Romney adviser: You “need time-lapse photography” to see the growth in the economy

posted at 6:01 pm on June 11, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

As various Democrats have made plain, they’re gettin’ real sick n’ tired of us darn conservatives manufacturing a big to-do about President Obama’s “the private sector is doing just fine” remark during his press conference last Friday, so enough already! Mitt Romney campaign adviser Eric Fehrnstrom had his work cut out for him, however, as MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell tried to dismiss Republicans for making such a big deal out of this on her show earlier this afternoon:

“I don’t know what he meant. I only know what he said. He said the private sector is doing fine. That’s not the case; not when GDP growth has been revised downward in the first quarter to 1.9 percent. I mean, you need time-lapse photography to detect any movement at all in this slow-growing economy. I think the big problem here, Andrea, is that the first rule of a turn-around is to recognize the magnitude of the problem you’re facing, but if the president thinks the private sector is doing fine, as he says, then he’s not going to take the steps necessary to lead a real economic recovery. …

Mitt Romney respects the job that teachers do, and firefighters and policemen. But it was just a month ago that President Obama was bragging about the fact that he has shrunk government employment. Now he’s suggesting that increasing the levels of government employment is going to lead us out of the economic problems that we’re having. If he truly believes that, and I’m not sure what he believes because he’s given conflicting messages on it, but if he does believe it, then we two very different visions between the president and Mitt Romney about how you get this economy going again. Barack Obama apparently feels you raise taxes, you borrow money, you give those funds to local governments and let them increase the level of public employment. He thinks that will create a robust recovery. Mitt Romney believes that the way to create the recovery is to unleash the power of the private sector, to empower our entrepreneurs and innovators, and the way you do that by reducing regulation, by keeping taxes low, by encouraging free trade, pursuing energy development, and making America the most attractive place in the world for investment and job creation.”

Forgive the compulsion, but I need to take Andrea Mitchell to task a little on this one. Uhm, no, I don’t know what the president ostensibly “meant” with his comment, I only know that he was proposing we spend more government (a.k.a. taxpayer) money so that states and localities can hire more cops and teachers, which is a poor excuse for a jobs plan.

As far as forgiving people for “misspeaking,” I really don’t think Obama’s private-sector remark and the Romney camp’s “etch-a-sketch” remark are comparable. Good for you for not making a big deal of the “etch-a-sketch” comment, because there were and are larger issues; but as to there being larger issues in regards to Obama’s remark? No. The economy is kind of the whole point in this debate, and the president’s comment is a reflection of what he really believes about how to get the economy moving again. He doesn’t have much faith in the private sector as an engine for growth; he has much more faith in government stimulus.

Fehrnstrom handled that one like a champ.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 7:38 PM

He’s in the living room, anxiously waiting for his nightly fix of Gunsmoke on the Western Channel.

Flora Duh on June 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Flora Duh on June 11, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Would you mind thanking him for me? I would have greeted him with admiration and a big man hug. Would you mind giving him a nice hug for me. And tell him I think he is the luckiest man I will probably never meet. He has you. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

One of the things I like about Romney’s crew is that they’re not afraid to show up on MSNBC and when they do they hand Obamabots like Mitchell their heads. You won’t see the reverse. The Obama people won’t show up on Fox.

xkaydet65 on June 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 7:49 PM

awww, how sweet. Yes, I’ll tell him, but I already know what his response will be: “if they only knew.” :-)

Flora Duh on June 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Flora Duh on June 11, 2012 at 7:52 PM

; ) Did he enjoy the hug? He’d better.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 8:02 PM

mitts spokesman gave me the creeps. he looks like a grown up hitler-youth type of guy. can the clown i say.

renalin on June 11, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Dude/Ma’am, please make note of the correction I’m making for you here.

Rmoney™s peeps look like Mittler youth.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 7:16 PM

got a little hot under the collar. its a latino thing. (but if you really want to know i’m deep down just a jerk, who uses his latinohood as a shield)

renalin on June 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Does Mitchell admit that she is part of Obama campaign and because she did not make big deal of something that Romney campaign said, as pay back Romney campaign should be kind to Obama/Andrea Mitchell campaign?

finallyhere on June 11, 2012 at 8:53 PM

renalin on June 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Duly noted, but I’d still go with Mittler Youth. Its funnier and frankly Hitler references should be used exceedingly sparingly. Is it true some Hispanics don’t like being referred to as Latino and vice versa?

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

“Every dime spent on the Public sector has to EARNED in the Private Sector first.”

KenInIL on June 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Eric Fehrnstrom versus Jay Carney debate. I’d pay to see it.

sdbatboy on June 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Andrea looks a little desperate. And you have to feel her pain, if they are going to help Barky the Doglover over the line it is going to take a monumental effort.

CorporatePiggy on June 11, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 8:54 PM

i would take either one. beaner to me is a definite no no. but i’m an older coot.

renalin on June 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

This was plain stupid of Obama. It is one place where he and Mitt are much different. Obama is just plain a Marxist and a complete idiot. Mitt is no idiot.

But Mitt increased Spending by quite a bit in Mass. So both love increasing taxes and fees to support massive Government. But Romney knows how that effects the economy and to be fair Mass was doing plenty fine when he was there. 4.7 unemployment is mostly considered optimum. The whole country was. I just hope will rule differently because the economy is much different.

Steveangell on June 11, 2012 at 10:23 PM

That’s why we give our Executive four years in office once elected: they get four years to prove themselves to us and make a record.

And Obama had repeatedly shown himself a failure.

Time up and no more chances if we are smart.

If.

Sherman1864 on June 12, 2012 at 3:34 AM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

..hey folks, it’s ba-a-a-a-ck!

The War Planner on June 11, 2012 at 6:23 PM

It got tired of being spanked in the Jewish support thread.

Figured to find some different beatings here.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 6:24 PM

LOL…”spanked”? A couple of us more normal types took on the usual claque of 5-7 ‘bots and were, as usual, not proven wrong. Same ol’ same ol’.

And even here, notice how no one answered my question.

ddrintn on June 12, 2012 at 6:57 AM

I thought that was a disqualifier for the office of the presidency.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

No being a dumb Alaskan hick disqualifies you.

CW on June 11, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Yeah, I figured. It was always terrible for Palin to duck the MSM, but it’s brilliant for His Mittness. Who, I thought, unlike the “dumb hick”, was supposed to be a whiz at handling the media. Guess not.

ddrintn on June 12, 2012 at 7:09 AM

So she admits the medias job is to report what they think the President meant, not what he said. Got it.

ctmom on June 12, 2012 at 7:42 AM