New savior of Al Gore’s Current TV: Joy Behar

posted at 8:01 pm on June 11, 2012 by Allahpundit

They hired Olby with an eye to creating an angrier, more activist, more, um, “intellectual” version of MSNBC in hopes of capturing the edgy young liberal audience for whom Lawrence O’Donnell and Rachel Maddow simply aren’t pompous and hyperpartisan enough.

So naturally, their first big hire after he leaves is a borscht-belt-style comedian turned “View” co-host.

Dude?

Beginning this September, Joy Behar, Emmy® award winning talk show host, will make her return to primetime on Current TV’s new hour-long series. “The Joy Behar Show” (working title) will air nightly Monday through Thursday at 6pm ET and will repeat later the same evening in primetime. The timely and topical series will showcase Behar’s trademark sense of humor and unique brand of conversation and provide her with a platform to discuss the latest headlines, pop culture events and anything else that comes to mind.

Featuring a regular rotating ensemble of journalists, analysts and political satirists the program will focus on political events, social issues and relevant topics that impact the American zeitgeist. Her ensemble cast, title and premiere date will be announced later this summer…

“Joy Behar is a beloved veteran television personality with her finger on the pulse of what viewers care about,” commented Current TV Chairman and former Vice President Al Gore. “Millions of Americans tune in daily to hear her take on the issues along with her inimitable style. We are honored that Current TV will be Joy’s new primetime home.”

The new line-up will be Behar, Cenk Uygur, Eliot Spitzer, and Jennifer Granholm, which is dreadful as a four-hour block of political television but might not be half bad as the nucleus of an awful-yet-compulsively-watchable left-wing variety show. Joy in the Joan Rivers host role, Cenk as affable Andy Richter-esque sidekick, Granholm as the straight (wo)man, and Client Number Nine as some sort of Dean Martin figure wandering the set with drink in hand and firing off double entendres to the audience’s delight. Magical.

Exit question: If they were in the market for an obnoxious left-wing woman comic, why didn’t they go for the gold with one of the two Rosies? Lord knows, they’ve got the right outlook for Current.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

LOL!

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I’m sure all 5 people that watch will be incredibly impressed.

gsherin on June 11, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Future headline: “New Current TV show finishes behind color bar test pattern in ratings race”

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2012 at 8:04 PM

hopes of capturing the edgy young liberal audience

Hmmm.
‘Edgy’ is a synonym for breathtakingly and willfully ignorant and clueless?
I did not know that.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 11, 2012 at 8:06 PM

What’s she going to do the first time the lights go out in the studio?

Mark1971 on June 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Doesn’t that just grab you! Can’t wait to miss it!

Client Number Nine

Ha-Ha! Good one!

rickv404 on June 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

With Joyless and Granholm, they’ve cornered the market on harpies.

Philly on June 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Current is still on the air? Heh…

Laura Curtis on June 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Why not throw Randi Rhoads in the mix also.Air America on steroids.I give Joyless 6 months.

jeffinsjvca on June 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Maybe I should take the time to find out what channel Current TV (or if I even have it) or NOT!

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

HUHHHHH????

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Yes, a shrill, vulgar, loudmouth yenta will get a huge audience…

Rixon on June 11, 2012 at 8:10 PM

That overpaid trollop could lose 10 pounds by showering off her makeup.

MelonCollie on June 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Nobody, but nobody, snarks like AP.

TexasDan on June 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

One of the reasons I’m glad I don’t have a tv. Ick!

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

If by beloved you mean “irritating,” then it is the truth.

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

jeffinsjvca on June 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I used to listen to her show when Air America was still on the radio. Remember the episode where she was hammered and fell? She said she was mugged…

Air America Radio host Randi Rhodes is temporarily off the air, but cops and her lawyer say reports she was mugged near her Manhattan apartment were bogus.

Fellow host Jon Elliott said on the liberal network that Rhodes was attacked at 39th St. and Park Ave. on Sunday night while walking her dog, Simon.

Elliott, who said Rhodes lost several teeth in the attack, waxed about a possible conspiracy.

“Is this an attempt by the right-wing hate machine to silence one of our own?” he asked on the air, according to the Talking Radio blog. “Are we threatening them?”

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/air-america-host-randi-rhodes-mugged-article-1.230682#ixzz1xX7lSWxJ

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Joy’s mind? If that’s the case, it will be a two week gig.

Cody1991 on June 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Why? Did the bag of dirt want too much money?

rbj on June 11, 2012 at 8:12 PM

good allah the proggslims have nothing but retreads.

newrouter on June 11, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Even in that picture she’d scare the crows away in any garden.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

If Gore wanted to increase ratings, he would televise John Batchelor.

crosspatch on June 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Nobody, but nobody, snarks like AP.

TexasDan on June 11, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Allahpundit is so snarky sometimes I think he also writes this blog. Equally as snarky writer except with celeb “news.”

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Current picks up more washed up veterans than the Redskins do.

stldave on June 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

taht shows just how washed up those 2 are when they cant get a show on currentv

chasdal on June 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

One of the two Rosies is running for President. She’s to the left of Zero, if that’s even possible.

cat_owner on June 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Seriously…how is this channel still in operation? Gotta be some Soros money flowing in somehow. No way this cesspool is even coming close to breaking even.

AUINSC on June 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

You got a future in the Programming Department, kid! Run with it!!

/tvexec

JohnGalt23 on June 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Ha… they locked the comments on that link.

princetrumpet on June 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

…Jennifer GrandMole?…after 8 years of ruining the state of Michigan…she gets to wreck a TV show too? Good times…good times! So glad that she is gone!

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Current picks up more washed up veterans than the Redskins do.

stldave on June 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

And less successful than the Charlotte Bobcats.

50sGuy on June 11, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I’m seeing a future Jeapordy category with this list….”Current TV hackosity”, or something similar.

MTF on June 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Wow who wouldnt want to watch this obnoxious loudmouth Yiddish hag?

ObamatheMessiah on June 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I’ve heard of it on blogs but I’ve never seen Current TV. Who actually carries it?

iceman1960 on June 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Wow who wouldnt want to watch this obnoxious loudmouth Yiddish hag?

ObamatheMessiah on June 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

She’s not Jewish.

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

“Joy Behar is a beloved veteran television personality with her finger on the pulse of what viewers care about,” commented Current TV Chairman and former Vice President Al Gore.”

Beloved? By whom, a blind man without hands and a sense of smell?

A finger on the pulse … ? Which finger, the one she pleasures herself with, her only option at sex, or the middle one, perhaps the same, which she gives to anyone attempting to be civil.

I just hope in makeup they have someone willing to shave her back.

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Beloved? By whom, a blind man without hands and a sense of smell?

She also has the most annoying voice. So I’m guessing she’s beloved in the deaf community.

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I don’t even know if my cable provider carries this crap. It will probably stay that way.

taternuggets on June 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Joyless is Helen Thomas’ long lost daughter…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

AlGore [Manbearpig] has a TV network??

Not just that closed-circuit thing he has hooked up to his front door?

Behar get tossed off the View?

Is this of any real importance?

Thought so.

coldwarrior on June 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

ObamatheMessiah on June 11, 2012 at 8:18 PM

She’s not Jewish.

terryannonline on June 11, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Funny though if one had to guess…Jewish would be the guess.

CW on June 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Should be good for a few palette cleansers =)

Ugly on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Current TV?

How long before they change the name to the more accurate

Train-wreck TV

CalFed on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Joyless is Helen Thomas’ long lost daughter…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Imagine yourself forever deserted on an island with those two and a pistol with only one bullet in it. I know which option I’d choose.

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What she is for sure is a nasty religious bigot.

CW on June 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Joy Behar is a beloved veteran television personality with her finger on the pulse of what viewers care about,” commented Current TV Chairman and former Vice President Al Bore.

Awesome , sounds like it’ll *yawn* be such thrilling, and exciting telezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………..

cableguy615 on June 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What’s that saying about two birds?

CW on June 11, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Yeah..saw this earlier. I got AOL for my homepage…yeah, I know. They had a headline thing “Glen Beck signs huge contract” (100 million over 5 years) and a few spaces down the had ‘Joy Behar making MAJOR network move!!’

..To Current..where washed up liberal hacks go to die….

BigWyo on June 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Joy Behar is a ghoul. She looks like a ghoul and (I hear) she smells like a ghoul. And she definitely has a ghoulish figure from that last corpse she ate.

jaime on June 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I know which option I’d choose.

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I would too, if it wasn’t against my Christian faith…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Maybe she can have Valerie Harper on again.

SouthernGent on June 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I would too, if it wasn’t against my Christian faith…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Yeah, taking Behar would offend my Christian faith as well.

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Call me a stickler for tradition but Joyless is a comedienne and not a comedian.

Charlemagne on June 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

We should all be thankful Liberals have no clue how to put someone up who can actually communicate the liberal message, without all the hate and vitriol. Current has to be the worst of the worst, in this regard. ABC has had Granholm on a few times and I’m surprised Michigan was in any shape at all, by the time she left. I think, being a Canadian, she really has a difficult time grasping capitalism.

I’ll bet this goes the way of Air America, which survived until after the 2004 election, with a ton of help. THey keep this afloat, until after 2012, and then it will bite the dust. They have to get their message out, ya know.

bflat879 on June 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

New savior of Al Gore’s Current TV: Joy Behar

Yeah….that’ll do it.

Haven’t even read the article.

“Current TV – Where the Inmates Have Run the Asylum Since Our Inception”.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Behar get tossed off the View?

Is this of any real importance?

Thought so.

coldwarrior on June 11, 2012 at 8:27 PM

She got fired from Headline News.

RickB on June 11, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Charlemagne on June 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

She’s a flack, a hack, a shill, and a classless lout. Comedienne? I don’t know about that.

jaime on June 11, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Outstanding.

This is the kind of leadership I expect out of the Goracle.

This isn’t so much Lean Forward as Dive Into The Dumpster. (Which I’ve trademarked, so watch it Al…).

CorporatePiggy on June 11, 2012 at 8:42 PM

bflat879 on June 11, 2012 at 8:37 PM

That’s a trick question because it’s impossible to do. Liberalism is nothing but hate and vitriol.

jaime on June 11, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Charlemagne on June 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

The test results are back?

de rigueur on June 11, 2012 at 8:46 PM

…dreadful as a four-hour block of political television but might not be half bad as the nucleus of an awful-yet-compulsively-watchable left-wing variety show. Joy in the Joan Rivers host role, Cenk as affable Andy Richter-esque sidekick, Granholm as the straight (wo)man, and Client Number Nine as some sort of Dean Martin figure wandering the set with drink in hand and firing off double entendres to the audience’s delight. Magical.

Darn you, AllahP. I nearly did an ice tea spit-take all over the monitor and keyboard.

FlatFoot on June 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM

More people believe that Elvis is eating in a diner in Minnesota right now or aliens are walking down 5th Avenue than Americans, who could actually find CurrentTV…with the channel guide.

Resist We Much on June 11, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The farther this fatuous, bloviating blowhard gets from any sort of mainstream attention, the better.

ProfShadow on June 11, 2012 at 8:57 PM

So, with that lineup, I guess they’ve locked up the New York metrosexuals, the Michigan Teachers’ Union, the Palestinians, AND the Little Debbie Snacking Cakes audience.

Aardvark on June 11, 2012 at 9:00 PM

If I ever feel like listening to an hour of pterodactyl screeching, I know what channel to watch. Thanks Allah.

stout77 on June 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Translation: MSNBC is getting desperate! Bet it lasts less than a month.

GarandFan on June 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Behar = obama in drag and white-face.

Pork-Chop on June 11, 2012 at 9:18 PM

I’m an old Navy man and a battleship is never a flagship.

NoDonkey on June 11, 2012 at 9:19 PM

What??!! She’s not Jewish? There’s even a Torah portion called Behar. (It means, “on the mount,” as in Sinai.) Hmmm, lets’ see, through the magic of Wikipedia, “Her mother, Rose (née Carbone), was a seamstress, and her father, Gino Occhiuto, was a truck driver for Coca-Cola.” Occhiuto/Carbone. Eeeehhhh, not Jewish. She married a guy name Behar. But she did grow up in the Williamsburg district of Brooklyn, which is def a Jewish hood, and like Colin Powell, she probably picked up the mama-loshen (Yiddish for “mother tongue”) from there. Wow. Joy Behar not Jewish. And all this time I’ve been feeling so guilty . . . I think I’m going to go to synagogue and light a candle (except we don’t really do that).

smellthecoffee on June 11, 2012 at 9:22 PM

But in the end, aren’t we glad that these idiots are wasting millions of their own dollars on this ineffectual drivel?

ktrich on June 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Current TV:

A retirement home for 2nd-rate liberal pundits, all of whom have previously beclowned themselves nationally.

Saving us a fortune in SS, medicare, medicaid and homeless shelters.

Thank you Current.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Sarah and Joy in the same timeslot. Who gets the viewers?

News2Use on June 11, 2012 at 9:27 PM

What’s she going to do the first time the lights go out in the studio?

Mark1971 on June 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Better question: What a re we going to do the first time the lights come on in the studio?

pain train on June 11, 2012 at 9:29 PM

insert 2nd chakra joke here

phreshone on June 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM

That’s one ugly dude…

… What’s his name, Joey?

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

GarandFan on June 11, 2012 at 9:15 PM

You know Current TV =/= MSNBC.

Right?

pain train on June 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Here’s something funny about Current TV: I know I have it on my cable package–I saw the logo on the screen one time while looking for a hockey game. I have absolutely no idea what channel number it is. (Could be in the hundreds, or maybe three hundreds…Heh.)

RedCrow on June 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

RedCrow on June 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

It’s one to tune in when you want to feel special.

Like….”I’m one of eight people in all of the world watching this right now”.

(sadly, that includes the studio crew)

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 9:46 PM

Al Gore, Olbermann, Granholm, Cenk Uygar, Client Number 9 and now Joy Behar? I guess Current are true believers in Cash For Clunkers.

fitzfong on June 11, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I won’t be getting my science fron Joy Bezoar. Seriously. Ack, ack, ack.

Allahs vulva on June 11, 2012 at 10:07 PM

New savior of Al Gore’s Current TV: Joy Behar

When I read the headline, I thought, uh, so Joy Behar has some serious cash she going to invest in Current TV? Not, that she would host a show. Let me know how that turns out

or not.

Wallythedog on June 11, 2012 at 10:09 PM

LOLOL, OMG…

Midas on June 11, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Charlemagne on June 11, 2012 at 8:36 PM

There’s no way you can *know* that.

And I take issue with the ‘comedy’ implication in either case.

Midas on June 11, 2012 at 10:17 PM

TXUS on June 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Drowning?

kim roy on June 11, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Current has pretty much turned into the LaBrea Tar Pits for liberal TV show hosts — the place where the old dinosaurs go to sink into the goop of the 600 level on the digital channel dial, never to be seen again.

jon1979 on June 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Confirmed. Al Gore has pretty much lost it. And to think this crazy fool almost became President. As disappointing as Bush was, this guy would have been much more dangerous.

Hummer53 on June 11, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Sorry, I fell asleep halfway into the first paragraph

davo on June 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Late to the thread, but that was just about the best bit of snark I’ve read in a long time. I’m still laughing.

AZfederalist on June 11, 2012 at 10:58 PM

What’s she going to do the first time the lights go out in the studio?

Mark1971 on June 11, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Blame Palin.

msupertas on June 11, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Beloved? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

sgtstogie on June 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

“Current TV: Because the MSNBC rejects have to go somewhere.”

I never watch, don’t even have it on my channel list, but it was Free HBO weekend so I had it on “All Channels” and spotted a new one that was never announced: FSTV – “Free Speech TV,” so I thought maybe there was a libertarian channel.

Nope. It’s dedicated to keeping up with the OWS movement and discussing their issues. Haven’t had the stomach to watch it yet. But usually DirectTV announces all new channels, no matter how small their niche, and they didn’t send me anything on this one. Guess you have to be in the club and know the secret sign.

Adjoran on June 11, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Can’t believe Al TV is still in business. Must be funded by Soros or something.

Christian Conservative on June 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

trademark sense of humor and unique brand of conversation horribly unfunny misanthropic gag lines and foul-mouthed screechings from this ugly, old, miserable hag.

Call me a stickler for tradition but Joyless is a comedienne and not a comedian

Well, actually she is neither.

Ozwitch on June 12, 2012 at 12:13 AM

I’m an old Navy man and a battleship is never a flagship.

LOL

gkaz on June 12, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Can’t believe Al TV is still in business. Must be funded by Soros or something.

Christian Conservative on June 12, 2012 at 12:10 AM

No, it’s Al. After losing in 2000, Google and a couple other tech companies put him on their boards, paying him in stock options and letting him in on their IPOs, and he made nearly $1 billion off that alone. Beats working for a living.

Adjoran on June 12, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Heh,…Current TV.

I tried to turn to it once, but the TV started laughing and grabbed the remote from me.

98ZJUSMC on June 12, 2012 at 3:13 AM

I’m thrilled – thrilled – that they’re willing to toss so much money down a rathole. It’s that much less going to politics.

Prufrock on June 12, 2012 at 6:33 AM