Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on June 10, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Obama’s campaign is calling on supporters to grade its performance amid a difficult early June for his reelection bid against presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney…

The supporter survey comes on the heels of a difficult month for the president, which saw Obama’s team on the defensive over a still weak economy, a set-back for Democrats and labor groups in Wisconsin’s recall election, a strong fundraising month for rival Romney and increasing congressional anger over a series of national security leaks.

***

When Jared Bernstein, Vice President Biden’s former top economist, began reviewing notes of President Obama’s press conference on Friday, he stopped cold when he read “the private sector is doing fine.”

“It caught my eye,” Bernstein told National Journal. Bernstein immediately fired off an email to the intern who took the notes to make sure it was accurate and not a rough or garbled translation. “I thought, ‘Did he really say that?’”

To his dismay, the intern wrote back that those were Obama’s words. Verbatim…

Asked would he have winced if he’d still been in the White House, Bernstein said: “I winced having not been in there.”

***

“The private sector is doing fine” may prove to be the pivotal moment for the 2012 campaign because of what it demonstrates about the president’s ideas as he heads into the fight of his life.

[T]he health of the private sector can’t be measured solely or even primarily by job creation. Most people, after all, haven’t gone through the horror of unemployment.

What they have gone through is a period in which they have almost no job mobility, and a period in which their wages haven’t grown much — even as the inflated cost of gas and food has eaten away at what little gain they have enjoyed.

And that doesn’t even get into the discomfiting anxieties that come with working in America in 2012 — the sense that many jobs are tenuous, that maybe your employer can get by with one worker instead of two and that the one who gets laid off will be you.

***

There’s a deeper issue here than just Obama being thoughtlessly glib about the slow-growth nature of the U.S. economic recovery…

The remark reveals the government-centered nature of Obama’s thinking. He just doesn’t give private enterprise very much thought, particularly when it comes to all the ways government can muck up the free enterprise system. To Obama, the private sector is always “doing fine,” so it really doesn’t matter if the public sector overloads it with too many taxes and too much regulation. The private sector? Oh, you means guys like Bain Capital who like to fire people.

No wonder there’s been so little sense of urgency by the Obama White House to cut the sky-high corporate tax rate or so little consideration given to the impact on small business of letting the Bush tax cuts expire. The private sector is “doing fine,” after all. Unintended consequences? What are those?

***

Even Obama has made noises about cutting the size of the government bureaucracy — the foundation, at the federal level, of Washington’s disconnected high life. Does he not mean it? If that’s supposed to happen, when? It clearly can’t happen when the country’s in recession, according to the president–which is why his original 2009 stimulus bill sought to preserve state and local government jobs. Now he’s telling us it can’t happen when the economy is recovering and the private sector is doing fine growing at a modest pace. Is he really going to want to cut unneeded government jobs later, when the private sector really is “doing fine” and there’s lots of tax revenue to fund the fat-marbled government payroll? Why would he do that, if he sees government jobs as jobs, a good thing, the equivalent to private jobs. That he doesn’t say when he’d cut the jobs only reinforces the suspicion that he doesn’t want to cut them at all, ever.

That’s the legitimate fear Obama’s “gaffe” raises, anyway. It’s not a phony media-made story. It gets at a pretty fundamental point.

***

Anyway, the bigger problem with Obama’s press conference was that there wasn’t any news in Obama’s prepared remarks. This really makes me shake my head. If you’re going to call a press conference, you have to give beat reporters something new. New is the root of news. If you don’t say something new, a misstatement is bound to dominate, or an answer to an off-message question…

At bottom, then, the press conference reflected the general drift that Clift described. The White House doesn’t have an argument right now. Ever since the jobs report, Romney’s got all the momentum. The White House has tried but then dropped arguments, as I wrote earlier this week, and it sounds a little whiny and ineffectual when Obama urges Congress to pass something that everybody knows Congress isn’t going to pass. And by the way, he ought at least to say “Republicans,” not “Congress.” I’m sure there are risks associated with sounding too partisan, but to me, he has little choice but to lump Romney and the GOP Congress together.

***

A series of liberal favorites, culminating with former Obama environmental adviser Van Jones, took to the stage at the Rhode Island Convention Center to rally the Democratic base — and also to make clear that nearly four years after his election, Obama has not lived up to their expectations

“We went from having a crush to feeling crushed,” he added, as the convention hall — which at about 1,500 activists was about half-full compared with where it stood during Warren’s address on Friday — responded with cheers and applause…

“We have a quandary,” Jones said Saturday night. “We know we’re supposed to be fired up, and we know we’re supposed to be ready to go. But we’re pissed off! We’re mad. And we have reason to be. … Somebody said, ‘I feel like I’m caught between Barack and a hard place.’”

***

Even more problematic for the president: With the election just five months away, some [liberals at Netroots Nation] are threatening not to donate money or time or even vote in November for the man who overwhelmingly ignited their passions and captured their imaginations four years ago.

“I want to be happy with him,” said Democrat Kristine Vaughan, a 45-year-old school psychologist from Canton, Ohio. “But I am finding that he has succumbed to the corporate influence as much as everyone else. I think he has so much potential to break out of that, but overall he has been a disappointment.”…

Most plan on voting for Obama and their gripes are not unlike what the White House has heard for much of the president’s term. But these left-leaning backers’ varying levels of enthusiasm could spell trouble for a president whose 2008 victory was fueled by a massive network of grass-roots volunteers and small-dollar donors. Polls show the president locked in a tight race that’s likely to be decided in several swing states where he scored narrow victories four years ago. Places like Ohio, Florida and Virginia are expected to be especially competitive, and Obama will need liberal supporters to both work on his behalf and turn out in droves on Election Day.

“He’s done a good job, but he could have done a lot better,” said Ed Tracey, 55, of Lebanon, N.H., who heads his local chapter of the group, Drinking Liberally.

***

“There’s no doubt that Obama has turned out to be a major enigma and disappointment,” [a liberal] historian told me. “He waged such a brilliant campaign, first against Hillary Clinton in the primaries, and then against John McCain in the general election. For a long time, I found it hard to understand why he couldn’t translate his political savvy into effective governance.

“But I think I know the answer now,” he continued. “Since the beginning of his administration, Obama hasn’t been able to capture the public’s imagination and inspire people to follow him. Vision isn’t enough in a president. Great presidents not only have to enunciate their vision; they must lead by example and inspiration. Franklin Roosevelt spoke to the individual. He and Ronald Reagan had the ability to make each American feel that the president cared deeply and personally about them.

“That quality has been lacking in Obama. People don’t feel that he’s on their side. Obama doesn’t connect. He doesn’t have the answers. The irony is that he was supposed to be such a brilliant orator. But, in fact, he’s turned out to be a failure as a communicator.”

***

“This was not a good week, though, for the president,” Schieffer said.

The surrogate, Maryland governor Martin O’Malley, a Democrat and the head of the Democratic Governors Association replied, “We’ve had better weeks. And [there'll] be good weeks and bad weeks.”

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I feel like I’m caught between Barack and a hard place.

Did he pay licensing to Bill O’Reilly?

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Ok who was the first to say that “The GOP will betray you”?

A. KingGold
B. KingJester
C. True_King
D. Dire Straits
E. Dave

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

that’s virtually a who’s who of the tier 1 commenters around here, and I didn’t make the list…… *shamed….*

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

One of the best…

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Dire will protest his innocence.

Did Pethokoukis come up with that shocking stat on his finance blog? Is that why you mentioned his name?

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

That is sheer genius right there.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 12:11 AM

laugh long time. Great song. I liked “if you met me you probably wouldn’t rape me like you said you would.”

arnold ziffel on June 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Gov. Scott Walker (R-Wis.) disagreed Sunday with Mitt Romney’s conclusion that the failed recall election in Wisconsin was evidence that American voters want fewer public workers such as teachers and firemen.

“I think it’s slightly different – I think in our case what they wanted was people willing to take on the tough issues not only here but across the country,” Walker told CBS’s Face the Nation.

“I know in my state our reforms allowed us to protect firefighters, police officers and teachers.

That’s not what I think of when I think of big government.”
(More….)

canopfor on June 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Some things get lost in the back and forth that we can literally no longer afford to lose sight of …

Firefighters, police officers and teachers are exactly what percentage of ALL public employees …???

BLS 2010- Firefighters – 310,400

BLS 2010 – Police and Detectives – 794,300

BLS 2010 Police, Fire and Ambulanc Dispatchers – 100,100

BLS 2010- All Applicable Teaching Classifications Thru High School – 6,509,800

Total Employment for the Three Critical Services – 7,714,600

Total Government Employees Across All Levels ~ 23,000,000

Firefighters, police officers and teachers are 1 out of every 3 government positions …

… OK, Let’s say those ~ 8,000,000 jobs are sacrosanct

Anyone wants to throw out those three categories. Throw back the 8,000,000 we can all agree are important.

Now about those other 15,000,000 government employees …

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

The DC is droppin’ an anvil on POTUS’ track record in Chicago. Check it out.

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

If only we had a free press!!!!!!!!!!!!!! can you imagine if the nightly news at 6 and 10 weren’t in the bag? It would be so freaking epic!!!!!!!!

arnold ziffel on June 11, 2012 at 12:25 AM

One of the best anti-troll things I have ever seen. Content warning though!

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Pat Caddell joined Stephen K. Bannon on the “Victory Sessions” and told him that National Security Advisor Tom Donilon is likely the source of recent intelligence leaks that have prompted calls for an investigation by Democrat Senator Diane Feinstein. Caddell explains that he is certain Donilon is the source of the leaks because of his background as a political operative and a known “leaker”. The full interview is included in this clip. Caddell names Tom Donilon at the 8:40 mark.

OT: Breaking at Breitbart.com

big!

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Mickey Kaus

Sometimes I feel as if I’m living in a parallel universe to these writers. Pst-Pst Mickey. 0 never ever had any intention of anything having to do with cutting anything. He’s a tax and spender with a dose of socialism thrown in for good measure. I want him to fail because he wants us to fail. Where the heII have you folks been the last three years? Just when I thought O’Reilly was the slowest analyst in the Country.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

You are among the elite with canopfor, munford, hawk driver, DS, Ktmol, flora duh, schadenfreude and a host of other great conservatives. Ok Bmore too and John L. OC and 4grace and bazil are fun. Alty should get mentioned. Add some to the list.

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:30 AM

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:23 AM

No, I don’t think so, I just happened to be reading his article when I remembered and reflected on it.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

C. True_King

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:09 AM

You are correct!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

SparkPlug , nope leave me off that list I’m a noob and can barely spell my own name correctly.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM

You are correct!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Dire, you plagiarist! And to think this whole time I thought it was yours. I just don’t know what to say………………….How we doing Dire?

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:33 AM

No man, you’re solid.

AZfederalist on June 11, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Did he pay licensing to Bill O’Reilly?

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 12:20 AM

.*sniff*

(pours drink)

*quiet lonely clink to self…*

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

*quiet lonely clink to self…*

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

But dude, everyone who tries to drink with you ends up with alcohol poisoning… :O

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Mamma.

Must be special.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Momma is special!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Great links ted…

… passing them along.

Let us see if the new media can make some news again…

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The DC is droppin’ an anvil on POTUS’ track record in Chicago. Check it out.

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Wow. Obama’s work was known, ignored and unreported before the 2008 election. It never ceases to end to bear poisonous fruit.

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Not everybody!!..:):)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

oh yahh… and if 7% ain’t on the list … tsk tsk… **what’s the world comin’ to?***../

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:42 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You are right, my bad…

… I just can’t save it all up for election night November 2012.

I have to spread it out…

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I like Pethokoukis, but I admit I find his blog terrifying because he continues to tell the truth!

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:37 AM

HeII yeah, you and me brother off the list and heading to the club. Screw this joint. / *clink*

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Not everybody!!..:):)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Thanks Dire…

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM

I like reading him. I just can’t pronounce his name right. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

alright you pudwha*kers…i’ve gotta get up in the morning to head to my 4 letter word. g’nite.

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Good Night ted c, Sleep Well.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Ok 7% you rock so you are on the list too. But I am in no position to judge my betters in the first place since I am just a grasshopper until I snatch that pebble from schadenfreude.

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

When all’s said and done,all the critical and momentous problems and failings of our culture , institutions , political class and the corrupt administration and government can be summed up in one immutable, salient statement:

Obama eats dogs.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 11, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

*clink*..:):)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:29 AM

That’s in line with the info in David Sanger’s book, Confront and Conceal, about Gates blowing up at Tom Donilon about Osama.

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I once had a roommate with a Greek last name with one more syllable in it than Pethokoukis. Not easy to learn to say or spell. I still can’t spell JP’s name without double-checking.

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Caddell obviously does not like barry. I listened to that up to the 9 minute mark…Pat thinks barry is just pushing out the secrets to get himself re-elected

this will circulate in the right-o-sphere blogs….but how long will barry’s PR machine take to ‘cover’ it…or bury it.

but if Feinstein is pissed they may have too. No doubt barry will plead total ignorance…and really…isn’t that a good argument for him to make?

i’m trying not to get overly optimistic about Nov…but there does seem to be a lot of turmoil in the Dem/Left ranks

r keller on June 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Just messing with ya’…

Good Night All!

… Tomorrow is another day.

*clink*

Seven Percent Solution on June 11, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Michael Tomasky

Partisan hackery.

Unforced errors.

More to come, 0 is very thin on anything.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Good Night 7%, Sleep Well. *clink*

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:02 AM

INC on June 11, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Polish names can be difficult too. I guess its the double consonants, is it? I hate to have to stop and look up consonants. That’s how bad it is for me. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:06 AM

schadenfreude.

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Isn’t the first rule of pebble snatching not to forget and capitalize the masters name?
Schadenfreude

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Where is Gohawgs?

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Opps. That’s why me no so good at pebble snatching. Looks like I will be grasshopper for a wong wong time.

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Felicia Sonmez

All I can say to this is. You are a bunch of pathetic whining pansies asses. Any more and I may be banned. To heII with the lot of you and your failed philosophy. I seek only to dominate you and crush you. I’ll have to remember to thank 0 on the way to the door.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Yeah, uh uh, Barak, Ram, the Daley clan and Jarret and the whole chicago machine have finally succumbed to the “corporate” influence. Those little angels held out for a long as possible but no one can stop the CORPORATION!.

BoxHead1 on June 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Just trying to help out SparkPlug ole buddy. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Where is Gohawgs?

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Last I saw him was on an a.m. thread. Much to my surprise.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Had to look that one up…

A native of Hackensack, New Jersey, Felicia graduated from Harvard University in 2005 with a degree in Government.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Last I saw him was on an a.m. thread. Much to my surprise.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Good gravy! He must’ve gotten employment!

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Greetings! I was just on the eugenics headline thread. Bad idea. Baaaad idea.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

(CBSDC/AP)

No surprise here really. The best part of the article was the little poll thingy next to the article on the right. Very telling.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Good gravy! He must’ve gotten employment!

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

I know, right? I nearly busted my neck doing a double take. It was strange. Funny too!

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Where is Gohawgs?

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I was starting to wonder the same thing..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Greetings! I was just on the eugenics headline thread. Bad idea. Baaaad idea.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I just hoping a decent fight breaks out between thuja and Random aka Mitchell Heisman. I’d go over there for a good fight. ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I=I’m

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

The DC is droppin’ an anvil on POTUS’ track record in Chicago. Check it out.

ted c on June 11, 2012 at 12:19 AM
tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

…why is this stuff coming out only now?…like t d c said…there probably is enough on BHO to keep the nightly news going until November!

KOOLAID2 on June 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Silence?

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM

I had a few choice words for thuja.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I had a few choice words for thuja.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

I see that you did.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I had a few choice words for thuja.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:33 AM

thuja said he had a lot in common with deep ecology.

That is a confession. Deep ecology is anti-human.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Has anyone seen a post by me in this thread in the last hour?

I tried to resubmit … and was told it was a duplicate post …

ok. but I can’t find the first one …

(this will teach me not to include links for verification of stats, I guess)

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Thuja is unfortunately a ‘she’.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Edward Klein,

I’m thinking that historians will say, 0 was a whole lot worse than we knew at the time. Or something to that effect. Unless of course they conveniently get sidetracked by talking about Nixon. 0 is without a doubt The Worst Ever!

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:38 AM

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I think more than 3 links in a comment=banishment. There is no world without Verona walls :)

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM

Thuja is unfortunately a ‘she’.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Thuja is unfortunate regardless of sex :)

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

The system is designed to let you only include 3 links per comment. Split the comment up into several.

I learned by trial and error.

INC on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Last I saw him was on an a.m. thread. Much to my surprise.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Good gravy! He must’ve gotten employment!

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM

People can still do that these days? Didn’t Obama say your suppose to take 2 blue pills whenever that threatens to happen to you?

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

thuja said he had a lot in common with deep ecology.

That is a confession. Deep ecology is anti-human.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Once a little while ago, I promised her I would not ever trouble her again. She complimented me for something a few days later. ” Treat em like dogs, they’ll lick your boots.” ? I did enjoy a brief conversion with Random aka Mitchell Heisman this very a.m. It went as well as one might expect. Good times! ; )

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Speaking of employment-spawn has Wally World orientation on Tuesday. He’ll be working @ my ‘shop…but HIS department is on the other side of the store.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

DANIEL HALPER

Correction, there will be bad weeks and bad weeks and bad weeks and bad weeks and bad weeks……………..for 0. And then there will be no weeks and no weeks and no weeks and no weeks……………..for 0. I will smile : ) I will dance.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:41 AM

random mitchell still has a chance. I pray for him/her/it. I know depression. I know nihilism. I know hopelessness. I know Deep Ecology.

The best knowledge? I know Jesus Christ.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Good for spawn, in the Obama economy, any job is a good job.

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Wow the eugenics thread just died. Wonder why. I was really hoping for that fight.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:47 AM

The best knowledge? I know Jesus Christ.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

To know Jesus Christ is good, to be known by Jesus Christ (as one of his own) is better.

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Saved by grace brother.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM

bayam, how come you forget that when Obama took over you had a leftist congress and senate? Quit moping and focus on your failures, your congress and president.

Schadenfreude on June 11, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Don’t confuse the Subject with “facts”.

Del Dolemonte on June 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:45 AM

I hope you are correct. I wish ill on few. Randoms constant droning on about suicide is tedious. Suicide is not an issue I am comfortable toying around with. The ones that continuously go on about seldom ever make it there. I feel like she/he/it should be busted on hard for the casualness of their commentary about it. So I do. There is no love lost between us. Circular logic on serious issues is a pet peeve of mine. I will continue to bust and lay waste to the cavalier attitude.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:39 AM

INC on June 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Thank you!

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Video 1 I have to be truthful here. I watched until the 54 second mark. That’s it for me. I really don’t give a ratsass what any of these folks think. Even Annie get your guns Coulter.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Iv’e said it here before…and I’m not the first.

Suicide is the ultimate act of self-love. There is no act that is more selfish than suicide. The inner monologue that leads up to suicide is nothing but self love. No one that has ever lived in the history of humankind has ever had to deal with x. Where x is the BS you sell yourself to make yourself feel special.

I’ve been cavalier about suicide before. I put a gun to my head every day for years. It wasn’t hollywood crap. It wasn’t Kreasy in Man on Fire. You want to be free? Stop lamenting your lot in life.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

You want to be free? Stop lamenting your lot in life.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Give your life to Christ.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 2:03 AM

*snip*

That’s not what I think of when I think of big government.”
(More….)

canopfor on June 10, 2012 at 10:58 PM

All stats taken from http://www.bls.gov

BLS 2010 – Firefighters – 310,400

BLS 2010 – Police and Detectives – 794,300

BLS 2010 – Police, Fire and Ambulance Dispatchers – 100,100

All Applicable Teaching Classifications Thru High School – 6,509,800

Total Employment for the Three Critical Services – 7,714,600

Total Government Employees Across All Levels ~ 23,000,000

… OK, Let’s say those ~ 8,000,000 jobs are sacrosanct

Anyone who moans about those three categories. Throw back at them the 8,000,000 number and, for the sake of discussion, posit that we can all agree those three categories ARE important.

Then TELL them enough with the Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt- Let’s FOCUS on those other 15,000,000 government employees …

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Video 2 Palin. Playing up the brown look I see. At any rate, the funny thing to me amongst many when speaking of all things Palin, is what happens at the end of the video. When the box turns into “Recommended” Packing Heat: Gun holsters for bras. Perfect placement. Funny!

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Dire Straits QOTD song. Its over?

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Good news!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

You want to be free? Stop lamenting your lot in life.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Hmm, I’m single, 51 and have been unemployed for 2 and a half year now. When I look on my lot in life, it is with wondrous amazement.

I drive a 1996 BMW, 99 percent of the King’s Pharaoh’s and Emperors were not transported around their kingdoms with the comfort, speed safety or style with which I drive around in.

99 percent of the richest people to ever walk the face of the earth have never lived in the comfort that I have, air condition on demand, the widest variety of foods imaginable just steps from my house. Entertainment the vast majority of the worlds wealthiest people could not have afforded had they spent every single penny of their fortunes.

I have running water, a refrigerator (that even has food in it), electricity, 24/7 access to the greatest communication device ever imagined by man (this intertube thingie). Access to medical treatment that 99 percent of the King’s Pharaoh’s and Emperors in human history would have sacrificed their entire kingdoms to have.

When I look at my lot in life, I cannot help but be overwhelmed by how much I have been blessed. Could it be better, certainly it could. Could I be employed and making more money, absolutely, could I be amassing to myself more physical possessions and wealth, yes I could. But these things that I do not have, do not diminish the amazing bounty that I do have.

When I look at my lot in life, I do not see the things that I do not have and lament my lack, I see what I do have and rejoice in it. But, then again, I have always been a bit of an odd duck as they say.

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!..:)

PS..Good tunes!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 11, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 2:15 AM

Night homeslice

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 2:22 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

You touched a nerve and so I’ll share a story you can take or leave as you will

A very long time ago, I was lost and God sent me an angel. The angel listened to my sob story, taught me, sacrificed for me – but one day the angel barked at me, “If you are going to kill yourself, just go ahead and do it!”

And that bit of tough love slapped me out of my self-absorption, the angel still helped me on my way and I moved on with my life.

A good while after that but still decades ago, I was in a very bad place due to marital stresses. And God sent me another angel … who helped me to see the blessings in my life, who taught me the true definition of love and whose guidance saved me when I once again toyed with ending my life.

A few years ago, I had major surgery under less than optimal circumstances. I have a living will that clearly states, “Do Not Resuscitate”. My belief is/was when nature takes you, you go.

A few hours after the surgery, the DNR clause became operational. I passed out, was cyanotic and went … someplace else.

No white light, no departed loved ones … no physical anything. Two ‘presences’ discussing me. One saying it was my time, pleading ‘my case’ … the other waiting.

After a bit, the other presence said, “He has more to do.”

And I was concious in the hospital again.

In the next year, I was the angel – helping someone, teaching someone, passing on the lesson my angesl had taught me about the true meaning of life and love …

Your life is not your own. You did not create yourself. If you think of suicide, get help. God does love you.

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Excellent post

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 2:31 AM

All life has meaning. Your story has brought me to tears. We do not exist for ourselves.

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Bmore on June 11, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Thanks for watching my back. I gave a troll a rug burn once on shag carpet. Grabbed it by the foot and dragged it around for a while like it was the indianapolis 500.

SparkPlug on June 11, 2012 at 2:38 AM

tom daschle concerned on June 11, 2012 at 1:59 AM

To which I disagree. Not every goes through that inner monologue- some just get to a point where they don’t think they can take their pain anymore. And there are those who truly believe that those around them will be better off as they can see (through distorted eyes) what their pain is doing to others. Meet enough people in pain and you find there are many reasons they are lead to the thought of suicide.

Lumping it into one big ball and saying it is just one reason may make it easier for some people to try to cope with the aftermath but it is a great way not to be able to try to help people before hand as approaching them with that mindset pretty much limits anything you can say to them- and it also cuts off your ability to even attempt to empathize as you believe you already know what they are thinking.

Betenoire on June 11, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Excellent post

PolAgnostic on June 11, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I have been a Christian for 30 years. I am not perfect, far from it. I struggle on a daily basis, and fail far more often than I succeed. The longer I have been a Christian, the more conscience I have become of my failings. The more they trouble me and cause me grief.

Yet at the same time, I have a hope, that has not diminished in the entire 30 years I have been a Christian. That hope, that looking forward to the future, is that one day I will succeed more often than I fail, that one day I will find less things in my life that cause me grief and more that cause me to rejoice.

I look forward to that day when my sinful nature departs me entirely and the new man that Jesus Christ promised me I would one day become, is no long a promise that I eagerly look forward to, but a reality that I experience.

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Sarah REALLY needs to broaden her vocabulary. She’s a little underdrawn at the “vocabule” bank.

{^_^}

herself on June 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

{^_^}

herself on June 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Yes, but just think of how much that would diminish your ability to feel smugly superior to her.

SWalker on June 11, 2012 at 2:55 AM

She’s a little underdrawn at the “vocabule” bank.

herself on June 11, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Yet how bizarre that her two-word proclamations reverberate and become emblematic. Blood libel. Hopey Changey. Death panels. Thank goodness she’s not a trained journalist or anything.

John the Libertarian on June 11, 2012 at 3:05 AM