Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on June 4, 2012 by Allahpundit

What do New Yorkers say? “Fuhgetaboutit.”…

An exclusive NY1-Marist College poll finds most New Yorkers are opposed to the mayor’s plan, as 53 percent say it is a a bad idea and only 42 percent say it is a good one.

Most New Yorkers, 52 percent, say they are not convinced it will work. Only 45 percent say they think a ban on large sodas and other sugary drinks will help people lose weight.

***

Bold actions to protect the public’s health always stir controversy at first. Smoke-free bars and restaurants, trans fat restriction and calorie posting in restaurants were all met with skepticism, but are now widely popular in New York City. They are also saving many lives each year, and life expectancy in New York City is outpacing that of the United States…

[S]tudies show that people given larger portions simply consume more without noticing it or reducing calorie consumption at subsequent meals. And portion sizes of sugary drinks have ballooned drastically over the last 50 years, from 12 ounces to 32 ounces for a large beverage at a typical fast-food restaurant, not as a result of consumer demand but because of corporate decisions…

Under our proposal, people could still choose to drink as much soda as they want. If 16 ounces (promoted as enough for three people in the 1950s!) is not enough, people could purchase two portions. Is that too much an inconvenience to reverse a national health catastrophe?

***

Under the spirit of the proposed Bloomberg ban, a super-strength beer would be considered less of public nuisance than the sports drink or the soda. At present, there is no suggestion that the ban will apply at all to alcoholic beverages.

While the language of the ban has yet to be formalized, other things that are not alcoholic but are also expected to be passed over include the 870-calorie, 22-ounce chocolate McCafe milkshakes at McDonald’s and the 670-calorie, 24-ounce Venti Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino Blended Crème at Starbucks.

***

[P]ublic health advocates contend that letting everyone make their own choices has led the country to $192 billion per year in medical bills for obesity-related care. That’s a tab everyone ends up paying part of via Medicare, Medicaid and soaring rates for private health insurance.

There is nobody on the face of the planet who needs a soda, let alone a 32-ounce soda,” said Robert Lustig, a pediatric obesity researcher at the University of California at San Francisco who is a vocal proponent of restrictions on sugary drinks…

“If New York City’s initiative succeeds, it really opens up a new front,” said Michael Jacobson, executive director at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, an advocacy group. “I’m sure it will encourage other cities and states to seek similar measures to reduce portion sizes.”

***

When I was a kid, Coca-Cola came in 6-ounce glass bottles, and that seemed like plenty. It wasn’t all that long ago that a 12-ounce soda was considered perfectly sufficient—even large. But walk into any pizzeria or deli these days and you’ll have a very hard time even finding 12-ounce cans of anything. 20-ounce plastic bottles are now considered the standard single-serving size. The same thing has happened with hot drinks. Remember the Starbucks 8-ounce “short” cup of coffee? That’s not on the menu anymore. If you walk in and ask for a small, you get a 12-ounce “tall.” Small is tall.

The reason for all this supersizing is basic economics. When you go to a McDonalds or Wendy’s, the cost of serving you is pretty much fixed because what they have to spend on the food is almost negligible compared to what they pay for their workers and floor space. However, if they can get you to pay, say, 25 cents more for 5 cents worth of soda, the franchise owner earns a tidy profit and you walk out the door thinking you’ve gotten an absolutely fantastic deal by paying only a few extra pennies for a drink that’s as big as your head…

The ban on large drinks, on the other hand, could reset our notion of what a normal beverage serving looks like, and that could make all the difference.

***

I believe America is in a crisis now, not only of corporate or governmental social responsibility, but of personal social responsibility; we’re uncertain of whether Wall Street or Uncle Sam has our best interest at heart, but just the same we should be looking at our neighbor. Our problem is not simply a matter of sugar, fat and salt; it is a matter of choice, behavior and education. We live in a country where we make sure our children are mathematically educated enough to figure out that two 16-ounce sodas will get them their Big Gulp fix, but where roughly 96 percent of them are not required to have daily physical education classes in school. What exactly are we teaching them about behavior and choice?…

Type 2 diabetes, in which insidious sugar sources like soda play a big role, costs this country in excess of $174 billion each year. Most Type 2 diabetics know that their lifestyles are unhealthy but do not take adequate action to prevent or reverse the disease. And who pays for it? How would we react to a corporation that did the very same? (Note: This is NOT an attack on diabetics; I am merely illustrating a point.)

And my point is simply this: Drinking soda, or better stated, our right to drink soda, is actually good for us. Isn’t that what makes America great? We’re the land of free choice. However, when government takes an arbitrary legislative potshot at the symptom, not the cause, of a problem, how much better off are we? Do we want to be hobbled by government making lifestyle choices for us, or empowered by government teaching and supporting better choices? I for one would much rather see legislation making daily physical education and nutrition classes mandatory for our students, ingraining better lifestyles and choices. And I’d love to see the Big Gulp yanked — not due to legislation, but due rather to poor sales from a healthy, educated consumer.

***

Sugary drinks now provide 7% of the calories in the American diet, the largest single national source of calories. Teen boys average more than a quart of sugary soda per day. Even adults who say they are trying to lose weight still drink more two 12-ounces cans per day, on average…

Some object that the mayor’s proposal to restrict serving sizes will restrict liberty. But the liberty restricted is not the liberty of the soda-drinker. If they wish, soda drinkers can buy a 2-liter bottle of soda at the grocery for about $1.70 and pour as much of it down their throats as they wish. The liberty that is being restricted is the liberty of the soda seller to manipulate known human weaknesses to the seller’s advantage and the buyer’s detriment.

Human beings are not reasoning machines. We are animals who have inherited certain propensities not always well-adapted to modern urban life. We evolved in conditions of food scarcity. Our bodies have adapted to store food energy against famine; our subrational minds crave sweetness. The sugary beverage industry has invested massively to understand better how to use our very human natures against us.

***

Are we not capable stewards of our own welfare? In general, yes, but the government has taxed cigarettes to high heaven, as a means (successful) of steering us away from them, and made it illegal to partake of many recreational drugs. Like those substances, heavily sugared soft drinks are wholly unnecessary and are implicated in health problems that wind up affecting all of us, not just the individual suffering from them. Food ceased to be a frontier too far when the fraction of American adults who qualify as obese climbed above one in three.

We’re fat, folks. Seriously, dangerously fat. And you don’t need statistics to tell you that; you just need to look around. All three people ahead of me in line in a food shop in Des Moines last month qualified as morbidly obese; they had 900 pounds — easy — among them. One of every two people in line with me at a Coney Island concession stand last weekend were carrying at least 25 extra pounds. When this many people are this overweight, you have not only an epidemic. You have a new normal, a context in which each obese person is less likely to recognize and appreciate the magnitude of his or her health problem because it’s entirely unexceptional…

Is Bloomberg putting us on a slippery slope? Maybe. But we have a long way to slide before there’s a cause for alarm commensurate with the urgency of the problem he’s trying to whittle away at. And the government routinely meddles in the markets and our lives when private behavior has severe public consequences. We reached that larded intersection scores of Big Gulps and dozens of pounds ago.

***

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 65% of American Adults oppose a law that would ban the sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 ounces. Just 24% favor a law like the one Mayor Michael Bloomberg has proposed as a way to fight obesity. Eleven percent (11%) are undecided about it.

***

***

Via the Corner.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

The funeral for mom is Wed…Have been trying to take my mind off it all day…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I am so sorry for your loss.

JPeterman on June 4, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Why in the hell can’t these liberals mind their own business? Why can’t they just leave us the hell alone? Who, in the name of all that’s holy, does this wimp think he is. Obese? The biggest reason is the lack of activities in school like dodge ball, etc. Something else they stick their wimpy sniveling noses in.

Can’t pray, can’t show a cross, can’t eat a lunch that your mother made for you, can’t do anything that the pansy asses say is bad for us.

Please! please! mind your own business.

jainphx on June 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

What on earth is that and where the heII did you get it?

Bmore on June 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

I have to step away, Little 7% calls…

… If I don’t make it back tonight, tomorrow is the big day!

Goodnight all…!

Seven Percent Solution on June 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I am truly sorry that you losted your mom..The world will be a lesser place without her..God Bless her and your family..

Dire Straits on June 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

In honor of your B-day, best wishes from Wisconsin.

Happy Happy:)

MontanaMmmm on June 4, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Wow. That was … mesmerizing. Was she doing the Dougie? Anyway, thank you! :)

cynccook on June 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

Good Night 7%, Sleep Well. See you tomorrow. ; )

Bmore on June 4, 2012 at 11:59 PM

4:08 of the best democrat argument I’ve ever heard.

jaime on June 4, 2012 at 11:58 PM

LMAO!

tom daschle concerned on June 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

The funeral for mom is Wed…Have been trying to take my mind off it all day…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

…sorry loving…for your loss. Stay strong with the memories!

KOOLAID2 on June 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM

I’ll see your quotes, AllahPundit, and raise you another, this one written by Zombie over two years ago during the height of the ObamaCare debate:

Under normal circumstances I would sigh in mystification and let other people go their merry way, killing themselves with bad food. Yet once I start to ponder the overwhelming society-wide medical costs of keeping millions of unhealthy people alive for decades and decades, my anger grows. I want to ban advertisements for unhealthy foods on TV. I want to outlaw donuts. I want to tax McDonald’s to cover the full environmental cost of their products. I want to do all sorts of quasi-fascistic things that normally I would never advocate.

Because that’s what socialized medicine does: it turns each of us into a little fascist. A nagging nanny who tells other people what to do and how to live.

How right she was. It has begun.

Caiwyn on June 5, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Waiting For A Girl Like You

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

The funeral for mom is Wed…Have been trying to take my mind off it all day…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Sorry to hear this about you Mom. I’ll be sending good vibes your way. Big hugs of support. May she rest in peace.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

you=your.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:02 AM

This might be a better link for Waiting For A Girl Like You. The other one works, it just cuts off in the middle. This should be the entire song.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:06 AM

Up Where We Belong

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Thanks guys…you lift me up…

lovingmyUSA on June 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Goodnight all! :-D

cynccook on June 5, 2012 at 12:12 AM

‘Nite, cynccook

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Good Night Cyndy, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Brian Vastag and N.C. Aizenman

Folks if you don’t get why I’m for small government by now, you never will, even the trolls aren’t buying this horsecrap.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

If You Don’t Know Me By Now

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Brian Vastag and N.C. Aizenman

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:21 AM

??

What’s the reference? I skimmed the quotes at the top…

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

What’s the reference? I skimmed the quotes at the top…

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Just more leftist tactics.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Take On Me

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Just more leftist tactics.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:31 AM

OK. But I don’t know what you are referring to.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I have to skip away for a few minutes. Be back.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

SHANNON BROWNLEE

More leftist rationalizing. Yeah well when my Grandmother drank Coca-Cola, guess what it had in it? Come to think of it Grandmother was never overweight. Funny! I never equated the two. I wish she were living so I could ask her how she feels about all this management over her personal affairs. Pretty soon management of personal affairs will all be handled at central planning.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

We will all be sent to reeducation camps!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Allah, my apologies, I won’t be making it though all this reading. I think I get it though. We don’t know best. They do. Who? They! Here is a short list of tunes that I shouldn’t play. They don’t like them, so they are banned. Its why I gave up troll hunting. /
Good Night All.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

We will all be sent to reeducation camps!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Not me. ; ) I didn’t pick a QOTD song. I thought everyone had left. Give me just a second. : )

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Dire Straits QOTD song from the banned songs list.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Good Night Dire, See ya Tomorrow?

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Awww…

OT: If you could pray/think happy thoughts for lovingmyusa…I’m sure she’d appreciate it.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 4, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Thanks Twerp, and thanks Laura…I almost missed this! The funeral for mom is Wed…Have been trying to take my mind off it all day…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

My condolences, and God bless you, lovingmyusa.

Thank you ‘Twerp for the “heads-up”.

listens2glenn on June 5, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Good one!!..Spin this one!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 12:50 AM

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Later!!..Enjoyed it as always!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 12:51 AM

The funeral for mom is Wed…Have been trying to take my mind off it all day…

lovingmyUSA on June 4, 2012 at 11:51 PM

So sorry for your loss, loving. Have always considered you a friend here and, as you know, you have many friends here, all of whom will be with you in spirit during this tough time. God Bless.

TXUS

TXUS on June 5, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Monday, closing time

tom daschle concerned on June 5, 2012 at 12:59 AM

What…?

Seven Percent Solution on June 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

What on earth is that and where the heII did you get it?

Bmore on June 4, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Wow, I hadn’t previously been familiar with him, either.

I’m torn because the first thought I have will sound like smart-assed derogatory remark.

The man obviously had genuine musical talent and personality, was very good at it, and left a number of fans mourning for him.
He was a better man than myself.

But upon watching the video, so help me, the first thought I had was:

“This looks like a cross between Monty Python and Lawrence Welk.”

God bless him for being a blessing to a lot of appreciative fans.

listens2glenn on June 5, 2012 at 1:06 AM

What. . . ?

Seven Percent Solution on June 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM

It would help others if I included the LINK.

listens2glenn on June 5, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:36 AM

OK, I getcha. You’re referring to authors of the articles linked above. Got it. Sorry for my thickness. I wasn’t following the thread, I was surfing youtube for songs. Then I had to be away for a while.

Anyway, you’re right. That’s what it’s all about.

Conservatives are about freedom.

Liberals are about control. Creating a perfect world. Perfect according to them. And liberals can’t create a perfect world until they tear this one down and start over. Hence the attacks on marriage, religion, responsibility, education, free markets, the law (through the courts), etc. Government will be Parent, God, Nanny, Teacher, and Employer. You will be cog 743 in machine 86-221-MWPZ.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 5, 2012 at 12:42 AM

‘Nite, Bmore. Sleep well.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Get a big bottle of Jose Cuervo..The wild times wil be back!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 4, 2012 at 11:26 PM

lol, If you are married, you have the drinks and dinner,look at honey and figure there’s always tomorrow or the next day. Not like they are going anywhere soon.

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Which quote doesn’t belong?

A) “A house divided against itself cannot stand.”

B) “All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.”

C) “Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!”

D) “We’re simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.”

This clown is on the Today show with this? Get off the phone ya’ big dope!!

stout77 on June 5, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I am so sick of statists who keep telling me that giving up “this little dollop” or “that small, insignificant slice” of freedom “for my own good” will be way better for me than allowing me to be a free rational human being making my own choices.

My answer to them, right now, is “get stuffed!” I’ve had it with petty tyrants who keep slicing and taking away the freedoms we have left. Yeah, this is a petty thing, but it’s just one more petty thing and politicians messing in affairs they have no business messing in.

/and they say social conservatives are bad?

AZfederalist on June 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM

‘Nite all.

listens2glenn on June 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

listens2glenn on June 5, 2012 at 1:33 AM

‘nite

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:34 AM

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 1:25 AM

LoLz..I’m not sure they did it this way!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM

AZfederalist on June 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM

How many times have you heard “it’s just a few pennies, dollars more a month”? Speaking for myself, my piggy bank has been run out.

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 1:37 AM

My Name Is Boxxy

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:41 AM

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 1:36 AM

The right panel on that link had a couple of David Allen Coe songs. About five years ago he was at the Crystal Palace here in Bakersfield and I couldn’t WAIT to see him perform.

Most worthless POS ever. If he sang three complete songs I would be surprised. Between his silly ass ramblings and the two drunks in front of us talking fuk talk till they got 86′d, lets just say I have had more pleasant evenings. We had awesome seats less than forty feet away. Too bad.

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

FOAR EVERYWUN FRUM BOXXY

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Sounds like a bummer..We have all had them..Alcohol is usually behind it!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Nice job tonight being the DJ!!..Very nice job..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM

FOAR EVERYWUN FRUM BOXXY

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Am I mean for hoping that if she was at a pool party and went missing no one would check?

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Nice job tonight being the DJ!!..Very nice job..:)

Dire Straits on June 5, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Thanks, Dire. I’ve just been crawling around youtube tonight.

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 2:08 AM

But what about the costs to the nation as a whole (I see in various comemnts at the links, and elsewhere), and even the Zombie quote above.

Can I kill this now. Let me kill it… with peer-reviewed scientific studies and statistical analysis.

Because of differences in life expectancy, however, lifetime health expenditure was highest among healthy-living people and lowest for smokers. Obese individuals held an intermediate position.

Although effective obesity prevention leads to a decrease in costs of obesity-related diseases, this decrease is offset by cost increases due to diseases unrelated to obesity in life-years gained. Obesity prevention may be an important and cost-effective way of improving public health, but it is not a cure for increasing health expenditures.

A new research paper suggests that preventing obesity might result in increased public spending on medical care

And, to be fair, one that shows increased costs…

The highest increased cost (in Chart #2 at the link); $29,460 for an Obese II/III white woman. That is lifetime cost.

At the current average Social Security payment of $1,230 you’d have to claim that Obesity won’t cut a minimum 2 years off their lifespan (on average) to avoid breaking even.

Obese II/III is morbidly obese… which reduces your lifespan 5.8 years for this woman; resulting in a net savings around $56,000.

So, saves healthcare money alone, saves healthcare moeny alone, and loses a little healthcare moeny that is made up by saved Social Security money.

If you truly care about costs, subsidize Marlboros and Twinkies; or at least quit trying to make everyone healthier.

The more you know, the less you don’t know.

Everyone dies.
Dying is usually expensive.
Living longer is more time on the retirement dole taking money out of the system.
Dying sooner is cheaper.

Now admittedly dying sooner isn’t better from a personal perspective; but every fat smoker is paying for SCHIP, AND they’re contributing to Social Security and Medicare while making sure they receive less.

Thank the next one you see for health care provided to poor children… or at least don’t attack him for saving taxpayer money.

gekkobear on June 5, 2012 at 2:11 AM

It’s the PlayStations and other small computing devices not the 32oz coke that is causing the problem. It would be interesting to see how many years separate the introduction of pong and when people started getting noticeably fatter.

multiuseless on June 5, 2012 at 2:13 AM

arnold ziffel on June 5, 2012 at 2:03 AM

No, not mean.

I think she’s cute in a really annoying way. She seems good natured. Kids are just naturally annoying, but they have a quality about them that keeps you from wanting to kill them like you would an adult if they behaved the same way. It must be some instinctual survival thing or something.

Anyway, can you imagine if you were at work and one of your colleagues behaved like that?

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 2:14 AM

gotta go.

‘nite all

jaime on June 5, 2012 at 2:34 AM

This is exactly why our ruling class was never supposed to exist, why should we tolerate demi-gods running our lives, trampling our liberty to save us from ourselves.

This kind of meddling would infuriate those who came before and its every reason to be infuriated now.

Vote the nanny’s out.

Speakup on June 5, 2012 at 2:56 AM

I’ve been advocating for yrs the addition of “real coke” back to Coke. We’d all be thin, and think of the increased productivity at work! Win-win.

Except for some random heart replacements, YMMV.

No plan is 100% perfect.

di butler on June 5, 2012 at 3:30 AM

I saw a draft of Walker’s victory speech. Here’s my favorite line:

Today is the day when the public employees unions begin to recede and our financial outlook begins to heal itself.

MJBrutus on June 5, 2012 at 5:34 AM

At some point in our history we decided that the function of a politician was to take care of us. All the usurpation of power and infringement on liberty that followed was a foreseeable extension of that. If we can change that mindset we may stand a chance of recovering the America that was founded. If we don’t change that mindset, everything else is academic and we continue to play follow the leader into the abyss.

Extrafishy on June 5, 2012 at 5:39 AM

AZfederalist on June 5, 2012 at 1:32 AM

But its for the children!

MJBrutus on June 5, 2012 at 5:40 AM

lovingmyUSA on June 5, 2012 at 12:10 AM

So sorry for your loss. Prayers ascending…

OmahaConservative on June 5, 2012 at 5:51 AM

CyberCipher’s collie sez:

“Get out and vote, you filthy Wisconsonian Rethuglicans!”

Lanceman on June 5, 2012 at 6:20 AM

ot: joe’s away so mika will play….

the war on women continues with the paycheck fairness act..the other laws in the books just don’t cut it apparently to her and the crew…

mitt won’t respond so he’s against equal pay for the women..that will be the meme of the day….

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM

forget about the elections, it’s all about inequality this am on morning joe…

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 6:48 AM

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 6:48 AM

You have to be sure to report tomorrow, to let us know if they ignore the recall election altogether or just downplay its meaning.

Night Owl on June 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM

Night Owl on June 5, 2012 at 6:54 AM

will do, Marcus and NC will be along for the ride

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 6:56 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

And why is that? Because the nanny liberals moaned and groaned about outside recess being “too dangerous” to their little darlings due to a very small percentage of them falling down and scraping their knees or ending up with a sprained wrist.

Yes, it is much more healthy and conducive to their safety to have them sitting inside playing on a computer or reading literary classics like “Diaries of a Wimpy Kid.”

Micheal Moore, Rosie O’Donnell and Roseanne Barr by any chance?

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:10 AM

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 6:40 AM

hmmm, has Mika and crew mentioned this?

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D., Calif.) refused to answer questions about Senate Democrats paying their female staff members less than male staffers on Thursday. She may have ducked the question because a Washington Free Beacon analysis shows she pays the women on her staff $26,606 less per year on average. Source

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:15 AM

crickets….it’s funny, they hail dear leader for passing the lily ledbetter act in 09 so why isn’t that enough?

steele trying to make the point, this is coming up in June of an election…he’s not succeeding when he’s the only gop on the panel…

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 7:20 AM

Dear Wisconsinites,

I realize Republicans have placed a lot of responsibility on your shoulders today, but we’re counting on you to show the country, nay, the world, what a free republic looks like.

We’re confident you’re up to the task by voting to keep your very effective and capable Governor and Lt. Governor, Scott Walker and Rebecca Kleefisch.

The thoughts and prayers of an anxious country are with you.

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Morning. I turned off Moaning Joe. Did you notice with Halperin and Heileman- they both say Walker will clearly win BUT being MSNBC were told to add it was so important to go vote against him.

Marcus on June 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:26 AM

amen FD

Marcus on June 5, 2012 at 7:30 AM

yup, towing the line

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

MSNBC does not want that 6 point win or greater, that they say will be a then referendum on Obama as Walker before won by 5.

Marcus on June 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

The only thing that will keep people in NYC from being so fatty fat fat is…….

Have ObamaCare install a electric shock device installed in the back of their throats that will provide a desire to “make the right nutrition choices”. After all people just need to be forced to do what they should do anyway.

You could call it the Nutrition Assistant.

……..what else could the “assistant” sensors do?

Mmmmmmm.

PappyD61 on June 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding!

You’re not a dumb poster in general, but at the same time you sometimes say some of the most ridiculously stupid things. The loss of physical education in school is directly the result of:

1. Budget cuts pushed by politicians who won’t raise taxes to fund public secondary education.

2. The demands placed upon school time for test preparation by No Child Left Behind.

There is NO evidence that recess and phys ed have been limited because parents are afraid of childhood injury. Not one single study has EVER demonstrated that. You’re just making things up.

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Marcus on June 5, 2012 at 7:33 AM

make sure you are tuned in with me tomorrow am :)

cmsinaz on June 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Ok, I’ll admit my statement might be a bit hyperbolic, but don’t tell me there weren’t parents who objected to recess because of potential injuries to children.

I used to work at an elementary school in S.Florida as well as being a member of the P.T.A. I heard their arguments myself when our school debated the issue – the recess nannies won out.

And as much as you’d like to blame Bush’s “No Child Left Behind” for cutting recess from schools, sorry, the effort began in 1983 with Charles Doyle report, ‘Nation at Risk’.

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

Poor libfree.

The American Spirit is just too much for you and your nanny-staters to overcome, isn’t it?

kingsjester on June 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 7:56 AM

So you took your singular experience and used it to explain a nationwide recess problem even though the vast majority of evidence and studies links cuts in recess over the last decade to testing demands? That’s not hyperbole its massive mischaracterization in order to further an anti-liberal agenda.

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Poor libfree.

kingsjester on June 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

The American Spirit is cutting recess for test score obsession? Uh…OK….

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

“The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: ‘I’m from the government and I’m here to help.’”….President Ronald Reagan

right2bright on June 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Yeah, I really am ashamed of myself, for using the same tactics of hyperbole and massive mischaracterization in order to further an agenda as you do.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I suddenly feel a great desire to shower.

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Maybe this doesn’t have to do specifically with the topic, but it sort of does: that picture of Bloomberg is just silly. The mayor of a city of 8MM, standing in front of soda cups, erect as a school-child in a backdrop of what in actuality is the environment in which the peoples’ business is conducted.

It reminds me of this photo. I am appalled by the unseriousness; and I would be amused were it not so dangerous.

James OK on June 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

right2bright on June 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

One of Reagan’s most asinine statements and one that has done significant damage to the psyche of far too many Americans. Not backed up by any claims or evidence, just something that people sort of think may be true and becomes justification for all kinds of insane positions. Not the least of which was a 300 pound cab driver who told me “just didn’t believe them government reports that smoking and fatty foods kills.”

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

No, Troll. I was referring to the topic of thread, which you’re desperately trying to derail.

kingsjester on June 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

“So you took your singular experience and used it to” support your claim that Reagan’s statement “has done significant damage to the psyche of far too many Americans” even though “not one single study has EVER demonstrated that.”

I’d call that a “mischaracterization in order to further an” anti-conservative agenda.

Flora Duh on June 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Human beings are not reasoning machines.

Bear witness to the cause of most of America’s problems, summed up in six of the most ignorant words ever strung together.

JohnGalt23 on June 5, 2012 at 8:31 AM

James OK on June 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Exactly – and then he’s up bright and early the next morning for the morning show circuit and another photo-op with the mascots from Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts. He has gone full rodeo-clown with this one.

stout77 on June 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM

kingsjester on June 5, 2012 at 8:19 AM

Oh I introduced school recess into the conversation? Interesting interpretation of events.

libfreeordie on June 5, 2012 at 8:37 AM