Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on June 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad — they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party — and I don’t — as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground,” Bush said, adding that he views the hyper-partisan moment as “temporary.”

“Back to my dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time – they got a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan suport,” he said. Reagan “would be criticized for doing the things that he did.”

Bush called the present partisan climate “disturbing.”

“It’s just a different environment left and right,” he said of “this dysfunction.”

***

Former Florida Governor Jeb Bush, in a break with his party, said he could support tax increases to help reduce the federal government’s budget deficit…

“If you could bring to me a majority of people to say that we’re going to have $10 in spending cuts for $1 of revenue enhancement — put me in, coach,” Bush told the House Budget Committee. “This will prove I’m not running for anything,” he said, prompting laughter from lawmakers and the audience…

Committee Chairman Paul Ryan, a Wisconsin Republican, declined to comment on Bush’s remarks.

***

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush said he supports both a path to citizenship or legal residency for the more than 11 million people living in the United States illegally.

“You have to deal with this issue. You can’t ignore it, and so either a path to citizenship, which I would support–and that does put me probably out of the mainstream of most conservatives–or … a path… to residency of some kind,” he said during an interview last week with Charlie Rose on CBS…

Bush said he agreed with Romney on the need to secure the border and the importance of raising the number of work visas available for high-skilled workers. But he warns that the tone of the immigration debate among Republicans is “shortsighted.”

“It sends a signal,” Bush said. “We want your support, but you can’t join our team.”

***

“I’m not sure what Jeb’s referring to,” Gingrich said on CNN’s “John King, USA.” “We just had a pretty grueling campaign, which had a fair amount of disagreement, a pretty wide range of views from Ron Paul to say Tim Pawlenty.”

He continued: “In that framework, you see us come together as a party. I think there’s plenty of room in the Republican Party for a wide range of candidates.”…

“I would argue in many ways we have a more diverse party today than the Democrats. It’s much easier to be of a different view as a Republican, without having the kind of pressure you would have if you were a pro-life Democrat,” he said.

***

Barack Obama made a similar point back in April, arguing that “[Reagan] could not get through a Republican primary today.”…

But it is also worth asking this: Could liberal icons such as Franklin Delano Roosevelt or John Fitzgerald Kennedy get through a Democratic primary today?

I very much doubt it.

There are some similarities, of course, but the political landscape is very different today than in 1980. The same can be said between now and the 1960s and the 1930s. That fact says less about the modern party than a simple reflection of changes in the country and electoral reality. Taking away any other lesson is a waste of time and energy.

***

Both men [Clinton and Jeb Bush], by virtue of their family’s standing in their respective parties, have a nearly un-matched political pulpit from which to express their views. And they’re using it more and more these days.

Both men also seem to see their party drifting away from what’s important. For Clinton, he wants a more close examination of the two sides’ visions for the future rather than a muddy bar fight, and for Bush, he wants his party to work with the other side more on issues like illegal immigration and the budget.

It also just so happens that both could be hurting their parties’ brands heading into the fall election.

Republicans have already used Clinton’s words — with great gusto — against President Obama. And we would expect the same on the GOP side, with Bush’s words being used against Romney and congressional Republicans.

***

To understand what Bush is saying, you need to anticipate how the party might diagnose the causes of a loss in 2012, and then you can see how he is setting himself as the cure. Bush has been publicly urging Republicans to moderate their tone toward Latinos and to embrace immigration reform. Here is the one issue where Republicans, should they lose, will almost surely conclude that they need to moderate their party stance. The Latino vote is both growing in size and seems to be tilting ever more strongly toward the Democrats, a combination that will rapidly make the electoral map virtually unwinnable. Indeed, the body language of the Romney campaign suggests it already regrets the hard-line stances on immigration it adopted during the primary…

If you try to imagine the Republican consensus after a potential losing election, it will look like this. It will recognize that its harsh partisan rhetoric turned off voters, and will urgently want to woo Latinos, while holding on to as much as possible of the party’s domestic policy agenda. And oh, by the way, the party will be casting about for somebody to lead it.

***

Consider the mini-exodus of moderates from the Republican Party, who have ditched the right over a perceived lurch toward Tea Party politics. This has precipitated endless media hand-wringing about the rapid closing of the conservative mind. While there is a certain degree of truth to the charge, it’s a lament not evenly applied (i.e., it’s a partisan complaint). Remember that when the hawkish former Democrat Joe Lieberman, an aggressive supporter of President George W. Bush’s foreign policy, defected from his party, or when Newark Mayor Cory Booker said the Obama campaign’s attacks on private equity “nauseated” him, only to be forced into a humiliating mea culpa, these were not viewed as portents of a closing liberal mind. Likewise, former President Bill Clinton’s recent argument in favor of extended the Bush tax cuts were quickly followed by a groveling apology for breaking party discipline. For Lieberman, it was good riddance to a neoconservative who had long ago forsaken Democratic unity — and the attacks on Booker and Clinton indicated not partisanship, but the necessary correction of an election-season gaffe…

Yes, in times of political tumult, American voters polarize, lining up behind their parties as “yea” and “nay” votes on opposed and irreconcilable ideas about health care policy or deficit reduction or national security. The only way to “heal the partisan divide,” then, is to prevent politicians from taking any remotely controversial positions in the first place. Which is as impossible as it is undesirable.

Because politics is not — despite all clichés to the contrary — about compromise. It’s about making the other guy compromise. And, failing that, it’s about telling any and all who will listen that the country is being torn asunder by boneheaded partisans.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I liked the Funkadelic tune. I gave it best tune of the night the next morning.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

G’night baz.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Police all across America have been dying to eliminate the Fourth Amendment for 60 or 70 years. Most cops view everyone as Guilty until proven innocent and any time you attempt to assert your constitutional right’s they take great offense at it.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 1:47 AM

I’m pro-cop, I just don’t think they should be unaccountable. They caused the situation in the first place, and then prosecuted the resident for reacting to it.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I’m Pro-US Constitution and essential liberties. I do not trust the law enforcement community. The actions of those cops and the court are not isolated incidents, but a systemic pattern of behavior that encompasses the entire law enforcement community.

Little by little American’s have been stripped of their essential liberties by the courts and by the law enforcement community because it makes their job easier and it gives them an ever increasing sense of power and self impotence.

Read this article to get an idea of where I am coming from.

The Rise of the Praetorian Class

I am not an advocate of lawlessness or criminal behavior, I am apposed to totalitarian oppressive government rule. That is what America has slowly been sliding into over the last 100 years or so.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I can’t go yet, I have to load a tune for Dire. jaime, you didn’t happen to read the thread and glean what kinda tune I could load by chance did ya?

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:01 AM

I’m not sure what he likes. I was playing depression-era songs all night.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

You will admit, that there are times when police have to enter a dwelling (on probable cause) when they can’t make nice, knock and ring the doorbell, yes?

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

That is one heck of a slippery slope. Sometimes you hear stories about police making raids on the wrong address in the wee hours. I hear anything coming into my place, and I am shooting buckshot and .45. Heaven forbid it would be LEO’s.

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Well sure, I just hope they don’t screw up the addresses and come here. They’ll be shot most likely. Its the way I’m set up for late night encounters when I’m in town. The ATL can be harsh.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Saw that and appreciated it. Thread was dead or I would have said thanks there. So, “Thanks” here!

I know my tastes in music are pretty varied if not eccentric.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

If y’all are gonna do the music thing tonight, here’s my contribution:

Kick Out The Jams!

(Welcome, RedCrow — haven’t had a chance to meet you yet. I’ll be looking forward.)

If that’s not enough BOC, then there’s always this: Oh no!!

hillbillyjim on June 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Some are debatable, I agree. I worked with cops though.There are a reason we have rights and law.

Night and night all.

bazil9 on June 12, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Absolutely. That’s why the Indiana law is a good one.

‘Nite, bazil9.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

There was an incident here in the ATL just last year. They mixed up houses and some innocent woman was shot dead. That kinda thing can’t happen. No more then me having to shoot a cop who’s in the wrong house. It just has to be done better than that.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:08 AM

If y’all are gonna do the music thing tonight, here’s my contribution:

Kick Out The Jams!

If that’s not enough BOC, then there’s always this: Oh no!!

hillbillyjim on June 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Classic BOC. Thought you were headed to bed :)

I love it when Dennis Miller rocks the Sabbath.

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Glad you saw that. I always go back to threads I’ve been on. Well almost always. Great guitar work!

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 1:55 AM

I’m not sure. I don’t think even half of the cops are as you describe. Personally, I refused a police officer’s request to search my vehicle once. He asked why. I told him he had no probable cause and that I had a Constitutional right to refuse. (I didn’t have anything illegal, BTW.) He let me go with a warning for speeding (which I was doing).

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I refused a cops request once to search my vehicle, so he promptly arrested me claiming that he believed I was under the influence of Meth and searched it anyway.

By the time it was all said and done, after all charges were dropped it still cost me over a thousand bucks. Impound fee’s, court fee’s and time lost from work. Not to mention a forced blood test and being booked into country jail.

That my friend is a perfect example of Guilty until proven innocent and it sucks.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

The Rise of the Praetorian Class

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Yeah, I agree with what you’re saying. I just don’t see an adversarial relationship with the police as being a good thing. However, they must respect our rights and be accountable, or suffer the consequences.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

hillbillyjim on June 12, 2012 at 2:06 AM

Here is the original:

Kick Out The Jams – MC5

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM
Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM

Guys, I don’t mean to be a jerk (just comes naturally), but I said all of this on my previous posts on the subject.

In one post I said (paraphrasing), “I don’t know the answer. This might not end well.”

Also, I mentioned the problems with glitches in the system, and the cops going to the wrong place.

(We’re not disagreeing. But there’s no clear answer (IMO).)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:12 AM

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:11 AM

The problem is that they don’t. They don’t respect our right’s and for the most part are genuinely unaccountable for their actions.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Yeah, that is exacly the sort of behavior that they should be held accountable for. The court in Indiana said you had remedies in law. If you wanted to spend the time and money. That’s the point I was making. They should be made to suffer some dire consequences for this sort of behavior.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Eddie Hazel

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Well, in Indiana they are a little more accountable now.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Dire Straits QOTD song. OT a wee bit, but I like it and cozmo got me started on it. ; ) Its not that far OT though. ; )

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Yeah. I know it happens.
That’s what’s called a “bad cop”.
Guess I haven’t seen it as much as you.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:16 AM

This is what happens when you are sure that you are brilliant. Republicans can easily turn into “acceptable” people. Just pretend that you are a bit smarter than those who voted you in office.
Get this jackass off the stage. He is a RINO now. Just like his brother.

pat on June 12, 2012 at 2:17 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

In the case you described (your incident), the cop should have been (at least) heavily reprimanded. Also, the jurisdiction should have been made to pay for your expenses and lost wages.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Well, in Indiana they are a little more accountable now.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

I live in the county of San Diego California, and believe me, holding them accountable for their actions here is damned near impossible. We are the 6th or 7th largest city in America, if we were a state we would be the 23 most populous state in the country. The cops here in California are just a little shy of Nazi Germany’s Gestapo.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Well, in Indiana they are a little more accountable now.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

The Indiana SC ruling is some really infuriating reading. Obviously these privileged judges have no fear they will ever be subjected to police misconduct, and they don’t give a damn if anyone else is.

I don’t think it will make much difference, from a practical standpoint. But the original ruling was a license for corrupt police to enter the homes of vulnerable citizens at will. It would have removed any concerns officers would have had about accountability for unlawful entries, and they should be concerned.

Consequences are a bitch, whether at the hands of a wronged citizen at the point of error, or in the courtroom later.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

That cop followed me around harassing me for about 5 years after that incident. It only stopped when he finally retired. I tried everything to get him off my back, letters and complaints to the Sheriff, my congressman, the governor, they all basically told me to piss up a rope.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:15 AM

That’s my favorite UH song. I admit I don’t know very many of them, but I like this one the best.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:24 AM

The cops here in California are just a little shy of Nazi Germany’s Gestapo.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Maybe they should never be able to enter a dwelling without serving a search warrant. Some may die at the hands of bad guys, but no one’s liberty will be compromised.

(That sounds snarky–didn’t mean it that way.)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Oh, and you know what provoked that whole incident? I out bid him for the car in question. It was a 1984 corvette and he was trying to haggle with the guy selling it, I paid the asking price. I didn’t even know until later that he was trying to buy it.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Here is one for you. Enjoy the lyrics.

Night y’all.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

(That sounds snarky–didn’t mean it that way.)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

You mean, like the United States Constitution actually says? Heaven forbid that happen…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

‘nite, Bmore.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Night B

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Night y’all.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Night B.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

they all basically told me to piss up a rope.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Wow! There had to be others who complained about him. Did you ever get to see anything on his citizen complaints? Did you go into his station and file complaints in person?

That’s an unfortunate side-effect of the legal system being a Hoover of cash. (I.e. if you were rich, you could’ve gotten it stopped.)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

gotta go. ‘nite, all.

jaime on June 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Night y’all.

Bmore on June 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Cya, Bmore.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Night jaime, thanks for the tunes.

tom daschle concerned on June 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

G’night, Bmore.

I hate it when a comment goes into moderation and I don’t know why.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:29 AM

To Be Alive

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I didn’t even know until later that he was trying to buy it.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Huh. Yeah, probably not a guy who should be carrying around a gun and holding a badge.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

they all basically told me to piss up a rope.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:23 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:28 AM

California is basically a police state. The legal system here suffers from the God complex typical of entrench government employes.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

The Bushies are certainly not too quick on the
uptake are they? We’re sure to get more of this
from Mittens, but this serial lyingbunch has to go,
donuts and a bottle of anything style DLR.
We need a bit of levity, dontchaknow.

This is a death match for the soul of this country.
Persuasion counts. Facts count for little with the
unseeing. I.will.not.stop.

One day, after all the rejoicing upcoming,
nope that’ll be too soon.

I really do need a more endearing way to say all
of this such that all the HotAirians would deem me
acceptable. Nah.

That would be too close to TomFoolery.
This is ‘for keeps’ folks whether you’d like to
come to that conclusion or not.

Over time I would like to become more astute,
researched as to cross reference,
Bear with me and hold on y’all, it’s going to be a
bumpy ride… Heh.

Would I rather be enriching mine and others’ lives?
Er, the pope is Catholic, is he not?

So much in my heart.
With some regret, we bolster each other,
but preaching to the choir isn’t what needs
doing, as I see it. Understood-ness is
for the commentary that helps each and
every one of us — grind along.

Maybe the big turn will happen of its
inertia (there is momentum in inertia).
There are deep divides that can
be bridged.

As far as I am concerned, nothing
is a given, not even being born, though
I am ever thankful that I was.
Hell, yes!
Some things take time.
Other things take a hammer, perhaps,
to pound the awareness into full bloom.

I’ll try again. No frustration but to get
the rest of the trolls to use their brainiac,ack,acks
It’s all there, hiding in plain sight.

The return of wistful, common sense,
will find no better partner than I.

mickytx on June 12, 2012 at 2:32 AM

To Be Alive

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I missed your earlier links.
I think I’d like that one, but I’ll have to bookmark it and give it a listen when I’m not so sleepy. (Need peppy and/or loud. Lol)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

To Be Alive

Words and music by John Kay

I don’t know why you moan and pout
All the world lies at your feet
Like a child you sit and wonder, who’s to blame for your defeat
I have tried to give you comfort
I have lent you a patient ear
Had I known why you’re complaining, I’d have shown you trouble and fear

Gonna take you to the cliff side on a mountain so high
That when you look down, lord you’ll shake and tremble
Afraid to die, afraid to die
Gonna send you the devil when your nightmares arrive
Then when you wake up, lord you’ll feel glad to be alive, to be alive

I don’t know why you moan and pout
All the world lies at your feet
Like a child you sit and wonder, who’s to blame for your defeat
I have tried to give you comfort
I have lent you a patient ear
Had I known why you’re complaining, I’d have shown you trouble and fear

Gonna show you the playground of misery and despair
That you might touch a helpless hand with some compassion
And learn to care, yes learn to care

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Was looking for a different tune, but…

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:37 AM

That’s pretty good, Eric usually is. I was thinking more like this though…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:40 AM

yeah, well, I hope your karma results in a headache at least half as bad as the one I had the last time!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

That’s pretty good, Eric usually is. I was thinking more like this though…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

That is a good one. “Journeyman”, as arnold said a bit ago, was a great album. Do you know “From the Cradle”? Try this one.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Lol. Nah. Just cracking (the final) beer #4. Then into the arms of Morpheus. BTW, if karma is real I got a helluva good time comin’ my way!

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

That sounds great Jeb, except this time let’s reverse the deal and have the spending cuts immediately and hold the tax increases until the second Tuesday of next week, like the Democrats have done to stupid moderate Republicans time after time, ad nauseam.

RJL on June 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

That’s pretty good, Eric usually is. I was thinking more like this though…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:45 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Heh heh heh, I’m was a professional musician (guitar player) back in my 20′s and 30′s, I’ve heard a few Clapton songs… ;p

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I’m only on beer #3. But I lost count of the bourbons…

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

That’s right! Lol. I forgot. You’ve talked about that a few times.

Always wish I’d learned to play an instrument. Too busy with sports as a kid.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Time for Redeye.

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Obama Girl May not vote for Obama!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

I’m only on beer #3. But I lost count of the bourbons…

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Lol.
Hey now!
Don’t be blamin’ me, tomorrow!!

(You guys ever watch HBO’s “The Larry Sander’s Show” w/ Gary Shandling?) That was a pretty good show.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Yeah, it’s all on me, this time!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Ooh–That’s NSFW!!, anyone. Sorry.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 2:55 AM

That’s right! Lol. I forgot. You’ve talked about that a few times.

Always wish I’d learned to play an instrument. Too busy with sports as a kid.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Meh, I was dumb and young and thought I was going to be the worlds greatest Rock Star. Yea… somehow that didn’t quite work out as planned… :O

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Love RedEye, but I watch the clips on the show’s page on FNC website. Probably miss some stuff, but mostly commercials.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Great link! Norm and Gary! Hilarious!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:06 AM

I thought I was going to be a pro “footballer” in England. Didn’t quite work out as planned for me, either. :)

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Two words: Ti Vo

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM

funny how that works, eh…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:10 AM

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Yeppir. I was going to be the first American FIM motocross champion. That didn’t quite work out, either.

PS: Leg chair babe on RedEye is hawt tonight!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Two words: Ti Vo

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:09 AM

Oddly enough, I haven’t bought a DVR, yet. (I have a ton of VCR tapes and DVDs. Kinda like I don’t own an iPod–I have over one hundred CDs. Still, I should probably get a DVR.)

funny how that works, eh…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Yep. Free will or fate? (Lol. Discuss. My feeble attempt to light a fire and leave.)

Seriously, I should probably get to bed, or I’ll be more worthless tomorrow than typical.

I’ll leave you guys with this peppy favorite.

Night SWalker and nova (and lurkers). See ya next time.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:17 AM

PS: Leg chair babe on RedEye is hawt tonight!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I sure hope ya’ll were smarter than me, at 25 I had this crazy notion that it was Rock Star or bust, no back up plan, because a back up plan was just giving yourself permission to fail. Now at 51 I look back at that plan and go, holy cow was that a stupid plan…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

PS: Leg chair babe on RedEye is hawt tonight!

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

The “Leg Chair” is Gutman’s contribution to humanity. (So many hawt conservative women. It gives me hope. Prolly have to move out of MI, though.)

Nite, guys.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Nite, guys.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Night RedCrow…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM

holy cow was that a stupid plan…

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Lol. That’s how kids plan. There’s “Plan A”, and………nothing. (I.e. you were normal.)

Okay, no more tesla-ing for me, tonight.
This is it.
Really.
(I mean it this time.)
Nite.

RedCrow on June 12, 2012 at 3:21 AM

G’night Crow.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

No, I didn’t have a Plan B. Sh** happens, and that is the story of my life…

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

G’night Crow.

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM

No, I didn’t have a Plan B. Sh** happens, and that is the story of my life…

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:27 AM

Well, I’m out for the night now as well, night folks..

SWalker on June 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Walkin’ Blues

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:33 AM

… bunch of drunks — Homer Simpson
In-apropos. Must it be music?
Yep. Being alive is far better than any ordinary bear.
Kudos to ‘Putty (sp)’.
Ordinary.
Haha. ;D

mickytx on June 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

mickytx on June 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

?????

novaculus on June 12, 2012 at 3:44 AM

If y’all are gonna keep to this music thing tightly, then I suppose I’d better pitch in: KILLER. What did I do to deserve such a fate…

In honor of our baby-killer-in-chief:

CLICK HERE FOR CHICAGO JESUS AND HIS WHOLESOME XXXX.

hillbillyjim on June 12, 2012 at 4:29 AM

“Finding some common ground”(with the devil?)

RINO definition of capitulation, folding, giving up, and best of all, bipartisanship. What crapola, what suicidal thinking, that by selling principles and giving into the left’s deadly harmful destruction somehow turns into a virtue….

Don L on June 12, 2012 at 4:44 AM

The whole Bush family is so over. Every time Jeb opens his gaping pie hole he says “you’re a moron if you ever vote for me”. The most useless of a useless family.

swinia sutki on June 12, 2012 at 5:43 AM

Today’s GOP is the girl who cuts herself for attention, the teenage boy who drinks because it’s cool. In other words, it’s dysfunctional.

The GOP is imploding, but it doesn’t care.

madmonkphotog on June 12, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Jeb is just creepy.

I wonder if his wife is still shoplifting !

stenwin77 on June 12, 2012 at 6:34 AM

Slightly off-topic, but has any seen Ann Coulter lately?

SouthernGent on June 11, 2012 at 10:57 PM

On Hannity last night; looked fantastic; has a new book coming out.

Jaibones on June 12, 2012 at 6:35 AM

Bush called the present partisan climate “disturbing.”

This is the thinking that is destroying the nation. This is the kind of thinking responsible for wrecking our country. This kind of thinking has given us the education system we have today, given us ObamaCare, given us the EPA, TSA, open borders, destroyed our auto industry…. all of it. And he’s proud of it.

Keep compromising with the devil and you will eventually end up in hell. Just the way it is. Don’t let this guy or people like him any where near any office of power anymore. They are the enemy to freedom as much as Obama and Pelosi is. In fact, people like this are worse than Obama and Pelosi, because they pretend to be on your side.

JellyToast on June 12, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I would rather we have another hundred Obama’s to deal with than 10 RINO’s standing behind us pretending to be on our side.

JellyToast on June 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM

good morning!

the mj crew in chicago….gotta prop up dear leader no?

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM

mika bringing up the jeb quote this am….

YAWN

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM

good morning!

the mj crew in chicago….gotta prop up dear leader no?

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM

cmsinaz:GoodMorning CMS,I can’t wait for Mika to swoon,
over Rahn Emanual!(sarc):)

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM

No, Jeb. Ronaldus Maximus would have called the Dem into his office. Exchanged pleasantries…told the Dem the way the cow ate the cabbage…offered him a Jelly Belly…and sent him on his way…without the Dem having a clue to what just happened.

kingsjester on June 12, 2012 at 6:58 AM

I don’t have time to read all the postings this AM so here is
my two cents!

Jeb Bush obviously is cut from the same cloth as his dad and brother. Moderates indeed! Why do they want the govt to compromise? In my mind it is the lazy person’s out -
“Let’s just agree on something, get out of here, go to lunch or play some golf” type of thinking.

It is overspending and the growth of government that got us in
this precarious position. Both parties contributed to the problem;
both parties need to stop.

I am sick of the Tea Party being portrayed as extremists. Wanting
the largesse of government along with its addictive spending habits to be reduced is not extremist.

And lastly, if Jeb Bushie is not running for anything, then
shut your piehole and quit criticizing those who are actually
trying to right the wrongs to save this great country. Because
of the internet we can now get the facts, not altered by the
lamestream media, the whacked out libs and the holier than thou
rinos.

Amjean on June 12, 2012 at 7:00 AM

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM

blech, she’s swooning over bill daley now

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM

… bunch of drunks — Homer Simpson
In-apropos. Must it be music?
Yep. Being alive is far better than any ordinary bear.
Kudos to ‘Putty (sp)’.
Ordinary.
Haha. ;D

mickytx on June 12, 2012 at 3:42 AM

What the hell?!?

Flora Duh on June 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I very much doubt it.

No..they could not…and Jeb Bush is right in that Ronald Reagan’s willingness to compromise would be frowned on…but then again Reagan was not dealing with a whole party of people like Pelosi or Obama.

It has been decades since any of these people in government served. Things have changed a lot. There is no real point in debating that. It is just a fact.

Terrye on June 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM

These comparisons are so stupid that they are not worth even paying attention to. No, the jug-eared Kenyan in the White House is not the second coming of Reagan no matter how many times the dog-eating bastard makes that claim. Ronald Reagan had solid conservative values based on thought, reading, and deliberation. Obama- nothing but an empty suit who got through college on affirmative action quotas, has no moral grounding, and really doesn’t stand for much of anything but raw partisan power.

Each President needs to be assessed in his own time not in the present. The challenges are different, the problems that need to be addressed, the national security enviornment, etc. It is meaningless to ponder if FDR would be able to get through a Democrat primary today because he can’t. He has been dead for nearly 70 years which would make things very difficult except for certain inner cities where anything with a D behind their names wins in a walk by low-information voters.

Happy Nomad on June 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM

YAWN

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM

cmsinaz:Check out this op-ed,at your leisure!:)
================================================

Laffer and Moore:
Obama’s Real Spending Record
June 11, 2012, 7:08 p.m. ET
****************************

There’s no way around the facts. Under Presidents Bush and Obama, government exploded as a share of the economy.

The numbers are mind boggling. From the second quarter of 2007, i.e., the first full quarter of a Pelosi-Reid dominated Congress and a politically weakened President Bush, to the second quarter of 2009 when President Obama assumed office, government spending skyrocketed to 27.3% of GDP from 21.4%. It was the largest peacetime expansion of government spending in U.S. history.

After taking office in 2009, with spending and debt already at record high levels and the deficit headed to $1 trillion, President Obama proceeded to pass his own $830 billion stimulus, auto bailouts, mortgage relief plans, the Dodd-Frank financial reforms and the $1.7 trillion ObamaCare entitlement (which isn’t even accounted for in the chart). While spending did come down in 2010, it wasn’t the result of spending cuts but rather because TARP loans began to be repaid, and that cash was counted against
spending.
(more……)
=============

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 7:05 AM

bill daley has the wh talking points down

those evil GOP congress won’t let the president get anything through and mitt cannot lead…

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM

What the hell?!?

Flora Duh on June 12, 2012 at 7:03 AM

I remember when I had my first beer…

kingsjester on June 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM

good morning!

the mj crew in chicago….gotta prop up dear leader no?

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 6:44 AM

Good morning. I hope they’re all wearing bulletproof vests.

*waving hello to*

canopfor, KJ, Amjean, and the lurkers.

Flora Duh on June 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 6:55 AM

blech, she’s swooning over bill daley now

cmsinaz on June 12, 2012 at 7:02 AM

cmsinaz:Oh gawd,oh ya,he looks sooooooooooo refreshed!:)

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 7:07 AM

*waving hello to*

canopfor, KJ, Amjean, and the lurkers.

Flora Duh on June 12, 2012 at 7:06 AM

Flora Duh:Back at ya,”SunShine State”!:)

canopfor on June 12, 2012 at 7:08 AM