Pentagon to recognize gay pride month for the first time

posted at 9:42 pm on June 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Whatever you think of repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell,” gestures like this that demonstrate the military’s acceptance of the new law are helpful, no? Now that the legislative battle’s over, top priority is making sure that the policy is implemented with as little disruption to the force as possible. A bit of official recognition for gay pride month normalizes the reality of openly gay troops and signals that the brass doesn’t want them treated with hostility. Soldiers carry out orders with which they disagree to the best of their ability all the time; this is a form of that, or at least that’s how I’m reading it.

Then again, it’s unfair to assume that there’s any deep objection to repealing DADT within the ranks:

In the latest remarkable sign of change since the military repealed the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, the Defense Department will soon hold its first event to recognize gay and lesbian troops. It comes nine months after repeal of the policy that had banned gay troops from serving openly and forced more than 13,500 service members out of the armed forces…

Although some feared repeal of the ban on serving openly would cause problems in the ranks, officials and gay advocacy groups say no big issues have materialized — aside from what advocacy groups criticize as slow implementation of some changes, such as benefit entitlements to troops in same-sex marriages…

Panetta said last month that military leaders had concluded that repeal had not affected morale or readiness. A report to Panetta with assessments from the individual military service branches said that as of May 1 they had seen no ill effects…

[Air Force 1st Lt. Josh Seefried, a finance officer and co-director of OutServe] said acceptance has been broad among straight service members and has put a spotlight on unequal treatment that gays continue to receive in some areas. “We are seeing such tremendous progress in how much the military is accepting us, but not only that — in how much the rank and file is now understanding the inequality that’s existing right now,” he said.

OutServe, a group for gay troops, says its membership has doubled but I don’t know that any broader conclusions can necessarily be drawn from that. It may be that the dynamics are different from unit to unit, with some troops feeling comfortable in coming out due to the attitudes around them and others staying closeted because they’re not so comfortable. I’m interested in hearing from military readers on that. Two questions. First, have you noticed any disruptions from the new policy in your unit? And second, if not, why do you suppose that is? Is it as simple as most troops not caring if someone’s gay or is there more to it? For instance, my hunch is that this might have been a bigger deal for a peacetime military that had more time to focus on its composition. After nearly 11 years in Afghanistan, though, and with new battlefields opening up all the time (soon maybe even in Iran?), there’s simply too much to do to spend much energy on this. But I don’t know; this is why I’m asking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I don’t think*

Punchenko on June 14, 2012 at 11:22 PM

The existence of Hope and Change was not in doubt as recently as 3 years ago. Now look.

faraway on June 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Now, a gay guy is claiming to be an expert on female orgasms.

hahahahaha

This is comment gold. Carry on.

faraway on June 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Yeah, I was hoping someone else caught that

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Gladly, oddmanout

Allen Ginsburg, ‘LGBT rights’ activist. See his wikipedia article. Defender of NAMBLA.

Harry Hay, founder of the ‘Mattachine Society’, ‘first sustained gay rights group in the United States’.

David Thorstad, president of Gay Activists Alliance, co-founder of NAMBLA.

International Lesbian and Gay Association didn’t kick NAMBLA or Martijn (another pedo group) out until 1994. And that was because Jesse Helms was agitating to cut UN money, because the UN had given consultative status to ILGA and ILGA had on its member rolls pedophile groups. Not just individual child molesters, but child molester advocacy groups.

NAMBLA is an organization of MALES predating on young MALES. Same sex. ‘homo’ sexual (lit, ‘same’ sexual).

Just because ‘gay’ activists disavow things like the murder of Jeffrey Curley by two homosexual pedophiles or the rape of young boys by male priests as ‘homosexual’ doesn’t make it so.

avgjo on June 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Wow. This is the proudest I’ve been of military action for a decade.

BTW: Merely mentioning the word gay isn’t “shoving it down your throats” (nevermind the Freudian choice of words). Gay people exist, and the sooner you get over it the happier you’ll be.

inthemiddle on June 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Now, a gay guy is claiming to be an expert on female orgasms.

hahahahaha

This is comment gold. Carry on.

faraway on June 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

ya know, he can’t be much worse than some heteros I’ve known. just sayin’ :-)

Firefly_76 on June 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Pathetic that any group gets a month’s recognition and that’s been my opinion ever since I’ve been in.

But now that it’s done and done nothing good can come out of it but I foresee trouble ahead sooner or later and it won’t come from “white homophobes”.

Seeing how we’ve had Muslim American soldiers murder fellow soldiers for being infidels and nothing was done practically speaking. What happens when the next one unloads on a group celebrating gay pride festival? The liberals will explode their heads trying to reconcile how one favored group could hate another favored group enough to kill them. Especially since their instinct is that only right-wingers whites would do such a thing. Maybe they’ll refer to the suspect as a “white-arab right-wing Muslim “

AH_C on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

ow, a gay guy is claiming to be an expert on female orgasms.

hahahahaha

This is comment gold. Carry on.

faraway on June 14, 2012 at 11:06 PM

*eyerolle* Really? Apparently you have to be a certified muff diver in order to read about the history of scientific research on human sexuality or something.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

theoddmanout on June 14, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Don’t forget the one who compared being gay to stepping in dog poop. Classy.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

OVER HERE ! ! ! I’M BACK ! ! !

Sorry, I had to leave for a bit.
Anyway, I still think it is a perfectly legitimate analogy.

You don’t stigmatize people who avoid stepping in it as being “phobic” about dog poop.

Disgust is not fear. And disgust about the flagrant, “out of the closet”, public practice of homosexuality is no more fear, than you avoiding that dog poop.

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

ya know, he can’t be much worse than some heteros I’ve known. just sayin’ :-)

Firefly_76 on June 14, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Ha! #shade. Well done. But I expect no less from a Whedon fan.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I read a lot about baseball, but I don’t think I could step onto the field and be a .300 hitter.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Of course, psychology and biochemistry are totally equivalent sciences.

Would you like to a borrow a tin foil hat from me?

Looks like you’ll be needing it for the foreseeable future.

CapnObvious on June 14, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Hmm…you bring up a good point. When it comes to discussing whether or not something is a mental disease or not, should I believe:

- Some random conspiracy theorist on the internet who probably has no training or education in the medical or psychological field

Or

- Thousands of people who went to school for 8 years to get their PhD in Psychology and have completed dozens of peer-reviewed scientific studies on the matter of psychology

Hmm…yeah, I’m going to go with the people who actually know what they are talking about. But keep telling yourself that all of those psychologists are lying about homosexuality not being a mental disease. I’m sure if you repeat it enough times, it will become true.

theoddmanout on June 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I’m all done with politics keeping the wedge issue alive. Some of my best friends of the same sex are in love with each other and have kept that love alive for twenty five years. Let’s all try to get through this. How about “Are you better off than you were four years ago?”

psychocyber on June 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Wait for it….I completely agree with you. To paraphrase the great David Sedaris “I fear snakes, I loathe computers, these things are different.” I prefer anti-gay hatred or anti-gay bigotry rather than “homophobia.”

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Or

Jesus…I mean, that IS a hard choice…

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Wow. This is the proudest I’ve been of military action for a decade.

inthemiddle on June 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Funny, the military never needed a reason for me to as proud of them as I could be. Telling that a social issue that has nothing to do with defending the country ordered to be observe by not the military itself but the administration in charge of them makes you “proud”.

I guess the sacrifices they’ve made in war and the Medals of Honor didn’t do much for you.

Pathetic.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Give up… analogies are WAAAAY above their reading comprehension level. Best you’re going to get out of that is some troll thinking you called him poop, and you’ll have to spend the next 5 pages explaining the differences between a simile and a metaphor to a verbally abusive brick wall. We understand what you mean, but the people you need to convince evidently can’t figure it out.

CapnObvious on June 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Go soldiers Go soldiers whoop whoop!!

Is this the payback for all the Hollywood gay cash that Obama has been harvesting lately?

4 1/2 months

4 1/2 months

4 1/2 months

God help our soldiers survive.

PappyD61 on June 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:29 PM

And to continue with your analogy. I’m not claiming I could bring a woman to orgasm (Though actually I probably could, I’ve had enough female friends complain to me about the failures of their men to know how things basically work, also xtube exists). Rather, I am claiming knowledge about the intellectual genealogy of scientific thought on the female orgasm. Which is an entirely different thing than actually engaging in sex with women. And if you think those two things are the same than I truly pity any women you’re sleeping with. In fact, i may *know* some of them.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

You should think for yourself.

Yup, there’s officially no thing as expertise, just believe what you want.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:28 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM

You refuse to separate the person/human being from the behavior.

If someone is anti-homosexuality, you accuse them of hating gay people.

The person and the activity are not the same.

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

If there’s evidence of me claiming more than one profession I’m sure my delightful stalker rogerb has the evidence.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Hey, you’re back. Why do you let so many threads die after you present your data and/or open ended argument? There are three on the front page alone. You’re really bad about that. Support your argument.

Oh, and the above translated: Stop posting my exact words that I myself typed when they contradict other exact words or situations I’ve involved myself in!

(And somehow my Whedon (and Wes Anderson moreso) fan status never gets me any good compliments. Clearly you must hate cripples.)

(See what I did there?)

*****

Hint: It’s just google, and I’m sorry if you don’t have a very good memory. Just because it’s difficult and confusing for you doesn’t mean it’s difficult or confusing. I’ll show you how to use it sometime if you’d like.

Btw, Mac user?

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Muffs are rare nowadays.

faraway on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

In fact, i may *know* some of them.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Doubt it, they haven’t told me about any gay histrionic hyper-liberal friends in academia.

Of course, I now understand why you think Michelle Obama is gorgeous. It’s that whole RuPual complex you guys have.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Forcing people to celebrate behavior that they find repugnant is not American.

Rose on June 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yup, there’s officially no thing as expertise, just believe what you want.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:36 PM

If you want expertise, I assume you’ll be joining Team Romney? He’s got a lot more economic expertise than Barry and Co.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM

This is ridiculous and disgusting.

Soldiers wear a UNIFORM for a reason. They are to be a united, cohesive unit. If they aren’t, good American men and women will die.

DADT was a bad policy because it allowed and potentially encouraged subversion, not because it had anything to do with homosexuality.

You cannot be an “out” soldier. Just as you cannot be a black or a white soldier, or even a male or female soldier. You can only be an American soldier.

Or else people will die.

This administration’s filth must go.

BKennedy on June 14, 2012 at 11:41 PM

So is there still bayonet training, or has it progressed to swordfighting?

John Kettlewell on June 14, 2012 at 11:42 PM

And as soon as one of them confirms your tinfoil hat theory that Psychology is a comparable science to biochemistry, be sure to let us know!

The point, which you refuse to grasp, is that Psychology is not a perfect science. Your defensive interpretation that somehow implies this means all Psychological research ever is a conspiracy… is probably something you should discuss with your therapist.

CapnObvious on June 14, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Which threads are those? At times I’ve made my point and there’s not much else to say (especially since the themes are often recycled). At times the non-digital world calls. And I have often gone *in* on other threads, I don’t know, doesn’t everyone debate a point until they no longer feel like debating it.

You know I want to be mad at you but that was true unfiltered #shade! And like the best shade, hit just close enough to home. And a read before hand? You all are learning.

Oh my Kevin Durant is a beast!

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

HEY . . . . . . I think Michelle Obama looks gorgeous.

But she lacks “beauty”. And beauty is not acquired by proper diet, exercise, and having the best beauticians money can buy.

Beauty is on the inside, and she ain’t got it.

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Eff you, Panetta.

You stupid effing coward and tool.

- Love,
the Military

StubbleSpark on June 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

When will San Francisco have a military pride day?

Ronnie on June 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

ffs

Midas on June 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Forcing people to celebrate behavior that they find repugnant is not American.

Rose on June 14, 2012 at 11:38 PM

America used to be about freedom. Aparently it’s not anymore.

With a hat tip to The People’s Cube, let’s

Take America Forward Back!

ITguy on June 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Next the gays in the military will phase out our National Anthem and replace it with YMCA by the Village People.

RedRobin145 on June 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

ROFLMAO :)…A bunch of gay military singing and dancing on YMCA – I need to expurgate this image out of my head, now :)….

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:49 PM

When will San Francisco have a military pride day?

Ronnie on June 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Now that’s got to be in the running for thread winner. : )

listens2glenn on June 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Identity politics. And some so-called conservatives are praising them for it. Shameful.

CanofSand on June 14, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Which threads are those?

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Yikes. Seriously, though: Mac user?

We’ve clearly got to work on memory first, and then I can show you how to use google. Then you can search for sources on “low turnout in Milwaukee” and the like.

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

When will San Francisco have a mandatory military pride day month?

FIFY ;)

CapnObvious on June 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

When will San Francisco have a military pride day?

Ronnie on June 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Mayor gavin newsom is working on it, as we speak…btw, he’s been named the most social mayor in america, whatever that means….soon he will be the most gay mayor of America :)…

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

When will San Francisco have a military pride day?

Ronnie on June 14, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Good question.

May 2005. SF Bay Area students brought a career fair at San Francisco State University to a standstill over the presence of military recruiters. Congregating at Malcolm X Plaza, they swarmed the booths of the US Army Corps of Engineers and the USAF.

ITguy on June 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Oups, i meant to write the most military gay mayor of America :)…

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM

ITguy on June 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Heh, they will probably allow only those recruiters who recruit gays :)….voila, win-win, the way to turn san franciscans into spporters of our military :)….

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

How about Medal of Honor Month?

How about Silver Star Week?

How about freaking Bronze Star Day?

How about the liberals in charge avoid giving shouts out to cronies while they’re supposed to be giving a speech to ease the suffering in Ft Hood?

Can’t even manage that?

Well, at least they didn’t use the tarmac at Dover for a photo-op with our war dead.

What?

hawkdriver on June 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Wow. This is the proudest I’ve been of military action for a decade.

inthemiddle on June 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Wow. This is one of the most pathetic things I’ve read in quite some time.

Midas on June 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM

English, ************! Do you speak it?!

Oh my Kevin Durant is a beast!

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Token gay guy sports comment!

Durant choked on that last possession. Expected FTs from the contact, but still, should have driven to the hoop instead of taking a leaner. Cost them the game, maybe the series.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 14, 2012 at 11:58 PM

deathtomediahacks

I’d bet the farm on it.

hawkdriver on June 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

One day she’s she, one day she’s he, one day its black, one day its white, one day its straight, one day its gay. Jack of all trades, master at none. But one, Liar.

Bmore on June 15, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Next, trannies in the military.

slickwillie2001 on June 14, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Why not, if they are allowed at beauty pageants (miss universe included) , why not in the military? :)…. Am sure libtardtodeath agrees with me :)….

jimver on June 15, 2012 at 12:05 AM

libfreeordie I will never tell a lie.

Bmore on June 15, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Which threads are those?

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Yikes. Seriously, though: Mac user?

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Facts are confusing to liberals.

Either that, or its like the cryptonite thing with Superman…they can’t exist in the same space.

ccrosby on June 15, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I’m proud of all our military gay or otherwise. That being said, why should the Pentagon single out a group for their sexual preferences?

sandee on June 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Yeah. Pretty much sick of the ghey. Life was less annoying when “coming out” didn’t mean “in your face”.

BKeyser on June 15, 2012 at 12:17 AM

sandee on June 15, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Panetta is bored….

jimver on June 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Panetta is bored….

jimver on June 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No, 0bama needs more of that sweet sweet gay campaign money.

Rebar on June 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Wow. This is the proudest I’ve been of military action for a decade.

inthemiddle on June 14, 2012 at 11:24 PM

The fact that this is what it took for you to finally be proud of our fine folks in the Service speaks volumes about you attitude, given all of those that have made the ultimate sacrifice over the last 10 ears and all. You and Michelle obviously have a lot in common as to what it takes to be, funally “proud of my Country”.

Schmuck.

ManWithNoParty on June 15, 2012 at 12:26 AM

“funally”=finally, you=”your>

Still responding to a schmuck.

ManWithNoParty on June 15, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Interesting day. Rather good day, actually.

* Pentagon’s recognizing the contribution of gay soldiers.
* Texas Republicans reportedly removed anti-gay language from their party plank, and Indiana Republicans completely removed the anti-gay marriage language from their plank.
* And General Mills announced the company is against MN’s gay marriage ban. That’s what – both General Mills and Target taking pro-gay marriage stances in the past month?

ZachV on June 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Just curious, oddmanout. What did you think of the citations, end of page 2?

thanks!

avgjo on June 15, 2012 at 12:47 AM

When is the military going to have gay bath-house day?

Kjeil on June 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM

the fact of the matter is that homos are not satisfied being “accepted,” they need to be fawned over and celebrated for some strange reason. Why does the military need to celebrate gay soldiers? What makes them any more special than other soldiers?

gumbyandpokey on June 15, 2012 at 1:00 AM

There is a gay pride month? Is it a national holiday? I’m waking up like Rip Van Winkle everyday. I can’t keep up.

BoxHead1 on June 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

They came, they saw, they copulated, they came again, smoked a cigarette, and went to bed. Give them a special day. I can’t wait till the military recognizes us lovers of midget porn. When will our contributions be celebrated? Mmmmm… midgets. I’ll be back in 45 seconds. Go ahead and start celebrating me without me.

MechanicalBill on June 15, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Where is the recognition of depressed soldiers or alcoholic soldiers, or drug addict soldiers. Lets recognize every mental malady.

Mormontheman on June 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM

BoxHead1 on June 15, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Blame Bill Clinton. He was the first to declare a gay pride month in 2000.

Otherwise, gay pride events have been held in June since the 70s. Most of the larger cities (Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta, Milwaukee, Miami) are on or around their 40th anniversaries.

ZachV on June 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM

ZachV on June 15, 2012 at 1:18 AM

All sorts of people have been having parades in Ny,La and chicago for more then 40 short years. Why didn’t did every one else have to care? .

BoxHead1 on June 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Panetta is bored….

jimver on June 15, 2012 at 12:18 AM

No, 0bama needs more of that sweet sweet gay campaign money.

Rebar on June 15, 2012 at 12:21 AM

But those were giving to The Whine anyways, military gay pride day or not….. Or is it month…whatev :)… .

jimver on June 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Why didn’t did every one else have to care? .

BoxHead1 on June 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Were we regressive and thick headed back in the 80s(90s?) when you didn’t have to celebrate someone else’s favorite sex parts?

BoxHead1 on June 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM

So, when is Regular Pride Month so us regular folks don’t feel left out of all the good times? Seems like illegal discrimination if you have to be different than the norm to get recognized. Just saying…

drfredc on June 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM

There’s a holiday for everything. It’s just as pointless as black history month or women’s history month. I don’t need a special, government sanctioned month to tell me it’s ok to be comfortable with who I am.

Cyhort on June 15, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Now that the legislative battle’s over…

The most clueless thing I’ve ever read at Hot Air. Imagine saying that about abortion. Just because homosexuality is revered by Obama and the libs.. doesn’t mean the issue is dead.

DaMav on June 15, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Interesting day. Rather good day, actually.

* Pentagon’s recognizing the contribution of gay soldiers.

ZachV on June 15, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Besides Obama..this is another bad day for America.

b1jetmech on June 15, 2012 at 2:00 AM

This is going to give them SERIOUS recruitment problems.

bigmike on June 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM

Liberal doucheebaggery. All of it. Forced acceptance of gays, experimenting with our force composition and forced compliance in the middle of wars, social experimentation in our military. Political connivance to foist this nonsense where it doesn’t belong. The tyranny of the minority of the whole matter. And supposed bloggers of the right selling it like sweet syrup. All of it disgusting.

rayra on June 15, 2012 at 4:54 AM

This is going to give them SERIOUS recruitment problems.

bigmike on June 15, 2012 at 3:23 AM

That’s the point. The deliberate deconstruction of our professional volunteer military force, the best on the planet. Leftists are undermining it every way they can. Readiness, budget, attacking the next generation combat systems, attacking their pay and benefits, repeatedly publishing news stories pretending they’re more disturbed or suicidal than the general population. Criminalizing their acts on the battlefield, via a JAG corps indoctrinated in leftist law schools. Making rapid and simultaneous forced changes in the culture to drive down re-enlistment and front-end enlistment, while repeatedly suggesting a national draft to utterly destroy the quality of the force AND to force yet another broad swath of american youth into the left’s indoctrination camps. Academia, media, music, and now our military.

While northeastern queer pundits cheer it on with begs-the-question BS.

rayra on June 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM

Pathetic.

hawkdriver on June 14, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Exactly! Plus sexuality has always been discouraged in the ranks…Now all of the sudden to appease a minority group we are encouraging sexuality. This is going to be wonderful.. Good luck later on trying to prosecute things like fraternization when minority homosexuals claim “homophobia” or persecution- you can bet it is coming down the pike…

melle1228 on June 15, 2012 at 6:19 AM

rayra on June 15, 2012 at 4:54 AM

It is funny what is happening.. It very quickly went from outlawing it in the military to tolerance to acceptance to outright celebration.. when will it be mandatory participation?

melle1228 on June 15, 2012 at 6:35 AM

The term ‘gay pride’ is revolting. How can any man be proud of taking another man’s genitals into his mouth or anus? Homosexuality is a mental disorder.

garnkikaloid on June 14, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Being gay is nothing to be proud of. That’s why they want a gay pride month or a gay pride parade.

It’s to counteract the shame that generally comes with homosexual acts.

tom on June 15, 2012 at 6:47 AM

We had gays in our very small headquarters battery in 1973. They had the sense and decency to stay in the closet and we left them in peace because they were good guys and did not create disruptions to discipline or military order. Just how the hell is this better?

swinia sutki on June 15, 2012 at 6:48 AM

So when do heterosexual servicemembers get their month and recognition? Seriously if one’s sexual orientation is to be lauded by the DoD then straight servicemembers are being discriminated against since the DoD only recoginizes the gays.

This is why I think all these things are worthless be it women, Asian-Pacific Americans, Hispanics, blacks, the gays….. By holding up one group you automatically discriminate against others.

Happy Nomad on June 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM

Evidently, some of y’all close your eyes and the Gay Pride Parade passes you by.

God preserve the Union.

kingsjester on June 15, 2012 at 7:09 AM

I can claim there is a broad scientific consensus supporting the idea that sexual orientation is not chosen. Until proven otherwise that is the current scientific consensus. ALL scientific laws/theories are up for revision, which is what is wonderful about science. But just because scientific knowledge CAN change does not mean that its going to or that there’s any reason to doubt the current consensus.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

You can certainly claim it. But there is no such scientific consensus.

That is all based on studies showing some differences between the brains of homosexuals and normal people. But even those doing the research could not say whether the differences observed were the cause of the homosexual behavior or the result.

The rest — including the conclusion that you were born that way rather than learned that behavior — is all speculation.

tom on June 15, 2012 at 7:31 AM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:13 PM

If that’s the case then pedophilia, beastiality, necrophilia and sexual sadism aren’t chosen either. YOu want to celebrate those perversions too?

tommyboy on June 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Pentagon to recognize gay pride month for the first time

No wonder Iran, No. Korea. China and Russia don’t take us seriously!

MaiDee on June 15, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Meanwhile, Rome is still burning…

MNHawk on June 15, 2012 at 8:16 AM

What a shame. Being an Army Vet I never thought I’d see the day.

First coed basic training and now this….

Something has been lost and it may takes years to realize it.

R Square on June 15, 2012 at 8:23 AM

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 11:52 PM

He is not the mayor. Hasn’t been for some time.

lexhamfox on June 15, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Wait til they try to order the spec ops guys to wear pink underwear. I thought this was the military and everyone was supposed to look the same, wear the same uniforms, salute the same, shoot the same except under Oblamo, they now get to celebrate their difference.

Kissmygrits on June 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Again . . . why?

Voter from WA State on June 15, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Because “Truth has fallen in the public square and uprightness cannot enter.
Truth has fallen, and he who departs from evil makes himself a prey” Isaiah 59: 14-15

To quote George Will, “The systematic hunting down of all settled convictions” continues apace. Russia ramps up and makes common cause with rogue states, China increases its military expenditures with an army of expendable males and buys up natural resources around the world, while Islam continues its march towards demographic majority while we focus on non-essentials like gay pride day in the military and Europe dissolves in a mess of economic confusion and suicide.

And goofballs like lib, et al celebrate the consumption of the moral capital that once provided the freedom they now enjoy.

Cleombrotus on June 15, 2012 at 9:22 AM