Terrific: Blogger’s favorite team now co-owned by Bill Maher

posted at 9:19 pm on June 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

All we need now is for Olbermann to buy the Jets and I can give up sports forever.

I know what you’re thinking. If Rush Limbaugh’s too controversial to own a piece of the Rams, how come Maher’s not too controversial to own a piece of the Mets? Two words, my friends: Buyer’s market.

Political comedian Bill Maher disclosed that he bought a minority stake in the New York Mets when the majority owners were selling portions of the franchise earlier this year to cover debt

Mets owners Fred Wilpon and Saul Katz in March sold 12 minority stakes in the team for $240 million and used the sales to repay $65 million in loans from Major League Baseball and Bank of America Corp. (BAC) and at least $100 million of debt.

Wilpon and Katz in March also agreed to pay $162 million to settle a $1 billion lawsuit from Irving Picard, the trustee responsible for liquidating Bernard Madoff’s defunct firm, over whether the Mets’ owners and others blinded themselves to Madoff’s Ponzi scheme because it benefited their businesses financially.

I confess, if we lived in a world where I had $20 million to play with, I’d buy a piece of a team too. Why not? It’s the ultimate fan fantasy short of becoming a player yourself. Instead we live in a world where Bill Maher has $20 million to play with. Note to HBO: If being tendentious and unfunny is what you want, I can do it for a lot less than 20 large. Take the Hot Air audience’s word for it.

The good news is that I’ve become a Pirates fan too this year, so if Maher starts turning up in the booth during games to the point where I can simply take no more, I’ll go ahead and fully transition to the black and gold. That’s the hallmark of a true beta male, my friends — migrating from a team that hasn’t won the World Series in more than 20 years to a team that hasn’t cracked .500 in 20 years. Things are looking up, though. 2020 or bust!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Two words, my friends: Buyer’s market.

Sorry, I don’t buy it. Believe me, the NFL never turns away anybody with cash, either.

Different set of rules for the left. It stinks.

Dreadnought on June 5, 2012 at 12:47 AM

CyberCipher on June 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Have you read “Shipwrecked” yet? It’s the history of the Mariner’s front office and their 35 years of blunders, cheapness, and incompetence. It explains an awful lot. If management had kept the players they traded away, didn’t draft, and didn’t resign when they should have, they would have had a dynasty.

Mallard T. Drake on June 5, 2012 at 12:48 AM

On a serious note, I wonder if the commissioner can drop the hammer on a minority owner if the minority owner’s conduct is considered detrimental to the sport?

joejm65 on June 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Ordinarily, yes, but again, different rules for the left.

Dreadnought on June 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

AP obsessing yet again over Maher and the left. The Mets ?…LOL..please.

DevilsPrinciple on June 5, 2012 at 4:02 AM

AP’s favorite yet, shop worn phrase~”terrific”. Tedious.

DevilsPrinciple on June 5, 2012 at 4:03 AM

What’s baseball?

Is that the 4-hour period on TV where ‘athletes’ stand around while I try to slit my wrist?

John Kettlewell on June 5, 2012 at 5:02 AM

I guess since you’re a Jets fan, you know what it’s like to try to slit your wrists.

John Kettlewell on June 5, 2012 at 5:04 AM

Let’s just not keep raising our sales taxes to keep buying new buildings for the likes of Bill Maher, eh?

MNHawk on June 5, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Some of the things in life that continue to amaze me:

Childbirth and the presence of life

The Anthropic Principle

The strong and weak nuclear force

And people who talk about baseball as if it’s really important.

Cleombrotus on June 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM

It just shows Maher doesn’t have any real impact, Rush does…Maher means nothing…the joke is on him, a nobody that nobody cares about, except as a clown.
Rush on the other hand, obviously huge influence.

Mahers distractors laugh at him, Rush’s fear him.

right2bright on June 5, 2012 at 6:53 AM

Rush should sue.

FlaMurph on June 5, 2012 at 7:22 AM

M and M: LOSERS!!

Sherman1864 on June 5, 2012 at 7:49 AM

The Treatment of Rush bothered Me

However, I think Rushbo is a little more infamous than Mr. Bill with his stupid gig on HBO.

If you owned an NFL team, you would be sensitive to the wishes of blacks and recently graduated white players, most of whom are liberal.

While talking about a similar issue, I told a black athlete if he made me the billions made for NFL owners, I’d kiss his bottom all day long.

The Pittsburgh Pirates?

They keep the Pirates starved for money since they don’t want a menace like the Steelers in major league baseball.

IlikedAUH2O on June 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Aaaand down the drain goes 30+ years of support for that team.

Until this misogynist America hating, vulgar ass Maher is gone, the Mets can kiss me goodbye as a fan.

Maybe they can get some of his fans to pay the already outrageous prices for a ticket or to watch games on TV.

Marcus Traianus on June 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Could someone tell me who the heck would pay a dime to watch Bill Maher. He is no comedian, just a bitter, aging middle age narcissist.

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I used to be ho hum on the Mets, now they’ve gone to the bottom of the barrel. Go Nats! Or anyone else in the NL East.

Maher==Hate.

kirkill on June 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

barf

F U Maher

ornery_independent on June 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM

SC.Charlie on June 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

I do not know any friend or family member who watches him. He’s a comedian allright – but the laughs you get from him are all hollow.

I used to read his jokes b/c they were spot-on…but they were so caustic that I started becoming as bitter as he was. There are better ways to get the hard truth than listen to that old grinch.

MelonCollie on June 5, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Some of the things in life that continue to amaze me:

And people who talk about baseball as if it’s really important.

Cleombrotus on June 5, 2012 at 6:46 AM

“Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball.” -Jacques Barzun

The_Jacobite on June 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Drop the Mets and become a fan of the Rangers!

jeffn21 on June 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

As a Met fan myself I’ve endured a lot of disappointments,but none larger than Bill Maher suddenly appearing on my Mets news feeds as a partner. I was a Met fan as a boy in the days of Seaver, Matlack and Koosman, and I will be buried as a Mets fan regardless of a sleazeball like Maher or the Wilponzis.

TonyR on June 5, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I stopped watching HBO when Maher’s first show was aired. How much you paying him? 2much… HBO who watches his show?

HHW on June 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I stopped watching HBO when Maher’s first show was aired.

You count. Way to go. Really.

Capitalist Hog on June 5, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Like I need another reason to hate a NY team. Must admit, adding that rat faced odd ball renews my enthusiasm to pull for any team vs Mets.

StevC on June 5, 2012 at 6:06 PM

It could be worse. The Astros are moving to the American League next year. I still don’t understand that. If the Commish wanted a team to move to the American League, why not his Milwaukee Brewers, who were originally the Seattle Mariners of the American League (OK for only one year), but the Astros, nee 45′s, have always been a National League team (50 years). Now they have to play imitation baseball. Guess I’ll have to move my loyalties back to the Cubs.

georgeofthedesert on June 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM