The Texas Senate race turns ugly

posted at 12:31 pm on June 9, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

I don’t know if the Pony Express is running behind schedule or what, but somebody needs to pop down to the Lone Star State and let them know that the circular firing squad portion of this year’s entertainment is supposed to be shutting down. And yet, the temperatures seem to still be running well up into the red zone in the primary battle for the Senate seat being vacated by Kay Bailey Hutchison. The race has come down to a choice between Lt. Governor David Dewhurst and former state Solicitor General Ted Cruz, and the acrimony became audible recently when a crowd appeared to begin booing… Rick Perry?

A chorus of boos erupted Thursday at the Texas Republican Convention when Gov. Rick Perry repeated his support for U.S. Senate candidate David Dewhurst — an endorsement that has drawn the ire of tea party backers who contend the lieutenant governor is too moderate…

Perry too loves to call for defending the Constitution, and his speech had an arena full of delegates swooning early, laughing at his jokes and loudly cheering his most fiery anti-Washington rhetoric. But those cheers turned to loud and sustained boos from a large chunk of the audience when the governor said, “we need more conservative Texans in Washington D.C., including my friend David Dewhurst.”

Now, I don’t live in Texas so I don’t get to help decide who they send to the Senate, but I think we’ve seen this movie before and it doesn’t always end well. Cruz’s people have been planning this run – and lighting up the in boxes of bloggers across the country – since before CPAC 2011. The theme song seemed to be consistent with some campaigns from the 2010 cycle. Dewhurst is “too moderate” and he’s the “establishment candidate” so the Tea Party needs to get behind a “Washington outsider.” (Presumably Cruz.) But these same outsider loving folks used to be pretty hot for Rick Perry during his POTUS bid as I recall, and he seems to think Dewhurst is up to snuff.

I guess the “too moderate” part comes from the fact that Dewhurst effectively runs the state senate and sometimes has to – gasp – work with some of the Democrats in the chamber to get anything done. (And remember… these are Texas Democrats, not Barney Frank.) But either way, it seems to me that this “establishment candidate” meme is getting a bit played out, particularly if it just means that the guy has a resume with some real meat on it.

Of course, I’ve never heard of anything particularly disqualifying about Cruz either, and he seemed like a decent enough fellow when I met him. Still, some opponents have been pinging our in-boxes with questions about his wife’s involvement with Building a North American Community, and asking how solid Cruz really is on immigration issues. (Always a hot topic in Texas politics.) And Dewhurst needs to be careful to not get trapped into some sort of birther distraction and stick to the issues.

In any event, Texas Republicans seem to have some solid choices to pick from. Here’s hoping that they can get this situation nailed down and focus on the real battles to come in November.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Viva Cuba libre.

I love Perry, but go Cruz!

Perry is loyal to his Lt. Gov., which is admireable and expected.

Schadenfreude on June 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Good!

KOOLAID2 on June 9, 2012 at 12:35 PM

November follows July, so it’s all good.

Go Cruz!

Schadenfreude on June 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Um, that was same excuse we heard for that great Texas Republican, “conservative” GW Bush.

And if I recall correctly (which I do), one of the worst Socialist, HUGE Nanny State politicians America has ever seen was that “Texas Democrat” LBJ who was put on the Democratic ticket to bring conservative bona fides to the party… and since then the party has move 4000 miles to his left.

mankai on June 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Before the Perry bashing commences, to know him is to know a real man and mensch. It is a great privilege.

Loyalty is a fine, and rare these days (see Judas Richardson of NM) trait.

Schadenfreude on June 9, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Everyone I know is voting for Cruz, who is the true conservative of the two. It will be a close race, but I think Cruz can win. People seem to be in a mood NOT to elect those who are already holding some kind of office in the state government.

lukjuj on June 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Jazz, this is Texas politics and nothing new.

Every election cycle is like this round my way. You have a range of candidates who range from conservative to very conservative. And they all accuse each other of being communists.

Now, Kay Bailey really IS a RINO. But these two guys – uh, not…

CorporatePiggy on June 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

What you’ve missed is that Dewhurst has been running a very nasty, slimy, Obama-style campaign against Cruz, while Cruz has been campaigning around the state telling voters what he would like to do and why they should vote for him. Dewhurst hasn’t done squat about campaigning, because he thinks he’s too good for it and we should all vote for him by acclamation.

Perry has said nothing about this, and has just gone back to his wheeler-dealer ways. For that, he DESERVED to be booed. Perry *acts* tea party, but he’s never been the real thing, he only talks that way when he thinks there’s a profit in it. He sees himself with more influence with Dewhurst in the senate than he’ll have with Cruz, which is all you need to know about his depth of passion.

As far as Conservative goes, Dewhurst don’t come close, Perry is a wannabe, but Cruz is the real deal.

ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS!

Tom Servo on June 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The run off in July 31st and the turnout will be extremely low for obvious reasons. Every vote will count so they will fight it out to the bitter end and mount big GOTVs.

Whichever one wins becomes the next US Senator regardless.

CorporatePiggy on June 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Our home will be voting for Ted Cruz. I do not want dew-worse in dc, we have way more than enough rino’s there already!
L

letget on June 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

The Texas Senate race turns ugly

Turns ugly?

You ain’t been payin’ attention.

I didn’t like the booing, but I also don’t like the crap Dewhurst has been pulling for months.

He’s not a bad guy, and is still the favorite to win. But, he expects it to be handed to him and that should never happen. He has been acting that way and has no one to blame but himself about the criticism he is now getting.

I heard him on the radio the other day vowing to double down on his despicable attack ads.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

GW Bush makes GHW Bush look like a liberal! This guy is the real deal. He’s a true Reagan Republican through and through. Trust us. He was beloved by Democrats in Texas because they’re all really conservative too!

/2000

mankai on June 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Although…

Its not too late to start a write in campaign for Craig James, the savior of Lubbock!

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Mark Levin endorsed Ted Cruz.
Sarah Palin endorsed Ted Cruz.
I endorsed Ted Cruz (as if that means anything, but I did, anyway).
I believe RS McCain endorsed Ted Cruz.

David Dewhurst declared a bazillion times over in ads leading up to the May Primary that Ted Cruz is bought and paid for by Washington Insiders. David Dewhurst declared a bazillion times over that Ted Cruz did something bad to an American company (that isn’t even on American soil).

It wasn’t Ted Cruz that brought lie after lie after lie to Texas’ airwaves. It was David Dewhurst who did that. I know. I listen to WBAP on my drive between Killeen and Temple to and from work.

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

This is exactly what it takes to turn things around state by state.

lea on June 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I remember a certain Wisconsin Governor who the Tea Party deemed not conservative enough.

sammypants on June 9, 2012 at 12:54 PM

“it seems to me that this “establishment candidate” meme is getting a bit played out”

Why does something like this seem to pop up at Hot Air? I remember when the phrase “ruling class” was being used, and a blogger here dismissed it too. Just a bit played out. “Come on guys, our language is so dumb, dontcha think?”

robertlbryant on June 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Geez – if only to have a choice between two candidates like that.

Texas is damn lucky.

gophergirl on June 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Can I just weigh in here and state how happy I am Kay Bailey Hutchinson won’t be returning to the U.S. Senate next January.

I a definitely looking at my glass half full :)

Dr Evil on June 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

gophergirl on June 9, 2012 at 12:59 PM

We don’t know how good we have it sometimes.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Revenue enhancements, baby!

robertlbryant on June 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

This.

I’ve asked for people to give me substantive policy differences between Dewhurst and Cruz. The closest I’ve ever heard is that Dewhurst is a McConnell-style Republican, while Cruiz is a DeMint-style Republican.

As someone who respects McConnell and DeMint both, I can’t say that really sways me. I’m willing to acknowledge the Maine sisters, and former Senator Specter as RINOs. I think Murkowski and Hutchison are both RINOs. I think McCain is less of a RINO than the aforementioned ones, but still has RINO in him nonetheless. But McConnell? I can’t say I really have a problem with him.

If folks want to hang Dewhurst for being insufficiently conservative, then there needs to be some policy-basis to point to for how and why Cruz is a superior choice.

Stoic Patriot on June 9, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Since the Legislature went over to the Republicans a decade ago, there’s been a tension between the establishment and conservative wings of the party, with the establishment for the most part controlling the Leg, with Dewhurst running the Senate and Joe Straus the House. Perry, meanwhile, has been on both sides of the street, depending on what the political climate’s been — he was on the left after scraping out re-election with 39 percent of the vote in 2006 versus three candidates to his left, then moved back to the right in 2008-12 to beat back Hutchison’s primary challenge and then set up his own presidential run.

That bid having not reached optimum levels of results, Perry is now looking towards 2014, and one of the things Perry doesn’t want — if he is to maintain any national political viability into 2016 and thereafter — is to face another primary challenge, possibly from David Dewhurst, who was making noises about that before he opted for his Senate bid. For Perry, getting Dewhurst to Washington in 2012 means he won’t have to worry about trying to keep Dewhurst (and his big bank account) from taking his job in Austin in 2014.

So that in part explains why Perry lurched back towards the establishment side here. And while it could earn him a challenge from Cruz in 2014, Perry’s already called for another 10 percent cut in state spending in the 2013-14 biennial budget when the Legislature returns in January, so he’s already setting things up so that, as with KBH in 2010, nobody in the Republican Party’s going to get to his right in the run-up to 2014.

jon1979 on June 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

You see, Jazz, this is why you are not as well liked by the Conservative Wing of the Republican Party as you are by the Moderate heart and soul of the Republican Party. Your snide paragraph starting out with “I guess” is a typical “If [insert straw man] then [torch straw man]” format, with a bit of passive-aggressive thrown in as an accelerant.

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM

I’d heard that Perry and Dewhurst feuded quite often, and his support is more his (Perry’s) effort at getting Dewhurst out of the Lt. Governor’s office and state than a true endorsement. Any truth to this?

dhawbake on June 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Mark Levin endorsed Ted Cruz.
Sarah Palin endorsed Ted Cruz.
I endorsed Ted Cruz (as if that means anything, but I did, anyway).
I believe RS McCain endorsed Ted Cruz.

I live in Texas and I voted for Cruz in the primary, mainly because of the endorsements of Sarah Palin and Mark Levin. I was turned off by all of the negative ads (I also listen to WBAP), but especially the ones I heard from Dewhurst about Cruz’s history as an attorney.

OT, but I also voted for Romney in the presidential primary the same day, because it was so recently that everyone else on the ballot I might have preferred was already gone … a bit surreal.

toby11 on June 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

So now Hot Air not only SCOTCHES The Republican RINO Elite,

But it’s become the OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN PR DEPARTMENT for Republican Elitist RINO’s, AND

The Official Conservative and Tea-Party BASHING Mouthpiece…

Interesting…….

williamg on June 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I have to ask again – why is there no coverage of the Ohio Senate race with Sherrod Brown, the Michael Moore of the Senate, and his opponent the bright young (R) Marine (if I’m not mistaken).

I just ask because I saw Sherrod Brown being interviewed and the usual smug arrogant liberal bastard persona took a back seat to the PLEASE DONATE TO MY CAMPAIGN! WE CAN’T LET THIS GUY WIN! What do the numbers say? I had to look up his challenger and I couldn’t tell you his name right now.

Marcus on June 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

We don’t know how good we have it sometimes.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I would be over the moon with either one of them. Our choices here are so limited.

When Norm Coleman looks good – well nuff said.

gophergirl on June 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I wonder if this is something the Texas Rangers should get involved with, just so I can watch them operate. I love those big white hats and the jingly spurs.:) Yes, I did read Lonesome Dove.

a capella on June 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I’m looking for a story here, but I can’t seem to find one. Oh, you mean two people are running against each other? I’m shocked!

Dog falls asleep while biting man.

NotCoach on June 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Rick Perry is caught between a rock and a hard place because of Dewhurst. Since Dewhurst controls the legislature, if Perry came out in favor of Cruz, there would have been hell to pay if Cruz wins and Dewhurst remains as Lieutenant Governor. It’s the same reason that many prominent members of the legislature won’t support Ted Cruz as well.

Dewhurst went negative on Cruz almost immediately and it never stopped. Not only did the state convention boo Perry, it practically booed Dewhurst off the stage when HE addressed the floor.

The state politicians might be saddled with supporting either Dewhurst or no one, but the level of disdain that the convention holds for Dewhurst is a REAL testament to the sentiments about Dewhurst.

ehvogel on June 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Jazz

RE Heidi Cruz belonging to the Council on Foreign Relations group, that link you provided is from 2005.
1. I am not sure she is still a member. She now works at Goldmanc Sachs.
2. here is the current Website. look at the directors. mix from both parties

the cochair was in the Ford WH and there are as many Pubs as Dems

3. What on their agenda that would trouble anyone?They don’t seem to be advocating dismantling the 3 countries toform one

On immigration and amnesty I can tell you Ted Cruz is 100% against amnesty.
You have to hear his father, Rafael Cruz, tell his story and his faith and love of our country and its laws to understand where ted got his deep seated love of our Constitution especially the 10th Amendment to know he will join an ever growing group of real conservatives in the Senate and halt government encroachment.

Dewhurst reminds me of Obama. he is running against Cruz instead of running on what he did as a lt Gov

RWGinger on June 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I didn’t really care about either candidate until my radio got filled with slime. Then I did my research and found that the slime was a pack of lies from Dewhurst, whereas Cruz seems to be a good guy. Any politician sleazy enough to do what Dewhurst is doing, will be sleazy enough to act like Orrin Hatch – or worse….Orrin Hatch’s good friend Arlen Spector. Just say no to Dewhurst!!!

Rethers on June 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Marcus on June 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Having spent the first 44 years of my life in central Ohio before moving to central Texas, I can say Ohio Democrats are rather Leftist. (John Glenn, Howard Metzenbaum, Sherrod Brown) But the current Senate race is Democrat-leaning but attainable. Last I saw, Brown had a 47 – 42 lead over the Republican (whose name I can’t recall, either).

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

What a vapid, one-sided analysis of this Senate primary.

steebo77 on June 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Dog falls asleep while biting man.

NotCoach on June 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM

The story is that Perry got booed by a large number of delegates to the state convention when he spoke about Dewhurst to the state delegates. Bad form on Perry’s part, bad form for those booing. Red-on-red, if you will.

gophergirl on June 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

That needs to be pointed out to us occasionally.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The Houston Chronicle did and editorial endorsement of Dewhurst over Cruz. Their main point throughout the entire editorial was that Dewhurst is ‘congenial’. (The Chronicle, by the way, is firmly Democrat in its articles, their placement, its staff, its writers.)

‘Congenial’ has too often meant compromise principles. ‘Congenial’ is what has gotten us into the current economic mess of an over-reaching Federal government; that no cause is too trivial, no regulation is too over-arching, no enacted program is ever to be cut. ‘Congenial’ gave in to the Democrat wish list time and time again, restraint tax cuts to come later. Yah.

I don’t want ‘congenial’. I want principled. That does not mean ‘uncompromising’; it means a clear-eyed recognition that we have a spending problem, not a revenue problem. ‘Congenial’ has never acknowledged that, or even recognized it. I don’t need Dewhurst’s congeniality abetting the spending problems that we have.

Furthermore, Dewhurst’s ad campaign shows that he is anything but ‘congenial’. It’s all about him and his win. Know anyone else like that?

ss396 on June 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The dumbest argument I’ve seen about the primary is that Rick Perry must have some sort of ulterior motive for supporting someone he has worked with for nearly a decade.

Mister Mets on June 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

(And remember… these are Texas Democrats, not Barney Frank.)

Ummm.. Sheila Jackson Lee.

Need I say more?

ButterflyDragon on June 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Here’s a great piece that appeared at NRO last month. It helps explain what I was talking about earlier.

ehvogel on June 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Need I say more?

ButterflyDragon on June 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Eddie Bernice Johnson

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

In the last Congressional session there was a bill that would outlaw sanctuary cities, when it came time for the vote it was Dewhurst who killed the bill. Also, there is no need for Dewhurst to work with Demonrats as the Republicans hold a super-majority in the House and don’t need the D’s to pass anything. We are finally getting rid of KBH and it would be nice if we had a Senator that would be an improvement, and that most definitely would not be Dewhurst. 5 votes from this family for Cruz.

opustx on June 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Well, after all, the election, for all intents and purposes, is July 31. No one knows or has heard from the sacrificial lamb the Democrats are putting up in November. He has about as much chance as a snow cone on a Dallas sidewalk in August.

kbTexan on June 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM

This is all you need to know about Perry’s endorsement..

Perry does not like Dewhurst , he just want’s to get rid of him. If Dewhurst were not to get the Senate nod who’s job do you think he will be setting his sights on next ?

Answer : Governor Perry’s.

It’s all politics..Perry style..

RockyJ. on June 9, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Maybe it was, “CRRRUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZ!!!!!11!!11!!”

Bouncing Beatnik on June 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Eddie Bernice Johnson

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Yeppers.

It just amazes me that people think Texas doesn’t have it’s share of liberals that are just as disturbing as Barney Frank or Nancy Pelosi.

ButterflyDragon on June 9, 2012 at 1:31 PM

ss396 on June 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

But how do you know that the principled candidate is not uncompromising?

Mister Mets on June 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I live in Texas, and Doohurst missed plenty of events. He skipped out on the Saddle Up Texas Straw Poll the Tea Party had put together back in January. He’s skipped out on debates.

Doohurst is NOT a conservative and DOES NOT want to answer to the people of Texas.

madmonkphotog on June 9, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Ummm.. Sheila Jackson Lee.

Gads, did you have to bring that twinkie up at lunchtime?
L

letget on June 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Although…

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Don’t forget SMU.

bw222 on June 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Jazz, the Pony Express didn’t start until after we had already tamed Texas. The Pony Express sent the mail out to the Left Coast because those pansies didn’t like being out of touch with New York City. Texans didn’t care about New York City.

Limerick on June 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

They WERE , then they learned about the dofus Perry.

the_nile on June 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Now, this is what I’m talking about. Sherrod Brown is an “excuse me while I put my hand in your pocket and just take some money out of your wallet for that poor drug addict over there who stinks” type Democrat and if a year where Romney JUST might have some coattails, even from Ohio and with a 5 point deficit you don’t recall the Republican candidate’s name?

And yet we’re due here for Bloomberg sugar drink column number 53 or 54.

Marcus on June 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Cruz has my vote in the runoff as he did in the primary.

Not really sure what the point of this post is, Jazz. We all know Perry had to endorse Dewhurst, and the booing wasn’t anti-Perry. And many of us who were pretty pro-Perry in the presidential primary are also plenty aware of his shortcomings. Anyone who watched him debate KBH and Medina was already thinking that his debates were going to be underwhelming.

TexasDan on June 9, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What a vapid, one-sided analysis of this Senate primary.

steebo77 on June 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yup.

the_nile on June 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Wow. I live in Lubbock, Texas and I voted for Dewhurst in the Primary. After reading the comments, I think that I will be voting for Cruz in the run-off. :)

Theophile on June 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Jazz, this is Texas politics and nothing new.

CorporatePiggy on June 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

LOL

Go RBNY on June 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Don’t forget SMU.

bw222 on June 9, 2012 at 1:43 PM

That’s for when conservativevegan is around. Craig James being the savior of Lubbock is special for ALyT.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Marcus on June 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM

The challenger’s name is Josh Mandel, and a very conservative young Marine veteran, whom I’m going to happily vote for.

FoxyLady on June 9, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Who was for Perry for more than about 2 weeks? Even most Conservatives in Texas weren’t for Perry.

huckleberryfriend on June 9, 2012 at 1:52 PM

What a vapid, one-sided analysis of this Senate primary.

steebo77 on June 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Yup.

the_nile on June 9, 2012 at 1:47 PM

What do y’all expect?

Now, I don’t live in Texas

We don’t get our picante’ sauce from New York City either.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 1:53 PM

CorporatePiggy on June 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That sounds about par for the course for anything heavily run by right-wingers…it’s like lefties and accusations of racism.

MelonCollie on June 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Dewhurst pulled the TSA anti-groping bill off the floor when they had the votes for it to pass. The DOJ sent a letter threatening to stop all Texas flights. Dewhurst caved. If he is intimidated with a little ol’ letter, what’s he gonna do for us in Congress? Hide underneath the desk?

There are plenty more reasons as to not vote for him. Recently, wanting a debate in Spanish? Whisky Tango Foxtrot?

Southern Tragedu on June 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

A Texas Republican in the US Senate is better than any Texas Democrat…

Focus, people… FOCUS…

Khun Joe on June 9, 2012 at 2:05 PM

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Just so you know, Mark Davis is back on the air in the DFW market, at 660 am KSKY, from 7-10 in the mornings! We are so happy to have him back!

parteagirl on June 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Theophile on June 9, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Thank you! Any if any family or friends in Lubbock voted for dewhurst, please ask them to look into Cruz to get their vote.
L

letget on June 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

If I had to choose between resurgent conservative movement and a three-term governor, I would choose the renewed conservative movement, not the fossil of the ex-Democrat.

Perry’s endorsement of Dewhurst is one among many signs that his life in politics is coming to an end—all the better if it gets snuffed out quickly, before it causes collateral damages.

novakyu on June 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

The idea that “Texas Democrats” are a different breed is laughable. These jerks invented the whole “leave the state so the legislature can’t function” strategy which has been repeated in several other states since.

Make no mistake: Democrats are Democrats. They support Obama, socialism, handing out taxpayer-funded goodies to their interest groups, and gutting America’s values and defenses.

Just because a small percentage of Texas Democrats oppose NAMBLA doesn’t make them a decent breed. It’s like saying, “Nah, why worry about that gangrene, it’s just on one toe!”

Now, I’m sure Dewhurst would be far superior to any Democrat in the Senate. He’s just a few hormones and an operation away from actually becoming Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

Adjoran on June 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM

It’s BEEN nasty, Jazz. And the nastiness has been coming from Dewhurst.

Eren on June 9, 2012 at 2:16 PM

parteagirl on June 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I like Mark Davis. But I don’t think I can pick up that station this far south of DFW. WBAP has a very strong signal, so that’s how I can listen to that station. I live 170 miles’ drive away from Dallas. That’s a looong way for a radio signal.

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 2:17 PM

so that’s all you got Jazz, snark? How about putting some thought into it and going through each issue where the tea partiers have concerns about Dewhurst, and the backlash Dewhurst himself created with those ridiculous ads linking Cruz to China I suppose now that you are a full time contributor to Hot Air I’ll have to put up with these intellectually lazy quips of yours which don’t touch the back story behind it all.

We don’t want another compassionate conservative, we don’t want another John Cornyn, we want a Rand Paul or Mike Lee, but from Texas. Right now, Cruz looks to be that guy, so he will be supported for now.

Daemonocracy on June 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM

parteagirl on June 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM

This I didn’t know! 660 I hope comes in better than it used to, usually it’s like listening to three stations all at once unless you live IN Dallas. His replacement before Rush come on is a big yawn.

Marcus on June 9, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Ummm.. Sheila Jackson Lee.

Need I say more?

ButterflyDragon on June 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

That’s Queen Sheila to you, uh-huh.

slickwillie2001 on June 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM

…Pony Express? I get it, you’re trying to be funny, but it gets on my nerves when people act like Texas is stuck the wild west. We’re proud of our history, but remarks like that, especially from outsiders, get my back up. Secondly, the race has been ugly for a good long while, and most if not all the nastiness I’ve seen originates with Dewhurst. If I’d have been there, I would have booed him for bringing up Dewhurst. All his ads I’ve seen have been nothing but scurrilous, baseless attacks on Cruz, and people have every right to be upset with him about it. As for Perry, it’s not as if he’s the darling of the texas conservatives – he does what he thinks will get him votes. He’s not the most staunch conservative there is, there’s just enough of us in the electorate to keep him in line (and everyone else is worse). But the main point of the booing was Dewhurst, not Perry.

AndStatistics on June 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Electing moderate Republicans in order to “get things done” has been what we’ve done for years now. And the results are not very good.

We need to elect consistent limited government hawks in order to “defend liberty and limited government” not to “get things done” and over time we can get enough in there go GET THINGS DONE.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

(And remember… these are Texas Democrats, not Barney Frank.)

Jazz, buddy, if you don’t think we’ve got some Barney Frank type democrats in Texas, you’re wrong, think again.

RoyalFlush on June 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

The Houston Chronicle did an editorial endorsement of Dewhurst over Cruz. Their main point throughout the entire editorial was that Dewhurst is ‘congenial’. (The Chronicle, by the way, is firmly Democrat in its articles, their placement, its staff, its writers.)

ss396 on June 9, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The Chronicle endorsement is reason enough not to vote for Dewhurst. The Houston Chronicle LOVES illegal aliens and is always printing some sob story, ergo their choice of Dewhurst over Cruz. Dewhurst helped kill the anti-sanctuary city bill, or shall we say, made sure it didn’t get to the floor for a vote. He challenged Cruz to a debate in Spanish, since he speaks fluent Spanish and wants to pander to hispanics. I heard Cruz on KSEV this week saying how he was not going to debate in a language that Americans can’t understand nor will he because we live in the U.S. and speak English. Dewhurst would be in the Mitch McConnell reach across the aisle camp. No thanks, I’m going with Cruz.

TxAnn56 on June 9, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Then in your second to last paragraph you fire away…..BANG BANG BANG.

Passive aggressive indeed.

KMav on June 9, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Bet Cornyn endorses Dewey.

elowe on June 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Bet Cornyn endorses Dewey.

elowe on June 9, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I’ll take that bet. Cornyn got spanked over Christ. And remembers.

He may be squishy, but he ain’t stupid. Well, probably not stupid.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM

I was the official timekeeper at a candidate forum in central Texas before the primary. Dewhurst was the only no-show. He was rewarded by Cruz winning the straw poll with 67% of the vote afterwards. Cruz is the real deal. Sharp, articulate and knows what he stands for. Dewhurst spent 10mil of his own fortune to run a campaign that saturated the airwaves with lie after lie.

Those boos for Perry last about 10seconds. Dewhurst was treated nicely when he spoke but this convention is very supportive of Cruz.

PatrickHenry599 on June 9, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I didn’t even vote in the primary because I have no preference other than beating the tar out of the Democrat this fall.

NoDonkey on June 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Rick gave a wonderful and inspiring speech at the convention, where I volunteered.

I was embarrassed he was booed, even though I’m a Cruz supporter.

Rick Perry is like Marco Rubio.

Really, really likeable and both sound so damn conservative, but then they go ruin everything by pandering to the Latino vote. UGH!

Walker was steadfast.
We want conservative leadership.
Likeable candidates that know the ropes, are no longer enough.

Limbaugh Rule rules.

Typicalwhitewoman on June 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

LMFAO – I’m sure that to you, it is. Just as I’m sure that to you, it always will be.

Jazz Shaw – “Establishment Conservative”.

Hot

Gas

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 3:01 PM

opustx on June 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Southern Tragedu on June 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

This is why he’s not getting my vote.
He talks conservative, but he’s been a little too actively killing conservative legislation for my tastes.

Plus, I’m really sick of hearing about how his daddy flew a B-52, and that entitles him to my vote, or something.

WhaleBellied on June 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Ya know, the word “unexpected” fits here. Jazz Shaw wrote a passive-aggressive straw man “you iggerunt bastiches need to be civil now” post, and “unexpectedly” got his head handed to him by people who actually have the facts on their side. It just happens so many “unexpected” times when Jazz is the author. Who could have “expected” that outcome, other than, say, everyone?

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Jazz, this is Texas politics and nothing new.

Now, Kay Bailey really IS a RINO. But these two guys – uh, not…

CorporatePiggy on June 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Yep…cowboy politics…the usual

workingclass artist on June 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM

WhaleBellied on June 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Are ya sick of hearing how Cruz’s daddy fought for Castro?

Either one will do Cornyn’s bidding

workingclass artist on June 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM

It’s really simple Jazz and I’m surprised you don’t get it. Most conservatives follow the “Buckley rule” — that “we should support the most conservative candidate who is electable”.

Cruz’s record compared to Dewhurst shows that he fits the conservative platform better. Either man will win the general election. Therefore, you elect Cruz.

Or do you not want the most conservative electable candidate elected?

njrob on June 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Either one will do Cornyn’s bidding

workingclass artist on June 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Nope, Cornyn doesn’t have the clout to push either Cruz or Dewhurst around.

Dewhurst has his own clout and Cruz has TEA party backing, and huevos.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Oh, lookie there. A dishonest troll. “Workingclass artist”, you really need to work on your deceitfulness. Nobody’s buying it the way you’re packaging it.

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Are ya sick of hearing how Cruz’s daddy fought for Castro?

workingclass artist on June 9, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Nope, can’t say that commercial was playing on every single commercial break on the radio for the past month – Dewhurst’s “my daddy flew airplanes” ad was.

Can also say Cruz never robocalled me – Dewhurst, at least once a night for about three weeks in a row.

If it’s a tossup, as you propose, Cruz wins on his “didn’t irritate the s%#t out of me” merits.

WhaleBellied on June 9, 2012 at 3:20 PM

When Dewhurst talks conservatism, it sounds like he’s trying to speak a foreign language.

When Cruz does, it comes natural. He’s a great salesmen for conservatism.

dforston on June 9, 2012 at 3:21 PM

John Hitchcock on June 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Relax, not a troll, just a relative noob to Texas, IIRC.

You have to think back to Tower, or Benston, to find a Texas senator with actual clout over another Texas senator.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Dewhurst is certainly in the Romney mold of Republicans. He’s rich and moderate. Although I would rather have had a more Conservative candidate for President, I will vote for Romney enthusiastically and knock on doors and hand out literature. But I feel comfortable doing this because I believe a House and Senate with enough Conservative Republicans can keep Romney to the right. Cruz represents the better choice for that scenario, and so, down here in Texas, that’s who I’ll vote for.

Go Ted Cruz!

JonPrichard on June 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

JonPrichard on June 9, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Yep. And very well put.

cozmo on June 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You are correct Mr Shaw, you don’t live in Texas and you are way off base on your comments about Dewhurst… he wanted a state income tax – does that sound like a conservative to you. Not in Texas. And, you want to talk cheesy… Dewhurst challenged Cruz to a Cruz is not fluent in spanish and Cruz handled it like a statesman. All anyone needs to know is that Sen Jim DeMint and Mark Levin endorse Cruz. If anyone wants to know the scoop on this listen to Mark Davis KSKY 660 am in DFW. Catch his podcast if you are not in the DFW area

uber-con on June 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Remeber the Sec of State push to secure a valid vote? Dewhurst pushed hard against the Tea Party and forced in a very questionable choice. Didn’t listen, wouldn’t respond to emails and basically told Texas to STFU.
Payback Baby. The Tea Party ain’t dead yet.

Pecos on June 9, 2012 at 3:29 PM

oopsy meant to insert the word debate – sorry

uber-con on June 9, 2012 at 3:30 PM