Pentagon to recognize gay pride month for the first time

posted at 9:42 pm on June 14, 2012 by Allahpundit

Whatever you think of repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell,” gestures like this that demonstrate the military’s acceptance of the new law are helpful, no? Now that the legislative battle’s over, top priority is making sure that the policy is implemented with as little disruption to the force as possible. A bit of official recognition for gay pride month normalizes the reality of openly gay troops and signals that the brass doesn’t want them treated with hostility. Soldiers carry out orders with which they disagree to the best of their ability all the time; this is a form of that, or at least that’s how I’m reading it.

Then again, it’s unfair to assume that there’s any deep objection to repealing DADT within the ranks:

In the latest remarkable sign of change since the military repealed the “don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, the Defense Department will soon hold its first event to recognize gay and lesbian troops. It comes nine months after repeal of the policy that had banned gay troops from serving openly and forced more than 13,500 service members out of the armed forces…

Although some feared repeal of the ban on serving openly would cause problems in the ranks, officials and gay advocacy groups say no big issues have materialized — aside from what advocacy groups criticize as slow implementation of some changes, such as benefit entitlements to troops in same-sex marriages…

Panetta said last month that military leaders had concluded that repeal had not affected morale or readiness. A report to Panetta with assessments from the individual military service branches said that as of May 1 they had seen no ill effects…

[Air Force 1st Lt. Josh Seefried, a finance officer and co-director of OutServe] said acceptance has been broad among straight service members and has put a spotlight on unequal treatment that gays continue to receive in some areas. “We are seeing such tremendous progress in how much the military is accepting us, but not only that — in how much the rank and file is now understanding the inequality that’s existing right now,” he said.

OutServe, a group for gay troops, says its membership has doubled but I don’t know that any broader conclusions can necessarily be drawn from that. It may be that the dynamics are different from unit to unit, with some troops feeling comfortable in coming out due to the attitudes around them and others staying closeted because they’re not so comfortable. I’m interested in hearing from military readers on that. Two questions. First, have you noticed any disruptions from the new policy in your unit? And second, if not, why do you suppose that is? Is it as simple as most troops not caring if someone’s gay or is there more to it? For instance, my hunch is that this might have been a bigger deal for a peacetime military that had more time to focus on its composition. After nearly 11 years in Afghanistan, though, and with new battlefields opening up all the time (soon maybe even in Iran?), there’s simply too much to do to spend much energy on this. But I don’t know; this is why I’m asking.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Why do you let so many threads die after you present your data and/or open ended argument?

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Which threads are those?

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

rogerb on June 15, 2012 at 9:24 AM

If there’s evidence of me claiming more than one profession I’m sure my delightful stalker rogerb has the evidence. But that evidence doesn’t exist.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I say that as someone who *gives* lectures for a living.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I craft prose for a living.

libfreeordie on April 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

So funny. It’s simple googling. Again, I’m almost positive you’re a Mac user, but I still think I can show you how if you want to keep your stories straight

Keep it intellectually consistent.

libfreeordie on June 6, 2012 at 11:30 AM

rogerb on June 15, 2012 at 9:28 AM

Now we know why that Democrat hack had to go over to Defense. To celebrate queers and to make the Army admit women to Ranger School. Critical jobs that Gates couldn’t (or more likely, wouldn’t) do. Next up, the medal for heroic restraint in not firing at insurgent homicide bombers (always awarded posthumously).

Longhorn Six on June 15, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Being part of the military means you give up your personal identity for that of the team. Unit cohesion and meeting military goals demands it. Our history shows it is a successful guiding principle.

Celebrating individual differences as part of some politically correct, feel-good, look-at-me exercise is destructive and diminishes the military team structure and warrior ethos. It’s not about highlighting our differences whether it is culture, religion

The Pentagon will rue the day they let personal predilections and political themes overtake the common sense, military focused approach which made us the finest force on the planet.

Marcus Traianus on June 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Must. Stop. Gnashing. Teeth.

pseudonominus on June 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM

You have got to be freaking kidding me.

ConservativeLA on June 15, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Huh, Panetta, feh. What a dolt.

jake49 on June 15, 2012 at 11:20 AM

FUTURE PINK PENTAGON RELEASE:

Iran’s military had better quit developing nuclear weapons…or we’ll slap you silly!

/sarc>

landlines on June 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

…there’s simply too much to do to spend much energy on this.
POSTED AT 9:42 PM ON JUNE 14, 2012 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

Agreed.
So maybe stop putting up posts like this.
Sends some into bizarre obsessions and quips about the mechanics of gay sex, or the threads devolve into b.s. scripture readings by the religioz.
Just not a big deal to most folks.

verbaluce on June 15, 2012 at 11:47 AM

The point of gay pride? The same “point” of Mardi Gras or St. Patrick’s Day or Halloween. Its an excuse to dress up, act a fool get drunk (or high) and party. You don’t *have* to go, just like you don’t *have* to go to a St. Patrick’s day parade. Acting as if its very existence is an affront to you is, uber ironically, so drama queen I can’t even tell you.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You don’t know much about the military, do you, princess?

Participation in parades is NOT voluntary in the military. If there is a homosexual ‘pride’ parade, everyone will participate. (It’s kinda like the way an entire auditorium is filled with soldiers to listen to lil barry d’ohbama – when he can’t even fill a community college gymnasium on his own draw.)
If homosexuals want to have their “special” little parties to celebrate their ‘pride’ – let them do it off-post and out of duty hours, so that those who don’t want to participate aren’t forced to.

Solaratov on June 15, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I remember back in the early 60s when I was in the Navy, I was proud to represent the U.S.A. Last week I was in Home Depot and I was wearing my Navy ballcap and someone came up to thank me for serving. My comment to him was that when I was serving, America was a different place…different values, different goals. I then told him if America was then what America is now, I would have never served. Now paying homage to a bunch of mental defectives just validates my observations of the decadence of America.

Morality and integrity down the chitter.

timberline on June 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Don’t forget the one who compared being gay to stepping in dog poop. Classy.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Well, given your preferred portal of entry…the analogy seems apt.

Solaratov on June 15, 2012 at 12:11 PM

A wedding
A baby shower
An engagement party
A strip club
A hooters
You’ve also never seen a hip hop or rock music video, been to a sporting event with female dancers, seen a tv commercial that uses sex to sell a product or watched a movie where a heterosexual romance was a major plot point.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM

And, which one of these events is associated with “Heterosexual Pride Month”?
You people have your own strip clubs, your owns ‘sexy servers’ in bars, your own videos. There are movies where the main theme is about homosexuality.

Solaratov on June 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

…I then told him if America was then what America is now, I would have never served…..

Morality and integrity down the chitter.

timberline on June 15, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Indeed.
The (very sad) irony…

verbaluce on June 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM

That case is old as sin and it is the ONLY one you all have. Oh and that church in New Jersey who tried to violate the establishment clause.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:12 PM

WTF are you talking about? The decision was issued May 31, 2012.

Firefly_76 on June 14, 2012 at 11:15 PM

There was an earlier case, about a year or so ago.
Evidently the little princess doesn’t stay current.

Solaratov on June 15, 2012 at 12:29 PM

As a senior citizen with plenty of whiskers and wrinkles my thoughts go back to my Grandparents and folks of their generation and never would they believe what’s happening in our nation today. In fact I can’t believe it.

Herb on June 15, 2012 at 12:31 PM

what does mittens have to say about this (I really don’t care but . . . )?

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Pragmatic on June 15, 2012 at 1:50 PM

will mittens reinstate ‘don’t ask don’t tell’? ….or will be the wimp that is obama….my guess is that he will be the wimp that is obama.
but of course mittens will more likely remain silent on the subject, thinking that by doing so he will get elected…

NOMITTNOBAMA 2012!

Pragmatic on June 15, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I do remember the sexual assaults report for FY 2009 from Navy contained info that showed the incidence of homosexuals committing sexual assault to be 3 times greater than heterosexuals.

I imagine now that they feel ‘empowered’, this number will go up. Of course, our dishonest ‘media’ will overlook this little factola.

avgjo on June 15, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Other case descriptions from the Department of Defense included:

•“Male victim alleged that male subjects groped him through clothing and attempted sodomy with a broom handle.”
•“Male victim alleged that male subject performed oral sodomy on him in bar bathroom while he was passing in and out of consciousness from drinking.
•“Male victim alleged that the male subject, National Guard soldier, took out his penis, and straddled his thigh in the motor poll while in Iraq.”

quikstrike98 on June 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Sack Races?

tomas on June 15, 2012 at 5:26 PM

And, you people are allowed to appear naked in public and engage in sex acts in public during your, so-called, “pride” events. Heterosexuals, however, seem to be able to have a parade without sex acts on the floats. – Solaratov on June 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM

You have been brainwashed to the degree where you need some remedial education. Those gay events you are speaking of such as the notorious Folsom Street event several years back were attended by both heterosexuals and homosexuals of San Francisco, which is a totally different world ………….. and, I deplore anybody gay or straight behaving in such a way. Here in South Carolina the people who attend the gay pride events behave respectful manner and you would never know that the people were anything more than your “normal” next door neighbor.

SC.Charlie on June 16, 2012 at 9:49 AM