House kills Obama proposal to slash spending on armed airline pilot program

posted at 6:31 pm on June 9, 2012 by Howard Portnoy

Who says Barack Obama isn’t working to reduce government spending as promised? Why, in March he proposed reducing funding by half for the Federal Flight Deck Officer Program. This is a program that permits commercial airline pilots to keep firearms in the cockpit and to use lethal force to defend against air piracy. The measure would have saved taxpayers $12.5 million, which doesn’t amount to much, but the president also recommended trimming the Federal Air Marshal Service by $36.5 million.

Yesterday, Obama’s proposed cuts were rejected by the House of Representatives, according to a press release from Transportation and Infrastructure Committee Chairman John L. Mica (R-Fla.). The provision to override the cuts was included in the Department of Homeland Security Appropriations Act (H.R. 5855), approved last night. Of the Obama cuts, Mica said:

Having armed pilots in the cockpit is an important layer of defense against terrorism, especially given the endless examples of the massive TSA bureaucracy’s other failures. It would be foolish to gut security programs that actually work, like the Federal Flight Deck Officer Program, in which our airline pilots bear much of the training costs and help ensure the cockpit is defended.

Obama’s proposed cuts were minuscule compared to the robust $7.6 billion budget his administration earmarked for the grossly ineffectual Transportation Security Administration. But, hey, you can’t accuse the president of not keeping his word to trim the budget—or of having well-ordered priorities.

Between its founding in 2001 and July 2011, the TSA was guilty of committing 25,000 security breaches. This included various and sundry weapons being carried through airport checkpoints and in many case aboard aircraft. Obama’s plan would thus have cut security dollars where they are most desperately needed—to subdue miscreants who succeed in breaching the porous barriers overseen by the TSA.

Related Articles

Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at howard.portnoy@gmail.com or by posting a comment below.

This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.

Comments

I prefer my pilots armed please.

Bmore on June 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

House kills Obama proposal to slash spending on armed airline pilot

The fake anti spending house strikes again. Lolol

loveofcountry on June 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Why does it always have to be a “program” nowadays? Wasn’t there once a time when the Legislative Branch created laws? It shouldn’t cost $12.5 million to amend a no-guns-on-airplanes rule to say “…except pilots.”

joe_doufu on June 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM

How about Barry KILL the $20 MILLION PR contract to sell ObamaCare to the public? Or maybe KILL that $6 MILLION contract to his favorite Chicago hospital.

Or would that cut into his campaign funds?

GarandFan on June 9, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Can’t have armed pilots, but got to pay people to grope us. Right.

Glad the House of Representatives has its priorities in order. The White House doesn’t.

backwoods conservative on June 9, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Guy with unlimited security seeks to limit security of others.

txhsmom on June 9, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Guy who calls 1/2 of Americans the enemy not real concerned about their security.

txhsmom on June 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Face it
We elected a traitor

Grunt on June 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

The pilots are defending against muslim terrorists. It makes sense that BO would not support that.

phxconservative on June 9, 2012 at 6:50 PM

loveofcountry on June 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

We’re talking the equivalent of pocket change.

mankai on June 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Face it
We elected a traitor

Grunt on June 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Don’t blame me, I voted for Sarah Palin…

OmahaConservative on June 9, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I prefer my pilots armed please.

Bmore on June 9, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Want my business for life?

Make it a requirement.

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The Department of Homeland Security’s myopic obsession with relieving the pilots and/or the traveling public of any and all means of defending themselves in the now unlikely event of an airliner, train or bus hijacking is still the best proof yet of their reliance on a top-down, we’re-in-charge, the people are too stupid to fend for themselves attitude manifested at transportation terminals across the country.
Kip Hawley, ex-TSA administrator said in a Wall Street Journal article not long ago the mindset of the bureaucracy was still in ‘bunker mode’ and besides, the TSA is now unionized, prompting Mr. Obama to ‘play favorites’. Go figure.
It is not now nor has it ever been about ‘security’ but the bureaucracy continuing to hide the previous administration’s culpability in the events leading up to the 9-11 attacks.
One hand always washes the other.

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Guy who’s killed 1 border guard, 1 ICE agent, and 200 Mexicans doesn’t care how many other people die.

txhsmom on June 9, 2012 at 6:57 PM

What War on Terror? Zero has never heard of such a thing. Dare you not speak of it.

Philly on June 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Face it
We elected a traitor

Grunt on June 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

What’s this “we” business?

SagebrushPuppet on June 9, 2012 at 7:03 PM

He’ll only cut spending on stuff that’ll make us safer…

CycloneCDB on June 9, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Call me when I can bring my Swiss Army knife on a flight.

CurtZHP on June 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Airline security is doing just fine.

hillsoftx on June 9, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Airline security…national security…who needs that stuff?

///

lynncgb on June 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Obambi’s latest tactic to help his muslim terrorist brethren.

RoadRunner on June 9, 2012 at 7:24 PM

We are +$16 Trillion dollars in debt…

… we are looking at +$100 Trillion in unfunded liabilities, and Obowma wants to disarm the only people on a plane that if they wanted to kill you, they could just crash the plane.

O_O

Rapid Response Romney should jump all over this…

… then ask for suggestions on other places to cut the budget.

Seven Percent Solution on June 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Call me when I can bring my Swiss Army knife on a flight.

CurtZHP on June 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

This.

TSA owes me at least three swiss army keychain knives.

(Makes me want to poke ‘em with my plastic toothpick).

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

(Makes me want to poke ‘em with my plastic toothpick).

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 7:29 PM

If you weren’t on THE LIST before, you are now.

davidk on June 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Amendments to HR 5855:

Votes on said amendments:

marinetbryant on June 9, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Call me when I can bring my Swiss Army knife on a flight.

CurtZHP on June 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

This.

TSA owes me at least three swiss army keychain knives.

That’s nothing. I had to relinquish a very nice push button knife one time. (this is an automatically opening knife, similar to a switchblade) My son left it in an outside pocket of my suitcase unbeknownst to me.

cheetah2 on June 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Can’t find a good link to “Thomas”.

marinetbryant on June 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM

I like the idea of armed pilots but they can come off the 150 bux for lessons themselves if the feds do it, it will be a billion dollar debacle.
or just run’em thru pistol qual at any USMC range.
Use existing overhead.

esnap on June 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

The One does not believe we are in a war against Islamist terrorists, unless you count His drone attacks.

He does not believe that terrorism really exists. Rather, He believes in “man-caused disasters”.

The One hates guns and their owners. He is doubly incensed at the entire concept of self-defense.

He views armed aircrews as “provocative” and an insult to Islam.

And of course, He views anyone not part of the TSA Tammany Hall as a “handicap” to real security.

I strongly suspect that He believes that 9/11 was a “fluke”, and that future hijackers will go back to the old waltz of taking hostages, making demands, and releasing said hostages once they get what they want.

Which means that even if future hijackers don’t try to use the plane as a giant-sized cruise missile, we will still be in the position of saying, “We’ll do whatever you want, just don’t hurt us.”

And yes, He is a big enough damned fool to believe that the enemy is “reasonable”. Because their ideology is so much like His own, being anti-Western, anti-civilization, and obsessed with “feelings” and dogmas rather than dealing with reality.

It’s not so much that He wants innocent people to die at the hands of fanatics, as it is that He just doesn’t care. To Him, they aren’t “really real” anyway. The only “reality” He acknowledges the existence of is the one between His ears.

This is what you get when you put a callow youth educated beyond His capacity for understanding into the Oval Office. With or without a case of malignant narcissism to go with it.

clear ether

eon

eon on June 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

TSA: $7.6B and they have never caught a terrorist. I’m feeling safer just thinking about it.

STL_Vet on June 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I hope we are buying them bullets, too…

ExpressoBold on June 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

eon on June 9, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Hammer, nail, head — some assembly required

+1000 Dude, that was pure poetry

AZfederalist on June 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I hope one of the first things President Romney does is hire some Israeli airplane security dudes to revamp our airport security.

davidk on June 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM

One hand always washes the other.
LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Truther?

Barred on June 9, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Another vote down party lines. Thanks for caring about our safety, Dems! Not!

Eren on June 9, 2012 at 8:03 PM

As per always with Obozo, we must cut funding for anything which results in something of Value for the average person (i.e. Vouchers in Washington D.C., the Military et. al.)
But, we must increase spending on anything that will be wasteful or more controlling of the Unwashed Masses.

jaydee_007 on June 9, 2012 at 8:04 PM

One hand always washes the other.

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

\

I have to ask, are you just saying this stuff to make a stir, or do you genuinly belive this kind of Garnfoolnery?

jaydee_007 on June 9, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Call me when I can bring my Swiss Army knife on a flight.

CurtZHP on June 9, 2012 at 7:18 PM

This.

TSA owes me at least three swiss army keychain knives.

cheetah2 on June 9, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Not defending TSA but…

Is Seattle Tacoma International Airport Unique?

I’ve had to relinquish a Multi Tool, a Multiple Bit Screw Driver and even a Mini Maglight before different flights, and each and every time I put it into a Bag with my Name and Address on it then swiped my Credit Card and when I returned home there was a UPS Package waiting for me with my Tool in it.

Is Seattle the Only Airport doing this?

jaydee_007 on June 9, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Sure he does. CAIR a terrorist funder is in charge of eliminating Islamist terrorist from every document in America. And overlooking every program in America that might stop terrorist. Fox guarding the henhouse.

Those drone attacks are just to hide what he is really doing with his other hand. Something for him to point to and distract us. A way to let the real terrorist destroy not just hurt America.

Obama has done more damage to this country than all terrorist and all enemy countries have in the last twenty years.

Steveangell on June 9, 2012 at 8:14 PM

TSA equals union jobs. They are part of Obama’s economic re-election strategy.

STL_Vet on June 9, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Face it
We elected a traitor

Grunt on June 9, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Ann Coulter once was debating a Democrat on his vote for a massive cut in the US Defense budget. He said that he didn’t want to weaken US defenses. She asked “How would have voted if you did want to weaken US defenses?” I call it the Coulter question. Just apply it to this situation.

scrubjay on June 9, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Truther?

No and I never take what those with an interest in allowing this nation to be swallowed by her enemies(foreign and domestic)lightly. I had an inordinately curious perspective into the 9-11 hearings, which, by the way, the Bush administration attempted to block and after an in depth reading of the book was able to confirm what I’d instinctively knew to be true; it wasn’t an inside job but it might as well have been considering how little they did to stop what even the FBI said would be a likely scenario. Boy, where they ever right, huh?
Educate yourself, read the book.

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

I support the idea of armed pilots, but in no way think there should be a $25 million per year federal program for it. Should be zero taxpayer dollars. Pilots want guns — make em buy the guns & training themselves.

AngusMc on June 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

AngusMc on June 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

… and the pilots would be perfectly happy with that. My understanding is that the pilots supply their own firearms, ammunition and pay for the training. The $25M/year money is the TSA not trusting the people flying the aircraft to be armed and pays for all of the paperwork and processes set up to make it difficult for the pilots to be armed.

AZfederalist on June 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

If you weren’t on THE LIST before, you are now.

davidk on June 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Heh.

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Pilots want guns — make em buy the guns & training themselves.

AngusMc on June 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Are you really serious? It is not just about having guns and knowing how to shoot. The training must include how the pilot and co-pilot work together, training under simulated conditions, and using the same firearms. If they don’t train properly and with the same weapons, they wouldn’t be able to fight as a team, and may not use the same ammmo, magazines. They’d be useless in a real fight.

STL_Vet on June 9, 2012 at 9:02 PM

What I would prefer to see are pilots carry canisters of sticky foam. That way they can spray would-be hijackers with it, immobilize the terrorist/s, and eject him/them into one of the jet’s engines in some dramatic fashion just like in the movies.

Ahh, a boy can dream.

madmonkphotog on June 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

AZfederalist on June 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

This is exactly the case.

GWB on June 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

madmonkphotog on June 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

As great as that would be, you know the airlines would make ‘em pay for the engine they would ruin. And some passenger would get their panties in a bunch over having to divert to East Tittyoot, Nebraska.

GWB on June 9, 2012 at 9:18 PM

Bearmace.

WeekendAtBernankes on June 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Once again, politics wins over common sense. Most likely this program could find 10 or 15 percent to cut from their budget easily. But it’s all or nothing. Every department should be forced to trim what they can across the board first. Taxes should be off the table until that is done.

mike_NC9 on June 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Bearmace.

WeekendAtBernankes on June 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

No effect on my mother-in-law.

Tim_CA on June 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Put down the tinfoil and step away from the Ron Paul fliers sir…

Bunsin2 on June 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Bear Mace?

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear’s sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

I prefer they use firearms and are trained in their use. Ways to avoid mace’s affects that you can pack in your laptop case. Not so much a bullet, unless you count putting that Macbook up to catch the first round. Or a Halliburton briefcase, perhaps.

ProfShadow on June 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Put down the tinfoil and step away from the Ron Paul fliers sir…

This is a ‘tin foil-free’ zone but believe what you will, or what you’re told.

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

AngusMc on June 9, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Hey, why don’t we make police buy their own guns while we’re at it? Idiotic. This is called an occupational hazard, which is why they are and should be equipped with sidearms. It’s not like we’re doing it so they can pretend like they’re tough guys.

The Count on June 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

…oh…I want to count on TSA!

KOOLAID2 on June 10, 2012 at 1:21 AM

3000 burned mangled and crushed Americans vote for armed pilots.

Plus the 2 trillion dollars lost from our GNP..

Oh, and impeach that worthless POS in the White House.

TexasJew on June 10, 2012 at 5:17 AM

I can add to that one more. One time, I was headed out on a trip and got pulled over for a search after my bag went through the x-ray machine. A TSA agent pulled out a pair of scissors that I had forgotten about. Upon further searching, the agent took out a bottle of cologne that was too big and confiscated it. He then proceeded to place the scissors back into my bag himself and sent me on to the terminal.

These people are braindead.

blammm on June 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Why do we have these 2 federal programs since the TSA is doing such a bang up job of patting down old ladies in wheel chairs and feeling up 4 year olds. Seems to me if the pilots want a glock, they could buy their own or maybe the airlines would pick up the tab.

Kissmygrits on June 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

The Count on June 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Police work for the government and taxpayers, so taxpayers foot the bill. Pilots work for private companies. Taxpayers should NOT foot the bill.

This is just another sickening pork barrel handout to the airline industry.

AngusMc on June 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

LizardLips on June 9, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Good point, LL.

One has to recall that on 9/11, the airport security “professionals” completely failed us. It was the amateurs – namely, the “ordinary” passengers on Flight 93 – who rose up against the hijackers and prevented the fourth attack from being successful.

SubmarineDoc on June 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The fake anti spending house strikes again. Lolol

loveofcountry on June 9, 2012 at 6:35 PM

A 7.6 Billion TSA screening program is OK with you, yet you want to cut 12.5 Million out of a last-line-of defense program for cockpit security? (Especially when it has been demonstrated repeatedly that a large number of weapons make it through the screening process.) Do you really understand that million – billion thing? Or is it just higher mathematics to you?

You basically prove the stereotype of liberals throwing money at a problem, while us conservatives find cost effective solutions to problems.

I am kind of glad you posted, because you demonstrate how stupid liberalism is.

SubmarineDoc on June 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

.. braindead, contd .. – -
from the early-days, when *anything* that looked sharp & pointy was verbotten – - my LEO buddy had to give-up his nail clippers, but the TSA goon was fine with the shiney badge in the credentials case .. you know, the kind thats attached by a 2-1/2 inch folding stick-pin.

.. when you open the dictionary to jackwagon

CaveatEmpty on June 10, 2012 at 6:54 PM