Quotes of the day

posted at 10:30 pm on June 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

Senator John Cornyn of Texas tells National Review Online that the Obama administration’s refusal to appoint an independent prosecutor to investigate a series of intelligence leaks to the New York Times is a “cover up.”

“It’s all politics, all the time, at the Department of Justice,” Cornyn says. “Now that they’re in cover-up mode, they’re hiring Obama-campaign volunteers to look into the leaks.”…

On Tuesday, a few hours after calling on Holder to resign, Cornyn, along with Senator John McCain of Arizona, attempted to introduce legislation that calls for an outside counsel to investigate the leaks. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, a Democrat, promptly blocked the resolution.

***

And, here’s the big story:

“Machen, who lives in Silver Spring, is expected to move to the District while he holds down the job.

“Over the years, he has donated $4,350 to Obama’s campaigns. He gave $250 to Obama’s U.S. Senate campaign in 2003, a year before Obama, then an Illinois state senator, emerged on the nation’s political radar, according to campaign finance records.”

So Holder appointed a man who has his current job because Obama appointed him to it and has over the years given thousands to Obama’s campaigns. And we’re supposed to take this investigation seriously?

Has there ever been a more blatant conflict of interest?

***

As I pointed out in the same column, all administrations do this sort of thing. After al Qaeda’s 1998 bombings of the U.S. embassies in Kenya and Tanzania, for example, President Clinton came under blistering criticism for authorizing a retaliatory strike against what was reported to be a mere pharmaceutical factory in Sudan. Richard Clarke, Clinton’s top counterterrorism aide, was duly dispatched to inform the press that the U.S. intelligence community was certain the factory was being used by Saddam Hussein’s regime, al Qaeda and the Sudanese Islamist government for a joint venture in nerve gas production.

Like Libby’s disclosure, Clarke’s was in the national interest because it corrected damaging misinformation that could have discredited appropriate actions taken in American national defense. By contrast, the Obama leaks are fueling what are basically campaign ads. But, again, from a prosecution standpoint, that is irrelevant. The president gets to disclose classified information for any reason, or no reason.

That is why the leak controversy, first and foremost, is about holding President Obama politically accountable. It is silly to focus on legal accountability. That is not only a matter of considerably less importance; it is one as to which there is virtually zero realistic hope for satisfaction.

Forget the criminal investigation, which will just give knowledgeable witnesses an excuse to withhold cooperation from any congressional inquiry. Congress needs to focus on the culture of recklessness Obama has fostered regarding the nation’s defense secrets — beginning with the transparently political disclosure of classified memoranda about the CIA’s enhanced interrogation program and continuing up to these latest nakedly political, campaign-driven leaks.

***

It is up to Mitt Romney, as the leader of the Republican Party, to choose to make the Obama leaks a campaign issue.

So far, Romney has been silent on this and too many other issues. If he chooses to remain silent on the Obama leaks, he will surrender the issue leaving Obama to continue the leaking and gain whatever political advantage within reach. Instead, Romney could and should seize upon the issue. Romney should speak out quickly, joining in the bipartisan call for an investigation and asking the intelligence committees to hold the closed hearings to obtain the assessments of damage.

When — and if — the committees hold those hearings, Romney should use whatever they may disclose to make a major speech on the issue, calling the Obama administration to account for its actions against our nation’s security. It’s all up to Romney: he can be the leader of the Republican Party or sit silent, absorbing the damage to his campaign and ignoring the damage to our national security.

***

***

Chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, Peter King (R-NY), sat down with Jamie Colby today on America’s News HQ to discuss the investigation into the leaks on counter-terrorism programs. Congressman King said, “This is the most shameful cascade of leaks I’ve ever heard or seen in government. We’re not talking about an incidental leak coming out … We’re talking about leaks involving two of the most sensitive programs in the United States government.”

He said it’s “clear” from those stories published in The New York Times that the information “came from the White House, came right from the National Security Council, came right from the Situation Room.” Rep. King continued, “For the president to say he’s outraged by this … how come he said nothing about it until a few of us, including John McCain, stood up and took him to task for it.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

4grace..been dying to ask the question to someone..without offending.

A client of mine..a Republican..we sometimes shoot the breeze.
We got into this convo a couple months ago..she said you can always tell a homeschool mother..(not that she has a prob with it)
I said why?
She said they always wear denim skirts,jeans and white shirts.
I laughed and said I hadnt noticed that phenomenon.
I guess her patients (she is a doc) always have that “dress code” as homeschooling moms. She said her and her kids were on a flight somewhere, on the plane..she and her kids had a family in front of them. Mom wearing a white button up shirt and denim skirt..her and her daughters laughed and said yep-home schoolers.
She is a funny lady..we were laughing..she couldn’t believe I didnt know about this. Anyway..guess you had to be there.

I had no one to ask..told her I knew some online but was unaware of this dress code. LOL.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM

One is enough…my 1 yr old nephew has shown me that. :)
I am sure he is a handful…11 starts the beginning..the pre-teen years. Watch out in a couple more. ;)
Good for you that you can. I dislike public schools. Not sure what I would do if I had a child…a private Christian school, I suppose. If I could afford it.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:11 AM

Haha. No, no dress code here. I know a LOT of home school moms and none of them wear that “uniform” either. That’s funny.

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:14 AM

4Grace, it was funny. She is a character. I said..maybe its a Florida home school mom thing.

She said she sees it all the time.

Anyway..had to be there. Thanks for answering.

Glad to know your not in the code. ;)

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM

I will update her on my denim research. lmao

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Yes, one can be a handful. I know two women that have 6 kids. SIX. My goodness. And they are the most laid back women you would ever meet. I would be swinging from the ceiling fan.

My son is very bright, but he is also very, VERY high-end ADHD. I pulled him from public school during 3rd grade. His teachers were great, but he cannot flourish in that public school environment.

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM

6? Gee, I can barely take care of my cats. lol…she must have the patience of God.

Yes, the cookie cutter environment in PS..
Children learn differently..depending.
Why I struggled in some subjects when I was younger.
Glad you are able to do that and he can thrive.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Glad to know your not in the code. ;)

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:16 AM

My code is shorts or capris, a T-shirt and tennis shoes. :)

I honestly don’t miss the days of high heels, superb hair and “professional attire.”

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:22 AM

The new Home school mom dress code..cheese boobs! lol

I will let her know my home school mom wears cheese outfits..no denim. lmao.
Thx Grace, your a card.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:24 AM

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:22 AM

I am a surfer beach girl..flip flops, tee’s and shorts for me..

I do work in a professional industry…I hate having to wear my dress clothes. Too hot here anyway.

The minuet I get home- off they go!

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Crap, now I know it’s late. My computer is installing its updates and wants me to restart.

I better hit the hay. I hate to leave you alone, but I bet there are a couple of lurkers that will hop in and visit.

Next time we’re “alone” I have a couple of questions I’d like to ask you.

GOODNIGHT, DEAR BAZIL! I enjoyed it very much. :)

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:27 AM

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Sure Gracie, you can ask me anything. :)

No- get to bed. This will be my quiet time before work to catch up on my politico reading and news.
Thanks for the company though!!

Always a pleasure- take care!

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Oh, and let’s wave to the morning crew. They’ll be here before you know it.

*waves* Good morning, guys and gals!!!

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM

yes, they can tell us about dingdong coffee joe and the mika loon.

Night Gracie!

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Ma used to make an awesome peach cobbler from our peach tree fifty years ago. Gramps churned the ice cream…

OmahaConservative on June 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Sounds like heaven.

My grandma use to make the fresh pies from scratch.
I was so spoiled as a kid..didn’t even know it.
She made homemade peach and strawberry jam too.
Just the best stuff ever. I miss it but have wonderful memories.
rare to see anyone make anything from scratch anymore..slapping a frozen pie crust filled with canned pie filling down..doesnt quite do it for me. A lost art..

Peach is my fave..I don’t care for cake. Always had her famous homemade peaches and cream pie every birthday. My mom still makes it for me.
In Calif back then..we had the most beautiful big juicy peaches…sorry GA..but your peaches arent all that. ;)

Bmore..my pie request for this meeting- is peach, blackberry or blue. Actually, I will take anything Mrs B offers. :)

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Outside investigator of the Obama white house? Why if they only knew where Hoffa was buried they could get him to do the job–except that he’s on the Democratic voting list in all 57 states.

Don L on June 14, 2012 at 5:06 AM

hey! baZIL

sorry, caps lop key gets me sometimes

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:06 AM

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Dang, I gained five pounds just reading your comment!

Don L on June 14, 2012 at 5:07 AM

I drank a Big Gulp and gained -1 pound. It’s not the sugar…it’s the inaction. Mandate physical activity Nanny Bloomy. rollerblades preferably

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM

here’s a thought — liberals are the Wis recall. How many times does a blue state have to lose before they admit it’s not a blue state anymore?

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Hmmm, can Obama be prosecuted after he is out of office?

I know not a US tradtion. But it’s a third world tradition *cough*, *cough*, Egypt. Well, Obama wants the US to be like a third world nation. I’d be willing to have mass trials for Obama, his corrupt cabinet officers, and the political appointees in the DOJ. Fitting justice to one who wants to “fundamentally transform” America. And a good lesson to future politicians.

NaCly dog on June 13, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Yeah right…Lets be honest-He is the 1st black prez…He will continue and has gotten a pass for everything because of that. IMO- That is what it all boils down to. For fear of being called a racist and bringing down the 1st Black prez..everyone tip toes around him and the media props him up. Most on the right do as well. No one will do diddly. The won, his admin and the media make sure they use that card every chance they got/get. Division and fear has been their best tool..and they know it. facts don’t matter…Newt calling him the welfare president..of course was racist. The media spins for him and they will keep ensuring he is well insulated and the awesome!
I can visualize the future history books and how they paint his legacy. Cant you? Its already being written. Catching Bin Laden, gay rights, blah blah blah….

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Dang, I gained five pounds just reading your comment!

Don L on June 14, 2012 at 5:07 AM

LOL..I gained 10. :)

They dont make grammy’s like they use to. ;)

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Slade! XO- we always meet at the oddest hours.

Missed ya.

I love me my TX peeps.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:27 AM

Ed…what’s with the auto advertisements? It’s very annoying

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:30 AM

google talk and stuff baz

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:32 AM

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Yes, regulating soda portions and outlawing happy meals isn’t the fat problem in this country. But keep on trying you liberal, freedom stealing nanny idiots.

Everyone know works in a cubical..barely moving..children sit on computers chatting on FB for hours and play video games all day-stuck to the boob tube.

I played outside for hours as a child..we had 13 tv channels..
We were active and played sports. Kick ball in the street, rode bikes, built forts…I hated to be inside. It is about inactivity and other food choices. Not a coke or a ice cream cone.
Everything now is sedentary. Adult or Child. The world has changed.
I remember when we actually had to get up to change the tv channel. :)

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:34 AM

You want me to go to GT? I can…

Yeah..I got a new PC and was afraid to add pop up/ad blocker…

It messes up my work stuff during the day..with fire fox.

The auto ads are annoying the hell out of me.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:36 AM

13 channels! elitist

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:38 AM

13 channels! elitist

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:38 AM

Back in the 80′s…one tv in the house..old console style..do u remeber young one? A dial…
lol..13 compared to what now….5 million?

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Including John McCain…lol
Well then…I am impressed. Even he takes it seriously!
Fight with us John! heh.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:52 AM

Obama: I’m insulted by the security leaks…even though I ordered them and Tom Donilon (who?) did it at my request.

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 6:04 AM

heh..right?

Little political games..confusing to the sheeple.

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 6:10 AM

Good Morning-
so I just heard on the radio that mitt will be speaking about the same time as dear leader…who do you think will get the tv coverage? that doesn’t sounds like smart planning or am i wrong?

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 6:46 AM

And we’re supposed to take this investigation seriously?

the administration sure isnt

absolutely despicable….the outrage from the lsm/dems if a gop president did this….

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Morning all. Did anybody just see the Moaning Joe segment I just wish listening to half awake and before coffee?

The topic began with Obama campaign chief Jim Messina (?) and how brilliant and so much more “hip” than Romney’s manager. Messina was trained by Steve Jobs! He listens to Steven Spielberg! Then an author of an article on the brilliant Messina say Anna Wintour is a consultant and wants Messina to have Obama design a line of Presidential clothing with his O emblem on it and it was downhill from there . In two minutes it became “who hired this boob Messina?”

Was I dreaming?

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM

It’s like the Morning Joe crew is given talking points and half way through realize “even WE don’t believe this BS anymore.”

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:06 AM

nope…but those folks will double down on his strategy…

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:10 AM

but they’ll keep dishing it out because they are his lackeys lock stock and barrel

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Good morning Marcus and CMS. I missed that segment on the Obama fashion collection. The shirts will be brown, I assume?

I was watching Scott Brown saying that he was proud to be the deciding vote to pass Dodd-Frank and demanding that money be clawed back from JP Morgan and redistributed to the investors who lost money. He doesn’t seem to have an opinion on Jon Corzine and IMF Global, though.

We are so screwed.

Naturally Curly on June 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM

We are so screwed.

Naturally Curly on June 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM

morning!

cripe…*shaking the head*

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 7:22 AM

this is shameful. The Romney campaign needs to bludgeon these guys with this.

ted c on June 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM

ted c on June 14, 2012 at 7:25 AM

i fear this maybe one of his mccain moments…playing mr nice guy….

this is an egregious act that will get a slap on the wrist….

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 7:32 AM

and now they are fawning over elizabeth warren…too bad her BFF Mika isn’t on the show today

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Barf alert: Scarborough sucking up to Elizabeth Warren. Hmmm-smooch smooch kissy smooch.

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Absolutely amazing. Scarborough you are a hack supreme to lob nothing but softballs and kiss her Cherokee backside. Hack!

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Hack!

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

indeed

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 7:44 AM

That’s why I don’t watch them anymore, if I can help it.

kingsjester on June 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Why do you guys watch Scarborough if all he does is fellate liberals and mess with your blood pressure…an alternative to caffeine?

SKYFOX on June 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM

SKYFOX on June 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM

fox and friends irritates me for some reason…

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Oh, and let’s wave to the morning crew. They’ll be here before you know it.

*waves* Good morning, guys and gals!!!

4Grace on June 14, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Mornin’ Gracie!

And good morning to you too Morning Crew!

In Honor of The Day.

Flora Duh on June 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Flora Duh on June 14, 2012 at 8:04 AM

morning!

Happy Flag Day!

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 8:07 AM

13 channels! elitist

Slade73 on June 14, 2012 at 5:38 AM

lol..13 compared to what now….5 million?

bazil9 on June 14, 2012 at 5:40 AM

Back in the early 60′s…black and white, rotary dial to change channels, of which there was 3, ABC, CBS & the Peacock. And they all stopped broadcasting at midnight. When they signed off for the night they would play The Star Spangled Banner before switching to the test pattern.

We had 2 TVs in the house – in the same room – one on top of the other – because the sound didn’t work in the floor model and the picture tube was blown in the table top model, so we had to play both of them at the same time.

Ah, what fond memories.

Flora Duh on June 14, 2012 at 8:25 AM

It is going to reach the point where Whine Williams will start asking if they are putting Double-M up against him before he agrees to appear. There are only so many head shots one dude can take, after all.

PJ Emeritus on June 14, 2012 at 8:31 AM

fox and friends irritates me for some reason…

cmsinaz on June 14, 2012 at 8:01 AM

It annoys me that neither Brian Kilmead nor Steve Doocey can get a coherent sentence out of their mouths.

Naturally Curly on June 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Naturally Curly on June 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Kilmead should stick to sports radio. He’s really good at that.

Doocey? Even when I agree with a point he’s trying to make I just want to smack that little smirk he always makes off his face.

Flora Duh on June 14, 2012 at 8:49 AM

I agree with you guys. Kilmeade and Doocey lucked into the fact that they happened to be in the morning slot when FoxNews went ballistic in the ratings. It certainly wasn’t because of them.

I wish Bill Hemmer hosted the show with Gretchen. Those two Brian and Steve are Mutt and Jeff.

Marcus on June 14, 2012 at 9:19 AM