Video: Obama shares laughs with eternal scapegoat for all Democratic problems

posted at 5:21 pm on May 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Give him credit. For once, he almost got through a day without using Dubya as a campaign prop.

Almost.

At the unveiling of former President George W. Bush’s official portrait at the White House this afternoon, President Barack Obama joined his predecessor and their wives in delivering brief (and at times nice, cordial, and funny) remarks. But there was a seemingly out of place moment during the ceremony when Obama seemed to veer into reiterating his frequent trope that he inherited a bad economy from Bush.

“The months before I took the oath of office were a chaotic time,” Obama said, after explaining that the president’s job is isolating, and that he and Bush have a connection since so few have held the job. “We knew our economy was in trouble, our fellow Americans were in pain, but we wouldn’t know until later just how breathtaking the financial crisis had been.”

Follow the last link for video of that. In fairness to O, he was gracious to Bush otherwise, taking special care to salute him for understanding in 2008 “that rescuing our economy was not just a Democratic or Republican issue; it was an American priority.” Translation: Don’t forget that the GOP voted for TARP too. Duly noted.

As you’re about to see, Dubya — and Laura — stole the show. Three minutes of laugh lines from CNN. Exit quotation from AmSpec’s Jim Antle: “Wonder if Bush briefed Obama on how to get conservatives to support big government.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Aah, the days when the adults were in charge. Let’s get back to that asap.

slickwillie2001 on May 31, 2012 at 7:06 PM

C’mon, guys: you’re almost making me feel bad for upperleastside…

affenhauer on May 31, 2012 at 7:12 PM

You think they will include Valerie Jarrett in the Obamas’ portraits..?

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

I base my vote on what I FEEL they can do based on campaign rhetoric.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 6:36 PM

That without a doubt is the most asinine statement I have ever heard from a so-called adult. When your candidate wins do you do “uptwinkles” and get all mushy inside? Good grief.

Deanna on May 31, 2012 at 7:22 PM

You think they will include Valerie Jarrett in the Obamas’ portraits..?

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

HEH!!!

Photo Portrait Bomb!!

BigWyo on May 31, 2012 at 7:23 PM

I miss seeing George surrounded by his men and women in the military that clearly love and respect him.

I miss George bowing his head in prayer, his hand on his heart or saluting a flag.

I miss George and Dick Cheney in the White House…two supreme adults in charge of things.

Yes, George made me mad on several fronts, way too Liberal for my taste, but all-in-all, I could sleep at night instead of my insomnia that sometimes brings me out on the graveyard shift here.

God bless you, George and Laura
We miss you more than you know.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 31, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Odd portrait of Laura, doesn’t nearly do her justice. But it’s good to see them both again, especially laughing.

Tanya on May 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM

How nice to see examples of class instead of the usual crass we see from the Os.

Mallard T. Drake on May 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Bush attacked Iraq when they had nothing to do with 9-11

Bush left 1,000′s of American citizens to perish in the Katrina hurricanes

Bush failed to capture Osama Bin Laden

Bush crashed our economy.

What made him a great President again?

Politricks on May 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

A perfect reminder of people who know things that just ain’t so.

The only thing in your list that wasn’t completely false was that Bush didn’t actually capture bin Laden. It’s also irrelevant, since only idiots think that Al Quaeda began and ended with bin Laden.

Fortunately, Bush was a lot smarter than you, and properly kept the focus on the whole of Al Quaeda and other associated terrorist groups rather than focus on a single man.

tom on May 31, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Lol. That’s the difference between you and I tin foil. I will always vote for people who I feel will create opportunities for the middle class and not just the upper 1% who fund their ampaigns. While O hasn’t been the best president everrrrrrrr his heart is in the right place. The right wing fought him from day one so we really don’t know what he is capable of in my opinion.

Contrast that with Sketch who we all know has no core. He will be the laughing stock of this great country God forbid he wins. The Comic industry will flourish if America makes the mistake of electing this ineffective used car salesman.

His foreign policy will be a disaster. The isrealis will walk all over him. The Palestinians will consider him a puppet thereby eliminating any deplomatic solutions between the isrealis and the Palestinians. So forgive me if I am fail to vote for Sketch in November.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Well, thank God I’m a fellow New Yorker. It will be my pleasure to cancel your sorry pathetic vote out.

Let me address your galactic stupidity point-by-point. King Putt’s party had control of both the House and senate for two full years. That was a gift most presidents never get. So we know full well what “he’s capable of”: massive spending and a health-care bill that never once, in 2,000 pages, addresses tort reform.

As for his foreign policy being a disaster, I refer you to King Putt’s stunning ineptitude with Iran, Syria, Libya, Egypt, Pakistan…

As for the Israelis “Walk(ing) all over him,” explain to me exactly why it’s such a bad thing to have a secular democracy known for religious tolerance not only being an ally, but taking a leadership role in a part of the world that desperately needs it?

I await your pants-wetting response.

Maddie on May 31, 2012 at 8:01 PM

What made him a great President again?

Politricks

5.2% unemployment for starters.

We had a higher GDP than Cuba back then too.

People could move across the country, sell their house and find a new job.

Right now, we’re in the shi crapper, Sunny Boy

Typicalwhitewoman on May 31, 2012 at 8:04 PM

P.S.

Gasoline was $1.84/gal when George handed his “disastrous” economy to Barky.

Barky would get reelected on George’s numbers.

Typicalwhitewoman on May 31, 2012 at 8:06 PM

You think they will include Valerie Jarrett in the Obamas’ portraits..?

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

She’ll be in the framed photo on the desk.

kringeesmom on May 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I await your pants-wetting response.

Maddie on May 31, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Cut…jib…newsletter….

You won’t get a coherent response…

BigWyo on May 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

You think they will include Valerie Jarrett in the Obamas’ portraits..?

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 7:13 PM

She’ll be in the framed photo on the desk.

kringeesmom on May 31, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Little Bammie will be sitting on her knee.

slickwillie2001 on May 31, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Tanya on May 31, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I had a similar feeling watching the video. It seemed… the painting gave her a funny look maybe? But as I watched the video, I just couldn’t help but smile. They just seem so genuine. And maybe that’s just the freedom even of being under the radar these days. It looks good on them.

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

BigWyo on May 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I know. Worth a shot, though.

Maddie on May 31, 2012 at 8:57 PM

So you’d vote for Barack “Solyndra” Obama?

But Bush’s wasn’t, cause he’s evil or something? This your sixth sense? The same one telling libs about how voting R automatically makes you a bigot?

Are you forgetting that his party once had control of the House and the Senate, or do you think we forgot about it?

We actually agree here. The entertainment industry certainly can’t find a single thing funny about president so cautious that he brought teleprompters to a junior high school.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

How is Obama handling this better exactly? Does he have Palestine’s respect? Does he have Israel’s?

Is this really as deep as you run?

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 8:58 PM

watched this live..man President Bush is sooooo much more funny and genuine than Obama..yes i didn’t say President Obama to slight him like he did to Bush…It’s always good to hear him and the First Lady Laura Bush talk again..such classy people, i admire them a great deal..i certainly can’t say the same for the current occupants in the white house..i blame you Obama for making me so political!

sadsushi on May 31, 2012 at 9:00 PM

I met them a few times when his father was President. They are genuinely kind, friendly, and very affable people and the rest of the family is no different. It’s not an act or a veneer.

His father is my favorite President of recent times but I really soured on W after the first four years. I think the difference was the people around the two leaders as much as the style difference between WW2 alumni patricians and W who introduced the CEO Presidency.

lexhamfox on May 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Thank goodness that the video only had a minimal amount of BO and it was an actual heartfelt thank you to GW (if only for the TV sports pkg). I loved the bookending premise of George W’s, very funny and wonderful to see 43 and Laura enjoying themselves.

CitizenEgg on May 31, 2012 at 9:10 PM

“Bushes humorous return to the white house.” Bushes?

Bushes.

Gatekeeper on May 31, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I’m confused…

Adn after Obama’s performace you think this is Obama? How?

OH, NOW I GET IT.

You don’t care about results, just “feelings”. If you do what feels right and you make things worse that’s good. If you do what makes thing better but don’t :”feel” right about it, that’s still bad.

Sorry, I prefer to actually make things better; not just support people because I think they “care”. I’ve worked with incompetent people who care… they’re more trouble when they’re working than when they’re absent.

I’d prefer less trouble, so I’d prefer Obama absent. But I’ll give him an “A” for effort and he can have a participation medal so we don’t hurt his feelings… even though he gets an “F” for making things worse and not better.

Good enough?

gekkobear on May 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

gekkobear on May 31, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Yep, “his heart is in the right place”. I’ve heard other moonbats say “he’s doing the best he can!”

Such a low bar for the biggest job in the nation. It’s what I would expect though from the proggies, those that gave us the greedy unions and the schools where everyone gets a gold star no matter what they do.

slickwillie2001 on May 31, 2012 at 11:57 PM

It was pathetic to see the POTUS whine and take shots. It is never his fault.

antisocial on June 1, 2012 at 1:05 AM

Good ole’ Dubya. He’s almost endearing now that he has absolutely no power to ruin the country/world…like an alcoholic uncle you’ve just come to accept as is.

inthemiddle on May 31, 2012 at 5:26 PM

By the left’s standards, Obama makes Bush look like a financial genius.

zoyclem on June 1, 2012 at 7:36 AM

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Are you always so delusional or did the sight of a real president (Bush) bring about a relapse of BDS?

zoyclem on June 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

Mallard T. Drake on May 31, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Gag me. I can’t get over the conservatives that think Bush is admirable. Bush is a scumbag, as is Cheney. They and their cronies in congress crippled the economy of this country with the expense of wars, prescription drugs, No Child Left Behind, Sarbanes/Oxley and too many other things to mention. They had Alan Greenspan and Bernanke finance all that spending with inflation, which is the real source of the economic problems we’ve had and the real reason why prices, particularly for oil and gas, have risen. It’s a tax, after all. It is because of all of this we have had Obama and Democrats piling on even more of the same and why this country will not be the same until such politicians, be they Democrat or Republican, are a thing of the past.

rickv404 on June 1, 2012 at 8:50 AM

“In fairness to O …” No. No. No. Obama’s referencing the economy in that setting is a cheap political jab. It is classless. Anything that followed that commentary is null and void! It’s akin to a child throwing an ugly fit until the lollipop is handed over. Suddenly, the brat of the previous moment is gone and replaced by a sweet, charming child. Obama got what he wanted with his jab and then, self-satisfied, was of a mind to bring on the charm. Like I said, classless.

Robin888 on June 1, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Bush crashed our economy.

Politricks on May 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

B.S.!

Democrats crashed the economy. They are the ones who pushed CRA and prevented Republican attempts to reform Fannie/Freddie.

They are all to blame, but Bush and Republicans more. They made it easy for Obama to win and do further damage. Republican is just another name for a Democrat. People like you had better wake up and realize that, before it’s too late.

rickv404 on June 1, 2012 at 6:47 PM