Sandra Fluke: The job market for graduates is getting better, you know

posted at 8:55 pm on June 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via the Washington Free Beacon, this is enjoyable if only for the futility of the CNN host in trying to convince Fluke that the plural of “anecdote” is not “data,” only to be assured — repeatedly — that she’s talked to college grads from across the country. This is what they’re telling her, in casual conversation. So, you know, you can take it to the bank.

Is it true that the job market for grads is improving? Let me put it this way: If a team trailing 42-0 kicks a field goal late in the fourth quarter, are their chances of winning improving? If yes, then yeah, the market’s improving:

Though the labor market is recovering slowly, graduates this spring have only slightly better chances of landing jobs than grads did in the depths of the recession, experts say…

“The kids graduating in 2012 are a little better off than their older brothers and sisters who graduated in 2010 or 2011, but it’s still very difficult to find a job,” Shierholz said. “The overall labor market is weak, and young workers are getting slammed.”

Moreover, some economists believe students face an even bleaker job market than the numbers suggest — among the worst in decades.

How bad? Bad:

Unemployment and underemployment rates of young graduates have only modestly improved since their peak in 2010.

For young high school graduates, the unemployment rate was 32.7 percent in 2010 and 31.1 percent over the last year (April 2011–March 2012), while the underemployment rate was 55.9 percent in 2010 and 54.0 percent over the last year.

For young college graduates, the unemployment rate was 10.4 percent in 2010 and 9.4 percent over the last year, while the underemployment rate was 19.8 percent in 2010 and 19.1 percent over the last year.

Among all workers under age 25, unemployment stood at 16.4 percent in March, fully twice the national average. And according to an AP study conducted a few months ago, 53.6 percent — no typo — of people under 25 with bachelor’s degrees were either unemployed or underemployed last year, an 11-year high. Watching this clip actually gives me new respect for that analysis from Carville’s firm urging Obama to stop, stop, stop talking about improvements in the economy when no one out there is feeling it. If she had stuck to the standard “Republicans don’t care about [important Democratic constituency]” argument, she could have skated. As it is, despite Fluke’s newfound status as a liberal truth-to-power martyr/voice of a generation, the CNN anchor’s skepticism is palpable. When you’ve got official progressive Absolute Moral Authority going for you, you’ve got to inch awfully far out on the limb policy-wise to earn a raised eyebrow from the media.

The reason she was on, incidentally, is because she just unveiled her presidential endorsement on CNN’s website. I’m not going to spoil the surprise. See if you can guess.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Does this mean there’s lots of “high-roller” jobs on Wall Street that they can slip right into after graduation?

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Dammit! not even a minute in a we already got two jokers stealing my thunder. Ah well, I believe after this particular act of patronage the young lady owes El Rushbo an aplogy for calling her what she is.

abobo on June 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

That’s not the sort of work most girls are looking for, Sandra.

CurtZHP on June 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Please go away, Ms. Fluke.

Fallon on June 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Who cares?

College Prof on June 14, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Can we please get some sorta Hannity & Colmes-esque sideshow on CNN or MSNBC with Meghan McCain and Sandra Fluke as co-hosts?

Jeddite on June 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Gary Johnson! Am I right??

drewwerd on June 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yeah, well, I guess when you have her connections the job market is pretty good. For all the other grads, ehhh, not so much.

stukinIL4now on June 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM

who’s hiring sluts?

deimos on June 14, 2012 at 8:56 PM

I think the professionals are called whores.

the_nile on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

It’s a flatworm!

Logus on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What roll in the choom gang does this prostitute play?

tom daschle concerned on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Well, the good news is that her free Obama birth control serves as a good backup for a profession that is always in demand.

The Count on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Good to know, I’m graduating next month.

Swerve22 on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

So nice to a strong independent woman who believes she can do it on her own.

CW on June 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

You really do have to wonder how many guys she meets nowadays who fully expect her to be easy because she chose to insert herself into the whole “taxpayer provided birth control” mess.

CurtZHP on June 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

She can go F%ck herself. That wont cost us anything.

taternuggets on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Why would anybody give a Fluke who she’s endorsing?

phxconservative on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

What a whiny little sh!tstain this Fluke-Up is. I can call her that too because my wife’s a real woman.

Corporal Tunnel on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

she’s talked to college grads from across the country. This is what they’re telling her, in casual conversation. So, you know, you can take this to the bank.

I wonder if those are the same grads who have been paying $3k a year for contraceptives.

Laura Curtis on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

the tramp who couldn’t afford her own birth control is now an expert on the economy based on some people she has talked to?
well that’s all the evidence I need.

exceller on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

A true lib-tard whose 15 minutes of infamy are now up.

You can’t stay relevant, if you never were sweetie…..now go have some anonymous sex and stuff.

Tim_CA on June 14, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Rhetorically-speaking, why is CNN desperately giving relevance to a triple-bagger whose only claim to 15 milliseconds of fame was a phone call from SippyCup after she revealed she has lots & lots & lots & lots & lots of sex?

More to the point, why do restaurants, hotels, and airports continue to feed this pig of a network news channel?

SnarkySam on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Unfortunately…

No gave a sh!t about her demand for free Government “one size fits all” rubbers..

No jobs created in the rubber factories…

Electrongod on June 14, 2012 at 9:08 PM

AP’s either scrapping the bottom the barrel with this post or he is infatuated with Sandra. Either way, I don’t understanding his obsession and/or judgment with running with this post.

Ms. Fluke isn’t relevant beyond the 10% of the country who might care about her.

newtopia on June 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Ooh, ooh, ooh, ooh! I know, I know! Lemmie guess!

Eisenhower!

Kingfisher on June 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Um, did you count the unpaid internship as ‘employed’?

Well, then, the job market is ‘improving’.

Sir Napsalot on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I clicked on the vid — and then I remembered: I don’t give a crap what this woman thinks about anything at all. She is so far beyond inconsequential. She’s the Kato Kaelin of feminism, hanging around letting someone else pay her bills, but with not much of anything at all to say.

Rational Thought on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

I guess she’s the new “Monica Lewinsky”. What status to aspire to.

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

She was wanting to give the American Taxpayer a BJ.
And said it in public….

The new norm…..

Electrongod on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Hmmm. Those first two aren’t showing up on the page.

novaculus on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Thanks again Rush for making this stupid woman a hero to all her accomplices in the media. Now we won’t be able to escape her crap.

Robb on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

good news- still lots of old fashioned slutty opportunities for the under 25 special snowflake set if that degree in puppet making doesn’t work it’s money making magic: pole dancing and prostitution.

i care more what holocaust survivor and conservative retired burlesque dancer chesty morgan thinks of the economy and who she’ll vote for than about anything that will ever slither out of sandra fluke’s mouth.

mittens on June 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM

Perhaps she is better named Sandra Flack! >:D

The Evil Doctor K on June 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

CurtZHP on June 14, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Heh. If I had been cursed to grow up as a Democrat with no standards (redundant, I know) or maybe a smelly OWS-er, I’d demand from her LOTS of degrading sex because, after all, I’m paying for it.

SnarkySam on June 14, 2012 at 9:12 PM

It’s nice to get updates from the country’s most notorious slut hussy fornicator …aw forget it.

Nessuno on June 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Sarah who?

Robb on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

You’re being sarcastic, and yet… there she is, in all of her moronic glory, reminding everyone with a brain that a) she doesn’t have one, and b) she’s an Obama supporter.

This is bad… why again? Why is it bad for us that the left insists on instilling braindead zombies with ‘credibility’?

Midas on June 14, 2012 at 9:13 PM

What a Fluke-up.

TXUS on June 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Not the jobs i am interested in.

May be she refers to jobs for whores, something she seems to be a better knowlegdeable in

huntingmoose on June 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

This woman is stuck on stooopid!

MisterPundit on June 14, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Well that’s great news. It’s pretty good for young people now. Does this mean we don’t have to pay for all your contraception anymore, or are we still on the hook for that?

stldave on June 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

So Monica Fluke supports Barry. What a shock!

GarandFan on June 14, 2012 at 9:15 PM

She will luv us long time…

Electrongod on June 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Georgetown should be ashamed that this is the product of their education system. Truly shameful.

No wonder her and Mega Mac are buds.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Fluke: “I am hearing that from graduates across the country.”

= pillow talk

WhatSlushfund on June 14, 2012 at 9:17 PM

The new face of the Democrat party?

Perfect.

CorporatePiggy on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I go on record as opposing any suggestive and sexually abusive
Uppereastside-esque personal attacks on her and all other women.

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

And by what criterium has she now become an expert?

Oh yes… She’s the slut who wants subsidized birth control.

I wonder if she’s also taking subsidized antiretroviral therapy for HIV…

Danny on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

She still hasn’t done anything with her hair.

hepcat on June 14, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Hmmm. Those first two aren’t showing up on the page.

novaculus on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

It’s because I really earned first place with that witty comment? Strange housekeeping Allah. Thanks though I like being first which I am sure you are all to aware of. ; ) Don’t ban me bro.

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Fluke, puke.

psychocyber on June 14, 2012 at 9:20 PM

I’m convinced Sandra Fluke was crr6.

Mike Honcho on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Obama loses Obama Girl’s endorsement and gains Fluke’s. It’s pretty much a wash.

hepcat on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

She has a job, all right, but Obama shill isn’t a good long-term bet. Perhaps she can be a docent at the Obama Presidential Library some day. Or an exhibit.

Mr. D on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I’d still hit it. God help me, i would. I’m weak. WEAK!

wccawa on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Fine. Where is that wonderful sense of humor ?

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Oh poor, naive Sandra. You’re so young you don’t know what a good job market for younger people looks like. In the Reagan years, we all had jobs. Good enough jobs that we could buy condoms by the case, just so we could have water balloon fights with them! Oh, those were the glory days….I’m telling you.

stldave on June 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Robb on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He also helped make her a deserving laughingstock to the rest of the discerning public that doesn’t fall for the MSM’s agenda.

Right Mover on June 14, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Well I was first for a moment anyway. : (

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

“And I think that the difference between Governor Romney and President Obama is that both of them are very focused on improving the economy for all of us. But President Obama is focused on improving it for all of us – not just a select wealthy few.”

-Sandra Fluke (emphasis hers)

Let’s repeat that again.

Seriously? Many high school students can give a more coherent, logical statement.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

The new face of the Democrat party?

Perfect.

CorporatePiggy on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Warren/Fluke 2016?

Corporal Tunnel on June 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I’d still hit it. God help me, i would. I’m weak. WEAK!

wccawa on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I admire the fact that you can overlook her resemblance to a Friar Monk.

But it’s a bad idea. Your pork sword would turn green and start smoking.

CorporatePiggy on June 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Your objection is duly noted.

I have not.

BTW.. isn’t ‘fluke’ a type of fish? No relationship at all to the namesake’s hygiene status, is there?

Disclaimer: the above comment is purely meant in a sarcastic humor-driven satire-type of manner akin to the likes of Bill Maher and Larry Flynt, both avowed liberal supporters, and not meant to offend the politically-correct & wrap of heart. For those who are offended, well good for you.

Danny on June 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

A good sign of a leftist is their reliance on anecdata.

Waggoner on June 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I’d still hit it. God help me, i would. I’m weak. WEAK!

wccawa on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Bag…
Hide wallet…
Full body protection…
Full medical check-up afterward…
Shots…

Wake up man!

Is it worth the effort?

Electrongod on June 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I go on record as opposing any suggestive and sexually abusive
Uppereastside-esque personal attacks on her and all other women.

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Even jokes rogerb?

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I would hit it. But I’d lay a board across her legs so I wouldn’t fall in.

The Rogue Tomato on June 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

bluegill=romneys fluke.

renalin on June 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

I can’t wait to hear her quoted in a year or two after the Catholic suits are either all turned back by all the circuit courts or all consolidated in one SCOTUS and SCOTUS rules in favor of the Catholic insitutions 9-0.

BuckeyeSam on June 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Robb on June 14, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Rush didn’t make Fluke a hero. Anybody who says that should have audio of Fluke’s stupid comments to Congress playing in the background. Lot of Republican pundits just wanted to prop themselves up by chiding Rush on that but only way they can get away with it is the fact they don’t have Fluke’s comments being played in the background. Nobody would defend her if that was in the case. It’s stupidity. If you do a satire show how do you not talk about that if you hear it.

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I thought Rush’s Fluke commentary was some of the funniest stuff he has ever done. I felt like a badass when all these Republicans got all uptight about it too. That was defintely hall of fame satire, and just playing the Fluke audio was funny enough about itself.

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Allah to shut down this thread in 5 4 3 2 1 ……….

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’m convinced Sandra Fluke was crr6.

Mike Honcho on June 14, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I thought crr6 was always bragging about getting a job at a high-powered NYC firm. I figured that she’s been working her a** off since last summer during her first year with the firm. I’ve been hoping for two things: that she got stuck doing document review on some huge litigation matter and that she was an associate at the NYC firm that imploded in the past two months.

BuckeyeSam on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

And I care what she has to say why?

clippermiami on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Bye. ; )

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Are you better off now than you were two years ago?

Absolutely.

crr6 on May 30, 2011 at 5:35 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

She endorses Obama?

Isn’t Obama gay?

Isn’t Fluck craving for the shaft?

What am I missing?

Electrongod on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Allah to shut down this thread in 5 4 3 2 1 ……….

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Why the need for divine intervention? I’m assuming it has something to do with me.

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2012 at 9:23 PM

Look at it this way. If Fluke’s career ends up being nothing more than a Meghan McCain-like vapid MSNBC Chelsea Clinton fish flash in the pan, and keeps her away from practicing law, she’ll do less damage to real people.

Danny on June 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

BuckeyeSam on June 14, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Nobody just disappears like that.

Either something really bad happened or Mom and Dad curtailed her internet usage.

CW on June 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

I guess there’s always a market for useful idiots. The question is how well it pays.

kim roy on June 14, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Wash your damned hair!

Lanceman on June 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Nobody just disappears like that.

CW on June 14, 2012 at 9:32 PM

Or she’s the lead strategist for Bark’s campaign.

It would explain everything.

CorporatePiggy on June 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

It was just a few months ago when a LOT of Republican pundits were basically saying Rush just cost Romney the election with his Fluke comments.

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Well I do tend to thing the plural of anecdote IS data, if it’s a lot of anecdotes. It’s unlikely Fluke had a large sample size of aencdots though.

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

There are some very ungentlemanly jokes one could make about her interviewing strategies. But we shall not.

AbaddonsReign on June 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

And the Jets will win a Super Bowl long before a Keynesian would spend the nation out of debt.

Freelancer on June 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Leave it to CNN to drag this nasty obamaslut back out from under her rock.

Pork-Chop on June 14, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Oooooh the coveted Sandra Fluke endorsement. Quick get Heileman and Halperin busy writing Game Change 2: The Fluke Factor. I will bet there are tears of regret flowing in camp Romney today. First they lose the Fluke endorsement and then they barely tie Obama in Michigan.

msmveritas on June 14, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Assumption is fraught with failure. Never assume. Check the quoted comment at 9:02 PM

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

14:59

p0s3r on June 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Sandra Fluke, Anna Wintour, and Elizabeth Warren need to get together and cut an ad for Obama. We can also throw in SJP with her feedbag on too for good measure.

It would be awesome.

Punchenko on June 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

listens2glenn , Congrats on your first. ; )

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

AbaddonsReign on June 14, 2012 at 9:38 PM

You know you want to. ;)

Plus, there are some threads that don’t deserve gentlemen comments/jokes.

kim roy on June 14, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I hope she keeps getting free contraceptives and uses them. Her genes need not go any further.

Dingbat63 on June 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I have a question. How do they calculate the in employment rate of “young high school graduates”? Isn’t the unemployment rate a function of unemployment benefits? If so, are they saying these kids are getting unemployment benefits? If they’re not, and they’re factoring them into unemployment, then we should be seeing the U6 numbers of 15-17%

LtGenRob on June 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:41 PM

The Monica BlewClintSki thingy?

Lanceman on June 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Danny on June 14, 2012 at 9:31 PM

The sad thing is that Megs and Sandy will probably get a career as left wing pundits.

MeatHeadinCA on June 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Go away Sandra! We don’t have any free rubbers for you here!

bernverdnardo1 on June 14, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Lanceman on June 14, 2012 at 9:43 PM

Yeah, but why edit mine? Mine was harmless.

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Dr. Tesla on June 14, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Really? Please post links that support this statement.

Anyhoo, the SCOAMF has, all by his lonesome, managed to derail his own campaign using his very own words in the said last few months. To assume that RL speaks for Romney is laughable on its face and at its core.

Got anything better to try and amuse us with?

ManWithNoParty on June 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Yeah, but why edit mine? Mine was harmless.

Bmore on June 14, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Damfino.

Maybe Dr. T & the women had something to do with it. I know how much you love her..:D

Lanceman on June 14, 2012 at 9:47 PM