Videos: Do you recall …

posted at 2:01 pm on June 6, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

If you watched the cable networks last night after the Wisconsin recall elections results made it obvious that Scott Walker won decisively over Tom Barrett, you’d have come away with the idea that no one thought this would mean anything in the national election five months from now, or in any other state.  That kind of consensus didn’t always exist.  American Future Fund produced this ad overnight after Walker’s win reminding us what was actually being said before it became plain that Barrett was not going to catch up to Walker:

On the other hand,perhaps a little self-deception is a healthy thing.  Barrett conceded the race to Walker when reality finally dawned, but at least one campaign worker wasn’t ready to admit defeatShe slapped the Milwaukee mayor for conceding before every ballot was counted:

12 News’ Terry Sater just spoke to the mayor about the ‘slap.’ Barrett said the woman asked if she could slap him for conceding. He said he’d rather she hug him. So he leaned down.. and got the slap.

“A woman who had been very angry that the mayor had conceded prior to the polls…all the votes being counted, rather, she was upset with the mayor…she came up and she slapped him and said, ‘How dare you concede, while there are people still trying to vote inside the Ziegler building.’”

“So the polls closed at 8, but there were still people inside the buildings who hadn’t had a chance to vote, so legally they could still vote. So by 8’o clock, it was still an hour and a half later and people are still trying to cast their ballots.”

“This woman is upset about that, and she slapped the mayor. He seemed very stunned by the fact that she had done that. Obviously, some of the passion and disappointment, tonight, coming out through that one woman’s hand and her temper.”

Ed Schultz called the results “a warning” about money in the political system, and railed on about Citizens United:

It’s interesting, is it not, that these same liberals didn’t seem to mind when unions got exempted from the spending limitations that got overturned in Citizens United, eh?  And how about that $600 million spendfest that Barack Obama staged in 2008, when the defender of public financing in presidential elections declined to accept those limitations on himself?  Speaking of which, Jammie Wearing Fool points out the irony of complaints on the Left about money in politics while Obama flew to California for five fundraisers in a single day:

President Obama’s campaign is increasingly focusing its fundraising efforts on California, where Obama on Wednesday will make his third trip in a month to attend five fundraisers.

Silicon Valley and Hollywood are Obama’s hottest spots to raise money, and the spigots have opened wider since Obama last month went public with his personal endorsement of gay marriage, which went over particularly well with California donors.

The president’s trip on Wednesday will be his 16th visit to California since entering office.

To be sure, the Golden State has always been a major cash machine for Democratic candidates — and even some Republicans. Sixteen of Obama’s top bundlers — including DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg  —  hail from California. But the state’s importance to the president has increased as Wall Street has cooled to Obama because of his attacks on Mitt Romney’s private-equity background at Bain Capital.

The Left isn’t sore about spending money.  They’re sore they got beat at the unions’ own game by Republicans.  And now they want us to believe that what had previously been an election that would affect races from President to dogcatcher now means nothing because, er, they lost.  Good luck with that.

Update: Ed Frank brings us Great Moments in Liberal Punditry:

Ready for November? Certainly looks like it!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He had no time to research Mitt.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

I dare you to tell his close friend Dana Loesch that. Or Joel Pollack. Or Dan Rehiel.

Dana herself says that Romney was not her first choice – BUT – since he’s the nominee he’s who we need to be supporting.

And you know what? She repeats the very same quotes from Andrew that were posted above to justify her reason for doing so.

Look, I was a Gingrich supporter from the get go, but there comes a time when adults realize they have to face reality. You don’t want to vote for Romney, fine, then don’t. But STHU about it, because whether we like it or not, he’s the GOP nominee and you’re sure as hell not going to convince me to vote for Obama or throw my vote away by voting for someone who has no chance in hell of winning, like Gary Johnson.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, and you admitted earlier in another post where you did your research.

wikipedia.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Another personal attack and outright lie. A link was also posted.

But I did not say how I use Wikipedia. I use all the links at the bottom of the page. Then make sure the link is to a source that is reasonable. One that is a valid source of material. NY Times for example. Wikipedia is just a starting place and everyone knows it. It is often the worst place I agree. Tons of false information there especially when the information is involved in a current event.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Yeah, and you admitted earlier in another post where you did your research.

wikipedia.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

You’re kidding? He really believes everything he reads on wikipedia?

Hey Steve, you do know where the “facts” you read on wikipedia come from, don’t you?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Ok, forget my 5:48 comment.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Pic of the Day: At Least She’s (?) Honest..

M2RB: Def Leppard

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Can you not see how this is what the Democrats always want us to do STHU. Mitt can not possibly win. McCain could not possibly win. Wisconsin proves Mitt will NOT win.

But that said. I honestly feel we would be much much worse off with Mitt as President than Obama. I never felt that way about McCain until after the election. But that experience taught me to say something before the election. No reason for false hopes. America needs Hope but we will not get it from Obama or Mitt. That is just a fact.

I have never in any way encouraged anyone to vote for Obama the Muslim Marxist piece of trash that is illegally in office.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Then pray tell, WHO are we supposed to vote for if not Romney or Obama?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Love the Bennie Hill music…

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Come to think of it, all of the antics of the Obama administration would make more sense if accompanied by Bennie Hill music.

…And it would work for the Clinton administration, too!!

landlines on June 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Did you know that Rush Limbaugh died?

Did you know that Tony Blair covered his bedroom walls with posters of Hitler as a teenager?

Did you know that David Beckham was a Chinese goalkeeper in the 18th century?

Did you know that singer, Robbie Williams, earns his millions eating pet hamsters?

Did you know that former Foreign Secretary, Jack Straw, made surprise visits to Ilford instead of Iraq?

Did you know that Teddy Kennedy died at the inauguration luncheon and it was his doppleganger that was buried in Arlington National Cemetery?

Did you know that Robert Byrd, after saying goodbye to his friend, Teddy Kennedy, collapsed and died in the Capitol Rotunda following the inauguration luncheon?

Did you know that John Seigenthaler Sr., who was the assistant to Attorney General Robert Kennedy in the early 1960′s, was thought to have been directly involved in the Kennedy assassinations of both John, and his brother, Bobby?

The above are just a few of the more egregious errors that have been on wiki pages.

In 2007, the New York Times had a big article about how error-laden wikipedia is and how college professors refuse to allow it as a source. Citing wikipedia is the sign of a lazy researcher.

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

You Mitt Bots just attack me personally. You know I am speaking the truth. So you can not attack the facts. Thus you attempt to shut me up. Well that is Marxism.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

A couple of things and then I’m done. You remind me of that Zeigler fellow who humps Palin’s leg every chance he gets, except it’s Romney’s leg.

- I am not a Mittbot, I am a tired and pragmatic Palinista. I’d hazard a guess that 97% of your audience are supporters of others and reluctant Mitt supporters.

- I do not know you are speaking the truth. I cannot see the future and neither can you. Your “facts” are really just your opinion and like a-holes everyone’s got one. Your TRVTH is no more special than anyone else’s.

- I’m not attempting to shut you up, but I am tired of the same one note BS from you. I wish the hosts had a killfile as it’s impossible to not read a few sentences before realizing one is going to be wading in a pool of stinky cr*p. However, taking your point, clearly I am not very good at “shutting you up” because here you are.

- It’s not Marxism to want to read fresh ideas and not chicken little, myopic, tired and idiotic talking points.

Hope that cleared up a few things…

kim roy on June 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Then pray tell, WHO are we supposed to vote for if not Romney or Obama?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

You are just supposed to sit on the sofa, scream, shake your fist at the sky, and say that “If Obama wins because of Marxist Mitt, it will be the fault of everyone, who gave money, organised, made phone calls, got in the car, drove to the polls and voted for Romney. It won’t be my fault because I was banging my spoon on my highchair!”

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

He had no time to research Mitt.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

You’re an idiot. Mitt ran in 2007/8. AB knew exactly who Romney was and he would be out there slaying Progs today for Mitt Romney. He would be disgusted with people like you.

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I have my own concerns with Romney, always have, but that’s not the point here. YOU are.

Point is, you’re not fooling anyone and you won’t. You should stop trying.

splink on June 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I am doing the opposite.

Trying to present facts.

Fact Romney in his 2002 Debate said he was not a Republican and repudiated the Party. Thus he is a Democrat. The registration is just a technicality. His words. Fine with me. But do not tell me you ran as a Republican you did not.

Fact George Romney was a Marxist and praised North Vietnam and encouraged all to listen to Saul Alinsky. Who learned his rules for Radicals from a Mafia hitman in large part. Mitt was Georges Spokesman at the time.

We are setting ourselves up here. I and a lot of Americans feel this is the most important election in our lifetime.

I pray GOD will help but I feel I must do what I can to inform others.

We should not be blind to who our Candidate really is. The convention has not been held so it is not absolutely too late to do anything about Mitt.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

He had no time to research Mitt.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Was it Goebels who said

“Tell a big enough lie often enough and eventually everyone will believe it”

But really many were pointing to Mitts real record in the Primaries. But Mitt kept telling lies huge lies that few people talked about and Mitt Bots shut down. Like I only got money from two agencies of the Government. When he is on tape bragging about getting money from numerous agencies even a million from the Dept of Education. Like his lie that Gingrich was attacking Capitalism. Gingrich was just asking questions about Bain. Vulture Capitalism is bad and now illegal but that is not what Bain did. But Mitt Romney did not defend Bain then instead he attacked Gingrich. Later he defended it so he could have.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

Then pray tell, WHO are we supposed to vote for if not Romney or Obama?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m still waiting.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Was it Goebels who said “Tell a big enough lie often enough and eventually everyone will believe it”

There is great debate as to whether he ever said that and there has been disagreement over sources. Hitler wrote, however, about The Big Lie in Mein Kampf. You may be thinking of Goebbel’s essay, Churchill’s Lie Factory written in 1941:

“One should not as a rule reveal one’s secrets, since one does not know if and when one may need them again. The essential English leadership secret does not depend on particular intelligence. Rather, it depends on a remarkably stupid thick-headedness. The English follow the principle that when one lies, one should lie big, and stick to it. They keep up their lies, even at the risk of looking ridiculous.”

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 6:43 PM

We all know that, but it is in the past. If you think Newt Gingrich is much better than Romney, then YOU haven’t done YOUR research. You see, I am an experienced op-researcher and I do my own work.

Newt: If You Don’t Know Me By Now… (Mo Will Tell You Everything That I Don’t Want You To Know)

I did work on all of the major candidates. NONE of them impress me much, but Mitt Romney already has the delegates. He is going to get the nomination unless he withdraws or dies. You just need to reconcile yourself to that fact.

As I said, I don’t care for whom you vote or if you vote…just keep your trap shut for the next 4 years if Obama wins reelection and you did not vote for the ONLY viable candidate that can take him out, the future, Republican nominee, Mitt Romney.

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 7:03 PM

I’m still waiting.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

You do know that a$$hole is a Supreme MOby of the highest order right??

Why are you even giving him a second thought..?

BigWyo on June 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Then pray tell, WHO are we supposed to vote for if not Romney or Obama?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

I’m still waiting.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Neither.

Both are Democrats I only vote for Republicans.

Mitt can not repudiate the Party in 2002 then use that experiance from his term as a Democrat and say he is now a Republican. Just as hard to believe as Clinton saying anything.

Like the other thread said though. Unless Mitt could get the economy working we are better of if Mitt loses. Mitt has advisers that indicate he will do nothing that will fix this economy. We need cuts NOW. Not in the future. Those never actually happen and everyone knows this. Mitt wants to refund defense but pay for it with imaginary future cuts. No cut now or you are just lying to us.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

BigWyo on June 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

So I can taunt him with his refusal to answer in the next thread he starts his pissin’ and moanin’.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

You do know that a$$hole is a Supreme MOby of the highest order right??

Why are you even giving him a second thought..?

BigWyo on June 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM

You must worship at the alter of Saul Alinsky.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

So you can’t tell us who to vote for, yet you’re in almost every thread pissin’ and moanin’ about Romney?

hmm, sounds like the textbook definition of an internet troll.

bye!

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

You must worship at the alter of Saul Alinsky.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

ALTAR

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Steveangell (stupid name, BTW):

You’re just a lib troll. You’re not fooling anyone here.

HotAir posters: Ignore this idiot.

MisterElephant on June 6, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Concur. Steveangell’s a damned moby fraud. Too much inconsistency / contradictory BS. Ignore.

rayra on June 7, 2012 at 2:44 AM

In the aftermath of the Congresswoman shooting in Tucson, CNN and the others were going to ban military terms from political discussions. Remember several years ago when when Al Sharpton and fellow race hustler Jesse Jackson symbolically buried the “N” word in Detroit? This is just more of the usual duplicity from the looney, yet dangerous Left. Will no one rid us of these people? Put them in a museum, they’ve long outlived their relevancy.

SpiderMike on June 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Just give it up. This site is infested with prog trolls like Flora Duh and you’re not going to change their minds. The writing was on the wall the moment Malkin sold HA. Time to move on to greener pastures.

Dunedainn on June 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

You know, it’s funny. There was a time when people like Flora Duh were seen for the trolls that they were: people like PopTech and crr6. We tolerated them until they went off the deep end and got themselves banned. Now most of the decent people have fled HA and said trolls seem to run this site. A shame, really.

Dunedainn on June 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Ya know, that Rachel Maddow is not a bad looking fellow.

Bevan on June 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Dunedainn on June 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

You remind me of the black bounty hunter from the “Objects in Space” episode of Firefly…when he is adrift…

tom daschle concerned on June 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Liberals are nothing but insolent children trapped inside adult bodies. Mostly ugly adult bodies, too.

Cherokee on June 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

yakkity sax……more please.

And throw in a disheveled englishmen chasing girls bikini’s – doubletime.

Tim_CA on June 7, 2012 at 9:16 PM