Video: Shall we go up … or down?

posted at 11:31 am on June 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Bill Whittle released this new Firewall video earlier in the week, in which he responds to Chris Hayes’ Memorial Day remarks and compares the handwringing over the definition of “hero” to what it is that those who give their last full measure of devotion to our nation are trying to preserve.  Some Americans shade their eyes to the chaos of the world and just assume that it doesn’t happen here because, well, it just doesn’t.  There is a reason for that, and Bill reminds us of exactly what that reason is:

It’s amazing what a free people can do when their creativity and productivity are fully released.  We create wealth, raise the standard of living to a level where even our poor have living standards equal to that of the middle class in some Western nations, and push the envelope of science, technology, and exploration.  We can only do that in an environment of liberty, secured by those very men and women who heroically sacrifice a few years of their youth to provide the security necessary for that liberty — some of whom sacrifice their lives  in that effort.  If Mogadishu figuratively remains far distant from Disneyland, it’s because we have heroes standing every inch of the way between the two.

Speaking of liberty, Bill also has a new Afterburner out for PJTV on the present and future of public-employee unions.  Why are PEUs such a problem in managing the proper size of government?  Bill explains it clearly, and says that Wisconsin may show that we are indeed different from Greece after all:

Real hope and change?  Let’s pray that Bill’s right.

Comments

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

The normally brilliant Bill W. is wrong when he says Hayes shouldn’t be fired because of Constitutionally protected free speech.
The Constitution protects us from GOVERNMENT harassment/punishment over speech. It says nothing about an employer’s actions.

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

True but this man’s job should be based on the market place for his ideas. Considering the ratings of his employers, I’m not exactly sure how that works but stupid will always have an audience.

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Bill Whittle doesn’t need his own show..

He needs his won network!

I feel better knowing people like Bill will fight to the death before he let’s this ship go down!

A genuine PATRIOT.

katy on June 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Whittle lost me when he started dumping praise on Elin Musk. Meet Musk, a big dem donor: http://www.mediaite.com/online/wealthy-ceos-you-probably-didnt-know-support-democrats/#0

MeatHeadinCA on June 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Elon, not Elin

MeatHeadinCA on June 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

..amen to that, Joe!

The War Planner on June 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Boilerplate.

Bmore on June 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I LOBE me some Bill Whittle. Why does he not have his own show somewhere?

jdsbengaltiger on June 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Agreed.

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I like this guy!

southernms on June 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Obama to Netroots Nation: “Hey, change is hard.”

Obama to Nation: “Hey, change is hard…and so is my hard, empty head!”

That’s more like it…

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

But who would look out for us?

Cindy Munford on June 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Sorry LOVE LOL

jdsbengaltiger on June 10, 2012 at 12:13 PM

It continually amazes and distresses me, the number of well educated and relatively intelligent Americans for whom this premise undergirds all their political, cultural, and moral considerations.

[Isaiah 56:12] “Come,” they say, “let us get wine,
let us fill ourselves with strong drink;
and tomorrow will be like this day,
great beyond measure.”

Cleombrotus on June 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

All the way down?

steebo77 on June 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Well, I was going to have lunch in a few minutes, but seeing so much hate staring at me from the left side of that top screenshot sort of killed my appetite.

And as others have said, Bill Whittle deserves his own show on cable tv.

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Cleombrotus on June 10, 2012 at 12:17 PM

The problem with our culture is that education and intelligence is no guarantee of wisdom. Since at least my time in high school (65-69) we have been selling knowledge as the be all and end all.
Don’t get me wrong knowledge in its proper place is a good thing but it isn’t everything. In fact we have ignored character development to our detriment.

2 Peter 1:5-7
5 Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence (character), and in your moral excellence, knowledge, 6 and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, 7 and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love.

chemman on June 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Bill Whittle doesn’t need his own show..

He needs his won network!

katy on June 10, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Wouldn’t it be great if the power of the Conservative blogosphere merged to create a 24 hour news network of our own? Just think of the possibilities.

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM

This is a quote from Abraham Lincoln – the intelligent President from Illinois:

“You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.
You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.
You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.
You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down.
You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.
You cannot build character and courage by taking away people’s initiative and independence.
You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves.”

Bambi on June 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Replace BOTH with Whittle please. I don’t watch either of those egotistical blowhards anymore. I don’t watch Glenn Beck either, I couldn’t stand any more doom and gloom soros wants to eat your babies conspiracy theories anymore.

Wolfmoon on June 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Have you guys actually been to Disneyland lately? It’s a chaotic ****hole.

There’s a lesson to be learned there, I think. Kind of related to this:

“…what a free people can do.”

What free people? Is that all it takes? Hey, how’s that Arab Spring thing coming?

HB3 on June 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I LOBE me some Bill Whittle. Why does he not have his own show somewhere?

jdsbengaltiger on June 10, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Be a Citizen Producer

batterup on June 10, 2012 at 12:58 PM

…I could use a daily dose of Bill!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Amen.

bw222 on June 10, 2012 at 1:34 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Well sorta. Freedom of speech comes from the Creator, and all people have it. The Constitution says our government CAN’T take it away, but others still SHOULDN’T.

Greek Fire on June 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

chemman on June 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I’m not so sure. I think we have been selling emotions, feelings and equating them to intelligence. If it feels good, do it. I think we have presented knowledge in a selective manner rather than made it the “be all.” We have chosen what knowledge is preferred or considered good or appropriate. By selecting only certain areas of knowledge and then diluting it through an emotional lens we have created a type of “character development” that varies with the flow of emotions of the times.

Deanna on June 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

From 1989 to present, Unions have spent 2/3 of a billion dollars on politics. (self-link) 4 of the top 5 big-spending Unions are PEUs. And AFSCME Wisconsin just lost 24.5 million dollars a year in Union dues.

John Hitchcock on June 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

To say that Bill Whittle is a national treasure is an understatement.

sybilll on June 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

. In fact we have ignored character development to our detriment.

chemman on June 10, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Deanna on June 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I don’t think we’ve ignored character development as much as forgotten how it’s accomplished. If we’re ignoring anything it’s the consequences of the lack of character development.

As Ayn Rand said, you can ignore reality but you can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

BTW, 2 Peter 2:1-5 describes proper Christian growth accurately but I prefer the RSV’s translation.

Cleombrotus on June 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I think we need another dubya in the White House, B.W.

banzaibob on June 10, 2012 at 2:12 PM

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

O’Reilly I can handle, but Sean Hannity. I’d trade him and several players to be named later for one Bill Whittle.

The Rogue Tomato on June 10, 2012 at 3:10 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Greek Fire on June 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM

If you owned, say, a fancy restaurant, & you hired a waiter who kept offending the customers with his controversial opinions, you would & should have the right to fire him.

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

…It’s mind-boggling that people who read this blog don’t understand that.

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Chris Hayes shouldn’t be fired. He should be mocked. And he was and will continue to be. Keith Olbermann was mocked, and his own ridiculous hubris got him fired. Rosie O’Donnell was mocked and mocked and in the end, her own hubris got her fired.
Chris Hayes says things like: Rhetorically proximate to…and you can fill in the blank, but face it. NOBODY says something that silly sounding except a man full of himself. In the end, he will hang himself fully.

Jewel on June 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 3:13 PM

And MSNBC does have the right to fire whichever of their employees they choose to. They haven’t exercised it in far too long, but it DOES seem kind of two-raced to me for conservatives to make paeans to the first amendment while we call for a pundit’s termination in the same breath.

gryphon202 on June 10, 2012 at 3:28 PM

…but it DOES seem kind of two-raced faced to me…

Whoops. Can’t type today. two-FACED. Bleh.

gryphon202 on June 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM

but it DOES seem kind of two-raced to me

A subtle reference to the President?

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

A subtle reference to the President?

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I corrected myself, Butch. ;) The thing is, I understand where you’re coming from. But to act out of fear and/or anger isn’t always a good thing, even when that anger or fear is justfied. I can hope and wish that Hayes would be summarily shit-canned for his stupidity, but that doesn’t mean that I have to actively complain in an effort to get it done.

The constitution is a description of proscriptions and prescriptions for the federal government of the United States of America. It is not a manual for moral living. Just because the constitution doesn’t forbid it (i.e. private employers firing employees for speech) doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea, or sets a good precedent in any event.

gryphon202 on June 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Can we replace Bill O’Reilly or Sean Hannity with Bill Whittle?

joekenha on June 10, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Instead of O’reilly or Hannity why not Sheppard Smith, Greta, Geraldo, or Huckabee?

jpmn on June 10, 2012 at 9:30 PM

You know we need O’Reilly and Sean. We need all of the right people. Sean is a great person, he donates and supports our troops and especially our wounded service men/women, as does O’Reilly. So leave them alone. Shep is not my favorite neither is Geraldo. Greta tries to be fair, but when she asked Mia Love why she didn’t support obama, it really made me mad. Just because Mia is black, she doesn’t support his policies or anything else. She’s a proud conservative!
I do like Lou Dobbs. He has taken up Glenn’s black board. BTW, did you see that Glenn’s contract with radio was renewed for $100 million for 5 years? Go Glenn!
Ane the msm thought he was through…..

Bambi on June 11, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Bill Whittle is the “Thomas Paine” of our time.

I am proud to share the planet with such a person.

franksalterego on June 11, 2012 at 9:44 AM

gryphon202 on June 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Can’t disagree with the fear/anger thing, but I have a RIGHT to call for his firing. I’m not the govt, I’m incapable of censoring him, but I have the freedom to express my indignation (or even fear/anger) at what he said and recommend the resolution I think is deserved. If his boss wants to put up with the embarassment of continuing to pay the idiot, he loses my business (but let’s be fair, he never had it in the first place).

runawayyyy on June 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

runawayyyy on June 11, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You have that right. Just as I have the right to opine that it’s not a wise course of action, and you in-turn have the right to disagree with me on that count. God bless America. ;-)

gryphon202 on June 11, 2012 at 8:25 PM