of fruits and nuts.

Decoski on June 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

You in cali? :) No there’s neither one of the two here…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

So it’s not just White Hispanics calls to 911 they alter I guess.

jaydee_007 on June 19, 2012 at 2:40 AM

And then Trandrea has to go home and let this guy get on top of her.

Chickyraptor on June 19, 2012 at 2:43 AM

MSNBC= Moonbats Spouting Nothing But Crap.

Raquel Pinkbullet on June 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM

There is no there, there, Andrea.

stenwin77 on June 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM

This kind of “editing” is reprehensible and defies all of the so-called ethics of journalism. You can edit for time but you can’t change the meaning of the speaker. There is no gray area when you take a good discussion of the efficiency of competition and making it sound as if Romney is so out of touch that he wasn’t aware that convenience stores exist.

Andrea Mitchell is a vile human being who probably deserves to be fired or suspended for this very clear misrepresentation of the truth. But, of course, this was on MSNBC if she called up and personally apologized to all three viewers it might be enough.

Happy Nomad on June 19, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I am amazed also. I didn’t think the point Allahpundit makes was that difficult for so many not to comprehend. Are there that many Hotair posters from Rio Linda?

diogenes on June 19, 2012 at 7:51 AM

I live near the Wawa Romney visited and have a few comments.

First, Wawa is pretty amazing as far as convenience stores go. They are all clean and well operated and a regular breakfast and lunch spot for many. They have the best tasting milk around(from Wawa, PA dairies), great self serve coffee, and a wide selection of freshly prepared foods at a reasonable cost.

Second, although I am a regular to the Wawa chain I had no idea you could special order sandwiches at a touch screen. I will definitely investigate that at my next visit. Thanks for the heads up Mitt!

MRegine on June 19, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Hmmm, I don’t think this was actually that big of a deal of a media story, but I can see if you’re trying hard to find evidence that the media is biased towards Obama (a nearly impossible task these days) I suppose you have to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Hmmm, your stupidity and lib bias are egregious…..

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hmmm, your stupidity and lib bias are egregious…..

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 8:48 AM

If he ever had a game I’d say he was off it. C’mon, libree, at least make us work for it. You’re too easy.

swinia sutki on June 19, 2012 at 9:01 AM

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Maybe college professors not seeing a big deal in fraudulent journalism is why journalism as a profession is in free fall?

And in this piece of NBC JournoFail you have the daily double. Quoting a previous big of New York Times bit of fraudulent journalism (it’s a white guy so he was promoted, not fired, unlike when Jayson Blair made something up.) as well as their own fraudulent editing.

What a wonderful world white leftists weave.

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM

[Wawa, Sheetz}… No there’s neither one of the two here [in Cali]…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Wawa and Sheetz are both regional vendors headquartered in Pennsylvania. Wawa’s HQ is just south and west of Philadelphia in the town of Wawa (near Media, PA.) Sheetz’ HQ is in the lovely [sic] town of Altoona, PA, out in the mountains that separate Pittsburgh from Philly. They’re both excellent retailers. Wawa began as a route of milk trucks from a single dairy, and still produces its own dairy products. I think Sheetz began as a gas station, so they’re all built around self-service gas stations.

philwynk on June 19, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Yes, the guy who literally made up the George HW Bush bit about checkout scanners is now the guy in charge of the whole editorial page of the New York Times.

Andrew Rosenthal, author of this fiction and proven journalistic fraud, is the editorial page editor at the New York Times.

Now, why is journalism as a profession in free fall?

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

the media is biased towards Obama, the bottom of the barrel.

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

How do you like that d-bag

VegasRick on June 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Hmmm, I don’t think this was actually that big of a deal of a media story…

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Right. Because supposed news organizations editing tape to make character slurs against Presidential candidates is really no big deal.

There is no evil deed that is so heinous that a Democrat cannot absorb it as “no big deal” when performed by someone the Democrat would prefer to honor. We found out during Stalin’s reign that mass murder is no big deal to Democrats. So of course, a news organization committing gross dishonesty is small potatoes compared to that.

But some of us care enough about the truth to think that Andrea Mitchell ought never to be considered “news” again for having participated in such a dishonest thing. And that MSNBC owes Mitt Romney a serious apology.

philwynk on June 19, 2012 at 9:34 AM

MSNBC has memory-holed the story from their website, and Andrea Mitchell has scrubbed her twitter stream. As far as the propagandists at MSNBC are concerned the story never existed.

Orwell would love these guys.

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

I just looked at that and came here to post an update; you beat me to the punch. Well worded – thanks.

pain train on June 19, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I don’t think we have a WaWa or Sheetz here in the land of fruits and nuts.

Decoski on June 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM

In NJ and PA, you can’t give directions saying “Go to the WAWA and turn right…” because there is a WAWA on every corner. They do have spectacular subs. Subway could learn a thing or two.

Interesting fact- WAWA is a native American -excuse me- Indian name for geese. That is why their logo is flying geese.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

MSNBC has memory-holed the story from their website

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Translated:

NBC News thinks so little of the chumps that are NBC News viewers, that NBC won’t bother them with a correction of a fraudulent story.

Funny thing is that I think no more highly of today’s NBC News viewer than NBC does.

Still an all time great NBC News moment.

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Really?
In this day and age where everyone is videoing everything did they really think they could edit out 90% of the context and then proclaim Mitt’s an idiot?

Koa on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

PerceptorII on June 18, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Let’s hear the calls for Mitchell’s firing for deliberate falsification, and her producers too.

petefrt on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Hmmm, I don’t think this was actually that big of a deal of a media story…

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Translation: I got nothing. My butt hurts.

CurtZHP on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Koa on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Yes, they did, as they more than anybody knows the average IQ of the NBC News viewer. Besides, the NY Times DID get away with the Bush nonsense for the longest time.

Thanks to the interwebs, we now know Andrew Rosenthal is a journalistic fraud for writing a fictional story about an event he wasn’t even at. What Jayson Blair, black man, was fired for.

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Orwell would love these guys.

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Luckily it was on MSNBC, so nobody saw it. Well, except for HA readers.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM

MNHawk on June 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

I know…. I know…. it was an exasperated rhetorical

Koa on June 19, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Subs or hoagies?

blink on June 19, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I was a midwest transplant to NJ/Delaware for 15 years. They are still subs to me. Happily back home again in Indiana now.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:26 AM

I can’t seem to find it today at MSNBC.

mankai on June 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Being a Californian, I’ve never even heard of either of them.

But I’m not running for POTUS, thank God.

Bob's Kid on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

First of all, it’s a hoagie, as others may have noted.
Second of all, Wawa is awesome, especially at about 2am and when in urgent need of a Classic Meatball Sandwich.

I didn’t read the rest of the story because I just covered the two most important points.

Nick_Angel on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Hmmm, I don’t think this was actually that big of a deal of a media story…

libfreeordie on June 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Yup, nobody is covering it… oh wait…

mankai on June 19, 2012 at 10:37 AM

First of all, it’s a hoagie, as others may have noted.
Nick_Angel on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I suppose you drink “soda,” too.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

OK, I’ve had it with these liars:
I sent them an email this morning. OK,so I’m a little upset!

Did you really think you could get away with another dastardly false edit?
Do you think you are the only game in town?
Do you really think that anyone believes your liars?
Andrea Michell should be fired for this selective editing, but I guess when you are willing to edit so that you might start a race war, how would something like this bother your “ethical” editors?
You have proved that you care nothing about the truth, but only about your 0b0z0.
Your advertisers will not be on my radar from now on.

Bambi on June 19, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Their answers to your questions:

Did you really think you could get away with another dastardly false edit?
Do you think you are the only game in town?
Do you really think that anyone believes your liars?
Your advertisers will not be on my radar from now on.

The only one our audience cares about.
They are not lies, we just interpret the truth
What “deceptive editing” see answer above.
See above.
Don’t care.

Hope that helps, you won’t get a response from them.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

First of all, it’s a hoagie, as others may have noted.
Nick_Angel on June 19, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I suppose you drink “soda,” too.

tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Of course. Would you prefer I drink “pop” or some such nonsense?

Nick_Angel on June 19, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Orwell would love these guys.

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Nice followup MTF.

Wawa’s? Never heard of it. – MSNBC

WisRich on June 19, 2012 at 11:17 AM

A comment from yesterday:

I’m seein’ all these Wawa fans, etc., that maybe somebody oughta set up a Hot Air meetup at a Wawa somewhere in southeast PA.

either orr on June 18, 2012 at 6:05 PM

How about Sunday, July 1, 10:00 AM for coffee, at this location near Kennett Square:

Store #8015
901 East Baltimore Pk.
E. Marlborough Twsp., PA 19348
(610) 388-6400

Any takers?

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Hope that helps, you won’t get a response from them.
tdarrington on June 19, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Thanks for the response, but I know they will not respond. I just think that if 300+ of the hotair posters let them know their feelings, they might have second thoughts. Yah, you’re right! They don’t give a darn about what we think, only the talking points that “the house” (the black dems won’t call it the White House) gives them on a daily basis.

Bambi on June 19, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Any takers?
UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Love to, but tooooo far away like in many states. Don’t have WAWA’s where I live. Sounds like Mitt gave it a lot of publicity, hope it helps them. If I drive through going east, I will look for a WaWa.

Bambi on June 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Store #8015
901 East Baltimore Pk.
E. Marlborough Twsp., PA 19348
(610) 388-6400

Any takers?

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

I’m in. Sounds like a nice motorcycle ride. See you there.

JoeAvg on June 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Watch out, Wawa! Obama will criticize those wonderful Wawa sub machines for costing American jobs, like ATMs and checkin kiosks at airports.

But if Romney got elected, could we have a 2-page change-of-address form that can be filled out online?

Steve Z on June 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Never heard of Wawa or Sheetz before this story. Speaking to Romney’s point, we have a chain of grocery stores in the west ‘burbs of Chicago whose excellent deli can often be quite crowded. They have a touchscreen so that you can place your deli order for meats, cheeses and salads then spend 20 minutes getting all your other groceries before you pick up your order rather than spending 20 minutes waiting in a crowd just to get waited on. The stores also provide a wide selection of affordably-priced produce, a lot of it locally-grown, along with imported products that serve a wide range of international tastes. Maybe that’s why they’ve been around for over 50 years and have expanded in recent years even in a bad economy.

stukinIL4now on June 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Yes, hopefully the free pub will allow WaWa to spread beyond PA. They have a great coffee set-up too.

Andrea Mitchell is the most reptilian of a reptilian bunch. Look at her eyes. They’re dead. Look at her face. Even through the studio make-up, little life in it. Not too long ago in a waiting room and forced to sit though one of her reports. I remember thinking, what the HALE is she talking about? No one has benefited more than Mitchell from the soft misogyny of low expectations.

curved space on June 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Andrea Mitchell to address ‘WaWa’ clip

MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell will address her program’s decision to run edited footage from a Mitt Romney campaign stop that mischaracterized his statements and set off a firestorm of criticism on the right.

pain train on June 19, 2012 at 1:20 PM

I’m in. Sounds like a nice motorcycle ride. See you there.

JoeAvg on June 19, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I’ll be on a bike too! :-)

UltimateBob on June 19, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Wow.

I guess the actual point of the speech was a little too complicated for MSNBC to understand.

Afterall they don’t understand the whole idea of competition for news sources either. They just think it is unfair, that people don’t watch them.

The liberal mind is just not wired right.

petunia on June 19, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Mitchell is such a pathetic tool, as in MSNBC. Every time I see that wretched name, I think of all the billions that have flowed into Bill Gates’ pockets, and the thanks he’s given America for it. Disgusting.

paul1149 on June 19, 2012 at 7:10 PM

It’s like the media doesn’t think that there’s going to be 18 people there recording the speech on their phones, or that the Romney campaign is going to be recording all their speeches.

The MSM is like the kid with chocolate all over his hands insisting that his sister stole the candy.

theholyhermit on June 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM