Uh oh: New York City Council president breaks with Bloomberg over “punitive” soda ban

posted at 8:05 pm on May 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

Yes, this is a big deal. The City Council can’t kill the ban — when it comes to controlling what you eat, NYC is no democracy — but Quinn’s opposition carries political significance. She’s president of the Council and a Democrat and a Bloomberg ally and usually a supporter of his little health crusades and a very strong contender to succeed him as mayor. If she’s abandoning ship, it can only be because she’s not confident that the ban is being well received even in the deep blue utopia of NYC.

And she’s not the only mayoral contender who feels that way.

Christine Quinn, the City Council speaker and a mayoral ally, pointed out that the key to getting people to eat healthier is to give them healthier options, and said during an avail today that she was concerned about the ban being excessively punitive.

“Fighting the obesity epidemic comes down to personal decisions and that’s why knowledge about nutrition is important because with it, people can make healthier choices. Another important factor is access to healthier foods. We’ve seen that if better choices are available, people will often take advantage of them. That’s why we’ve expanded Green Markets and the EBT program. However, limiting people’s choices is not about knowledge, empowerment or access. It seems punitive and I worry that in the end, this proposal won’t yield a positive result. Because after all, the person who doesn’t understand why it’s not healthy to drink 18oz of sugared soda, is simply going to get two 10oz cans or extra refills.”…

[Former City Comptroller Bill] Thompson says that the attention on the matter would be better focused on educating young people about the dangers of sugary foods.

“This move does nothing to teach people about positive nutritional values and sounds more like parlor talk than real solutions for the obesity epidemic. The city should be educating students in our schools about good health and not limiting what our citizens can purchase. Ten years into this administration and this is the best they can come up with?”

The current City Comptroller is also critical of the ban on grounds that we should be spending our time worrying instead about mandating bike helmets or something. (This is NYC, my friends. Sometimes nannyism can be defeated only through greater nannyism.) As much as I hate to undermine Quinn’s opposition, I’ve gotta say — the “people will simply buy two drinks now instead of one” argument seems a bit too pat to me. Some people will do that; if you’re parched and hankering for an ocean of soda, a 16-ouncer’s just not going to do it. Pop for two cups. But not everyone who springs for the 32-ouncer necessarily wants 32 ounces. Some people just want “a lot” and if they see 32 as an option, they’ll choose that because it’s undeniably “a lot.” If 16 is the top option, they might be satisfied with that instead — partly because of the psychological effect in choosing the largest available size, partly because of the inconvenience and expense in lugging around two cups, and partly because they’re not so thirsty that they need 32 ounces to feel sated. They might only need 20 and will make do with 16 rather than order a second cup for that extra little bit. If you’re opting for the occasional 16 instead of nursing a 32-ouncer that’s more than enough to fill you up but which you feel compelled to finish if only to get your money’s worth, then yeah, you’re going to lose some weight. That doesn’t justify his attempt to use state power to treat you like a child, but it’s not a wholly ineffective tactic.

Via Reason, two minutes of man-on-the-street reaction to the new ban. I don’t want to spoil it but the word “douche” is mentioned.

Comments

Yeah, the bottles of coke I love for my bicycle rides have been disappearing–what a joke of a government.

ParisParamus on May 31, 2012 at 8:09 PM

It is a laughably stupid justification for yet more statism and it’s surprising you discussed the ins and outs of cup sizes. Talk about missing the woods for the trees…

CorporatePiggy on May 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Will no one rid us of this malignant dwarf?

I’ll give this for the little dictator; he’s united everyone in NYC against him. Stores and retailers should defy the ban or give discounts for multiple purchases of smaller sizes.

Bloomberg stinks on ice.

Rixon on May 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM

You can only wonder what an asshole like Bloomberg would do if he had the powers of a dictator.

But suck it up, NYC denizens, you elect these halfwits every single election.

Bishop on May 31, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I figured out why he hates 2 liter bottles: they’re bigger than he is.

Rixon on May 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

You can only wonder what an ahole like Bloomberg would do if he had the powers of a dictator.

But suck it up, NYC denizens, you elect these halfwits every single election.

Bishop on May 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Can I buy two? Can they have two for one specials? Seriously this is maddening. The fools who supported O-Care you will reap what you sow.

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:14 PM

She’s obviously in the pocket of the fat cats of big soda.

Flange on May 31, 2012 at 8:15 PM

I like that last lady. I think she might be a conservative mole hiding amongst the bat sh!t crazy APs…I mean New Yorkers.

NotCoach on May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

A) Bloomberg changed the rules so he could be mayor forever.
B) He barely won re-election last time.

SouthernGent on May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Except I didn’t miss the forest for the trees. I wrote a whole separate post dumping on him for this earlier today, didn’t I?

Allahpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

At the very least watch the woman interviewed starting at 1:34.

Hear, hear.

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:16 PM

If Charlie Chaplin was still alive…..
He would make a movie about this dictator…

Electrongod on May 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Sort of like the “beer hall putsch”? Soda ban revolt?

I said sort of. Kind of.

Politicians have fallen over sillier of things. Bloomberg’s going to overreach and end his career. Soda ban might be as good as any other issue to do it.

SteveMG on May 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Forget about the proposed ban on large drinks.

Buy more smaller ones and throw the cups all over the place. Let Bloomberg deal with that.

Cody1991 on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

“The obesity epidemic”

Pfft. What a f**king joke. When did this start? Two, three weeks ago as a way of distracting attention away from Barry Choom and now all of a sudden it’s an epidemic.

I just got off the phone with my girlfriend, a woman that doesn’t follow any of this stuff at all, and she’d heard about this and said someone should take Bloomy out in the street and kick his azz on television.

Dack Thrombosis on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

But suck it up, NYC denizens, you elect these halfwits every single election.

Bishop on May 31, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Don’t blame me I voted for his black challenger. How do you people say it again? Raaaciiiiiiisssssttttt right?

On a more serious note, he has been good on health care initiatives in NYC.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

it’s not a wholly ineffective tactic.

Again I ask can people buy two drinks? Can they do two for one deals? Will they chase you out if you have your buddy buy you a second drink above your “limit”.

Yes if you place totalitarian you can do a lot of “good” very easily. I just don’t want to live there.

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You’re a statist. That explains your excuse for an argument.

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The mockery is epic! Ultimately Bloomberg will have to swallow his pride (A Big Gulp) & walk this nonsense back.

BHO Jonestown on May 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

The lady at 1:34 drives Upper crazy. Y’all know it.

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Bloomberg and his cronies do realize that any of several vendors on the Internet still sell “throwback” sodas that use cane sugar? Anyone, including New Yorkers, can order as much as they like.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on May 31, 2012 at 8:21 PM

If Secular liberals really believe in Darwin so much then why won’t they let him do his thing? Sure I believe in evolution too, thus I want the nanny state out of the way so we keep evolving. These liberals just seem to use evolution when it comes to mocking the idea of a god. But only to be an argument for replacing god with an all powerful all knowing government. In a thousand years, we may evolve to be able to use big gulps and Twinkies to stay fit.

MechanicalBill on May 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You’ve gotta be kidding. This craptastic proposal doesn’t even have to pass the city council?

amerpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:22 PM

This craptastic proposal doesn’t even have to pass the city council?

Nope. Health Department is ready to roll!

Allahpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

The Slurpee Strikes Back.

Philly on May 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Well, yeah, and we could make people live on water and gruel and be even more effective. What everyone seems to be overlooking is that most drinks from convenience stores are mainly ice, so you’re not even getting 32oz of soda, probably more like 20, and the 16oz is probably around 10. So when all is said and done you’re probably getting more soda in a 12oz can than the 16oz you buy at 7-11.

clearbluesky on May 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

clearbluesky on May 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

shhhh

CW on May 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Steamboat Willie Christine Quinn: Please, I like America! Fancy schmancy! What a cinch! Go fly a kite! Cat got your tongue! Hill of beans! Betty Boop, what a dish. Betty Grable, nice gams.
Steamboat Willie Christine Quinn: singing: I say can you see! I say can you see! I… I say…
Steamboat Willie Christine Quinn:: F*ck Hitler. F*ck Hitler!

/Just keep digging your graves, you damned Statist Nazis.

rayra on May 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM

How many more terms can Little Napoleon be elected?

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You’re a lib, it’s impossible for you to be racist because your hearts are pure.

Bishop on May 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Nope. Health Department is ready to roll!

Allahpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

AP, get out of that God forsaken city and get some fresh air. It will do you some good. You might even find a nice, wholesome young lady.

Extra added bonus: You will become a little less beta just by leaving that commune for the mentally challenged.

NotCoach on May 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

New York city isn’t about representative government. It’s about getting things done.

If we’ve learned nothing else from the 20th Century, we’ve learned the value of getting things done over dawdling with representative government.

HitNRun on May 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Nope. Health Department is ready to roll!

Allahpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Terrible.

amerpundit on May 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

…COKE is it!!!…you misunderstood!…you are not allowed to SNORT more than 16 ounces at a time!

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 8:29 PM

New Yorkers: “Dem clowns at City Hall are a piece of work. That —- Bloomberg is a —-ing Nazi. I’d like to ———————. Who the —- do they think they are telling me what to drink?”

/votes straight Democratic ticket for the 12th time in as many elections
//not counting voting twice for Bloomberg

HitNRun on May 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

theyre really tackling the important issues in that sewer of america arent they?

therightwinger on May 31, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Nanny, nanny, boo boo!

Momma on May 31, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Don’t worry Allah, I’m sure someone in Nassau County can get you a Big Gulp…for a price!

When they came for the soda, I said nothing because I wasn’t a soda drinker.
When they came for the sweet tea, I said nothing because I only drink hot tea.
When they came for the cannoli’s, they’re was no one left to stop them….

Agent of the Cross on May 31, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Hey, we used to have Giuliani and he was a damned good mayor and the voice of calm and reason on and after 9/11. Even Pataki started off well, but then the party just disintegrated into idiocy.

And please, Charles Barron is a Sharpton-wannabe that makes Doomberg look positively Madisonian by comparison.

Rixon on May 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Mayor Bloomberg doesn’t have a Napoleon complex, he has a Guiliani complex.

monalisa on May 31, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The best response from Big Soda will be to boycott the whole city. No Coke or Pepsi of any type and size will be delivered to the island. No fountain, no can and no bottle. The island will be dry within a 7 hours. It is 1938 everywhere now it is 1920 on the Island of Manhattan. The 18th amendment was reinstated with the words. Manufacture, sale, or transportation of intoxicating liquors Soft Drinks within…the United States New York and all territory five boroughs subject to the jurisdiction thereof for beverage purposes is hereby prohibited.

This whole thing smells of Cass Sunstein. Nudge, Shove, Shot.

tjexcite on May 31, 2012 at 8:42 PM

I wrote a whole separate post dumping on him for this earlier today, didn’t I?

You did.

Over/under on NYC’ers knuckling under for the ‘broccoli mandate’?

CorporatePiggy on May 31, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Bill O’Reilly just announced he supports Bloomberg.

andy85719 on May 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM

HitNRun on May 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Yahwol, mien Fuehrer!

OldEnglish on May 31, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Coca Cola has had a special going for several months in my area. All their bottled drinks sell for $1.00/liter (42.2 fl. oz.).

I see a big market for flooding NYC from outlying areas. Nice slim bottles sold in nifty cold pack holders. I’ll supply the holders.

Thanks, Bloomie. You’re such a tool.

Cody1991 on May 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM

Banning mass quantity’s of soda I predict will fizzle out. Ooh, I just made a funny.

jake49 on May 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Oh, so do these mayoral challengers really disagree or are they just pushing the issue to get a liter up on Serial Nanny Gloomjerk in the mayoral race?

stukinIL4now on May 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

But not everyone who springs for the 32-ouncer necessarily wants 32 ounces.

I agree except in the case of movie theaters.

But some fast food places have gone way overboard in their sizes. Still, I often get the smaller meals, so this works out for me.

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

HitNRun on May 31, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You may want to consider changing that wording of ‘getting things done’.
The jails and prisons are overflowing with persons for ‘getting things done’.

News2Use on May 31, 2012 at 9:08 PM

democracy
200 plus years of a successful republic and “this is what MOB RULE looks like” is the meme. Old habits die hard.

bettycooper on May 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM

clearbluesky on May 31, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I always put more ice in my soft drinks than soda. Of course I only drink maybe 6 sodas per year (Sprite).

Oh and to that last lady, you’re right ma’am, most Americans are in a slumber. Fortunately though it looks like more and more are starting to awaken from it.

Flora Duh on May 31, 2012 at 9:09 PM

I agree except in the case of movie theaters.

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 9:05 PM

And this is the whole crux of the matter. You made the choice to go for the smaller meal. Not some pissant politician who thinks you are incapable of making that choice.

chewmeister on May 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

AP I hope you looked in the tips email. The Husband sent you a video of some news folks talking about the book coming out about Obama’s early love life. While hardly a campaign ad, I don’t think Fox has to worry about the bias label with this display around. So

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM

How do you people say it again?

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

You people?

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 9:18 PM

chewmeister on May 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Mostly, I eat less, so the larger meals are just less wasteful, but I agree with your point.

Esthier on May 31, 2012 at 9:23 PM

I think I’ve said this before, so I’ll say it again: New York City: You freakin’ morons, you put Bloomberg into office once, twice…and then when he told you to bend over and change the law so that he could be New York’s King for Life, you bent over and did what you were told, and put him in a third time. Will you idiots be trying for a fourth time? You get what you pay for and, I suppose you deserve all the crap Bloomie can shove down your throats. Enjoy the continuing misery!

seanrobins on May 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I remember a routine Dennis Miller did on huge drinks from 7-11. Nothing makes me want to order something I would never consider than to have some stupid politician say I can’t.

Cindy Munford on May 31, 2012 at 9:38 PM

$300million and unlawful rule change = this

they’re not corrupt, just concerned!

John Kettlewell on May 31, 2012 at 9:46 PM

this is straight up communism coming about.
leave it to the NY’ers to allow it to be ushered in.
i used to think they wouldn’t put up with anything, now i know otherwise.

mmcnamer1 on May 31, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Punitive? I think you meant “stupid”.

John the Libertarian on May 31, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Someone needs to slap Bloomberg upside the head and ask, Who in the F do you think you are?”

esnap on May 31, 2012 at 10:01 PM

So I guess all stories of New Yorkers as tough independent and can think for themselves is just BS. They are weak minded children that love to be told what to do by Nanny Bloomberg. What a bunch of rubes.

Your Mamma loves me on May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

This is crazy. It is going to be a royal pain in the a$$ carrying six 16oz cups of coke and a large popcorn into the movie theater.

BRunner on May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Lock ‘em all up and throw away the key!

GarandFan on May 31, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I voted for his black challenger.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

And you’ve got, like, six or seven black friends, right?

Not only are you a bigot; you’re a tone deaf bigot.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2012 at 10:29 PM

What a bunch of rubes.

Your Mamma loves me on May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Who all vote the same way you do apparently.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2012 at 10:30 PM

How come Bloomy didn’t ban the purchase of soda pop with food stamps?

skeeterbite on May 31, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I voted for his black challenger.

Uppereastside on May 31, 2012 at 8:18 PM

….ooooooohhhhh! …you didn’t vote for ‘his challenger’….you voted for ‘HIS BLACK’ challenger!
Where do you get your robes drycleaned?

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 10:41 PM

So much for sharing a soda with the hubby at the movies.

Eh, who am I kidding. We can’t afford soda…or the movies.

Laura in Maryland on May 31, 2012 at 10:52 PM

And what happens to that poor sumbitch when he leaves the cocoon of NYC? Gawddamn! He might come down here and eat a freakin moonpie for crying out loud.

BacaDog on May 31, 2012 at 10:57 PM

There’s always the line,always the line that, once crossed, becomes the impetus for full-scale revolt.

I don’t know what’s the matter with this Bloomberg guy but I’m quite sure he needs to get laid more.

Because this time folks, THIS time, he crossed the line directly into crazy.

If there’s any politico in NY with a half a chance, nows the time to start plotting a run against this guy.

Cause I think he’s outta there.

patfish on May 31, 2012 at 11:22 PM

Douche? That’s “Mayor Douche” to you, paisano.

If everyone on NYC passed the drinks and the chips for lunch for a month, “MD” would be lower that a cigarette butt in the street.

But hey, you get the government you deserve, right? Or at least the rich government that can buy your vote.

drwilliams on May 31, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Your Mamma loves me on May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Those people moved out of the City long ago. Now it’s inhabited primarily by a “herd of independent minds”. (I forget who first said that)

Cleombrotus on May 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Refills not affected.

Mason on May 31, 2012 at 11:46 PM

???????????

Excuse me, but aren’t there sizes in-betweeen 16 oz. and 32 oz? I’ve never drank a 32 oz. soda in my life, but sometimes I want more than a more than 16 oz.

So….you know…when I want more than 16 and less than 32…..I buy a size somewhere between 16 and 32.

Seems logical, doesn’t it?

Now, when I am in NYC, what am I going to have to do? Buy a 16 oz and then maybe two more “shot-glass” size sodas in order to get the 20 ozs I might prefer.

Yeah. Sure.

Ridiculous. What a silly man, governing an increasingly silly (and overrated) city.

What is now more likely to happen, is that people who wanted much less than 32 but more than 16, will now buy two 16 ouncers, and with the natural proclivity of people not to waste what they just paid for, they will drink all of both 16 ouncers, thus increasing their actual consumption. Duh.

This is just an exercise in power, nothing more, and no one knows it better than Bloomberg himself. I’ve always hated Bloomberg more than any other politician in America, including Obama, Pelosi, Hillary, Reid, etc. How arrogant must a politician be to demand control over our very bodies, and how much liquid we put in our cups?

Dreadnought on June 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Your Mamma loves me on May 31, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Cleombrotus on May 31, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Yes, that image of New Yorkers pretty much stopped being real around the time of the “Bowery Boys”, or perhaps “The French Connection” and “Mean Streets”, at the latest.

Dreadnought on June 1, 2012 at 12:23 AM

As “epidemics” go, New York City suffers from a stupidity, arrogance, and tyranny epidemic … and the idiots in New York are all in favor of them. New York deserves to be flushed down the cr@pper, with all the illegals they shelter (talk about dangers of “real” epidemics …).

It won’t be long before New York City returns to what it was in the 70s. Just deserts.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 1, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I was just wondering if there have been any radical authoritarian societies in history that have….. regulated the size of the drinks that their people drank? Did Nazi Germany dictate anything like this? Did China, Russia, or North Korea ever try to control the size of their people’s drinks?

ModerateMan on June 1, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I have this mental picture of Bloomberg’s version of Elliot Ness busting soda shops and grocery stores…busting “drink easies”…taking an axe to vending machines, etc.

I guess “Coke Bust” will have a unique meaning in New York!!!

There will also be a significant new underground economy in NYC…smuggling large drink containers into Quick Trips…selling underwear containing soda compartments…etc.!!!

All this because the idiot mayor has decided that you have no right to choose what to eat or drink.

And for WHAT??? Who is actually better off:

A. Someone who chooses a Bloomberg-be-damned lifestyle and dies happy at age 50?

…OR…

B. Someone who lives a joyless life devoid of treats and dies in misery at age 90?

One thing for sure: It’s NOT GOVERNMENT’S DECISION TO MAKE!!!

landlines on June 1, 2012 at 12:37 AM

I am sick and tired of do gooders telling others what they can and cannot do.
Stay the hell out of my life and mind your own.

I will choose for myself and for my children and you can stay the hell out of my life!

Government should take a look at its own waste line.

Delsa on June 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Anyone who chooses to live in New York City gets what’s coming to them, if you ask me.

Inkblots on June 1, 2012 at 1:31 AM

I feel I need to discuss this matter more in depth with that muscular black gentleman. Perhaps he’d like to come here to ATL and visit World of Coke?

di butler on June 1, 2012 at 1:38 AM

Outlawing abortion = bad because government shouldn’t be able to tell people what to do with their bodies.

Outlawing unhealthy food/drinks = good because well, uh, because…we’ll get back to you on that.

Left Coast Right Mind on June 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

ah, that old fashioned socialism… national socialism. first it’s the plebs can’t have salt, soda, and trans fats then the jews can’t own pets and then…

but as long as drug dealers can pay their bail with their government issued EBT cards and they can enjoy themselves courtesy of the tax payer at the strip club and casino- all is good. and don’t forget winning the lottery and still being on welfare… but lord help the poor misguided adult child who wants a big gulp with his sandwich- he’s the one sucking the public coffers dry with his poor choices.

mittens on June 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

These people are lunatics. Wait until they start requiring people to smoke because the cigarette tax revenue is bit short.

pat on June 1, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I recall when the fish and game idiots in Connecticut banned kids from ice fishing -it was “too dangerous” so instead all the boy scouts all came out in a crowd to stand on the ice and watch us fish.

The problem is that if you give idiots the power to make laws and regulations to control other people -they will!

Some people are born wanting to control others.
Some people are born wanting to be controlled.
Some people are born wanting to be free – to do what’s wrong.
Some people are born wanting to be free to do what’s right.

Peace on earth is when all become the later group.

Don L on June 1, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Inkblots on June 1, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Live there? Anyone who even VISITS the city these days is asking for it! I would avoid NYC like the proverbial plague until the people out there wise up and throw Bloomie-baby out of office!

pilamaye on June 1, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Dreadnought on June 1, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Often, when it comes to fountain drinks, Dreadnought, there aren’t any sizes between 16oz and 32oz. At Wendy’s the sizes are evidently 20oz, 32oz, and 42oz – so you can’t even get a drink there; you’ll have to go back for refills on that kid’s meal drink.

GWB on June 1, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Lyrics from two songs come to mind upon reading the comments.

The first from Billy Joel:

I don’t need you to worry for me cause I’m alright
I don’t want you to tell me it’s time to come home
I don’t care what you say anymore, this is my life
Go ahead with your own life, leave me alone

The second from the Eurythmics:

Some of them want to use you
Some of them want to get used by you
Some of them want to abuse you
Some of them want to be abused.

GWB on June 1, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I don’t like sodas. Except for club soda, as it goes so well with scotch. I don’t live in NYC…wild horses couldn’t even drag me there for a visit. Sugary drinks don’t quench my thirst at all, on the contrary, they make me thirstier.

That being said, Doomberg can go stick it in his ear. What a jerk. If any gov’t official here in Idaho tried this shyte, they’d be run out of town.

sage0925 on June 1, 2012 at 1:10 PM

16 oz, 32 oz, or 64 oz — doesn’t matter. If I have a diabetic blood-sugar insulin crash, I’m drinkin’ that mothah! Mr. Bloomburg can have the soda police arrest me after the fact, assuming he has the ‘nads of even one of my previous “nannies.”

Turtle317 on June 1, 2012 at 4:49 PM