Video: Famous Chicago political organizer … outorganized?; Update: Romney holds surprise presser of his own outside Solyndra

posted at 2:01 pm on May 31, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

This sums up perfectly the first month of the general election campaign.  The team with the community-organizing experience thought they could secretly arrange a rally in their opponent’s home state to attack his record as governor, led by the chief organizing genius of the campaign.  David Axelrod got a large, unpleasant lesson in Chapter One of This Ain’t 2008 Any More:

Loud and rowdy supporters of Mitt Romney in Boston drowned out an attempt by President Obama campaign’s top strategist to attack the former Republican governor on his home turf.

In a morning news conference on the steps of the Massachusetts Statehouse,David Axelrod, one of Mr. Obama’s senior strategists, tried mostly in vain on Thursday to level Mr. Obama’s latest broadside on Mr. Romney’s record as governor of the state.

Instead, he was booed, heckled and chanted down by supporters of Mr. Romney who refused to let up even for a moment as Mr. Axelrod and Democratic state lawmakers sought to make their case.

With cameras rolling, the Republican hecklers yelled “We Want Mitt!” and “Broken Record!” and held signs that said “Go Back to Chicago!” Mr. Axelrod appeared bemused but rattled by them, at one point saying: “You can shout down speakers my friends, but it’s hard to Etch A Sketch away the truth.”

Word started leaking about the Boston event last last night, according to the NYT’s Michael Shear, while the campaign announced it this morning.  Somehow — oddly — CNN managed to have enough planning time to have a live feed broadcasting over the network.  As the video shows, though, that coup ended up backfiring on Axelrod, who stammered and looked rattled indeed, as Shear describes.

BuzzFeed has even more, with Axelrod looking like a deer in the headlights:

Yup … this ain’t 2008, that’s for sure.

Update: Wow … this just gets better and better.  Here’s where Mitt Romney was while Axelrod was cleaning the egg off of his face:

ABC News covered the surprise press conference outside the shuttered Solyndra plant:

Mitt Romney arrived at the shuttered headquarters ofSolyndra Inc. this morning, a surprise visit that was shrouded in secrecy and part of the presumptive GOP presidential candidate’s attack on President Obama’s record on jobs creation.

“The reason for keeping it quiet is because we knew if word got out that Solyndra would do everything in their power and the Obama administration would do everything in their power to stop us from having this news conference,” an aide said in a briefing en route. “But taxpayers made a substantial investment in Solyndra, there are serious questions about what happened at Solyndra, why that investment was selected, what happened to that money.”

Solyndra is the failed California-based solar technology company that received more than $500 million in federal stimulus money before it went bankrupt last year. It has since become a mantle of Romney’s argument that Obama doesn’t know how to run the economy.

Did any of Axelrod’s organizers figure this one out?  Doesn’t look as though they did.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Mitt needs to go stand next to Walker!

Schadenfreude on May 31, 2012 at 2:05 PM

..and wave (their index fingers) at Obama’s plane as it flies overhead going from fundraisers in Minneapolis to fundraisers in Illinois. According to Greta:

President Obama is in Minnesota on Friday for 3 fundraisers…and after the 3 Minnesota fundraisers, he flies over Wisconsin (check your map) – skipping any help for Mayor Tom Barrett – to Illinois where he has 3 more fundraising events for his campaign and the DNC.

OT but another hot tip about a rising star in the GOP ranks: Mia Love (R) is running fro congress in UT’s 4 CD and, if elected, will become the first Republican black woman in the House..evah! She is awesome!

The War Planner on May 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

0bama is toast. He’s done. Beautiful.

FlatFoot on May 31, 2012 at 2:49 PM

Don’t celebrate until the night of Nov. 6, when you know for sure.

Schadenfreude on May 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

HOpe the Solyndra visit becomes a campaign ad.

PattyJ on May 31, 2012 at 2:51 PM

…anybody report the trolls to missing persons…for this thread?
…where’s DumbBear, UPyerassideways, Urban Defeatist…et al?
…getting their afternoon enema?

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

This was definitely a good move by the Romney campaign, but why the heck is he essentially concedeing PA as angry as the coal mining towns in the state are at Obama?

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

He cuts his expected losses in anticipation of 300% turnout in urban Philly districts patrolled by Black Panther footpads. Those areas need a well-staffed prosecution team, not ad spending.

Archivarix on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Obama ate a dog.

joejm65 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Don’t listen to screamers like Mark Levin. Romney knows how to throw a punch.

NickDeringer on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The War Planner on May 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

She IS awesome. Saw her on Fox last night. Class act. Utah should be so lucky to have her in Congress.

J.E. Dyer on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Boy, I can remember a few months ago when people in here stated that Mitt would be a squish. LOL…boy you people were wrong.

rubberneck on May 31, 2012 at 2:45 PM

It’s still way too early to make any judgments about the campaign. If the Dems start with the violence, how will Romney and the media react?

BTW, Romney has the most liberal record of any Republican presidential candidate. I’ll vote for him to get rid of Obama, but I’m not expecting Reagan 2.0 in offfice.

Gladtobehere on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Would any of the other Republican Candidates have taken it to Obama like Romney has been?

I doubt it.

Gunlock Bill on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Me too.
However, what concerns me is that now I’m no different than the 2008 Kool-Aid drinkers when voting enthusiastically for a campaign.

bettycooper on May 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM

No, we are voting against Obama. Having someone that actually looks like they can do a better job and run a better campaign and might not be a complete loser is a bonus. ;)

kim roy on May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Team Super Mitt is showing swiftness along with creativeness in counterattacking these corrupt comrades. The fawning media are ‘flopping” around ineffectively trying to develop a smear narrative- that can divert long term attention away from the Fraudbama ineptness.

Golf anyone?

You know Obie must have been thinking at lunch today………”if only I could be running against GW Bush…again

FlaMurph on May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I wanna see “I am not a Kenyan” speech!

Don’t have time right now to look for a speech of LBJ’s renomination.

Or for that matter Nixon’s resignation.

Either of those two would work quite nicely for Obama right now.

JEM on May 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Someone is finally figuring that we need to strike back twice as hard, as soon as possible. Good.

Bob's Kid on May 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

I hope it’s not just my imagination, but it sure seems like O’s campaign is imploding. Axelrod will need to find yet ANOTHER strategy. They got nuttin’, and Mitt seems to be hitting stride. Long way to go of course, but it seems even the media cant overcome the incompetence. Not for a lack of trying either.

JusDreamin on May 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I doubt it.

Gunlock Bill on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

This. So many people thought Romney would just roll over for Obama.

In other words, there are a ton of Republicans that have no clue what type of mentality it takes to be as succesful as Mitt Romney has been in life. There was never any doubt that Romney would give it everything he had and would fight Obama as hard as he could.

Guys like Romney do not do things unless they give it 100%. And that means holding press conferences in front of Solyndra and embarassing Obama.

milcus on May 31, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Wow. Mitt is a leader, not afraid of Obama, and keeps it classy. How refreshing.

LASue on May 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Obama ate a dog.

joejm65 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

An even better chant “Where Is Bo????”

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on May 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

The daily question should be asked to Obama:
Are you trying to fix America’s problems or are you out campaigning?

Is Obama even working (not that he ever did much) or is he on a re-election sabbatical until November?

albill on May 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Love the video title “Axelord”–hah!! Hmm, typo or intentional?

Bet it’s even harder to Etch-A-Sketch away 4 years of failure, eh, Axeltoad?

stukinIL4now on May 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I’m wondering if Odumbo expected that Romney would be the same level of glass-jawed loser that McCain was. I kinda think he did.

SKYFOX on May 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

The next thing you know, Mitt will be varmint huntin with Sarah Palin.

faraway on May 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

This. Is. Energizing. (not just the) Base.

so-notbuyingit on May 31, 2012 at 3:00 PM

So let me get this straight … Romney supporter heckle an axelrod “surprise” presser and then the Romney campaign holds a surprise presser of their own on the same day at Solyndra?

At the risk of tipping off the dopes at Choom HQ, I gotta ask … Does Mittens have moles in the bark-a-bama campaign? I’m sure team zero is a bloated, inefficient beast that you could probably slip a half-dozen spies into, but it just seems that Willard’s crew is two steps ahead of every move.

More please.

Lost in Jersey on May 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Mitt won’t be walking down the WH halls asking what Bush would do :)

Electrongod on May 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The War Planner on May 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Her opponent is a middle aged, white, metrosexual, liberal who is the incumbent from the 2 CD. He fled the 2 CD to what he thought would be the most Democrat friendly 4 CD (in which, he does NOT reside.)

It is going to be fun to watch.

Gunlock Bill on May 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Mitt doesn’t inspire all that much enthusiasm in me, but this was a shot to Obama’s kidneys. Well done.

After reading this, I got an amusing visual of Axelrod and Co. furiously flipping through a dog-eared copy of Alinsky for Dummies desperately looking for their next move.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

This was FREAKIN’ AWESOME!
Well played Mitt, and great showing in Boston.

What say you Axel-douche?

St Gaudens on May 31, 2012 at 3:02 PM

LASue on May 31, 2012 at 2:58 PM

He is, at the least, everything that McCain wasn’t.

thebrokenrattle on May 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Chapter One of This Ain’t 2008 Any More

I am soooooooooooo stealing that…

… Thanks Ed!

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Good going Mitt. It is good that you have the cajones and are standing up to barack. I am really looking forward to baracks crash and burn come November.

DuctTapeMyBrain on May 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Keep playing checkers Axelrot. Mitt’s playing chess. This is only the beginning!

ROMNEY 2012

cicerone on May 31, 2012 at 3:04 PM

…anybody report the trolls to missing persons…for this thread?
…where’s DumbBear, …UPyerassideways, Urban Defeatist…et al?
…getting their afternoon enema?

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

..sincere thanks for continuing that meme about Phlegmatic. With his, prosaic, redundant, tedious comments, I just naturally figured he suffered from some sort of blockage.

The War Planner on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Honestly, they’re not even playing the race card correctly.

rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Exactly! This was used to devastating effect against the Clintons in 2008. Now there’s hardly a whisper of it.

Doomberg on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Maybe it only worked then because the Clintons were running in the same party – one that literally owns the Black community, and couldn’t risk fighting hard on that issue? (Or there was a deal made -that we haven’t seen yet?)

Don L on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

“If the President is going to have his people come into my rallies and heckling, why, we’ll show them that we conservatives have the same kind of capacity he does.” Video

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

OK, but the chanting and drowning out is going to come back on Romney events. Let’s stop that right now. That’s not what America is about.

The Solyndra event was a good idea. As long as Romney emphasiszes that taxpayer money shouldn’t go to these things, period. I’m sure Romney could have run Solyndra better, but if he wants to, the Oval Office is the wrong destination.

J.E. Dyer on May 31, 2012 at 2:5

I don’t think Axelrod telling the protesters to shut up is what America’s about either. He had the arrogance to tell the protesters that “they couldn’t handle the truth” and to “shut up”.

Where’s the class? And I don’t have a problem with a respectful protest showing that Obama thug just how much trouble they’re really in, even in liberal Boston!

I don’t think Romney ever said he could run solyndra at all unless I missed that? His campaign spokeman said that Bain could’ve saved Solyndra though!

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

the comparison of these two suprise visits is too funny. I love the new slogan “This is not 2008″. you got that right

exceller on May 31, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Romney’s people are very clever not to tell ahead of time where they’re heading. Next step is to leak some disinfo. The Dog Eater must be pretty upset he’s not running against McCain again. I’d love to hear the rants.

edshepp on May 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Don’t have time right now to look for a speech of LBJ’s renomination.

Or for that matter Nixon’s resignation.

Either of those two would work quite nicely for Obama right now.

JEM on May 31, 2012 at 2:56 PM

..done and done! Knock yersef out, old son!

The War Planner on May 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Doomberg on May 31, 2012 at 2:35 PM

Buddy they’re already doing it. Hasn’t worked has it? Go drink more of your kool aide!

I also have been jumping up and down, well in my mind because I was at work.
I knew Romney would surround himself with great people. He hasn’t been this smart in all that he does and be a duffus, as a lot of hotair people have tried to imply.

I am so excited and just think, no golf games (ye, the idol rich, he doesn’t play golf) no trips to spain on our dime, in fact Romney will not take a salary. Man I’m so exicted. Just in case you didn’t get it, I’m excited!

Bambi on May 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Team Mittens continues to impress.

Eat your heart out, McCain.

Bruno Strozek on May 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

They’re with Axelturd and Goebbels. The current strategy is a flop.

Schadenfreude on May 31, 2012 at 3:11 PM

J.E. Dyer on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

She was certainly blessed with above average genetics and a decent upbringing.

Mitchell Heisman on May 31, 2012 at 3:12 PM

kim roy on May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

I feel better now. This concession will keep me from binge eating Meggie Mac’s Twinkies.

bettycooper on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

More please.

Lost in Jersey on May 31, 2012 at 3:01 PM

They may have a mole in the media somewhere. Or they may just have alter staffers monitoring the Twitter feeds of all the Obama campaign press corps so they got wind of this early. Either way it is good work.

And it seems that this is indeed a tit-for-tat in response to the Obama campaign organizing a protest when Romney went to West Philly last week. I’m guessing there are some high level calls going back and forth now between both campaigns to call off the dogs.

rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Why do I suspect that Mitt will show up in Krakow Poland next week with a personal apology for our president’s poor behavior, and a promise to give them that nuke shield?

Take that Putin and Mr. Flexible

Don L on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

edshepp on May 31, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Maybe someone will do a Hitler rant about this.

Gladtobehere on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Don’t listen to screamers like Mark Levin. Romney knows how to throw a punch.

NickDeringer on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Mark Levin isn’t the enemy. Obama is. I’m bored beyond belief at the persistent RINO vs. “TruCon” war still being waged on these boards. Primary season is over.

Right Mover on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

“My friends”?!?!?!? Did he learn that from John McCain?

Or vice-versa?

UltimateBob on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

EXCELLENT

sorry I didn’t come back sooner….

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I wonder what old joe will be saying tomorrow.

Bambi on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

FlaMurph on May 31, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Not to worry. The Silky Pony verdict will save the day.

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Go Mitt Go

color me happy he is NOT mccain 2.0

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Not to worry. The Silky Pony verdict will save the day.

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

yup…this will be hidden by the lsm

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I wonder what old joe will be saying tomorrow.

Bambi on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

he’ll be his usual smug self…

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Love it! Regarding Pa., the Pat Toomey win tells me that Mitt might be able to win here, too. Joe Sestak seemed to be well-liked by a lot of people. And I know Toomey got a lot of union votes.

Paddington on May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

bettycooper on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

If you change your mind, you better get ‘em quick … Twinkies are bankrupt

Lost in Jersey on May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“My friends”?!?!?!? Did he learn that from John McCain?

Or vice-versa?

UltimateBob on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

No difference, they both suck.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Newt must have given Mitt this idea. It is as crafty as Newt’s plan to trail 0bama’s campaign and appear where he did.

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich promised on Friday evening in Iowa that if he wins his party’s nomination, he will follow President Obama around the country until Obama accepts a challenge to participate in Lincoln-Douglas style debates.

“I promise you, if you will help me on January 3, if I end up as the nominee, in my acceptance speech, if the president has not yet agreed, I will announce from that day forward for the rest of the campaign, the White House will be my scheduler,” Gingrich said. “And wherever the president appears, I will appear four hours later.”

I’d like to see Mitt or even Newt or Trump do this!

Brat on May 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM

“My friends”?!?!?!? Did he learn that from John McCain?

Or vice-versa?

UltimateBob on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Good catch. I’d bet the top roll of Meggie Mac’s back fat it was the latter.

bettycooper on May 31, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Does Mittens have moles in the bark-a-bama campaign?

Perhaps this is Ulsterman’s White House Insider at work tipping off the Romney campaign to keep them one step ahead.

Right Mover on May 31, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Ha! From the NYT story – contrast and compare with OWS tactics:

But they, too, were booed by the Romney crowd. Joseph A. Curtatone, the mayor of Somerville, noted that some of the hecklers were blowing bubbles at Mr. Axelrod and the other speakers.

+++

Romney was a successful CEO of two companies, an Olympics, and a state. One thing successful CEOs know how to do is hire a winning team and make sure it executes. I don’t know why anyone would doubt Romney’s ability to hire an excellent team and run a good campaign.
Maybe David Axelrod doubted it…until today. :-)
rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Yep, and just imagine how awesome he’ll be running the country and taking on snakes like Putin – maybe even outsmarting them.

J.E. Dyer on May 31, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Normally I’d agree that heckling is a terrible idea, but remember this was not a typical campaign event where the candidate talks to supporters. The whole point of this was to bash Romney’s record as Governor (and may I note how pathetic the criticism is, like the complaint he vetoed too many bills? How dare he!).

The Oval Office is the wrong destination for what? Don’t understand this comment.

Buy Danish on May 31, 2012 at 3:19 PM

HA!!!!!

GO MITT!! YOU INGENIOUS BASTARD YOU!!!

ted c on May 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

daveweigel ‏@daveweigel
And theeeeere goes the Romney campaign’s news cycle. RT @NBCNews: A verdict has been reached in the John #Edwardstrial.

They were so hoping…

gaius on May 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Thanks for sharing that. It’s great having you here.

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

here lies a half a billion of your money…..

ted c on May 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Right Mover on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 PM

^^This^^

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Sheeet.

That’s my friggin state senator on Axelrod’s left.

Rich on May 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Don’t listen to screamers like Mark Levin. Romney knows how to throw a punch.

NickDeringer on May 31, 2012 at 2:53 PM

The more Romney and YOU listen to The Great One the more both of you would learn and the better off both of you would be.

It’s b/c of the RINO’s and their big gov’t ways that we’re in this mess overall as a country.

Going after Solyndra was a brilliant move. However, repudiating the PAC for even thinking about the rev. Wright ad was a braindead move.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Every time the Obama campaign turns around they’re getting a knee in the nutz. Never in a million years expected that from Romney’s campaign. Now I’m starting to think if Romney’s half as good at presidentin’ as his campaign advisors are at scoring political points we might actually have sumpthin’ here.

antipc on May 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 3:21 PM

You’re welcome and thank you.

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:23 PM

mitt` the man

jimver on May 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

gaius on May 31, 2012 at 3:20 PM

the lsm will focus on axelrod and those evil gop protestors before they report on mitts presser for sure

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Brilliant. Hopefully Romney will tour the U.S. to all the other green energy failures to give press conferences.

It wouldn’t hurt to give a press conference on the spot where Agent Brian A. Terry was killed to help increase awareness of the Fast & Furious scandal as well.

jjrakman on May 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Obama ate a dog.

joejm65 on May 31, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You got that right.

Burke on May 31, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Hahahahahaha!!

For once it seems we have a GOP campaign that really, really, really knows what they’re doing. They have out-maneuvered Obama’s team every single step of the way.

I’m loving this.

Mitt may not be the sexiest GOP candidate to come down the pike, but man his campaign team sure is!!

ButterflyDragon on May 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Not to worry. The Silky Pony verdict will save the day.

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM

yup…this will be hidden by the lsm

cmsinaz on May 31, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Drudge has a big pic and a link. Not quite the same, but not completely hidden.

;) to bettycooper

kim roy on May 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

this ain`t 2008 deja vu all over again…

jimver on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Well Barack did famously instruct us to “get in their faces…”

Zetterson on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 2:38 PM

With as competent as the Romney campaign is proving itself to be, if this is true then I’m fairly confident they’re doing it for a good reason. PA is quite a prize but if the polls are closer in places like Iowa, Nevada and New Hampshire and those media markets are cheaper then I’d rather see him getting more bang for his buck in those places rather than chasing a potential white whale in the coal towns or the Philly suburbs.

alchemist19 on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Holy wow. This may be the greatest thing I’ve seen all year.

RedNewEnglander on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

jjrakman on May 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

^^^^THIS !!! I agree 100%!

Nothing wrong with exposing the truth to the American public and making sure they don’t forget the multitude of Maobama failures!

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 3:34 PM

ButterflyDragon on May 31, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Don’t say that in front of the blue gilled one. She might react by eating your face.

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Excellent point made here by Romney in the ABC story:

“Who wants to put money in a solar company when a government puts a half a billion into one of its choice?” Romney asked, suggesting that investors and entrepreneurs would be less likely to found their own companies if they believe the government would help a competitor. “They don’t understand how the free economy works”

Buy Danish on May 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Flora Duh –

Do not worry about Pennsylvania, Romney will be here plenty. He was just in Philly last week. The Solyndra visit today was important because of the recent attacks on Bain Capital and the release of the TV ads about Solyndra. It was good timing for Romney because he was already in California for Memorial Day and for some fundraising. I doubt he will get back out there very much.

rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Today’s scorecard:

Romney…………………… 2
Axelfraud / Obozo ……. 0

OneVision on May 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I must say that’s a brilliant move by Romney..need to hit Obama hard on his failed policies and Solyndra is one of his biggest..and screw you joe scarborough…this American right here cares about how my tax paying dollars are spent!

sadsushi on May 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

alchemist19 on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Thanks

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I love it that Mitt is rubbing their noses in solyndra.

ted c on May 31, 2012 at 3:40 PM

sadsushi on May 31, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Wherever Romney campaigns will now become important. The polls are tightening and even biased reporters know that this guy may very well be the next President, so whatever he does is news. Romney’s people understand that, and they also know that they are not going to educate low-information voters only with 30-second TV ads. Romney will have to personally appear at places like Solyndra to get people to pay attention.

rockmom on May 31, 2012 at 3:41 PM

VERY impressed with Mitt today. He has officially taken the ball and run with it.

cdog0613 on May 31, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Mitt Romney, on his campaign’s guerilla warfare today:

“Most of the events I go to, or many of the events I go to, there are large groups of, if you will, Obama supporters there heckling me. And at some point you say, ‘You know what, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.’ If they’re going to be heckling us, why we’re not going to sit back and play by very different rules. If the president is going to have his people coming to my rallies, and heckling, why, we’ll show them that, you know, we conservatives have the same kind of capacity he does.”

We can’t spare this man. He fights.

Esoteric on May 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Did anyone hear Mitt when he was asked about the rude people shouting at axelfraud?

He responded (and I love it), “well obama’s supporters have heckled me when I speak, so I guess what’s sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander.”

You go Mitt!

Bambi on May 31, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Well I guess mine wasn’t an exact quote but pretty close.

Bambi on May 31, 2012 at 3:46 PM

jjrakman on May 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Personally, I’d like to see that too. But Mitt needs to be careful, something that incendiary could backfire on him.

UltimateBob on May 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I believe Azzlerod was overconfident being in MA.

derecho on May 31, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I think the more accurate way to put it is that he was lazy.

Its not just the lack of a friendly crowd. Why Axelrod on the podium instead of a local Democrat? Answer: he didn’t talk to the local Democrats. The guy thought someone had to give a speech in Boston, and instead of reaching out to a local who might actually be good at giving speeches, he just hopped on a plane.

At least everyone can stop accusing Axelrod of “Chicago politics”. A true Chicago machine man would have known its bad manners to (literally) show up at someone’s door step unannounced.

Mahna Mahna on May 31, 2012 at 3:48 PM

The Romney team must be looking at Obama and his ‘gang who can’t shoot straight’ as easy pickings. Every week they light another exploding cigar and take a deep drag.

The truth is that his entire presidency has been one awful, costly mistake after another. And the even sadder truth is that too many Americans have paid dearly with few opportunities to salvage their finances and reconstruct their lives. If Mitt is listening, he knows what I know, and that is that people are furious.

This is easy pickings for Mitt. I want to see him dissect and dismantle the Obama team with the same surgical precision that he would approach a failing company. Once he’s in the WH I want to see him use the same skill set to tackle a bloated government laden with onerous regulations.

This cheers me greatly. Good job, Romney. Throw it back in their faces and let them beg for a truce.

It’s the first time I’ve laughed and meant it in 3.5 years.

Cody1991 on May 31, 2012 at 3:49 PM

alchemist19 on May 31, 2012 at 3:33 PM

As a coal country native, I disagree. You don’t need to buy all of Pa.’s markets to cover the mining areas — Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, and Altoona-Johnstown will do it. There, you run the Obama statement that he’s going to bankrupt coal companies, and remind the miners that Obama’s going after their jobs.

either orr on May 31, 2012 at 3:50 PM

a tiny pimple in history and the mittbots go insane. i remain unimpressed and on the sidelines. sure feels good to sit this one out.

btw whats romney gonna call his death panels? and will christians be on the top of the list?

renalin on May 31, 2012 at 3:54 PM