Wow: Romney edging Obama 46/45 … in Michigan

posted at 1:01 pm on June 7, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Old and busted: Questions about whether Barack Obama can salvage Wisconsin.  New hotness: Questions about whether the man who keeps claiming to have saved the American automaking industry can hold Michigan.  According to a new poll commissioned by the Detroit Free Press and four television stations from EPIC-MRA, Mitt Romney now edges Obama 46/45 in this Democratic and union bastion (via Jim Geraghty):

President Barack Obama’s popularity in Michigan has slipped in recent months, leaving him in a dead heat with Republican challenger Mitt Romney, according to a new poll of state voters by EPIC-MRA of Lansing.

The poll, released this morning to the Free Press and four TV stations, shows Romney leading Obama 46%-45%, a reversal from the last EPIC poll in April which showed Obama ahead 47%-43%.

Obama’s personal and job approval numbers also have slipped, with 46% of Michiganders saying they have a favorable opinion of the president, and 41% approving of the job he’s doing.

EPIC co-founder John Cavanagh said the softening in support for Obama is likely related to a robust TV advertising campaign by pro-Romney PACs which have been critical of his handling of the economy. Perhaps most troubling for the Democratic president is a decline in support from independent voters, Cavanagh said.

Democratic pollster PPP had Obama up 14 in May.  PPP’s Tom Jensen put the state in the solid category for Democrats.  This looks … less than solid.  The Free Press didn’t provide a link to the poll data, so all of the usual caveats on samples apply, but the FP did note that the pollster surveyed 600 likely voters between June 2nd-5th.  That comes entirely after the latest jobs report, which may very well have done a significant amount of damage to Obama in a state already hammered by unemployment.  And just for a little independent confirmation, National Journal’s Josh Kraushaar tweeted that these numbers match what he’s heard about GOP internals.  Looks like it might just be a trend.

Speaking of Wisconsin, We Ask America has a new poll out there as well.  They got the eventual margin of victory correct in the recall election in their penultimate survey, but their last survey missed the mark, showing a 12-point Walker lead the day previous to the election.  Today they show Obama out in front of Romney in a sample of 1270 likely voters in a survey taken entirely yesterday, but only by five points, and with Obama under 50% at 48/43.  Romney leads among independents by two:

As we’ve seen elsewhere, President Obama is twice as likely to receive  support from Republicans (11%) than Romney is from Democrats (4%), and Independent voters are evenly split. Note that when we asked political party affiliation, this sample had 37% Democrats, 33% Republicans and 30% Independents. We also note with interest the gender gap between the two candidates…a result that is echoed throughout our recent privately conducted polls elsewhere in the nation.

Clearly, Walker’s success will keep Wisconsin on the list of possible bellwether states–something that many considered unlikely a few months ago. And if these numbers hold up, there will undoubtedly be a trove of Obama voters who also supported Gov. Walker in his recall election.

It looks like those states previously considered as solid Democratic holds might be … evolving on the issue.  The big question for Team O: What’s your path to 270 without Michigan?  What’s the path to 270 if Obama even has to contest Michigan?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Which is what I’m hoping for across multiple states.

Just about every potential swing-state has a Dem senate seat up for grabs include Florida, Virginia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan, Wisconsin, New Mexico, etc.

An Obama loss may not deliver ALL of those seats, but it certainly raises the chances of a Reagan 1980 result where a poor showing by Carter flipped the Senate for 4 years.

teke184 on June 7, 2012 at 2:00 PM

And here in Missouri Claire McCaskill will definitely lose. Also Missouri loses a House seat this year and the Missouri Legislature combined the 2 St. Louis City/County districts so that will be one less Democrat seat as well.

MobileVideoEngineer on June 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Now the city has about 715K people. They even tried to appeal the count because apparently if you fall below 750K, you lose extra federal benefits of some sort. So I am not sure if the Bammy run census invented 35K people out of thin air to get Detroit over that thresh hold.

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I’m sure they found a way to count people living in the suburbs as being part of Detroit.

teke184 on June 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I remember my grandma telling me about white Detroiters voting for Coleman Young. She said it was mainly because they wanted to give the black folks a sense of ownership/cooperation in the city. (They probably should have picked a different man.)

RedCrow on June 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Detroit Free Press?! Hahaha. Sure.

inthemiddle on June 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

And here in Missouri Claire McCaskill will definitely lose.

I figure that Missouri (McCaskill), Montana (Tester), North Dakota (open, Dorgan retiring), and Nebraska (open, Nelson retiring) will flip regardless of anything else.

teke184 on June 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

teke184 on June 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Nah. People in the suburbs only “count” when it’s time to dole out the cash.

RedCrow on June 7, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Mitt has a great smile. He should use it a lot. It’s reassuring.

vityas on June 7, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It might be healthier for the Left and their allies in the press and entertainment for Obama to lose in an electoral rout rather than a narrow loss. A narrow loss would engender conspiracy theories and cries of partisan racism, while a big loss gives the Left permission to be honest about Obama’s failings as a President and candidate.

Jurisprudence on June 7, 2012 at 1:41 PM

This!

derecho on June 7, 2012 at 2:22 PM

As a Detroiter, I think the tide is turning against Obama. The Wisconsin Recall fail will let certain Union Members know its OK to not go along with the Union Party Line.

I think the Reagan Democrats are waking up….

GadsdenRattlers on June 7, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Hey, do you drive a Jeep with a Gadsden flag on the rear window? ;) I am from the Detroit area, as well. I’m not so confident of Macomb County and much of Oakland went for Obama last time. Peters retained his seat in 2010 so I’m not putting any eggs in the Oakland County basket. I just hope you’re right.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Dang, two comments blocked/lost.

Internals on this poll are D+2 and R+1 with leaners.

2008 was D+12 2010 has no exit polls, 2004 was D+5.

The poll is probably consistent with 2010; but I think overly optimistic; I’d say Romney is probably down 1-3 points; not leading but not out of it by any measure.

And I’m guessing my comments got eaten for too many links.

gekkobear on June 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM

The big question for Team O: What’s your path to 270 without Michigan? What’s the path to 270 if Obama even has to contest Michigan?

Voter fraud on a scale more massive than a planet killing asteroid. As if you actually had to ask.

Physics Geek on June 7, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Think about it, how many actual GM and Chrysler auto workers were “saved” by the bailouts? MAYBE 7% of Michigan’s voters?

BradTank on June 7, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I don’t know. My cousin’s sister-in-law and brother-in-law have made up their minds not to vote for President. He’s a GM worker and she works for one of the state universities. They are angry at Romney’s position vis the auto bailouts, completely ignoring,of course, that they lost all their GM stock due to Obama. I don’t think they will vote for Obama but they are adamant they are not voting for Romney. How many more GM/Chrysler workers are like them? Their numbers may be diminished, but the smaller pool of voters can make the auto-workers’ votes that much more important.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Her medical benefits are amazing, so I imagine the state pays a fortune for them.

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Yes, Karen, they do. My mom is retired DPS teacher (35 years in a war zone) and they switched insurances recently, which messed up the prescription portion of the coverage, but it’s still awesome coverage. Especially the medicare gap coverage, which my mother has.

I think Snyder and the legislature changed the coverages for existing employees going forward. They definitely have to contribute more to the monthly premiums and may have to pay more once they retire. My mother gets no alarmist mail about these things, so it might have to do with when she retired vs. when your mom retired.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM

But PPP had him up by 14! Aren’t they the most accurate pollster around? After all the 53-46 drubbing in the WI recall was kind of close to their 50-47. Tom Jensen said so on Twitter, and he’s a fair objective pollster that wasn’t rooting for the Democrats at all…

Gingotts on June 7, 2012 at 2:45 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Very informative post. Thanks, Karen…

OmahaConservative on June 7, 2012 at 2:47 PM

He recently had a fundraiser hosted by Mike Ilich and his wife. (Little Skeezers (awful pizza), Det Tiger, Det Red Wings). So, they’re probably tapped.

(Made me sick to my stomach to see it. No, I didn’t eat Ilich’s pizza.)

RedCrow on June 7, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Um, no. It was Denise Ilich (daughter of Mike Ilich) and her husband who held the fundraiser. Rush talked about this on his April 25th show.

GrannyDee on June 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

GOP performance in Michigan House elections vs. Presidential elections:

2000
-9.6% House, -5.1% Presidential (4.5% outperformance)
2002
-1.1% House
2004
+1.0% House, -3.4% Presidential (4.4% underperformance)
2006
-8.2% House
2008
-8.4% House, -16.5% Presidential (8.1% underperformance)
2010
+8.0% House

My guess right now is that in 2012 Republicans will win Michigan House races by 4 or 5 points, with the presidential race pretty much even.

steebo77 on June 7, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Slightly O/T…Rick Perry got a lusty raspberry in Ft. Worth a little while ago for mentioning his support for David Dewhurst at the opening of the Texas GOP Convention.

DanMan on June 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Detroit Free Press?! Hahaha. Sure.

inthemiddle on June 7, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Not sure why that’s funny. It’s the largest newspaper here… and it’s generally considered liberal.

spinach.chin on June 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Sooo close, but no. There IS a Gasden Flag on my vehicle though…

GadsdenRattlers on June 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

DanMan on June 7, 2012 at 3:03 PM

National Review has the video…

Perry’s Dewhurst Endorsement at Texas GOP Convention Draws Disapproval from Crowd

tetriskid on June 7, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I think its more of “I voted for Obama last time casue it was historic and cool to do so.” The people I know who did this have “gone silent” now. More like they are embarrased that they voted for him.

A dead heat in Michigan is exactly how I would put the mood of the people I know and work with.

P.S. I encourage EVERYONE to go out and get a Gadsden Flag Magnet for their car. They are inexpensive and we need to show that there are more ov us out there than they think…

GadsdenRattlers on June 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Whats the path to 270?

You go south to A-C-O-R-N and it’s affiliate Project Vote (Obama’s ex-employer) have their old employees hired by Holder’s DoJ (of New Black Panther charges dismissed, even after successful prosecution and sentencing fame) take a left to truck loads of Donald Duck-Adoph Hitler-John Galt type “voters”, through in a couple of Complete NFL teams on the way and stop at George Soros’ Secretary of States Project who certify the validity of the ballot tallies, and WALLAH! You’ve arrived, your at 270+!

If you notice all that all these states like MI, WI, etal, that are giving ‘R’s reason for optimism, are still within the margin of error. In states with big cities that are battle ground states, think OH, PA, MI, FL, and so on, you have corrupt (is there any other kind?) Political Machines. These “machines” are invariably Democratic, (go figure) and are likely to be worth anywhere from 2-6 percentage points depending on locale. Add the above mentioned and you have a very dicey shot at a Romney win, especially as those above mentioned will be particularly emboldened need not fear any legal repercussions due to Holder’s tenure at the DoJ.

Seems to me , no matter what the actual intent of the electorate, Obama has very clear cut path to victory. Without an 7+pt blowout by a Tea-Party onslaught, I’d say his second term is all but assured.

Archimedes on June 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I

I do believe all these states have Republican governors. Look who will be campaigning with Romney in these states. Is anyone campaigning with Obama? Michelle and Axelrod don’t count.

monalisa on June 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Archimedes on June 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

monalisa on June 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Plus being a born Ohioan with family still in Ohio, I can say with absolute certaintity that if it’s this close in Michigan, Ohio won’t be anywhere near close enough for any type of fraud to work.

MobileVideoEngineer on June 7, 2012 at 3:36 PM

and without OH and IN, and FL, and IA, VA, NC, NH, and contested PA and contested WI and a contested CO and a contested NM.

A: there is none

t8stlikchkn on June 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I heard on WAAM 1600 radio news this morning that the group that was trying to gather signatures to recall Gov. Snyder were giving up. They were short on signatures and they admitted that the WI recall results meant that they didn’t have a hope of winning a recall. Curiouser and curiouser.

MichiCanuck on June 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 2:34 PM

When my mom got a letter from the group that represents retired teachers (paid lobbyists hired by the union, possibly a union subsidiary), I signed her up to get their emails. Since I manage all of her emails, I wanted to see what hysteria I would read. Then I forward those emails to the local tea party and they use the content to mobilize the members to go lobby against the public employees fat benefits when they hold the hearings in Lansing.

My mom retired 26 years ago. She now makes MORE money in her retirement and social security than she ever made teaching (not counting the inflation affects on her income statements). If you consider her golden cadillac medical benefits, she is very comfortable. However, it sort of makes up for when we grew up because teachers were not as well compensated back then and had 35 kids in their classes. The retired teacher medical insurance benefits is an awesome medigap kind of insurance. Before this year (and maybe last year), she never used to have a deductible she had to pay out of pocket. Now it is $1000. It has a generous Rx plan, as we are both diabetic and take some of the same medicine. While I pay $150 per month COPAY at 50% for the same medication she pays only $30 a month for. Fortunately, this particular drug is going generic in August and I will save a FORTUNE every month.

Also, Michigan has a voter ID law, so that might also be why the electorate is changing here. Less opportunity for mischief at the polls. However, how they account for the fraudulent absentee ballots, I dunno. I vote absentee for convenience but I kind of worry about my vote not really getting counted.

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I actually looked up the number. The total number of “auto workers” in Michigan as of 2008 was 49,000 before the layoffs.

Considering that number includes auto workers from other providers, the actual number of GM and Chrysler employees in Michigan is well under 1% of total registered voters. And most of those same UAW voters would have voted Democrat regardless of the bailouts.

I’ll say it again, the MSM would have you believe the entire state works for those two failed companies. It’s complete bullsh!t, Romney should run against the auto bailouts.

BradTank on June 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

monalisa on June 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Governors do not certify elections, SoS’s do. Campaigning pertains to persuading actual voters, Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse and the rest of the Walt Disney crew are un-persuadable. They are die hard coll-aid drinking Obama voters, they’re a lock.

Your arguments are pertinent to a legitimate election, Obama is engaged in something all together different, he is practicing politics the only way he’s ever known, he’s doing it the Chicago Way. The very people who are supposed to be acting as the election referees, are the Voting Rights Section at the DoJ. The person who has been put in charge by Holder (name escapes me) the VRS’s human resources head is an ex Project Vote Alumni. Which means in all probability a “legitimate election” is the last thing we should be anticipating.

Now with even all these advantages, a record turnout that goes entirely against them I do not think even their best efforts at vote stealing will garner more than 6pts, maybe in a worst case scenario 8, but it will take a Reaganesque landslide for Romney to prevail.

Archimedes on June 7, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Certainly good news, but as a Romney supporter I still know that Romney’s support is wobbly. One bad debate performance, and his numbers in these swing states will tank. On the other hand, a solid knock-out in a debate (and I think there will only be a couple of debates), and he’ll soar. I have been hoping and hoping that Romney is doing regular debate prep — and that he’s far more prepared for the questions that he knows will be coming (Romneycare, etc.), questions that he seemed very unprepared for in the GOP debates. I also hope his team stands firm on demanding a Fox News-moderated debate. They’ve more than earned it as a major news organization. I’d expect tough questioning from them for Romney, but tough for Barack, too, and that will be new territory for the prez. He could crash and burn very quickly under tough questioning. If Romney stays solid and doesn’t screw up, this election could be a wave — and that will be a TOTAL repudiation of socialism by this country. A screw-up here and there, and he could eek out a close win, which won’t put much wind at his — or the GOP’s — back.

Rational Thought on June 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

MichiCanuck on June 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I read the AP article about this group. They wanted to have 200,000 signatures by June 1, and only had FOUR THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!! This just cracks me up.

Snyder took a somewhat softer approach to the public unions here. First of all, he has never held a government office before, so he didn’t have the insider knowledge like Walker had in WI. Also, Snyder is a very moderate GOPer, and in now way would I call him a conservative on a lot of issues, but he did run to fix the Michigan budget mess.

He wanted to make this state more user friendly for business and is trying to remove the obstacles for business to thrive here rather than shrivel here from undue government interference.

So far, he has achieved a lot. I believe the budget got balanced, he is addressing the things that impact future budget growth that is within the state control, and he is trying his best to make it business friendly.

The only fault I have with him is not understanding why he is endorsing the two BILLION DOLLAR bridge someone wants built over in Detroit, just south of a perfectly fine bridge that is privately owned and serving the needs of the community. There is some sort of standoff there with the existing bridge and freeway ramps or something but on the Canadian side, it is surface streets that connect to the existing bridge. The proposed bridge would be all freeway. However, why not just save tons of money and make the Canadians build limited access to the existing bridge?

Based on my understanding, Michigan taxpayers won’t have to pay for the bridge unless the tolls of the new bridge don’t cover the bonds. We all know the taxpayers will end up being on the hook. There are a lot of ads on tv against this proposed bridge and they are calling out Snyder personally on his support for the bridge. If anywhere they need more crossing bandwidth to Canada, it is the Port Huron bridge. That can get backed up for hours. They could probably build a second bridge there and make each bridge one way. I have never had to wait at the Detroit bridge. However, I now have that nexxus pass that supposedly lets you bypass the immigration and customs lanes, but I haven’t needed to use it yet.

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

monalisa on June 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I get your point but with a few more months of poor economic news, poor fundraising, more late night TV appearances, and the SC Obamacare/Arizona decisions, even Donald Duck and Mickey Mouse will stay home.

monalisa on June 7, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Archimedes I think you are perhaps as overly negative as some are overly positive.

I think we need to realize that the four states that are increasingly important are Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, and Michconsin. If Mittens can really force the One to have to play defense in Michconsin – if he can get the dollars – then I really think Ohio and Florida are lost to the Dims. DOJ cannot play in Ohio – no VR jurisdictions. And Florida demographics are not in Obama’s favor.

I cannot see Mitt winning Michigan – but I can see him taking Wisconsin. Wisconsin has been very close – and don’t think the unions won’t forget Obama bailed on them in the recall election. He will get Madison votes – but I think he may lose more counties than Barrett did.

NC and Indiana are gone over to the GOP (Obama has zero chance to win either – I think he polls worse in Indiana than just about any other state) and I think by the fall we will say the same thing with Virginia.

Personally I think the road for Obama is getting rather narrow – not the opposite. He may end up having to run the perfect campaign and his organization shows nothing of the kind right now.

Perhaps all this talk about the tea party being dead was nothing more than wishful thinking – they are re-tooling, learning and adapting – and now it is election time and time to roll.

Zomcon JEM on June 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

By the way in all of the hype of the Michigan poll, did anybody else notice the new polling showing Romney leading in Ohio and confirming his lead in Florida? (PDF)

Game over, Barky. With Ohio goes the White House.

Gingotts on June 7, 2012 at 4:20 PM

GadsdenRattlers on June 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Would love to. Where can I get one?

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 4:33 PM

karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Your mom and mine retired about the same time. My mother isn’t making near what she made working, even considering her pension and social security. Detroit teachers were among the lowest paid in the state. When she was making her peak of $50k a year, the suburbs were paying in the 70s and up. Not to mention, a friend of mine has a relative who was a “teacher consultant”, not a classroom teacher, mind. At her peak she was making $100k for never getting in front of a classroom full of children, so she is doing much, much better than my mother is, though she retired very recently and has to pay more for her medical coverage.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Sucka goin’ down! And black girls in Detroit,…how much of Obama’s stash money did you end up with?

SMACKRUNNER on June 7, 2012 at 4:43 PM

As we’ve seen elsewhere, President Obama is twice as likely to receive support from Republicans (11%) than Romney is from Democrats (4%)

I have a hard time believing any Republican is voting for Obama this time around. Sounds like some people are skewing the polls intentionally.

Also, I have a feeling more Republicans are going to vote this election than in 2008. The Tea Party is really on the ball getting people to fill in their absentee ballots and getting the rest to the polls.

MrX on June 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Archimedes on June 7, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Nothing is certain Archimedes. If we’ve learned anything, it’s to expect the unexpected.

itsspideyman on June 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Seen elswhere? Where?

itsspideyman on June 7, 2012 at 5:09 PM

A bit OT but I just had to share this from Drudge’s website. This is from a TIME article by Halperin and it’s just too delicious. This is an article about how the Dems think that Obama will lose in November and Halperin is citing the new media in this way:

Stalking that circus’ center ring is Matt Drudge, whose caustic website continues to help drive the news cycle with an emphasis on negative, mocking items about Obama and Vice President Joe Biden and their wives. The latest sign of Drudge’s potency: Ed Klein, the author of the virulently anti-Obama book The Amateur, was barred from major TV appearances and mostly ignored by the mainstream media, but the book’s prominence on Drudge’s website propelled it to the No. 1 slot on the New York Times nonfiction list.

So you see it isn’t the ineptness of the Odumbo, it’s Drudge and the new media that is causing the public to turn against the POTUS. I’m having so much fun this week reading all this stuff. I love the smell of a desperate Dem.

neyney on June 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Go ‘gandors!!

Tim_CA on June 7, 2012 at 6:16 PM

As a proud Michigander, I can say that Michigan is primarily a conservative, middle of the road kind of state. We have only three counties that vote democrat consistently. Wayne County being the largest which of course houses the city of Detroit. Wayne County also includes most of the car companies employees. Turnout will determine the next election.

shar61 on June 7, 2012 at 7:22 PM

“I just heard over the radio that Obama is down to +5 from +8 in the latest Q-Poll.”

How is being down 5 in VA good news for Romney?

VA is a must win state.

gumbyandpokey on June 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM

… the Port Huron bridge. That can get backed up for hours. They could probably build a second bridge there and make each bridge one way. karenhasfreedom on June 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Wouldn’t that be a THIRD bridge, you mean ?
They already have two.
Hubby & I are Port Huron natives with tons of family still there, but we got to Texas as fast as we could. ;-)

pambi on June 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Things that the most interesting to me is that the EPIC-MRA polling organization is a Democrat polling organization. Either they are trying to scare the Dems or the lead for Romney is probably bigger.

flytier on June 7, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Hubby just verified that the two PH bridges DO run one-way, each.
I wasn’t sure, and really don’t know how well that’s working out.
HAS to be better than before.

pambi on June 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Pambi, I probably last crossed when maybe they were doing construction and maybe only had one bridge open in Port Huron. It has been a couple of years and even if the 2 bridges were built and open, maybe one of them wasn’t.

I think the Port Huron area is lovely. The view from that bridge crossing is breath taking. To the north, is the humongous blue lake of Lake Huron. To the south is the river that goes down through Lake St Clair and down to Lake Erie. The bridge is really high up and just one of the most beautiful crossings.

Most of us in MI cut through Canada when we go to NY or New England, as it is shorter than going around Lake Erie to the south. Crossing back into the US from Canada into NY or VT is interesting, but not as majestic as seeing the huge great lake to the north of the bridge. Both Salinas and Port Huron are actually pretty towns.

Good that you escaped down to TX. I have lived there 2 times in my life and loved it each time. Maybe some day I might head back there again.

I only left Austin to come back to MI to be near my elderly mother. Until she moved into independent living last month, she lived with me here for 6.5 years. She recently gave up driving at 88 years old and was too isolated where I own a condo. So she is happily being served 3 meals a day from a menu of choices and enjoying having 400 others to “play with” all day long and evening.

But to get back on topic. If MI flips to red this year in the election, I am pretty sure WI and OH will have flipped to.

I think one of the reasons the tea party here has been so effective is there was a huge Perot contingent back in 92 that was just fed up with both parties back then. They were sick of spending then. NAFTA also propelled huge demonstrations against the 2 parties. If I remember correctly, Perot captured a large % of the votes in MI. Most of the Perot supporters that I knew then are die hard, active tea partiers and they are out there registering voters, making lists, attending meetings, ORGANIZING.

If anything that bammy has done that is positive to this country, is that we finally understand what a community organizer is. Now we can turn the tables and use the same tactics to defeat the far left.

karenhasfreedom on June 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM

karenhasfreedom on June 8, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Great post Karen, prayers to you and your mother. I also have the same situation with my own mother. We should get together and do lunch!..I have to agree with you on the tea party organization here. I went to a meeting recently and was blown away by the organization and the plan for the future. Presidential candidates were not even mentioned in the meeting..They are focused on the future, long term.

shar61 on June 8, 2012 at 6:24 AM