Video: Axelrod dodges CNN question on “private sector doing fine” … three times; Update: “Fine?”

posted at 10:16 am on June 10, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

It’s going to be a long day for Team Obama. David Axelrod appeared on CNN’s State of the Union a few minutes ago to attempt to spin the disastrous press conference on Friday, and Candy Crowley asked him directly no less than three times if he agreed with President Obama that “the private sector is doing fine.” Axelrod refuses to give a direct answer on all three occasions, the first two of which are captured in this clip from the GOP:

Axelrod tried to turn the question around to the same point Obama wanted to make, which was that the big problem in the economy is in the public sector, where 500,000 jobs have been lost.  The Wall Street Journal addressed that point on Friday evening:

It’s true that government spending is part of GDP, and spending more can boost reported GDP for a time. But the lesson of the stimulus—which spent hundreds of billions of dollars in aid to the states—is that this boost is temporary and fades when the spending ends.

Mr. Obama also misdiagnoses state and local government layoffs. They aren’t the result of falling state and local revenues, which have increased by 6% over the last two years, according to the Census Bureau. The problem is that the cost of worker benefits is growing faster than revenues. Governments are having to lay off workers to pay for their rising pension and health bills. …

The fair if depressing takeaway from Mr. Obama’s press conference is that he continues to believe, despite three and a half years of failure, that more government spending is the key to faster growth and that government really doesn’t need to reform. This is how you get a jobless rate above 8% for 40 months and the weakest economic recovery in 60 years.

It’s also how one comes away thinking that “the private sector is doing fine” when its only adding jobs at an 86,300-per-month pace over the recovery, with its latest report a +69,000, numbers well under the 125K-150K pace needed to keep up with population growth.

Update: Team Romney hit Obama with a new web ad today on this same point, titled “Fine?”

·         PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: “The private sector is doing fine. Where we’re seeing weaknesses in our economy have to do with state and local government.”(President Barack Obama, Press Conference, Washington, DC, 6/8/12)

WOMAN: “We’ve seen layoffs, cutbacks.”
MAN: “When it’s all said and done I’m making $200 a month.”
WOMAN: “I’ve been looking for a job for two years haven’t found any.”
MAN: “I had to file my own personal bankruptcy and had to close my business.”
WOMAN: “Here I am. No healthcare and a slashed pension.”

WOMAN: “I just lost my job recently.”

WOMAN: “I have to work part-time in order to make ends meet.”
MAN: “Sometimes I feel like I’m a failure.”

·         PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA: “The private sector is doing fine.” (President Barack Obama, Press Conference, Washington, DC, 6/8/12)

James Carville once said, “They can’t punch back if you keep your fist in their face.”  Looks like the Romney campaign learned that lesson well.  Note too that this could easily be worked into a 30- or 60-second TV spot … and probably will.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Axelrod doesn’t quite get it. This “gaffe” underpins O’s misreading of the “capitalist” economy. O says that some states & localities have lost jobs. True, but implicit here is that O thinks that the govt sector is part of the economic engine of this country. But, public sector spending acts only as an anvil to the larger economy, sucking resources and capital and opportunity cost. Additional spending on pencil-pushing make-work public jobs does only one thing: prevent a larger number of private jobs from being “saved or created.”

O thinks the way to build the economy is to prop up the public sector, and give only rhetorical heed to the private sector. This is a recipe for certain failure, and for the stag-conomy that we are now painfully experiencing.

anotherJoe on June 10, 2012 at 4:49 PM

About Romney and the RNC, I’m actually impressed at how fast they are coming back with responses and nailing Obama for his gaffes. In 2008, we’d wait and wait and wait… and nothing. There is one thing about Romney that I may not have taken into account earlier. People who are successful do not like to lose. Especially people in business. Romney has the advantage of having experience on both sides and has knowledge about running in a blue state. I am fully confident this will help him and his response so far has been amazing compared to what we saw last time around.

Hoping to see some TV ads in battleground states that take Obama to task.

MrX on June 10, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Romney’s strength is putting together teams of people to get a job done. Obviously, they have been just waiting for Obama to give then a hook (any hook!) to hang an ad on, and he has obliged without stint.

AesopFan on June 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Apropos the general discussion, From a headline story on the TSA:

I sincerely believe that it has evolved into something quite different than was originally intended.
crosspatch on June 10, 2012 at 3:43 PM

This is true of every government program ever instituted, because they are never modified or discontinued when they fail.

That’s why the “public sector” always needs more workers, whether the private sector is “doing fine” or not.
AesopFan on June 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

AesopFan on June 10, 2012 at 5:12 PM

“Not tonight, Michelle. I’m losing my election.” – Barry

PolarCoug on June 10, 2012 at 5:14 PM

That’s gonna be a little difficult, Rose. We are both playing on the same team, if you know what I mean. hehehe :-)

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Resist: Just have to say that your posts of late have contained much pith, are apropos, are declarative, and to the point.

Enjoying them very much, keep up the good work.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on June 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Axelrod is a terrible spokesman. He’s like a bumble-mouthed snake oil salesman who is drunk.

KS Rex on June 10, 2012 at 2:36 PM

That’s true, for a PR ‘genius” Axelrod is an awfully awkward communicator, not to mention the least telegenic of BArkey’s minions, and has the charisma of a rag, even Carney is more telegenic than him :)….

jimver on June 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

We hope the weasel Axlerod knows where his suitcase is located, as he will be packing soon enough. We are so tired of his spin and false statements.

Amazingoly on June 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Is it just me or does Axelrod’s whole voice and demeanor indicate that he missed his true calling? I see him trying to sell me a used car or trying to convince some “just off the bus” wanna be actress that taking her clothes off for him would be great for her career.

Teacher in Tejas on June 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Tread lightly with that angle; his only daughter was diagnosed with epilepsy at the age of 7 months.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I was actually complimenting her. He’s worthless. I do hope this clarifies the matter for you. Please get well soon.

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Hey kardashian was obviously “off prompter”!! None of those remarks count.

rodguy911 on June 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Not cool.

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Why ? Are you an avid Axelrod fan ? Methinks you’re projecting now. Closet or former liberal I presume ?

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Ten bucks says Obama doesn’t do another news conference for the rest of his presidency.

xdwall on June 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM

The public sector destroys value and wealth. It needs to be shrunk 50%, or more.

ray on June 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Teacher in Tejas on June 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

To me he looks more like the kind of guy who when you see him out in public you take your kids to another park.

alchemist19 on June 10, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Point taken, Del, but my niece is epileptic, and to my understanding this has nothing whatsoever to do with intelligence or cognitive function. She’s as bright and functional as can be…but she has to medicate to prevent serious seizures.

No harm here, I think.

Jaibones on June 10, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Actually, the only point MIGHT be on Del’s head. Silly Philly is just another wannabe.

Enjoy, trolls. !!!!!

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Enjoy, trolls. !!!!!

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thanks SO much for sharing that.

F-

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

If you had in fact known in the first place that Axelrod’s daughter had a disability, you would never have mentioned her in the first place.

F–

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Enjoy, trolls. !!!!!

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Thanks SO much for sharing that.

F-

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:14 PM

LOL….awww, you’re welcome, Del !!!!..F-….hahahahaha…Isn’t he precious ?

Whatsamatta, Del ? Didn’t get any again last night ? : – >

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

F–

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Mentioning someone in a complimentary way is offensive to you, isn’t it , Del ? Are you also a closet liberal ? You seem incredibly sensitive and are able to read minds.

How much must your life truly suck. Suggesting that you can read minds Del is not the sign of someone who “has it all together”.

Z-….LOL.

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM

LOL….awww, you’re welcome, Del !!!!..F-….hahahahaha…Isn’t he precious ?

Whatsamatta, Del ? Didn’t get any again last night ? : – >

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:20 PM

OK, class, let’s summarize the history of this exchange.

DP here first suggests that Axelrod’s daughter is smarter than he is.

I respectfully respond that DP might want not to travel down that road, and cite the fact that Axelrod’s daughter has a disability.

DP then disappears for several hours from the thread.

Suddenly, DP comes back, sees what another poster has to say about my original respectful reply, and then instantly decides to insult my intelligence. Based on what?

You make it too easy, kid.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

If all y’all didn’t know, Axe is a pinko from waaaaaayy back, and his family, too. So is Jarrett…Check it out. No doubt, they think the private sector is doing gerrrrreatt!

bill glass on June 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Romney’s strength is putting together teams of people to get a job done.
AesopFan on June 10, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Agreed. That is why I have confidence that he will select an excellent VP running mate, even though it may take us awhile to understand the wisdom of his choice.
I say this as a new Romney supporter, not having supported him through the primary process. Nevertheless, I sent him some dollars Friday when he so quickly blasted Obama for Obama’s “doing fine” absurdity. I will send him more dollars each time he scores a similar direct hit.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 10, 2012 at 6:48 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:10 PM

O, Oh.

LOL

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The guy gives me the creeps.

I have studied much about WWII, Hitler, Third Reich, etc .

That scraggly mustache, bushy eyebrows, and unhealthy pallor remind me of photos of Himmler, Goebbels, et al.

Coincidence?? I think not!

fred5678 on June 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

The guy gives me the creeps.

I have studied much about WWII, Hitler, Third Reich, etc .

Coincidence?? I think not!

fred5678 on June 10, 2012 at 6:55 PM

eh, I wouldn’t read too much into the face of Fail.

Fail. Fail. Fail. Fail.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I think the most we have to worry about at this point in ObamaFail’s history is the sympathy factor.

/gee, I feel so sorry for him. The poor guy.
/Dang, I feel really bad for the dude.
/Wow, he looks so sullen and acts so cheap
/Dude, I gotta vote for him cuz he so sorry lookin’
/Bummer, dude’s on failovermode. Bummer. Pass the choom.

LOL

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

..with the greatest of respect and fear that I might be in error, but that might be biologically impossible. But we take your point. RWM is meteorically awesome.

The War Planner on June 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM

You are correct more than you know: my nubile ship has sailed and run aground upon a dry shore. Otherwise, I am prime for the discourse and for the defeat of the spawn in and around our White House. [and I just figured out how to reply on HA using the "blockquote" ... you're my first, WP, biology aside :o)]

texacalirose on June 10, 2012 at 7:08 PM

OK, class, let’s summarize the history of this exchange.

DP here first suggests that Axelrod’s daughter is smarter than he is.

DP then disappears for several hours from the thread.

You make it too easy, kid.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

LOL…I knew it. Del’s a classic HA agoraphobe, with psychic tendencies and who has a disorder of the amygdala.

Only a truly paranoid psychic like Del could possibly believe that he was insulted. Sorry, Del, I made a statement. You made an issue out of NOTHING. You have issues that probably need to be cancelled.

Get professional help.You need it.

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Look at me, look at me, Del yelps. I’m the HA thought, conscience and comment police. I like to believe that when people give a compliment it’s actually an insult.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Doofus…..lol...

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Thx ten million for the reference. I had tried what PolAgnostic recommended with negative results but appreciate the suggestion. Now, can either PolAgnostic or you tell me how to reply to comments in the proper format and then make me a sandwich (needy & demanding today, ain’t I?)

texacalirose on June 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Flora Duh has put together a video to help folks learn the ropes:

Hot Air Blog Tips

Wheat or Rye?

PolAgnostic on June 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Thanks again for proving my point.

By the way, when jaibones responded hours ago to my original post, it was a respectful reply. Unlike all of yours.

How you interpreted it the way you did speaks volumes. That’s as far as I will go.

As I said, you make it too easy, kid.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Oh, DP. I’m so proud of you.

Love,
Oburkel

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

That woman had far too much patience with this guy.

Axelrod is simply pulling the same ol’ trick of the libs…if he rambles on too long while dodging the question, viewers and the journo will forget what they asked and not notice the dodge. These people are infamous when it comes to it…like they can’t brag about any Obama accomplishment (they tried giving The One credit for bin Laden…which backfired) so the only other options are to skip over all the bad things or just blame them on Bush, Republicans, and the Tea Parties.

JetBoy on June 10, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I know this is OT, but I’ve been really wanting to ask. I use to lurk at LGF all the time and finally “got in”. I quit reading for a long stretch then went back. What the heck happened? Where’d all the sane folk go?

Gravel Gertie on June 10, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Wading through the swamp so you don’t have to…

redridinghood on June 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

redridinghood on June 10, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Wow. I haven’t thought about Chuckles McBicycle for about 4 years. Hmmmm.. Is he trying to worm his way back to relevance? If so, please let him know that er, uh. LOL.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Good Lord Axelrod! A friendly liberal on CNN asks you a direct question and you bob and weave like a drunken sailor? There are so many ways that you could have answered this without coming off sounding like an out-of-touch putz. Why didn’t you take one of them instead of simply repeating the talking points from Obama’s SECOND statement made to undo the idiocy of the first? You trebled down on stupid.

And congrats to the Romney campaign for their quick turnaround. This is the kind of response that wins elections. McCain would have been out there explaining that Obama really didn’t mean what he said.

Happy Nomad on June 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

I’m pretty sure the White House accidentally sent Candy Crowley the interview script meant for Fareed Zakaria and Fareed got the White House interview script intended for Candy.

viking01 on June 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Mitt has been listening to Sarahcuda.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 8:01 PM

viking01 on June 10, 2012 at 8:00 PM

And she’s too big to fire.

Even CNN is trying to save its … wheaties.

Fun to watch.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Flora Duh has put together a video to help folks learn the ropes:

Hot Air Blog Tips

Wheat or Rye?

PolAgnostic on June 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Oh, great. Am I going to have to have Flora Duh’s children, too? … wheat & thank you!

texacalirose on June 10, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Flora Duh has put together a video to help folks learn the ropes:

Hot Air Blog Tips

Wheat or Rye?

PolAgnostic on June 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Awesomesauce Flora Duh! I’d give you a standing O but with Obama and Oprah taking all the accolades will you settle for a golf clap?

bettycooper on June 10, 2012 at 8:18 PM

It’s stunning that Axlerod is the best the Obama campaign can do. Yet he’s all there is.

Sheriff Uncle Joe Biden can be counted on to shoot himself in the foot, and the Administration in the head, every time he speaks.

Jay Carney is suitable only for deer-in-the-headlights double-takes and addressing the White House Press Corps, which is suitable only for licking Obama’s jackboots.

Outside help?

Obama’s former National Economic Council director, Larry Summers, wants the Bush tax cuts extended.

Bill Clinton thinks Romney has a sterling record at Bain Capital.

Who’s left?

The guys who dreamed up the self-parodying Anna Wintour campaign?

Campaign spokesperson Ben LaBolt, from whom no one’s heard lately becausehe can’t convincingly lie his way out of a paper bag.

There really is no one. So they’re stuck with Chester the Molester.

de rigueur on June 10, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:46 PM

He’s a jerk that hates Conservatives & wants to be relevant. I’ll just leave it at that.

redridinghood on June 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

As I said, you make it too easy, kid.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I do hope you were looking in the mirror as you said this. It applies directly to you.

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Oh, DP. I’m so proud of you.

Love,
Oburkel

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Let me guess. You’re Del’s whiny little sister.

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Not cool.

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM

DevilsPrinciple on June 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

You are a moron for bringing Axelrod’s daughter, who has disabilities, into this discussion. Beat it, troll.

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Sounds like Axe’s “before the cock crows, you will deny me three times” moment….

ya2daup on June 11, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Candy Crowley asking tough questions of Axelrod? Is that allowed?

curved space on June 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM

You gotta ask yourself, “Is my home under water and if so do I have access to flood insurance?”

Sherman1864 on June 11, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

You must be DelMonte’s boy Friday.

F-

DevilsPrinciple on June 11, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 10:32 PM

So, let’s re-cap(And I won’t go into the verbal razzle dazzle that DelDouchewad did).

I compliment Axelrod’s daughter by stating that she’s smarter than he is and then YOU and Del Douchemonte bring in her disability and tell me I’m wrong ? Project much?

LOL…. I ‘d see a professional about the disintegration of your corpus callosum because it’s having an effect on your ability to communicate effectively.

Play nice.It’s only a political blog.

F – - -

DevilsPrinciple on June 11, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Government workers are a core constituency of the Democratic party as evidenced by the +40% of delegates to their convention being public school teachers.

Do Obama and Axelrod actually believe that taking money from the private sector and using it to hire more of their friends in government j0obs is the way to build up the economy or do they just assume you are so woefully ignorant that you will accept what they say as true?

Nomas on June 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM

In his latest note, John Hussman is bearish, and says the recession here.

By our analysis, the U.S. economy is presently entering a recession. Not next year; not later this year; but now. We expect this to become increasingly evident in the coming months, but through a constant process of denial in which every deterioration is dismissed as transitory, and every positive outlier is celebrated as a resumption of growth. To a large extent, this downturn is a “boomerang” from the credit crisis we experienced several years ago. The chain of events is as follows:

Financial deregulation and monetary negligence -> Housing bubble -> Credit crisis marked by failure to restructure bad debt -> Global recession -> Government deficits in U.S. and globally -> Conflict between single currency and disparate fiscal policies in Europe -> Austerity -> European recession and credit strains -> Global recession.

In effect, we’re going into another recession because we never effectively addressed the problems that produced the first one, leaving us unusually vulnerable to aftershocks. Our economic malaise is the result of a whole chain of bad decisions that have distorted the financial markets in ways that make recurring crisis inevitable.

“When sorrows come, they come not in single spies but in battalions.” — William Shakespeare

mountainaires on June 11, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Even Romney-haters like myself are impressed. Now, show us that you will govern with conservative principles, Mitt.

SKYFOX on June 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Nomas on June 11, 2012 at 7:01 AM

I think they believe both are true. I get a big laugh out of Crowley lecturing Axelrod and saying “right, that’s the public sector” and then letting the Dr. Phil wannabe ramble on and on digging an even bigger hole. Heh Heh Heh.

The problem though isn’t the messenger it is the message. Everybody knows that the private sector is not doing fine (Romney crushed this message point on Friday). More importantly the circular logic of needing to hire more unionized public sector employees to get the private sector even “finer” is just absurd and doesn’t make sense on any level.

Happy Nomad on June 11, 2012 at 8:00 AM

Why doesn’t Crowley or any of the other interviewers ever tell AxleGrease that there never were 4.3 million private sector jobs created under Obama, even if you count from the bottom of the recession in March 2010, and ignore all the jobs lost in 2009?

How does he get away with this???

Steve Z on June 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

There was a point in Axelrod’s “answer” where he said that the only bad economic indicators in the past few months were due to events overseas. Perish the thought that something bad could be happening in the US economy due to Obama! The left’s denial of Obama’s abject failure as president borders on insanity.

Crusty on June 11, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Well, gee. Is it just me? Or, is CNN actually conducting journalism lately? First Anderson Cooper – now this. I’m in a state of disbelief.

Pablo Snooze on June 11, 2012 at 5:35 PM