Are small donors abandoning Obama, too?

posted at 12:21 pm on June 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Don’t get too excited by this report from BuzzFeed; it’s not what you think, at least not entirely.  Despite having the advantages of incumbency and the biggest e-mail list in history, Ben Smith and Rebecca Elliott report that the Barack Obama campaign has suffered a dramatic drop in small-donor fundraising — as in a 90% decline (via Twitchy):

In 2008, more than 550,000 gave more than $200 to Barack Obama, entering their names in the longest list of individual donors ever seen in American politics.

That list was a snapshot of the hope Obama inspired in a cross sections of liberals, young professionals, African-Americans, and Democrats who saw in him a generational and historic moment. But now, as Obama struggles to keep pace with his 2008 fundraising clip, that list offers a cross-section of Democratic disappointment and alienation. According to a BuzzFeed analysis of campaign finance data, 88% of the people who gave $200 or more in 2008 — 537,806 people — have not yet given that sum this year. And this drop-off isn’t simply an artifact of timing. A full 87% of the people who gave $200 — the sum that triggers an itemized report to the Federal Elections Commission — through April of 2008, 182,078 people, had not contributed by the end of last month.

That’s not an indication of a thundering stampede to contribute to the GOP, though.  Most of the people contacted by Smith and Elliott remain supporters of Obama.  Their enthusiasm has waned considerably in four years, though, mostly due to their perception that Obama hasn’t provided the kind of populist leadership they expected from his Hope and Change campaign.  They have expressed disappointment that Obama hasn’t acted to break up the too-big-to-fail banks, for instance, or to fundamentally change the direction of the country.  Or at least fundamentally change it enough.

But that may not be the only reason for their reluctance to contribute.  The change that Obama has brought to their doorsteps mainly involves a lower economic status:

“Financially, I had more money back then than I do today,” said Greg Holmes, who works in the technology sector in Cedar Park, Texas, and gave $550 last cycle. “I’ll vote for him, but I probably won’t give any money.”

“I don’t have as much money,” said Ann Walling, a retired Episcopal priest from Franklin, Tenn. who donated $1,900 to Obama in ‘08. Money aside though, Walling is still pledging her vote to Obama. “For the most part I’m very happy with him,” she said.

“I’ve had to kind of back off my charity giving,” said Leah Jones, a retired clinical microbiologist from Langdon, Kan., who gave $1,200 last cycle but said she’s been driven to the financial brink by a son’s illness, and hasn’t even paid her income taxes yet.

“I’ve been really anxious to see where we’re going to go on the health care plan under Obama,” Jones said. “I need to be able to get insurance for my son with his preexisting conditions.”

One could say that everyone has less money to contribute, and that the same problem will likely afflict Mitt Romney, too.  There may be some truth to that.  We’ll see how he does on small-donor contributions as compared to John McCain.  Using that yardstick, though, the numbers are likely to look a lot brighter for Romney than Obama, especially considering the organizing prowess demonstrated by Romney over the last two cycles, and the early decision not to unilaterally yoke himself into public financing for this election.

Be sure to check out the BuzzFeed map that shows the intensity of the problem for Obama.  The amount of drop-off in cash appears most intense in Florida and Georgia, the east side of the Mississippi River valley, and the Rust Belt and Northeast.  Those were areas of strength for Obama in 2008, and if enthusiasm as well as donations are falling in those regions, he’s looking at a bad, bad election season.

Comments

Emperor Turdhead needs your $$$ – DONATE TODAY!

Pork-Chop on June 4, 2012 at 12:24 PM

They know they cant contribute because they need to budget their monies but it appears they have no problem that dear leader isnt staying within budget

Delusional

cmsinaz on June 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

UNEXPECTEDLY Again LOL!!

stormridercx4 on June 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Team Zero must be feeling the pinch too, or they would not have been out last week bullying people to donate.

dogsoldier on June 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

They lost Hope, and don’t have any Change left.

Steve Z on June 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Are Russia and China considered “small donors”?

Archivarix on June 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM

How stupid do you have to be.

rbj on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

…he’s looking at a bad, bad election season.

May his election season suffer an irreversible traumatic arrest – and may it be excruciating for him. I cannot stand the sight of the man on the television, nor the sound of his voice because I know full well that it is the visage and musings of a traitor.

But I will tune in to watch him concede the election to Romney on Election Night (or will just turn the damned thing off and mourn for the loss of my country should he win).

What he has done to this country is inexcusable and unforgivable – and may well be criminal.

Anything that is bad for Obama is necessarily good for America.

turfmann on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Send in your money now…and don’t be late.

right2bright on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how some people go against their own best interests…
These people ADMIT they are mostly WORSE off thanks to the Obamanation, yet they STILL support him?

It ls true, liberalism (or at least leftism), IS a mental disease…

Janovus on June 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM

I’m on the Bark email list – no idea how, I think DooDad Pro signed me up.

The emails do seem to be getting a little drastic, shrill even….

CorporatePiggy on June 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Better fire up that Gaza Strip call center!

tetriskid on June 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

have the dudes from hamas contributed again tho? maybe he can make up the diff there.

t8stlikchkn on June 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Of course they are. Why would people only interested in giving $50 or so think the massive incumbent $1 Billion campaign coffers need THEIR little donation that they really shouldn’t be giving in the first place ?

deadrody on June 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

When Barry says “Buddy can you spare a dime”, how can we be sure what he’s asking for?

NoDonkey on June 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Anti-Hope ‘n Change

He makes Chauncey Gardiner appear Einsteinian.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

How stupid do you have to be.

rbj on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Liberals have always had trouble with causality.

Lost in Jersey on June 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Here’s hoping that supposedly safe states become in play so that Obama has to spend those precious dollars defending rust-belt states instead of smothering Florida or Ohio.

Happy Nomad on June 4, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Speaking of elections, don’t forget to stock up on adult refreshments for tomorrow’s WI event.

a capella on June 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Donations faltering? No problem. He can just invite himself to give a speech on the economy in the same town as his six fundraisers.

Down and back on the taxpayers’ dime. Problem solved.

rogerb on June 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Are Russia and China considered “small donors”?

Archivarix on June 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM

This.

nukemhill on June 4, 2012 at 12:36 PM

“From Diapers to Depends” goes to LA, again, on Wednesday. He’d just been there, driving even the lefties insane with stopping traffic. Cash must be really low.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

They should have kept their money and spent it on thingamajigs.

GrannyDee on June 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

“I’ll vote for him, but I probably won’t give any money.”

What’s wrong with the land, summa summarum.

Schadenfreude on June 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I don’t understand these people. They have less money now than they had four years ago, they know things are getting worse under Obama, and yet they still support him. Are they morons? Are they stoned?

RebeccaH on June 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

How stupid do you have to be.

rbj on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Liberals have always had trouble with causality.

Lost in Jersey on June 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

^This

The Rogue Tomato on June 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Most of the people contributing to Romney are doing just fine.

Rainsford on June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Speaking of O’bama, Breitbart strikes again

As a presidential candidate in 2008, Barack Obama disavowed any connection with former domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, the Weather Underground radical who was one of Obama’s early backers and his colleague on the board of the Woods Fund in Chicago. We now have proof that Obama’s association with Ayers continued even after Obama had been elected to represent Illinois in the U.S. Senate–in the form of a now-scrubbed blog post placing Obama at the home of Ayers and his wife, fellow radical Bernadine Dohrn, on July 4, 2005.

-snip-

Breitbart News attempted to contact Dr. Perrin for further comment:

Dear Dr. Perrin,

My name is Joel Pollak, and I am the Editor-in-Chief of Breitbart News.

We came across your blog entry from July 2005 in which you mentioned that then-Senator Obama had been a guest at the Ayers/Dohrn house next door.

I was wondering if you could provide more detail.

Many thanks,

Joel Pollak

Dr. Perrin did not respond. He did, however, delete his entire blog from the Internet.

Dr. Goebbels would be so proud of him.

You can read the entire blog entry at the link, and also see the now-removed blog post as it appeared for 7 years online before being magically disappeared.

Del Dolemonte on June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

The Obama donors of 2008 are on Food Stamps in 2012….

Heard a rumor that Obama is trying to take Food Stamps as a donation…

albill on June 4, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Doodad Pro, where are you? You’re our only hope.

Abby Adams on June 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Most of the people contributing to Romney are doing just fine.

Rainsford on June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

This is a thread about Romney?

Oh, that’s right, it’s not. But thanks so much for sharing that.

By the way, Romney’s biggest donor this year was O’bama’s second biggest donor in 2008, so you’re whistling past Claude Rains’ graveyard.

Del Dolemonte on June 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Better fire up that Gaza Strip call center!

tetriskid on June 4, 2012 at 12:31 PM

It’s hard to run a call center with only 500 million in us taxpayer money aka “aid”. They want the nearly 1 billion Obama gave them in FY 2009 or it’s no call center for you!

batterup on June 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

We’ll see how he does on small-donor contributions as compared to John McCain.

McCain did terribly among small donors. Sarah Palin, on the other hand, did great, and graciously allowed the McCain campaign to cash those checks for her. Unless Romney picks someone with that kind of charisma and connection to the base, I doubt he’ll do any better than McCain did.

Fabozz on June 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Most of the people contributing to Romney are doing just fine.

Rainsford on June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Hmmm… Obama’s policies must be hitting his own base the hardest. Huh. Maybe, due to Obama’s policies that hurt them the most, they should rethink being part of Obama’s constituency.?..

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Are small donors abandoning Obama, too?

Time for another Obama “stimulus” to make sure that the folks have enough money to donate. Can’t allow them to get all disenfranchised and stuff.

If every household that is registered or claims to be Democrat were given a few thousands bucks to donate to the political party of their choice…this “problem” would go away in short order.

Face it, this Administration has poured a lot lot more of our money down far far more expensive rat holes since taking office…this is a mere pittance, really. //

coldwarrior on June 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Being in California, there was zero use in donating to Romney 2012 pre-primary since anyone that is not a reprobate liberal Democrat POTUS candidate is a lost cause in California. Our primary is tomorrow.

The day after tomorrow I will max out in one donation to the Romney 2012 POTUS campaign.

I usually piecemeal my donations to candidates as their campaigns roll along. That gives me the ability to stop before maxing out if the candidate gets in hot water and/or begins to fail miserably during their campaign and/or does something so asinine that I kick myself for donating to them.

But in Mitt’s case — he gets the full $2500 in one shot. I’ve never done that before. But, I’ve also never so completely loathed and disavowed a POTUS before like I loathe and disavow Barack Hussein Obama — his entire administration of prodigal reprobates — and his clown-car’esque cavalcade of Hollywood and MSM sycophants.

FlatFoot on June 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM

People know a LOOOOOSER when they see one.

Sotero may have fooled em once, but not twice.

I will make the exception for the true believers…

Kuffar on June 4, 2012 at 12:56 PM

…being part of Obama’s constituency.?..

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Now, folks, all’s I’m aksing, is you is or is you ain’t ma constituency????

coldwarrior on June 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

“I’ll vote for him, but…”

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I looked at the map. You didn’t mention the drop-off in Illinois, which I’m sure is due to way, way, way lower economic status. Then again, I was convinced that the small donors in 2008 were mostly fictional, created by Soros-employed staffers sitting at computers in a backroom at a secret site, placing donations from mostly made-up people, possibly covering all of Soros’s many and varied alter-ego personalities.

stukinIL4now on June 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

The short answer is yes.

Bmore on June 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM

“Financially, I had more money back then than I do today,” said Greg Holmes

“I don’t have as much money,” said Ann Walling

“I’ve had to kind of back off my charity giving,” said Leah Jones

Don’t these dems ever connect the dots. Come on guys, cause and effect, cause and effect.

DuctTapeMyBrain on June 4, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Now, folks, all’s I’m aksing, is you is or is you ain’t ma constituency????

coldwarrior on June 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Is you is or is you ain’t my baby?Tom and Jerry. Not as good as Dinah Washington but it’s a cartoon!!!

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

“I’m way worse off than I was 4 years ago. In fact I’m so bad off that I can’t give money to our Lord and savior 0bama but I will vote for him at least twice.”

How stupid are these people?

I weep for our country.

jukin3 on June 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

catquilt on June 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

No, they’re Democrats.

Clink on June 4, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Bob Hope said it best …

Montgomery: “When a person dies and is buried, its seems there are certain voodoo priests who … who have the power to bring him back to life.”

Carter: “How horrible!”

Montgomery: “It’s worse than horrible because a zombie has no will of his own. You see them sometimes walking around blindly with dead eyes, following orders, not knowing what they do, not caring.”

Lawrence: “You mean like Democrats?”

Lost in Jersey on June 4, 2012 at 1:11 PM

I don’t consider contributing to a political campaign as contributing to charity…

catquilt on June 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Donating to Obama and Democrats should qualify as charity. You are, after all, giving money to mentally handicapped people.

Archivarix on June 4, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Most of the people contributing to Romney are doing just fine.

Rainsford on June 4, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That’s because supporting Republicans, and Romney in particular, heavily correlates with having a functional brain. People with brains tend to fare better, as a rule.

Archivarix on June 4, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

THIS

o ba ma o ba ma o ba ma

cmsinaz on June 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

In other news, the Obama campaign announces plans to accept donations in the form of food stamps.

novaculus on June 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

♪♫

Short people got
No reason to give…

slickwillie2001 on June 4, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Bottom line: why would you give the most powerful thing you have (your vote) to the guy you won’t give a dime to? Your sign that Obama supports are stupid, have no deductive reasoning and are not able to compare and contrast the differences in their wallet from 2008/Bush and 2012/Obama.

uhangtight on June 4, 2012 at 1:22 PM

But that may not be the only reason for their reluctance to contribute. The change that Obama has brought to their doorsteps mainly involves a lower economic status.

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding.

Tim_CA on June 4, 2012 at 1:23 PM

RebeccaH on June 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Hey!!

Let’s not confuse libtardian lunacy (which is a mental disorder) with the relatively trivial act of getting high.

Tim_CA on June 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Alternate headline:

“Hope and Change voters complete WH website financial advice review; discover campaign contributions don’t fit into personal budgets”

BobMbx on June 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Are you better off now than you were four years ago?

bitsy on June 4, 2012 at 1:33 PM

“I’ll vote for him, but…”

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I’ve got to wonder how many of these people who are saying they won’t donate to his campaign but will still vote for him, are really saying that because if they say they won’t vote for him they’re afraid of being labeled as racist?

I’m not saying they’ll vote for Romney. Maybe they’ll just stay home on election day, or leave the box for president empty.

Flora Duh on June 4, 2012 at 1:34 PM

O/T: I’ve heard that votes in our presidential election will be counted by a company overseas owned by Soros. Anyone else heard this? If this is the case, I find it very troubling. Actually just googled this, and it seems to be true. Will be counted in Spain by a Soros owned company.

silvernana on June 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

stukinIL4now on June 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Yeah. When they turned off credit card verification I was pretty sure it was all BS.

Missy on June 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Interestingly, CO, CA, and WI show significant drop-off as well.

LooseCannon on June 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Popcorn donations are on the rise though…sooooo, chin up champ!!

ted c on June 4, 2012 at 1:39 PM

novaculus on June 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

EBT’s! 2012!

Bmore on June 4, 2012 at 1:41 PM

o ba ma o ba ma o ba ma

cmsinaz on June 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Yup.

Fallon on June 4, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

..a link! A link! A link! Please! I’m dying to see a link for that! Please, Del, I’m beggin’ ya!

*jumps up and down nervously like a man needing to tinkle*

The War Planner on June 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

stukinIL4now on June 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Missy on June 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Yep, and they chose the Gaza strip for one of their massive phone-banks because they need to operate in a lawless area where there’s no possibility of police barging in and saying “what’s going on here?”.

slickwillie2001 on June 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM

RebeccaH on June 4, 2012 at 12:39 PM

They’re liberals and their brains have atrophied.

Good thing the government is there to tell them how much pop they can have, salt, handguns, schooling needs, health care, etc, etc, etc.

kim roy on June 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Are small donors abandoning Obama, too?

…no money!…all they have to give is thingamajigs!

KOOLAID2 on June 4, 2012 at 2:20 PM

When One has the U.S. Treasury at His disposal, One does not sweat the chump change.

Finbar on June 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM

How stupid do you have to be.

rbj on June 4, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Liberals have always had trouble with causality.

Lost in Jersey on June 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Simply a product of brainwashing by our media and LIberal education system. Modern Liberalism is a religious cult that takes the place of God for many. It’s scary and takes real mental effort to abandon that kind of magical thinking.

Gladtobehere on June 4, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

*jumps up and down nervously like a man needing to tinkle*

The War Planner on June 4, 2012 at 2:12 PM

You can find the info at Open Secrets.org; just look for top donors to each of the players from 2008 and 2012. The donor in question is Goldman Sachs.

BTW, in 2008 a lot of employees of another certain company, including a senior VP, donated to O’bama. That corporation was Halliburton.

Less than 2 years later O’bama gave Halliburton a no-bid contract in Iraq.

Del Dolemonte on June 4, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Matthew Broderick must be wondering how he married such a loon.

BHO Jonestown on June 4, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Hey, but he was supposed to pay for my gas & mortgage!

I don’t know how anyone could have voted for this a$$clown in ’08 and not be embarrassed to even admit it now, let alone VOTE FOR HIM AGAIN.

The true definition of insanity (or just stupidity).

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I think of this as a non-story because these idiots are still going to vote for him. The votes matter, not the money.

goflyers on June 4, 2012 at 5:08 PM

You’ll all just have to drive those micro-hybrids a little less so that you can give Barry a little more… Cheap a** liberal poor folk, what’s wrong with you.? Obama needs some more stash cash… Damn bunch of losers.

RalphyBoy on June 4, 2012 at 7:39 PM