MJS: Progressive mailer backfiring in recall effort

posted at 10:41 am on June 5, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Late last week, the progressive group Greater Wisconsin Political Fund sent mailers to registered voters in the state demanding that people hold their neighbors accountable for their vote.  Jazz Shaw wrote about it this weekend, linking back to a first-person account from Ann Althouse, who posted the mailer on her blog, and our own Madison Conservative first alerted us to the issue.  Althouse wrote:

This is an effort to shame and pressure people about voting, and it is truly despicable. Your vote is private, you have a right not to vote, and anyone who tries to shame and an harass you about it is violating your privacy, and the assumption that I will become active in shaming and pressuring my neighbors is repugnant.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports today that Althouse isn’t alone in her outrage.  Wisconsin voters are not feeling particularly neighborly toward GWPF after this mailer and the blatant intimidation campaign they’re waging:

Jane Boutan thought it was an invasion of privacy.

Corrine Greuling worried about her safety.

Viola Miller wondered if it could be used to steal her vote.

They and others got upset after the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund mailed fliers over the weekend listing people’s names, addresses and whether they voted in the November 2008 and 2010 elections, as well as the same information for a dozen of their neighbors.

“What am I supposed to do? Go shame my neighbor? Whether my neighbor voted or not is none of my business,” said Boutan, who lives in Milwaukee’s Sherman Park neighborhood.

The newspaper reports that the Government Accountability Board has received a flood of complaints over the mailer, and one voter tells the MJS that the mailer could be used to commit voter fraud:

“Anybody can go and vote with my name, and there’s my vote stolen for somebody I might not have voted for,” said Miller. “It wasn’t even in an envelope. It’s got my name and address on one side of a piece of paper open to everybody.”

In one sense, the mailing itself looks like a demonstration of impotence.  They ask recipients to door-knock for their cause, but that’s something union organizers generally have no problem doing for themselves.  They’re apparently either unwilling or unable to do it for themselves this year.  That tells us something about the strength of the unions in this election.

Another indicator of union strength is the intensity of the Democratic embrace of their agenda in this recall.  Politico reports that it’s at the Barack Obama level:

The bitter battle over union rights in Wisconsin sent masses of angry protesters flooding into the streets, placed the state at the center of a national debate over Big Labor’s power and sparked the historic recall to topple GOP Gov. Scott Walker.

But you’d hardly know it from the campaign to replace him.

On the eve of the June 5 recall election, the issue of collective bargaining has become just a footnote in the hard-fought battle for Wisconsin. Democrats gloss over the issue in campaign speeches, political advertisements and debates in favor of zeroing in on Walker’s tactics. Democrats and labor groups run separate field operations. And the party’s nominee, Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett, wears the fact that he wasn’t labor’s top choice for the ticket as a badge of honor. …

Still, backing away from the contentious issue may hurt him and other Democrats in their final push to get voters to the polls in a race that could hinge on turnout. It’s also opened them to GOP criticism that they are shying away from what they see as a losing issue.

“It’s funny, because this thing was supposed to be about collective bargaining, but I don’t remember the Democrats talking about collective bargaining in this campaign,” Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus told reporters last week on a conference call. He called the issue a “dead dog loser” for the left.

Even Democrats appear to agree with Priebus on that point.  Perhaps the tactics of groups like the GWPF might be one reason why.

Update: I forgot to mention Madison Conservative in that opening paragraph, but I’ve fixed it now.

Update II:  GAB stands for Government Accountability Board, not General.  I’ve fixed it above.

Comments

Enjoying each minute of watching every desperate and despicable move unravel….

hillsoftx on June 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Captain Picard is been getting a lot of faceplam action lately.

Oil Can on June 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Beat the Democrats over the head with this. It’s their pet little lunatic organization that’s doing this, let everyone know who’s doing this and what candidate they support.

So anyone outraged by this can go out and vote Republican.

NoDonkey on June 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

What, no shout out to MadCon?

pain train on June 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Kinda like how Obama is running for reelection and never mentioning his signature legislative achievement. Because Walker’s plan is working and Obama’s is failing. Which leaves the Dems with nothing to campaign on other than hate and misdirection.

Doughboy on June 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

I love seeing the relationship between the Democratic Party and labor self-destruct in battleground states like NC and WI during an election year.

blammm on June 5, 2012 at 10:48 AM

This is the thing that’s floored me in this whole recall kerfuffle.

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Ed Schultz will personally come to your house and beat you up. Can’t wait to watch that thug come completely un-glued tonight.

blowing smoke on June 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

If the rest of WI voters look at the tactics of the unions it tell you a lot about the type of people who would be running their government. Not just theirs, but this is who is in the white house and running the country.
Of course, with all of his fund raisers, who really is running the country? It sure as heck isn’t obama. Could it be that union/communist (slum lord) agitator – Vallery Jarrett? You know the one who “watched van jones” come up through the ranks and wanted to make sure they got him in the white house. She knows very well that he is a communist, but that didn’t stop her.
These people all have to get a quick exit from the white house and the state houses.

Bambi on June 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Spooky.. Whats next? Are they going to go paint Rs on peoples doors and smash out their windows if they vote for Walker? Shades of Kristallnacht for sure.

vinceautmorire on June 5, 2012 at 10:51 AM

This is the thing that’s floored me in this whole recall kerfuffle.

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2012 at 10:49 AM

funny how everything is forgotten when they try to start a war.

upinak on June 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I won’t be surprised if there’s at least some of that, especially if people aren’t required to show ID.

Ward Cleaver on June 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

That’s the cover story. This is basically the velvet glove with the implied threat of the iron fist next time. If you don’t vote the “right” way.

the progressive group Greater Wisconsin Political Fund

Brownshirts.

rbj on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Some times there’s the appearance that the original brew-ha-ha was more of an intrusion of out of state union rabbles that may have raised Walker’s actions to a fever pitch……not so much as the general public saw the changes have become positive for a more responsible state government.

Popcorn will be a must this evening………….

Rovin on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

blowing smoke on June 5, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I want to see him pull a John Belushi, throwing himself out of his chair. Too funny.

Ward Cleaver on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I said to myself that if Walker wins tonight I should watch MSNBC to see Ed Schultz, Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews, etc. going nuts. Then I realized I was being a fool–if Walker wins, I’m betting that none of the MSNBC shows spend a second discussing Wisconsin. It will be move along, nothing to see here.

radjah shelduck on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Anyone here from WI voting today seeing people trying to intimidate those at the voting areas? Union thugs or bp types?
L

letget on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

If Walker is leading in the polls, I wouldn’t be surprised if he won 65/35 today. The union thugs don’t have as many friends as they think.

cajunpatriot on June 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Always remember: these guys were the ones whose great organizational skills were supposed to trump that neophyte, loosely organized thing called the Tea Party.

BWHAAAAAHAHAHA…

Yeah, right.

beatcanvas on June 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

And as usual, California is anti-climactic. :)

Bob's Kid on June 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Many dues paying public union employees have opted not to pay dues or belong, after automatic dues withdrawal from paychecks was no longer allowed. That alone should send a message.

a capella on June 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

This election will be stolen. The cushion Repubs will need is too great to cover for all the bused-in voters and stuffed ballot boxes.

teri_b on June 5, 2012 at 10:59 AM

My moderate/independent neighbor received this letter. He voted for Obama in 2008. He is furious and called this group up. Needless to say, he and his wife are voting for Walker today.

ineedahobby on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

It’s those damned bratwursts!

There is no other explanation for it!

pilamaye on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

a capella on June 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Even though I understand why unions were started, unions should have never been money making machines.

upinak on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

And as usual, California is anti-climactic. :)

Bob’s Kid on June 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Do they still hold elections in Cali?

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Not as extreme, but I was a little taken aback when my child’s 1st grade teacher was asking everyone entering school if they had voted for the parcel tax that day. What if I hadn’t voted, or voted no? I either lie to her, in front of my kids, or risk being shunned in the community. I was really uncomfortable with how intense he get-out-the-vote effort was for that particular ballot.

rose-of-sharon on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

see something, say something…..

/similarities.

ted c on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Ed,

GAB stands for “Government Accountability Board”. Not “General Accountability Board”.

And I wouldn’t be surprised if that mailer backfired. I doubt that *anyone* much likes the implications of that thing.

Vancomycin on June 5, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Plus Miller, who lives in Waukesha, is now worried that since she’s already a registered voter and will not be required to show her ID to vote on Tuesday, someone could use her name and address to vote.

Gee, if only there were some way to verify those voting were actually the individuals on the list…

/s

(I know, I know- voter ID laws “violate people’s rights,” according to Holder. Arrgh.)

cs89 on June 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Captain Picard is been getting a lot of faceplam action lately.

Oil Can on June 5, 2012 at 10:44 AM

By november the poor guy will need an x-ray.

Valkyriepundit on June 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

This is a method to sow distrust and disunity throughout a community. To sow the seeds of fear in what are, quite normally, idyllic Wisconsin communities such as Sparta, Westby, LaCrosse, Onalaska and others. I know Wisconsin, I like Wisconsin, I’ve told my wife that I’d gladly live around the western Wisconsin area. These efforts by this group are despicable.

ted c on June 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Note to the left: This country is still chock full of people who don’t want to, don’t think they should, and have the good sense God gave them to NOT stick their nose in other people’s business. Unlike you folks.

exliberal on June 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

This strikes me as a bit funny because every envelope placed in your mail box will have your name and address on the outside (unless it’s junk mail addressed to “Current Resident”).

I understand that this contains the additional information of whether or not you voted, which is why it’s making people uncomfortable. However, the quote itself made me chuckle.

JadeNYU on June 5, 2012 at 11:03 AM

In one sense, the mailing itself looks like a demonstration of impotence. They ask recipients to door-knock for their cause, but that’s something union organizers generally have no problem doing for themselves. They’re apparently either unwilling or unable to do it for themselves this year. That tells us something about the strength of the unions in this election.

No it doesn’t. If they just wanted to encourage people to knock on their neighbors’ doors (because they were unwilling to do it themselves) they would have just sent a letter reminding people “how important this election is,” asking them to vote and asking them to remind their friends and neighbors to vote without listing the names, addresses and voting history of said neighbors.

This was a deliberate attempt to encourage people to “shame” their neighbors about their voting history, although Viola Miller makes an excellent point about the vote stealing as well.

Dark Star on June 5, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Just saw on Fox Biz that Tom Barrett used the new union negotiation rules signed into law by Walker to save his city $20 million and helped him balance the city budget.

My jaw just dropped when I heard that. Has anyone seen any Walker commercials using this tidbit of info?

Ronaldusmax on June 5, 2012 at 11:06 AM

As ACORN found out, if you organize the voter fraud yourself, you get arrested. But, if you just innocently distribute all the information that an independent fraudulent voter would need to commit fraud, it’s not your fault. “We had no idea…”

RBMN on June 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Do they still hold elections in Cali?

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Of course we do, we just don’t waste time counting the votes, we declare our libtard victors.

antipc on June 5, 2012 at 11:07 AM

the mailer could be used to commit voter fraud

FORWARD Chicago-Style

petefrt on June 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Oh now they are claiming robo-calls by Walker’s campaign.

Nasty Robo Calls in Wisconsin

ROFL this is really getting to be too funny.

Ronaldusmax on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

As much as I want a resolution to this today, You know the Liberals and the Unions will tie this up for months. Today won’t answer anything.

They are already planning to recount, repeal, revote, redo and revolt. As much as they talk about Democracy, they want nothing close to that.

I hope I am very wrong.

GadsdenRattlers on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Sounds like a big pile of Donkey Poop,
jus wait’n to be stepped in/on!!!

I wonder,if there will be Mental HealthCare Workers on
stand by,for this coming Progressive MeltDown Crisis!!
(Sarc).

canopfor on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

The public listing of non voters is a potent voter-fraud weapon when combined with the local court ruling prohibiting implementation of the voter-ID requirement.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I predicted this attack would have exactly the opposite effect the dems and the unions wanted. If anything it will motivate people to polls to express their outrage.

Are Jane, Corrine and Viola going to vote? Will the vote for or against Walker and Company?

dogsoldier on June 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Ah, the old soviet style of informing on your neighbor; cause you know that’s the next step in the ‘lib’ book of how to run people lives.

Little Nell on June 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

are there any faux physicians on hand to pass out painkillers tonight? sick passes for tomorrow?

things the peeps wansta know.

ted c on June 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Since word spread about this, though, voters will act to preserve their vote.

dogsoldier on June 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Well, if Wisconsin votes in Barrett, they’re clearly voting in spite.

It could only be an indication that they’re okay with higher taxes, less employment, and large deficits so long as State workers can have higher salaries and contribute less to their lavish benefit packages.

It seems no one else stands to gain from a Barrett victory.

BKeyser on June 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Speaking of VOTING,have no fear,the DOJ are Watching!!!!

U.S. DOJ to monitor recall election in Milwaukee Tuesday
Monday, June 04, 2012 1:28 p.m. CDT
***********************************

MILWAUKEE (WTAQ) – The U.S. Justice Department says it will monitor Wisconsin’s recall elections Tuesday, to watch for possible violations of the federal Voting Rights Act.

A team of federal attorneys plans to be in Milwaukee – which is required to provide assistance in Spanish to anyone who asks for it.

U.S. Justice Department attorneys plan to maintain contact with local election officials.

The federal government says it will also have monitors at elections Tuesday in California, South Dakota, and New Mexico.

Wisconsin’s attorney general also plans to have monitors in some of the state’s largest cities to watch for possible vote fraud.
===============================================================

canopfor on June 5, 2012 at 10:53 AM

canopfor on June 5, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Oh come on, it’s just the old soviet government kit for being a good comrade. From here on, we can no longer expect anything less from the left which has clearly come out of the soviet closet!
I predict, that spying on and turning in your neighbors and family will soon be called in Orwellian terminology -”the new freedom.”

Don L on June 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Psst! (the password is CRAZY)

50sGuy on June 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Speaking of VOTING,have no fear,the DOJ are Watching!!!!

But who, asked the little boy, is watching the DOJ?

Don L on June 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Oh, isn’t that fortuitous? One has to wonder how those who speak Spanish have made it thus far without such gracious assistance and help.

ted c on June 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM

How can it backfire with a name that does not indicate who it is (“GWPF”), and does not endorse a candidate? This blog assumes it came from the Libtards, but how do you know? If there was nothing on the flyer to indicate, and it offended people, be sure that the Libs will be claiming GWPF is a Koch brothers super PAC.

2ndMAW68 on June 5, 2012 at 11:16 AM

I am upset that they are revealing openly that ‘they’ know whether you voted or not. This implies ‘they’ know who you voted for. Those lists should be kept private.

This is not just a WI issue. Here in Virginia both parties hint they know this information but do not openly admit it because they would get hammered. Elections personel need to have better control over this information.

TfromV on June 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Oh now they are claiming robo-calls by Walker’s campaign.

Nasty Robo Calls in Wisconsin

False flag operation. Planted by Dems/Unions.

Bat Chain Puller on June 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

…the Nazi party did stuff like that..way back when…

KOOLAID2 on June 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I imagine ACORN and ilk will be actively exploiting it. And Holder’s goons will be there to facilitate things.

petefrt on June 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

From the Sentinel story:

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Vote for your taxes to go up so I can buy that retirement home at the beach, dammit! If you don’t, it means that you hate women, minorities and puppies!

mankai on June 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I hope I am very wrong.

GadsdenRattlers on June 5, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I doubt the vote will be close enough to justify a government recount. And I don’t think either the Dems or the unions will be willing to throw more money down that sink hole. The Dems have bigger fish to fry and the unions need to plan for other contigencies.

Deanna on June 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Called people at the Hudson, WI phone bank yesterday. EVERY Republican I talked to was going to vote: “You bet; Wouldn’t miss it; Keep on calling people; we’re there…..” Dems (yes we had some Dem names) were either silent or hung up – not one said “Barrett/” Maybe they’re too embarrassed to admit they’d vote for Barrett. All phones were in use – amazing day.

As for the union meme on some talk shows: Walker did NOT abolish unions, he only stopped the state government from collecting required union dues. In essence, he said, if you want to join a union, do it but pay for it directly.The teachers’ union had to cut staff; teacher’s union is down about 1/3; AFSCME down close to 50%. (Haven’t checked lately). Unions had a role but they’ve become way too thuggish. I’ve heard they’re planning to sue over the results, will want a recount, yada, yada, yada.

Oh, President Obama flew over WI last Friday – couldn’t stop to rally the troops…… hm….. DNC won’t help…

St. Paul (MN) Paper headline: “IT’s Dollars vs. door-knocks” – the meme the Rs have all the money – well it was union money that paid millions to protest Walker earlier this year; but union membership is down – oh, they don’t have as much? The Dems are claiming grassroots organizing – I wonder – based on my phone calls, not so hot.

Interesting the feds are in WI – more control over our voting. Glad the WI AG is stepping up to help, too.

Hugh Hewitt said it best, “If it ain’t close, they can’t cheat.” or words to that effect. Go WI!

MN J on June 5, 2012 at 11:24 AM

That mailer is the goonion way!

cartooner on June 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Isn’t voter intimidation something we can report to the US AG?

What are you laughing at?

MsDollie on June 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

They were enacted by the legislature, but a liberal db of a judge struck them down. Then the state supreme court said they wanted the process of going all the way through all the appeals courts instead of saying that this was a pressing enough issue for them to intervene.

All that is a long way of saying that a liberal DB judge overturned them for now, so no.

Vancomycin on June 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The recriminations will be flying fast and furious tonight. I’m going to have to find out what channel MSNBC is, it’ll be a lot more fun than Fox tonight.

Akzed on June 5, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Jacobins

forest on June 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Speaking of VOTING,have no fear,the DOJ are Watching!!!!

But who, asked the little boy, is watching the DOJ?

Don L on June 5, 2012 at 11:15 AM

..quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

~Juvenal

The War Planner on June 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, like in Florida and Texas and other places…

Eren on June 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Forewarned is forearmed…

Make no mistake, that ‘flyer’ was a beta-test of a political tactic.

A tactic that will only work in the most toxic of fever swamps… usually on the coasts, and the more notorious ‘university zones’ scattered throughout ‘Fly-over Country’.

A tactic, as shown above, by anecdotal comments, to be as repulsive as it looks… to decent, sane, freedom-loving Americans.

This is little different than the stories my father’s East German kin would tell me. Example: lesser party functionaries walking the gray apartment blocks (daily) to see who had properly displayed the banner of the state (or the ‘party’ flag) out of their windows (yes, there a place… built into the windowsill, for that sort of thing…), and who had not.

I see it for what is truly is, but then again I have a perspective that few (thankfully) can draw upon… be warned, this is only the beginning if ordinary people don’t wake up and see what lurking in the shadow, that many refuse to look at, squarely in the eyes.

Don’t pass it it off as ‘oafish desperation’. It isn’t.

See it for what it truly is.

Consider it a warning.

Five more months… remember that.

CPT. Charles on June 5, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Vancomycin on June 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Thanks. Is the Supreme Court packed with lefties? And the Appeals Court? Of course if the court hadn’t struck it down Holder would have sued the state.

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

This is exactly why Voter ID requirements must be mandatory! Anyone can take a voters name who hasn’t voted in years and vote for him/her without their knowledge. Our corrupt DOJ is just plain wrong to stop States from their lawful duties. Bless you Gov. Walker!!

karlinsync on June 5, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Jacobins

forest on June 5, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Pernicious pricks.

nico on June 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

things the peeps wansta know.

ted c on June 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Sick passes will be for all the union goons bussed in from Illinois and Minnesota, ayy?

slickwillie2001 on June 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Do they still hold elections in Cali?

Bitter Clinger on June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Yes, they do. Of course if you don’t vote the right way, they send in da Gheys or SEUI to go after your family, either at work or at school or at home. It is the new freedom, comrade. Of course, even if you win, they will just disenfranchise your vote through the Courts. Best to be a good little Citizen and do as you are expected to do. For instruction on who to vote for, see the local DNC website. Money given to the DNC will be hidden through “anonymous” cash cards, but money given to the opposition will be noted, tracked, and incorrect donations to the wrong party will be corrected.

Have a nice day.

Bulletchaser on June 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Vancomycin on June 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Last I read they go into effect after this election cycle.

dogsoldier on June 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I don’t support liberals and don’t support GWPF or its policy goals.

However, I think society lost a huge weapon in its arsenal when it gave up the idea of shame. Shame used to keep people from acting irresponsibly (not taking care of children, fathering many children out of wedlock with different mothers); from acting slutty (girls gone wild videos), from being thugs (or at least, kept our kids form idolizing thugs), among many other things. It even helped keep people off of entitlement programs or at least made them strive to get off such programs if they found themselves in need. there was shame attached to living off the gov’t's teat.

Now, with the idea of shame completely erased and the idea that nobody has any right to even judge their neighbor’s conduct, we have things like Jersey Shore idiots becoming millionaires and people generally behaving dishonestly and/or irresponsibly with no consequences. And, of course, we have entire generations of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to simply live their entire lives on welfare, with no thought or desire to strive for more.

Monkeytoe on June 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

B

y november the poor guy will need an x-ray.

Valkyriepundit on June 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

He will also need surgery to unfuse his hands from his face.

chemman on June 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

=======================================================

Interesting,reminds me of Hopey in 08′,and now its escalated from
Git in your face,to some bizarre,East Germany Snitching Operation
on your neighbours…..good gawd!!!!

Obama Says “Argue With Neighbors, Get In Their Face”
sept 2008
*********

Barack Obama tells a crowd of supporters – I need you to go out and talk to your friends and talk to your neighbors. I want you to talk to them whether they are independent or whether they are Republican. I want you to argue with them and get in their face!
================================================================

canopfor on June 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Obama does much the same.

pat on June 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Don L on June 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

One of my neighbors doesn’t need any help. She’s a big enough busybody as it is.

PatriotGal2257 on June 5, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

They had them until recently and a judge put them on hold.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Sadly, the Democratic Party’s and Union’s answer to both of these questions is “YES!” Think back to the recent efforts to abolish the secret ballot in unionization elections. Look at what the NLRB has done to expand employee rights while punishing employers for engaging in the exact same activity. Look at the private information they want to compel employers to give to union organizers.

Any power or threat of coercion that results in “Change” (as they define it) is acceptable – shame, intimidation, silencing the oppposition, no tool is beyond use.

Should we have seen this coming? Absolutely!

Think back to some of the statements made by BHO’s surrogates – McCaskill, for example – during the 2008 campaign when they threated investigations and arrest of common citizens who dared to express disagreement with their verson of “Hope and Change.”

The Democratic Party left me long ago when they crossed the line from “What’s best for the Country” to “What’s best to keep us (the elected Elite) in power with access to tax dollars.”

EdmundBurke247 on June 5, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

They had them until recently and a judge put them on hold.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

That’s standard ops in proggie land. We pass voter ID laws and think it’s a done deal. They wait quietly until three weeks before the election, go to a friendly judge, sue, and demand a court order to stop voter ID until the conclusion of the hearing. They get it, and the hearing is set for a month after the election.

We have to learn to pass voter ID laws, and then challenge them ourselves in court to establish the precedents.

slickwillie2001 on June 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Are there no voter I.D. laws in Wisconsin?

Buy Danish on June 5, 2012 at 11:20 AM

They had them until recently and a judge put them on hold.

Schadenfreude on June 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Yes, and just in time for this recall election. Funny how that works, huh?!

I swear, I still don’t know how liberals sleep at night. Do they even HAVE a conscience?

Sterling Holobyte on June 5, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Viola Miller wondered if it could be used to steal her vote.

This is what worries me.
And if the liberal groups have these lists(and paid for them no less), we have to ask WHY do they have these lists? Simply for a campaign flyer?
Or is it partly so they can know who doesn’t tend to vote, so they can vote FOR them?
I actually wouldn’t put this past them. They have shown they will sink to the bottom of the deepest pits of hell to get what they want. And if they can use these lists for multiple purposes; like as a subtle attempt to intimidate voters – “we know who you vote for AND where you live, so you’d better make the RIGHT choice” type of thing. You know, kind of like the Black Panthers “helping” at the polling places -; and as a list to make up any shortfall of votes for their guy; and wrap it up in just a “routine” campaign flyer, they will.

I hope the Walker administration and republicans have people on the lookout for this, and plans to investigate this kind of thing. And that they do not take anything the dems do, lightly.

Sterling Holobyte on June 5, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the Democrats and unions the ones who were bitching and whining about G.W. Bush destroying our freedoms and privacy?

I wonder if these idiots feel any shame for flip-flopping constantly from one election to the next?

Kingfisher on June 5, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Ward Cleaver on June 5, 2012 at 10:52 AM

It’s almost like a little voter fraud kit. “Here’s a list of names and addresses for people who didn’t vote last time. So they probably won’t vote this time, either. So, if you want to vote for them, who would ever know……”

tom on June 5, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Wow that’s completely inept.

MarkT on June 5, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Let this be another news flash for Rapist in Chief Bill Clinton — think this insane stunt bears any resemblance to communism?

Hmmm?