Bill Clinton: I’m “very sorry,” I misunderstood the timeline when I said the Bush tax cuts should be extended

posted at 5:21 pm on June 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

Is this really the new spin? Bill Clinton, master of policy detail, is doing high-profile TV interviews in which he expounds on tax policy — and he doesn’t know when the Bush tax cuts are set to lapse?

What?

Two possibilities here. Either his “allies” are right and his mind’s starting to slip at the tender age of 65 or the sustained screeching from Team O and the lefty base has worn him down to the point where he’s even willing to plead ignorance to get back on message.

“I’m very sorry about what happened,” Clinton said in an interview to air on CNN’s “The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer.” “I thought something had to be done on the ‘fiscal cliff’ before the election. Apparently nothing has to be done until the first of the year.”…

“I really was under the impression that they would have to do something before the election, and I was trying to figure out how they would kick it to last (through) the election,” he said.

He continued: “Once I realized that nothing had to be done until the first of the year, I supported (Obama’s) position. I supported extending them last year, but I think his position is the right one and necessary for working out a comprehensive (deficit reduction) deal.”

Wait a second. Here’s what he told CNBC when he endorsed extending the cuts across the board:

PRES. BILL CLINTON: What I think they should do is find a way to keep the expansion going. And I think the– as weak as it is here, you know, unemployment in the euro zone I think is 11%. And– Germany’s doing well but the– and a lot of the smaller countries are doing extremely well, many of which are not in the euro.

But they’re trying to figure out a way to promote growth. And what I think we need to do is to– find some way to avoid the fiscal cliff, to avoid doing anything that would contract the economy now, and then deal with what’s necessary in the long-term debt reduction plan as soon as they can, which presumably will be after the election.

MARIA BARTIROMO: So does that mean extending the tax cuts?

PRES. BILL CLINTON: Well, I think what it means is they will have extend– they will probably have to put everything off until early next year. That’s probably the best thing to do right now. But the Republicans don’t want to do that unless he agrees to extend the tax cuts permanently, including for upper income people.

And I don’t think the president should do that. That’s going to– that’s what they’re fighting about. I don’t have any problem with extending all of it now, including the current spending level. They’re still pretty low, the government spending levels. But I think they look high because there’s a recession. So the taxes look lower than they really would be if we had two and a half, 3% growth. And the spending is higher than it would be if we had two and a half, 3% growth because there are so many people getting food stamps, so many people getting unemployment, so many people are Medicaid.

But– the real issue is not whether they should be extended for another few months. The real issue is whether the price the Republican House will put on that extension is the permanent extension of the tax cuts, which I think is an error.

When I watched the CNBC interview, his position seemed clear enough: Growth is paramount right now, so they should hammer out a deal early next year when the new Congress is seated to keep the Bush tax cuts in effect for as long as this economic rough patch lasts. (No deal will be made before the election with so much uncertainty about the next Congress, hence his point about putting things off.) Once the storm has passed and we’re seeing consistent expansion, then we should rescind the cuts for the rich and use the new revenue to reduce the deficit. Instead, according to his “I misunderstood” spin, he supposedly was saying that we should extend the cuts through the lame-duck session in November and December and then … rescind the cuts for the rich in January as part of a broader deal? Why does he think we’ll have enough growth by January to justify raising taxes again? Surely he doesn’t think that the eurozone’s problems will be sufficiently settled in the next six months that we won’t have to worry about new recessionary shocks in 2013.

Then again, the bit at the very end of the CNBC excerpt about extending the cuts for “a few more months” suggests that maybe he did have the timeline wrong and was looking to extend the cuts merely until the end of this year. Ah well. The takeaway: Back on message. Even if it means admitting that he doesn’t quite know what he’s talking about lately.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He has secured a free private massage in exchange for the admission.

Archivarix on June 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Confused.

Bmore on June 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I’d buy that for a dollar!

BigGator5 on June 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Obama could’ve tacked to the center, but nooooooooo…

John the Libertarian on June 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Naw, they just found some nice vids of him boning Pron Stars… would be shame if those got out.

cajun carrot on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

“Bush tax cuts? No, I thought you were talking about extending my cigar.”

Chuck Schick on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

CNN airing new interview in which Clinton says he doesn’t need to say bad things about Romney to disagree with him. So…not on board with the attack machine, I guess.

amerpundit on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I think if you do ever get inside the Cory Booker Woodshed, Obama will show you photos of Bin Landen’s corpse, for education purposes, so there’s at least that advantage.

RBMN on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

his SS detail is upping his daily diet of pr0n starz.

ted c on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Keep up the good work, Bill! (wink, wink)

BruthaMan on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Looks like Obama’s goons got to him and told him “We know where you live and we also control your wife.” Ah well….looks like Clinton’s spine is not as straight as we thought it was.

logicman_1998 on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

No matter what he or anyone says, the Clintons will never forgive Obama, the teenager, to spoil Hillary’s chances and belittling her. They wish for the failure to lose in Nov.

Schadenfreude on June 7, 2012 at 5:27 PM

So, Monica Lewinsky’s boyfriend is confused……sheesh.

He was more believable when he said he did have sex with that woman Monica Lewinsky……..

and he wasn’t even close to being believable then.

RealMc on June 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Slick Willy.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

FlatFoot on June 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

A former president was Bookered. Plain and simple.

It goes to show the current thuggish practices of those in power reach further than anyone could imagine. Even former presidents aren’t immune.

ButterflyDragon on June 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Bill Clinton is being held hostage by the Obama White House. It’s easy for all to see that Bill Clinton is blinking “S-O-S” during that interview.

portlandon on June 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

I can see the other cheese-wiennies caving in to barack and his goons. I always thought clinton had more of a backbone and would stand up to him though. Too bad. He has joined the ranks of the ordinary cheese-wiennie.

DuctTapeMyBrain on June 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

It’s OK, Bubba: We don’t like Obama either. In that respect, we feel your pain.

Philly on June 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

Back on message.

That depends on what the meaning of “message” is.

NeighborhoodCatLady on June 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I agree with Bill. The best thing to do is wait until January when Obama is no longer in office.

txhsmom on June 7, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Who the hell even saw this…

OmahaConservative on June 7, 2012 at 5:33 PM

The mind boggles, watching the lefties trip all over their tongues of late.
Open mouth w/accidental truth, followed by tripping all over oneself in the backtracking of same.
Won’t be long, and even liberal VOTERS will just stop listening.
One can hope.

pambi on June 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I think this “I misunderstood” statement is pure hogwash meant to get team Obama off his back and mollify the party officials who’ve been yelping in his ear.

Clinton IS a master of policy detain, and the political dance. I don’t think he’s lost a step.

thatsafactjack on June 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Right. And I’m Little Bo Peep.

The Rogue Tomato on June 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

As long as they can use the Bush name with anything … it becomes evil.

The current tax rates are the rates … what they are proposing a tax increase.

Pretty simple.

ORrighty on June 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM

We are now seeing in plain view why most ex-presidents stay out of partisan politics after they leave office. Maybe next time he should just send out a tweet, like Barry…

rcpjr on June 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

And the wheels of the bus………………

derecho on June 7, 2012 at 5:36 PM

What difference does that make? The parties will be the same after the election right up until the clock strike midnight on Taxmageddon.

So.Not.Buying.It.

BTW: Did Clinton ever say he was “very sorry” about the whole Lewinsky thingy?

Resist We Much on June 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Billy needs to stay in the good graces of the Party if he’s to continue to push Hillary!

GarandFan on June 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Ah well….looks like Clinton’s spine is not as straight as we thought it was.

logicman_1998 on June 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Didn’t Paula Jones say that his Johnson wasn’t too straight either?

Resist We Much on June 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

If Clinton had said “the OBAMA tax cuts” he would have been roundly applauded. However, he said BUSH…so off with his balls.

joe btfsplk on June 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Clinton is a lot of bad things but one thing he’s not is stupid. He knew exactly what he was saying and is only now backing off in order to save his worthless political butt. Unfortunately, there are many liberals that still worship this bum.

rplat on June 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

…He’s got what Jimmy Carter’s got!

KOOLAID2 on June 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

They’re message is a pig’s breakfast.

Good luck trying to sort out the logic.

aquaviva on June 7, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Don’t apologize for being right, Bubba.

Good Lt on June 7, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Ok, so this is the distraction of the week? AP, why don’t you highlight this part so we can move to forcing the house on holding Eric Holdder in contempt!!!??

And I don’t think the president should do that

Thats for the cnbc interview. So he said he doesn’t think the president should extend them for the upper class. That’s what he did when he was president, why would he go against his own policies?

This looks so desperate when you are following every word of BJ to find something to hold on to ( pun intended! )

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

“…afte the election”… when Obama can be more flexible.

AverageJoe on June 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

They’re giving him the Gerald Walpin treatment: he’s just a crazy old man.

Don’t let them get away with it, Bill.

AZCoyote on June 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

…we should all start to learn how to walk backwards!
…I’ve been doing it all day at work today…and getting that WTF look?…they know better than to ask me why!

KOOLAID2 on June 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

“I thought something had to be done on the ‘fiscal cliff’ before the election.”

A walkback with a nasty data point too.

Nice!

roy_batty on June 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

They took Clinton to the woodshed? That will have repercussions.

dogsoldier on June 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM

The great BJ Clinton…nothing but a pawn in the game these days. He must feel so small.

CycloneCDB on June 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

I know why this guy get over on girls so often. Bill, you are a master, take you to the wood shed will he. Wish I have the unspoken tung and cheek apologetic technique. Ask Barack is he wants to buy a bridge, bet you have one for sale.

StevC on June 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

thatsafactjack on June 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I agree. He got his message out and deftly undermined Obama. He can now repent at leisure and not mean a word he says.

IMHO this is like lefty news when they supposedly make a mistake in reporting and then later correct it in fine print on page 18. The first impression has been made and accomplished its purpose.

INC on June 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

As Michelle Malkin aptly pointed out last night, Clinton will be in Barackabama’s camp no matter what.

SouthernGent on June 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Oh, I didn’t want the economy to tank before the election. After the election, we’ll have more flexibility.

Is that really what he’s saying?

bernverdnardo1 on June 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

“I thought something had to be done on the ‘fiscal cliff’ before the election.”

A walkback with a nasty data point too.

Nice!

roy_batty on June 7, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Just what I meant. What a deft knife in the back of Obama in the midst of his non-apology apology.

INC on June 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Lucky Pierre, talk to Roger Simon, et al.

We’re not the ones freaking out over what Bill Clinton says. We’re just loving the trainwreck.

Resist We Much on June 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

thatsafactjack on June 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

How about …

The “I misunderstood” excuse has now been established as credible with the media.

WJC now has Obama on the horns of a dilemma:

A) Do you ‘shelve’ Bill Clinton for the next 5 months? (Remembering that doing so will lose you WJC’s connections and GOTV ability)

or

B) Do you ‘accept’ Bill Clinton’ may go off message at the most disastrous of times … but you can always get him to say “Sorry”?

Machiavelli was a time traveler who learned at WJC’s knee
;->

PolAgnostic on June 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Will be interesting to see how the Clinton acolyte’s react to Obama now that they are defaming their hero.

CycloneCDB on June 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Left (chant): Party Unity! Party Unity!

I wonder (1) how much team Obama had to concede to the Clinton and (2) where ‘those files’ are nowadays.

Sir Napsalot on June 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

early onset Neurosyphilis?

t8stlikchkn on June 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Sure Bill . IS that correct?

CW on June 7, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Lucky Pierre…

Resist We Much on June 7, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Now THAT is funny…

CycloneCDB on June 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

well AP, i see slick willy can even get you confused. here’s the deal

the fiscal cliff in the short term is Jan 1st. Acute drag on the economy because of increased taxes and decreased spending…some say 5 percent gdp drag…that’s a lot.

so it has to be fixed. Clinton was saying, let’s kick the whole can down the road a few months…into 2013, and negotiated with the Rs so that we Don’t have such a drag on the economy.

He was right..it needs to be kicked out of the Lame Duck session into the next year. Barry wants it in the Lame Duck session so the the left can shaft the country one more time.

not hard…and no he’s not senile

r keller on June 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Does anybody else find it a little concerning that Clinton got taken to the wood shed and changed his story so fast or at all?

I truly believe that the USA will become an unfamiliar place if 0bama wins.

jukin3 on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Bill going limp. Don’t worry, it’s a ploy. The Obamanauts have the attention span of a gnat.

mojo on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

It is all too apparent that Bill Clinton was reminded by Team Obowma that they know where his daughter lives…

Seven Percent Solution on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Bill, here’s a Kleenex, wipe off those tire marks streaking across your face and go outside and play…

hillsoftx on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Ok, so this is the distraction of the week?

……………

This looks so desperate ….
Can.I.be.in.the.middle on June 7, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Dipshite you’re trying to create something that isn’t there. Try some more straw. You’re sooo desperate yourself to be a troll and you don’t even do that well.

CW on June 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Wolf Blitzer: President Clinton, were you serious when you said we are in another recession — which isn’t true, sir! It isn’t true at all! — when you made that statement.

Bill Clinton: Well… What I meant to say, was, that the economy is dismal right now — it’s awful, Wolf, with all due respect — and…

Wolf Blitzer: See! See! There you go again! There you go again!

Bill Clinton: What!? What!?

Wolf Blitzer: You said something bad about the economy again! You just said something bad! President Clinton, are you senile? Are you completely and totally losing your mind right now? Are you capable of driving yourself home?

Bill Clinton: Well Wolf, with higher gas prices, more joblessness, and a sluggish growth; I would be surprised if anyone — including myself — would be capable of driving home without thinking about what things will be like tomorrow in this down economy.

Wolf Blitzer: Damn you, Mr. President. DAMN YOU! Scrap the tape! We will just have to shoot it again!

Punchenko on June 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

You know, as I re-read the transcript, it actually does sound like he was saying they needed to be extended until the beginning of next year. Is it possible that Bill Clinton is… telling the truth?!?!? Pardon me, I have to lie down.

Shump on June 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Next week, B. J. Clinton: “What I want to know is whay happened to all those illegal guns they supposedly sold to the Mexicans, and killed hundreds of innocent people down there. Not to mention an American Border Patrol Agent.”

The week after: “Oh, you mean hat was Eric Holder and the Obama White House? I’m sorry, I had no idea.”

Fenris on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Now THAT is funny…

CycloneCDB on June 7, 2012 at 5:53 PM

I probably should have linked to the urban dictionary.

Obviously, “Can.I.be.in.the.middle” isn’t referring to his political ideology.

Resist We Much on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

cripe…bubba get with the program dude

cmsinaz on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Bill Clinton: It depends on what your definition of is is when you asked, “Is President Clinton helping Governor Mitt Romney?”

Wolf Blitzer: You monster!

Bill Clinton: Heh… heh… heh… I love politics, Wolf. I love it. *bites lip*

Punchenko on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Clinton: That depends on what your definition of “when” is. The era of big government was over, but now it’s back. I was for extending the tax cuts before I was against it. Aren’t you glad Bin Laden is dead? Hey Monica, that cigar was sweet! Could I have another one?

Steve Z on June 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM

This is why I admire Bush, for just shutting up and going away. No gaffes, no walkbacks, no apologies to worry about. Just mindful that his time has passed and happy to live a private life.

Go RBNY on June 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

..taking this all in yields an almost kaleidoscopic image of a campaign in such extraordinary disarray.

It is the most amazing foot-shooting-dick-stomping (sorry, ladies) contest I have ever witnessed. Everyone on their side is emerging from these fusillades looking like Fearless Fosdick.

The War Planner on June 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

That’s fine Bubba. Now is the time you pull the dagger out of Obama’s back here just so you can jam it in somewhere else. When you go to sleep tonight, you’ll dream of a place where you could just say “the hell with it” and endorse Romney outright. You know you want to.

Gingotts on June 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Obama, et al., may have thought that they admonished Clinton with results, but really, can you see Clinton kowtowing to a guy he despises?

He’s giving the appearance of regret while he does what he wants to do.

Fenris on June 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

I anticipate more of the same, interspersed at crucial moments.

INC on June 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Bill Clinton, still a lying POS.

catmman on June 7, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Remember when President Ronald Reagan would ignore the liberal media anywhere within a mile of his helicopter, claiming he couldn’t hear them?

slickwillie2001 on June 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Wolf Blitzer: See! See! There you go again! There you go again!

Bill Clinton: What!? What!?

Punchenko on June 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Bravo!

PolAgnostic on June 7, 2012 at 6:19 PM

None of the liberal wizards has a clue about what to do about the economy.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 7, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Punchenko on June 7, 2012 at 5:56 PM

If American had a comedy industry that was willing to push the envelope and be politically incorrect, that’s what they would be doing.

slickwillie2001 on June 7, 2012 at 6:23 PM

From hostage tape to hostage interview….I like how this is going.

hot-heir on June 7, 2012 at 6:24 PM

So heres the spin:

Bill Clinton is stupid.

Obama is smart.

/I think that will work very well indeed. Especially with the moderate Dem base.

Way to go O!

Key West Reader on June 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

“Uh, I’m very sorry – I was a little distracted because I was getting a hummer under the desk when I inadvertently made that obviously true statement.” – B.J. Clinton

Pork-Chop on June 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

It bothers me how afraid everyone seems to be of this president.

taternuggets on June 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Who is this gelding? I liked yesterdays wyld stallyn Bill Clinton.

BHO Jonestown on June 7, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Maybe he is senile

jake-the-goose on June 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

It bothers me how afraid everyone seems to be of this president.

taternuggets on June 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Rezco and Blago went quietly off to jail. Imagine what they would say…except the Chicago Machine knows where their families live.

Remember what he said during the bailout talks, “I’m the only thing between you and the pitchforks”?

This is just more political thuggery. And we can guess what Obama has on Bubba.

Wethal on June 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Now he does sound old and befuddled. Got to him, too, I see. And, here everyone thought Bill was going to slam Obama and his buddies for castigating Bill and characterizing him as an senile old fool. Jokes on us, I guess.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

ODDS ARE NOW 48 to 1 that the OBOZO campaign will have Slick Willie committed to a “home” with no access to the public BEFORE the Nov. election.

TeaPartyNation on June 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Correction: As a senile, old fool.

totherightofthem on June 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Three Clinton votes for Mitt Romney in November.

Philly on June 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

This is just more political thuggery. And we can guess what Obama has on Bubba.

Wethal on June 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Unfortunately for the Clintons, Hillary’s FBI file dump on everyone in Congress would not have included little Bammie. If it had, she would be president today.

slickwillie2001 on June 7, 2012 at 6:57 PM

It depends on what the definition of “time line” is is.

2Tru2Tru on June 7, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Next to “WE have to pass the bill to see what is in it”this walk back is the most pathetic thing I’ve seen in politics.

docflash on June 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

I forgot to add Bain, Trump, Gifford, Trump, Bain, Big Oil, Trump, Bain…

2Tru2Tru on June 7, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Who’s the bigger chickenshit, Barry or Willie? It’s close but I’m still holding it’s Barry. Big Sis could beat him senseless with one arm tied.

minnesoter on June 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Three Clinton votes for Mitt Romney in November.

Philly on June 7, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Four votes. Mr. Chelsea Clinton will do what he is told and like it…. or else.

ExpressoBold on June 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Expresso, you are correct.

Philly on June 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Clinton is probably feeling a lot like Friedrich Paulus did in January ’43.

jaime on June 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Clinton had his mind on Maria and Cigars. Can’t blame a serial rapist for that.

they lie on June 7, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I didn’t know Obama wore a blue dress

TexasJew on June 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Obama has done what Hiliary never could, made Bill a eunuch.

I guess this comes from “because she doesn’t go all the way down”

J_Crater on June 7, 2012 at 9:48 PM