America unites in contempt for loathsome nanny-state mayor

posted at 4:06 pm on May 31, 2012 by Allahpundit

The “No Labels” crowd that wanted him to run for president as an indie swore that he’d help bring Americans together. And so he has. Is there anyone on either side of the aisle, aside from celebrity buffoons like Alec Baldwin and the social engineers of tomorrow at Ezra Klein’s blog, who thinks this is a swell idea?

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

The measure would not apply to diet sodas, fruit juices, dairy-based drinks like milkshakes, or alcoholic beverages; it would not extend to beverages sold in grocery or convenience stores…

At fast-food chains, where sodas are often dispersed at self-serve fountains, restaurants would be required to hand out cup sizes of 16 ounces or less, regardless of whether a customer opts for a diet drink. But free refills — and additional drink purchases — would be allowed.

Actual quote from Bloomy, summarizing his nanny-state ethos better than anyone else could: “New York City is not about wringing your hands; it’s about doing something.” The punchline here is that the scheme of targeting portion size rather than the beverage itself seems so inept and arbitrary that you’re almost left wishing he was a more effective nanny. At Reason, Jacob Sullum explains:

Even if we accept Farley’s claims about soda’s role in rising obesity rates, it does not follow that Bloomberg’s plan will have a measurable impact on New Yorkers’ waistlines. There are reasons to doubt that it will, starting with the mayor’s observation that extra-thirsty customers can always buy another 16-ounce drink (which might actually result in the consumption of more calories, assuming their usual serving is between 16 and 32 ounces). Nor will undercover health inspectors monitor the city’s fast food restaurants to prevent diners from availing themselves of free refills; the regulations graciously let them drink as much soda as they want, as long as they do it 16 ounces at a time. The size rule does not apply at all to convenience stores, supermarkets, or vending machines, so Big Gulps, giant Slurpees, and large bottles of soda will still be readily available. Bloomberg also plans to exempt fruit juices, which typically have more calories per ounce than sugar-sweetened soda, and milk-based drinks. So while New Yorkers won’t be allowed to order 20 ounces of Coke (240 calories), they will still be able to get a 20-ounce Starbucks whole-milk latte (290 calories) or even a 24-ounce Double Chocolaty Frappuccino (520 calories), not to mention a 20-ounce milkshake (about 800 calories).

In other words, Bloomberg is right when he says there will still be lots of opportunities for New Yorkers to consume large quantities of high-calorie drinks, which means he does not even have a sound paternalistic justification for his meddling. He is screwing with people not to protect them from their own foolish choices but just to create the appearance of doing so. Or maybe just because he can.

Actually, I think the reason he’s taking such a half-assed step now is simply to set a precedent that NYC and other cities can build on later. We may yet see a dip in sugary-drink consumption if portion size is regulated, simply because some people won’t want to pop for a second cup to get their fill. When that happens, Bloomy will point to the decline as evidence that regulation works and the public, meanwhile, will have gotten used to the idea of having its dietary choices restricted. The next step would be to apply the size rule to supermarkets and convenience stores, then after that to impose a calorie rule, and maybe down the road to drop one of those European “fat taxes” on sugary beverages to really drive down demand. It’s the same M.O. as regulating smoking — one of Bloomberg’s points in the clip below, in fact, is how obesity is now a bigger health threat than cigarettes — but minus the “secondary smoke” logic of regulating the individual to protect those around him. What he’s trying to do here is simply get his foot in the prohibitionist door. (And I do mean his foot; according to NY1, Bloomberg won’t even seek a rubber stamp from the City Council to impose this policy.) That’s more important long-term to controlling people’s diets than enacting a policy on soda portions that’s consistent or coherent.

Consider this an hors d’oeuvre for the meal we’re going to have in a few weeks when the Supreme Court rules on ObamaCare and we spend a week revisiting the ever-less-hypothetical “broccoli mandate” hypothetical. Incidentally, show of hands: Does anyone reading this not know that sugary drinks can fatten you up and mess with your blood sugar and that soda, in particular, is basically devoid of all nutritional value? The last time we wrote about diets and nanny statism, I noted that it seems like the better informed consumers are about nutrition, paradoxically the more government wants to micro-manage what they eat and drink. In theory, the more information a citizen has, the less government should need to regulate his activity because he’s better equipped to tend to his own welfare. Instead, at least in dietary matters, it seems that the more information legislators have, the more they feel compelled to meddle with citizens to make “the right choices” for them. That’s an ominous undercurrent amid the many advantages to mass media and the information age. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing potentially, at least in the hands of a tool like this.

Update: You’ve got to be kidding.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Bloomberg thinks he’s a big deal, so why stop with dictating to New Yorkers?

If he really has his pants on, he should be pushing for the gub’mint to limit food stamp purchases to staples only – no more soft drinks, candy or snacks. Cripes…. all those fat people and their kids lumbering around the country….. target rich.

Can’t believe Bloomie is thinking so small. And I doubt that he is.

Good job on electing a fascist mayor, NYC.

Cody1991 on May 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Oh good heavens, please keep this secret. If the brain trust that runs Seattle finds out you can tax rain, we’re all doomed up here.

Fabozz on May 31, 2012 at 4:25 PM

When I moved out of Charlotte in 2004, they had already implemented a “stormwater runoff” surcharge on the city water/sewer bill, based on the square footage of your home. It’s a tax on rain.

Harbingeing on May 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

NYC Fast Food Customer: Gimme a double burger and large fries.

NYC Fast Food Employee: Would you like an extra large 16-oz. soda with that?

Customer: No, I got a 2-liter from the 7-11 next door.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Which is why I’m in Porter.

cajun carrot on May 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM

yep, which is why I’m looking at Ft. Bend County

DanMan on May 31, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I hope the environmentalists go ballistic over the number of extra cups, lids, and straws this will require.

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 4:51 PM

No worries – New York has trash police that snoop through garbage cans. Voila, problem solved.

As for the obesity problem this law won’t address, maybe we can all sit on Bloomberg’s lap and have him hand-feed us? I like to play airplane while I eat – maybe he does too.

stout77 on May 31, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Why would anyone in their RIGHT mind live in NYC?

The place is a socialist hellhole. And the weather sucks.

Norwegian on May 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

IMO this is an AWESOME idea that is not draconian at all.

AlexB on May 31, 2012 at 4:55 PM

In what way? The only thing it accomplishes is disallowing the freedom of citizens to choose what they want to drink, and disallowing the freedom of business owners to sell it to them. There is not a single thing about this law that has anything to do with protecting citizens, and everything to do with controlling them and limiting their quality of life.

MadisonConservative on May 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Too bad.

Bmore on May 31, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Sterling Holobyte on May 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Trust me, try it. I know this: it doesn’t give me nearly the stomach troubles that an average diet soda does.

MadisonConservative on May 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Oh and I should add. Jack booted thug.

Bmore on May 31, 2012 at 5:04 PM

We’ve got to do something. Everybody is wringing their hands saying we’ve got to do something. Well, here is a concrete thing. You can still buy large bottles in stores. But in a restaurant, 16 ounces is the maximum that they would be able to serve in one cup. If you want to order two cups of the same time, that’s fine. It’s your choice. We’re not taking away anybody’s right to do things. We’re simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup

… No Mike, you’re the only one wringing your hands about it. Christ, at least Michelle O is confining her paternalistic anti-fatty campaign to children.

Lawdawg86 on May 31, 2012 at 5:07 PM

In other words, New Yorkers (uppereastside especially), are too stupid to see that one cup is larger than another cup.

We’re simply forcing you

Yeah, that’s just the sort of thing I like hearing from my government.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM

NY is already home to the most oppressive tax policies and rates in the nation. Only fools would call what Cuomo has done in that respect a “success”.

NY has a net population loss over the past ten years and long-time Democrat, Manhattan County dominated government in Albany that does not believe in individual rights, such as the Second Amendment or concepts such as freedom of choice. Their schools are falling further each year, businesses are leaving.

But people, obviously, don’t need to stay hear. In these economic times the exodus will only grow.

And this is the type of Napoleon-complex, anti-gun, anti-individual rights idiot they float as a national candidate.

That has to be a joke.

Marcus Traianus on May 31, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I was in NYC a few weeks ago, and every time I’m there I’m struck by the LACK of obese people. Same thing last time I was in Paris, very few tubby types. I chalk it up to most people walking a lot to get around. Maybe I was in the wrong parts of NYC and Paris to observe the severe obesity epidemics.

Of course, my observation is in contrast to here in West Texas, where the fatties abound.

iurockhead on May 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

You know when I read this, I thought what are his personal and political ethics like?

I have this theory that when you’re rigidly controlling over weird things like soft drinks, and/or you’re not even consistent (i.e., coffee drinks), then you’re overcompensating for lack of real ethics over matters that have moral substance to them.

I don’t keep up with the guy, so I did a search and found this.

Yesterday he endorsed Rangel. Not exactly an ethical high water mark.

More to the point is this from May 7:

It’s fair to to wonder what state Mayor Bloomberg lives in, given his mind-bogglingly out-of-touch comments last week about political ethics in New York.

Even as corruption by several pols continues to make news, Mike was urging weaker ethics laws and a beefed-up pork system: “We’ve changed the ethics laws,” he said Friday, referring to recent restrictions on lawmakers.

“You’ve got to love the unintended consequences,” he added — sarcastically.

Bloomberg suggests that limits on pols’ junkets means that they can’t “get together” and “build relationships.” As a result, “they don’t talk to one another.”

It’s weird logic — but maybe not as strange as his plug for more pork: “The way you manage a legislature is, the leadership doles out [pork],” he said.

I kind of think those issues are more important than how much sugar New Yorkers imbibe, but that’s just me!

INC on May 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Ban the subway. Make people walk. That would do it.

Or.. just ban obesity. If you’re fat, you go to jail. Drag them off the streets.
Send in the FDA… arrest the first 10 fat people they find and crucify them. That way, the rest of the fat people will be easier to control.

JellyToast on May 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Forgot the link on Bloomberg and ethics/pork:

INC on May 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Why would anyone in their RIGHT mind live in NYC?

The place is a socialist hellhole. And the weather sucks.

Norwegian on May 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Because it was one of Frank Sinatra’s most famous songs?

listens2glenn on May 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

we’re afraid you’re going to hurt somebody, and we’re afraid you’re going to hurt yourself. So we decided that it would be in your best interest if we put you somewhere where you could get the help that you need.” And I go “wait, what are you talking about, WE decided? MY best interests? How do you know what MY best interest is? How can you say what MY best interest is?

Suicidal Tendencies – Institutionalized

All I wanted was a Pepsi!

Christien on May 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I’m going to have to start hording drinks like I’ve had to do with ammunition.

kirkill on May 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I would guess the donut lobby made a donation to Bloomy’s race. So donuts are now A okay!

PattyJ on May 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Ban the subway. Make people walk. That would do it.

JellyToast on May 31, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Turn Planned Parenthood into liposuction clinics…could make a fortune! One stop, abort your child and suck your fat off in 20 minutes!

kirkill on May 31, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Don’t be fooled into thinking people won’t support this nonsense. Many of you here already do, even if you don’t think you do.

If you support government’s right to keep you from doing drugs, you support (on principle) the thugs of government keeping you from drinking or eating too much unhealthy foods. Once you accept, on principle, that it’s governments job to save us from our own choices, there’s no end to it.

This is what Ron Paul has been trying to warn us about his entire life.

fatlibertarianinokc on May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Allahpundit, this question is for YOU!!

Why on earth do you live in NYC and put up with this sh!t?????!!!!!!!!!!!

If someone tried to do that here in flyover country, the whole town would be at their house with pitchforks. Dayum!!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on May 31, 2012 at 5:25 PM

So Bloomie Baby, what’s to stop people from buying two sodas?

itsspideyman on May 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

The best thing about NYC is that I don’t have to live there. I can visit whenever I want, to see and do whatever I want and can laugh all the way home with a refreshed sense of appreciation for what I have here in the Carolinas.

Sanity and Freedom.

HotAirian on May 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

INC on May 31, 2012 at 5:13 PM

That part of your quote reminded me of the logic for cable television (and so on) in prisons. :) The argument is almost identical.

Axe on May 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM

I’m going to have to start hording drinks like I’ve had to do with ammunition.

kirkill on May 31, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Damn. Is it back to the new-coke days already?

Axe on May 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

NYC Fast Food Customer: Gimme a double burger and large fries.

NYC Fast Food Employee: Would you like an extra large 16-oz. soda with that?

Customer: No, I got a 2-liter from the 7-11 next door.

Left Coast Right Mind on May 31, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Gives “BYOB” a whole new meaning.

Seriously, get rid of the high fructose corn syrup in practically everything and it will be a step in the right direction in controlling obesity and diabetes.

PatriotGal2257 on May 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

*Axe on May 31, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Put it next to the original texts of the politically incorrect classics, maybe on top of the light bulbs and the bags of Doritos that weren’t deep fried in laxative.

Axe on May 31, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Why on earth do you live in NYC and put up with this sh!t?????!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom

Some people want to be kept like pets.

chimney sweep on May 31, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Focused like a laser on soda. Stupid.

LetsBfrank on May 31, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’m happy I don’t live in New York, and am not under the thumb of an unAmerican dictator.

Reggie1971 on May 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Wait, what?!? Those cute polar bears lied to me!

I’m going to become Mayor Nanny’s worst nightmare tonight: smoke a cigar while drinking a big gulp and holding my gun…of course that’s after I deposit a paycheck from my job. The horror!

nextgen_repub on May 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Reggie1971 on May 31, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Too late. If you live in any of the 57 states, you already are.

Joe Mama on May 31, 2012 at 5:57 PM

At first they came after the smokers, and I did nothing.

Then they came after unasked for glasses of water in restaurants and I did nothing.

Then they came after salt and I did nothing.

Then they came after transfats and I did nothing.

And now they want my Big Gulp.

Seriously, is Bloomberg expecting citizens to get a city issued permit before one fixes dinner?

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:04 PM

nextgen_repub on May 31, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Be sure and really get up in his grill and carry it all in a plastic bag.

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“Planned Parenthood pushes “gendercide” in New York City”
“New York City bans big drinks”

So, in lunatic-left-ville, nanny-state NYC, you can have a female unborn fetus murdered because you really want a boy, but you can’t have larger than a 16 oz soda cup !!!!!!!

Do you NOW understand why they’re called the “LUNATIC LEFT” and why they are a cancer on America that must be eradicated ?

TeaPartyNation on May 31, 2012 at 6:07 PM

This gas station I go to keeps stocking Mexican Pepsi…with real cane sugar, as opposed to the refined crap they use in the “Throwback”.
–snip–
MadisonConservative on May 31, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I’ve seen this in our Walmart.
I am a little apprehensive to try it. You know, they say in Mexico never to drink the water…?! ;)

That, and I don’t drink Pepsi.

Sterling Holobyte on May 31, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Some places sell Mexican Coca-Cola. That is better than the US’s Coke Classic. Don’t know about the Pepsi, but it should probably taste better for the same reason: real sugar.

The water in the beverages should always be fine: the overall company has a reputation to protect with its brand.

Kevin K. on May 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Trying to think of a way to express my contempt for this sort of pathetic totaltarianism in clown shoes that doesn’t involve a string of expletives.

I got nothing.

Sure, it’s all those fundie Xtian theocratic repubics that are going to tell you how to order your life. Uh huh. Tell me about the rabbits, George.

ConservativeLA on May 31, 2012 at 6:10 PM

I hung on until he said “we’re forcing the consumer”. Forcing the consumer? He just spent 4 minutes saying we’re not taking anyone’s choice away. Tell me I’m free, while you’re putting me in chains. Talk about cognitive dissonance.

txhsmom on May 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM

PatriotGal2257 on May 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Yeah it was the corn syrup and not the portions that cause obesity and diabetes. You do realize that the average sized dinner plate has gone from 9 inches to around 12 inches over the last couple of decades, right?

I’ve done pretty well with the strategy of shopping around the edges of the grocery store. Meaning, for those that don’t know, you focus on the stuff that groceries put around the outside of the shelves. Obviously, you can’t do it entirely but you get far fewer preservatives and extra chemicals/dyes when you buy fresh meat and vegetables and stay away from what doesn’t need refrigeration.

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM

So just what is it going to take bfore people just ell these Azz Holes tho go fornicate themselves or better yet drag them to the nearest lamp post and string them up. All it would take is one or two and the rest would get the message real quick.

LCT688 on May 31, 2012 at 6:17 PM

txhsmom on May 31, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Yeah. Don’t pi*s down my back and tell me its raining.

fullogas on May 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM

So Bloomie Baby, what’s to stop people from buying two sodas?

itsspideyman on May 31, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Phase II.

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:18 PM

What stupid interview! Hey Bloomy, you were eleced mayor, not my mommy. Next he will be regulating which way to wipe. Who will he endorse, Oprah, who else.

StevC on May 31, 2012 at 6:19 PM

McDonalds here has free refills…

albill on May 31, 2012 at 6:20 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I can’t agree with you that Ron Paul is some sort of a Cassandra but I agree with the above comment. Here in DC the District and one of the Maryland Counties put a tax on shopping bags. The tax is supposed to go to the environmental clean up funds or something but it really is all about making people bring their own bags to market. People are pretty much resigned to doing so without question.

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Mayor Bloombat strikes again.

pat on May 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Looks like some other states also have some nanny state intrusion.

a capella on May 31, 2012 at 6:24 PM

I bought a set of dishes several years ago that I jokingly refer to as my “anti-portion-control dishes.” The salad plate is what I use for regular meals, while the regular dinner plates — which I would guess are about 12″ to 14″ in circumference — I use for serving platters. We also have several sets of the new-style Fiesta Ware and those dinner plates fit nicely inside the others. I also have some of my mom’s dinnerware from the 70s, and the difference is notable there as well.

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Me, too. You also save a bundle on the final bill by shopping around the perimeter. I would dearly love it if the hubby would kick his soft drink habit, even though he gets the diet stuff mostly. I’ve never liked them or thought they were thirst quenching — give me a glass of ice water or iced tea and I’m happy.

PatriotGal2257 on May 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Isn’t there some way to get those whose state or local government has deemed them to be so incompetent that they need this kind of supervision declared incompetent to vote in federal elections?

PersonFromPorlock on May 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Ok, maybe I hit the fast food places a little more than I should, but good night! – i thought almost everyone knew that most fast food places with self-serve drink bars offer FREE REFILLS. In other words, people will not be paying for a second cup, therefore your reasoning here is completely hosed, AP.

In fact, I’d argue that this will have exactly the OPPOSITE effect of what’s intended. Quick, somebody do the math… Which is larger: one 32oz soda, or three 16oz sodas? Portions being smaller will encourage people to drink more of the smaller sizes.

psrch on May 31, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Because it was one of Frank Sinatra’s most famous songs?

listens2glenn on May 31, 2012 at 5:16 PM

I’ll bet Doomberg’s latest diktat will have lots of New Yawker’s singing a line from that song:

“Start spreadin’ the news….I’m leavin’ tuh-daaaay!

fulldroolcup on May 31, 2012 at 6:37 PM

…You do realize that the average sized dinner plate has gone from 9 inches to around 12 inches over the last couple of decades, right?

I think it’s the vegetarian trend that has done that; if you go veg you need to eat so much more in order to get the nutritional value of a meal that included meat.

slickwillie2001 on May 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Happy Nomad on May 31, 2012 at 6:23 PM

And who said social engineering doesn’t work?
You will be made into a better person-f itter, happier, more productive, comfortable, not drinking too much. Regular exercise at the gym, 3 days a week. Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries, at ease, eating well (no more microwave dinners and saturated fats).

bayam on May 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Probably a feature, not a bug. That way when obesity doesn’t magically vanish, they can justify tightening the restrictions to 12-ounce portions, or to a maximum of one refill — or both.

Once the government can justify these kinds of regulations, there’s a near-infinite vista of more regulations they can add.

Bloomberg doesn’t just need to be denied on these regulations. He needs to get slapped down hard enough that he never tries again.

Otherwise, you’ll just keep fighting the same battle over and over again.

tom on May 31, 2012 at 6:39 PM

He should be reminded of an admonition given to many a goo-goo [Good Government moron]:

Don’t just do something — stand there!

fulldroolcup on May 31, 2012 at 6:40 PM

You will be made….

bayam on May 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Speaks volumes about how this person thinks.

CurtZHP on May 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Shouldn’t people who have super-sized wallets like Bloomberg be forbidden from having too much money when thousands of New Yorkers are starving and unemployed?

This Big Gulping Mayor is stealing food from children’s mouths!

profitsbeard on May 31, 2012 at 6:44 PM

While Mayor Bloomberg forbids by diktat 20 ounce medium Cokes with 233 calories, his liberal following blithely carry home 25 ounce bottles of white wine which carry 500 calories. Magnums of champagne, 50 ounce super-sized servings of a type commonly found at the parties of rich people like Bloomberg, carry nearly a thousand calories.

Does Bloomberg intend to forbid those super-sized portions of wine as well as soda? Of course not. Plebes drink soda. Effete liberals drink wine. The Bloomberg standard applies only to the lower class, not the control freak, micromanaging liberal elites who demand beg approval from them for what you eat and drink.

It’s another example of intolerant liberals mandating their preferences and outlawing the fashions of groups they disdain. Acquiesce to this petty tyranny and you are one step further down the road to the smiley face fascist state of the liberals’ dreams.

Resist.

Tantor on May 31, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Does anybody else remember the days when the Men and Women of New York City were strong enough to not put up with this type of dictatorial crap?

Where have all of those real Men and Women gone?

wren on May 31, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Kevin K. on May 31, 2012 at 6:09 PM

Another possibility is Coke that is kosher. Look for the yellow caps around Passover, etc.

It’s also sweetened with sugar and is so much better than the corn syrup stuff they should go back to it.

You can also find it and other soft drinks at expensive organic food markets.

INC on May 31, 2012 at 6:53 PM

MadisonConservative on May 31, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Hey buddy, I like your blog. Hopefully you get some time to post again in awhile.

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Double Chocolaty Frappuccino

Ooooh that sounds good. Yum yum yum yum.

TigerPaw on May 31, 2012 at 6:56 PM

…s t u p i d…!!!

KOOLAID2 on May 31, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I hope the NY press will take a closer look at the Mayor’s personal habits. I’ve already seen one NY TV station doing an expose on the Mayor’s use of a closed heliport on weekends with his personal helicopter. The last shot I remember he and his girlfriend with her two dogs were departing his helicopter on a Sunday morning…

d1carter on May 31, 2012 at 6:59 PM

This is great!

Ignorant, stupid New York liberals get what they voted for.

I love it!

Skullf15 on May 31, 2012 at 7:08 PM

What the hell, makes Bloombery think anybody, other than perhaps your parents, has the authority to tell anyone, they can’t drink soda?

Will he ban sugar for coffee next? Or brown sugar for ribs? Should apiary managers be concerned?

Have liberals not ever heard of the essential right to be let alone?

Speakup on May 31, 2012 at 7:09 PM

Call him what he is – Bloomberg’s a Nazi.

/and Godwin’s Law can KMA.

rayra on May 31, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hizzoner is usually a Friday guest on the John Gambling show on WOR-710 radio NYC. It should be interesting, if he calls in.

diogenes on May 31, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You know what sounds fun? Sitting down to a 3 hour movie with your

large

er “Bloomberg Approved Healthy Sized” popcorn and a tiny 16 oz drink that is 2/3 ice.

Hope that you like missing half the movie standing at the snack line with all the other thristy shmucks.

Vera on May 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Even John & Ken are ripping into Bloomy. I think Bloomy’s got Alzheimer.

Coronagold on May 31, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Next: Hard time for distributing sugar!

MaiDee on May 31, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Vera on May 31, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Think of the time saved by not having to pee after sucking down 20oz sodas.

lexhamfox on May 31, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Of course Bloomberg is a totalitarian beast, he is a modern liberal, no difference. He just thinks because he is in and Mayor of NY he can live the fantasy power & control dreams of the Left.
He probably had a couple of 19 yr olds in his business who knew computers and it’s language, made a fortune off them and fired them. He is no different from the essentialy totalitarian freaks he shares his politics with, raging inside with beligerence & the urge to control.

arand on May 31, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Next, toilet paper as a cause. Don’t laugh, they will never leave us alone.

arand on May 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM

This is just another statist wedge. Of course its BS, but like O’Care it’s a start we can build on.

And yet New Yorkers seem to be fine with it just like their utterly useless gun laws.

CorporatePiggy on May 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Don’t be fooled into thinking people won’t support this nonsense.

fatlibertarianinokc on May 31, 2012 at 5:23 PM

For most BIG GOV LOVERS it’s as easy as pie falling down the stairs for them to support this crap…

RalphyBoy on May 31, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Okay so people will have to order a second drink which means another paper cup. The Koch brothers should love that. LOL

Deanna on May 31, 2012 at 8:05 PM

The Great One is ripping Mayor Bloomturd a new one right now!

He said Bloomturd is the No Labels guy, the Great One said I’ll label him, “you’re a moron!!”

LevinFan on May 31, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Next, toilet paper as a cause. Don’t laugh, they will never leave us alone.

arand on May 31, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Okay, but just remember, Sheryl Crow owns the ‘one-square’ meme.

slickwillie2001 on May 31, 2012 at 8:23 PM

If people from the 1930′s could instantly be transported to present day, they would be absolutely amazed that concerns are no longer about the poor consuming too few calories – but, instead, the opposite.

blink on May 31, 2012 at 5:28 PM

….and in the middle of a depression, too.

98ZJUSMC on May 31, 2012 at 8:26 PM

What an idiotic little midget.

Jaibones on May 31, 2012 at 8:33 PM

And who said social engineering doesn’t work?

bayam on May 31, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Does that mean that I will think exactly like you?

No thanks. Be seeing you.

98ZJUSMC on May 31, 2012 at 8:34 PM

God I wanted the lunatic to run ….to put NY in play for the GOP.

KirknBurker on May 31, 2012 at 8:46 PM

The headline to this piece is so dead-on perfect it may rival the classic “headless body in topless bar”.

I talked about this with some gals at work today, to a woman, regardless of politics, they thought this was just RIDICULOUS.

Many of these folks are experienced dieters and they do not need Nanny Bloomberg or any other self-aggrandizing martinet telling them or their families what to eat and drink.

Keep over reaching, you bathetic fools.

Jocon307 on May 31, 2012 at 8:50 PM

The No Labels Sugary Drinks, We Know What’s Best for You party!

roy_batty on May 31, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Doesn’t the GOP have a trademark on the word “Republican” or something? Can’t they strip this leftist buffoon of the label? Disown the demented little control freak?

Merovign on May 31, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Bloomberg is a punk – no better word for it. Just recently he repeatedly violated NYC’s weekend helicopter laws. Yeah, the BILLIONAIRE couldn’t rid himself of his helicopter. But he lets the mask drop in this interview in a way most people miss. At about the 1:10 mark he mentions the decline in smokers versus the increase in the obese. Smokers have been enduring increased tax after tax after tax for twenty years now. Local and state governments have been balancing their budgets on the back of smokers for two decades. In Chicago just this week the tax on cigarettes increased by a dollar to pack to $11 a pack! I kid you not. Of course, liberals will STILL insist smokers have a choice – just that the choice is cost prohibitive for most people (and no, I’ve never been a smoker). So, the liberals schtick of behavior control really works when they can price the clientele OUT of the product. Bloomberg admits here that this has proven successful. So successful, in fact, that governments will soon need another means of revenue. FAT TAX! This is the opening move – the gambit. Slowly but surely people and institutions that don’t fall in line will see their costs increased. Sure, again, they will still say you have a choice! Bloomberg even says here – “you can get TWO cups, but they’ll be 16 oz.” Twice the cost. How…interesting. Trust me, kids. You are ALL missing the play here.

JasperBallbaggins on May 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM

America unites in contempt for loathsome nanny-state mayor

Yes, in his own small way, he has become the icon for elitist tyranny.

petefrt on May 31, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I think this is fantastic. It shows that right-wing fears are founded. There is nothing to insignificant to be left alone.

Remember, there is not one thing a government has done for which it later lessened. It seeks only more. Ask anyone to give an example for anything government has been into and then unburdened itself.

John Kettlewell on May 31, 2012 at 9:14 PM

New recruits to the food police-KIDS.

redridinghood on May 31, 2012 at 9:15 PM

The restaurant that’s first with 16 oz cups and free refills wins!!

faraway on May 31, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Fresh Off His Sneak Attack On Big Gulps, NYC Mayor Bloomberg To Proclaim Friday … National Donut Day…

Zcat on May 31, 2012 at 9:31 PM

This law will make wait staff at service restaurants work harder for no more compensation. They should call it the Whip the Waitress Law.
The war on women continues!

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on May 31, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Do I really need a /tic tag?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on May 31, 2012 at 9:41 PM