The invisible Romney vote?

posted at 11:01 am on June 17, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Clark Judge has an interesting column in US News for your weekend reading which poses some provocative questions about the upcoming election. Titled, “The Invisible Romney Vote Obama Should Fear,” Judge identifies a group of voters who may be flying completely under the radar, and for good reason. It’s not a particular racial demographic, or women vs. men or seniors vs. young voters the author has his eye on. It’s the unions.

The cause for his analysis, like so many things recently, comes from the result of Scott Walker’s recall election. To Judge’s way of thinking, it’s not just the fact that Walker won, but the margin of victory and the enduring mystery of how the pollsters got it so wrong.

But that margin. Polls had shown a much tighter race.

All of a sudden, the ghost of elections past is haunting the president and his party. In 1980, in 1994, in 2004—in other words, in big Republican years over the past three-plus decades—the GOP has polled much weaker than its final vote.

Why? Late deciders may be part of the answer, but only part.

Something more is almost surely going on. Here’s my guess as to what.

Particularly in big years when the party is pulling in or turning out occasional rather than reliable party voters, part of the GOP vote is invisible to pollsters. In Wisconsin—maybe everywhere—there may be reluctance among union members to acknowledge that they will cast their ballot for candidates and the party their leadership so virulently opposes.

If you’re a jaded old political observer, the idea of some sort of silent union voting block for the GOP may sound like something out of an alternate universe science fiction movie. But is it really all that crazy? When the numbers were tallied, 38% of union members voted for Walker – totally contradicting most poll numbers – and the AFSCME has lost 54% of its membership in the last 12 months.

Judge may be on to something here. The unions, particularly in the public sector, tend to run a tight ship and don’t tolerate folks speaking out of school. And as long as the government was forcibly extracting dues out of workers’ paychecks, it wasn’t hard to project an image of solidarity against “the man.” But once the curtains close on the voting booth, prying eyes who might threaten to cut off your overtime can no longer see what you’re up to. And in significant numbers, the union workers voted for a new kind of change.

Could this be replicated in other parts of the country… specifically in the swing states? Once you accept the premise of what was happening under the covers in Wisconsin, the more obvious question seems to be, “Why not?” The problems which were plaguing Wisconsin in terms of spending and the unions are hardly unique.

So, is there an invisible union vote out there for Romney just waiting to quietly show up at the polls in November? It might not be as crazy as it sounds.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

a/k/a “the Wilder effect”.

it’s real baby.

PappyD61 on June 17, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Hope they vote two or three times like they did for the Dims.

msupertas on June 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

…all the invisible Romney voters are posting at Hot Air!

KOOLAID2 on June 17, 2012 at 11:06 AM

The reason the media missed the 80,94,04 votes is cuz they live in liberal bubbles of bull$hit like the Northeast and 90+% of them are liberals.

gsherin on June 17, 2012 at 11:08 AM

invisible non-romney voters outnumber the invisible romney voters 3 to 1!

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Pragmatic on June 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Still doing your copy/paste schtick Pragmatic? Give it a rest.

wargamer6 on June 17, 2012 at 11:11 AM

O/T
Happy Father’s Day to all dads/g-dads here on HA.

For those of you who still have a dad, give them a hug. Some of us don’t have a dad to hug any longer.
L

letget on June 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Not new. Even back in the day when I was in the teamster union and they were pushing Democratic candidates, I still voted Republican and know others that did as well. But that was a different age before the rise of the moonbats. It would make sense these days that instead of freely discussing it, folks in those situations would just keep it to themselves.

AH_C on June 17, 2012 at 11:13 AM

The Bradley effect.

There are people who will not dare to tell anyone they will not vote to reelect for The First Black President. There may be many of them, especially ones that have a lot of liberal friends and family.

farsighted on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Mitt Romney can’t rely on the “invisible vote.” He has to rely on people such as myself who are quite open about their willingness (or lack thereof) to pull the lever for him. The only two groups of people that should matter to Romney right now are those that are willing to help him into office and those that aren’t. Of those two groups, he should be thinking about how to convince those that currently aren’t. Sometimes it looks like that’s his campaign strategy, and other times I wanna pull my hair out, go find Romney and ask him in person, “WTF are you thinking?!”

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

O/T
Happy Father’s Day to all dads/g-dads here on HA.

L

letget on June 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Ditto what letget said. I just lost my dad on 5/30/12. This is a tough but memorable day for me and my family. God Bless all Dad’s! Have a great one! :)

sicoit on June 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

invisible non-romney voters outnumber the invisible romney voters 3 to 1!
NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Is this really the best way to use your time on a Sunday morning, Mr. Axelrod?

Fabozz on June 17, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Unions are not above pulling tricks like impersonating polling orgs. With the media’s over-closeness to the leftist cause, union households don’t have any reason to trust even mainstream polls to keep their responses away from the unions.

Sekhmet on June 17, 2012 at 11:16 AM

My step dad was a union pipeline welder for 50 years. He spouted all the Democrat talking points until the day he died. Yet despite his votes he lived his own financial life as a conservative. I attributed a lot of this to him being a boy during the Depression.

I have friends from high school that are union coal miners and steelworkers. They have the same mentality of Dem talking points, but after 30 years of being thrown under the bus by the Dems in favor of enviro-whack jobs they seem to be waking up. I never said they were exceptionally smart.

I don’t understand how anyone that actually works for a living, blue collar or white, can possibly believe that the Democrat party of 2012 has any interest in seeing them prosper.

TugboatPhil on June 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Unions, your downfall is coming. Freed from mandatory dues, watch the slaves break free.

Conservchik on June 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Don’t get cocky.

Alberta_Patriot on June 17, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Anyone who needs a job, wants a job, is fearful of losing their job, or is sick of the recession and the loss of control over their lives it has brought is the Ronney vote that Obama should (and probably does) fear.

Philly on June 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Pragmatic on June 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

So you’ll be voting for?
There are so many reasons that undeclared Mitt voters stay invisible. Here’s hoping the election is a tidal wave of un-polled anti-Obama voting. And that like a tidal wave, it is undetected and unsuspected until it hits.

RalphyBoy on June 17, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Philly on June 17, 2012 at 11:18 AM

True as far as it goes, but Romney should also fear the voter who (right or wrong) doesn’t think it will get any better under Mitt — and there are a large enough number of those voters out there for a close election to turn on.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Yes, particularly in the midwest/Ohio Valley. Not so much in the locust states, and that’s why Obama is going to focus on them – especially CO, NV and VA.

forest on June 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Obama will pardon all-non-violent drug offenders now in jail and hand them Democrat voter registration forms as they come out of confinement.

profitsbeard on June 17, 2012 at 11:22 AM

This article is wrong. Listen to any of your union friends. They know which side their bread is buttered on. They will never vote for Romney. They might stay home, though; Obama’s anti-american sentiments don’t play well with them.

tngmv on June 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Nope.

I don’t believe this theory for a second. No reason to believe in a shy Romney voter.

And polls in Wisconsin were pretty accurate. Marquette was spot on, WPR was 2 points off (more D), PPP was 4 points off (D) and WAA was 5 points off (D) – within the margin of error and their polls had enough undecided voters to explain the variance.

In fact, just check this:

Walker margin on the polling average: 6.7%

Walker margin on election day: 6.8%

Individual polls will necessarily be off, sometimes by relatively larger margins, but rarely will polling averages with large data sets be off by a meaningful margin.

So, the entire premise of this article is complete fiction. There were no invisible-to-pollsters Walker supporters in Wisconsin (except on exit polls, but that’s another issue).

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Good point. This is why I want Mitt to take the reins now and begin energizing these folks who have lost their Hopenchange mojo. He needs to amp it up There’s enough disgust among voters for Romney already to be close or ahead in polling. That can change tomorrow.

Philly on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I’ve argued this for a while, that in 2012 we’ll see the Bradley effect many were thinking might happen in 2008 (The Bradley effect is a theory that proposes that some voters will tell pollsters they are undecided or likely to vote for a black candidate, while on election day they vote for the white candidate.)

In 2012 this won’t be about black vs white, it’ll simply be about people not being in the mood of dealing with the backlash, having to deal with family/friends arguments, fear of being thrown under the bus, being called racists, or risk saying publicly they’re not voting for Obama just in case Obama does win.

The American people are not stupid, though some really are, but the majority know and see what’s going on. People are sick and tired of this administration. Just look at Obama’s speeches, people are tuning out and even his staunch supporters are publicly criticising him.

People seem to think this election will be really close. I don’t think so. This cycle the polls are going to be way off mark. In polls where Obama and Romney are tied, I would easily take that as a lead of at least 5 points for Romney. People are going to tell pollsters they plan to vote for Obama while secretly casting their ballots for Romney.

On November 7th the Bradley effect will be renamed “the Obama effect”

Sheya on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Correction: WAA was 5 points off in favor of Walker, bot Barrett. PPP and WPR/St Norbert were the ones overrating Barrett’s performance.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:27 AM

My vote for Romney will certainly be invisible.

And yeah, we gotta quit using that term RINO.

Conservatives are the RINOs now.

LegendHasIt on June 17, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Out: 2008 Visibly Brain-dead voter

In: 2012 Invisible voter

hillsoftx on June 17, 2012 at 11:29 AM

I hang up on pollsters as I suspect many conservatives do. There’s your real answer.

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Philly on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Of course we know what Mitt should do. I’m concerned about what he will do. More boneheaded moves like hiring Mike Leavitt will just make the ABO’s feel vindicated. And quite frankly, I can’t blame ‘em.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

And then there are those who would never vote for Obama again, but will not say so in public. If, however, you were privy to their private conversations you would conclude that Romney will win easily garnering as many as 45 states.

Windsweeping on June 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

farsighted on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Could be that. Or the fact that obambi is the worst freaking POS, marxist, liar, douchebag, loser president that this country has ever had, could be a factor as well.

VegasRick on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

More boneheaded moves like hiring Mike Leavitt will just make the ABO’s ABR’s feel vindicated.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:32 AM

/Type-o

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

THIS is exactly why the unions (and the Dems, and Obama) were pushing the Employee Free Choice Act. I can’t imagine a more Orwellian name for a bill.

They wanted to take away the secret ballot in voting to, or not to, unionize a shop. They wanted card check only, so that not only is someone’s vote known, but so that it could be coerced by union gumbas.

With the vote in Wisconsin, and the mass exodus from union membership, they are scared to death.

iurockhead on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Windsweeping on June 17, 2012 at 11:34 AM

anecdotes =/= data

Based on those same criteria, and bearing in mind that I hail from a reddest of blood-red states, I would conclude that Romney will win by a razor-thin margin and will govern as though he has no mandate for anything except compromise with the Dems, regardless of congressional make-up.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Color me a skeptic. While I would love to believe this analysis, I think that it sounds too good to be true. Sure, there has always been a long standing disconnect between many union members who are forced to participate and the union thug leaders.

However, public employee unions are a horse of a different color. They work for government and are advocates for their own function in government. Teachers are mostly libs who are all for more bennies and jobs for teachers, for example. The WI results were a great bell weather of the general mood of the nation, but I don’t consider the results to bid fair to the idea of public employees defecting in large numbers.

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Romney will by win by +5% of the popular vote and become an outstanding POTUS!

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Romney will by win by +5% of the popular vote and become an outstanding POTUS!

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I can’t help but think you’re doing that just to be contrarian…but if things continue as they are now, there is no freaking way he’ll win with more than 5% of the popular vote. I’d give him no more than a 3% spread, in fact. Of course, I reserve the right to change my prediction should something cataclysmic happen to foment change in my opinion of Romney’s campaign strategy.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It is obvious that the DemLibProgMarxists represent groups completely at odds with people who want a job, union or not. It stands to reason that, at least a few, union members would disagree with their leadership.

ClanDerson on June 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

ROMNEY 2012!!

at least he’s not a Communist.

Obama, cover of Time magazine “the first Communist President” in 5…..4…..3….

PappyD61 on June 17, 2012 at 11:43 AM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:41 AM

You can mark my words. Come back and haunt me in Nov, if I’m wrong. Mitt will win the popular vote by over 5%.

I see him well on track to doing just that. I base my opinion on the shape he was in at the close of the primaries, where he is now, the campaign he is running, the campaign that Obama is running, the shape of our economy, the shape it will be in later this year and every other bit of data that I can think of.

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The Bradley Effect kind of shoots that out of the water, doesn’t it? But I promise I won’t haunt you in November if you turn out to be wrong. I’ll take one free I-told-you-so and call it good. On the other hand, I’d be foolish not to realize that a lot can happen between now and November.

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

On November 7th the Bradley effect will be renamed “the Obama effect”

Sheya on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Yep!

bernzright777 on June 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:38 AM

And as much as I would like to disagree with you, I can’t.

The middle of June is just too early for this kind of thing.

Tell me what the numbers show, when the middle of September gets here.

listens2glenn on June 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

The polls seem to be biased and filled with error.

Their numbers are as far off as the economics forecasts from Obama’s chief economist. Rosie Senario PhD.

seven on June 17, 2012 at 11:48 AM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I don’t mind. I’ve proudly boasted of the calls I got right and don’t mind taking heat if I get it wrong. I am rather confident that Nov will be another month of boasting for me :-)

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 11:49 AM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Ditto. Libs talk to them to fulfill their desire to FEEL important.

hillsoftx on June 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I lie to them. It is fun.

Key West Reader on June 17, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Disaffected Clinton voters will carry the election to Romney. I’ve seen several hints dropped by Romney himself trying to reach out to these voters.

rubberneck on June 17, 2012 at 11:51 AM

The Bradley effect.

farsighted on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Perhaps the last sane thing the Cali electorate did.

socalcon on June 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

What makes you think liberals don’t?

Again, pollsters generally get it right.

The fact that this article was based on the Wisconsin recall polls when the polling aggregate missed the final margin by 0.1% illustrates that.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

I definitely believe that Bubba is reaching out to the Hillary PUMAs and anyone else who still is loyal and supportive of him. His surrogates have been all over the news lately.

Philly on June 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

The Bradley effect.

farsighted on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Amen.

I don’t think this will be nearly as close an election as the polls show.

Look at how the fundraising is going . . . the fact that contributions to Romney’s campaign are doing better and those to Obama’s are doing less well than expected is an indicator of where opinion is trending. Or so I’d argue.

BLOC on June 17, 2012 at 11:54 AM

o/t, but a must-read and applicable to us:

How Greece Squandered Its Freedom

M2RB: Metallica

Resist We Much on June 17, 2012 at 11:55 AM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

You & me both. I’m sure we have a lot of company–for example, Wisconsin voters who “hung up” on the exit pollsters by declining to participate.

Also, let’s all remember that ALL polls are sampling only ONE GROUP: People who are willing to talk to a pollster.

Owen Glendower on June 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

gryphon202 on June 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

..gryph, we experienced the Bradley Effect out here in California and it was a complete shocker when Deukmajian got elected. He literally came out of nowhere and the Dems dropped a cow when he did.

If anything — as exhibited in the likeability polls so far — everyone wondering why a fumbling, incompetent chief executive like Obama can still remain in the 40s for personal approval while the other surveys consistently give him low-40 and 30% approval on handling the economy, foreign policy, etc.

The guy is the first black president, fercrissakes, and to dis this guy would open one’s self up to serious peer dislike in some circles.

Not to be a Pollyanna, but the tea leaves are there: shredding bloc support with the Hispanics and Jews, Independents fleeing like the wind, and even rumored black support softness. Also, kindly notice his efforts for the past two years — and especially now — to shore up his base and do these foolish moves like the TFGP gambit and ordering the halt to deporting to illegals’ kids.

The fact that he’s fundraising like a muthah must mean that times are hard, the elements of the perfect storm that swept him into office are no longer present, and he has to run on his record of abysmally inept stewardship of this economy.

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:02 PM

If these pollsters really wanted to take the pulse of the nation -they wouldn’t call to ask who you’re voting for, but who you’re voting against!

Don L on June 17, 2012 at 12:03 PM

and with the EO issued by barry on Friday, most certainly is not helping his popularity with the unions.

DiabloAzure on June 17, 2012 at 12:05 PM

OT: No Bradley Effect here: Rodney King found dead.

H/T Drudge.

“Can’t we all just get along?”

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

tngmv on June 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I can tell you with no doubt you don’t know what you are talking about.
I am and have been a Union member for going on 20 years. I belong to one of the largest labor unions in the country and have lived and worked in several regions in the U.S. and I can assure you that Union membership is as diverse in it’s makeup as any other large group. I know countless members who are conservative and will vote that way come hell or high water.. Stay home my a$$..
And those that believe Union members are all leftist drones have no idea of which they speak.

Your statement is totally without merit.

RockyJ. on June 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

…I answer until I don’t like the way a question is phrased…then I abruptly hang up.

KOOLAID2 on June 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

AP: Romney refuses to say that he’ll overturn Obama’s DREAM order

Without question, Romney used a “severe” stance on immigration to beat back challenges from Perry and the others. So Romney’s going left on immigration is the most insidious of betrayals to conservatives.
Expect fireworks against Romney.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

I can’t see pipefitters and welders voting for gay marriage

faraway on June 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM

There wasn’t a Bradley effect in 2008 and there won’t be one now.

People are just deluding themselves with this idea polls aren’t accurate.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Expect fireworks against Romney.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Romney is ignoring Obama’s nonsensical distractions. So should you. Focus.

faraway on June 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Expect fireworks against Romney.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2012 at 12:10 PM

He didn’t go left on immigration at all. He’d still veto the Democrat Dream Act that had a path to citizenship and a mass amnesty of illegals. He’s still opposed to spending taxpayers money on welfare to illegal immigrants. He still favours deportation by attrition for illegals who decide to break the law by entering this country.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Wonder why he was out swimming at five in the morning?

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:15 PM

..joana, are you voting for Romney this Fall? Yes or no.

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The exit polls were badly off, no doubt. Odd that all of the talking heads the next morning kept citing the numbers showing Obama’s margin over Romney.

Owen Glendower on June 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

May I inform everyone that there are more silent voters that might give Romney a few million votes in November.

–former Hillary supporters who were Reagan Democrats that are disgusted with the DNC, absolutely can’t stand Obama, and have left the party.

–gay people who lead quiet lives, who are disgusted by abrasive gay activist and are tired of being exploited by the Democrats.

There are millions of us who are genuinely afraid of the direction Obama/Dems are taking our country and will vote for Mitt WITH enthusiasm.

bailey24 on June 17, 2012 at 12:17 PM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

What makes you think liberals don’t?

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Because I’ve never heard a conservative say, “I want everyone to know what I think.”

Owen Glendower on June 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

..joana, are you voting for Romney this Fall? Yes or no.

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Voting, donating and volunteering. And being a small government, minarchist, conservative, I’m not even that big of a fan of him.

People go from calling me a Romney fanatic in one thread to suggest I’m not even voting for Romney in another.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

There’s also many of us who will be pulling the lever for Romney but wont enjoy it and don’t want anyone to know. Its just that Obama is 10x worse.

Its sad that that’s what Romney’s campaign message has boiled down to. Vote Romney, because hes not as bad as Obama!

Spliff Menendez on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Wonder why he was out swimming at five in the morning?

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

..dunno. But willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I had heard him a couple of times on the Larry Elder show and was surprised how much more coherent he had become.

O.C., you know that there’s a lot of celebs out here in SoCal who are either discovered face down in their pools or being gnawed by their cats and dogs in their apartment after they’ve joined the choir invisible.

Some because of pharmaceuticals, others because they just flat vapor-lock.

The ones I find particularly enchanting are the couples who have a tankard of Chablis and do some toot and end up being parboiled in their hot tubs for about a week.

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Owen Glendower on June 17, 2012 at 12:21 PM

If that was true, polls would consistently underrate conservative vote. Yet, they’re very accurate – not individually considered, as some of them will necessarily be wrong, but overall. It’s highly unusual to find a polling aggregate that completely misses the picture.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

I’ll say this much: Local 6, and the other unions at Bath iron Works have a leadership that is constantly spouting the leftist party line They are all about keeping the Union jobs intact, threatening management, etc etc etc.

And yet, I’ve seen an amazing number of conservative bumper strips on their vehicles and on hard hats among their rank & file. I run into a number of Union members at my local bar, and not one of them will be voting for Obama.

So, I’ve seen what the article refers to in real life, at least where I live. They are members of the Union because they are forced to in order to get a good paying job at the shipyard. Yet, when it comes time to vote, they helped keep W in office and they’ll as like be voting for Romney, or at least voting AGAINST Obama.

TKindred on June 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

..we now return you to your regularly scheduled HG post topic..

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Spliff Menendez on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

I’m not seeing that at all.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

..thanks. Just wanted to clarify that. Is there a link to a link to a link where you may be contacted. I am not pushing AmWay nor do I wish to drop copies of The Watch Tower on you.

Failing that: my nickname at gmail will do.

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The Silent Majority.

Thank God they still exist, and are impervious to the daily brainwashing from MSM.

ooonaughtykitty on June 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:22 PM

He was actually a pretty nice guy. I have a friend in LA who was a friend of RK and we had some beers together a few times. I was sorry to hear of his death…

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

tngmv on June 17, 2012 at 11:24 AM

RockyJ. on June 17, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Happen to agree with RockyJ. As I am also a Union member (private sector union) and about as conservative as it gets and will be pulling the lever for the conservative ticket, as will many of my union member friends. If there is no economy, and no jobs, then you dont have a contract, if there is no contract then my union membership doesnt get me too far now does it.

Koa on June 17, 2012 at 12:34 PM

It’s sort of like when you’re nice to your manager, but slam them in those “anonymous” polls they give you at work.

SouthernGent on June 17, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I’m not seeing that at all.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

That’s you. I only speak for myself.

Spliff Menendez on June 17, 2012 at 12:43 PM

bgibbs1000 on June 17, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Yup, I hang up, too, but I’ve often thought of answering everything the opposite of what I think, just to see what happens.

Fallon on June 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Wow, this is Old News. The pollsters figured this out the day after the Wisconsin vote. If I had been a Union voter in Wisconsin planning to vote for Walker, and some stranger called me on the phone, knowing they had my name and number, the last thing I would have done is tell them the truth.

RADIOONE on June 17, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Pragmatic on June 17, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Still nothing original. When Romney wins you can kiss my fat arse.

CW on June 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

0bama will just issue an EO for nationwide card check at all voting booths.

jukin3 on June 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Fallon on June 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM

That’s exactly what I do…

OmahaConservative on June 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I am in a teacher union and I am voting straight GOP!

gopsteve on June 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Here’s an analogy for ya:

Unions are to potential Romney voters as Conservatives are to putative RINOs.

There were a lot of invisible Romney supporters here and elsewhere, keeping their heads down to avoid attack during the Republican primaries too. They watched while everyone else careened wildly from one not-Romney to the next, in a state of ideological incoherence, and then quietly handed Mitt the nomination.

JM Hanes on June 17, 2012 at 12:57 PM

At this point, there’s nothing Romney can do that’s bad enough to keep me from voting for him — and I don’t even like the guy. He may be a Dem, posing as a RINO. But he ain’t Zero.

So, I expect Barky to send out a gaggle of his knuckle-dragging thugs to stomp my petunias, as soon as they track down my real name. Well, who cares? I’m pissed, and I’m proud! Even better, I VOTE!

TheClearRiver on June 17, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I suspect this “hidden Romney vote” is bigger and exists, to some degree, within every assumed Democratic demographic. Everywhere it’s dangerous to openly admit to supporting a Republican, there are votes for Romney, and as the election nears, the economy continues to sputter and the importance of every vote starts to count, these people come more and more into play. Forget 2004. In 2008, Obama underachieved the polling by a little more than a point. Even in an AWFUL year, people still openly admit to supporting a Democrat, but VOTE Republican.

TheLastBrainLeft on June 17, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Many law enforcement and fire department employees are union members, but conservative republicans.

Cavalry on June 17, 2012 at 1:06 PM

I’m not seeing that at all.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 12:24 PM

…it’s the opium!

KOOLAID2 on June 17, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The War Planner on June 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Heck, I make it a point to lie on the H/A polls too!

MJBrutus on June 17, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Many trade union members are conservative, too. Their families may have been Democrats for generations, but this Democrat party isn’t the same as the old one. And they want jobs…and the Keystone pipeline. It’s one reason Romney will win PA. (not the pipeline part, but the jobs part)

Paddington on June 17, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Sounds like the traditional marriage vote that has confounded so many people.

ktrich on June 17, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Romney is ignoring Obama’s nonsensical distractions. So should you. Focus.

faraway on June 17, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I appreciate the advice. I’ll try.

anotherJoe on June 17, 2012 at 1:42 PM