Win dinner with Barack Obama and…

posted at 2:01 pm on June 3, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Let’s prepare to close out the weekend with something which doesn’t fit any other possible category except “bizarre.” Alert readers are likely already aware that the President celebrated Friday’s dismal jobs report by striking out on a breathtaking series of six campaign appearances to help shore up the nation’s economy. You might think that would be enough for most people. (I mean, how much more can the guy do for us? He must be exhausted!) But no! There’s more campaign goodness in store.

Without much fanfare, Team Obama rolled out a new ad which will be running tonight during the MTV Movie Awards. It offers the opportunity for two lucky people to have dinner with not only the President and the First Lady, but with two of the people I’m sure we’d all like to spend time with. One is Sarah Jessica Parker. The other, and the hostess of this advertisement, is Vogue editor-in-chief and real life inspiration for The Devil Wears Prada, Anna Wintour. If you’ve never heard Ms. Wintour speak, it’s an experience which is.. ummm… why don’t I just let you watch it yourself.

I’m sorry, but that’s just creepy on some level I find difficult to describe. And is the MTV Movie Awards really where you want to be planting your flag, so to speak?

Yes, we get that Obama is trying to appeal to the kids/fashionistas by launching on MTV. And the awards show is fun and watchable because unlike other glad-handing awards shows, it is unpredictable. But for that reason, the ad buy raises a lot of political questions.

Like why would the President sponsor a show with such a long history of f-bomb dropping, Howard Stern butt-cheek baring and more tonsil-hockey playing than anyplace this side of the last song at a high school dance?

Not only that, but Anna Wintour? Really? Anna “Nuclear” Wintour, the alleged boss-from-hell who was the inspiration for “The Devil Wears Prada.” Doesn’t that just re-emphasize the elite, Coastal, liberal image that Republicans love to mock Obama for? It would be like if Mitt Romney were to hold a fundraiser at a place called Chateau Something….co-hosted by a CEO who just said she was going to shed 25,000 jobs from her company.

Honestly, who has their hand on the tiller over at the Obama reelection headquarters these days? This isn’t just phoning it in, it’s much closer to just generating campaign fodder for your opponent. Either way, enjoy the show! I know I won’t be watching.

I suppose we can close with this, submitted without comment.

Anna_Wintour

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I’ll leave to others to debate the politics. Dinner with Barry, Michelle, Anna and Sarah (not so sure about the Sarah) would be an utter blast.

urban elitist on June 3, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Except, other than voting (D), you’re not one of them.

(Of course I’m guessing you’re not a Harvard grad, a famous entertainer, or a connected Chicagoan. Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.)

The Devil/Prada woman and a man who made a televised off-the-cuff joke at the expense of special-needs children would still be sitting in their leather chairs after your hour was up. Do you really think your one pair of ridiculously expensive French jeans would protect you?

rogerb on June 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Comments are subject to approval, so about what you would expect.

novaculus on June 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Yep. Put in my comment and it is, of course, “pending approval”. However, given that only 8 comments have met with approval, that kind of tells you how little support this video has garnered. In 2008, there would have been hundreds of little empty-minded O-bots like uppercolonside posting sycophantic praises to Duh One and the devil in the blue dress. 2012? Not so much apparently.

AZfederalist on June 3, 2012 at 9:38 PM

rogerb on June 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Would you believe it if it did? Liberals lie, or at the very least, embellish.

Like UES being an investment something or other.
Or Chudsie-Udsie having 12 doctorates or some such.

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 9:41 PM

Obama 2012

Key West Reader on June 3, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Yes, we’ve had mourning in America for over three years now. Come November, it’s time for REAL hope to make a comeback.

If Barry gets four more years, this republic is going down the toilet.

Conservchik on June 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM

kim roy on June 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Punchenko on June 3, 2012 at 8:55 PM

ROFL! I sooo believe Tucker Carson is in it already, he must’ve signed up. If he wins, he better take Gov. Palin-not only to have heads ‘splode but b/c I wanna see her go formal (if she cares!)

ProudPalinFan on June 3, 2012 at 10:01 PM

there’s the link to enter the contest WITHOUT contributing to the Obama campaign…they hide it pretty well in the fine print of the official rules page…

DavidW on June 3, 2012 at 10:02 PM

How many high school graduates will Harvard Man Romney have in his administration, do you think?

urban elitist on June 3, 2012 at 4:40 PM

I’m fairly certain that most members of the Romney administration will have their high school diplomas.

massrighty on June 3, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Instead of being affirmative action hires who smoked marijuana and used cocaine in school, all Romney’s employees will have earned their degrees.

Gladtobehere on June 3, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Am I the only one who didn’t know much about this Anna Wintour woman?

Yes, she comes across like an “aren’t I fashionable and well-connected” socialite type.

“The fabulous people, aka my friends, are all for Obama. They have all kinds of reasons for supporting Obama, which I won’t bother listing. All that matters is that the cool, fabulous people are for Barack and MEE-chelle.”

The music and style of the ad makes it seem like the campaign is going for a hip, urban feel. The music reminds me of the annoying background music in boutique city hotels that try to be so hip and modern with decor involving sparkly green and orange pillows everywhere, uncomfortable plastic chairs, and terrible, unusable business/computer rooms.

These are the kinds of Obama supporters who look down their noses at the rest of the country.

Romney seems WAY more “in touch” with the majority of Americans than Obama.

bluegill on June 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Romney seems WAY more “in touch” with the majority of Americans than Obama.

bluegill on June 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Faint praise, but something, I guess.

TitularHead on June 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

You want to really hurl up your lunch, check out idiot jessica parker in the video on the same channel, “That Guy.” Full of outright lies.

8thAirForce on June 4, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Get over there now and vote it down, the comments are thoroughly combed for 0bummer correctness, but vote it down.

8thAirForce on June 4, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Heh!

The Devil reads Pravda!

Valkyriepundit on June 4, 2012 at 1:35 AM

too late

Dollayo on June 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Ugh. Try and picture that face without all the expensive drywall. Plus, she sounds foreign. I guess she’s a US citizen to be plugging a presidential campaign, huh? Maybe she’s one o’ them there non-US citizen voters the DOJ is pressuring Florida to keep registered. Or the children hipsters who watch MTV are so ultra dumb hip that getting pitched for votes by a ferriner gives them a frisson (like Chris Matthews gets up his leg) or adds cachet (gesundheit). I dunno, to me she comes off like, if she hadn’t fallen into the vacuum of fashion journalism we’d be looking at winning dinner with the third wife of a Manchester United soccer yob. Six o’ one…

curved space on June 4, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Absolutely Fabulous Darling! Can you imagine the vacuum created in that room by the brains of those four people.

flytier on June 4, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Must see to believe…

Cat Scratch Fever: Man Turns His Beloved, Dead Cat Into Flying Helicopter. Not Kidding.

M2RB: Ted Nugent

Resist We Much on June 4, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Upset your nominee isn’t cool are we???? Don’t worry, maybe senator Jose Ribio might be cool enough in 4 years to save you all.

Uppereastside on June 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

______________________________________________

Keepin’ it classy, eh jagoff? I know it’s tough for you, and maybe this passes at “comedy”, but you really are a worthless POS.

Have you entered yet? I’m sure President Thingamajiggy and you will have lots to discuss :)

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 4, 2012 at 8:42 AM

This is really pathetic behavior for a commander in chief. I can’t think of another world leader who would stoop to this level.

scalleywag on June 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I would rather cut my throat from ear to ear than have to spend an evening with that harridan.

HeatSeeker2011 on June 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM

It makes me want to win…I would love to spend one evening listening to the insane talk…
The Republican’s want to kill babies, old people, war on women, destroy the environment, worship corporations, let people suffer…all the while, they live in luxury most of us will never even come close to.
They wouldn’t know what to do with a rational conservative just listening and sarcastically pointing out how ridiculousness their claims would be.
No, conservatives don’t have parents, children, and we don’t hike and fish, or hunt. Neither do we breath air or swim in the same waters as the liberals. And yes we enjoy women suffering, and we want babies born so we can starve them to death…
Good grief, they (liberals) need each other, feed off each other, without another liberal in the room they would have to think…

right2bright on June 4, 2012 at 9:32 AM

That girl should see a speech pathologist.

flyoverland on June 4, 2012 at 9:40 AM

I saw the Sarah j Parker spot on the tube and thought – WTF ?
Is this for real ?
These people cannot be this desperate – this soon.

I’m waiting for a Matt Damon spot next.

You just know SNL producers/writers are so wanting to spoof this- but they can’t !!
On second thought, they’ll spoof it – injecting Smooth Joe Biden where they can.

FlaMurph on June 4, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Lets see, what else can they do to cheapen the presidency? Beyond ridiculous. Panic time?

Amazingoly on June 4, 2012 at 10:35 AM

If I won, I’d want to go to the dinner as a celebration on or about Nov 7th 2012. [or sometime thereafter once court challenges are resolved]

democratsarefools on June 4, 2012 at 11:20 AM

He’d ask Wintour how she managed the incredible timing of having a Vogue issue celebrate fashionista Mrs. Bashir Assad just before the genocide started in Syria.

Wethal on June 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM

+1000

lucyvanpelt on June 4, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Uppereastside on June 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

A. What’s cool about Anna Wintour OR Sarah Jessica Parker?
B. I think you’ve just explained what you Dummacrats look for in a serious candidate… not leadership, not intelligence, not experience running any successful enterprise, just someone whom you can live vicariously through: because they gain admiration from people who play make believe for a living.
How intellectual of you.
And the saddest part? Is that you actually think Anna Wintour and SJP are cool.

foxforce91 on June 4, 2012 at 12:13 PM

“I’m watching you from under my bangs. And judging you and your atrocious blouse. More asparagus?”

Crusty on June 4, 2012 at 12:28 PM

With all of these vitriolic comments about this woman’s looks, PETA is bound to come to her aid any moment.

whiskeytango on June 4, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Uppereastside on June 3, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Good grief, how old are you? Libs never grow up.

kg598301 on June 4, 2012 at 3:53 PM