Jewish support for Obama evaporating?

posted at 10:41 am on June 11, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This can’t be right.  Barack Obama says he knows more about Judaism than any other President before him, despite all evidence to the contrary.  However, The Hill reports that a recent Gallup survey shows a double-digit erosion in his support among Jewish voters, a potential red flag for his re-election prospects:

President Obama’s support has dropped by double digits among Jewish voters from 2008, but he still earns more than double the support of challenger Mitt Romney among American Jews, according to a new survey from Gallup.

The president is the choice of 64 percent of Jewish registered voters, versus 29 percent for Romney. But that equates to a 10-point drop for Obama among Jewish voters from November 2008, and a six-point pick up for Republicans. And while some of that can be explained by Obama’s slipping numbers across all demographics, the rate at which Jewish voters are defecting from the Obama campaign — and signaling support for Romney — exceeds national averages.

Romney has put considerable pressure on Obama for the Jewish vote:

Romney has made a major play for Jewish voters this cycle, criticizing the president’s stance on Israel and playing up his relationship with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The men have known each other for nearly four decades, when they both worked at a Boston-area consulting firm together.

Still, Obama carries a 35-point lead among Jewish voters who could play an important role in November’s contest. Since April, 83 percent of Jewish voters surveyed by Gallup say they definitely will vote, exceeding the national average of 78 percent among all registered voters.

Some of this could be attributed to Obama’s demonstrations of hostility towards Netanyahu (and perhaps Netanyahu’s responses to them), as well as a perception that Obama favors the Palestinians.  Obama fumbled the American side of the negotiations early in his presidency by inexplicably making housing expansion in Jerusalem a make-or-break issue, a point that the Palestinians hadn’t made.  Once done, though, the Palestinians couldn’t retreat from Obama’s position, and the change has made further negotiations impossible.  Obama then made it worse the next year by demanding a return to pre-1967 lines, a position Israel wants to reserve for direct and serious negotiations rather than a starting point.

The incompetence in which Obama has handled the Israeli-Palestinian conflict might not be the only problem for Obama among Jewish voters.  Many religious leaders in the Jewish community have joined Catholics and other Christians in opposing the HHS mandate for contraception and sterilization, especially in its application to religious schools, charities, and health-care providers.  The Rabbinical Council of America, the largest organization of rabbis in the US, officially resolved itself against the HHS mandate a month ago and has been vocal about its opposition ever since.  That was not entirely done out of ecumenical brotherhood (although that was certainly one of the motivations), but also because the HHS mandate will force Orthodox Jewish organizations to violate their own tenets of faith:

There are many cases in which the HHS regulation would coerce a Jewish employer into violating his conscience. Perhaps the most readily apparent problem from an Orthodox Jewish perspective is the regulation’s requirement that sterilization procedures be offered by employer-provided health insurance plans. (Jewish law usually prohibits sterilization.) The regulation also mandates that employer-provided plans provide their employees with a drug called Ella. Ella can be taken several days after conception and therefore cannot honestly be called a contraceptive, which by definition prevents conception. It is actually an abortifacient, a drug which causes an abortion. While abortion is a complicated topic in Jewish law, it has been generally prohibited by Jewish authorities from the most rational to the most mystical, from Maimonides (Code of Maimonides, Laws of Kings 9:4) to the Kabbalah’s most famous work, the Zohar (Exodus 3b). Even actual contraceptives are only allowed in certain circumstances. Some contraceptive methods are simply prohibited. In these circumstances the regulation would require an Orthodox Jewish employer to break the law, violate his conscience, or shut down his business. The government should not force this choice upon any American.

The regulation intrudes on religious liberties even in situations where the underlying drugs are religiously permitted. The circumstances in which Jewish law allows these drugs are complex and dictated by specific conditions. A mandate that requires an employer to distribute these drugs in every situation, without rabbinic guidance, intrudes on the relationship between rabbi and congregant. The Free Exercise and Establishment clauses of the First Amendment were intended to protect that very relationship from governmental interference. The Orthodox Jewish position involves nuance, and the administration’s refusal to grant religious waivers sends a clear message that nuance in this area is not welcome. Refusal to amend the regulation would send a clear message that these Orthodox beliefs are illegitimate and undeserving of basic constitutional protection.

This looks like a problem for Obama that crosses all lines of faith.  In the latest one-week totals from Gallup’s tracking poll on presidential approval, approval among those who attend religious services on a weekly basis has dropped to 36%, the lowest it has been since January — before the announcement of the HHS mandate.

Obama will still win the Jewish vote, and probably handily.  However, Romney has already narrowed the gap, and if Obama doesn’t change direction on the HHS mandate and/or repair his approach to Israel, he’s not going to get the kind of enthusiasm and activism he needs to overcome his deficits in other demographic categories, or win wide victory he needs to win the overall election.

Update: Jeff Dunetz says this will matter in critical states like Florida, Ohio, and Pennsylvania — but not nearly as much as the damage Obama has done to his standing among Catholics.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 11:08 AM

annoyinglittlejewishtwerp.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Lol :)….hopefully this shuts up for a while the one with many consonanantsnin his silly handle…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

You don’t think Muslim background and Indonesia have anything in common? I can tell you I do.

Voter from WA State on June 11, 2012 at 12:03 PM

Just because it is the most populous mozlem nation on earth doesn’t mean it’s culture is islamic.

/////////

CorporatePiggy on June 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

ddrintn,

What’s your problem with annoyinglittletwerp?
You’re hammering him awfully hard.

I’m not a regular here…I pop in from time to time but simply don’t have the time to spend all day commenting here. I’m lucky if I get enough time for a 5 to 10 minute read of the main topics covered here at HA.

So I get that he seems to repeat he’s a Jewish conservative a lot, and that you’re annoyed by it.

If you keep pounding him, you may convince him the rest of us are schu*ks and to return back to the largely liberal dimocratic Jewish fold.

Maybe he’s just periodically announcing it to people like me who only drop in from time to time.

I think you oughta lay off him already.

Just IMHO.

Yiwen on June 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Yiwen on June 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

ALT is a she, not a he…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Sigh…

Its not the size that matters. Ever hear of Bill Maher? Leibowitz? George Soros? Hollywood? New York City? Los Angeles? Chicago?

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Sigh…

Yes, as a matter of fact I have heard of them. All of them, and more.

Four points, though:

1) None of those people are going to vote for anyone other than Obama.

2) even if they did, their votes count only once.

3) Jon Stewart’s lack of enthusiasm has nothing to do with his Jewish-ness. He’s just bummed that Obama turned out to be an amateurish loser and, if anything, not liberal enough when it comes to things like Israel.

4)ll the other individuals you named are going full-tilt for Obama. They’re hardly abandoning him.

greggriffith on June 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You know why Hillary was a Senator? Hassidic Jews in NY (most are not fans of Israel, of course).

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 11:51 AM

That’ was then, things changed a lot in Brooklyn since ….may I remind you that the same Hassidic Jews put the Republican ROb TUrner in office in the special elections of Sep 2011 …And that was a traditionally democratic seat, not only that he won it, he won it 54% to 46%….if I remember well, ED Koch, the ex Democrat mayor (and JEwish too) crossed party lines then too and supported Turner….

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

ALT is a she, not a he…

OmahaConservative on June 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

And she is very annoying.

She’s also Jewish, but you’d never know.

;)

CorporatePiggy on June 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Yiwen on June 11, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Thanks for defending me-but I’m a SHE….and I’ve never been a dim. I voted for Perot in ’92(I was 22-plz cut me some slack)but otherwise have voted straight GOP @ the national level. I consider myself to be rather ‘conservatarian’.
*grins*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

I am probably the only one in my entire family who ever voted for any Republican presidential candidate (except for my father who once told me he’d voted for Willkie). A lot of this sort of thing has to do with the East European versus German Jewish divide. The German Jews who immigrated after 1848 not only came from a part of Europe then experiencing modernization, they acculturated here during the Gilded Age; the much more numerous Poles, Galicians, Litvaks and other primarily shtetl Jews did so in the high progresssive/social revølutionary era. Incidentally, my mother’s father was born in Germany — and probably not coincidentally was the only one in the family of that (pre-WWI) generation of Halperns and Maislers who actually became an entrepreneur of sorts as opposed to a tradesman, teacher or civil servant. But according to my mother, her Litvak mother warned her never to make the mistake she’d made of marrying a German!

Seth Halpern on June 11, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Love this post, my paternal grandmother was from a high German Jewish family and my grandfather was a poor Pole who came over on the boat in 1900. She died when my father was very young, so he was mostly influenced by his father. She was one of eight children, most of whom had long lives, and his cousins were much more German-influenced than him. It was always very interesting to me. I had not considered this divide applying politically, but I suppose it does. BTW, my family are all Southern Jews, an even more interesting subset. (“Country Jews,” as my dad used to say.)

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Voter from WA State on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

ddrintn once accused me of being a ‘Trig-truther’ and said that I need to quit lying about how I wasn’t one. *glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

My dad’s family(his dad was born in the Pale) were somewhat aristocratic. My father liked to point out that I had a great-something that was a baron. Whatever. The guns @ Babi Yar weren’t much interested in parsing titles.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

ddrintn was a HUGE Palin supporter. Was just SURE Palin would run for President and blow everyone else out of the water.

Voter from WA State on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

When did I EVER say anything close to that? Show me.

Voter from WA State on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Again, show me where I ever typed that.

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

From one whose handle is loaded with consonants. The picking at usernames is the last refuge of the dolt.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Barons and whatnots in the shtetls?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Voter from WA State on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Too ddr-too- many-consonants in his nick :) anybody who disagrees with palin is a trig-truther :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Again making fun of a username and relying on an outright lie. Ooh, ow. Zowie.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM

The chutzpah of the 29% of Jewish voters who plan on voting against the first Jewish President, who knows more about Judaism than any president before him, is unbelievable.

And so is the fact that I typed that and only laughed 2 times.

In all seriousness though, what are the other 71% thinking?

milcus on June 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Barons and whatnots in the shtetls?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Not every Jew was a ‘shetl’ Jew. Evidentially there were some court Jews in my family.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Do you like Kinky Friedman, by any chance?

Bizarro No. 1 on June 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I think we can grant that obama doesn’t have the support of all the jews.
p.s. orthodox judiasm believes in individual rights, so it supports capitalism.

eliyahug on June 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Barons and whatnots in the shtetls?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Jewish aristocrats? In the Pale of Settlement? Those were about as plentiful as aristocrats were among my Scottish ancestors in the Borders. And yeah, the Pale was largely a collection of shtetls.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Shortly after Palin decided not to run, I was getting angry about something that had been said about Trig-and you accused me of being a long-time Trig Truther,I guess because I was glad that she made the right decision not to run. I found many past statements of mine that put YOUR remark to the lie.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The picking at usernames is the last refuge of the dolt.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Yeah, while picking on people’s ethnicity and religious background is the refuge of the ‘genius’” aka imbecile with nothing else to say…and btw it’s ‘picking at usernames’ not ”the picking of usernames’ – funny how a non-native speaker of English for whom said language is the second foreign language has figured that out and the native one from TN hasn’t :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

How many “potential red flags for his re-election” come up before we say, LANDSLIDE. I’m actually motivated to give, knock on doors, talk to people, etc., etc., JUST TO EFFECT a humiliating blowout against Barry.

bob77 on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Court Jews. They served the Czars, you idiot. My mother’s family WERE shetl Jews-though since her paternal grandfather came to Britain as an infant-we’ll never know WHICH shetls.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Is Obama’s decline in Jewish support more notable than that of other white “ethnic” groups (eg, Connecticut Episcopalians) who were previously disposed to voting for Obama? I wonder.

The big difference may be in fundraising. I don’t know if the stats about we Jews being responsible for 50% or more for all Democrats’ fundraising are true or not; I can see reasons for both Jews and anti-Semites to overestimate the figures. But as a wealthier, politically active cohort that trends Left, it’s certainly true we punch above our weight in Democratic fundraising.

In some ways, I think Obama’s support of gay marriage reflects his desire to shore up Jewish support. Faygelah (you object to the term? are you trying to commit cultural genocide?) rights have become part of the political agenda of more secular (especially younger) Jews.

Frankly, I find both gay marriage and my coreligionists’ support of it bizarre.

bobs1196 on June 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Republicans will never ever win the Jewish vote.

The orthodox community already votes republican. And social issues is the reason why (see Turner NY 09)

As a matter of fact Bush won Borough Park (in Brooklyn) 70 to 30. Its just the fact that the orthodox community is located mostly in liberal land (although when Rudy ran against that idiot first black mayor who managed to allow the blacks to riot and kill a Jewish guy. The Jews voted in record numbers)

The Talmud says that when a Jew goes down he goes down all the way. The meaning is that when a Jew does not follow the basics of the Jewish religion he becomes a piece of you know what.

That’s why most hollywood pigs are Jews. And why most hardcore lefties are Jews (Soros)

Mark my words. As long as the republican party is the party of moral values. And the democrats are the party of family destruction. Orthodox Jews will vote republican. And the rest (the other 90%) will vote democrat

OrthodoxJew on June 11, 2012 at 12:48 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Find it. I want to see it.

Hmmmm….where did I pick on anyone’s ethnicity or religion? I pick on annoyinglittletwerp’s constant trumpeting of “I’M JEWISH!!!!!!!”

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Want to go back and read my original comment, genius? Whew. ROFL…

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Court Jews. They served the Czars, you idiot.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

In what capacity? Give me some references.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Aww, the ‘expert’ in all things Jewish from TN never heard of Court Jews….tzk,tzk, tzk….

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

What does being from TN have to do with anything? Or is it just another item in the ‘bot Logical Fallacy arsenal?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

My grand parents are dead. My father is dead. My aunt and I aren’t speaking. More importantly-I don’t owe you confirmation of my family history. I don’t owe you anything.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Oh, of course you don’t. LOL Nope.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Want to go back and read my original comment, genius

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:49 PM

So who the heck are you, sad face, the police of this site, since when she is not allowed to trumpet her jewishness…she’s proud of her heritage, so good for her…you don’t like it, don’t read her posts, as simple as that…

As for going back to read your ‘original’ comment lol :), like I am wasting my time to read your inanities twice…I normally scroll by your posts, but this time I thought you crossed a line with picking on people’s ethnic background…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

In what capacity? Give me some references.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

cut-and-paste …

gh on June 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Verklempt ? Vapors ? Oh my.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

What does twerp’s Jewishness that you keep picking on has to do with anything? Turning the table on you in the same manner is a beoach, no? :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

She has a right to type what she wants. I have a right to point out how idiotic it is.

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM

That’s understandable, considering that doing so would show instantly what a moron you are…

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

J Street

gh on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Or is it? Oy vey.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Turning the table? When I feel compelled to point out in 95% of my comments that I’m from TN and that makes me oh so special, you’ll have a nice little analogy there. Until then you remain a dolt.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Verklempt ? Vapors ? Oh my.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Just a l’il bit of ‘drama’ on a slow Mon morning :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Oh, of course you don’t. LOL Nope.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I don’t care to go into any detail that might disclose my maiden name on a blog.
Imagine that.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I see that. Of course what the heII would I know. I’m a goy. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Oh and by the way, Mazel Tov!

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Well, that’s coz being from TN is kind of blah and dull in itself, how on earth being from TN could make anyone individual feel ‘special’ lol :)…being Jewish on the other hand… So, who’s the dolt, again lol :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I see that. Of course what the heII would I know. I’m a goy. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:09 PM

And a drama-free one, I see :)… That’s ok, it’s to be expected from a self-respecting gentile :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

annoyinglittlejewishtwerp.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Nope, it will forever be:

AnnoyingLittleYankeeTwerp.

It rolls off the tongue so well.

Looks like you are the target of the nutball’s ire today.

Good for you. You need the practice.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:16 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Until then you remain a dolt.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ad hominems? I thought you were better than this.

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You are considered special, but not because of where you are.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Inexplicable. Unless they’re Jews who have contempt for Israel.

Cicero43 on June 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Imagine that.
///

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Stop explaining. You have nothing to defend or apologize for. In ddrntn’s case, the mask is just slipping.

/Jewish, conservative & proud of both.

Irritable Pundit on June 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I thought you were better than this.

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Huh? Where you been?

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You are considered special, but not because of where you are.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Ouch :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

annoyinglittletwerp

I’d still rather hear about your Jewishness endlessly (really, I never saw that, to be honest) than Mitchell Heisman’s endless song that we should all kill ourselves. Rock on, Twerp!

teacherman on June 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

And the lies keep coming.

Prey do tell us what JEWS were EVER at Tsar’s court? They were prohibited from living North of Line of Settlement, MAIN REASON they revolted and organized what is known as 1917 Revolution.

So, let me see. Months ago you claimed your Jewish roots came from Baltic states, now you claim no only a title of Baron, but then mention Tsar’s court. You keep misspelling SHTETL in your posts above. Then to top it off you also mention Babij Yar in passing as if you have any “connection” there.

And you keep asking why some here question who you are and what you stand for?

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Rock on, Twerp!

teacherman on June 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Ditto!

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 1:32 PM

…I knew this when he lit up the Menorah like it was a birthday cake!

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

you crack me up.

taternuggets on June 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

J Street

gh on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

J Street is nothing but a Soros funded group. One of many.

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Here’s a book you might be interested in:

Jews in Service to the Tsar

Description: Benjamin Disraeli advised, “Read no history: nothing but biography, for that is life without theory.” With Jews in Service to the Tsar, Lev Berdnikov offers us 28 biographies spanning five centuries of Russian Jewish history, and each portrait opens a new window onto the history of Eastern Europe’s Jews, illuminating dark corners and challenging widely-held conceptions about the role of Jews in Russian history. The 28 individuals profiled in these pages are bound by a single thread: each served a Russian tsar, emperor, or empress sometime between the fifteenth and nineteenth centuries…

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Do you like Kinky Friedman, by any chance?

Bizarro No. 1 on June 11, 2012 at 12:40 PM

My dad’s first cousin was a great friend of Kinky. We used to laugh about the Texas Jewboys, because most of the Jewish boys in Texas were in my family. He had another cousin who lived down the street from Van Cliburn in Kilgore.

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Inexplicable. Unless they’re Jews who have contempt for Israel.

Cicero43 on June 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Most leftist Jews are embarrassed by Israel and wish it would disappear. This is no different from your general self-hating Western leftist. Western culture is individualistic and uses guilt as the main control mechanism, as guilt is individualistic in nature – no one needs to know what I have done or thought for me to feel guilty and my own guilt should really (in the healthy context) come from things I have done or intentionally not done. No one else’s actions can really force guilt on me. Guilt is a totally individualistic and private issue. Shame, on the other hand, used as the main control mechanism in most non-Western tribalistic cultures, is an anti-individualistic concept; one cannot be shamed unless other people know the situation. Even worse, one can be shamed merely by the actions of others – even if the individual didn’t know about those actions. Shame is purely tribalistic and public. Likewise, the solutions to relieving guilt and shame are almost opposite – guilt is relieved by individual atonement and righting the wrong that caused the guilt, shame is relieved by revenge on the outside party that brought the shame on the tribe. This is the basic distinction between the West and th muslim world:

Individualism/Guilt/Atonement versus Tribalism/Shame/Revenge

In any event, guilt is a very powerful control mechanism for society that releases the individual creativity (which is why the West has done so well and why America has done so much better than the still tribalistic Euros) but the downside of that powerful mechanism is the reaction of weaker personalities. Weak personalities in the West can’t deal with the normal guilt mechanism and find themselves bathed in disembodied, uncontrollable guilt, much as a child might see a ghost movie and not be able to sleep for weeks due to an out-of-control imagination. These weak Western personalities react to their uncontrollable guilt by becoming self-haters (you’ll notice that you don’t find very many self-hating muslims, just homicidal lunatics). Judaism, while tribal in its inception (but tribal in the sense of national) is the most individualistic of the Western sub-cultures and, because of this generates the highest percentage of self-haters.

Again, this is just the price of the very powerful tool of guilt. As all powerful tools, you have to take the bad with the good, and the good derived from it far exceeds the bad of the self-haters. But, that is where the Western self-haters, and large percentage of Jewish self-haters, come from. At least that’s how I’ve always seen it.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

teacherman on June 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Yes Random the one hit wonder. alt has several good tunes beyond the whole Jewish thing. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I know that both of my great grandparents knew English prior to their arrival in the US-not Ellis Island-and that my great-grandmother’s family was wealthy enough that she was sending my GGF money that he would send back to my ggm’s family to show how much he would making(so they’d send her and the kids over).

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Here’s a book you might be interested in:

Jews in Service to the Tsar

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yes, Russians have a saying, “Бред Сумасшедшего”, translated as “Crazy Musings”. Google Line of Settlement (Черта Оседлости) and what it meant and did.

You also forgot to paste last 2 lines from the book “review” where it mentions (supposed) book popularity, although fails to mention just WHERE.

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

haha I knew, for some reason, you’d like him!

He’s funny, and seems like he’s a great guy.

Bizarro No. 1 on June 11, 2012 at 1:50 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Now, if only you could do the same with your own posts :)…

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

My sister & hubby are bleeding heart liberals, and pretty active in the Conservative Jewish community. They don’t (and won’t) sympathize with Orthodox Jews on the HHS mandate, because they already have a level of disdain for orthodox Jews, which I don’t find surprising.

But it gets me pretty aggravated to watch them bury their heads in the sand on the anti-Israeli actions of the administration. They’ll dig up these articles from liberal media outlets that try to portray Obama’s actions as somehow, obscurely, pro-Israel. The reality is, they are liberals first, Jews & Israel supporters second (or third). That’s their right as voters, but I find it really disingenuous when they try to pretend that Israel carries any legitimate weight in how they cast their votes. If it did, they wouldn’t be trying to defend Obama’s actions on Israel, which they continue to do.

Violina23 on June 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Funny, but idiots cannot self diagnose.

And no matter how many people point it out so many times, ddrintintin cannot make the connection.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:54 PM

64% approval. Hot Air grasping at straws.

plewis on June 11, 2012 at 2:01 PM

rockmom on June 11, 2012 at 1:39 PM

I’ve been wanting to ask you, what does the “rock” in rockmom refer to?

Bizarro No. 1 on June 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I’ll believe it when I see it. Most Jews are liberals first and Jews second.

bw222 on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Did you mean pale of settlement? I understand your position but Amazon allows reading the first few pages of the book at LookInside! What little I’ve read, it looks quite interesting.

From the review: Berdnikov’s book, which has enjoyed considerable popularity in Russia, has been called “a weighty document of historical truth,” and been acclaimed for its “calm impartiality,” for the “sincerity of the author’s voice,” and for the depth and breadth of Berdnikov’s research into archives and other historical sources that have only recently become accessible.

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I can’t understand why he ever had any Jewish support in the first place.

Bob’s Kid on June 11, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Liberal first, Jewish second.

Lost in Jersey on June 11, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Yep. There’s also some self-loathing factored in. In my experience I believe there is a genuine [misguided] feeling that socialistic principles are the best mechanism in which to “help others”, since a majority of the non-Orthodox Jewish population is not terribly engaged in Jewish life on a day-to-day basis. Like most liberals, they’d rather phone in tax-collectors to do their “caring” for them…

Violina23 on June 11, 2012 at 2:17 PM

’bout friggin’ time.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 2:29 PM

…I knew this when he lit up the Menorah like it was a birthday cake!

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Heh.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

I voted for Perot in ’92 (I was 22-plz cut me some slack)

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

Don’t feel bad, I did too. He would have probably been a better president than HW. Certainly better than BJ Clinton.

UltimateBob on June 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM

teacherman on June 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM

There’s a very douche-tastic troll here who comments under the name of Mitchell Heisman. Don’t know if it’s the genuine article or not.

Fortunately he/she/it only rears its ugly head once in a while.

UltimateBob on June 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Fallon on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 PM

No, it was called The Line of Settlement (plenty of info on it if you Google in Russian). Roughly running at the northern edge of what is Belorus/Litva today, West to conquered Polish lands and down South through Ukraine and (Besarabia) Moldova to Black Sea shores. ALL Jews in Tsarist Russia could only settle there and did, most by defualt when Russia either inherited Ukrinian lands or took parts of Poland. And actually back to early to mid 17th century when Ukraine asked Tsar to become part of Russia (sold their country, really) in exchange for military protection against Poland, at which point not only Jews living in Ukraine, but those on lands Russia took from Poland, Baltics and Belorus ended up living in Russia.

Long story and a lengthy historical discussion. But rest assured, Jews were kept from not only living North of the Line, but did not even have same rights as native Russians and only a few certain Jews (rich merchants mostly) were allowed to live North of it until about mid 19th century, when their “rights” were again curtailed and pogroms became the rule of day. After another Tsar sanctioned string of pogroms in early 20th century, Russian Jews finally adopted “Das Kapital”, said Enough is Enough and organized to overthrow the Tsar, which they succeeded to do in 1917. Until about mid 1920s they were large part of Russian Government, actually a few transitional ones, and Russia was doing well economically (New Economic Program it was called, NEP for short). Ayn Rand left Russia when this whole situation changed to the worse and Stalin came to power.

But JEWISH BARON in a Tsar’s Court? Utter BS and delusion, by any standard.

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

…The president is the choice of 64 percent of Jewish registered voters, versus 29 percent for Romney….

That he still gets as much as 64 percent of them astounds me. What does he have to do…push Netanyahu down a flight of stairs before they get the message?

Tomolena1 on June 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I thought you were better than this.

Chuck Schick on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Huh? Where you been?

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

It’s the bulk of your “contributions”. And I see no one but NO one disputed a thing I typed. On the contrary:

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 2:53 PM

OUCH.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Tomolena1 on June 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

That would probably increase 0bama’s numbers.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

And I see no one but NO one disputed a thing I typed.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 2:59 PM

No thinks that highly of the words you write.

You are like the cartoon between a double feature.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

/Jewish, conservative & proud of both.

Irritable Pundit on June 11, 2012 at 1:23 PM

By the way, I keep hearing about this “mask” that’s supposed to slip off of me, but I’ve held the very same opinions ever since I registered at this site in late 2008. It’s the nouveau ‘bots who have the masks on.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:02 PM

No thinks that highly of the words you write.

You are like the cartoon between a double feature.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Sure you do. You just can’t get those two brain cells working well enough to prove me wrong, so you have to rely on your usual “you’re a poo poo head” brilliance.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Tomolena1 on June 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Make that 29% of us are very RELUCTANTLY for Romney and some not just yet.

riddick on June 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Yeah, you stick with that. It will help your self esteem. Now, go get yourself a trophy.

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

The day any Jewish groups go on an apology tour (apologizing for helping Obama get elected in 2008) then I will believe their support has declined. Same goes for Blacks and Hispanics.

sdbatboy on June 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM

N.Y. Democrats Poised to Nominate Former Black Panther, Anti-Israel, Racist Radical for Congress

Resist We Much on June 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

More of the same to prove the point. Who said anything about self-esteem? You’ve got facts to show I’m wrong, let’s have them. Won’t be holding my breath.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

cozmo on June 11, 2012 at 3:14 PM

lol….stealing this.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Uhhhhh…yeah, that’s why I don’t mention the fact as some sort of specialness-inducing characteristic, dolt. Anyway, the dull and blah place will no doubt provide your Holy Mittness with 11 precious electoral votes, so there IS that. Not that it’ll matter much to the final tally.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

lol….stealing this.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Yeah. What a knee-slapper.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Yeah. What a knee-slapper.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

awwwwwww…..are you mad?

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

jimver on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Oh, I might also add: we prevented a President Al Gore in 2000.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Yeah. What a knee-slapper.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

awwwwwww…..are you mad?

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Nahhhhhhh. I said it was a knee-slapper, what more do you want?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Nahhhhhhh. I said it was a knee-slapper, what more do you want?

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:40 PM

nuthin’

you just sounded sorta …you know…mad.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

nuthin’

you just sounded sorta …you know…mad.

Tim_CA on June 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

No, “mad” is…you know…going around calling people who disagree with you nutball commie socialist bastard O-bot OWSer libtard concern troll Moby types. More knee-slappers, granted.

ddrintn on June 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM