Ed Rendell: In hindsight, it was pretty stupid to try to recall Walker, huh?

posted at 4:41 pm on June 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

B-b-b-but I thought Wisconsin had sent a “strong message” to Walker about his “politics of division” or whatever.

How stupid was the recall effort? So stupid that even your friendly neighborhood eeyore was laughing about the futility of it nearly a year ago. An actual quote, written during the five minutes of my life to date in which I was feelin’ cocky:

Not only is the outrageous outrage over the collective bargaining bill fated to cool over time, as success stories bubble up in the news and centrist voters realize that the blue-collar apocalypse isn’t at hand, but it turns out a loophole in Wisconsin law will allow Walker to raise unlimited funds for two months to fight the recall effort starting in November. He’ll be armed to the teeth financially, in other words, and Republicans who turned out in droves to re-elect David Prosser in the face of a liberal onslaught will be even more motivated to protect the GOP’s newest hero…

Don’t we want the left to try this, given how likely they are to suffer another humiliating defeat?

Today is the day of gloating, my friends, so consider the box checked. Over to you, Ed Rendell:

“It was a dumb political fight — I would have waited until Walker’s reelection,” Rendell told The Hill when asked if the recall push had been a mistake. The former governor and head of the Democratic National Committee pointed to exit polls that showed a number of independents and Democrats who opposed Walker’s policies nonetheless voted for him because they opposed a recall…

“I don’t think it was quite as devastating a defeat for labor or Democrats as people are construing.” he said. “Don’t discount the Ohio vote. That was on a principle, not on a recall. You might make a case that the Ohio vote was a clear test…. This was a recall, not a straight up and down vote on what Walker did. You don’t try to recall Walker because he’s done something you disagree with. And if you reverse the money I have no doubt Walker would have lost.”

For what it’s worth, a Wall Street Journal piece published on May 20th quoted a number of Dems who insisted they opposed the recall all along. Whether that’s the truth or simple ass-covering at the eleventh hour as Walker’s reelection seemed assured, I leave for you to judge:

Top Democrats now say that when labor groups first raised the specter of a recall, the party’s officials urged their allies in Wisconsin to reconsider. “We told them it was a bad, bad, bad idea,” one Democratic official said.

A union official said both the Democratic National Committee and the Obama campaign expressed reservations. “I don’t know that anyone was enthusiastic about it over there,” the union official said.

Party leaders also counseled against pouring money into a contested primary ahead of the recall election, the Democratic official said.

Mr. Barca, the Wisconsin Assembly minority leader, said he had heard rumblings about the DNC’s displeasure with the recall. But Wisconsin residents weren’t seeking approval from Washington, he said.

I don’t think they had any choice but to try it. They went after Prosser as a proxy for Walker and nearly beat him; they went after Republican state senators and knocked a few of them off, although not enough (at the time) to take back the majority. What would their excuse have been for passing on trying to recall Satan himself? “We can’t win in a famously pro-labor state that’s voted Democratic in every presidential election for 25 years?” Contra Rendell, their real handicap here wasn’t money, it was time. Given the escalation from the Madison protests and the stakes in protecting Walker’s fiscal reforms, conservatives were always going to line up behind him and provide oceans of cash for his defense. The left’s problem was that they couldn’t try to recall Walker during his first year in office, which meant undecideds had time to see for themselves that the collective bargaining reforms worked. The sky didn’t fall; the state’s budget benefited from the move. And amidst all this, they got to watch Greece implode and America’s debt continue to climb because of increasingly onerous and ultimately unsustainable state obligations. Go figure that voters were ready to go to bat for a guy who’s willing to administer tough medicine for their fiscal health.

Via the Tatler, here’s the obligatory “Downfall” parody of last night’s outcome. Exit question: Heaven forbid that O win a second term this fall, but if he does, is Walker now the favorite in 2016? He’s suddenly the gold standard in standing up to entrenched liberal interests in the name of budgetary sanity, and we’re going to need a lot of sanity after Hopenchange v2.0.

Comments

AP!

Happy Anniversary!!!!

I didn’t know you have ever HAD a day whenyou were feeling cocky.

;->

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Seriously?
Get OUT!
///

annoyinglittletwerp on June 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Barney Frank said the same.

amerpundit on June 6, 2012 at 4:46 PM

“whenyou” …

red neck – same origins a “yantoo?”

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Heh. You called it.

And that Downfall vid is great.

changer1701 on June 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The Hitler parody is really well written. It’s supposed to be a joke — but it’s all true! “Sacramento…the last bastion of imbeciles.” HA!

Rational Thought on June 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Abso-freaking-lutely. No question about it (assuming there would be something left to salvage)

Kataklysmic on June 6, 2012 at 4:49 PM

The people of WI, from the left to the right, are basically decent people. Good and fair won over evil last night.

Rendell is still wrong on the “money candy”. He can chew on it all he wants.

Schadenfreude on June 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

A faction of dems is apparently admitting, at least among themselves, that Obooba is toast and someone needs to grab the wheel and jam on the brakes while there’s still time.

So they’re getting sound bites out there now so that when the recriminations are flying like shrapnel in November they can point behind them and say, “Well, look what I was saying in June!”

Akzed on June 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

And if you reverse the money I have no doubt Walker would have lost.

I wonder if Rendell thinks McCain would have won in 2008 if he hadn’t been outspent 3-1 by Teh One?

Kataklysmic on June 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

He’s one of the favorites. But let’s not get carried away. Romney will win in November. Walker will have plenty of opportunities to seek the White House in 2020 and beyond.

Doughboy on June 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Wow …

… first comment AND a whole minute faster than ALT !!!

OFF to the casino!!!

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Fast Eddie is a genius. Just ask him.

Philly on June 6, 2012 at 4:51 PM

I have always argued that Walker would be a major 2016 contender, along with Christie, Pence, Rubio, Jeb Bush, and maybe even Rand Paul. My preference up until now has been Mike Pence, but given how hard Walker took it to the left last night and how effective his reforms have been, I’m giving him a hard look.

Doomberg on June 6, 2012 at 4:52 PM

“It’s the last bastion of imbeciles”

Oh! If only I could believe that! If only!

squint on June 6, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Today is the day of gloating, my friends, so consider the box checked bot humped.

FTFY

ted c on June 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Yes, Mr. Rendell. It’s called overplaying your hand, and the left does it all the time. And very poorly at that.

And when they have a losing hand, they seem to have no idea that it’s time to fold.

UltimateBob on June 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I just had a lib friend tell me last night doesn’t affect 0bama and he will be reelected…

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

You betcha!

cat_owner on June 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

As long as Dems think walking around with their heads up their butts is “hindsight”, I’m cool with that.

cartooner on June 6, 2012 at 4:58 PM

More likely they were union members voting for Walker and feeling bad they voted against the Union. Or just people that thought Walker was but better choice but also opposed the Recall. I would never vote against my candidate in a Recall even if I opposed the Recall. I would work to get the Recall process fixed instead.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I’ve watched more Downfall riffs than I can recall.

Very few are funny, this version was quite funny.

roy_batty on June 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

The HA libs here have been claiming that all day.

Del Dolemonte on June 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

When times are hard, people tend to vote their wallet. Although you can also count on the roughly 33% who continue to remain stupid.

GarandFan on June 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Here is what they are missing. Conservatives are more determined than ever after last night. This is our first big win against organized labor and their money.

We proved that not only can we win, we can outraise and out ground game them.

Don’t think that every state isn’t thinking if Wisconsin can do it – we can do it too.

gophergirl on June 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Obama won’t be reelected in this country, not even as a dog catcher. Especially as a dog catcher. Well, there’s always a Sacramento school board for him…

Archivarix on June 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Did you ask why, and did this friend have anything to say about WI before the recall?

thebrokenrattle on June 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Holy smokes, it’s eerie how much that guy resembles the real Hitler.

dczombie on June 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

When the question is phrased, “do you want to hang with the cool guy with greens priveleges everywhere or the geeky misssionary guy?” I’m sure Obama wins.

When you ask tax payers, “do you want to keep funding platinum benies, guaranteed fat retirments, and above average salaries while our government runs up debts and you personally are fincially sinking?” the answer is HELL NO!

We’ve got to make this about the economy, stupid.

Laura in Maryland on June 6, 2012 at 5:09 PM

thebrokenrattle on June 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

I asked why, and he said people are tired of unions and that they served their purpose back in the day. Yes we talked about the recall before the election and he said the same thing-even if Walker won that it wouldn’t affect 0bama…

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 5:12 PM

“Don’t discount the Ohio vote”

The Ohio vote blocked implementation of the rules, so people didn’t get to see how well or poorly they worked. The WI vote happened a year after the rules went into effect.

IOW, having actually seen the rules in effect, the voters liked them. This should scare the hell out of the Demos, because it tells Republicans that they should do this any place where the Democrats can’t use a referendum to block them.

You know, like next year, in Congress.

Greg Q on June 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Archivarix on June 6, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Now that is funny!

Vince on June 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM

solid take a year ago, toast to AP, you deserve it

DanMan on June 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

We proved that not only can we win, we can outraise and out ground game them.

gophergirl on June 6, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Yes Conservatives are fired up to vote for a Conservative but he did not win with just Conservatives.

Conservatives are most definitively not fired up for RINOS. We detest RINOS and Mitt is really a Democrat pretending to be a RINO. Why he is 14 points behind Walker.

Steveangell on June 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Oh, I don’t know. Feingold lost to a conservative and Walker won as a conservative in 2010. He even told the voters what he was going to do. Also, the legilature went conservative in 2010.

I think Wisconsin is turning pink if not downright red!

Vince on June 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Excellent call, AP, on Wisconsin. You completely nailed it.

I know there’ve been a lot of Downfall vids but that one is hilarious. And accurate. California is Nitwit Central. And I say that, ahem, as a resident.

Django on June 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I see that axelrod was playing hitler on youtube…..I love it….Sacremento…free hookers and cocaine….

crosshugger on June 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

solid take a year ago, toast to AP, you deserve it

DanMan on June 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

…*clink*…

KOOLAID2 on June 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Stupid recall, eh? Gee, Rendell, ya’ think?!

stukinIL4now on June 6, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Rendell is still wrong on the “money candy”. He can chew on it all he wants.
Schadenfreude on June 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Lol. The left is now “good” only if they vote for your bought tea party Jesus right? I won’t even be surprised if you wingies run him in 16 and win. America as we know her passed away yesterday.
Welcome to the new America where money talks and masses watch.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

This recall of Walker was totally Union based (Unions want to dictate who the dictators are to be.), not the people of WI based. The result proves it.

aposematic on June 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Welcome to the new America where money talks and masses watch.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Unlike in 2008, where money talked and masses watched and it was AWESOME because Obama is basically God and he’s going to bring us hope and change.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Allah may I be OT for just a second? Can anyone here spare a comment or two? We really should get last nights open thread to 3000. I mean we only need 34 comments and we’re there. I’ve waited patiently all day, thinking, its just got to get to 3000, Yet there she sits 34 shy. Come on, what do say. One last victory lap. One last big dance. One last hurrah! Anyhow OT.
Thank you Allah.

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Awww what a beautiful day eh???

Kleenex?

CW on June 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

UPPER I forgot….PHUCK OFF.

CW on June 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Ed Rendell says:

And if you reverse the money I have no doubt Walker would have lost.

This is pure hogwash; the expenditures on both sides were very close.

I’ve been reading these sour grapes all day, generally in the form of Walker outspending Barrett by 7-1. But that is far from the whole story. Walker spent $30-million; Barrett spent $4-million, which looks like 7-1 against. But the Unions also spent nearly $17-million solely against Walker. So we are already up to $21-million against. That is a far cry from the 7-1 bullsweat stories.

The total Walker race, by itself, is accounted at some $63-million. That means that Walker spent $30-million to defend against $33-million spent by his opposition.

If the money was reversed, Mr. Rendell, the Walker blow-out would have been bigger.

ss396 on June 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Welcome to the new America where money talks and masses watch.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

WHOA! I lurk here and comment seldom, but I could not resist thanking you, UES, for the bitters you just trickled into my cocktail.

RushBaby on June 6, 2012 at 6:01 PM

A waste of everyones money. Red and Blue bills out of pockets.

Limerick on June 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

No, NO! This is the day of gloating! YOU SAID SO.

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Welcome to the new America where money talks and masses watch.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

How outraged are you that Obama is to raise ONE BILLION DOLLARS for his futile efforts at holding onto the White House? Just think, ONE BILLION DOLLARS, U.S. Doesn’t that just make your blood boil? LOL I didn’t think so! :D

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

That was a pretty good Downfall parody, right on target.

joeindc44 on June 6, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

I can’t believe you weren’t banned for that comment you made on the “Drops a Deuce” thread.

You’re classless and your tears taste salty.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You’re classless and your tears taste salty.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

You know, you kind of have a HotAir civic duty to email Ed and/or Allah about that kind of stuff. They can’t possibly read every comment. :D

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:20 PM

I was at work and didn’t have access. I’ll take care of it now.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

One last victory lap. One last big dance. One last hurrah! Anyhow OT.
Thank you Allah.

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Done

… and I stayed on topic there …

Your quite right, Bmore. that Downfall parody does make a nice victory lap.

… and here … :)

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

I was at work and didn’t have access. I’ll take care of it now.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

:D Hopefully, he/she will have a chance to respond to my comment about how Obama is hoping to buy the presidential election with ONE BILLION DOLLARS before they are shown the door by security. I’m still waiting….

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Welcome to the new America where money talks and masses watch.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Well.
Interesting to note you go both ways …

… you can be a troll …

… and a thrower of tantrums.

You family must be so proud.

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Ed Rendell says:

And if you reverse the money I have no doubt Walker would have lost.

This is pure hogwash; the expenditures on both sides were very close.

ss396 on June 6, 2012 at 5:58 PM

I’m sure that the democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros will release a statement shortly telling us how much he spent on the Wisconsin race as well, right?

slickwillie2001 on June 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

The Democrats did not lose in Wisconsin because they got outspent. They got outspent because it was a loser cause.

I don’t think the doubt expressed by Rendel and other Democrat insiders is merely CYA. Had they thought this was a fight worth fighting, money and personnel would have poured into Wisconsin like soft serve into a cake cone. Obama would have been all over the place hogging the cameras and giving lectures on the history of the labor movement, while Biden would have been giving interviews in a Badgers cap and a bullhorn. But money and credibility are tight at the DNC these days, so they let Big Labor swing on this one. Don’t say I blame them. Now they can get a day or two of “Death of Democracy” soundbites and “the Plutocrat Party outspent us” rhetoric.

Can’t wait ’til Big Labor turns on Obama. Should be soon.

Mr. Arkadin on June 6, 2012 at 6:35 PM

I was at work and didn’t have access. I’ll take care of it now.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I found the one at 12:35 and I emailed Ed about it, too. Creepy! They always lose it eventually, don’t they?

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

PolAgnostic on June 6, 2012 at 6:22 PM

; )

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’d love to facebook that “Downfall” parody, unfortunately most of my FB friends don’t know what a “Wisconsin” is, much less what happened there.

kurtzz3 on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM

cynccook on June 6, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Yep.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM

AP says-

Contra Rendell, their real handicap here wasn’t money, it was time.

Actually, I agree but in a different way. I think that, had the unions waited longer in putting in their request for a recall and filing petitions, they would have done better. The lefties went for the symbolic 1-year point which meant that the special election would be held sometime in June. That gave all of the big $$ primary donors in the GOP who didn’t have a cause to throw money at a new “nominee” to support (think Sheldon Adelson not having Newt anymore but thinking, “hey, why don’t i throw some cash at this Walker guy…”). Also, they made it so that Scott Walker was the big news.

Had they waited to target Walker’s recall to coincide with the November general election, Scott Walker would have been page 6 news at best, Romney would be sucking all of the cash and air out of the room and the democratic recall challenger would have been on the ticket with Obama riding his coat tails. Barrett would have had a much better chance.

But hey, the lefties wanted their symbolic show of strength impotence and boy did they get it….

powerpickle on June 6, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Great parody in the video clip. It was hilarious in and of itself. But I have to think that a cabinet meeting with zer0 and crew must roll pretty much that way, in any case.

MisterElephant on June 6, 2012 at 9:05 PM

Congratulation Allah, you called that one exactly right. I don’t have a post to prove it, but I never thought the Donks would be able to recall Walker either.

Axion on June 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Holy smokes, it’s eerie how much that guy resembles the real Hitler.

dczombie on June 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

What’s even more eerie is the actor’s dead on portrayal of Hitler’s Austrian accent.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on June 7, 2012 at 3:05 AM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Whistling past the graveyard?

SKYFOX on June 7, 2012 at 6:14 AM