Personal intrusion in the age of politics

posted at 11:01 am on June 3, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

You probably receive all sort of direct mail items during election season. We all do. You know the type… glossy, gauzy postcards highlighting the amazing qualifications of one candidate or the dastardly history of the other. Or sometimes it’s an official looking envelope which winds up being a hit letter on an opponent or a request for donations. It can be annoying, but it’s a fact of life and mostly harmless for the recipient.

But Ann Althouse was the receiving end of a very different type of mailing this week, and people should take notice. It included a list of her neighbors and if they voted in the past.

I obscured names and addresses, but be assured, this was a list of real names and addresses of people who live near me, with the information about whether they voted in the last 2 elections. This is an effort to shame and pressure people about voting, and it is truly despicable. Your vote is private, you have a right not to vote, and anyone who tries to shame and an harass you about it is violating your privacy, and the assumption that I will become active in shaming and pressuring my neighbors is repugnant.

That certainly seems disturbing to me, but I suppose it could be worse. At least they’re not publishing how you voted, for example. (I’m fairly sure that’s not even possible. Or at least I hope so.) But out here in New York, Professor Jacobson brings us a tale of people receiving even more disturbing mailings.

A few days ago a reader sent me a mailer he received telling him the political contributions of his neighbors. He wrote:

Professor Jacobson:

I got a mailer, claiming to be part of an authorized study project at your alma mater, Harvard University, listing some of my political donations along with some of my neighbors’ donations. The point of the study is not really explained in the email, but the point seems to be whether veiled threats influence future donations. In California and other places as well, the Left has a history of using this information to harass and intimidate private citizens.

Again, this may not reveal an individual’s voting choices, but by listing who you send your hard earned dollars to, people can make a pretty good guess. I realize that the information is available in public databases, so folks could find some of this if they actively sought out the information. But that’s different than having it shoved in your face while you’re going through this month’s bills.

These may be neighbors who have no interest in getting into political fights with the people next door over the back fence. Is this really the sort of political behavior we should be tolerating? Or is it just another case of, “there are no boundaries in politics anymore and all’s fair in love and elections?”

Update (Allahpundit): Madison Conservative, one of our regular commenters, e-mailed us on Friday night a few hours before Althouse’s post was published because he received the same mailer from the Greater Wisconsin Political Fund and was outraged by it. Ed and I didn’t get around to posting on it yesterday but here’s his transcription of the mailer:

Dear Registered Voter:

Scott Walker won in 2010 because too many people stayed home!

Two years ago, more than half a million Wisconsinites who supported Obama failed to vote in the 2010 election. And that’s how Governor Scott Walker got elected. This year, we’re taking a new approach. We’re sending this mailing to you and your neighbors to publicize who does and does not vote.

The chart shows the names of some of your neighbors, showing which have voted in the past. Look at the list below: are there neighbors on this list you know? Call them or knock on their door before Election Day, and ask them to go vote on Tuesday, June 5th.

After the June 5th election, public records will tell everyone who voted and who didn’t.

Do your civic duty – vote and remind your neighbors to vote.

He attached a photo to prove that the letter did indeed contain a list of names and a notation as to whether each person had voted in the last two elections. (He blacked the names out in the photo.) Said MadCon in his e-mail to me:

My … concern is that they’re sending out this kind of list to a mass number of people with fairly personal information, as well as the theme of shaming people into voting. Shouldn’t whether or not one voted be their own business? It’s one thing to knock on doors and ask if you can talk with the residents about a candidate. It’s entirely another to knock on their door and target them because of their voting history.

The combination of the implied initiative and the talk of a future list makes the entire tone rather hostile.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The scum that is doing this are from Harvard (you know of fauxahontal and obambi fame). What piles of garbage Harvard turns out. This is not the American way, but the people doing this are from South America – I think Argentina or Brazil. This is how our president, who is an American citizen, but not an American, thinks. Under any other administration, these dudes would be on the next airplane out for interfering with our electorial process. However, under the holder and naploatano, there will be abevy of librul s..t lawyera to keep them in-country forever and we have a Harvard graduate president that will probably award them the medal of freedom.

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Sorry about the somewhat double post. I left the thread to get the link of the perps country of origin, and thought I lost everything. I then toned it down a bit when I had to remember what I wrote. Thanks vista.

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Good Lord, I hope I’ll be able to make it to November without having a stroke!

sandee on June 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM

i won’t have a stroke. maybe my muscles will be sore after the beating these jerks so richly deserve. and i’d love to dish it out. so sick of these animals.

GhoulAid on June 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

This s/b featured too.

Schadenfreude on June 3, 2012 at 1:20 PM

So should this

Schadenfreude on June 3, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Excellent decisions! Reagan in ’84 was my first vote. It became quite obvious he was doing the right thing after his first term. He was the one that pretty much made me realize I was a conservative.

lynncgb on June 3, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Heh, you’re not going to let her off the hook, are you?

MeatHeadinCA on June 3, 2012 at 12:29 PM

A supposedly smart, rational person being sucked into voting for Chicago Jesus knowing full well what he was from reading his ‘writings’ and listening to him speak? And now she wants some type of absolution?

Some of us were never stupid, MeatHead. You, for one. And you I could understand making that mistake because of your age. She’s lucky I don’t go all right wing garage mahal on her.

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I started lurking at Althouse back in 2007, but wandered away during 2008. When I later learned she voted for O’bama, I was amazed; I thought she was a lot more thoughtful than that.

Just curious-what did she say at the time to justify her vote for the O?

BTW I am going to wander over there Tuesday night to see how garbage mahal is handling this.

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

They wanted to let you know that you were being watched.

petefrt on June 3, 2012 at 12:32 PM

That impression was hard to shake, not that my neighbors can’t tell where I stand due to my political yard-signs displayed every election cycle of so. But it hints at the nasty politics of my home state, New Jersey, where Depression relief aid to the poor was not only systematically denied to registered Republicans but it denied to those Democrats, citizens who were not adequately supportive of their local FDR supporting corrupt Democratic party boss.

Mike OMalley on June 3, 2012 at 1:31 PM

clever…so send this to Dim strongholds to GOTV. WI is a dry run (wasn’t that what flotus said)…prepping for Nov

surveillance effect

the remarkable effectiveness of the social pressure appeals contrasts with the relatively modest effects observed in previous studies of the effectiveness of direct mail voter mobilization campaigns….

The difference between our intervention and mail used in previous experiments is that ours harnesses one of the most formidable forces in social psychology, pressure to conform to social norms….

Decades of survey research have suggested that people implicitly defer to the norm of voting, insofar as they tend to exaggerate their past rates of voter turnout….

r keller on June 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

This is especially pernicious in Wisconsin because of the record of the dhims and PEUs using intimidation and bullying to get their way. This whole exercise is to try to intimidate the voters. This is similar to the black panthers standing outside voting places in Philadelphia.

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Brownshirt tactics including the use of violence against political rivals is quickly escalating, and not only by the Democrats.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Liberals can lie, cheat, steal, smear and intimidate and its all Ok because only they have the moral authority button on their brown shirts.

Just more proof democrats are the American taliban.

Speakup on June 3, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Just curious-what did she say at the time to justify her vote for the O?

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

She was sucked in by dopenstrange. More or less. Nothing tangible, just the feeling obama was good for America.
Just the fact that the masses were swooning for an unqualified black man was nausea-inducing. Black is cool. Qualifications be damned. And of course, that big fat D after his name.

It’s a shame the blacks continue to put all their eggs in that basket. Herman Cain is far more qualified for the office than a lot of Republicans.

Now. To the Romneymobile!/

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Let’s just say that anyone who knocks on the door, asking to talk to Mrs. MadCon, will be met with a “severely conservative” welcome.

MadisonConservative on June 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Looking at Open Secrets, it looks like the GWPF is a progressive money shuffler. They list the Wisconsin Education Association, the SEIU and the Democratic Legislative Campaign Committee in their top 10 contributors. Among their top contributors are America Votes (as in America Searching for Progressive Votes) and Gumbinner and Davies, to the tune of $1,944,950 and $1,703 respectively. Guess who’s in the front of the distribution line with their hands out – America Votes Action Fund and Gumbinner and Davies, $470,000 and $237,092 respectively. (Nice little return on investment for the folks at Gumbinner and Davies.)

This is a nasty tactic. If my neighbors want to know how I vote, they can ask me directly or look it up themselves.

inmypajamas on June 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Huh! I got the same letter from Harvard. It included an email address, so (I was so pissed) I replied to them;

“I just want to know why you think I need to receive a letter from you telling me what my political contributions have been.
Are you positing perhaps that if I know anyone can view my contributions, I might not make any? Or I might make them to a different entity?
Are you trying to affect my political giving? Or, are you trying to get me to act in some fashion in regard to my neighbors?
Since your letter has not actually conveyed any information (….as if I don’t already know who my neighbors are gonna vote for?) it’s kind of a threat to me, isn’t it?
Explain, please, in 100 words or less”

I received this email in response;

“Thank you very much for contacting us and letting us know about your concerns. First of all, we apologize for any inconvenience we might have caused you. We want to make clear that, as you requested, we will remove your name from our research list, and we will not send any further letters to you or to your neighbors in the future.
The main purpose of our mailing is to study the implications of the
public’s awareness about the open nature of campaign contributions,
and not to inform you about contributions from specific individuals in your area – or other’s about yours. One of the motivations for the study is to learn about the advantages and disadvantages of different disclosure policies.

Please let us know if we have addressed satisfactorily your concerns in the shotr space you requested – we are happy to provide further information and clarifications.

Thank you very much again. With best regards,”

SO, I (still pissed) replied;

“Well, then, why have my neighbor’s contribution amounts listed at all? I know how active they are in politics (or not). It’s none of my business to whom they’re giving or how much. If I were a gossipy person, I might look it up myself – because yes, I do understand there’s ways to do that. However, I’m not a gossipy person. I’ll be shredding the doc you sent – just for my own peace of mind…
I don’t mind participating in polls, and as you know, I will easily & forcefully give my opinion. The sheet you mailed, however, made me a bit queasy as to it’s actual purpose. So, ask away & I’ll tell you, but do it in an above-board, predictable, straightforward manner.”

Susan Lee

Susan Lee on June 3, 2012 at 2:13 PM

Let’s see… Greater Wisconsin Political Fund at Campaign Money…. hmmmm….

AFSCME under a couple of guises… $1.3M
America Votes under a couple of guises… $1.3M
DAGA? in CO?… $0.5M
Democratic Governor’s Assn… $1.7M

I’m starting to see a trend here…

SEIU has a number of venues, but … $0.7M
DLCC, geeze how many venues do they have?… $0.48M
WEAC… $1.0M

Why am I getting the feeling this is a Democratic/Labor front group?

Oh, it gets a lot of its funding from Democrats and Labor.

And then you can dig into the other organizations if you want, but I’m guessing they are backed by Democrats and Labor.

Sooner or later you get down to names of individuals of those groups.

Almost smells Soros-like…

ajacksonian on June 3, 2012 at 2:27 PM

It’s obviously desperate Republicans trying to manufacture a “fake scandal” to discredit Democrats, that are behind this.
No, I don’t really believe that.
But if this story gains traction in the common “journalist circles”, that will become their defense.

listens2glenn on June 3, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Yep, voted for Obama. Strike one.

Said Sarah Palin was “stupid”. Strike two.

Rarely has anything of interest to say. Strike three.

She and her husband did post some interesting stuff during the Wisconsin insanity. I don’t follow her blog though. The only time I see her stuff is when Glenn Reynolds stealth links her, which he does all the time. I understand they are friends, but I don’t find her posts to be nearly as entertaining or useful as Glenn apparently does. If it weren’t for Instapundit, the woman’s blog would be a largely unknown irrelevancy.

novaculus on June 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

novaculus on June 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Man, you are 100% right about that.

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 3:15 PM

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 1:43 PM

OK FR, give us a true example where the Tea Party or Republicans have done anything like this. I mean a real example, not lying propaganda put out by the DNC.

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM

And all this time I thought that conservative theocrats were the ones who wanted to intrude and control.////////

INC on June 3, 2012 at 3:43 PM

This could also be more than an invitation to harass people who donate to politicians the receiver doesn’t like, or shaming people into voting.

RedCrow on June 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 1:58 PM

In other words, she was suckered. Big Time.

novaculus on June 3, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Yeah I mainly followed her for the WI Insanity. Especially to see the exploding head Democrat comments. But other than that, she’s gradually become unreadable. Although I do see more than one Hot Gas poster check in there from time to time.

Still respect Glenn Reynolds, though. Especially after he pulled off the audacious feat of smuggling a camera into the Library of Congress to take a stealth picture of the page of The Congressional Record that had a very unflattering comment made to Congress by the Idiot the Democrats ran for President in 2004.

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM

…This could be a helpful resource for those who’d like to commit voter fraud. In areas where no ID is required to vote, what’s to stop a fraudster from picking names from the list who didn’t vote in one or more previous elections?

RedCrow on June 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Second only to the obituaries pages.

slickwillie2001 on June 3, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 3:30 PM

There was a link in my original post that you responded to that includes videos of exactly such evidence you seek. Please watch them.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Here’s the link with the videos again:

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Anybody want to bet that a few recipients of the Wisconsin mailer will decide to impersonate their neighbors? After all, a couple of Dane County judges took out the photo ID part of the photo ID law.

Steve Eggleston on June 3, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I had not considered this but it really would be so easy. Especially if you know that the person still registered doesn’t live there any more. It is almost a cheat sheet for voter fraud. It is a list of people’s names and addresses(the two things you need to vote in Wisconsin) who haven’t been politically active in the past so they probably wont vote this time.

sammypants on June 3, 2012 at 4:49 PM

In other words, she was suckered. Big Time.

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Like 52.9% of the electorate. But I believe it goes deeper than that. In Ann, you are dealing with a broad’s mind. A broad who secretly views Sarah Palin to be better looking than she. Broads generally do not think logically. Perhaps had McLame chosen someone like Fred Thompson as his Veep, she might have voted for McLame.

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 4:58 PM

That link does show an intraparty squabble, where the party heirarchy is trying to control for their candidate (if I guess this right). This was not an INTERparty dirty politics using dirty tricks to fool and intimidate the voters. Nowhere did I see members of another party, located at a big, liberal, eastern univerrsity try to intimidate voters in another state during a PARTISAN election. The example you cited was a little smelly, but that doesn’t compar to the pile of excrement in the Wisconsin case. I know, to the purists our there, stealing a pen from the office is just a bad as robbing a bank.

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Old Country Boy on June 3, 2012 at 5:18 PM

GOP brownshirts committing acts of violence against duly elected delegates at a political meeting is far more dangerous and un-American than releasing a list of people who have voted in the past.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 5:35 PM

FloatingRock

I assume you’re a Ron Paul supporter. While I think RP probably knows more about currency policy than any elected official currently in office, I also suspect he’s an anti-semite. Therefore, i don’t trust the man. And his supporters’ antics do them no favors.

I was at the Shreveport event. i was about 10 feet from Mr. Helwig when he got injured. The whole event turned my stomach. Here was an elderly man injured, and RP supporters were taking pictures of him like he was a prop, and hardly anyone trying to see if he was okay or render aid. For their part, the anti-paul people were indifferent to the man’s injuries.

The whole thing stank. The Executive Committee seemed to be playing dirty. The Paul people shouted that they were elected by a majority of voters for each of their respective districts,but they ignore the fact that the majority of primary voters in the state voted against Paul. Mr. Helwig was a prop for the Paul agitators and the state GOP did a horrible job handling the whole thing. A man got hurt, a policeman may get sued or worse, and the Paul people probably have a legitimate challenge to the outcome of the delegate allocation because the state GOP couldn’t handle its business. The GOP is run by a bunch of cowards, idiots and incompetents. The energy in the GOP is with the crazies (Paul supporters). The party is headed for extinction and the country is in deep doo-doo.

I am disgusted to the point i am going to change my voter registration to ‘independent’.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You sound like a fair-minded person, I appreciate your perspective. I don’t deny that there is a minority of Ron Paul supporters that seem anti-Semitic, or at least anti-Zionist, but I’m not that way myself and I don’t believe Ron Paul is either. I think that what you have noticed is that people with unpopular viewpoints benefit from freedom and liberty, just like we all used to, and they are like canaries in the coal mine. The more people that jump on the freedom and liberty bandwagon, the smaller the share of kooks becomes.

I think that people who think Ron Paul is a fascist threat of some kind are severely misguided. The worst case scenario, IMO, is that he has problems with Israel because he sees it’s presence as a cause of war that he doesn’t want America to be involved in, for altruistic reasons, and may disfavor Israel for that reason, not because he is racist or a religion-surpremecist. In fact I think he is a gentle person who believes in live and let live, and that the role of the government is to make sure people don’t harm other people in the process.

Unpopular views must be tolerated, so I tolerate the fact that there is a small percentage of nuts that support Ron Paul because freedom and liberty is not without costs.

But it’s the Washington DC/Wall Street establishment cabal and their brownshirt enforcers that are the real fascists and the real threat.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 6:59 PM

They’re the ones perfecting the police-state all over the world and now bringing what they’ve learned to train back here at home with the NDAA, the Patriot Act, (which I used to be on the fence over, tolerating it for a while but no longer), and now predator and other spy drones keeping an eye on us all from above. The slippery slope has gone way too far and the threat of fascism is real and present, but it’s not Ron Paul, it’s the people who are trying to stop him.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM

The lengths that the GOP has gone to to stop Ron Paul, up to and including brownshirt violence, and getting caught in so many cases, in so many states, makes me believe that the same thing happened during some if not several of the primary votes, but that the cheaters didn’t get caught because there weren’t a bunch of caucus goers around to witness and video it.

Frankly, I’m not so sure our government is even legit anymore, I doubt our votes even count in America anymore. And anyway, regardless of how we vote or what we the people think, the government is so unconcerned these days that they are in the habit of merely shoving unpopular, corrupt bills down our throats whether we like it or not.

People tell me I should vote for Romney…. whether I do or don’t, I doubt it makes any difference because if I don’t do what the ‘powers that be want’, they will just do it anyway.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Just curious-what did she say at the time to justify her vote for the O?

Del Dolemonte on June 3, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I didn’t read the long posts word for word, but looking over it I never saw a coherent grasp or discussion of Obama’s past, his record or his experience. It’s hard to believe she’s a law professor, or maybe not, considering what most lawyers are like today.

Here’s why she voted for Obama in the WI primary:

From Oprah to his win in the Iowa primaries to Paglia to Andrew Sullivan, it’s a long journey of emotionalism.

Then there was How McCain Lost Me from 11/08/2008.

Another long, tiresome, emotional post which she concludes by saying:

How did McCain lose me?

1. He did not understand economics, the most important issue.

2. He lost the ability to make the experience argument.

3. He never defined himself as a principled conservative.

4. Erratic and incoherent, he lacked sufficient mental capacity.

Then on 07/20/2009 How Obama lost me.

Meade is her husband. This is the shortest post of all. It seems he actually wrote it.

Meade writes the (inevitable) post for me:

1. He did not understand economics, the most important issue.

2. He [never had] the ability to make the experience argument.

3. He never defined himself as a principled [liberal].

4. Erratic and incoherent, he lack[s] sufficient [courage].

INC on June 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM

FloatingRock

I appreciate your perspective as well.

I also agree that there are many civil liberties problems in the country, and that our ‘officials’ are increasingly thuggish, on both sides. What bothers me more is that the partisanship in our country has brought us to a point where average people support the thug tactics, as long as it’s THEIR people doing the thugwork.

Before I go on, let me qualify: I know there are some RP supporters that support rule of law and aren’t part and parcel of the nutty antics like what i witnessed yesterday.

Here’s the problem: the major threat to our country right now is a lack of respect for rule of law. I don’t care if the law in question is local, state, federal, natural or even organizational. People now take the tack that if they don’t like the outcome of a law, they can ignore it. They seem to have forgotten that the correct and moral course is to change the law, within the confines of current custom and law. We saw this this week. The GOP in La. should have long had a law/rule in place that prevented people running running to represent a delegate against the primary voting results of their district or something to that effect. Instead, they very awkwardly tried to cover their butts yesterday. The RP people for their part, for all their talk of majorities, ignored the fact that the vast majority of voters in our state voted against their candidate. So they exploited the rules to try to usurp the will of the people in this state. They also ignored rules themselves. For better or worse, the rules yesterday allowed a disruptive person to be removed at the discretion of the chairman. The RP people would have gained far more sympathy if they’d respectfully and quietly followed the rules, allowed themselves to be wronged and then pled their case before the public.
Further, much of what libertarians promulgate as ‘constitutionalism’ is not. For instance, libertarians often promote free trade and open borders, as if the US gov’t shouldn’t regulate those areas. But the Constitution plainly gives Congress power over those areas.

People in this country are increasingly lawless. And as Mr. Franklin noted, the more vicious and corrupt people become, the more they have need of masters.

We have to have rule of law. That is not brought about by quoting platitudes and writing nice-sounding legislation. It comes from the people themselves, when they respect the laws currently in place, and when they don’t like those laws, using a free type of gov’t (such as we have) to change those laws legally and civilly.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

INC on June 3, 2012 at 7:41 PM

She rambles on in that. Like most broads who swoon, she only heard what she wanted to hear, nothing more. What evidence was there that he was a unifier? Or anything other than a community organizer, and a mediocre one at that? How hard is it to rile blacks and other minorities (white liberals included)?
What evidence was there that this man had accomplished anything?
Here. When in doubt, abstain. There is absolutely no ‘rat worth voting for any longer. They are all leftists intent on accomplishing what John Dingell said accidentally on tape “…So we can control.. the people.” Or that pr!ck Stark and his “I don’t care what the Constitution says.”

They are all leftists, make no mistake.

Lanceman on June 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Seems Obama’s fans have a liking for Castro as well as Mao.

By ISABEL GARCIA-ZARZA
Web-posted: 10:13 p.m. Oct. 20, 2000

HAVANA — Hailed by President Fidel Castro as the savior of
his revolution but decried by others as a Big Brother spy
network, Cuba’s neighborhood watch system, Committees
for the Defense of the Revolution, is marking a 40th anniversary.

“In every neighborhood, Revolution!” reads the slogan on walls
and banners in every neighborhood across the Communist-run
island of 11 million inhabitants. [SEE NOTE AND END]

Created amid the revolutionary fervor of the early years after
the fall of dictator Fulgencio Batista on Jan. 1, 1959, the
system aimed to bind neighbors together in a collective and constant
task of vigilance against “counterrevolution.”

It quickly became the biggest grass-roots structure in Cuba
from large cities to rural backwaters and a defining aspect of
local society under Castro’s rule.

Currently, 8 million Cubans are members of the more than
121,000 individual committees in an organization Castro
formally established on Sept. 28, 1960. State media, giving
great prominence to the anniversary, said the committees were
“the first trench in the people’s fight to confront and denounce
anti-Cuban plans.” Castro himself, in a three-hour speech
marking the occasion, told thousands of loyal members –
Cederistas, as they are known here: “The best work the CDRs
have done … is to have saved the revolution itself.”

The members keep a detailed register of each neighborhood’s
inhabitants, not only listing each occupant by house but also
recording such information as academic or work history,
spending habits, any potentially suspicious behavior, contact
with foreigners and attendance at pro-government meetings.

“The CDRs know exactly who lives in each block, who they are,
what they do, if they work or not … and keep a registry in
coordination with the Interior Ministry,” said Humberto Carrillo,
who is in charge of ideology for the group’s national committee.

blockquote>

Sounds similar?

These democrat “activists” are engaging in intimidation as effective as a NBBP Goon with a club outside a polling station.. but much more subtle. It’s not hard to see where this goes..

“hey Frank.. I hope you vote this time.. (Frank).. ? whate do you mean this time? .. Oh I saw you didn’t vote in 08.. or give any moey to the democrats either… (Frank)..uh.. how would you know wether I voted or no.. or if I gave money?…. Oh we have our ways.. You might want to be sure to vote this time.. we’ll know if you don’t.. (Frank) We?… who the Hell is we?………… oh don’t worry about it.. we know everything about you.. just be sure and vote.. and MAKE SURE you donate to the democrat party.. ya hear?.. and yeah.. we’ll know if you don’t too… Hate to see you loose all your friends over this Frankie… we know them too.. where they work.. the schools your children are in.. GET MY MEANING FRANK?… hate for.. well things happen.. just vote for Obama.. and we’ll know too if you don’t (lie).. and don’t even think of voting for those fascist republicans…. see George over there?.. He’s a fasicist.. one of them GOP Nazi’s.. he’ll get his.. we know where he works.. and that job might just disappear when we get done talking to his boss who lives the next block over three doors down.. Brown siding.. two gables.. garage.. nice yard.. three kids and a Jack Russel in the yard… pity about that dog.. his kids are still crying about it..

Vote Frank.. your future depends on it..

This is exactly what they hope to make happen.. zealot activists lying and usiing just enough real information to sell the lie.. and scare the Hell out of people..

Obama’s private army?… this is it.

mark81150 on June 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

MadisonConservative on June 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’ll bet. Lord help the person who ignores the obvious warning signs leading up to your front door, let alone a toothpick-d!ck Democrat trying to bug you.

MelonCollie on June 3, 2012 at 9:23 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

There’s a good reason that it isn’t set up that way, because the people who are most involved in the process that care enough to show up and participate in the caucuses, and actually have their face counted along with their vote so it’s harder for anybody to cheat, were presumed to be more informed and more concerned about whatever it was that was going on the country that lead to such a reaction. If other people don’t agree or don’t care enough to show up then they are probably uninformed or don’t care. It is another check in our system of checks and balances that were intentionally set up to prevent injustice in the nominating process.

It is a wise system. If I had my way I would switch entirely to a caucus system to choose the nominee of a hypothetical third party, and maybe even the POTUS, because that way low info voters that are most subject to false propaganda will cause less harm with their ill informed votes, and everybody will be a witness to the process to ensure that there isn’t any cheating. People will know if hundreds or thousands of extra votes appear out of nowhere.

Based on how often the the GOP has been caught cheating, which many people may not be aware of because the corporate media hasn’t reported it, there is every reason to believe that Ron Paul was cheated on some percentage of the primary votes as well. What if in reality Ron Paul actually won Iowa on day one and the GOP cheated Ron Paul just like they’ve repeatedly tried to do during the caucuses? Maybe he came in second, (perhaps he did, I don’t recall), which might have changed the entire course of this nominating process. What if Ron Paul came in first in New Hampshire, Ron Paul could be the presumptive nominee right now instead of two lying, corporate/labor owned snake-oil salesmen.

I don’t know if the extent of the cheating in the primary votes, (as apposed to the caucuses), was as great as that, it’s speculation I admit, but I’m reasonably sure there was cheating.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

To summarize my remarks at 10:08: if they’re going to force caucus delegates to conform to the non-binding straw votes, why have a caucus at all? Just dump it and go to a primary system that will be easy for the GOP establishment to fix. But I would advise actually canning the primary vote and moving entirely to a caucus system. At the least I would increase the weight of the caucus system.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Of course, when I say “fix” above, I meant cheating as opposed to repairing.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Reagan tried his best to “exploit the rules” in ’76, too, and almost succeeded. This time the establishment shut it down and will probably end the caucus system because they don’t want any more challenges to their authority. They want to consolidate power and lock it away for themselves.

If they’re going to do that, they might as well get rid of both the caucus and primary system and “the party” can just appoint our rulers.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Says who? The same LA GOP who in their attempt to cheat Ron Paul at the state caucus was willing to use brownshirts to assault their majority rivals? They’re not worth my spit, let alone my trust that they counted/reported Ron Paul’s votes fairly.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 10:37 PM

You lost me at “Althouse”.

flipflop on June 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Says the fact that the voters of this state voted in good faith in large numbers for anybody but Paul. And the fact that in spite of this, his people tried to hijack the convention to award majority delegates to Paul. Your consistent use of the word ‘brownshirts’ is hurting your credibility; you seem to be making a ‘two wrongs make a right’ argument. And nothing personal, the stories I’m hearing (from real people who were there) about the way certain Paul supporters were acting, along with what I myself saw yesterday, makes the appellation far more applicable to RP supporters.

Nothing personal.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

FloatingRock 10:08

I have it on good authority that the likeliest reason it was set up that way is that certain conservatives thought they were being clever, and that they were setting up a system to themselves exploit. The reason I’m so irritated is that when the system came back to bite them, they decided to fiddle with it. That does not absolve the hypocrites from the Paul camp yesterday who ironically yelled ‘majority rules’ while trying to undermine the majority of La. voters who voted overwhelming not for Paul.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Nothing personal.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Following the rules and trying to win is not an example of brownshirt behavior, cheating and violence is. The Ron Paul people were not the ones that were cheating and violent, it was the LA GOP.

Uniformed thugs are entirely inappropriate at such a gathering, especially when they are working on behalf of the cheaters.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Oh please.

You know I’m not talking about that. I’m talking about shouting down people. I’m talking about intimidating people.

The brownshirts were not part of the power structure. They were ‘citizens’ who used fear, intimidation and violence to intimidate fellow citizens to vote their way. Like a fair number of Ron Paul supporters.

On the way to vote for the delegates in my town, I was assailed by several on the way in. One was particularly pushy. I cut it off. He was pissing me off. I was bigger than him. I noticed these guys were far more pushy with women, old people and young kids than grown men.

The police tried to be gentle with the man. His drama got him hurt. I feel bad he got hurt, but I feel far worse that Ron Paul people looked at one of their own as a political opportunity than a person needing help. Some actually looked happy. I guess they felt they’d scored their political points for the day.

that’s why I said RP supporters do themselves no favors. Calling law enforcement officers ‘uniformed thugs’ doesn’t resonate with most americans. At best, it reeks of spoiled brats who don’t like rules, and at worst, it reeks of paranoiac anarchism.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Another example of cheating is when one team is losing so they make up new rules in the middle of the game so that they can’t lose. That’s cheating, and that’s what the LA GOP tried to do. Luckily wiser, less corrupt Republicans in the distant past foresaw this eventuality and made the deadline for rule changes before the game began to prevent such abuse.

The LAGOP tried to change the rules and cheat, they got caught and were called out, and instead of correcting their behavior they called in their goon squad to use force against duly elected delegates.

If Romney is such a popular candidate, or if Ron Paul is really as unpopular as you say, (which polls show isn’t true), then why are his supporters the minority?

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Ron Paul won 8 percent of the vote in this state. 8 out of 100 people.

He’s. not. popular.

A big reason is his supporters are nuts.

They are allowed to change the rules, by the rules. If Ron Paul’s supporters were actually intelligent, and had any political acumen, they’d work to mainstream themselves, work up the party, and change the rules legitimately.

Instead, they yell and protest when they don’t like the rules, pretend that the rules aren’t binding, blame a media conspiracy on their object of worship’s lack of popularity and use injured people as props in cheap political theater.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:14 PM

So the LAGOP tries to cheat, get’s caught, doesn’t correct their own misbehavior but violence instead…. but you’re accusing Ron Paul people of being brownshirts they were rude and shouted? After what the LAGOP tried to do, they have every right to be enraged. Shouting at political meetings goes waaaay back before the brownshirts. Shouting and rudeness are just old fashioned politics, not brownshirt behavior, violent intimidation by goons who threaten to confiscate personal property, (the phone/camera), are.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Using force to deny duly elected delegates to participate in a caucus is a crime, I believe, especially when they are denied their rights as a result of an attempt by other parties to cheat.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I’m not letting myself get drawn into another Paul fight… he lost.

The thread is about democrat dirty tricks and voter intimidation.. personally I feel who ever is behind these campaign mailings using personal information and giving it out to strangers should go to jail over it.

Doesn’t it violate privacy laws?

mark81150 on June 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

mark,

I don’t normally get drawn into them, but I was there, and this guy rock is trying to tell me I saw something i didn’t.

Rock, I guess we’ll disagree to disagree. I’ll just close by saying that if the cops were brownshirts as you claim, your side would have been silenced long ago.

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

mark81150 on June 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I see, so you don’t care about Republican dirty tricks and voter intimidation, that’s OK, but if Democrats do it they should go to jail. You are obviously a very reasoned and fair individual.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Did you even watch the video where they dislocated that guys artificial hip? Did you see the way the goon was trying to grab the microphone way like the duly elected delegate, a member of the rules committee, like he was some sort of baby doing something wrong? He wasn’t, the LAGOP was doing something wrong and the guy who was violently assaulted was the one who was in the right. Another guy had his fingers broken.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Did you see the way the goon was trying to grab the microphone away from the duly elected delegate, a member of the rules committee, like he was some sort of baby doing something wrong?

corrected

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

avgjo on June 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Are you kidding? There has been a news blackout about all of the foul play by the GOP against Ron Paul and his supporters for months and even when they did give him some attention earlier on it was to ask him when he would drop out and endorse the MSM candidate, Romney, or otherwise treat him in a biased, dismissive way.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

So we have been silenced pretty much everywhere but the Internet.

FloatingRock on June 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

Rock, I guess we’ll disagree to disagree.

I enjoyed the discussion even if we disagree. Not many people around here think the GOP is worth defending, they just hate Obama and the Democrats more it seems.

FloatingRock on June 4, 2012 at 12:46 AM

I also got the Harvard letter.

Disgusting.

Within the next 20 minutes I wrote out 5 more checks and 2 credit card donations.

If liberals had ANY INTELLECTUAL HONESTY they would vote AGAINST obozo.

And be happy knowing their papers showed that they had voted….

WryTrvllr on June 4, 2012 at 2:11 AM

This “snitching” and monitoring of neighbors is nothing compared to what INSTAGRAM could be building.

Instagram is in the process of building communities where they have users submit photos of their areas with the ultimate goal of bettering the cities etc. IMAGINE what kind of force you could have if you had thousands of people in the community YOU live in taking pictures for a specific “good”?

And this monitored community is already underway in places like Australia, they have regular “meetups” etc.

Naaaaaaah, nothing bad could never happen. No worries.

PappyD61 on June 4, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Do they target republicans who didn’t vote or just democrats who haven’t voted in a few elections, or simply people who have never registered to vote before?

Dollayo on June 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Dollayo on June 4, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I’ll tell you what. Any “neighbor” that stops by to urge me to vote for filthy Democrats will be getting some decidedly un-neighborly comments from me! Seriously. People have the right to vote or not vote. They also have the right to not be harrassed in their own homes by those seeking to destroy this nation.

Happy Nomad on June 4, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Whatever happened to the “penumbra right to privacy”?

Mitoch55 on June 3, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Oh, that wispy gossimer strand of flowing ectoplasm which swirls and eddies through the Constitution only extends, into the real world, to reach your crotch.

To the nihilists in power, sexual expression is the ultimate good, because it regards the ultimate pleasure. The nihilists are establishing their own worldview and value system as law. Because nothing else is as important as sex, nothing else needs the same constitutional protection or “rights”.

Axeman on June 4, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I am pretty sure the signs on my lawn every election give my neighbors a clue who I vote for…not that I care.

Oh, and the “Trespassers Will Be Shot” sign keeps most people that can read away from my front door.

Marcus Traianus on June 4, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Gerrymandering. These metrics of voting participation rates and political donations were used along with other government databases like never before in this latest round of redistricting. (I can’t wait for the electronic medical records database to go online.) And these email and mailer tactics of location targeted community dissenters will be monitored most closely in the months and years to come to see if this “nudge” makes a difference. Not unlike the recent movie Bully, you are being conditioned. Tainting the jury pool. Don’t expect the government or any person “in charge” (elected or otherwise) with a milk crust upon their lips from the government teat to do anything for you or yours, but embrace the nudge to keep up with the Jones’ in deference to patronage, gratitude and scraps from the municipal table. “We collectivists are civilized and all civil matters are for the court. We have an attorney on retain, how about you?”

This should be Big Media viral. Your government is bullying you. Let the targeted voter know we understand their not engaging in voting to voice their desire the One Party policy direction statists will continue to cannibalize each other, but now the public sector is devouring the brainzzzzz of our children’s prosperity long before the establishment will collapse. So join us! Local GOP, Tea Party, 9.12 Project, Conservative, Libertarian, etc. etc. etc. in voting for this ______ as a vessel, a machete to chop back the tentacles of the Big Government network we navigate daily that seeks to drown us in government as charity propaganda. –As an aside, if they allow your child to be bullied, embrace that you are being targeted for relocation by school administration. You may fight the system but that is time away from your family you will never get back. If it isn’t resolved after three months, get serious, homeschool is your best option.

Again, your government is bullying you. Are you an Althouse, a mouse or a man?

FeFe on June 4, 2012 at 9:42 PM