Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on June 17, 2012 by Allahpundit

Mitt Romney is refusing to say that he would overturn President Barack Obama’s new policy allowing some young illegal immigrants to stay in the United States.

The Republican presidential candidate tells CBS” ”Face the Nation” that if he’s president, Obama’s executive order “would be overtaken by events … by virtue of my putting in place a long-term solution.”

Romney was asked three times in the interview if he would overturn Obama’s order, but he didn’t directly answer the question…

The candidate’s comments represent a further softening of his rhetoric on immigration since the GOP primary campaign ended.

***

Rick Santorum on Sunday gave a lukewarm defense of Mitt Romney’s response to the White House policy shift on immigration, asserting that Romney was trying to “walk a line” on immigration. Romney’s onetime rival addressed the substance rather than the process of the decision — though the latter, said Santorum, is the more “outrageous.”

“[Romney]‘s trying to walk a line as not to sound like he’s hostile to Latinos — and [voters in] very important states — but at the same time, I think you need to hammer the president on this now-habitual abuse of power,” he said on CNN’s State of the Union…

“There is a difference of saying, ‘I don’t like the law and I wish that the law were different, but I’m the president and my job is to faithfully execute.’ And he is not faithfully executing,” Santorum said.

***

“This is obviously a way to divert attention from very bad news the president has had for three or four weeks,” McCain said. “That’s very clear.”…

“I don’t think a Mitt Romney as president of the United States would say, ‘we’re not going to enforce existing laws,’” he added. “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard of a president doing that. It may have happened, but certainly not in this fashion.”

***

On issue after issue — gay rights, drug enforcement, Internet gambling, school achievement standards — the administration has chosen to achieve its goals by a method best described as passive-aggressive.

Rather than pushing new laws through a divided Congress to enact his agenda, Obama is relying on federal agencies to ignore, or at least not defend, laws that some of his important supporters — like Hispanic voters and the gay community — don’t like.

“If the president says we’re not going to enforce the law, there’s really nothing anyone can do about it,” University of Pennsylvania constitutional law professor Kermit Roosevelt said. “It’s clearly a political calculation.”…

“Say a Republican were to follow this strategy after regaining the White House in January of 2013 and the Supreme Court upholds the health care bill, and Romney can’t repeal it because the Democrats in the Senate filibuster it, he could basically repeal it through non-enforcement,” said Eastman.

***

Since the very beginning of our Nation’s founding, there has been (by design) a healthy tension between the Legislative branch, which writes laws, and the Executive Branch, which executes those laws. Laws were only de facto valid when they were both on the books and willingly enforced. As every law is a limit upon the people, this created a very high barrier to restrictions on individual rights. In modern parlance we would say that it is a “feature, not a flaw,” as the tension between the branches reinforces the desired ideal that the default position of the federal government is inaction.

If President Obama’s frustration over a “do nothing” Congress prompts him to respond with a “do nothing” government, then I’m all for it. Imagine the good that could be done if a Republican president used Obama’s precedent: By not filling tens of thousands of authorized positions, he could shrink the size of government. By refusing to enforce some environmental regulations, he could remove barriers to economic growth and greater employment. By canceling unnecessary weapon systems, he could remove the influence of earmarks from the defense budget.

Instead of complaining about Obama’s decision, conservatives should applaud anything which increases government inaction.

***

“This is not a political move. This builds on a lot of steps that we have already taken.”

***

Via the Daily Caller.

***

Advisors to Mr. Romney said in recent days that he was working on a platform that would include immigration policies, and they expected him to unveil them on Thursday when he speaks to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials in Florida.

Ana Navarro, an advisor on Hispanic issues to Senator John McCain in 2008, said in a Twitter message on Sunday: “After Obama move, it’s time. Romney NALEO speech Thurs is I-Day.’’

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7 8 10

I get it – you’re one of those guys that reads Excel spreadsheets for fun.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM

LOL

I can see it. Sort of. I’ve got a sketchy electronic Dire to work with anyway.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Otay Peeps,I`m off,talking O/T,makes me nervous,
*wink-wink*,

Good Night, Hot Air Crew————————:)

canopfor on June 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Buckley popularized the phrase, but it was authored by the great Traditionalist Catholic philosopher Eric Voegelin.

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:2

Love Voegelin, especialy The Political Religions left such an impression on me…greatly underestimated too, don’t know why his writings are almost never to be found in the recommended bibliography or required readings in the pol sci depts in colleges/univ…

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You did a good job of fihting off that “kook” in the face the nation thread this morning!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

canopfor on June 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Later Friend!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

G’Night my Canuck Brother…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

The United States are a constitutional republic AND a representative democracy.

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

You could not be more wrong. Your first clue should be the almost visceral disgust the Founders had for democracy. They thought it was evil straight from Satan. Well, not quite but darn near.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You did a good job of fighting off that “kook” in the face the nation thread this morning!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

fixed!

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

The solution for conservatives is simple. Vote for Romney because four more years of Obama would do incredible damage to the country. But, work and fund Congressional conservatives who will work to keep Romney on the “straight and narrow” and block Obama rather than Romney or the RNC.

bw222 on June 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Otay Peeps,I`m off,talking O/T,makes me nervous,
*wink-wink*,

Good Night, Hot Air Crew————————:)

canopfor on June 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Goodnight Canada.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Night Canada.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM

What irks the Marxists is that Limbaugh shines the light upon their sycophant Old Media lies.

That, and he remains a stellar success no matter how they’ve tried to undermine him.

viking01 on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Doesn’t it bother you that Romney made himself out to be this big immigration hawk condemning Perry for in state tuition (which I was against) but yet now he’s in Rubios’s camp with this Dream Act? At least Perry and Newt were honest about their positions, unlike Romney who was less than honest because he would say or do anything to get the nomination.

TxAnn56 on June 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM

You can keep repeating that, yet Romney has been steady and coherent about the immigration issue this entire campaign.

Today he was clear with his three steps approach: First, the border. Second, implement a reliable system of employment verification. Third, replace this Obama’s mindless illegality with a long-term solution, properly legislated by the Congress, that meets the principles enunciated by Romney himself and organizations like NumbersUSA.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

PLEASE go somewhere else ……

angrymike on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No, you go, I was here before you.

FloatingRock on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

bw222 on June 18, 2012 at 12:45 AM

BINGO!!!

Well said!!

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

The GOP will betray you!!..:)

The GOPe will betray you!!..For the true cons!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM

….you’re not going to pinch me?…are ya?
….someone asked if I was a pimple on your a$$ this morning.

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Nothing that bad??? Ummm that’s not the way I remember it.

And RuPaul does not get a pass on this. The bottom line was it was HIS newsletter. That means he approves of what’s in it and is responsible for it.

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM

That’s the way I remember it. Ace was going all self-righteous nuts over it (as he is want to do) and it made very little of an impression on me. I found the complaints more shrill than most of the content. THere was one questionable piece, IIRC, but even that wasn’t such a big deal.

If people don’t like Paul there are more than enough problems with his policies that they can attack. The “racist” stuff just doesn’t resonate with me and I doubt most people would see it as even being close to what we see in popular culture all the time – not to mention award-winning popular pieces.

And he approves of free speech. Big deal. That will include lots of speech people don’t like. That’s how it goes. That’s why this place and other conservative sites won’t even let people say the same things about Barky the Dog-Eater that were said daily about Bush. It’s pathetic, really. But, this is how white-guilt goes.

And the press would have made a big deal about anything. Just lok at the stuff they’ve been making up about Mittens, who is about the most nondescript guy who’s been in a major political race in a long time. The press doesn’t care. They just make up whatever they want. Anyone who supports free speech is going to find himself in a bind with this. Get used to it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM

BINGO!!!

Well said!!

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

what?? no mention of SCOTUS??

WryTrvllr on June 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM

PLEASE go somewhere else ……

angrymike on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No, you go, I was here before you.

FloatingRock on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Alright, knock it off guys. As Shad said earlier. we are all on the same page…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

PLEASE go somewhere else ……

angrymike on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No, you go, I was here before you.

FloatingRock on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

For Rodney King, who is being nightsticked in hell, I have to say:

Can’t we all just get along?

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

listens2glenn, crap. I still ain’t apologizing. I wouldn’t do it for Bush, I ain’t doing it for you.; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Well . . . . . . just for that, your not kissing my ring.

(lower lip sticking out, snotty expression on face)

I gotta go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Don’t think I’ll be logging back in here, till Thursday.

Try not to kill each other, in the meantime. : )

listens2glenn on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Me too. Because they’re a bunch of gnostics.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

The United States are a constitutional republic

Correct.

AND a representative democracy.

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Incorrect. Totally and completely wrong. Check your nomenclature.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Fox vidio 1? I suspect there is another video above this, it does not show up on this ipad thingy. Would someone mind filling me in on what it is.

Kristol is right and then as usual he is wrong. Yes it was a really naive thing for Rubio to have done, it’s shows his lack of experience. Rubio screwed up badly, absolutely no reason to reward him with anything.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

PLEASE go somewhere else ……

angrymike on June 17, 2012 at 11:35 PM

No, you go, I was here before you.

FloatingRock on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Both of you get out. I came here from Captains Quarters. So there.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Well . . . . . . just for that, your not kissing my ring.

(lower lip sticking out, snotty expression on face)

I gotta go . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Don’t think I’ll be logging back in here, till Thursday.

Try not to kill each other, in the meantime. : )

listens2glenn on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

I hear there’s someone you can get fluffed by.
Goodnight!

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

joana, can you confirm that you don’t work (or volunteer) for the Romney campaign?

blink on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Where is petunia?

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Good night listens2glenn, sleep well. See you Thursday.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Oh no, Axe. I’m in the same boat as you. I stopped sending in my manuscripts, the second novel, and just started writing the third one, a children’s book.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Genre of the first two? Just curious. If it feels like weird prying or anything, skip it.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Ergo quid refert mea
Cui servium? clitellas dum portem meas.

– Phædrus

– And I think I’m just tired of it all. :)

Axe on June 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM

:) Plato, but I Belive It’s ‘clitellas dum mortem meas’..

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

If it feels like weird prying or anything, skip it.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

This is HornetSting we’re talking about. Everything is somewhat weird to her. The prying part I don’t know about.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 12:51 AM

What? Still iPad’n HA?

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Like I said, pyrrhic victory. Without our Constitution to limit the government AND the whim of the People, this nation is toast. At some point you have to fight for what is truly important. The Constitution is the most important aspect of America. We are not a Democracy and we do not have a sh!tty Eurotrash party-oriented parliamentary system. For a reason.

You do understand that the oath all of our officials take is to “protect and defend THE CONSTITUTION”? Do you have any idea what that means?

On top of all that, Mittens is just dead wrong on his stupid attitude toward illegals, anyway, as he said he agrees with that miserable piece of sh!t, Rubio. You aren’t going to win any votes with that, I can assure you.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 12:37 AM

So, just to clarify, you view that it is better for Obama to win the next election than have Romney win because Romney is not ideologically pure? A marxist who is shredding the Constitution as we speak is preferable to someone that the people may at least be able to hold in check somewhat?

Because you see, them’s your choices. Much as I would like to see a true constitutional conservative win the office, it’s not going to happen this year. So I have to settle between constitutional burning marxist or liberal RINO. I don’t like the latter, but recognize that another four years of the former could spell the end of our country as we know it and eliminate any chance of a constitutional conservative coming to the office for generations. So, to me, it seems the choice is pretty clear. YMMV.

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

lolz..I saw that..You handled the ook very well!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

listens2glenn on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Night L2G! Count them before you start!

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Mystery/suspense. I offered. It is good to hear from another writer in the trenches. You have to love to write because most times, you hear no. But one day, someone will say yes, we would love to read more than the first five pages.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM

You got me there!..But we are comparing apples and oranges..:)

PS..Excellent picking!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Great song Dire. Now help me out. I listened to the music, read the lyrics,and they really don’t make much sense. Should I have joanna explain them—”I love Romney forever amen,” or derigeur who probably knows what he is talking about. I’m on the dilemma of the horns. My fung shoei is out of whack.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM

lolz..I saw that..You handled the kook very well!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:55 AM

fixed!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

That will leave a mark but I bet he didn’t even feel it coming. He’s right about Rubio, though. The guy is a smooth talking politician. No more no less.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

blink on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Or a paid political activist for anyone.

SWalker on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

If it feels like weird prying or anything, skip it.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Don’t make me take a switch to you, platypus.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

It’s portem, sorry, you were right, my Latin is getting rusty :)…in France we took Latin in high school , as part of the whole Latin heritage education…am losing it tough…

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

lolz..I would probably go with derigeur!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

My fung shoei is out of whack.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

algore, call your office.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Saw Romney today, he made a stop in Newark Ohio,.. my town, actually live only about 5 blocks from where he spoke, took my 13 year old daughter, my brother, a police officer was there too. A huge crowd for a town our size, over 5000 folks showed up, 2000 more than expected. The O-bot hecklers numbered about 20 people.

He was pretty good, got a more enthusiastic welcome than you’d expect from what the usual voices have been saying about Ohio.

Wish I could have gotten closer but I can’t handle tight crowds, a quick elbow or unintended body check hurts enough to put me on the ground, and I couldn’t use my cane, not sure the secret service would have let me keep it. They were collecting buck knives, common here. Every guy just about has one.

I was impressed, and my daughter had a blast. My brother got close enough to shake his hand.

I’m feeling better and better about the fall and Romney’s chances.

mark81150 on June 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

My fung shoei is out of whack.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I hope you have insurance, cause fixin’ that takes a fortune. Happened to my cousin.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

My fung shoei is out of whack.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 12:57 AM

algore, call your office.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Step away from that chakra.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Don’t make me take a switch to you, platypus.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I’m so sorry, Mistress. I’ll behave better.

But if you really think I need it, …

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 12:48 AM

No big deal?

Here’s some of those quotes from the newsletters:

””We don’t think a child of 13 should be held responsible as a man of 23. That’s true for most people, but black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such.

“Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions,”

“I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal,”

“we are constantly told that it is evil to be afraid of black men, it is hardly irrational.”

And did I mention that RuPaul is an anti-Semite who hates Israel?

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Good night HornetSting, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Don’t make me take a switch to you, platypus.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I’m so sorry, Mistress. I’ll behave better.

But if you really think I need it, …

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Step into my office…..and bring your chakra.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM

G’Night B…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM

in a bizarre twist, buzzfeed now has concluded that obama’s book is fiction (from the Marannas? book) and that conservatives have been conspirators.

i mean really how bizarre is this. Dreams was very successful…although probably not read. Given Oprah’s track record, i assume that it is fiction…i can buy it

so, now you have a candidate who writes of the racist country that he lives in, as a slacker…and parlays that into a Presidency.

seriously…so now, on the eve of the second term they say..nevermind

you can’t make this s*** up. this county is efing nuts if the Won wins again.

and of course, conservatives are conspirators…and barry is now just a great author of fiction.

r keller on June 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Can’t we all just get along?

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Good night HornetSting, pleasant dreams.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Goodnight Bmore. :)

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

No. That’s not what I said, at all. I said that Mittens ought to be dfending the Constitution even if he thinks he risks votes in doing so. Defending the Constitution is required.

I also said that his policy towards illegals is incorrect, anyway, adn that no one likes a coward or will go out of their way to vote for one. There are some hills worth dying over. The Constitution is one of them. If it goes, then you’re fighting over nothing and I can assure you that something like Barky will be back very soon and he won’t take three years to start with the mad dictator stuff.

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I said that I am voting for Mittens because I have no choice in this race. You should read what I’ve written in this thread before you ask me to repeat myself. I wrote too many words, already, extensively explaining my position, to have to repeat it all over and over.

And my point that anyone who picks a democracy over our Constitution has already lost the nation. America has shown what it can put in office – fully knowing what is going to happen – so our Constitution is our only protection. It is what makes America unique and what allowed us to become the greatest nation on Earth. Mittens acts like it doesn’t even exist and, as I wrote before, that will lose more votes from the same people who sat out McShame’s election than it will win from pandering to Hispanics who aren’t going to vote for Mittens just because he says he loves illegals, now.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I took high school in the 70′s.. and Latin was taught then, public school. As well as French Spanish and German. I took German,.. but I was surprised to learn they haven’t taught Latin here in years… or German. Just French and Spanish.

For all the supposed enlightenment that the schools have attained since my days, they actually teach less than they used too.

mark81150 on June 18, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Step into my office…..and bring your chakra.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM

LoL. You are priceless, and I wonder if many on this thread know just how lucky they are to be anywhere near you.

BTW, Edison said he never failed in his first thousand attempts to make a light bulb. He said he now knew that many ways that didn’t work. You’ll get published and get a bunch of money for it. And it will be worth the wait.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

blink on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Already confirmed to the other crazy that the 3 of us operating this account are Mexican Muslim illegal immigrant lesbians working for Romney and Soros.

I can’t type this disclosure in every thread, give it a rest.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 12:59 AM

lolz..:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

C (HornetSting and Cindy Munford are my two faves here…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Mexican Muslim illegal immigrant lesbians

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Whoa! That’s interesting. Got any pics?

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Meh. That’s what I thought before. You’re really stretching it to find those few quotes so terrible and awful. I would ask for the real statistics but we both know that quoting real statistics about such things is “raaaacist!!” I’m really tired of all the BS around it.

And I understand that he doesn’t like Israel. He’s not an anti-Semite but he’s certainly no fan of Israel. That’s part of his policy that I really don’t like (though I think Israel can do just fine without America). BTW, I’ve lived in Israel for years – most recently 2002 to 2005 (I caught the tail end of the Tel Aviv bombings … I used to go to Mike’s Place a bit). Israel has more of a threat to its existence from the policies of Meretz, Labor, and Kadima than from Ron Paul or the US pulling away from it. Israel is threatened more by its stupid membership in the UN, which I always scolded my Israeli friends for not being smart enough to distance themselves from. So, I give that another “meh”.

Like I said, I’m not a Paul voter, but I don’t like the hysterics.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 1:10 AM

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:06 AM

You are too kind, platypus. It is good to see the ‘old timers’ coming back in, but I’m having a hard time finding a place to park my walker. :)

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM

:) Plato, but I Belive It’s ‘clitellas dum mortem meas’..

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

“Phaedrus,” Fables I though, no … ?

… anyway, the problem with quoting Latin is that 50% of the time it’s flatly are slightly wrong, so it was even odds to begin with, and you never want to break the quote but … :) Sorry my response is so late; I missed you above and only caught “portem” down here. :)

Should have translated it anyway.

Still should.

Will after short walk-about.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Mexican Muslim illegal immigrant lesbians

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Whoa! That’s interesting. Got any pics?

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

It’s just trying to milk Friday or Saturday comments…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM

joana on June 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Ergo quid refert mea
Cui servium? clitellas dum portem meas.

– Phædrus

– And I think I’m just tired of it all. :)

Axe on June 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM

:) Plato, but I Belive It’s ‘clitellas dum mortem meas’..

jimver on June 18, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Aesop, the fable of the donkey and the shepperd. Just a fancy way of making the same tired point.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

My apologies; your statements did not lead to that conclusion. To the extent of this being a constitutional republic and not a democracy, we are in violent agreement.

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

G’Night B…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I ain’t leaving yet. I was saying good night to HornetSting she said she was turning in. OC, I’ll pass you a oslice of what just came out of the oven if you fill me in on what was in that first video. The whole house smells really good, fresh baked pie. ; )

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM

I’m having a hard time finding a place to park my walker. :)

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Park it anywhere you want. If anybody challenges you, loudly demand that they stop propositioning you for sex.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Mexican Muslim illegal immigrant lesbians

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Whoa! That’s interesting. Got any pics?

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:09 AM

It’s just trying to milk Friday or Saturday comments…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:12 AM

You don’t want to see pics. Joana is what happens when a feral hog and a chupacabra go on a Four Roses bender.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I can’t type this disclosure in every thread, give it a rest.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

You haven’t confirmed anything, all you have done is refused to say definitively whether you are in fact a paid political activist, when directly asked, you divert and obfuscate. It’s one of those intellectually dishonest games you insist on playing. Why you do it, is at this point anyone’s guess, except yours of course.

SWalker on June 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I’m having a hard time finding a place to park my walker. :)

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:11 AM

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Roflmao.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

The United States are a constitutional republic AND a representative democracy.

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM

But you are electing your representatives every few years. It’s called “House of Representatives” for a reason. That’s what representative or indirect democracy is all about. You are voting for the people who represent you.

The US, the United Kingdom and Germany, for example, are all representative democracies. The first is a Constitutional Republic, the second is a Constitutional Monarchy, the third is a Federal Republic.

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 1:16 AM

I can’t type this disclosure in every thread, give it a rest.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Yeah but are you guys “hot”? The Muslim stuff kind of scares me though with all that butt and nail bomb stuff. Too much kinky.

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I can’t type this disclosure in every thread, give it a rest.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Still winning friends by calling folks crazy Joana?

Blink’s views are hardly crazy,.. but you also said that of every voter who didn’t support Mitt in the primaries too. Condescension is not a very good tool for generating enthusiasm for Mitt Missy.

mark81150 on June 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 1:03 AM

I agree with your main point that the Constitution is worth defending and needs to be defended above all else.

I was very frustrated watching the video of Romney today dancing around and not answering the question. It would be nice to see any politician get a pair and say that we are not going to allow illegals to break our laws and to encourage more of it by rewarding bad behavior.

Unfortunately pretty much all of them will pander and give non answers to try to get votes. Even the best conservatives have done it. Just look at the record of Perry and Newt on illegals. Even Sarah Palin has been a bit wishy washy on it as well (I’m thinking of that O’Reilly interview she gave where he asked her if she would round up illegals and she said basically that she would promote a path to citizenship).

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You really can be the most pleasant person.

And it’s a translation of Aesop that concisely makes a constant point.

Axe on June 18, 2012 at 1:20 AM

A Democrat — and mentor to former Florida gubernatorial candidate Alex Sink — McColl vocally supported Obama four years ago. He is an honorary co-chairman of the Charlotte convention, but in April, McColl hosted a fundraiser for Romney, saying he preferred the former Massachusetts governor as the Republican nominee.

And who will he vote for in November?

“I don’t think that’s anybody’s business but mine,” McColl growled in a phone interview.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0612/77512_Page3.html#ixzz1y7SDFW6y

No wonder Axelrod has stopped asking Romney to reveal his blunders. Even their Convention chairmen are in there!

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM

G’Night B…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Me? I probably should, but I’m here for a little while longer…I’m paying like joana and will be saying I’m leaving four or five more times.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM

No problem. These debates get messy happening over four or five pages. I wouldn’t have cared much to write it once again but I’ve had to write it over and over and over for the jay_bee commenter (or whoever I was talking to) who thinks that elections are everything. I was just a bit tired.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Bad enough to catch shrapnel, (it stings), but sharpnel dipped in muslim inards and bowel?

triple yuck…

mark81150 on June 18, 2012 at 1:22 AM

I’m finally catching a small buzz…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

arnold ziffel on June 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

LMFAO !!!

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Glad you are hanging in there trooper!.:)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 1:24 AM

the notion that one half of one branch of government is elected by voters in districts means that the entire country is a democracy is laughable. And wrong.

The Senate is now elected by the people, which was directly contrary to the intent of the Founders. Senators were intended to represent their state’s interests against the federal government. The chamber of No, so to speak.

Direct election of Senators is the single worst error ever made in this country because it turned us into a democracy. All the stupid crap politicians are pulling in DC would not be possible if the 17th Amendment was not there. Maybe you’ve noticed that the constitution is unable to defend itself against democracy except by allowing the judicial branch to be strengthened beyond its proper role. And it’s fickle, also, which doesn’t make for predictability.

We are not supposed to be a democracy in any manner.

platypus on June 18, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Still winning friends by calling folks crazy Joana?

mark81150 on June 18, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Who the heck is blink? The crazy is the freak who wrote like 50 posts directed towards me in the past couple of days suggesting I’m a Muslim, illegal immigrant and all that jazz – and there isn’t a shade of hyperbole in what I just wrote. And no, I never said that of every vote who didn’t support Romney in the primaries, that’s absurd.

And people should stop whining about condescension and tone and whatever. Call it honest and refreshing. But stop overplaying the victim card in every other post.

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I just finished reading “Act of Valor”.

Great book, very well done.

Now that I’m done with the book, I’m going to watch the movie.

As Tom Clancy put in the introduction to the book, we should all consider donating to the Navy Seal Fund.

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

lolz..)

Dire Straits on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I’m finally catching a small buzz…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:23 AM

When that happens here, it’s time to get out the guns, that usually means a rattler nearby. ;-)

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Oh, my mistake, perhaps you could tell me what the first vidio is about. The iPad thingy doesn’t see it, it’s just a blank space. I suspect there am also be a third one. The Fox one with Kristol shows up fine.

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

am=are

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Ummm yes you did… You attacked me for being a conservative that supported Santorum.

You didn’t do your hero Romney any favors.

I’m supporting Romney now b/c a RINO moderate is still much better than a socialist. It has nothing to do with you though, you are a moderate who I have little respect for.

LevinFan on June 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

AZfederalist on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Good thing we ain’t pietists…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

It’s neither honest nor refreshing.

SWalker on June 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Bmore on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Funny. I’m on an iPad too. They are tricky to do HA stuff.

HornetSting on June 18, 2012 at 1:29 AM

joana on June 18, 2012 at 1:26 AM

You are anything but honest and refreshing…
You are stale and putrid…

OmahaConservative on June 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM

The United States are a constitutional republic

Correct.

AND a representative democracy.

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Incorrect. Totally and completely wrong. Check your nomenclature.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 18, 2012 at 12:50 AM

In a representative or indirect democracy citizens elect representatives to make laws on their behalf. Does that sound familiar?

Gelsomina on June 18, 2012 at 1:30 AM