NYC board of health: Hey, maybe we should extend this soda ban to other foods

posted at 4:16 pm on June 13, 2012 by Allahpundit

Like I said a few weeks ago, this was always the goal of the otherwise dumb soda regs. A restriction on portion sizes makes no sense when it’s limited to one kind of beverage and a select few types of vendors except as a way to inure the public to more draconian regulations down the line. Ban big sodas now, let people get used to it, and then if/when the city’s obesity rate dips — for whatever reason(s) — flog the hell out of those statistics as proof that dietary nannyism works and should be pursued more aggressively. No surprise, then, that the city health board might be thinking about bold new frontiers in keeping you from stuffing your face.

What is surprising is that they’re doing it so soon. This strategy depends on going very slowly at first so that initial worries about a slippery slope will ease. Instead, sounds like they’re ready to turn this into a slippery water slide. Bad move:

“The popcorn isn’t a whole lot better than the soda,” said Bruce Vladeck, a senior adviser at Nexera Consulting and one of the mayor’s appointees to the 11-member board.

The board yesterday agreed to put Bloomberg’s big-soda ban up for a public hearing July 24, but also talked about the merits of limiting other high-calorie treats.

A large tub of movie-theater popcorn has up to 1,650 calories.

“There are certainly milkshakes and milk-coffee beverages that have monstrous amounts of calories . . . and I’m not so sure what the rationale is not to include those,” said member Dr. Joel Forman, a pediatrics professor at Mount Sinai.

The rationale for skipping milkshakes — for now — is, I guess, that there’s some nutritional benefit to milk-based drinks whereas soda is pure crapola. But of course, it’s not the milk that’s doing the heavy caloric lifting in the average latte syrup bomb, it’s the sugar. Why not drop a portion-size restriction on Starbucks too and let customers supplement their lost milk with a cup out of the carton at home? (Why not just ban the sugar and syrup altogether?) Answer: Because the well-educated diet-minded liberals who sneer at soda consumption kind of enjoy their morning mochaccinos, and if the state starts coming after that now, then Bloomberg might have a real backlash on his hands. Paternalism’s for the rubes, not for the overclass.

The good news is that even in deep blue NYC, 51 percent oppose the soda ban. The bad news is that the future looks grim. Note the spread among age groups when New Yorkers were asked whether they support the ban or not:

Some of that may be due to older residents having grown up drinking soda as a staple whereas younger adults had more options at the supermarket, but that doesn’t explain all of it. As you’re about to see, there’s a similar spread on the broader question of whether “government should be getting involved in people’s eating and drinking habits to fight obesity”:

You’ve got a clear majority overall in support for that one overall despite strong opposition from seniors (libertarian grandmas!), which makes me wonder if part of the reason New Yorkers don’t like the soda ban is because it doesn’t go far enough. In any case, the fact that young adults are more gung-ho than other groups for this sort of meddling cretinism proves how effective the left’s messengers can be when they seize on some new health problem and hammer and hammer and hammer at it. New Yorkers have been listening to Bloomberg and his liberal allies in the media whine about obesity for years; go figure that kids who grew up here listening to it would start to bend because of it. Bear all of this in mind when the Supreme Court’s ruling on ObamaCare drops in a week or two, as we’ll be hearing again about how paranoid those wingnuts are to worry about Congress passing some sort of “broccoli mandate.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Gee, I’m surprised.

kim roy on June 13, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I think they should ban hobos and panhandlers. It makes me so uncomfortable to walk down the street and have to divert my eyes from their pleas.

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Don’t touch my bacon.

The Rogue Tomato on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Spontaneously combust you fool.

Schadenfreude on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Ban Wagyu from NYC

Ban magnums of champagne.

No more that 3 escargoes.

Ban caviar (genocide of the poor fish)

J_Crater on June 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Apparently, a lot of New Yorkers back this Horse sh*t.

What say you New Yorkers??

ToddPA on June 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He’s really ruined that city. We used to go every couple of years and spend a lot of money.

Not any more.

gophergirl on June 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Tell them that Doomberg and the city council has banned anyone from giving to the homeless and that they should all storm City Hall.

Somewhat OT – an annoying subway conductor used to call panhandling “pan-dangling” and “pan-tangling.”

Rixon on June 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

First NY, then the rest of the country…

OmahaConservative on June 13, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Or it tells you how effective government schools have been at indoctrinating our youth to be good little subjects of a benevolent and omniscient government.

Socratease on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Eat your arugula, fools. Michelle will eat the lobsters.

Schadenfreude on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Coulda told ya this would happen. Let me put my surprised look on.

DuctTapeMyBrain on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

He should ban Circus Peanuts. I really hate those things, so nobody else should be able to eat them.

The Rogue Tomato on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Other things NYC should limit the size of—–the number of years one person can be mayor. Oh wait, they did away with that limit.

dirtseller on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

“I hereby ban any food product that is taller than I am.” – Emperor Dumbkopf-berg.

Like Woody Allen in the original “Casino Royale.”

Rixon on June 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Obama: Let me eat my waffles.

The Rogue Tomato on June 13, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Time for the people to shrug.

search4truth on June 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

dirtseller on June 13, 2012 at 4:22 PM

We voted for it but Doomberg bribed the City Council to let him run for a third term. He was so cocky that he almost lost – to Charles Barron.

I don’t know who’s worse. Time to move.

Rixon on June 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Probably a good idea. Beta-yankees cannot take care of themselves.

cozmo on June 13, 2012 at 4:24 PM

I said this before, but hey, this a repeat…

Ban dresses over size 12.

faraway on June 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Maybe if liberals were interested in job creation, we wouldn’t have hobos and panhandlers.

search4truth on June 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Follow the money. Why is the left pushing this? Who is funding them to do it?

Corporal Tunnel on June 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Napolean complex.

a capella on June 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

They should try to reduce the number of idiots, so they should ban MSNBC.

faraway on June 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

When did “consent of the governed” become a government-mandated diet control? Super-sized soft drinks, popcorn, milkshakes… this is only the beginning and it’s already waaay beyond absurd. They do this… because the sheep let them. “What’s the Spanish word for straightjacket?”

de rigueur on June 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM

When will they come for the Twizzlers and Milk Duds?

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

You couldnt pay me enough to live in that city.

But, if I did, I would buy large vats of soda and massive tubs of popcorn and carry them around behind me in a wagon, and tell Mayor Bloomberg he can blow me sideways.

If their ideas are so good, why don’t they just skip all the intermediate steps and just go straight to allowing New Yorkers to only eat free-range chicken and aspargus?

I can’t wait until he tries to take away the pizza from New Yorkers.

gravityman on June 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

When will they come for the Twizzlers and Milk Duds?

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Skittles and Arizona tea. Those cause white hispanics to go wild.

cozmo on June 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

When will they come for the Twizzlers and Milk Duds?

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

They came for Twizzlers and I did nothing because I don’t like Twizzlers…

The Rogue Tomato on June 13, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Skittles and Arizona tea. Those cause white hispanics to go wild.

cozmo on June 13, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Shouldn’t orange soda be exempted from any proposed ban? After, that would just be racist…

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Come try that in the Heartland, jackwagons.

kingsjester on June 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

*after all

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Throw in a ban on non sequitur comments and you’ve got yourself a deal.

Kataklysmic on June 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

I can’t wait until he tries to take away the pizza from New Yorkers.

gravityman on June 13, 2012 at 4:29 PM

They have no problem with having their second amendment rights taken away, but will fight for pizza?

With what?*

* See caving on the second amendment thing.

cozmo on June 13, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Ban dresses over size 12.

Well I guess that would keep any people in nyc from eating seeing any over size 12 walking around nude?

You people live in nyc and keep keep voting for this mini-castro and now you live with it?

I have NO idea why any American would visit/own property/or spend one penny in that state?
L

letget on June 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

No, it doesn’t, Skippy. You’re a Liberal. You guys don’t give to charities.

kingsjester on June 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Bloomberg and the City Council are one big untreatable mental defect

Rovin on June 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

This is the perfect issue to use to teach every young person you know why they should never ever vote for a liberal.

First they’ll take away your soda. Then they’ll come for your popcorn and milk products (aka: ice cream). Pretty soon the only things left to eat will be green and organic.

Choose your future carefully young people!

wren on June 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Throw in a ban on non sequitur comments and you’ve got yourself a deal.

Kataklysmic on June 13, 2012 at 4:32 PM

That’s all the libiot could come up with.

cozmo on June 13, 2012 at 4:35 PM

inthemiddle 4:19 p.m.

There’s some of that good ol’ fashioned liberal compassion!

Getcha some!

avgjo on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Eh. The people of NYC vote these statists in. It’s what they want. If they had any self respect and insisted on being treated as free thinking adults they’d shoot the idea down during the hearings…but I doubt that will happen.

NYC is becoming the east coast version of California.

2lbsTest on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

First they came for the Big Gulps. Next, it’s the milkshakes. And the popcorn. If they come for the mac and cheese with bacon, it’s time for an insurrection.

Slippery slope. Have fun with your liberal dictator, NYC. I’m not going to be a part of it, NY, NY.

Philly on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

inthemiddle on June 13, 2012 at 4:19 PM

No, it doesn’t, Skippy. You’re a Liberal. You guys don’t give to charities.

kingsjester on June 13, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Tee-Hee….excellent kingsjester! :)

sicoit on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

sicoit on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Thank y’all kindly, ma’am.

kingsjester on June 13, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I said this before, but hey, this a repeat…

Ban dresses over size 12.

faraway on June 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

What about muumuus?

listens2glenn on June 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

NYC deserves this creep and his kind.

Wall it off and let The Duke of New York take rise.

RedNewEnglander on June 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Napolean complex.

a capella on June 13, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Sorry I can’t find the YouTube clip of the Time Bandits scene of Napoleon (actor Ian Holme) regaling his bored (and captive) dinner guests with the following drunken monologue:

NAPOLEON: Alexander the Great, five feet exactly. Isn’t that incredible? Alexander the Great, whose empire stretched from India to Hungary, one inch shorter than me. Oliver Cromwell, the only man with any guts in British history, not a big man at all. Louis Quatorze, five foot two half. Charlemagne, dumpy little five-footer. He’s quite a little chap. Atilla the Hun, five foot one half. Cyrano de Bergerac, five foot three half. Tamerlane the Great, four foot nine and three quarters.

Napoleon falls asleep and everyone creeps away from the table.

Captures Bloomberg perfectly, ne c’est pas?

de rigueur on June 13, 2012 at 4:40 PM

…why do Liberals always want to touch our junk?

KOOLAID2 on June 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Ban Nanny Statist Boobs.
And short men with inferiority complexes.
One bird, two stones.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

The consumption of all food and beverages should be banned in NYC.

Pork-Chop on June 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I take it there are no Heart Attack Grills in NYC.

tru2tx on June 13, 2012 at 4:42 PM

I am a runner.
I get injured from running (maybe a stress fracture).
When I get injured from running I have to see a doctor.
When I see a doctor for my running injury (under ObamaCare) everyone helps pay for my treatment.

Government solution: Ban Running

BRunner on June 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

New York should just start assessing BMI fines. Cops could stop any suspiciously fat people, measure them and write them tickets right there. Big, fat tickets.

New Yorkers deserve this. They voted for the midget Stalin, they got the midget Stalin. I’ll never step foot in that insane city again and will endeavor to not do business with anyone based there. New York City has become an affront to America. Pathetic.

When they descend back into the chasm of the 70s, which they will, they had better look to Europe or North Korea for a bailout.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 13, 2012 at 4:43 PM

No soup for you!

kingsjester on June 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Why not let New Yawkers just live on air? That’s about all they’ve got in their heads anyway.

GarandFan on June 13, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Democrats, especially liberal democrats, are too dumb to make responsible choices on their own. Personal responsibility is not an attribute normally associated with a democrat.

NYC is a festering cesspool of liberal democrats. Democrats need and deserve to be told what to do, because they are not intelligent or responsible enough to make good choices on their own.

After all, liberal democrats recently admitted they were not intelligent enough to make a simple $10 a month birth control decision on their own.

Bloomberg is doing a fine job of exposing how irresponsible his base (democrats) are by having to step in and be the nanny.

BruthaMan on June 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Captures Bloomberg perfectly, ne c’est pas?

At least those guys accomplished something. This whiney busy-body hasn’t done a damned thing for this town. G-d how I miss Rudy.

Rixon on June 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I think the strong opposition by the elderly is their realization that THEY ARE ADULTS and don’t take kindly to this nonsense.

(“I fought my way across Iwo Jima and you’re going to tell me a soda is bad for my health?!?”)

kurtzz3 on June 13, 2012 at 4:48 PM

Just get it over for the poor New Yorkers and legislate that mandated bed time.

MNHawk on June 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

What about muumuus?

listens2glenn on June 13, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Blue and white sarongs?

steebo77 on June 13, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Let me see . . .

The government can’t/won’t use food as a weapon against those who would harm us, but thinks it’s OK to do it to common citizens.

I’d like to see an accounting of what the Mayor, the council, and their staffs have on hand in their pantrys.

I suspect we will find that “we’re all equal, but some are more equal than others.”

EdmundBurke247 on June 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

And while we’re banning popcorn, was Schumer successful in passing legislation dealing with the problem of New Yorkers eating their barbecue brushes? That was quite the problem, last I heard.

Priorities ya know.

MNHawk on June 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I’d love to see what the polls say when they crack down on alcohol, which kills more innocent people than soda or popcorn ever will.

i mean really, if the reason for all this is to reduce the costs that all taxpayers pay for the excesses of some, then doesn’t alcohol belong right up there? drunk driving deaths? alcoholism? rehab? broken families??

what about a government solution to unwed mothers on welfare having a lot of kids? shouldn’t the government step in there too? dictate their lifestyle choices since that cost taxpayers too, no?

its all about what sounds good for someone else. once that 18-35 age group sees that it will affect them at some point, then they’ll change their tune, but will it be too late?

jetch on June 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

New York tells it’s populace, in effect. “You’re too violent, too fat, and too rich. We must take your weapons, and all excess food and other resources.”

We used to recognize that as feudalism.

PXCharon on June 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

All these libs start looking to me like Mr. Burns from the Simpsons. Obama does in his body/physique and Bloomberg in the face.

earlgrey133 on June 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Personally I would ban food in NYC altogether. All of it.

Bmore on June 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

earlgrey133 on June 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

“The popcorn isn’t a whole lot better than the soda,” …

A large tub of movie-theater popcorn has up to 1,650 calories …

It’s like watching Golgafrinchans trying to invent a wheel and arguing about what color it should be.

That whole “dangerous in large numbers” thing is not really a joke, is it?

I’ll just dig faster.

Axe on June 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Again the most disturbing fact about this is one number: 51%.

CorporatePiggy on June 13, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Let’s ban Super-Sized Nanny Staters and Big Gulping Political Busybodies.

They’re more obnoxious than a turnip Sundae topped with rutabaga sprinkles.

profitsbeard on June 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

So much for sharing the tub of popcorn

ooh – only 300 calories person in group?
but what about free refills?

Its all a waste of time and effort.

In the end, they’ll just charge a tax on the larger portions.
Its all about taxes to be spent on favors in the end.

tomg51 on June 13, 2012 at 4:56 PM

WTF?…the inmates have taken over!

KOOLAID2 on June 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

300 calories PER person in group

tomg51 on June 13, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Ban Nanny Statist Boobs.
And short men with inferiority complexes.
One bird, two stones.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 13, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Yes, exactly! And don’t allow them to appoint the members of the board of health, either, then they could get rid of the rubber stamp on these inane ban proposals. The biggest insanity about these bans is that they’re not gonna even dent the issues Gloomy thinks he’s solving. People will do what they will do and if not Big Gulps, tubs of popcorn and overgrown milk shakes and coffee drinks, they’ll find something else to indulge in that will negate every silly ban these “Nanny Statist Boobs” can think of. Gloomy and his board of health pals need to go have a Big Gulp or a milk shake–their brains are malfunctioning due to a lack of glucose.

stukinIL4now on June 13, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Ban driving cars. Too many injuries in car accidents.

Ban all sports. All sports carry a risk of injury.

Ban swimming. Swimming can lead to drowning.

Ban skateboarding. Way too many injuries.

Ban computer usage of more than 3 hours a day. Carpal tunnel and neck problems are a burden to tax payers.

Ban all meat. We have heard throughout the years that red meat is bad for you.

The Notorious G.O.P on June 13, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Funny how the group that supports the ban is the same group that is for legalizing weed. Hypocrisy at it’s finest.

The Notorious G.O.P on June 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Food-related note to Mayor Bloomberg and his ilk:

GO TAKE A FLYING F**k AT A ROLLING DONUT!

profitsbeard on June 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

What say you New Yorkers??

ToddPA on June 13, 2012 at 4:20 PM

When I first heard, I though Bloomberg had suffered a stroke. That week, most of the potential mayoral candidates came out laughing at it or threatening legislative action against it. I thought the worst was over, while still being unsure as to whether or not the mayor had suffered a psychotic break or something. But then, the NEXT week…Albany provides very obvious and broad cover for the notion, though not going so far as explicitly backing the wording of the plan. With that, the plan found more than enough political daylight to become a foregone conclusion. Add this to AP’s point about NYer’s generally opposing obesity to such an extent that this proposal sounds good, and the poll numbers make sense.

Personally, I think the mayor has had a serious psychotic break and the NY political system is providing cover up to the election. Whoever wins will quietly erase the policy and everyone will act like nothing ever happened.

ernesto on June 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Personally I would ban food in NYC altogether. All of it.

Bmore on June 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

But of course – food causes people to get fat.

Next up is that dastardly dihydrogen monoxide – kills millions of people every year. Let’s make sure NY doesn’t get any of that stuff…..

dentarthurdent on June 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I said this before, but hey, this a repeat…

Ban dresses over size 12.

faraway on June 13, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Ban models over size 12. Why help large women feel good about themselves when we are going to have to pick up their healthcare costs? Bloomblob needs to manage New York City’s high fashion industry much more closely.

slickwillie2001 on June 13, 2012 at 5:07 PM

The Notorious G.O.P on June 13, 2012 at 5:02 PM

But weed doesn’t make you fat… It’s all the food you eat when you get the munchies that makes you fat…
See Bmore on June 13, 2012 at 4:53 PM

dentarthurdent on June 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Soda, sugar, pup-corn and syrupy coffees should be banned altogether…………
for all those on welfare and food-stamps and other taxpayer funded benefits.
These things should be banned for government workers and politicians too, because if you look at it, they are on welfare too and we taxpayers pay their salaries, pensions, benefits and medical bills !
No restrictions on productive and responsible people of our society .

burrata on June 13, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Since degenerates (see Book of Eli) high on “bath salts” are eating homeless people, I guess we should ban homeless people…..

dentarthurdent on June 13, 2012 at 5:10 PM

NYC is becoming the east coast version of California.

2lbsTest on June 13, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Not even California is that stupid– yet– although New Yawkers flock here. Los Angeles and San Diego counties just led the statewide defeat (barely) of a proposed new tax on cigarettes. The day you see Hollywood permit the abolition of super-sized soft drinks and popcorn out here is the day the industry has moved to Bollywood.

de rigueur on June 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

precisamundo. hypocrites

Eviva on June 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

We told ya so.

Hard Right on June 13, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Why not just have State run cafeterias where the only thing on the menu will be State issued cabbage soup like they used to have in East Berlin…

… Problem solved!

Seven Percent Solution on June 13, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Not even California is that stupid– yet– although New Yawkers flock here.
de rigueur on June 13, 2012 at 5:11 PM

I don’t know about that. Wasn’t it San Fran (or CA as a whole?) that banned toys in McD’s happy meals because kids get fat eating at McD’s?

But I have to agree not ALL of CA is that crazy – yet. I just spent a week in Oxnard and had some GREAT seafood.

dentarthurdent on June 13, 2012 at 5:14 PM

That’s just it though. Younger generations are also growing up with the idea that free health care is a right, not a privilege and as such, taxpayers have to subsidize health insurance.

If that’s our given, then we need to pass some sort of mandate that forces the unhealthy to eat better and exercise. If I’m going to have to pay for someone’s poor healthy choices, then it’s in the public’s interest to severely reduce those choices, as that directly impacts interstate commerce far more than health insurance does currently.

Esthier on June 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Esthier on June 13, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I see mandatory government run calisthentics out on the sidewalk every morning for all NewYawkas.
No sarc there – if Obummercare survives – it’s coming.

dentarthurdent on June 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

ernesto on June 13, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Only 51% of New Yorkers oppose this. If a psychotic break is the cause here, you may want to invest in a firearm.

Esthier on June 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

As soon a I heard about the soda ban, I knew they would be coming for my coffee next. There is no line that dictators will not cross once they become emboldened. Surf and Turf is next New Yorkers… Enjoy your F’ed up lives… You earned them.
Baby doctor… I guess that is the ultimate mommy state castratie…

RalphyBoy on June 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Esthier on June 13, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Like I said, the next mayor will quietly undue this and things will end happily ever after. If not, then I’ll run.

ernesto on June 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Next up: mandated exercises and daily weigh-ins.

Those who fail to conform to the government-prescribed BMI will be transported to re-education camps and force fed “healthy” food in “healthy” proportions (as determined by your government masters), and shall perform daily exercises under the supervision and direction of the Diet Czar, until such time as they are found to be in compliance.

Those who fail to comply shall be shot and their corpses recycled into compost for community gardens, in the interests of the public good.

AZCoyote on June 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Every NYC government building should have huge signs at the entrances saying:
“Just because we are the government does not mean that we know what we are doing or are doing the right thing.”

albill on June 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

ernesto on June 13, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Not sure where your optimism is coming from exactly, especially with the stats AP cited. Plus, as more people get insurance, it only increases the burden for the healthy, which may further drive resentment. It’s hard to be quiet about these initiatives when they’re already so high profile.

Esthier on June 13, 2012 at 5:35 PM

I think there’s another angle to this (if it hasn’t been brought up already, and if it has, I apologize). If somebody wants an aquarium sized soda and that size is no longer available, they’ll buy the largest size Bloomberg allows. When they are done they will go back for more. Even now a jumbo size soda does not cost twice as much as a soda half its size so if people buy multiple smaller drinks throughout the day, they end up paying more money for a couple medium sodas than one jumbo size. These means more sales tax collected. In New York city that extra bit of sales tax could add up big time.

DaveDief on June 13, 2012 at 5:36 PM