Bloomberg: One doughnut won’t hurt you, but 17 ounces of Coca-Cola will

posted at 1:21 pm on June 1, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Seriously, you just can’t make this stuff up — and you don’t need to do so, as long as nanny-staters have to explain themselves on national television.  Mayor Michael Bloomberg appeared on the Today show this morning to promote his ban on large servings of sugary beverages, while at the same time celebrating — I kid you not — National Doughnut Day.  Matt Lauer challenged Bloomberg on the hypocrisy, but Bloomberg insisted that it was just a matter of degree:

Lauer reminded Bloomberg that his administration came out in support of National Doughnut Day, which Lauer said “sounds ridiculous” in the wake of his attempts to ban large-sized sodas.

“It doesn’t sound ridiculous,” Bloomberg replied. “One doughnut is not going to hurt you. In moderation most things are OK. Number two, think about what National Doughnut Day is. It celebrates a lot of young ladies during World War I called ‘donut lassies’ who went and gave donuts to our soldiers while they were fighting to protect.”

Lauer asked why Bloomberg’s same moderation philosophy with doughnuts doesn’t apply in the case of soft drinks.

“This was before obesity was a national epidemic,” Lauer said, interrupting. “If anything in moderation works for doughnuts — why not with soft drinks?”

Let’s do a little comparison. A 20-ounce Coca-Cola contains 240 calories, according to Reason’s Jacob Sullum.  According to the nutritional information posted at Dunkin’ Donuts, only four donuts on their menu have lower calorie counts:

• Maple frosted donut – 230 calories
  • Marble frosted donut – 230 calories
  • Sugar raised donut – 190 calories
  • Strawberry frosted donut – 230 calories

Bloomberg uses the 32-ounce serving size as a comparison, though, not the 20-ounce size.  Assuming that a 32-ounce serving of Coke would equal 384 calories at 12 calories per ounce, how do donuts stack up?  Four donuts on the Dunkin’ Donuts list exceed that calorie count — Apple Crumb, Blueberry Crumb, Apple Fritter (which was my favorite when I could still eat them), and Glazed Fritter.  Three more come in at almost the same calorie count, at 380 calories – Maple Frosted Coffee Roll, Vanilla Frosted Coffee Roll, and Chocolate Frosted Coffee Roll.

While we’re at it, have a peek at the other breakfast options, too.  Try the sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich on either bagel and croissant and you’ll ingest almost twice as many calories in that 32-ounce Coke: 640 calories.  None of the breakfast sandwiches listed fall below that 20-ounce level of calories. And also note that these are the basic units of consumption for all of these choices; there is no smaller quantity available, as there are with beverage sizes.

Clearly, celebrating donuts while attacking a serving size choice in liquid beverages is not just hypocritical, but absurd.  It’s a demonstration of the basic stupidity inherent in a nanny-state regime, and in the nanny-state martinets themselves.  CNN front-paged my column today suggesting that New Yorkers put Mayor May I on a power diet:

This is just the latest intervention staged by Hizzoner. His past decrees banned smoking, not just indoors in places of business, but also outside of businesses and in parks. Bloomberg also banned restaurants from cooking with artificial trans fats. In those cases, he took a lot of criticism as being a health hysteric and a food nanny, but at least an argument existed that consumer choice might have been irrelevant. Restaurants don’t usually advertise all of their ingredients on the menu, for instance, and few people get asked permission before someone lights a cigarette in the doorway of an establishment.

In this case, though, no such argument exists. People purchase the volume of beverage they desire, and in almost every case, plenty of choice exists for smaller quantities. The outcome of barring the sale of anything larger than 16 ounces of Coca-Cola or Pepsi at the ballpark will be that more containers will get thrown out as people just buy more units, and that waste will have to be disposed of later. Consumers will pay more and have more inconvenience in purchasing what they want to drink, and will still end up drinking the same amount anyway. …

Bloomberg justifies his nanny-state interventions by pointing to the social costs of obesity, but there is no direct causal link between obesity and 20-ounce sodas with sugar in them, and neither would it be anyone’s business at all except for the increasing government control and subsidies for health care. Bloomberg’s insistence on dictating consumer choices has a more direct connection to an assumption that government should control our access to health care than obesity has to a couple of Big Gulps.

Perhaps it’s time for New Yorkers to put their mayor on a power diet, and to wise up about the real trade-offs between expanding safety-net programs and personal choice.

Better yet, have a Coke and a smile and get the hell out of the personal choices of New Yorkers.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Exactly, fatlibertarianinokc. There are many activities like reckless sex that are unhealthy yet the liberals don’t suggest we regulate them. It is convenient that the things they do want to regulate are activities that they don’t do. (Michael Moore excluded. I am sure he must have guzzled down a lot of soda in his day.)

McDuck on June 1, 2012 at 3:55 PM

This post made me all hungry. So I went out and got a Bacon double-cheeseburger, two large fries, a 40-something ounce Dr. Pepper, then had a Drumstick ice cream cone for dessert.

I think now I’ll go get a Super Big-Gulp, drink half of it, and back-fill it with Captain Morgan’s, and then slam the whole thing. Might clean a pistol or two later on…
Suck it, Bloomberg.

a5minmajor on June 1, 2012 at 3:56 PM

I think the King (Elvis for you youngsters) would disagree with Blameberg regarding his Soda/Donut contrast and compare.

FlaMurph on June 1, 2012 at 4:03 PM

One thing I never want to hear is someone who supports this asinine policy describe themselves as “pro-choice.” If the foundation supporting the right to an abortion is personal liberty and bodily sovereignty, then why is that not true with respect to our food choices?

Selkirk on June 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Exactly. Same could be said for drugs n’ booze too.

Ed, don’t compare just the calories, compare the sugar contents. I believe I saw that the ban covers coffee but not lattes. This will hit a lot of starbucks fans hard.

oryguncon on June 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I think that being short is harmful to your health. It unfairly opens the height challenged among us to being bullied.

We should pass a law that any male under 5’8″ should have to wear 4″ heals, Elton John style, for their own preventive protection.

If this doesn’t seem rational to you, don’t worry, we’ll force you to understand

Not-a-Marxist on June 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Outlawing abortion = bad because government shouldn’t be able to tell people what they can and can’t do with their bodies.

Outlawing unhealthy food/drinks = good because well, uh, because…we’ll get back to you on that.

Left Coast Right Mind on June 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Bloomberg: One doughnut won’t hurt you, but 17 ounces of Coca-Cola will

Hey, you mindless clods of NY, your lunatic-left NANNY has given you the OK to eat a doughnut. Enjoy it. (NB: if you spill any crumbs on his streets, he’ll put you in jail for littering and won’t let you have another one ever. So be careful, very careful.)

TeaPartyNation on June 1, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I SUPPORT BLOOMBERG AND HERE’S WHY!!

I’m tired of prohibitionist laws.

I’m tired of people telling me that I can’t pay a woman for sex … or distill whiskey in my backyard … or smoke a marijuana joint … or …

And ALL of these laws have been levied on me by CONSERVATIVES – because they have judged these things to be bad.

Bloomberg is doing the same thing – nothing different. He’s judged this sh** to be bad – and he’s banning it just like Conservatives have banned buying liquer in my county on Sundays.

So UNTIL THE CONSERVATIVES GET THE MESSAGE THAT I’M TIRED OF PROHIBITIONIST LAWS – I’ll be supporting every prohibitionist law that pi$$es conservatives off.

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

liberalism at work, plain and simple.

ultracon on June 1, 2012 at 5:50 PM

And I hope those morons in NY choke on their slurpies.

ultracon on June 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Napoleon was short, too.

John the Libertarian on June 1, 2012 at 1:26 PM

How ironic.

Napoleon Bonaparte was 5’6″
Joseph Stalin was 5’6″
Michael Bloomberg is 5’6″

Hmmmmm…..

timberline on June 1, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I believe New York is getting its just desserts for electing this village idiot.

Marcus Traianus on June 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Lets see…..hmmmmmm

Bloomberg likes cops
Cops like donuts

Igitur, Bloomberg likes donuts.

timberline on June 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

I SUPPORT BLOOMBERG AND HERE’S WHY!!

I’m tired of prohibitionist laws.

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Looks like we need a law to send you to therapy……

tom on June 1, 2012 at 6:23 PM

If you cannot trust people to buy a soda how can you trust them to raise a child???

CW on June 1, 2012 at 6:46 PM

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

How old are you?

CW on June 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM

I’m tired of people telling me that I can’t pay a woman for sex

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I suspect you really mean it.

CW on June 1, 2012 at 6:54 PM

The problem isn’t the sugar, it’s the damn metric system.

By ensuring that restaurants cannot serve a half liter of soda, New York City is ensuring the continuation of English measurements in this country. God bless you, mayor, and let’s all lift a pint in your honor!

malclave on June 1, 2012 at 7:25 PM

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

lol.. good point, although you’re only going to pi$$ them off.

I hope congress one day becomes a “battle” between LEFT and RIGHT libertarianism.

If so we’d get rid of the wild swings in our lives, government and foreign policy.

The differences would be much more minor, while both sides would have an eye toward defending liberty of the minority. They would just have some rather small differences in the best way to defend it.

It’d be epic.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 1, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Here’s a frightening altiverse for you:

Dr. Cocteau .

Thank you for that round of applause. My plan to ban Salt, Alcohol, fatty foods, sugars, profanity, and all other freedoms appears to be progressing nicely.

Indeed. Under the control of Mayor Doomberg, New York shall become a beacon of order with the purity of an ant colony and the beauty of a flawless pearl.

Mayor Doomberg AKA Loki:

[to crowd] Kneel before me. I said… KNEEL! Is not this simpler? Is this not your natural state? It’s the unspoken truth of humanity that you crave subjugation. The bright lure of freedom diminishes your life’s joy in a mad scramble for power. For identity. You were made to be ruled. In the end, you will always kneel.

Jones Zemkophill on June 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Escape from New York! Calling Snake Pliskins(sp?) or Batman or that Blade Runner dude!

Oh yeah, EFU Bloomberg!

Sherman1864 on June 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Uh oh, Taco Bell is now serving up a breakfast concoction made of Mountain Dew and OJ called Mountain Dew A.M.

Taco Bell says it’s testing the new drink–known by some as a home remedy cure for a hangover–at locations in Fresno and Southern California.

Brat on June 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

According to the label, the main ingredients of Dew are concentrated orange juice, citrus extract, citrus pectin, and various citrates.

So adding OJ to it is sort of like the old saying about carrying coals to Newcastle.

My estimate of the IQs of Taco Bell’s management just dropped about 30%.

cheers

eon

eon on June 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I SUPPORT BLOOMBERG AND HERE’S WHY!!

I’m tired of prohibitionist laws.

HondaV65 on June 1, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Unprotected sex with a “pro”? STDs.

Home-made “white lightning”? Better make sure it was run through a copper condenser and not an old car radiator, laddie. You don’t want to know what the latter sort will do to your insides. And even the “good” stuff is hard on your liver.

Pot? More tar than the roughest shag tobacco. (No nicotine, the THC serves the same chemical purpose in its makeup.) Lung cancer and emphysema are as serious a problem for choomers as for tobacco smokers.

Want to ruin your health? Hey, go for it. It just means that my taxes won’t be paying for your Social Security.

Or at least, not for very long.

cheers

eon

eon on June 1, 2012 at 8:26 PM

fructose in sugar is the chronic toxin, and behind most of the weight/liver/insulin issues. While i dont think Bloomberg has any authority to ban it, we are being poisoned with sugar laced products ever since Nixon. Bloomberg probably didnt get the memo, that progressives wanted the herd to be sicker, so that they can grab bigger control over their lives, or maybe Bloomy is big on irony.

anikol on June 1, 2012 at 8:33 PM

“Number two, think about what National Doughnut Day is. It celebrates a lot of young ladies during World War I called ‘donut lassies’ who went and gave donuts to our soldiers while they were fighting to protect.”

LOL Pepsi and Coke both gave free sodas to troops during WWII. Bloomberg is a slave to Big Pastry.

stout77 on June 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Wow! That was probably the most serious bit of journalism Lauer did in the last 25 years.

Happy Nomad on June 1, 2012 at 9:43 PM

stout77 on June 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

It wasn’t all benevolence. They got federal funding to establish plants all over the planet so that the troops could get a “taste of home.” They trained up locals to operate the plant. And when the war was over, surprise! They were a global company.

Happy Nomad on June 1, 2012 at 9:47 PM

“Bloomberg: One doughnut won’t hurt you, but 17 ounces of Coca-Cola will”
and neither can hurt you more than a dim-bulb elitist who thinks he can live your life better than you.

chickasaw42 on June 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM

E M P E R O R – F R U I T C A K E
and the donut people

This Fall on TBS

deedtrader on June 1, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Stress kills. Living under the rule of jerks like Bloomberg is stressful. Ergo, let’s ban all liberals from public office.

writeblock on June 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Has anybody ever been waterboarded with soda?

Can we make Bloomberg the first?

trigon on June 1, 2012 at 10:40 PM

stout77 on June 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

I understand that in WWII, C-rations included cigarettes.

Maybe Bloomberg will get behind a National Cigarette Day.

malclave on June 1, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I’ve been saying it for years.
First they will come for our cokes, cheeseburgers, and fries.
Then they will come for our guns.
Then they will want to take away our bibles, to which we all cling.

How lucky we are that totalitarianists like Bloomberg know what is good for us better than we ourselves know.

Rogervzv on June 1, 2012 at 11:53 PM

why do you like poisoning yourselves. I don’t want to pay for the ambulance to take your fat butts to the dialysis center 2 a week.

tlynch001 on June 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

NYC

Soda killing fatties = bad

Liberal women killing babies = good

Welcome to the new America

1984 in real life on June 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM

How about the health care cost of homosexual transmission of AIDS? How about regulating that?
How about the health care cost of OWS and the drugs and rapes that have happened?
How about the health care cost of abortions?
The cost of wasted government interference in the free market?
The cost of you spending time flattening your butt making up things to keep people from flattening their butt?
How about a tax on salad? Rabbits eat vegetables and their fat. How about that mr know it all?
How about a tax on paprika? I understand a study that was done by an Indian man in India that thought he found the relation of paprika with spending money on soda. Kill paprika sales and soda will drop. Make sense?
When will you stop looking at the problem of fat people and start with the murders, rapes, and organized crime in your own back yard. Something about that log in your eye versus the splinter in mine. Grow up and grab a pair. Bet you reach between your legs and feel nothing.

Molonlabe2004 on June 2, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Of course he’s not going to ban doughnuts.
If Bloomberg were to ban doughnuts, he’d end up pissing off the only group of people in New York City legally allowed to carry guns.

Bob in Feenicks on June 2, 2012 at 3:21 AM

tlynch001 on June 2, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Why don’t you mind your own business? You don’t pay squat – my insurance company does. The one that I willingly give my business to. If I want to waddle into Waffle House and drink sugar right out of the jar, it is no business of Mayor Bloomberg’s.

stout77 on June 2, 2012 at 4:03 AM

The next step will be, that bakeries cannot sell a dozen doughnuts. Only one at a time.

savage24 on June 2, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Don’t know how they make doughnuts in the modern era but back in ’47 I fried doughnuts for a bakery and they were DEEP FRIED in a tub of…..you guessed it, pure lard! Heart attack anyone?

Herb on June 2, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Heard Nanny Mayor talk about how 23% of New Yorkers are obese and wondered where he came up with that percentage. Probably thin air. Someone told him, he was appalled and had to take action. Sugar drinks are high on the list but not doughnuts. He acquired a target and isolated it. He applied Alinsky principles to 32oz drinks and voila. They make up reasons to impose control as they go along.

Kissmygrits on June 2, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Bloomberg is the epitome of how a liberal thinks. Make it impossible to get a BIG GULP because he thinks it is not healthy for you whether you like it or not. He is making you do something because he is intellectually superior and knows what is best for you. Now the inferior recipient of his action now buys two drinks instead of a BIG GULP. Bloomberg’s ego is satisfied by forcing his will on the masses and the masses get the same amount of soda anyway so both parties are satisfied by the obvious lunacy of the situation. When the largest city in the country elects a complete buffoon like Bloomberg, the end may be closer than we think.

volsense on June 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Only in the United States you cannot buy a BIG GULP because it is not good for your health on the way to abort your baby at a government sponsored abortion clinic. Gosh, liberals sure are smart.

volsense on June 2, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Clearly, celebrating donuts while attacking a serving size choice in liquid beverages is not just hypocritical, but absurd. It’s a demonstration of the basic stupidity inherent in a nanny-state regime, and in the nanny-state martinets themselves.

The absurd hypocrisy comes from the stupidity of the statist regulatorist methodology:
they look at every “problem” in isolation, without considering its relationship to other “problems” (or even non-problems) or the inter-relationship of all these problems and their solutions.

They don’t do any meaningful analysis of cost-benefits, unintended consequences, effectiveness, or anything else that would measure the results of the “solution” and discover if it would actually solve the problem.

Because the solution is always selected on ideological grounds divorced from any rational application to reality.

ObamaCare is the gargantuo ad absurdem of the statist world-view.

AesopFan on June 2, 2012 at 11:01 AM

How about 17 donuts?

Seriously, this is just the 100th or so of many more bans and rules to come. First, it was transfat, then salt, and I’ve lost track of them all.

Now it large drinks with sugar.

Next, it will be the size of steak a restaurant can serve, what fast foods will be allowed to put on your hamburger, what kind, if any, dessert you will be allowed to eat.

This is the food equivalent of Obamacare. Sell the idea that government needs to control what you can buy in the name of health care (and as always–the children) to get a food in the door. Then EVERYTHING you eat or drink can be controlled for the sake of health care and the children.

If this ban passes, I weigh 160 pounds and I’m in good shape. But I won’t be allowed to buy the size drink I’d like to have because a few people allow themselves to become fat.

People, we are losing our freedoms and rights at a breathtaking rate.

We better turn this around on election day or we will be the only ones to blame that we lost it all.

BMF on June 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

What about his war against salt? There’s at least 3X more salt in those doughnuts than in a 20 oz bottle of Coke.

Kyle_Reese on June 2, 2012 at 2:00 PM

The sooner New Yorker’s dump this wannabe dictator, the better.

byteshredder on June 2, 2012 at 3:54 PM

What changed? You order 2 drinks or still get free refills. If he really wanted change, he should shut down the subway and make the obese walk to wherever they want to go. That would force them to understand they need to change their condition, or they could find a new mayor, better than the current mayor.

Kissmygrits on June 3, 2012 at 10:27 AM