Pelosi: Those bishops suing HHS don’t speak for the Catholic Church

posted at 10:41 am on June 8, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Today, a series of protests around the nation for religious freedom will take place, in part to support the 43 Catholic institutions and dioceses that have filed suit against the HHS contraception mandate as an unconstitutional incursion on the free expression of religion.  CNS News went to the most important and well-informed Catholic in American politics to get her reaction to the lawsuit, and to find out whether she supports it:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D.-Calif.) said on Thursday that the 43 Catholic institutions—including the Archdiocese of Washington, D.C., and the Archdiocese of New York–that are suing the Obama administration over its regulation mandating that all health-care plans must cover sterilizations, contraceptives and abortifacients are not speaking for the Catholic Church.

CNSNews.com asked Pelosi, who is Catholic, whether she supported her church in the lawsuits it has filed, which argue that the administration’s regulation violates the freedom of religion guaranteed by the First Amendment.

“What about the 43 Catholic institutions [that] have now sued the administration over the regulation that requires them to provide contraceptives, sterilizations, and abortifacients in their health care plans?” CNSNews.com asked. “They say that violates their religious freedom.  Do you support the Catholic Church in their lawsuits against the administration?”

“Well, I don’t think that’s the entire Catholic Church,” Pelosi responded. “Those people have a right to sue, but I don’t think they’re speaking ex cathedra for the Catholic Church.  And there are people in the Catholic Church, including some of the bishops, who have suggested that some of this may be premature,” Pelosi said.

For those who wonder what ex cathedra means, it refers to declarations from the Pope considered to be infallible.  They are exceedingly rare; the only one of which I’m aware since the formal declaration of the ex cathedra process established the doctrine in 1950 that Mary was bodily transported to heaven.  Popes do not issue ex cathedra declarations on issues pertaining to governance, not even of the church itself.  The doctrine that opposes abortion and contraception goes back to the earliest days of the church, and doesn’t require an ex cathedra declaration.  Pope Paul VI’s Humanae Vitae in 1968 recapitulated that doctrine and brought the teaching into modern times, and bishops rely on it as instruction to themselves and the faithful.

The problem in this case is that Barack Obama, Kathleen Sebelius, and Nancy Pelosi are trying to dictate ex cathedra their definition of religious expression — in order to curtail it.  The Constitution doesn’t allow them to do that, and the bishops are making that point plain.

As most Catholics outside of Capitol Hill know and understand, the bishops speak for the Catholic Church, quite literally within their own dioceses, and in every other way when united as a group.  They do not need an ex cathedra declaration to make decisions on public policy (and as I noted above, most of them would go a lifetime without seeing one anyway).   Furthermore, the US Conference of Catholic Bishops unanimously oppose the HHS mandate and have called for opposition to it.  That is speaking with as much unanimity as one is likely to find within the Catholic Church, and while that doesn’t mean that every Catholic has to agree with it, it does mean that every Catholic should at least recognize that the bishops are indeed speaking for the Church in this matter.

Speaking of which, the Catholic bishops will be participating in today’s rallies, and in a “Fortnight for Freedom” protest that follows (via Asian Conservatives):

Under the leadership of national co-directors Eric Scheidler and Monica Miller, Stand Up For Religious Freedom has built a coalition that includes 96 Catholic and non-Catholic religious and civil rights organizations.

Stand Up For Religions Freedom’s first nationwide rally took place on the anniversary of Patrick Henry’s “Give Me Liberty of Give Me Death” speech. Its upcoming event coincides with the 223rd anniversary of James Madison’s introduction of the Bill of Rights to the first U.S. Congress.

The new wave of protests comes as the Supreme Court prepares to rule on the 2010 health care law, under which the contraception mandate was drafted and finalized. The mandate requires employers to purchase plans that include coverage for contraception, sterilization and abortion-inducing drugs, even if doing so goes against their beliefs.

Soon after the June 8 protests, U.S. Catholics will join with their bishops in a “Fortnight for Freedom” dedicated to religious liberty.

Some may choose to close their ears.  Others will hopefully have them opened.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I’m not Catholic, although my wife is. BOTH of us are stunned that Pelosi and multiple Democrats haven’t been excommunicated from the Catholic Church yet.

My understanding is that excommunication happens when egregious violations of Church Doctrine have taken place, the offender has been confronted with these and asked to repent and has refused. Perhaps there needs to be a more formal confrontation, but Pelosi et al’s utter refusal to follow Church doctrine on this issue seem prime facie to be a complete rejection. Is this not enough? Why are these slimy lowlifes still allowed to call themselves Catholic? Why have excommunication procedures not been started?

Are American Bishops still so weak kneed that they won’t confront a politician in not only espousing anti-doctrinal views, but then VOTING on laws that are anti-doctrinal?

I don’t get it.

wearyman on June 8, 2012 at 10:57 AM

just sayin. The Apostle paul, when he confronted a false teacher and demanded that he repent, he refused, so Paul commanded Satan to take his soul. These Bishops better grow a pair and do likewise, both within the priesthood/nuns and with lay leaders that prominently wear their religion on their sleeves, yet teach the opposite doctrine.

No wonder the Church is so weak, when leaders refuse to use their Christ-given powers. These jokers will wake up when Satan starts taking some of them.

AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

onlineanalyst on June 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Excellent observation.

Cleombrotus on June 8, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Judgement day is going to be a looooong day for old Nancy. She’s got some ‘splaining to do.

BacaDog on June 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Actually – I thjink it’s pretty cut and dry for her. The process should go fairly quickly.

CycloneCDB on June 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Reminds me of when China appointed their own Dalai Lama.
Nancy seems to believe that the Church is a vehicle for governance and therefore it is hers to use.

notalemon on June 8, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The San Francisco Super Ego speaks.

Kenosha Kid on June 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Oh let’s not get excited. Pelosi calls herself Catholic, Judas called himself an apostle….
Nothing new under the sun.

Don L on June 8, 2012 at 11:30 AM

I am pretty sure she does attend Mass regularly; she was raised in a very devout Catholic family and started her political career fairly late in life. She is like many deluded liberal Catholics who really believe they are living their faith by advocating more and more government spending and action “for the children” and “for the poor.” Catholics need to own up to this liberal interpretation of doctrine and not call people like Pelosi fakes.

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

She is not a Catholic, stop perpetuating that lie.

She has excommunicated herself. She can pretend that she’s Catholic but she is not.

NoDonkey on June 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

CNSNews.com asked Pelosi, who is Catholic

No. Pelosi says she is Catholic. Two different things.

Christian Conservative on June 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

As for excommunication, the Church tried that about 20 years ago with a female state rep. in San Diego who was running for state Senate on an unabashedly pro-choice platform. Her excommunication created a firestorm and a huge backlash against the Church, and she won her election easily. The bishops have nothing to gain by making martyrs of pro-abortion politicians.

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

The Bishops don’t speak for the Catholic Church? I gotta believe that’s going to be NEWS to the them.

FineasFinn on June 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

It’s been almost 20 years now since the Supreme Court ruled unanimously on this:

That case sets a VERY high bar for the government before they can compell a religion to do something, or forebear from doing something. If goverenment can’t tell the Santerias they may not sacrifice goats, chickens, turtles, etc, it’s hard for me to see how government can tell Catholics they must provide reproductive services to employees at their universities.

radjah shelduck on June 8, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Well, that’s the whole point of trying to use the insurance industry to backdoor socialist policies into existence. They’re not mandating religious bodies to do anything–they’re mandating insurance companies to force religious bodies to do things, which they thought would be an artful dodge, but it has turned out to be anything but, since the government is still taking the heat for all of this.

mintycrys on June 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Pelosi’s statement is almost as stunning as the 1950 discovery that Mary was “bodily transported to heaven.”

I wonder how many Roman Catholics know that Thomas Aquinas, probably the leading saint of the medieval period, denied the extrabiblical notion of Mary’s “Immaculate Conception.” Indeed, Aquinas rightly belived that Mary was conceived in original sin, just like all sons of Adam.

Sorry to offend, but I won’t withold the truth to avoid giving offense.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

First of all you are talking about two different dogmas, the Assumption and the Immaculate Conception.

What is your point? Not only was the Assumption not dogmatically declared in the 13th century, but St. Thomas was not the Pope. I’m pretty sure if you delve deeper you will find that St. Thomas defered to the Pope on such issues. You think maybe there was some additional prayer and discussion in the 700 years between St. Thomas and the pronouncement of the Immaculate Conception?

It seems like you are just a anti-Catholic bomb thrower.

Goldenavatar on June 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Her attacks on the Church are becoming more strident.

She doesn’t attend mass anymore. In what sense is she Catholic? The only time she dons the mantle of Christianity is when she’s attacking the Church.

theCork on June 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

No. I’m sorry but I remember the warnings when I was a child (I’m 58) that we do not practice our religion one day a week and do whatever the hell we want the rest of the time.

And while the Church has always believed in social justice, we were never taught to covet the goods of others, or to pursue justice by taking what others do not give.

She isn’t practicing Catholicism as I learned it.

Kraken on June 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

She has defined herself as a Sunday Christian and the rest of the week as not. From her lips to God’s ears.

Bell, book, candle.

JoseQuinones on June 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Stayright: I would not be surprised if Thomas Aquinas disagreed with the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. He’s not always right. ;) I can also cite Augustine’s position on a few matters, if you like.

Furthermore, I am not sure why you bring this up when the doctrine Ed is discussing is the doctrine of the Assumption, not the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. (I do know how they’re connected, but I see no use of that connection here.)

Scott H on June 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I brought it up because I was reading about Aquinas earlier today. I also brought it up because I believe Romanism is a dangerous false religion, not biblical Christianity. I love how the “church” discovers new historical”truths” with regularity and cannot seem to agree with itself. What one pope “infallibly” declares another pope can “infallibly” undoes. Amazing.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

ALL LIBERALS, LEFTIES, CRYPTO-COMMUNISTS, ALL THOSE WHO EMBRACE THE AGGRESSIVELY IGNORANT, THE IRRESPONSIBLE, THE HEATHEN RECIDIVIST TOXIC CRIMINALS THAT ARE A CANCER ON SOCIETY, ARE HEREBY DAMNED, AND DECLARED EXCOMMUNICATE FROM THIS SOCIETY, AND ARE FOREVER CUT OFF FROM ALL PRIVILEGE HERETOFORE ENJOYED. SO SHALL IT BE WRITTEN, SO SHALL IT BE DONE!

(sorry for the Caps, but it just works better that way)

Coronagold on June 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

One has to draw mental pictures…Vichy Catholic?

Don L on June 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

So Pelosi has now declared herself spokesperson for the Catholic church. Just ignore those Bishops & others. Listen only to Pope Pelosi.

taznar on June 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

liberal interpretation

There’s a reason “liberal interpretation of the rules” means “cheat”.

Dexter_Alarius on June 8, 2012 at 11:42 AM

As the years pass,and her political career comes to a close, Nancy will confess her sins and believe that she has covered her bases with the Almighty. She thinks she’s more clever than the average sinner and smarter than God.

Exit question: will Botox keep her wrinkle-free while she rolls stones up the hills of Hell?

walkingboss on June 8, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Well, she can say she’s Catholic, but I wouldn’t want to be in her shoes in a few years, trying to explain her hypocritical, heretical positions. I don’t wish her (or anyone) to go to H@ll, but it may be very hard for her to be in union with her God with attitudes and views like this. I believe she’s going to have one very rude awakening.

SailorMark on June 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Excommunicate Pelosi

John the Libertarian on June 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM

not biblical Christianity.

Who do you think wrote that bible and preserved it all those years before “biblical” other Christians came along?

Disagreement is one thing, confusion is another.

Don L on June 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Nancy Pelosi, head of the Catholic Church, California version.

And can we please cut out the ‘cunning stunt’ nonsense? While the difference between her and Michelle Malkin is that I actually respect Ms. Malkin, I still don’t want to see conservatives stoop to Maher level insults.

The_Livewire on June 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

living a life of faith is more than “doing my religion in Sunday in Church”. Pelosi seems to reinforce Obama’s view of reducing freedom of religion to freedom of worship only. a person of true faith will “do religion” every day, inside and outside of church.

stalwart on June 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Those bishops suing HHS don’t speak for the Catholic Church.

Neither do you, Nanny Pelosi. Neither do you.

locomotivebreath1901 on June 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

“you know what, I do my religion on Sunday at Church…, not here”

There’s your problem right there.

The Ritz on June 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Pelosi is as Catholic as Liz Warren is Cherokee….

Jim M. on June 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

She does not attend mass regularly. I believe she was instructed by her bishop not to receive communion not long after 2009, but the Church nowadays tends to handle that as a private matter.

theCork on June 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Of all the stupid things Comrade Pelosi has ever uttered, this has to be the stupidest – of course the bishops speak for the Church. Who did she think they were speaking for? Maybe in her delusional state, she thinks that SHE is speaking for the Church

jayhawkingeorgia on June 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I mean to Sorry to offend, but and I won’t withold (my version of)the truth to avoid giving offense.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

SailorMark on June 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I thought we were supposed to be afraid of politicians who wear their religion on their sleeve and legislate based on their faith.

I’m so confused….

blindside on June 8, 2012 at 11:59 AM

not biblical Christianity.

Disagreement is one thing, confusion is another.

Don L on June 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

So the first Christians were “Roman Catholics?” Nonsense. It took centuries for the apostasy to be fully realized. There have been Christians who believed in the gospel of grace alone since the events recorded in Acts. Your “church” persecuted millions of them.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith —and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God—not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9)

This is my last comment. I didn’t intend to disrupt and I don’t want to debate. I have been studying the historical wickedness of the Catholic church lately, so it was on my mind. I shouldn’t have said a word because I could care less if Pelosi is out of step with Rome.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I see. Well, when you shake off the veil of confusion that has covered your eyes and muffled your ears, you can always return to the church. The door is always open to folks like you who have strayed from the true faith. I will pray that you find your way back home.

TKindred on June 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM

jayhawkingeorgia on June 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:03 AM

SailorMark on June 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I stand on the TRUTH of God’s word alone, not on the pronouncements of a succession of purple and scarlett clad Roman pontiffs.

From Revelation 17:

4 The woman was dressed in purple and scarlet, and was glittering with gold, precious stones and pearls. She held a golden cup in her hand, filled with abominable things and the filth of her adulteries. 5 The name written on her forehead was a mystery:
babylon the great, the mother of prostitutes, and of the abominations of the earth.

BEWARE!

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Pelosi elevates herself to Pope…

aposematic on June 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Someone needs to tell Pelosi that she doesn’t speak for the Catholic Church. When was the last time she has been to Confession?
It appears it’s been too long, otherwise she would not be so bold to speak as she does. I’ve seen her “fruit” over the years and it is rotten.

I applaud the Bishops and the American Family Association and any other group that have come out against this Unconstitutional Mandate.

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

But you seem to have no trouble citing St. Thomas who was fully Roman Catholic.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This is simply nonsenese. No dogmas have ever been rescinded by a later pontiff.

Goldenavatar on June 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

*nonsense

Goldenavatar on June 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM

They must have an awfully “liberal” Bishop in San Francisco!!! Maybe that’s something the Pope should be looking into!

DixT on June 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM

This is the first image of Pelosi I’ve seen where her hair was not hair-perfect, and she’s starting to look kind of ragged around the edges. She’s also taken to unconsciously smacking her lips, the way very old people sometimes do. Her voice was scratchy, so maybe she’s sick, but I think being out of the governance loop is taking its toll on her. She should retire and go spend time with her grandkids. Really.

RebeccaH on June 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

By the way Nancy, the bishops and even local priests do speak ex cathedra when they articulate doctrines of the supreme Magesterium.

See the Catechism of the Catholic Church Section 891.

hooligan on June 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Pelosi must imagine herself to be head of a new Liberal Catholic Church of California, since she apparently thinks she speaks for the Church and the Bishops do not. Nancy Pelosi, face of the Democratic Party. Enjoy, nitwits.

littleguy on June 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Is Pelosi the member of a Parish ANYWHERE in the U.S.? If so, who on earth is the Pastor of that Parish, and what is he doing about this fallen-away, renegade member? Is she being denied Holy Communion? Clearly the Catholic Church is NOT holding this woman accountable. They’re doing the same thing with her that they’ve being doing with pedophile priests….ignoring her and hoping the problems she’s causing with just disappear.

olesparkie on June 8, 2012 at 12:20 PM

“Well, I don’t think that’s the entire Catholic Church,” Pelosi responded. “Those people have a right to sue, but I don’t think they’re speaking ex cathedra for the Catholic Church.

Nancy Pelosi – The San Francisco Pope.

Tim_CA on June 8, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

But you seem to have no trouble citing St. Thomas who was fully Roman Catholic.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Goldenavatar on June 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM

I cited Aquinas merely because he’s so revered, yet he did not believe what recent popes have declared must be believed. I find that interesting.

Perhaps you aren’t aware of all those popes who did not believe in the Immaculate Conception of Mary, including Leo I, Gelasius I, Gregory I, Innocent III, Innocent V, John XXII (or Benedict XII)
and Clement VI. I’m sure there were more. Those men infallibly disbelieved something that wasn’t infallibly asserted until centuries later.

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

She says “she does her religion on Sunday, not here”, unless, of course, she can twist it to somehow support her positions. I’ve never seen her shy about proclaiming herself as Catholic and speaking on behalf of Catholics before . . . was it the question she can’t honestly answer that suddenly prompted her shyness?

tpitman on June 8, 2012 at 12:34 PM

For whom do they speak, then? The Muslims?

totherightofthem on June 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Look at that neck! Gobble-gobble.

slickwillie2001 on June 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

She’d have to have read the First Amendment to know what’s in it……..

Tenwheeler on June 8, 2012 at 12:38 PM

This coming from a woman who rides her broomstick to her job each day.

logicman_1998 on June 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Yah. I missed that part in scripture where God deferred to political backlash and popular culture. The nice thing about the Church is that they’ll have the money to get a good legal team(s) and make the administration eat this.

John_G on June 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

BEWARE!

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

So, Stayright, which pro-abortion sect do you belong to?

theCork on June 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

John_G on June 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Scripture also doesn’t record Christ discussing the policies of the Roman senate.

dedalus on June 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

John_G on June 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

They should start by taking Peter as their example of “obeying God rather than Man” and let the chips fall where they may. I hope it goes to court before the elctions, so those fallen away can take note and decide where they stand – with God or against God – and vote accordingly.

AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Just at church, not at this press conference.

Now, another press conference might be different…perhaps that press conference was in church.

Doesn’t matter because HER words are batsh!t crazy whatever and wherever they are.

Shay on June 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

dedalus on June 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

You are aware that Peter & Paul, among other Biblical Christians took their cases to court?

AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 1:00 PM

“you know what, I do my religion on Sunday at Church…, not here”

There’s your problem right there.

The Ritz on June 8, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Indeed. For these kinds of people, religion is a sometime thing, reduced to saying a few words here and moving a few body parts there, not much different from a poetry or dance recital. There is no understanding of how a Church serves as a channel of grace that is meant to permeate our entire lives. This is why the current administration has such trouble understanding the backlash from religious groups which are not actual parish organizations. “What do you mean you’re a religious organization? It’s not like you’re holding services.” As if that’s all it means to be of a particular faith.

… I believe she was instructed by her bishop not to receive communion not long after 2009, but the Church nowadays tends to handle that as a private matter.

theCork on June 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

If her Bishop told her that, then she is already excommunicated.

Stayright on June 8, 2012

Please stop trolling. You really want to argue denominational differences and the finer points of theology? There are plenty of places where that’s more appropriate. Like this one: http://forums.catholic.com/ Otherwise, it would be appreciated if you stuck to the topic at hand, which is Ms. Pelosi’s meager understanding of her nominal faith and the nature of church/state relations under the US Constitution.

Libraritarian on June 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Why is this confounded video with audio playing constantly? I despise these automatic videos/audio inserts. I certainly don’t listen to nor desire to listen to apostates.

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

RebeccaH on June 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Well, she doesn’t have access to the taxpayers money anymore since she lost the House Speakership,, to use it for yet, another makeover, complete with liftings, botox and so on….as you know, the Dims are not exactly known for using personal money for such frivolous things :), this is what taxpayers’ money are for….

jimver on June 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Stayright, I spend almost all of my time around Christians of profound faith and love for Jesus. All types of Christians of many denominations, including the Eastern churches (which, by rights, you ought to hate as much as you do Roman Catholics, but apparently don’t).

And none of them–none of them–holds the hate in his heart that you do.

Please take this observation with the sense of love and charity that it is intended: It’s not your love of Christ that is filling your heart with so much animosity toward the Catholic Church.

Nessuno on June 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

In her own words, Pelosi does her religion on Sunday. That explains her support for immoral legislation like abortions-on-demand and ‘gay’ marriage. She simply did not vote for things like that on Sunday. This is proof that she is a good Catholic. Now leave her alone.

maryo on June 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I have never understood why the Church does not excommunicate the ‘Catholics’ who loudly advocate anti catholic policies…

JIMV on June 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Someone needs to tell Nancy to mitigate that lip smacking. It belies her advanced age, even if the botox and surgeries keep her looking much younger than she is.

maryo on June 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I wish the Church of today used excommunication more often. When this disgusting hag says “I am a Catholic”, I have a burning desire to sew her mouth shut – and I am an atheist.

Archivarix on June 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I stand on the TRUTH of God’s word alone,
Stayright on June 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Not exactly. Not if you don’t believe that when Jesus founded his church, he passed authority to his successors:

Jesus named Peter the future leader of His Church, when He said to him “Thou art Peter (Rock), and upon this rock I will build MY Church. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven .” (Matthew 16:19).

John 16:14: “When the Spirit of truth comes He will guide you to all truth”
Luke 10:16: “He who hears you, hears me”

I hope you do find Truth. Peace to you. I’m out.

SailorMark on June 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Would be nice if Pelosi knew how to pronounce Ex Cathedra if she is going to speak for all the other Catholics (the ‘e’ in edra is a long ‘e’ like eat). Listen to pronunciation here. Maybe it’s a California thing.

STL_Vet on June 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I haven’t read all of the comments yet, due to that aggravating auto video. However, I’ll stand with you on this statement. Scripture also states” And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.” Joshua 24:15

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

O/T: Because Congress has nothing better to do. . ..

totherightofthem on June 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Just to be safe, I wouldn’t stand anywhere near Nancy Pelosi if I had anything flammable.

Kensington on June 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

RebeccaH on June 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Maybe she is drinking too much of her winery’s wine, -’getting high on her own supply’.

slickwillie2001 on June 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I am not Catholic, nor am I religious, but I cannot understand the logic of being for gay marriage, for abortion and for this law and STILL claiming to be Catholic. The Catholic Church is not a democracy, it’s dogma is clear-cut on all of these issues. The Church excommunicated people and put entire nations under interdicts for far less egregious violations of Catholic principle.

TheLastBrainLeft on June 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Nancy claims religious authority(ex Cathedra) to justify doing evil.

Satan tempts Christ by claiming religious authority;(Scripture)

Nothing new under the sun….

Don L on June 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Archivarix on June 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

LOL, I’m sure many feel that way for other reasons. I felt like that when she was Speaker!!

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yup. We covered it from both OT and NT.

Just my thot, but in reference to my original thot at the top of page 2, the scary thing about “commanding Satan” is that if your personal faith is not complete (figment of a mustard seed?), Satan WILL flip the tables on you.

Perhaps this is why the priesthood have been loathe to seriously defend the church with all of their Christ-given power at hand. To wit:

Mark 6:7: “And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits;”

Acts 19:13-16: “Then certain of the vagabond Jews, exorcists, took upon them to call over them which had evil spirits the name of the Lord Jesus, saying, We adjure you by Jesus whom Paul preacheth. And there were seven sons of one Sceva, a Jew, and chief of the priests, which did so. And the evil spirit answered and said, Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are ye? And the man in whom the evil spirit was leaped on them, and overcame them, and prevailed against them, so that they fled out of that house naked and wounded.”

Pelosim, Sebelius et al are unclean, loudly proclaiming to represent Christ AND the Church and need to be resolutely dealt with. That they aren’t points to a serious weakness within the Church leadership.

AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Sorry Catholics, You may be able to govern the Mexicans but this is America.

Observation on June 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

The bishops have nothing to gain by making martyrs of pro-abortion politicians.

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM

More to the point, if you believe Catholic doctrine, excommunication is not a step taken lightly even for a politician that supports killing children. That the church leaders reject this attack on religious freedom is what is important here not vengence against a few key actors who happen to describe themselves as Catholic even though there is zero proof of it.

What I would like to see is a ban on serving communion to any of these abortion-loving Catholics. If you are not supposed to participate in the sacrament before having confessed, I’m at a loss why they should be allowed to receive communion having a long track-record of supporting sin.

Happy Nomad on June 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

“All your Catholics are belong to us”!!

44Magnum on June 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Happy Nomad on June 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM

A ban on serving communion IS excommunication.

Libraritarian on June 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Sebelius has already been warned by at least one bishop not to present herself to receive Holy Communion.

Pelosi, Sebelius, the Kennedys, Kerry and others have, in effect, already excommunicated themselves for helping to enact or protect abortion laws. Any bishop can issue a warning privately. A press release formally excommunicating Pelosi and others is too daring a step for the most weakling, wishy-washy bishops. Incidentally, the Pope has explicitly stated that pro-abort politicians are automatically excommunicated.

Pelosi is what used to be quaintly called a heretic. The angels would sing heavenly choruses of joy if an American archbishop would stand up in front of a microphone and say so. He would also perform a great spiritual work of mercy by refuting and denouncing the evil that this deluded fool shills for while pronouncing a formal rite of excommunication. In Latin, so it really puts the fear of God into her.

But don’t hold your breath.

spiritof61 on June 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Nancy Pelosi is trying to deflect and distract. This is sad, I am sure those same Bishops she’s trying to dismiss are praying for her soul.

Dr Evil on June 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Well Duh! As an ordained Catholic priest and a constitutional scholar, Pelosi knows what of she speaks! /s

TerryW on June 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Yeah. According to P, only she can do that.

IrishEyes on June 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

The woman is already excommunicate, but is too stupid to know it.

mkenorthshore on June 8, 2012 at 3:29 PM

So is Nanzi Catholic Catholic?

My vote is for simply “Mind Numbingly Stupid”, as usual.

Keep talking Nanzi – keep digging your comrades in a deeper hole.

Better yet, just go away.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

rockmom on June 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM

It is one thing to perform the act of alsmsgiving using your own money, and quite another to use the money from the pocket of the stranger next to you for that purpose.

The former act is quite acceptable to God — while the latter is not.

Indeed, that is what we Catholics have been taught from the beginning — that faith and works are inextricably intertwined — that you cannot make any claim to faith without being willing to perform the necessary accompanying works.

Those works certainly do not include forcing others to give alms, or to do things which are anathema to their core beliefs.

I’m not about to own up to a doctrine which is so baldly anti-Catholic that hearing it voiced by another Catholic holding great political power over the rest of us sends a shiver of fear down my spine. It’s what you’d expect Tony Alamo or some other anti-Catholic bigot to express — not one of our own.

unclesmrgol on June 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

A ban on serving communion IS excommunication.

Libraritarian on June 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Not true. I am not a eucharistic minister — therefore, I cannot serve Communion. I am not permitted to do so without training of the sort Ed can speak at length about.

I can, however, receive Communion.

Excommunication in the Church is reserved for those holding clerical (priestly) functions who teach heresy. Such an act is extremely grave — it’s why Martin Luther was excommunicated.

As for non-clergy, well, we are all sinners, but we do not have any ecclesiastical weight behind our teachings concerning what is or is not Catholic dogma. That includes Nancy, and, sadly, myself as well.

unclesmrgol on June 8, 2012 at 4:04 PM

‘I do my religion on Sundays at Church.’ – that’s pretty much what the mandate is saying everyone should do. That, my dear San Fran Nan, is the problem! By being clueless, you actually nailed it in one single statement. And, no, you certainly don’t do your religion when you vote against protecting innocent lives – especially girls – from abortion doctors. Good grief. This women should just start ‘The Church of Nancy’ – Joe Biden can join. Please, Nancy, will you also list the Bishops who find this premature? Last I heard, 100% of the Bishops in the USCCB support the fact that this mandate will NOT be adhered to and have encouraged civil disobedience. Clueless.

joadard on June 8, 2012 at 4:08 PM

TheLastBrainLeft on June 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

You raise good points. When one portrays themselves as a Christian of any denomination or Catholic or of the Jewish faith, then their words and deeds should reflect that belief. If they don’t, then their words and deeds bear witness that they are not what they claim to be. One’s words and deeds witness against them & that is fruit. And we are to judge their fruit. God will mete out what correction they may need even if their particular Church leaders do not.

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Nancy, for your penance say 5 trillion Hail Mary’s.

diogenes on June 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Aunt Clara looks ragged, like she hasn’t slept in a couple of days. And what is she chomping on at the beginning of the clip? Bad manners.

And her hair is a complete mess. If she can’t keep herself groomed, she should just go with a wig.

Hag.

And it goes without saying that what comes out of her mouth is utter idiocy–nobody could mistake her for other than a garden-variety libtard.

MisterElephant on June 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

They should start by taking Peter as their example of “obeying God rather than Man” and let the chips fall where they may. AH_C on June 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Had some errands to run and then my Desktop had a Fatal System Error..grrrr. Took care of that.
I had another thot after reading some of the other comments. Your “obeying God rather than man” brought this to mind
regarding Pelosi. She is not obeying God (the Catholic Doctrines) nor Man (the U.S. Constitution) whether with her words or deeds. I would think that she would be very miserable. Hoping that she will see the Light.

bluefox on June 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Oddly enough… her religion being limited to ‘Church on Sundays’ doesn’t apply here, or here, or here, or here, or here, or here, or here… the list goes on and on and on.

Oh and ‘ex cathedra’ means ‘from the chair’ meaning from the chair of the Pope or Bishop in the way in which she used it. Oddly enough, the lawsuits referred to were from institutions of which MANY fall under the guidance of the Dioceses in which they are located meaning that without the permission of the Bishops, they wouldn’t be permitted to file. In other words – they actually ARE speaking ‘ex cathedra’. Wrong again San Fran Nan!

joadard on June 8, 2012 at 4:55 PM