New Romney TV spot keeps hitting Obama on “fine”

posted at 8:41 am on June 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Team Romney already produced one web ad this weekend that focused on Barack Obama’s assertion that “the private sector is doing fine,” a mash-up of previously-aired anecdotes from long-term unemployed people culled from previous Romney ads.  This morning, the Romney campaign released a 60-second, ready-for-TV spot titled “Jolt” that takes a more macro look at the economy, especially in light of the latest jobs report, and asks — again — if we’ve ever had a President this out of touch:

Kevin McCullough asked the same question in his Townhall column this weekend, and wonders whether that’s why Obama holds so few press conferences:

One of the reasons, I’m earnestly convinced, that President Obama does so few press briefings in recent days is partly due to the fact that he does not seem to be able to appear without demonstrating a considerable distance between himself, and “the little people.” He has demonstrated this in his positions on fiscal issues, the manipulation of our national defense–and access for Hollywood insiders, and even every day American moral values. Bottom line: the king has no clothes.

His attempt to back pedal later on Friday was all spin to save face, and to not take a blow in this tightening election cycle in which normally blue states like Wisconsin, Michigan, North Carolina, and Colorado–maybe even California are all coming into play for the GOP. But don’t be confused–he believes he created jobs, he’s done his part, and he has a tee time at 4pm.

Perhaps the most “out-of-touch” assertion ever issued by a sitting President, has also sealed–at least for Obama–the reality, that he is also… finally… for the good of America…

Out-of-time.

On that note, Michael Tomasky asked why Obama held a press conference at all.  Was there some news he needed to break?  Looking past the “fine” gaffe, Tomasky sees nothing of consequence at all in Obama’s statement.  Obama may be out of touch and out of time, but he is definitely out of gas:

Anyway, the bigger problem with Obama’s press conference was that there wasn’t any news in Obama’s prepared remarks. This really makes me shake my head. If you’re going to call a press conference, you have to give beat reporters something new. New is the root of news. If you don’t say something new, a misstatement is bound to dominate, or an answer to an off-message question. In this case, his response on the national-security leaks would have probably led the stories—as it did Daniel Stone’s Beast report. Not as bad as a gaffe, from the spin-room point of view, but also not what they wanted to put out there.

At bottom, then, the press conference reflected the general drift that Clift described. The White House doesn’t have an argument right now. Ever since the jobs report, Romney’s got all the momentum. The White House has tried but then dropped arguments, as I wrote earlier this week, and it sounds a little whiny and ineffectual when Obama urges Congress to pass something that everybody knows Congress isn’t going to pass. And by the way, he ought at least to say “Republicans,” not “Congress.” I’m sure there are risks associated with sounding too partisan, but to me, he has little choice but to lump Romney and the GOP Congress together.

It’s not the first time that Obama has convened a presser with nothing much to say; in fact, he does that more often than not.  That creates a situation where an anticlimax ends up being your best-case scenario, and “the private sector is doing fine” closer to the other end of the spectrum.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What about my two favorites, Hondav65 and angryed?; they both seemed, at first to despise RINOism (a worthy goal) but then it consumed them to the point of wishing for a Obama victory.

thebrokenrattle on June 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I would add “ddrintin and alwaysfiredup” to that list.

Both seem to think that Romney is the white Obama. And if you tell them you’re a conservative who supports Romney to beat Obama, then that just makes you another Rombot.

Guess Mark Levin, Beck, Rush, Santorum, Palin, and Rand Paul are all Rombots as well!

LevinFan on June 11, 2012 at 11:13 AM

When my wife says things are fine, I know I’m in BIG TROUBLE.

joepub on June 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

thebrokenrattle on June 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I don’t know about Hondav65, but I would put angryed in the same category as steve. He has never left a single comment I can remember that critiqued the man or the administration of President Obama. What I fear is that the rhetoric of the primaries will continue. One of the better commenters here, (now in this thread) LevinFan, was called every name in the book for voicing concerns. Now the primaries are over and it’s clear, Romney doesn’t have a bigger supporter than him. But you still see trash talk about the other primary candidates that just drives one nuts. It’s not necessary or productive.

Not everyone here claiming to be Republican or Conservative really is.

hawkdriver on June 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Honda is mad.

I can understand why he doesn’t care for Romney, but something else ramped it up.

Otherwise he is still decent. Or just curmudgeonly.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Concerns and constant pessimism are two different things.

kickandswimmom has concerns: not a troll
steveangell thinks Romney is to the left of Obama : troll

thebrokenrattle on June 11, 2012 at 10:59 AMsteveangell thinks Romney is to the left of Obama : troll

thebrokenrattle on June 11, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Steveangell thinks Romney is A MARXIST : loon

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The koolaid is not as quenching as it once was.

Flora Duh on June 11, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Flora Duh:I still maintain,its diluted Donkey Pee!
(sarc):)

canopfor on June 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

On that note, Michael Tomasky asked why Obama held a press conference at all. Was there some news he needed to break?

Of note, Europe is kind of in crisis and he mentioned this in his conference, in fact it was central to it. He was talking about how our economy depends on Europe and how it will hurt us if Europe gets hit.

Now Spanish banks are getting a bailout, and it’s only beginning there.

Theory: Obama is preparing the ground for Geithner and T-Tax Timmy to bail out Europe in a mega-TARP under the premise that we have to do it to “save the world.” People are getting distracted by his “fine” comment and missing the more ominous central message of his conference.

Discuss.

nerdbert on June 11, 2012 at 12:00 PM

It amazes me that this clown somehow thinks stimulus for teachers, cops, and firefighters going to local governments is somehow going to grow the economy.

He talks about jobs, and only mentions government/public-sector jobs.

I sincerely believe he thinks that the private sector is doing fine. Seems he REALLY does think: “If we could just grow government jobs this economy would catch fire!!”

Someone mail this guy a clue…..wait…nevermind, he’s already got a pink slip on the way.

goflyers on June 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Not everyone here claiming to be Republican or Conservative really is.

hawkdriver on June 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Thanks man !

It’s my motto to fight as hard as I can in the primary and then to defeat the left in the General.

I still strongly disagree with many of the Romney supporters but I strongly believe Romney is a million times better than Obama.

It amazes me to be called a Rombot after fighting him so hard in the primary.

LevinFan on June 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Bad ad, methink. Jittery or something. Doesn’t get attention, little impact. Back to the drawing board on this! Seriously.

anotherJoe on June 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

When my wife says things are fine, I know I’m in BIG TROUBLE.

joepub on June 11, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Join the crowd. Told her the other day that she was really “a decent wife” and she got mad—-said that just means OK. I replied no if I meant it that way I would have said “so-so.”

arnold ziffel on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Fine.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

arnold ziffel on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I have a woman as a roommate. I’ve been told “fine” isn’t an answer I’m allowed to give anymore.

You’re a man; so “fine” doesn’t mean “perfectly acceptable and I’m content”.

“Fine” means “I’m not paying attention to what you’re saying”.

If you don’t have more of an answer than “fine” you’re in trouble. Also, “OK” same thing.

Women… they’re like the math teacher who wants you to show your work; show HOW you got to your answer, not just what the answer is.

Maybe with another few decades of study I’ll learn something else useful about women I can share.

gekkobear on June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

gekkobear on June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Can’t live with em and can’t live without—-sometimes I’m tempted though.

arnold ziffel on June 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Let’s all hope that Obama does equally “fine” in the November elections!

RJL on June 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

New Romney TV spot keeps hitting Obama on “fine”

As he should. Obama is so out of touch it is dangerous.

CW on June 11, 2012 at 5:47 PM

At least this time he didn’t leave Bubba in charge and let him talk about what a stellar business career Romney had at Bain.

flytier on June 11, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Oh my! How dare that mean nasty Mormon attack President Jeff Spicoli and the White House Choom Gang for saying that the private sector is ‘fine’ economically.

olesparkie on June 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM