Adelson: I may kick in $100 million for Romney

posted at 2:41 pm on June 14, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Technically, pledging up to $100 million isn’t quite the same thing as “limitless,” but functionally it has to approach it, unless we’re talking about Barack Obama’s budget deficits.  Forbes interviewed Las Vegas casino mogul Sheldon Adelson and discovered that the conservative activist has not just gotten over his disappointment over Newt Gingrich’s loss in the primaries, he’s ready to pony up for the man who beat his favored candidate:

Forbes has confirmed that billionaire Sheldon Adelson, along with his wife Miriam, has donated $10 million to the leading Super PAC supporting presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney–and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. A well-placed source in the Adelson camp with direct knowledge of the casino billionaire’s thinking says that further donations will be “limitless.”

Adelson, who has built Las Vegas Sands into an global casino empire, will do “whatever it takes” to defeat Obama, this source says. And given that Adelson is worth $24.9  billion–and told Forbes in a recent rare interview about his political giving that he had been willing to donate as much as $100 million to his initial presidential preference, Newt Gingrich–that “limitless” description telegraphs potential nine-digit support of Romney.

Adelson vehemently opposes Obama’s policy on Israel, one of the issues closest to his heart, but he also has openly spoken of his anger over Obama’s “socialization” of the US, which Forbes also notes.  Adelson is no stranger to putting his words into action, either, and not just in the context of political fights.  His resort complex, the Venetian/Palazzo, is the only non-union shop on the Vegas Strip.  He will host his second Right Online conference starting tomorrow, where I will be speaking with Scott Rasmussen on polling and analysis for the next generation of bloggers and activists. (Note: My expenses are being paid by the conference, not the resort, as is normal for featured speakers.)

Adelson will push his contributions through super-PACs, which have become a flash point in this cycle for campaign-finance activists.  Forbes asked Adelson whether billionaires like himself should be able to influence elections to this degree, but Adelson replied by noting that billionaires did it all the time — just with less transparency:

Does Adelson feel guilty about one American potentially steering the fate of the presidential election? “I’m against very wealthy people attempting to or influencing elections,” Adelson told me in February. “But as long as it’s doable I’m going to do it. Because I know that guys like Soros have been doing it for years, if not decades. And they stay below the radar by creating a network of corporations to funnel their money. I have my own philosophy and I’m not ashamed of it.”

Touchè.  A $100 million windfall will have a large impact on outside-group media buys and organizational efforts, to be sure, although it doesn’t affect Team Romney’s direct fundraising.  It’s the kind of activity that frightens Team Obama most, especially since traditional Democratic billionaires like Soros and Peter Lewis seem less inclined to do the same thing this time around.  And let’s not forget that Barack Obama was the first major-party Presidential candidate since Watergate to refuse to participate in the public financing of his campaign and the spending limits that go with it.  To a very large extent, Obama made his own bed, and Adelson will be happy to see him lying in it.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh oh!

KOOLAID2 on June 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on June 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Do it, rich old man.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

(:-)

KOOLAID2 on June 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Kellifan, take some Midol.
I like it kool aid..

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Yay!! :-)))))

The Count on June 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Here is another reason why the Venetian is such a great resort. I am glad that I was unknowingly supporting A) a conservative and B) the only non-union casino. Learned something new today.

search4truth on June 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

The difference here is that Adelson, unlike Soros, is up front about it.

Tater Salad on June 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

There go the wingnuts trying to buy the election!! /

changer1701 on June 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

He’s the third Koch brother! /s

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

“To a very large extent, Obama made his own bed, and Adelson will be happy to see him lying in it.”

Don’t you just love the “Law of Unintended Consequences”…?

… Hey Obowma/Democrats/Media/Hollywood/Soros!

Suck On It…!!!

Seven Percent Solution on June 14, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Yes! Yes!

Force them a loss by playing by their own rules! I look forward to a grand drubbing this year!

Chaz706 on June 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Whoa! Whoops, I mean DEMOCRACY IS DEAD!!!

Keyser-Soze on June 14, 2012 at 2:51 PM

The sad truth is that 100 million is still well below the market value that liberals get for free in the biased media. You can buy up lots of advert spots but when the main programming content is in full support of liberals it’s still an uphill battle.

gwelf on June 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM

And let’s not forget that Barack Obama was the first major-party Presidential candidate since Watergate to refuse to participate in the public financing of his campaign and the spending limits that go with it. To a very large extent, Obama made his own bed

And this needs to be hammered home every single time we hear about money influencing elections.

ButterflyDragon on June 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM

…I come and go…was gone for a while…hit refresh…and there’s a new thread!…happens all the time…what am I spossed to do…count to a thousand or something? It is what it is….so I go for… fun!

KOOLAID2 on June 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Tomorrow, he’s going to have a drone with his name on it.

RBMN on June 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Adelson, who has built Las Vegas Sands into an global casino empire, will do “whatever it takes” to defeat Obama

Do it! For the sake of the country’s future, do it!

AZCoyote on June 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Glad that I support the Venetian..it was already my favorite casino…never knew that it was the only nonunion shop! And I like this Adelson guy. Learned something new today.

search4truth on June 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I’m not going to lie. I envy him for having that much money to blow on politics. However, unlike the Left, I don’t want to punish him for it. All I want is a chance to make that much money for myself. As of this moment, Washington D.C. has taken that chance away from me.

Just give them hell.

joekenha on June 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on June 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Some people just need to pull the stick out, Kool Aid.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Well, I know where I am staying the next time we go to Vegas.

bitsy on June 14, 2012 at 2:54 PM

He owns the Venetian? My favorite restaurant in Vegas! I recommend the Cajun Rib Eye.

Thank you Sheldon Adelson.

DanMan on June 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Cheapskate

verbaluce on June 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Adelson’s wife is an Israeli and an MD. I wish they would adopt me.

Blake on June 14, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Wisconsin crying boy hardest hit.

scrubjay on June 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM

He’s the third Koch brother! /s

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

They should sell Koch bro team wear.

the_nile on June 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Refreshing, especially given Soros’s latest covert attempt to enact gun bans nationwide through locally based Soros funded community organizations…

Soros can’t come out of Bark’s closet. He’d be roundly dismissed.

CorporatePiggy on June 14, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Remember the “democracy is dead” guy?

Well he called up a conservative radio station in Wisconsin to defend himself. The link is a must-watch compilation, sorry, If it’s been seen here already I have not noticed it.

It’s relevant though, the left truly believes that money is everything in politics. This is why they freaked out in WI so hard for so long. This type of story will keep them up at night. They see the gravy train about to be derailed. It’s even more delicious that it’s their own damn fault.

Mord on June 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Wow.

John the Libertarian on June 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Thank you Mr and Mrs Adelson for your support for Mitt with funds! Thank you also for being a supporter of Israel. One wonders how many other high rollers will follow suit with the Adelson’s?

bho made his filthy bed, now get fleas in your bed bho!
L

letget on June 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

You are my hero, mr adelson!!!

jimver on June 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM

I wish he would have spent that $100 million on getting Harry Reid out of office.

LoganSix on June 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Has Christmas come in June? I have been LOVING all this bad news for team Oblammo that has been coming out in the past two weeks. We’ve had to put up with bad news coming from team Oblammo since 09. Thank you Mr Adelson, this conservative salutes you.

neyney on June 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Time for more “loans” to bankrupt green energy companies!

rbj on June 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Time for MSM to vet Adelson.

Pokemaster Obama: MEDIA MATTERS, NEW YORK TIMES, I CHOOSE YOU!

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Adelson: I may kick in $100 million for Romney

…chump change compared to OBOZO’s sugar daddies like soros, the hollywood degenerates, all socialist media execs, Wall Street, most 1%-ers, etc….

TeaPartyNation on June 14, 2012 at 3:11 PM

BOO!

Mord on June 14, 2012 at 3:12 PM

“DEMOCRACY IS OVER. IT HAS BEEN BOUGHT BY THE 1%”

-Liberal crybabies

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I love you, Shelly!!!

cynccook on June 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

You wouldn’t claim to be troubled at the news that Obama was supposedly going to raise a billion dollars when you first heard that speculation would you? The guy should be able to run on his impeccable record alone, no money needed, right?

Mord on June 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

That was you crying on that CNN interview after your party got stomped in WI, wasn’t it? Did your mommy dry your tears and make you a hot pocket after the bad man stole your democracy?

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Another kick to Obama’s fellas. More good news.

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

There go the wingnuts trying to buy the election!! /

changer1701 on June 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

+1 Good thing them Lefties never do it.

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

He’s the third Koch brother! /s

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:48 PM

+1 Good thing them Lefties never do it.

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM

The good guys might be getting an extra 100 million bucks AND it’s going to send the left into a tizzy? I’m not sure which one of those prospects I like more.

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“I have my own philosophy and I’m not ashamed of it.”

Wow. Glad this guys on our team and he’s proud of it. I too have learned a lot here, not the least of which is where I’ll be staying next time I’m in Vegas.

Buttercup on June 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Yep. We’re gleeful that there are some rich guys on our side to counteract the Soros and the Spielbergs and
all the Hollywood lowlifes. You bet we are.

cynccook on June 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Vladimir Putin is a multi-billionaire with resources to put Mr. Adelson’s wealth to shame. So are Hu Jintao and Saudi sheikhs. I am sure neither will forget to shower Ogabe generously with donations. Just wait for September, when the court won’t have time to interfere.

Archivarix on June 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

I hope he paid for this bus. If so, he got his money’s worth!

Sekhmet on June 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Wisconsin crying boy hardest hit.

scrubjay on June 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I think that’s on everyone commenter’s mind.

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM

LoganSix on June 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Don’t worry too much about that:

Generic Congressional Ballot: Republicans 45%, Democrats 39%

cynccook on June 14, 2012 at 3:19 PM

There go the wingnuts trying to buy the election!! /

changer1701 on June 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

+1 Good thing them Lefties never do it.

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:15 PM

It’s the same logic that goes for sport cars in the ‘hoods: why buy when you can steal.

Archivarix on June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Were “squeeing” in November 2008????

NJ Red on June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

No more so now than it ever has been, your boy Soro’s is the posterchild for influencing politics with billions, you hypocritical sack….

Tim Zank on June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Non Union shop… I stay there every time I hit Vegas, the sheets aren’t stained with that oily, greasy union slime. It’s nice to know my gambling losses are going to a good cause.

2Tru2Tru on June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Boy, Barry’s REALLY going to have it in for Vegas now.

Besides, Michelle likes Monte Carlo MUCH better.

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Carve this quote this in stone.

Fark U Soros.

rickyricardo on June 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Now that’s a surprise–and a most pleasant one, at that.

Mr. Prodigy on June 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well that answers that question. Apparently I like the taste of lefty tears more than I like Mitt having the cash.

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

It’s easy to see billionaire George Soros’s imprint on most major American left-wing organizations. All you have to do is look at their financial forms. Soros aids hundreds of left-wing groups in America each year under the auspices of his Open Society Foundations. In just 10 years, Soros has given more than $550 million to liberal organizations in the United States.
That’s just the beginning. That total represents about 27 percent of the $2 billion given out by the American branches of his Open Society Foundations from 2000 to 2009. (2010 forms are unavailable and Open Society staff uncooperative.) Overall, he has given more than $8 billion to those foundations since they first started in 1993, as an outgrowth of his “open society” charity efforts dating back to 1979. His foundations credit him as having given that money “to support human rights, freedom of expression, and access to public health and education in 70 countries.”

According to The New York Times, the foundation claims “it is on track to give away about $860 million” this year. If things stay true to form for Soros, much of that money will head toward liberal groups in the United States. How that money is allocated takes on a new dimension as Soros just named criminal justice expert Christopher Stone the foundations’ next president, starting in July.

\

cynccook on June 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Thank you Mr. Adelson. You are a true American patriot and a true friend to Israel.

ObamatheMessiah on June 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Fortunately, you get to have both!

cynccook on June 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Remember the “democracy is dead” guy?

It’s relevant though, the left truly believes that money for Conservatives is everything in politics. This is why they freaked out in WI so hard for so long. This type of story will keep them up at night. They see the gravy train about to be derailed. It’s even more delicious that it’s their own damn fault.

Mord on June 14, 2012 at 3:03 PM

FIFY. They are fine with money if it supports their side.

PastorJon on June 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I sense an EPA close down of the Sands coming…..

Don L on June 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Barry will be passing the hat at Sarah Jessica Parkers house tonight before heading to two other fundraisers by elite millionaires. I’m sure you’re ok wit dat.

Buttercup on June 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Oh please, if Soros was going to kick in $100 mil to Barry’s campaign you’d be squeeing all over yourself.

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Barry will be passing the hat at Sarah Jessica Parkers house tonight

Are they all putting on the feedbag there and dancin’ ’til the cows come home?

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Archivarix on June 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Hehe… yeah, let them do it! It would be the unions blowing cash in Wisconsin but on a global scale! But you may be right, if Ogambe is lowlife enough to disable security for credit card donations, why not accept hundreds of millions of overseas cash? I still think it would blow-up in his face come November.

I can’t wait to see the fallout on that one!

Turtle317 on June 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM

FIFY. They are fine with money if it supports their side.

PastorJon on June 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Yup! They all speculated with awe that Obama could be running the first “billion dollar campaign”. Money in politics doesn’t mean much when the contest isn’t even close. Obama has spent 5 trillion, and is about to get kicked to the curb in November.

Mord on June 14, 2012 at 3:29 PM

gwelf on June 14, 2012 at 2:52 PM

That’s for sure. The MSM is like a $10billion media machine for The One.

$100M is a big number for a single donor – but I recall unions in CA spent about that much to defeat the slate of conservative initiatives put up by Schwartzenwhimpy, which caused him to put his tail between his legs and get with the leftist agenda. This kind of money gets thrown around for libs all the time, just as Adelson said in the quote.

peski on June 14, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Do it, rich old man.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 14, 2012 at 2:44 PM

This, and ever so much more. :)

Bob's Kid on June 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Are they all putting on the feedbag there and dancin’ ’til the cows come home?

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Not to split hairs but if Sarah Jessica Parker is there then the cows are already home.

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Make the $100MM offer to Barry instead Give him an offer he can’t refuse drop out of the race and get $100MM or the $100MM goes to Romney and Barry suffers an ignominious defeat.

oznerola on June 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Democracy is DEAD! :-(

/The Wisconsin Whiner

Punchenko on June 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

2011: Obama gears up for $1 billion campaign, libfreeordie squeals in delight.

2012: Romney looks to be outpacing Obama in funding, libfreeordie squeals like a stuck pig.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM

search4truth on June 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

That is the only place my family stays. Last time I was there I was talking to some of the employees, they couldn’t say enough nice things about him and the way they are treated.

gophergirl on June 14, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Not to split hairs but if Sarah Jessica Parker is there then the cows horses are already home.

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Fixed.

Daemonocracy on June 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Libs will suddenly find this morally objectionable because it is being done by the Right. If their side was doing it – no problem. So quit your whining.

katiejane on June 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Democracy is for sale?

Really?

So if somebody pays a whole bunch of money to get his views out there, which the liberal media, if you’re being intellectually honest (stretch, I know), will vet and fact check, then democracy is sold? Which means gone?

Democracy is not being bought or sold here. A man is exercising his right to free speech by buying air time.

And as numerous other people and the blog post mention, the left has their big spenders too. Soros owns Media Matters and MoveOn. He is wanted as a criminal in three countries for what he did to their economies. He’s an avowed socialist, an economic philosophy that ALWAYS ends one of three ways: 1) a return to capitalism before it’s too late (see Sweden) 2) economic collapse or 3) the end of democracy and the opening of re-education camps.

I have no problem with Soros and the Hollywood elite pouring millions into campaigns. I have no problem with AT&T pouring millions in liberal campaigns. I just have a problem with not seeing liberals up in arms about that money.

Oh, that’s right, yours is a morally superior position, so giving money to your side is moral, giving money to our side is like killing puppies or eating children or something.

PastorJon on June 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Give him an offer he can’t refuse

Redo the Godfather scene where Jack Woltz find’s Sarah Jessica Parker’s head between the sheets?

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Archivarix on June 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Not sure I follow. Are you saying giving a donation for a campaign is buying or stealing? The analogy doesn’t seem to work.

shick on June 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Anyone going to Vegas should patronize his casino.

Wigglesworth on June 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

katiejane on June 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Additionally, I might add, these are funds that are voluntarily given to the candidate in question… not like union thugs extorted it from your hard-earned paycheck to give it to a candidate you don’t support.

Turtle317 on June 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

The only reason that democracy can even be for sale is because so much of the economy and the less-than-free market is controlled by government. You want to limit the influence of money in a democracy, make it so government has less control of money. Because the influence it buys is just a by-product of how much money the government controls. And that goes for both sides of the isle.

oddjob1138 on June 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

oddjob1138 on June 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Libs: Laws won’t stop people from doing tasty drugs, so legalize them!

Libs: Laws can stop people from being attracted to the trillions in the US treasury, pass them!

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

oddjob1138 on June 14, 2012 at 3:37 PM

To support your claim, please see the Affordable Healthcare Act which allows the feral government to effectively seize direct control of 16% of the U.S. economy.

Turtle317 on June 14, 2012 at 3:42 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

of course it is useless to talk to a troll…but Horowitz’s book looks way depressing. The left has shaped this country beyond all recognition…we know that…and David shows the shadow government behind it…i’ve just read a little about it

r keller on June 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

You mean that wasn’t her head they found between the sheets in the original? I always thought that was how she got her big break in acting. Wow, I stand corrected.

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

alchemist19 on June 14, 2012 at 3:45 PM

She got her start as Mr. Ed’s kid sister.

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Adelson may donate $100 million and I may total $100 dollars!

Between the two of us we just may put Romney over the top!!

LevinFan on June 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM

1. 0bama will not have a 3 to 1 campaign fund advantage this time.

2. 0bama will not have a blank slate; his record of failure is up front for all to see.

3. 0bama will not have Bush to run against…oh scratch that.

jukin3 on June 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Liberals hate speech. Getting your viewpoint out there is not stealing anything.

gwelf on June 14, 2012 at 3:51 PM

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Barack Hussein Kardashian hardest hit.

VibrioCocci on June 14, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Jeez — and here I was so proud of my $2500 donation to the Romney 2012 campaign. lawl

FlatFoot on June 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

FlatFoot on June 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

That is something to be proud of, thanks!

Wish I was able to do that as well.

NoDonkey on June 14, 2012 at 3:57 PM

search4truth on June 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

I didn’t know it either, but I love that casino and I will be very happy staying there in the future.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Well I’m sure Soros will be crying all the way to the bank if he hears that.

Eren on June 14, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Next time in Vegas,

I know whose business to patronize

huntingmoose on June 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM

FlatFoot on June 14, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Much appreciated and you should certainly still be proud. That’s some serious coin in my mind. I sent him $250 (so far)and I’m proud.
This is no time to get complacent every penny counts and we have a hard fight ahead of us. Of course thanks to Adelson the war chest just got a lot fuller.

Buttercup on June 14, 2012 at 4:09 PM