Obama’s message to Netroots Nation: Change is hard

posted at 5:31 pm on June 10, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

This weekend in Providence, Rhode Island, progressives held their annual Netroots Nation conference, at which liberals came together to discuss policy goals and technology. Among the true progressives, apparently, the Obama-disillusionment is running fairly high, and there was a thoroughly conspicuous lack of Team Obama presence at the conference — there were no administration officials speaking, and few of the panels dealt with the upcoming presidential election outside the realm of voting rights and super PACs.

President Obama did take the trouble, however, to deliver a pre-recorded video message to the attendees, full of the usual platitudes about what he’s achieved so far and how far we have yet to go:

“I know it hasn’t always been easy. I know the petty political fights in Washington can be frustrating, and believe me, I know that. But I hope you’ll look back and think about the fact that everything you did, step-by-step and day by day, has helped bring about the changes we’ve fought for. …

Obama also mentions his ending of the war in Iraq and the killing of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

“At this make or break moment for the middle class, we face our most important fight yet, and now is the time to dig deep. Change is hard, but we’ve seen that it’s possible, as long as you’re willing to keep up that fight, I’ll be right there with you,” Obama concludes.

The cut-away to the family struggling to pay for their son’s healthcare bills, who will ostensibly find relief through the PPACA, is what really gets my goat. Whenever I see such a blatant appeal to my emotions, trying to garner sympathy as a reason for why a piece of legislation is a good idea, I’m always suspicious that I’m being played like a drum. This was just a commercial for the president to market himself, nothing more.

Yes, Mr. President, change is hard — and intellectually cheap demagoguery is easy. I’m not at all dismissing that there is true, material hardship that a heck of a lot of Americans have to deal with on a daily basis, but is another entitlement program really the most efficient, high-powered method for helping the greatest number of people in the long term? It would be great if we could just solve everybody’s problems by handing out free money, but that can’t work. If we really want to help people and protect the middle class, we need to dare to think critically about the possibilities of free enterprise and economic growth as the means to prosperity, not top-down government-mandated virtue trying to redistribute ‘fairness’ at every turn.

Comments

No more hope or change…

OmahaConservative on June 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

…JugEars brain is hard!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Netroots folk are by nature, bottoms.

Keep that change hard Mr. President.

tom daschle concerned on June 10, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Obama’s message to Netroots Nation: Change is hard

Obama’s message to Nation: “Change is hard…and so is my empty head.”

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Netroots or nitwits

gerrym51 on June 10, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I’m pretty sure they don’t care about this part.

thebrokenrattle on June 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Having to Work hard to appeal to your base. – not good

“as long as you keep up the fight, I’ll be right there with you”

This clueless wonder is incapable of leading

He’s asking his minions to lead

audiotom on June 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Listening to Obama complain that change is hard is like listening to an arsonist bitch about how hot the fire is.

turfmann on June 10, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Hemp and Choom, folks, Hemp and Choom…..

joe btfsplk on June 10, 2012 at 5:45 PM

“Understand this. If American workers are being denied their right to organize and collectively bargain, when I’m in the White House, I’ll put on a comfortable pair of shoes myself. I’ll walk on that picket line with you as President of the United States because Americans deserve to know that somebody is standing in their corner.”

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

“Change is hard, just like my head.” – Emperor B. Hussein OneTerm

Pork-Chop on June 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Well yeah, Cloward and Piven is hard, look at all the vacations they have to take.

But hey, after there’s no more election to win, he’s got a lot more flexibility. So hang on, the best is yet to come.

Speakup on June 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Translation: Those mean old Republicans won’t let me spend,borrow,steal another trillion on a new stimulus.

Fast and Furious was ALL Eric’s idea.

If you re-elect me, I promise I will raise taxes—on EVERYONE.

Rovin on June 10, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Oh — looky there — a Nutroots Nation candy-gram.

How nice.

FlatFoot on June 10, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Very nice FD!

Rovin on June 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Begging for the automatic vote, haven’t seen so much fun in months…

hillsoftx on June 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

The takeaway from the video was that the ‘O’ in Obama’s signature looks like a butt.

bettycooper on June 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m sure he’d be with them now if they had a big Hollywood star at the convention he could hang out with but lacking that he just cut a quick promo as he bounces between fundraisers with those Hollywood stars.

Note to the Netroots- you are just the “common class” in his eyes and not worth taking time out of his golf or fundraising trips for. Now back to the salt mines to try to get him re-elected because he cares about your plight./

PT Barnum was right, even though he never said his most famous quote, and the Netroots are living proof.

Betenoire on June 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

…he’s been going downhill all week!
…keep it up chump!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2012 at 6:00 PM

intellectually cheap demagoguery is easy

Something that Barry excels at!

Besides voting PRESENT! And golfing. And taking expensive vacations.

GarandFan on June 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

lol, a fitting venue for the Left.

22% of the residents live below the poverty line. And the public corruption among the government officials is legendary.

Del Dolemonte on June 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

i guess its better than a tweet?

cmsinaz on June 10, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Hopenchange is even worse.

Philly on June 10, 2012 at 6:16 PM

…the ‘O’ in Obama’s signature looks like a butt.

bettycooper on June 10, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Uh, wrong body part.

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

WAAAAAAHHHHH!

WAAAAAAHHHHH!!

WAAAAAAHHHHH!

NUTROOTS is upset; poor babies.

mountainaires on June 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

that’s the thing with liberals, the proverbial pot ‘o gold is just over the rainbow, just over the next hill, just after the next election. Thusly, the true believers are encouraged to soldier on, their emotions are played upon by their intellectual betters because they’ve been groomed to be emotional beings—to think with their uterii, their selfish needs, and the “greater good” and whatever the hell that is supposed to mean. Its no wonder that liberalism is a mental disorder, look at their messaging and the messagees.

ted c on June 10, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Try as he may
Try as he might
hE can’t make America
Socialist light.

/turn in the towel, Obama.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

WHO would believe a word “jug-ears” says? He’s a 4-Star-Pinochio!

“Understand this, Obama: We won’t vote for you; you are a liar.”

mountainaires on June 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

“Change is hard, just like my head.” – Emperor B. Hussein OneTerm

Pork-Chop on June 10, 2012 at 5:48 PM

..speaking of one-termers (more or less), from Durdge, seems like the butt-hurtin’ socialist pig of Venezuela is about to be unexpectedly dumped.

Sorry for the attempted threadjack, ma’am.

The War Planner on June 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Durdge == Drudge, of course.

The War Planner on June 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

intellectually cheap demagoguery is easy

Something that Barry excels at!

Besides voting PRESENT! And golfing. And taking expensive vacations.

GarandFan on June 10, 2012 at 6:05 PM

In his entire life, his only audience has been disaffected Blacks stuck in liberal utopia’s like Chicago and Detroit.

He couldn’t sell his Kool Aid in Realsville and it suxta be him.

I wonder if Michelle is throwing spaghetti at the walls about now.

Key West Reader on June 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

that’s the best you can do liberals. Change We Need to Change Is Hard. Both are meaningless, Zero Calories slogans. Put it on a bumper sticker and slap it on your Prius.

ted c on June 10, 2012 at 6:26 PM

notice what he didn’t say was hard…. Vacation. That’s been pretty easy the last few years, huh? Fly off on a date to NYC. Asia. Hawaii. Spain. No problem, the rest of us proles will foot the bill. Autopen real legislation but do the vacations in person….got it.

ted c on June 10, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Uh, wrong body part.

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Eww. premuhtooyer ejackyoolashun.
Which will be the political excuse when the big “o” loses in November. He was before his time….

bettycooper on June 10, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Any self-respecting American citizen would go out of their way to urinate on these nutroots extremists, but OBOZO, instead, sucks up to them like the despicable person he is.

TeaPartyNation on June 10, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Sorry for the attempted threadjack, ma’am.

The War Planner on June 10, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Wow WP, this is awesome! Is this guy for real? I mean he actually said……God Bless????? Please, make it so number one. :)

sicoit on June 10, 2012 at 7:02 PM

I’m always suspicious that I’m being played like a drum.

or, in the case of WI, a drum circle. But WI resisted..much.

the poverty of ideas in the Left is deep and wide. Regrettably because the media is leftist and ill-informed on most any subject (except how kewl the preezy is), the citizens have not a clue on things like healthcare

The US is run by lawyers and idiot journos and corrupt cronies, so honest, informed conversation about healthcare is impossible

here’s a Dr’s response to a moronic pos from the nyt talking about something they have not a clue

so when barry says that change is hard…that’s good. It means there is still, after decades of dis-information, the citizens resist…still

r keller on June 10, 2012 at 7:10 PM

demagoguery is easy

Yes, but it can be difficult to get those on your team to want to participate in such demagoguery.
Clinton & Booker had to be dragged into the fray.

itsnotaboutme on June 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

I hear Paul Krugman followed Obowma’s speech…

… Oh, wait!

Seven Percent Solution on June 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

“I’ll be right there with you,” Obama concludes.”

Just like WI…

*crickets*

Seven Percent Solution on June 10, 2012 at 7:19 PM

If they are using ObamaCare as an advertising vehicle, they need a better ad man.

JohnGalt23 on June 10, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Oh, man, that’s precious. I just pasted that photo in my piece from last week where I destroyed The Ferret’s asinine assertion that Reagan was a Keynesian and Obama is an Anti-Keynesian. I guess even many of the loons aren’t buying his bullshyt anymore either.

ROTFLMAO!

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

The Q(uestion)OTD should be:

If The Ferret Speaks To An Empty Room, Does He Make A Sound?

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 7:38 PM

if your going down…..go all the way down.. for a change

MrMoe on June 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I’ll be right there with you,” Obama concludes

he’s got a brand new pair of marchin’ shoes, right outta the box….never used. If they don’t seem to fit, he’ll send you support in a twit.

ted c on June 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Change is harder since The Tea Party put Obama in check.

southsideironworks on June 10, 2012 at 7:45 PM

It’s always so cute when he refers to “the middle class.”

Akzed on June 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

if your going down…..go all the way down.. for a change

MrMoe on June 10, 2012 at 7:42 PM

There’s that campaign buzz word… without the momentum they were looking for. Hard//

bettycooper on June 10, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It’s always so cute when he refers to “the middle class.”

Akzed on June 10, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Especially since they voted for McCain by 20 points…

Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Man, I like your style! You are an excellent addition to the HA team…keep up the good words!~

lovingmyUSA on June 10, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Especially since they voted for McCain by 20 points…
Resist We Much on June 10, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I know. It must kill Obooba to have to pander to people who despise him in the hope that 2% of them can be swayed.

They can’t.

He’s going to lose it by 40% this time.

It’s going to be so fun watching MSNBC for a couple days after the election!!!

Nielsen will have to come up with a new category: Schadenfreud Ratings.

Akzed on June 10, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Uh, wrong body part.

Flora Duh on June 10, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Ahem, he said “CHANGE” is hard.

Red Creek on June 10, 2012 at 8:47 PM

….Netroots Nation conference, at which liberals came together to discuss policy goals and technology b*tch, whine, and moan like 5 year olds denied a cookie before dinner, and generally bark at the moon.

Fixed that for ya.

William Teach on June 10, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Yeah, and banalities are easy.

That nails it.

“Change is hard, but we’ve seen that it’s possible, as long as you’re willing to keep up that fight, I’ll be right there with you,” Obama concludes.”

Right there with them? From the point of view of Left activists, the first thing Obama had promised to do was close Gitmo. That was Job Number One, and it was supposed to be done in 2009. Instead, he demagogued the heck out of the issue and then folded, painting the Bushies as villains with his words but conceding with his policies that Dick Cheney had been right all along. The Left activists hated it but they couldn’t do a thing about it.

It’s been downhill from there, basically.

What’s Obama’s response when he’s called on his refusal do do things he said he was running for election to do? The quote above is the essence of it, on every issue. Banalities that don’t address the real situation, or his non-performance, or anything.

David Blue on June 10, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I’m pretty sure they don’t care about this part.

thebrokenrattle on June 10, 2012 at 5:42 PM

I disagree, I think they do care about this and some might never forgive Obama for it.

Dollayo on June 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM

…but is another entitlement program really the most efficient, high-powered method for helping the greatest number of people in the long term?

To the Sh*t-stain-In-Chief, not only is it the best way, it’s the only way. Without government, you are capable of nothing.

SKYFOX on June 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Change is hard? So is math (apparently).

ironked on June 11, 2012 at 7:16 AM

Change is hard.

Golf is easy.

ajacksonian on June 11, 2012 at 7:31 AM

Obama’s message to Netroots Nation: Change Math Healthcare EVERYTHING is hard

NoFanofLibs on June 11, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Change is hard? OK. Let the people and the states handle the change then. Problem solved. (You know, I think I read that states and people thing someplace before…)

nhsteve on June 11, 2012 at 9:34 AM

The Obama “swamp” is OVERFLOWING in the toxic soup of “Chicago Style Politics” led by the corrupt National Socialists; Barack Hussein Obama and his billionaire buddies, cronies, and radical unions

- with their “Culture of Corruption” running rampant and is destroying our country. “Pay-to-Play” and “pay for access” has corrupted the radical leftists and national socialists while our country is going down the drain.

Do us all a Favor you National Socialist Commie Turd.

GO BACK TO KENYA!!!

Capt-Dax on June 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Math is hard, that’s why Obozo never studied it!

Conning people out of their money a second time is hard!

Communitay Ohganizin’ is easy–let Barack go back to Chi-town and dream of his daddy!

Steve Z on June 11, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Change is hard, and dollar bills are soft, but the donors don’t got no mo’. Gotta go ask Fitty Cent!!!

Steve Z on June 11, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Hey, Barry, “hard” is the oppose of “soft.” Change may sometimes be “difficult,” but it is not “hard.”

Colony14 on June 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM