Former RNC chair to Matthews: “You’re a good sycophant” for Obama’s narrative

posted at 3:21 pm on June 15, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Heh.

“Give me the profound differences between the presidential candidate, Mitt Romney, and former President George W. Bush when it comes to economic policy?”

“That is an irrelevant comparison,” answered Steele.

“Well, no, but it’s my question for you,” Matthews responded.

Steele attempted to respond, “I’m not answering that question simply because..”

“I know why, and everybody watching knows why you won’t answer it,” said Matthews.

Steele said that Matthews was a “sycophant” for Obama and was doing precisely what the White House wanted by focusing on the Bush presidency rather than Obama’s.

Matthews repeated his question, which Steele answered with another question: “You give me the difference between Mitt Romney and Barack Obama. That’s what this election is about,” said Steele. “This is not about George Bush. Why are we talking about George Bush?”

That was former Republican National Committee chairman Michael Steele sparring with Chris Matthews, as Matthews tries to get Steele to talk about George Bush and Mitt Romney… while leaving Barack Obama completely out of the equation. Theoretically, it’s a clever strategy — misdirecting attention away from President Obama’s failures by comparing his favorite scapegoat with his incoming challenger. Steele, however, doesn’t take the bait, and calls out Matthews for being such a useful stooge for the Obama campaign. Bazinga!

Comments

Oh oh!

KOOLAID2 on June 15, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Steele and the RNC are both better off with him no longer at the helm. Steele has been rockin’ it lately.

GOPRanknFile on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

CM’s tinkles on view?

KOOLAID2 on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

This reads like a Newsbusters post.

That’s not a good thing.

Dante on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I guess it serves a purpose to wade into MSNBC but I’ll be durned if I can figure out what it is.

DanMan on June 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I don’t like the fact I have to sit through listening to the ads over and over and over again. I understand the need for advertising, but I cannot stop or mute it. Not only do I have to listen to it, but I have to listen to 12 instances running at the same time, a half second apart. It’s on an endless loop as well.

rightside on June 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

When conservatives appear on MSNBC for these type of segments, the best strategy is you jab the host by simply referring to Obama as the host’s “boss”.

Ex:

Matthews: What is the difference between Bush and Romney.

Steele: Chris, the real discussion your viewers want to hear is the difference between Romney and your boss.

Matthews: *shpoof*

nitzsche on June 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Steele shows some backbone? Could this be a trend? Stay tuned….

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Actually Chris, I’d look at my home inspector. The Home inspector should have gon through the house and identified any issues you mention. Now in your analogy, the media would be the home inpsector and based on your missing all these issues with the home (obabma) i should be able to sue you for malpractice.

Rich on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

That’s not a good thing.

Dante on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

And neither is any thread in which you show up to spout nonsense.

cozmo on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Steele should have countered with what is the difference between Obama and Jimmy Carter.

cat-scratch on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

rightside on June 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ever heard of Adblocker?

nukemhill on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

“All four of my viewers….”

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Steele should have countered with what is the difference between Obama and Jimmy Carter Hugo Chavez.

cat-scratch on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Bitter Clinger on June 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Huevos? In the GOP? How unusual. Usually it’s the women in the GOP that have the huevos to call it like it is.

BruthaMan on June 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

How much did the 2004 campaign focus on Bill Clinton?

And keep in mind the primary issues in the 20004 election, the WoT, was a direct result of the failure of Bill Clinton to take Osama Bin Laden when Somalia offered him up.

18-1 on June 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Rich on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

I would have just said, “I would blame the person who bought the house. He knew there were defects, wanted the house anyway, and said he would fix the problems himself. Instead, he made the problems worse. He can’t blame the previous homeowner because he knew exactly what he was getting and wanted it anyway.”

GOPRanknFile on June 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

cat-scratch on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

That probably would have worked better than Steele’s half-azzed attempt to steer the conversation away from GW Bush.

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:35 PM

No, I wouldn’t blame the previous owner.

I’d blame the property agent who swore to me that if I gave him $787 billion, he would ensure that my termite problem never got above 8%.

JohnGalt23 on June 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM

How much did the 2004 campaign focus on Bill Clinton?

18-1 on June 15, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Actually, Bill Clinton was irrelevant, as he was not a candidate in the 2004 elections – as Bush is irrelevent to the upcoming election.

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:37 PM

“What do you call a guy that refuses to answer a question,” asked a smiling Matthews.”

Ummmmmmmmm…

… President Obowma?

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Ever heard of Adblocker?

nukemhill on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I’m running it, and I had the same problem with an autoplay ad earlier today. Not having that problem now, though.

novaculus on June 15, 2012 at 3:40 PM

What a douchebag Matthews is.

My apologies to all douchebags.

jukin3 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Chris goes all the way down for Obama. His kneecaps must look like raw hamburger.

fogw on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ummmmmmmmm…

… President Obowma?

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Uhmmmmmmmmmmm…… Eric Holder??

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Actually I think it goes like this Chris.

I bought the house knowing the problems it had. All the people on TV told me if I hire this particular contractor that all the problems would be fixed in two years. Almost four years later the house is in worse shape than when I started. I’ve paid him all the money I have. I’ve used my kids inheritance. The contractor wants me to take out a second mortgage and now he wants 4 more years to fix the house.

I think it’s time for a new contractor.

bsinc1962 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

It doesn’t matter because sycophant is too big a word for Chrissy.

KS Rex on June 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

“What do you call a guy that refuses to answer a question,” asked a smiling Matthews?

The current POTUS, the V.P., Reid, Axelrod,Carney…the list is long

Sabercat2 on June 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Seriously, and I’m not just saying this because he’s such a douche, but Chris Matthews has a major drooling problem.

Wouldn’t you think that his bosses at MSNBC would suggest that he see a doctor about it? I mean the guy is on TV every day, drooling and spraying saliva whenever he talks. Do they think their viewers really want to see that?

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

It doesn’t matter because sycophant is too big a word for Chrissy.

KS Rex on June 15, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Chris Matthews – What do you mean I’m psycho??

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha

Better Question… What’s The Difference Between Barry and GW.

Gitmo ?…. Barry ain’t closed it… he’s renovating it.

Water boarding ?….. Barry moves to assassination

Deficit spending ?? … Barry’s like GW on Chrystal Meth ” TOO THE MOON ALICE”

Car in the ditch… Barry has closed his eyes and floored the gas

Jeebus…… Do I really need to go on

roflmao

donabernathy on June 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Uhmmmmmmmmmmm…… Eric Holder??

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

How awesomely awesome would it have been if Steele came back with that?

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

This reads like a Newsbusters post.

That’s not a good thing.

Dante on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I don’t get it … what part are you talking about?

KS Rex on June 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

rightside on June 15, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Ever tried just turning off your speakers……

NapaConservative on June 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Why are we not talking about the President’s great achievement, Obamacare?

Surely, Dems are proud of what they’ve done.

Speakup on June 15, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Matthews is a racist because he interrupts a black man and doesn’t let him speak, repeatedly.

Schadenfreude on June 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

cat-scratch on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

They both had Chris Matthews carrying water for them as they floundered about. That’s for sure.

stldave on June 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Steeke should’ve asked him if he’s learned the difference between Moscow and Istanbul.

Flange on June 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Rich on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Bazinga!

No, I wouldn’t blame the previous owner.

JohnGalt23 on June 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Bazinga!

dissent555 on June 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Uhmmmmmmmmmmm…… Eric Holder??

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

How awesomely awesome would it have been if Steele came back with that?

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, I would have had to clean my TV screen after spewing my Mtn. Dew.

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:44 PM

He has few viewers and the ones he has are Occupy-tards, so I don’t think they care.

Bitter Clinger on June 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Flange on June 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Heh!

Bitter Clinger on June 15, 2012 at 3:55 PM

rightside on June 15, 2012 at 3:28

That’s why the narrative is printed below the Video acces! CAN’T STAND THE AD’S MYSELF!

tomshup on June 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Matthews wishes that Big Mo was out of the way so that he could be obama’s SUCK-ophant.

Pork-Chop on June 15, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Good question for him to ask President Obama.

Wagthatdog on June 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Michael Steele is on target, and is exactly the right person to call Matthews, and his ilk, Obama sycophants. All the more power to him!

anotherJoe on June 15, 2012 at 4:01 PM

I don’t get it … what part are you talking about?

KS Rex on June 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

HA is not into birtherism, or RONPAUL/2012.

Little dante doesn’t like that and takes his frustration on HA.

cozmo on June 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Yeah, I would have had to clean my TV screen after spewing my Mtn. Dew.

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:52 PM

..that would have to be BOTH sides of the glass — owing to Down Tinkles Matthews spittle spew.

The War Planner on June 15, 2012 at 4:04 PM

rightside on June 15, 2012 at 3:28

tomshup on June 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Installing Click to Flash is the answer, my fellow HAians.

NaCly dog on June 15, 2012 at 4:05 PM

This reads like a Newsbusters post.

That’s not a good thing.

Dante on June 15, 2012 at 3:26 PM

When Matthews talks like a caricature of Dem-liberalism, it’s kinda inevitable.

Don’t like it, don’t read it.

thebrokenrattle on June 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

steel goes on morning joe at least 2-3 times a week. usually he gives such rediculous cringe-worthy answers and passive non-defenses its pathetic. i expect this to be his high water mark. and i voted for him; twice.

t8stlikchkn on June 15, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Rich on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Bazinga!

No, I wouldn’t blame the previous owner.

JohnGalt23 on June 15, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Bazinga!

Actually, on the house question you just go with it. You say YES! You would blame the guy you bought the house from, but if after 4 years you haven’t made a single repair, and in fact the house is now in poorer condition – you have to blame the current owner.

Mitt-turn around-Romney is great at fixing things.

Thank you for that analogy Chris Matthews!

joncoltonis on June 15, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Ummmmmmmmm…

… President Obowma?

Seven Percent Solution on June 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Uhmmmmmmmmmmm…… Eric Holder??

Turtle317 on June 15, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Ummmmmm…David Axelrod?

fossten on June 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Why ANY Republican EVER goes on MSLSD is beyond me…

Just stop… NOBODY is watching anyway…

Khun Joe on June 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I don’t get it … what part are you talking about?

KS Rex on June 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM

HA is not into birtherism, or RONPAUL/2012.

Little dante doesn’t like that and takes his frustration on HA.

cozmo on June 15, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Dante is probably just upset that it doesn’t sound like something that would be written in a Ron Paul newsletter.

GOPRanknFile on June 15, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Actually, I think a lot of people are beginning to think that maybe Bush was not so bad after all.

Terrye on June 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

“Wouldn’t you blame the guy you bought the house from?”

… which still has nothing to do with George Bush. Barack Obama is in the house, and Mitt Romney is competing for it. If it still had termites when George left it, that’s not Romney’s fault, but it might be Obama’s for not getting rid of them in FOUR F@#$ing YEARS!

Right?

manwithblackhat on June 15, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Schadenfreude on June 15, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Exactly. If Steele were a white man, Matthews never would have interrupted him or spoken to him with such obvious disrespect.

Why does MSNBC hire such raaaaaacist commentators?

AZCoyote on June 15, 2012 at 4:39 PM

cat-scratch on June 15, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Actually a better person to contrast obama to be would be Hugo Chavez

acyl72 on June 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Every day, the contest becomes more and more clear. This is a referendum on Obama’s 1st term. Steele got that memo and good for him. Obama’s only hope, and it is failing spectacularly is to con people in to believing that Mitt is not an acceptable alternative.

The problem for him, is that Mitt is experienced (much more than Obama ever was), competent, economically knowledgeable, steady and not the least bit scary (except to the hard core libs who are terrified of him). There is no way that PBHO can sell America on the FUD factor. That is why Obama is toast.

MJBrutus on June 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Four decades too late. The media should have ben destroyed in the Reagan years.

tom daschle concerned on June 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Yikes! Someone needs to tell Mathews that Glass-Stegal was repealed by President Dollar Bill Clinton, not GWB.

Deafdog on June 15, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Matthews is a simple minded free market hating socialist and an Obama cheerleader.

Steele was right to refuse to answer his stupid question. The only way to deal with stupid questions and obvious bias in the media is to call them out. This is what Gingrich was good at. He would have chewed Matthews up and spit him out.

farsighted on June 15, 2012 at 4:47 PM

“Bazinga”..Excellent, Big Bang fan??

Is that you Sheldon?

bluealice on June 15, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Truely hilarious (and truly ignorant) – Obama’s main talking point is that a 15% tax rate on cap gains under Bush vs. a 20% tax rate on cap gains in the Clinton years was the cause of the 2008 finiancial collapse.

Note: Obama doesn’t ever explain why he didn’t bother to correct this issue for 4 years. But in a second term, he will increase cap gains tax rate to 35% and that will cause an economic boom.

Idiots.

Deafdog on June 15, 2012 at 4:51 PM

“Wouldn’t you blame the guy you bought the house from?”

“Certainly! I’ll suggest that Romney credits you when he uses that line in his acceptance speech later this year!”

dominigan on June 15, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Well Tingles, it depends..if that broken down house was for free from Rezco, you cant complain about the problems.

malkinmania on June 15, 2012 at 5:11 PM

These guys are so in deep with and for Obama. It is just hilarious!

“Wouldn’t you blame the guy you bought the house from?”

This has got to be like the stupidest thing his 16 viewers have ever heard him say.

JellyToast on June 15, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Steele should have said:

Bush was a spendaholic. Not as much as Obama, but still a spendaholic.

Romney will be more careful with our money.

itsnotaboutme on June 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I think the answer to the house question should go like this…… Obama and his fraternity brothers rented 2 of the 3 rooms in the house for 2 years before they bought it. They should have known about all the damage since they were responsible for much of it.

Spider79 on June 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Why does everybody cast these confrontations as conservative wins? They never are. Steele didn’t win any more than MM did against Juan Williams the other night. No matter how right we are, we always look crazy/unhinged/whatever against the libs (who actually are crazy and unhinged but control the narrative).

mrsknightley on June 15, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Steele could have so easily race-baited that one, give Chrissy a taste of his own medicine.

Crusty on June 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The guy you bought the house from??!!

So being president is like OWNING the economy? Congress has nothing to do with it?

To even attempt to use this analogy, you’ve got to replace “buying a house” with “buying 33% of an apartment complex.”

If a president had the same power over the economy that a house owner has of his house, it would be a fair comparison. As it is, it’s just a contrived and useless analogy.

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Wait a minute. Is Matthews suggesting that Obama would like to unload this house because of pre-existing conditions?

CitizenEgg on June 15, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Steele’s answer was fine: refuse to be diverted. It’s an attempt to shift discussion of Obama to Bush.

Two other decent answers:

a) Obama’s economy is much worse than Bush, so a return to Bush’s policies would actually be a clear improvement. Nobody likes to be seen embracing Bush, but it’s not hard to make the case that 5% unemployment, 5% GDP growth, and 200 billion dollar deficits are a sight better than 8% unemployment, 2% GDP growth, and 1600 billion dollar deficits

b) Since our economic crisis didn’t occur until the Democrats took control of Congress, and since the Senate, which is still controlled by the Democrats, has not passed a budget in over 3 years, the better question is not “how is Romney different from Bush?” but “how is a Republican Congress different from a Democrat Congress?”

There Goes The Neighborhood on June 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Get Gingrich on that program and he’ll remove whatever serves as Matthews’ reproductive parts and then shoot baskets with them.

Louis on June 15, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Well you certainly don’t think Prissy Chrissy is going to talk about Barry’s record do you?

GarandFan on June 15, 2012 at 7:05 PM

First,
Thank you Michael Steele!

ITguy on June 15, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Second,
Chris Matthews’ saying

Wouldn’t you blame the guy you bought the house from?

Is just more of the same Democrat blaming George W. Bush for what the Nancy Pelosi House and Harry Reid Senate did to the economy.

If anyone wants to talk about what the Democrats (Obama included) “inherited” from the Republicans, the correct focal point is January 2007, not January 2009.

Democrats (Senator Obama included) took majority control of spending in January 2007.

Democrats will continue to blame Bush, but here’s what Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Barack Obama, Joe Biden, Hillary Clinton, and the rest of the Democrats “inherited” when the balance of power switched from Republican to Democrat in Janaury 2007:

1) A FY 2007 deficit of $501 Billion.

2) Total National Debt under $8.7 Trillion.

3) Unemployment 4.4%

4) “Discouraged Workers” (not counted in the unemployment number): 274,000.

5) Employment-population ratio (for those age 16 years and over): 63.4%

6) The Zillow U.S. Home Value Index was over $190,000.

What do we have now, after less than five and 1/2 years of majority Democrat control? (I have to break this up into two different comments due to the number of links)

UPDATED WITH MAY NUMBERS

1) An actual first-half FY 2012 deficit of $791.7 Billion, and a projected full-year FY 2012 deficit of $1,583 Billion ($1.583 Trillion).

2) Current Total National Debt over $15.7 Trillion.

3) Unemployment 8.2%

ITguy on June 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM

What do we have now, after less than five and 1/2 years of majority Democrat control? (continued)

4) “Discouraged Workers” (not counted in the unemployment number): 830,000.

5) Employment-population ratio (for those age 16 years and over): 58.6%

6) The Zillow U.S. Home Value Index is under $150,000.

ITguy on June 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Third,
Michael Steele and anyone else who is going to represent the Republican Party needs to learn how to say:

You want to talk about George W. Bush and Republican policies?

OK, let’s compare apples to apples. Let’s compare the spending and deficit from the last fiscal year that Republicans controlled the House, Senate and Presidency to the first fiscal year that Democrats controlled the House, Senate and Presidency. Since most of the spending for FY 2009 was actually passed in 2009 and not 2008, let’s compare the majority-Democrat FY 2009 numbers to the majority-Republican FY 2007 numbers.

Let’s do that, why don’t we?

The TRUTH is that Democrats inherited a GOOD economy from the Republicans.

The TRUTH is that Democrats drove the economy into the ditch.

Stop blaming Bush for what Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, Senator Barack Obama, Senator Joe Biden, Senator Hillary Clinton, etc. did to the economy in 2008!

ITguy on June 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

We call that person “Eric Holder.”

Marxism is for dummies on June 15, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Steele should have said:

“Excuse me Chris, but here’s my handkerchief so you can wipe off that spot of Obama’s DNA from your chin.”

georgej on June 15, 2012 at 8:42 PM

“Wouldn’t you blame it on the guy you bought the house from?”

Well then, Chris, four years from now if President Romney’s having a rough time with the economy, I trust you’ll be blaming Obama. Right?

rasqual on June 15, 2012 at 9:36 PM

UltimateBob on June 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

ITguy on June 15, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Are either of you available to Help former Governor Romney with debate prep?

If the “Etch-A-Sketch” comment and his rather stiff style is any example, he needs you help mor than Michael Steele.

Someone better be getting any Repub on the ticket ready since any errors will be used against them. The media will be starved by then.

IlikedAUH2O on June 15, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Time out. Chris has the analogy wrong.

You have problems with your house and you hire a new guy to fix them. After his inspection, he says it’ll take a certain amount of time and money to fix the problem. You say OK and give him the money.

After the time is up, the problems are not fixed so you ask him why. He says that the problems were worse than he thought. You ask, “In what way?”

He just stares at you and says, “Well, they were just worse.”

That’s what we have here. Obama is claiming the problems were worse than he thought but cannot say how.

He isn’t saying that the January 2009 unemployment rate was higher than we thought, or that anything else was different. It was just harder to fix than he thought and that’s all the specifics he can cite.

This is EXACTLY the sound of incompetence and if you’ve ever heard the excuses of someone who cannot complete a task but can’t tell you why, you know the sound.

Pythagoras on June 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Rich on June 15, 2012 at 3:29 PM

GOPRanknFile on June 15, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I agree wholeheartedly. He knew exactly what he was getting himself into. As a matter of fact, wasn’t he one of the Democratic majority that sprinkled the termites around, cut the electrical wiring, and clogged the plumbing with all the cr@p passed through the congress? He was partially responsible for the problems that he promised to fix.
He should have been busy hiring exterminators, electricians, and plumbers to fix the mess instead of retiring to the damned golf courses.
I’m guessing the placard that Truman had, “The buck stops here” is no longer in the oval office. I wonder if GWB has it in his ranch house since he’s getting the blame for everything. I’m still waiting for Obama to blame Bush for the crucifixion of Christ.

Zooid on June 16, 2012 at 1:47 AM

They should’a kept the camera on Chrissy when Steele was whackin him for bringing Bush up… @ 1:09 Chrissy looks up and to his left. As Sister Mary of the Broken Ruler Order use to say… “the answers are not up there”.
Chrissy had a moment of knowing… that he was out of order. Not that he cares in the long run, but he knew Steele was right.

RalphyBoy on June 16, 2012 at 11:41 PM