Quotes of the day; Update: Walker victory speech added

posted at 11:22 pm on June 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

The year-long saga of the Wisconsin recall is, at long last, over, and Scott Walker is still standing. The low-key Republican governor has withstood a sustained (and expensive) onslaught from the forces of Big Labor and its allies on the Left that featured everything from the coordinated cross-border retreat of intransigent Democratic lawmakers, to the occupation of the state house by a band of radicals, bongo drummers, and high school truants, to ill-fated attempts to nullify Republican legislative majorities and pick off uncooperative judges. Walker’s enemies did everything but release the kraken…

Scott Walker saved his job by being the adult in the room. While Democrats in Washington seem to be relying on their belief that the United States government is “too big to fail” to justify a program of taxing and spending our way out of debt, the states don’t have such a luxury. And so, across the country, in states red, blue, and purple, they have turned to men like Scott Walker — and Chris Christie, and Mitch Daniels, and others — to close structural deficits, stabilize out-of-control spending, and break the death embrace between Big Labor and Big Government. In taking this toxic partnership head on, in a state with a rich progressive history no less, Walker became its biggest target. His enemies spent a year and a half preparing to take their best shot at him. And a combined total of $100 million or so later, they missed. They missed because voters are starting to understand that governing through crisis requires someone willing to make unpopular choices, stand up to entrenched interests, and hold the line against loud and determined opposition.

Quite simply, Wisconsin voters realized that if they no longer had Scott Walker, they would have to invent him.

***

Mitt Romney just issued this statement, congratulating Scott Walker for his victory in tonight’s Wisconsin recall election:

“I congratulate Scott Walker on his victory in Wisconsin. Governor Walker has demonstrated over the past year what sound fiscal policies can do to turn an economy around, and I believe that in November voters across the country will demonstrate that they want the same in Washington, D.C. Tonight’s results will echo beyond the borders of Wisconsin. Governor Walker has shown that citizens and taxpayers can fight back – and prevail – against the runaway government costs imposed by labor bosses. Tonight voters said ‘no’ to the tired, liberal ideas of yesterday, and ‘yes’ to fiscal responsibility and a new direction. I look forward to working with Governor Walker to help build a better, brighter future for all Americans.”

***

Of course, Walker’s victory is about more than public sector unions. What Walker has demonstrated is that voters will ultimately reward politicians for showing political courage on the big issues if they have the resolve to see their policies implemented and watch them succeed. Enthusiasm for Walker among his supporters was off the charts because people are more willing to fight for a leader who has actually taken a stand. As the United States faces a looming fiscal crisis due to prior generations unwillingness to tackle runaway spending on the entitlement programs of Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, wobbly-kneed politicians in Washington should look to Walker’s triumph in Wisconsin for inspiration.

***

Confrontations between the people and organized labor aren’t new, but they have a way of translating to the national conversation. A single sentence arguably made Calvin Coolidge president: “There is no right to strike against the public safety by anybody, anywhere, any time.” It hit a nerve then, as it has now. I have seen conservative crowds give applause for presidents and political figures all over the country, but I have never seen them applaud as they do for Walker. That applause will only get louder now…

Walker’s reforms are nowhere near as severe as they’re made out to be, and they are less exportable than some might like. But branding this as the most important election of the year is not entirely wrong. Walker’s confrontation writ large is not with public sector unions, but with the dying Blue social model. It is one of the longest-lived coalitions in American politics, but one the White House is already letting slip – the marriage decision was a clear sign of that. Tonight’s Walker victory may prove to be its death knell.

***

The recalls began with anger over Walker’s stance on collective bargaining, but Democrats quickly changed the subject when it became clear that collective bargaining wasn’t a winning issue with voters, who had begun to see the positive results of reform.

But the public is smart — people understood that the Democrats’ constantly shifting issues were essentially a poker tell. The unions were trying to fill an inside straight, it was clear, while Walker pulled a new ace with every school district that praised his reforms. The fact that Dems attempted last-minute personal smears, they showed everyone exactly how far behind they thought they were. And on that count, they were right.

Now, the question becomes: With Walker’s victory, have Democrats blown any chance of beating him in 2014? Anyone gutsy enough to take him on had better be willing to tussle with a national star whose political courage will be the new standard in American politics.

***

Following his victory over Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, Governor Walker thanked the voters for their support and focused on the future.

“Bringing our state together will take some time, but I hope to start right away,” Governor Walker said. “It is time to put our differences aside and figure out ways that we can move Wisconsin forward.”

***

Via the Right Scoop.

***

Via the Blaze.

***

Here’s the man of the hour, via Fox News Insider.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Morning guys. I switched to FoxNews. Can’t watch when Mika is in charge.
I watched a little CNBC and there was a fun segment when the hosts made The New York Times John Harwood (Obama butt kisser) grovel and say he was wrong. Apparently he had promised a big Barrett come from behind.

Marcus on June 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Marcus on June 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM

heh

she is more annoying when joe is away that’s for sure…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Morning all. Oh, what a night…

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Yes indeedy OC :)

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM

i guess what I don’t understand is that dear leader does not have to work with collective bargaining rights for the federal gov’t so why all the outrage that WI took away public collective rights at the state level

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:06 AM

It looks like they’re having a funeral this moring on MSLSD…Mika looks sick. I’m enjoying watching this for about 15 minutes for the laugh factor. The delusion is incredible.

Southgirl on June 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Chuck Todd is visibly depressed today. Awesome. :-)

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Can’t bring myself to tune in to Mika…

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

good for bob mcdonnell laughing at mika trying to put up the ‘big money is the problem’ in these elections…

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Oh what a wonderful day it was. Due to the massive time zone difference of where I am I have been able to watch all the reaction all day.

I must say, this has been one of the better days to watch Lefties flip out.
The news over the next few days should be great to. Im really looking forward to see how little MSNBC covers this story.

Blu3Yeti on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Chuck Todd is visibly depressed today. Awesome. :-)

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Maybe he’s depressed because the “goatee-distracts-from-hair-loss” ploy is no longer working.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

dang i love bob mcdonnell…holding is with the morning joe firing squad

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

My take.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:16 AM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

It really isn’t working, is it? Poor Chuck Todd. :-(

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:08 AM

tee hee

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Harold Ford beclowned himself with his inquisition :-)

No Harold, GOP Govs (Walker, Christie, Scott) nation wide have been balancing budgets and their states have seen employment well above the rest of the nation.

MJBrutus on June 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

kj, great take buddy :)

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

I used to be against him for sucking up to all those filthy rich limousine liberals and corrupt wall street barons.

Uppereastside on June 6, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Obama 2012. Let’s go!!

Uppereastside on May 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Absolutely hilarious.

rogerb on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

MJBrutus on June 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

why can’t you give this president any credit??????
-mj crowd

pathetic

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Goooooooood Morning Hot Air!

My theme for the day.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

their usual classy selves i see

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Yup…

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 7:25 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

good one

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:17 AM

Teehee!

;-)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM

money, money, money is how the left want to paint the victory. what about the ed shultz show? its essentially a media wing of the big unions. how about nbc,cbs, cnn etc. all the newspapers.

and the money? you have to be naive not to know that the unions put up triple the money under the table.

will our party ever say that? nope. don’t want to upset the independents.

renalin on June 6, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Where are the resident trolls at? I have a whole bag of salt and a gallon of lemon juice to rub into their wounds after last night’s devastating loss for Democrats, unions, and communists everywhere.

I must start my morning off right with derisive laughter at their feeble hope of remaining relative in American politics. :-)

Punchenko on June 6, 2012 at 7:31 AM

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

Hey, Bruti…you wanted all of us Hot Air cretins to give Obama credit for bin Laden. Do you want us to give him credit for last night, also?

Bwahahaha!

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Good Morning, All! Ive been to lots of wakes that were more fun than Morning Joe is having today. But then, I am of Irish descent.

Bob McDonald did a good job of bursting their liberal bubbles. But according to Howard Dean, indictments are imminent for Walker and his administration! Oh noes!

Naturally Curly on June 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Naturally Curly on June 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

They wish.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:34 AM

This is never over. The main headline will be about voter disenfranchisement. It just never ends.

tomas on June 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM

OT: Mitt Romney: This isn’t George W’s economy

go mitt!

this is all dear leader’s

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:37 AM

I love the smell of fiscal sanity in the morning…

BadgerHawk on June 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Naturally Curly on June 6, 2012 at 7:32 AM

ed and howard are delusional

cmsinaz on June 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

LMAO Ladysmith

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

When I listened to Governor Walker’s speech last night one thought kept coming to my mind – I’m listening to the words of a future President of the United States.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

GM Flora,

You know..I thought so too.

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM

The silent Conservative Majority is ready to be heard.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM

Congrats to Gov. Walker and the rest of the re-elected who survived this test with the approval of the voters of WI.

For the rest of us the lesson is clear: make sure you are registered to vote. Make sure your good friends are registered to vote, too.

Then get out and vote on election day.

Showing up matters and that means you must be registered and ready to vote.

WI was a win for registered voters who got out and voted.

America needs you to be registered to vote so your voice will have a say on election day.

ajacksonian on June 6, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Morning all. What do you take for a cheese hangover?

Nevermind. I’m enjoying it too much. I’m walking on sunshine!

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Morning! Not even the wind, lightening and drenching rain coming in off the Gulf can dampen the way I feel this morning.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

He was very good. I smiled at his repetition of the state motto: Forward. He took that word away from Obama.

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Yes, the victory was sweet!

I know, we got it bad yesterday..grey right now.
I stayed here too long last night..I have one eye open and drinking my Mountain Dew before I take off.

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Morning all. What do you take for a cheese hangover?

Nevermind. I’m enjoying it too much. I’m walking on sunshine!

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Brats’n'buns.

I’m from Buffalo originally and there it was the Helicopter Sandwich… fried bologna and onions. I love that stuff. And brats, too, come to think of it.

ajacksonian on June 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The silent Conservative Majority is ready to be heard.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM

I was wondering last night what Nancy Pelosi thinks about the “astro-turf” now?

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:52 AM

The silent Conservative Majority is ready to be heard.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM

What?

Bishop on June 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:48 AM

I understand. It’s a great day to be an American, on this 68th anniversary of D-Day.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

lol@cheese hangover

Why I like coming here..or one reason.

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Bishop on June 6, 2012 at 7:53 AM

LOL.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Morning all. What do you take for a cheese hangover?

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Why, more cheese, of course!!

JohnGalt23 on June 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

Nevermind. I’m enjoying it too much. I’m walking on sunshine!

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:47 AM

In some countries you can be executed for linking to “Katrina and the Waves”. Thank your god that this isn’t one of them.

Bishop on June 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM

Why, more cheese, of course!!

JohnGalt23 on June 6, 2012 at 7:54 AM

The hair of the dog. Just grab a slice. ;)

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Did anyone else catch Martin O’Malley on with Bret Baeir last night? He’s a nasty piece of work.

Naturally Curly on June 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Did you see the article at Daily Caller yesterday?

Scott Walker used ‘Forward’ slogan before Obama

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Gov. Walker is on Fox and Friends right now.

kingsjester on June 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 7:14 AM

LMAO Ladysmith

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

If I were Oprah with Kim Kardashian’s body (and I am) I’d say, “Good morrrr-niiiing–Like okay, it’s cool whatever…”

In Texas-by-way-of-SouthSide-Chicago(hey-yay!!), you’d be more likely to hear: I was speechless when reading about your physical maladies last night. You know, people don’t often know what to say when folks they like reveal that there’s something wrong. I’m sorry, bazil9. Be well.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

Bishop on June 6, 2012 at 7:55 AM

You were dancing around to it in the bunker, weren’t you? I won’t tell anyone.

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I didn’t see that. Heh. Guess the DNC is going to hold another contest to pick the newest new campaign slogan. Maybe, one of the other women from Sex and the City can be the celebrity guest.

Yesterday, I was paralized with fear as I kept getting FB postings from my leftist nieces and nephews in Wisco, but today I am dancing.

Fallon on June 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

You crack me the hell up. In Florida..I just say Good Morning. lol

Your Oprah with Kim Kardashians body? lol…I dont watch the Kardashian crap..Not sure if thats a good or bad thing for you…:)
Oprah..well..since I like you-I will give you a pass.

Thanks Ladysmith. I normally don’t share my info but not a big deal and amongst many friends. Dont be speechless, we like when you post. :) Your a character.

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Sorry, but I ain’t buying your usual tripe with respect to the Obama-Romney exit poll data.

Michael Baron has a better analysis HERE.

The money quote;

It has been emblazoned on mainstream media that the exit poll also showed Barack Obama leading Mitt Romney in the state 51%-45%. But if you think the exit poll was 4% too Democratic—and that’s in line with exit poll discrepancies with actual vote results over the last decade, as documented by the exit poll pioneer, the late Warren Mitofsky*—that result looks more like 49%-47% Romney. Or assume the remaining Milwaukee County precincts whittle Republican Governor Scott Walker’s margin over Democratic Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett to 53%-47%, which looks likely, the Obama-Romney numbers would look like 48%-48%.

Marcus Traianus on June 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

That assumes there is a future of the United States.

My fear is that, even if Romney wins and the Republicans take both houses, this runaway debt and its systemic causes, is going to sink the Republic.

Cleombrotus on June 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Awesome to that the skanks, pansies and other liberals in the lefty media are sucking it this morning. I love video of that whinylittle b!tch crying about the end of America. Suck it, lefty. You wouldn’t know America if we slapped you.

Jaibones on June 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Thanky. Having Oprah’s spirit gives me an empathetic, life-embracing outlook. Having Kim K’s body is just happy genetic accident. Speechlessness (or whistling past the graveyard) is a way I, and many people, find to cope with folks whose myriad warm-blooded human sufferings come out on a blog where cold politics is the norm.

Happy Wednesday!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I just finished listening to it and thought the same thing. He is courage and leadership personified.

gophergirl on June 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Absolutely hilarious.

rogerb on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

; ) Mad for a great laugh all around.

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Mad=Made coffee

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

hey now..where you live in Tx with that happy genetic accident? ;)

I know, we are all humans here behind the handles..you never know what people are personally dealing with. I try and keep that in mind when some seem to be having an “off day”.
We prob have more in common then different.
You just get to know people here over time. Blog dynamics, I guess.
The late night crew anyway.
Some I have known here for a few years. Off sets the cold-cut throat in fighting.

Happy Wednesday to you!- I gotta hit the road!
Join us in the cheese hat section. :)

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Morning Mr B!

*smooch*

I am out-
Have fabulous day the Georgia way.

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Goooooooood Morning Hot Air!

My theme for the day.

Flora Duh on June 6, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Schweet, nice way to start the day, if I do say so myself. ; )

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Knock em dead bazil9! Have a successful day!

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Join us in the cheese hat section. :)

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Okey doke. But I won’t wear “cheese boobs”!

;-)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Jaibones on June 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I just heard that on the radio. It was great. But how sad to have a world view that is so twisted.

Night Owl on June 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Okey doke. But I won’t wear “cheese boobs”!

;-)

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Never would I have figured you a party pooper. ; )

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

How pathetic is the knee pads press? This pathetic:

Jaibones on June 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Night Owl on June 6, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Yeah, but you knew he existed already. Sad, but inevitable.

Jaibones on June 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

How pathetic is the knee pads press? This pathetic:

Jaibones on June 6, 2012 at 9:14 AM

It used to bother me quite a bit. Now its just laughable. They have become their own greatest enemy. They will provide they’re own undoing. So I say let em keep talking, of course we can still keep providing them the rope. ; )

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Never would I have figured you a party pooper. ; )

Bmore on June 6, 2012 at 9:13 AM

HAAAAHAHAHAHA!!!

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on June 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM

We prob have more in common then different.
You just get to know people here over time. Blog dynamics, I guess.
The late night crew anyway.

Happy Wednesday to you!- I gotta hit the road!
Join us in the cheese hat section. :)

bazil9 on June 6, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Didn’t catch what your issue was.. Hope only the best for you. The wise words.. to make allowances for your friends since you never know what ailes them, or what they have to deal with..

I know this far better than I wish… You deal and live your life, not much else you can do. You also understand when your friends have an off day.

Best to all here who have medical or family issues… We’re all God’s children, even the most flawed like me.. Do well Bazil.. all the best to you and yours.

mark81150 on June 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

“Kill Scott Walker”: Angry libs flood Twitter with death threats after Wisconsin recall defeat

OmahaConservative on June 6, 2012 at 7:21 AM

The most maddening part..

If some group of conservatives did the same.. MSNBC would lead the evening news with it for a week. The president would personally condenm it and the left would go collectively nutz.. even more than usual.

as it is..

The MSM will ignore it.. even if criminal charges are filed. There were actual death threats by guys saying they would do it personally and target his wife and kids too. Not just the sordid “I hope he dies” types.. These were explicit threats, of the “I will” kind.

If they reside in Wisconsin, and make that kind of threat against their own governor.. there must be some kind of law broken.

mark81150 on June 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Hollywood starlet, Amanda Bynes, arrested for DUI and appeals to the Barack Hussein Kardashian campaign for help.

“I don’t even drink. Please fire the cop who arrested me.”

Obviously, the cop was acting stupidly.

Anna Wintour, Sarah Jessica Parker, Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Sean Penn, and George Clooney all agree.

Resist We Much on June 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM