Obama: Let me be clear, the economy’s not doing fine

posted at 4:41 pm on June 8, 2012 by Allahpundit

The week had to end this way. After they gave Cory Booker the “Cory who?” treatment for going off-message and then twisted Bill Clinton’s arm until he was willing to profess idiocy to get them off the hook, we now have The One finally forced to pooper-scoop himself.

You know it’s a five-alarm fire when the damage control can’t wait two days for Axelrod’s obligatory dreary appearance on the Sunday shows. Status of America’s pain: Felt.

“It’s absolutely clear the economy is not doing fine,” the president said while sitting alongside Philippines President Benigno Aquino in the Oval Office. “That’s the reason I had a press conference. That’s why I spent yesterday, the day before yesterday, this past week, this past month and this past year talking about how we can make the economy stronger. The economy is not doing fine. There are too many people out of work. The housing market is still weak, too many homes underwater and that’s precisely why I asked Congress to start taking some steps that can make a difference.”…

That said, the president said that there were many other problems with the economy, including small business owners have difficulties securing financing, and state and local governments laying off teachers, police officers and firefighters. That’s why, he said, he was pushing for his “Jobs Bill” that independent economists argue would create a million jobs…

The president said “what I’m interested in hearing from Congress and Mr. Romney is what steps are they willing to take right now that are going to make an actual difference. And so far what we’ve heard are additional tax cuts that the folks who are doing fine as opposed to taking steps that would actually help deal with the weaknesses in the economy and promote the economic growth that we’d all like to see.”

Republicans nationwide are dutifully rubbing his face in his mess this afternoon, first and foremost among them the man of the hour in Wisconsin, but here’s my favorite reaction. Remember how Team O made McCain choke in 2008 when he said the “fundamentals” of the economy were strong? Well, it’s payback time:

[F]ormer McCain aides, now, are relishing the moment.

“McCain was trying to calm people at a moment of real crisis — i think his intentions were good,” one former top aide said in an email. “Obama’s just trying to build support for raising taxes and make the case for his own stewardship.”

Another former McCain aide was blunter.

“We very much look forward watching Team Romney put Obama’s head in a vice over this,” he emailed “What goes around comes around, assholes.”

Words to live by, my friends. Here’s Boehner, with Cantor alongside him, tightening the vice a few hours ago. Exit question: Are we sure the public’s going to scoff at him for what he said about the private sector? Remember, there are a lot of idiots out there think adding 60,000 jobs a month is pretty darned impressive.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

“That’s the reason I had a press conference. That’s why I spent yesterday, after I got back from my fundraisers in California, and the day before yesterday, while I was flying to California for my five fundraisers, and this past week, while I was visiting with George Clooney, and this past month, while I was playing a few rounds of golf, and this past year, while I was vacationing with the family, talking about how we can make the economy stronger… It’s the first thing I think about when I wake up – and the last thing I think about before I go to bed.”

Hill60 on June 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

El Presidente is a moron.
at least, we know one thing from his incredibly poor performance at this news conference: he’s not wearing a secret earpiece to feed him answers.

Although, if he sounds even vaguely intelligent in the debates this fall, we should suspect it.

n0doz on June 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

None story. McCains the fundamentals of this economy is still strong gaffe didn’t stop you all from voting for him. Once again none story.

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

It’s pretty damning when the President of the United States thinks the economy is doing just swell when the numbers — the hard facts — say otherwise. Let’s be honest: It was a major gaffe and a stunning display of ignorance.

Now then, I think Romney should do what Obama did in 2008 and have a 1/2 hour infomercial on how Obama screwed everything up and how Romney will fix it. Romney will, after all, have the $$$ to air it (not so sure about Obama! LOL!!!)

Punchenko on June 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

I bet BO was so pi**ed that he had to lower himself to the level of Bill Clinton and Cory Booker. Probably thinks he’s too smart and too good a politician to do the “walkback”.

If Clinton misspeaks because he is old and senile what is Obama’s excuse?

This is just too funny.
You can always count on the media-fabricated genius to make a fool of himself whenever he dares to go off script.

bailey24 on June 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Punchenko on June 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Romney has now overreached by insinuating he wants to fire teachers policemen and firefighters. He has muddied up the Obama gaffe with his own gaffe.

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Obama: Great orator or greatest orator?

McNinja on June 8, 2012 at 7:44 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Hey’s that fine with me They get paid too much too

Conservative4ev on June 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

so what about you…you think the private sector is doing fine or not?

r keller on June 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

He has muddied up the Obama gaffe with his own gaffe.
lovefcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Man,it took you guys longer than usual to come up with some sorry-ass deflection.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on June 8, 2012 at 8:00 PM

He has muddied up the Obama gaffe with his own gaffe.
lovefcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Mitt speaks the truth.

Bambi is showing he is a dumbass.

Oh, and he eats dog.

BacaDog on June 8, 2012 at 8:07 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

L4L’s Go-To-Phrase:

In: “None story”

Out: “Big nothingburger.”

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Looks like Uncle George Soros is trying to outsource his commenting ops to India. Translation software not working yet.

slickwillie2001 on June 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Stuxnet and Flame whipped around and bit the “won” in the rear.

cozmo on June 8, 2012 at 8:17 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

so what about you…you think the private sector is doing fine or not?

r keller on June 8, 2012 at 7:49 PM

No one thinks the private sector is doing fine- in fact, Bernanke has made it more than clear that better fiscal policy is needed to stimulate growth, but the Tea Party will never allow it.

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

But Barry is the smartestest president ever… and like everybody else is just too slow to understand what he was saying… and his desire to have ‘energy prices skyrocket’ under his policies have nothing to do with the economy being held down… and $3.50 gas being the new “silver lining” in a bad economy is just another part of his awesomeness that non-Obama Zombie people don’t get… And Buuuush….

RalphyBoy on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Since when does the President of the United States of America hire and fire policemen and firemen, who are employed by counties and municipalities?

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

good stuff….funny

DiabloAzure on June 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Ever notice how when government spending must be cut back, whether at the local, state, or federal level, the first government employees Democrats talk about firing are policemen, firefighters, and paramedics, and then teachers?

farsighted on June 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Obama: Let me be clear, I’m a doofus.

hepcat on June 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Has there been a Friday night document dump?

Oh yeah, Obama’s a doofus.

hepcat on June 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

“Better” doesn’t necessarily mean “more.” It means “better.” Look up the definition of the word.

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Bless your heart. Teachers, police, firefighters = local government employees. If they need funding to continue working then local governments can raise local taxes. It’s not a NC, MT, TX, etc. taxpayer’s responsibility to fund flawed education/public-safety models in Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, etc.

Not. The. Federal. Government’s. Domain.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

He just gave his Malaise speech…

Skywise on June 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Missed you oh wise one on this

arnold ziffel on June 8, 2012 at 8:42 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

ah, I see you get your talking points the same place Debbie Whatshername Schultz does, ie; The Washington Post

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I just had to school the current Congresswoman of Florida’s district 22 and the DNC Chairwoman about this on Twitter.

The spin coming out of the left to distract from the boy king’s gaffes today is dizzying.

Flora Duh on June 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

I was writing when you posted. Well put.

As Vice-President Joe Biden would say, three letters: NAPO, IAFF, and NEA.

Add low-info voters, mix all ingredients, stir, let sit until November 4th.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

No one thinks the private sector is doing fine-

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

But that is exactly what our idiot Jerk in Chief said today.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I’m going to ask you the same question I asked Debbie Downer, she didn’t answer me, let’s see if you will.

Using the argument that Romney would have the authority to fire cops, teachers and firefighters if when he’s elected, that means Obama is responsible for all the firefighter, cop, & teacher jobs lost over past 3.5 yrs. Right?

Flora Duh on June 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

6th. Ugh. Republican’s fault, btw.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Who was looking for a new troll last night to bat around?

Here you go…

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

I think he is the reject from MM, Ilovemycountry.

Barred on June 8, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Flora Duh on June 8, 2012 at 8:50 PM

AND the true unemployment is 11%, 15% counting those that quit looking for work, given the total number of jobs Obowma inherited from Bush. Obowma has lost 2 million net jobs since taking office.

dthorny on June 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

That’s why I spent yesterday, the day before yesterday, this past week, this past month and this past year improving my swing on the golf course, taking flip-flop lessons from Senator Kerry, and lighting up with my old buddies from the Choom Gang. FIFH.

Benedict Nelson on June 8, 2012 at 8:56 PM

“We’re the country that built the Intercontinental Railroad”

McNinja on June 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

loveofcountry on June 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 8:28 PM

What am I saying? Of course Obama can fire policemen!

Loveofcountry IS Amanda Bynes.

Those Damn Cops Are “Acting Stupidly” Again

Sorry ’bout the Prog brain fog. It happens to anti-Progs every Blue Moon…

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Add low-info voters, mix all ingredients, stir, let sit until November 4th.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Yep. BTW, I think it’s the 6th. We’ll tell Troll that it’s the 8th.

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Flora Duh on June 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Do you suppose if things get bad enough a few of them will engage
in self-immolation to distract us from The One’s gaffes?

Personally, I am going to refuse to be distracted until DWS and Nancy P light themselves up as a duet.

(Yep, I’m going to he11 for that one)

PolAgnostic on June 8, 2012 at 9:06 PM

But that is exactly what our idiot Jerk in Chief said today.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 8, 2012 at 8:49 PM

And it is important to point this out again:

Obama declared that the private sector was fine. When he was rushed back out to do damage control he talked about the fact that the economy was not doing fine and launched into a riff about teachers and first responders which are part of the public sector. The economy is a much larger issue than the private sector. At no time today did Obama walk back his initial remarks.

Happy Nomad on June 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Yep. BTW, I think it’s the 6th. We’ll tell Troll that it’s the 8th.

Resist We Much on June 8, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Ha. Yeah, I corrected it right after I read it. I’ve ALWAYS stunk at above-the-keyboard numbers typing.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 9:13 PM

This is truly amazing, 20,000 job applicants for 773 Private Sector jobs here in Montgomery AL. Sorry, not believable anymore!

jjnco73 on June 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

“Are your private sector job prospects better now than they were four years ago?” — Ghost of Reagan.

farsighted on June 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

So he admits the economy is bad.
Finally. How long did it take him to blame George Bush.

MAC1000 on June 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Let the blame casting begin!

tom daschle concerned on June 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM

He just gave his Malaise speech…

Skywise on June 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Yeah. It’s sad. I can’t believe the bubble that Zero and Co. live in. The private sector is doing so fine that my office laid off 2/3 of the staff in December and will not be hiring at all (even contract labor) this year. And they were all high-paying skilled jobs. At this point, I am grateful to be employed.

Philly on June 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

No one thinks the private sector is doing fine- in fact, Bernanke has made it more than clear that more O’bama spending of taxpayer dollars is needed to stimulate growth, but the Tea Party will never allow it.

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

bayam!

Del Dolemonte on June 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I will right after you are done sucking me off sis.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 12:35 PM

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Roger, was this really a quote? ‘Cause it’s been scrubbed from that thread. Now WHY would Ed and AP allow a comment such as this–toward a fellow FEMALE blogger–be allowed??? And if this commenter is STILL allowed to comment without being banned…well, then this is not the HA I have known and loved…

lovingmyUSA on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Keep it up champ. It’s working just fine.

HotAirian on June 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Roger, was this really a quote?

lovingmyUSA on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Yes, that is exactly what was posted. I saw the original, apparently before scrubbing.

farsighted on June 8, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Team Zero will be on the Sunday chat shows wall-to-wall to try to polish this turd of a press conference. It’s too late, baby…

Philly on June 8, 2012 at 10:53 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Direct. Posted and linked on the other thread where you asked, btw. Not scrubbed.

I’ve linked it every time so admin can get it.

rogerb on June 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Obama: Let me be clear, the economy’s not doing fine

Almost four years after it sank, he reaches the conclusion the boat is taking on water.

rukiddingme on June 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

If you implemented their budget, you could not afford anything outside of defense, Social Security, interest on the national debt and Medicare. Everything else would be fundamentally wiped out. Now, we think deficits and debt are important. But we think that the way to do it is, yes, eliminate programs that don’t work, reform our health system not by shifting cost to seniors, but by reducing costs and improving quality of care, but also, let’s ask those of us who can do a little bit more to do a little bit more.

blah blah blah….

Buy Danish on June 8, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Really now…? Apparently he doesn’t talk to seniors. My wife’s grandparents voted for him and even they are saying that ever since the healthcare law was passed, their insurance premiums have gone up and their benefits have plummeted. Medications that used to be covered, they now have to pay close to $100 a month for.

MobileVideoEngineer on June 8, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Hill60 on June 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

You know, I think Jugears is telling the truth here. When he gets up in the morning he thinks, “Today, I should do something to help the economy and jobs situation so that my re-election chances are better”. Then he gets up, gets busy, is meeting people, going to fundraisers, playing golf, shooting hoops, making double entendre jokes, you know, just busy man. Then he finishes the end of his work day around 4 or 5 in the evening, has a busy night entertaining donors and celebs, eating wagu beef and lobster so when at the end of the day he stumbles, dog tired, to bed, just before he drifts off he thinks, “Tomorrow, I really should do something to improve the economy and jobs situation”

How do I know this? I have a 16 year old on summer vacation that I am pushing to get some work out of this summer. Same kind of thing, except young federalist does get pushed by mom & dad to actually do something. Jugears doesn’t have anybody to push him, Michelle is too busy telling him where to go on vacay and what she wants for dinner that night.

AZfederalist on June 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Obama: Let me be clear, the economy’s not doing fine

Is this Obama’s “Big Gulp” moment?!

ITguy on June 9, 2012 at 12:00 AM

lovingmyUSA on June 8, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Is it OK towards a fellow MALE blogger? :)

arnold ziffel on June 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Mr. Boehner – Where have you been all this while? I was getting concerned.

antisocial on June 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Obama just threw Obama under the bus.

Mutnodjmet on June 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Barack Obama’s political Team needs to take this guy to the woodshed.

antisocial on June 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Uh, newflash, SippyCup: Romney isn’t in a current government position to be able to do what is supposed to be YOUR responsibility. Go back to spooning with Clooney, you boring gasbag.

And more to the point, does anyone honestly believe this verbal diarrhea of “…I’m interested in hearing…”? “He Won”, remember??

SnarkySam on June 9, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You can also use the expanded commentary edited for emphasis

audiotom on June 9, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Gee it looks like Obama switched places with Biden

audiotom on June 9, 2012 at 1:16 AM

The public sector is in trouble…
BHO

The Private Sector is Doing Fine…
BHO

Insert various and sundry attacks by GOP and Romney

The Economy is not doing fine… BHO
….Because the public sector is hurting Not said, but implied.

Note: HE didn’t really backtrack on the public sector statement, he used his verbal pretzle building just like his ‘compromise’ on funding of contraception for Religious Institutions.

jaydee_007 on June 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM

so now we have the smartest president ever stating “the private sector is just fine”..

and then now we have him ON TAPE saying “the economy is not doing fine”

doesn’t that just make him look worse?!! now we can run BOTH QUOTES in our ads for the next five months. we can put both quotes in the same ad, or do some ads showing how out of touch he is, and the other quote to show he agrees with us that things have been awful for nearly FOUR YEARS under his leadership.

people are too indoctrinated by the left to realize the economy is forward looking- everyone knew Obamao was going to win in October 2008 and that is when the economy really started to collapse..

AirForceCane on June 9, 2012 at 2:15 AM

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ah yes, the all-powerful Tea Party and those thousands of offices they hold …

What you mean to say is that common sense citizens will never allow the continuation of socialist fiscal policies which have led to this near-ruination. Bernanke is a tool, but he knows how close we are to the edge, and which direction this administration has been taking us, so he’s trying to keep the brakes on. If taxes go up, so will interest rates, and then the dollar will tank again, because the only thing making it look good on the exchange market is the even worse socialist fiscal policies of the EU.

Still, you had to try something to deflect from the fact that the Resident spent months telling us all that things were becoming just fine, and now has to backpedal, highlighting his lies and foolishness. How about you comment on topic for once, if you have anything.

Freelancer on June 9, 2012 at 3:39 AM

Is it OK towards a fellow MALE blogger? :)

arnold ziffel on June 9, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Of course. Otherwise you’d be a homophobe!

Spliff Menendez on June 9, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Just spent WAY too much time reading KOS site coments. Its comedy. They are on fire! Lot’s of self bickering, most argue about 2 things. Walker and drone stikes. Whats funny is about 40 percent of the strikes are favorable to the KOS bozos. And the rest hate what oboe is doing.

If Oboe loses this election. “It will be the most Racist hate-filled election” in history. Obie will attempt the Mary J vote soon.

Choom

Gedge on June 9, 2012 at 7:07 AM

AZfederalist on June 8, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well put. Although, the truth is that we’re better off for his lack of effort! It’s when he tries “to help” that things get much, much worse.

MJBrutus on June 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM

the private sector is doing fine

Øbama must be consulting his profits and earnings ratios again

How many virgins did they have to promise him to get him to do that?

petefrt on June 9, 2012 at 8:15 AM

The private sector is doing fine….

Let me be clear, the economy is not doing fine…

This is a hanging curve comparable to Bush-1′s “read my lips”. Don’t f*&k this up.

Saltysam on June 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

“Walk it back!!”

What a maroon…

Khun Joe on June 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Øbama: We’d be doing great now except for those dang…

~ HEADWINDS ~

petefrt on June 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Øbama: ~ HEADWINDS ~ are killing our GREEN SHOOTS.

petefrt on June 9, 2012 at 9:07 AM

In the presser, zero said the private sector was doin’ fine. The next day in the walk back, he said the economy was not fine. Don’t you dolts see the difference? Private sector fine, economy not fine. Sheesh, does the boy wonder have to explain everything in detail? Next we’ll be wanting him to save us from Syria or something.

Kissmygrits on June 9, 2012 at 9:25 AM

The real story here is Obama’s concern for the civil service, the state government employees. This really goes back to 2009 and spreading so much money to the states. Obama’s idiocy is taken for granted but his contempt for the private sector is plain to see, “screw them” is the message, government has to come first.

arand on June 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Please…allow me to testify.

kingsjester on June 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Uhhh, too late. Does anyone remember John Kerry or John McCain’s explanations following their equally tone deaf gaffes the past two cycles?

Didn’t think so. Now why might this one be different … http://bit.ly/qVdDUt

ombdz on June 9, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Clueless: The President on Growth

M2RB: Jack Johnson

“Never knowing.
Shocking, but I’m nothing.
I’m just moments.
I’m clever, but I’m clueless.
I’m just human
Amusing, but confusing.
But, the truth is
All I’ve got is questions
I’ll never know.
Never know.
Never know.”

Resist We Much on June 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Ah yes, back to your “Bernanke is smarter than all” tripe. The guy worked at Goldmann Sachs. He has friends there and probably hopes to go back. Every “QE” involves Goldmann being the completely unnecessary middle man in the debt buying, making them millions. If you think Bernanke has anything but his own future millions in mind, you’re a bot.

We’ve tried for decades to keep this economy from having normal ups and downs, and instead gotten so involved as to create bubbles, crashes and long recessions. Until government stops trying to play puppet master, nothing will be fixed. More spending and borrowing and buying down debt with dollars will only make it that much worse. Maybe not next month, or next year, but we’ve already tripled the amount of money in the system. The only reason we don’t have massive out-of-control inflation is that the banks haven’t put that extra money into circulation.

PastorJon on June 11, 2012 at 1:41 PM

bayam on June 8, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The Fed’s idea of better fiscal policy is to print more money–something you missed in your over-eager jab at the tea party, nitwit.

zoyclem on June 12, 2012 at 7:28 AM