Video: The greatest marriage proposal ever?

posted at 9:47 pm on May 30, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, this one’s at 8.4 million YouTube views and counting — in five days. Behold the power of a fully armed and operational celebrity Twitter account:

About 60 people helped Lamb create the memorable marriage proposal, performing an elaborately choreographed street dance to the song “Marry Me” by Bruno Mars while Lamb’s soon-to-be fiancee, Amy Frankel, clutched at her heart and squealed…

The video is called “Isaac’s Lip-Dub Proposal” because he had Frankel wear headphones to listen to the song while the dancers pretended to sing the words.

The video got a viewer boost when Mars, who has no relationship to Lamb or Frankel, tweeted a link to the video to his 9.6 million followers, writing, “Congrats to Isaac Lamb and the future Mrs. I don’t think I could’ve made a better music video for this song. Thank you.”

It’s darned impressive, but there are two types of people in the world, my friends: Those who want “jazz hands” to be part of their memories of proposing marriage and those who don’t. I’ll leave you to guess which group I’m in. Exit question for the ladies: Scale of one to 10, what’s the swoon factor here? Perfect 10 or does a point get deducted for the jazz hands?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

He’s screwed! No way he can claim he was drunk at the time!

OldEnglish on May 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I hope it wasn’t faked.. but the thing for me which made it great was the fearlessness of it. If true.. we was willing to risk a very public rejection to express his love.

It doesn’t get more honest than that.

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I’m going to print out this comment and drizzle it over my pancakes tomorrow morning.

Bishop on May 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I figured you for jerky or something.

The Mega Independent on May 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

In terms of Portland street theater, this rates a 6, at best.

Christien on May 30, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Jazz hands notwithstanding, I think I want to marry the girl in the red dress.

Kensington on May 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

I liked it.

a capella on May 30, 2012 at 11:43 PM

ah yes memories. left the ring in the cat litter box. meticulous penny pinching gal. so it was a cinch she would find it. first girl that ever gave me the stinky finger.

31 years this July.

renalin on May 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

You are just effin with arnold—-right?

arnold ziffel on May 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

I think there should be world’s greatest divorce videos. There are lots of songs like “Hit the Road Jack,” “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover,” “Go Your Own Way,” or “Here’s a Quarter Call Someone Who Cares.” LOL Sorry, couldn’t help it.

Deanna on May 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

31 years this July.

renalin on May 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Ok my head hurts now..

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Anyone else notice that whenever the line containing “dancing juice” is sung, a few guys dressed in Jewish garb gallant across the road? I’m sure they intend it to be a funny pun. Because of the groom’s name it’s likely they’re Jewish anyway. Still, I can’t help but remember: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/death-to-all-juice . I hold no ill will towards the video about this. I am finding it funny.

hadsil on May 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I would have said no…and the gay kiss …yuck… I agree with the person who is tired of the gay agenda being inserted everywhere…annoying…

CCRWM on May 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

My own brother had a bitter divorce and is soured on marriage and women in general. I try sometimes to get him to open up to the world and not be so bitter..

Sometimes people marry for the wrong reasons.. sometimes good marriages fall apart..

I just hope for the best.. hope people learn and find the one they were meant for.. everyone deserves someone.

except Helen Thomas…

pretty sure Satan’s unavailable.

mark81150 on May 30, 2012 at 11:54 PM

arnold ziffel on May 30, 2012 at 11:44 PM

what can i say. its midnight. i do have 18 cats, but if i ever pulled a stunt like that on my wife i would be dead meat.

renalin on May 31, 2012 at 12:03 AM

I figured you for jerky or something.

The Mega Independent on May 30, 2012 at 11:38 PM

My pancakes are flavored with gunpowder.

Bishop on May 31, 2012 at 12:09 AM

Nice video…

… If I had tried that, my friends would have said;

“What are you, gay?”

Seven Percent Solution on May 31, 2012 at 12:17 AM

Jazz hands notwithstanding, I think I want to marry the girl in the red dress.

Kensington on May 30, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Damn, I was gonna call dibs on her first. You beat me to it.

Conservative Samizdat on May 31, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Sweet!!!

Ira on May 31, 2012 at 12:34 AM

D’aww.

ZachV on May 31, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Beta male compensating for a tiny ****. Nothing more.

nottakingsides on May 31, 2012 at 12:57 AM

CCRWM on May 30, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Wow, this was done by all friends and family…no agenda, just relationships.

airmonkey on May 31, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I’m a girl. I loved it even though I typically don’t go for jazz hands. My proposal was nothing romantic, but we just celebrated our 14th anniversary.

kmid219 on May 31, 2012 at 1:17 AM

There is some serious grinching going on in the HA blogoshpere today…Yall need to lighten up about the whole thing and see this for what it is, a very courageous gift to a person who would love it. Maybe you would not (and apparently don’t want to ever ever ever be close to a “gay”) but the proposal was not for you, it was for her. It was an incredibly sincere and heartfelt gift. I loved it and when my wife wakes up and sees it she will love it as well.

And as for man cards…I compete in triathlons and mud runs (soon to be iron mans if my wife has anything to say about it). I used to be a professional dancer. I was a securities licensed banker and am currently in the middle of my doctorate….
…and I guarantee I can shoot better than 90% of you here. So you can have my man card after you pry it from my cold dead fingers…which will be when i am 110 because none of you could possibly do it.

/rant off

ps Maybe instead of belittling other peoples expressions of love you might want to focus on doing it better, don’t tear them down like we expect libs to do.

airmonkey on May 31, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I was home on leave, and we had been getting serious for over a year. I had been selected for the Limited Duty Officer program in the Navy, and needed to go to OCS and my next duty station. I proposed away from both of our families.

She said “I want to hyphenate my last name”. I replied “Then you should marry someone else”. She lit up and told me it was a test.

25 years.

Bigurn on May 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

You will find someone. I am single too but I keep hope alive. It will happen if it is God will :-)

terryannonline on May 30, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Waiting for love is like waiting for a bus, with no schedule, no watch and no change.

Go get it. Life is too short to wait around for something so important. Open up the tackle box and find the right lure.

Wear steak-scented perfume , offer free housecleaning, write papers for dumb college-kids. Jump in front of slow-moving traffic while wearing steak-scented cologne waving season tickets to the local stadium.

Capitalist Hog on May 31, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Yall need to lighten up about the whole thing and see this for what it is as I see it

It was an incredibly sincere and heartfelt gift and my observation is 100% fact, so just accept it..

Maybe instead of belittling other peoples expressions of love opinions and observations as I have done you might want to focus on doing it better my take on the video

nottakingsides on May 31, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Creative…..and lots of fun.
Hope they have a wonderful life together.

Baxter Greene on May 31, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Deanna on May 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

How about (I did it) MY WAY, which is a primary cause of most divorces….

Don L on May 31, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Swoon factor on a scale of one to ten: one. (It would be zero if that had been an option.)

But that’s because flashy and showy are just not my style. I don’t want a proposal that feels like a flash mob situation. I would prefer meaningful and personal–like in the commercial where the guy gives the girl a kitten with a tag that says “Will you marry us?” Now that–that’s a ten in my book. :)

butterflies and puppies on May 31, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I am at the exact opposite of the spectrum from butterflies and puppies. I give it a super swoon factor of 10. I love being married (22 years) and that kind of forethought, surprise and fun-factor is one of the ingredients that makes marriage soooo sweet.

JustTruth101 on May 31, 2012 at 5:14 AM

Sounded and started really stupid and cultureless. It got better and more impressive. Well done.

Jaibones on May 31, 2012 at 6:18 AM

I can hardly wait for the divorce video…

right2bright on May 31, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Deanna on May 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM

“Thank God and Greyhound You’re Gone!” – Roy Clark

TugboatPhil on May 31, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I thought it was sincere and heartfelt.
You have to realize he knew this is something she would love.
He nailed it with a great deal of assistance from friends and family…clearly.
However, the only thing that seemed out of place was the gay couple.
Not because they were gay but because they seemed to have been hired from central casting.
Everyone else seemed….genuine, they seemed like they’d dropped in from a sitcom.

Mistahtibbs on May 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I loved it.

26 years, last week, of a life sentence (no reprieve from the Governor!) We take it 2 weeks at a time…so far, so good! ♥

NHElle on May 31, 2012 at 7:10 AM

That made me cry!!

Terrye on May 31, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Loved it. Loved the fact that she was laughing and going along before she knew what was happening (not every woman would agree to sit in the open trunk end of a moving car). Loved the cleverness of hiding the entrances of the players, among other things. And most of all, enjoyed the real message, that she’s loved not only by her fiancee but by countless friends and family, who put hours of effort into a special treat for her.

Chuckles3 on May 31, 2012 at 7:58 AM

It was right up there, about 9.5 until the gay kiss. WHY ?

I shut it down at that point and it immediately became -10.

stenwin77 on May 31, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Blech. No.

I have a hard time taking “romance” seriously. Maybe it’s because Mr. Knightley has spent thirteen years deconditioning me, or maybe I just define it as something much less showy. But something like this…within ten seconds I would’ve been all, “Why do I have to watch this? Can you just get to the point?”

mrsknightley on May 31, 2012 at 8:02 AM

Mistahtibbs on May 31, 2012 at 6:55 AM

You just can’t get any more genuine than something culled from TV.

whatcat on May 31, 2012 at 8:06 AM

The greatest marriage proposal ever? Well, it is certainly the most effeminate marriage proposal ever.

Pork-Chop on May 31, 2012 at 8:19 AM

One thing I don’t like about these kinds of proposals is they reduce the woman to the role of spectator. It’s as if the guy is saying, “Stand aside so I can make myself look good.” I just feel like it should be a quiet, intimate moment in which they can both have equal emotional participation. But if she liked it, which she obviously did, then more power to them.

mrsknightley on May 31, 2012 at 8:26 AM

Yeah, yeah yeah. . . very sweet until the homosexual marriage activists ruined it. Portland, Oregon, huh? Figures.

SpiderMike on May 31, 2012 at 8:27 AM

25 years.

Bigurn on May 31, 2012 at 1:39 AM

*********
Made me smile!

redlucy on May 31, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Oh, come on, Allah.

The number of points added for the “romantic,” “fun,” and “creative” factor, alone cancels out any Debbie or Danny Downer Naysayers.

This is gold.

Imagine their adult children in the future watching this…

so-notbuyingit on May 31, 2012 at 9:14 AM

I was prepared to think this was really stupid, starting with comments on jazz hands. I actually got a lump in my throat when I saw their parents out there, reminding me and hopefully others that it is really all about the journey and the commitment to each other. Wouldn’t have been how I expected my husband of almost 32 years to propose but from the look on the young woman’s face it worked for her. Glad to see there are still young people that want to try to make that kind of commitment and yeah, I’m just blocking out the all male kiss. Marriage isn’t always easy, in fact is is sometimes impossibly hard but each year I am reminded that it was always worth the gamble. So let them have this fun memory, I hope that they will hold on to it during the tough times and show it to their grandkids one day!

texanne on May 31, 2012 at 9:21 AM

He put a tremendous amount of effort into that, to arrange for that many friends to participate, who must all wish them the best of happiness. She would be crazy to say no.

Steve Z on May 31, 2012 at 9:27 AM

They had me up to the two guys kissing. Can we ever get away from that again, or is that image going to become part of the landscape of marriage for the sake political correctness forever?

Hening on May 31, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’m a guy who’s with AP on this one.

How exciting to have your marriage proposal go viral on YouTube! Not. Where your most memorable moment in your relationship happens before you even get married. How can the wedding ceremony itself stand under this proposal’s shadow? And the rest of the marriage afterwards?

I think the personal proposal is much better. You can only go up from there. Slowly building up over the years.

shick on May 31, 2012 at 9:47 AM

nottakingsides on May 31, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Sooooooo, telling people to see something heartfelt and beautiful is bad…I am very sad for your current/future (probably past?) wife…she will be getting a wrench set for her birthday i assume??

Being conservative has nothing to do with being a cynical jerk, but somehow a lot of self appointed “alpha” males feel the need to be so. Please note: REAL alpha men feel no need to tear others down, they build themselves and others up.

airmonkey on May 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

I loved it. Take my man card if you need to.

mythicknight on May 31, 2012 at 10:37 AM

airmonkey on May 31, 2012 at 10:17 AM

You do realize the irony of what you just posted?

This has nothing to do with alpha male or whatever. It’s simply peoples’ opinions about something. Personally I didn’t like it at all. I wouldn’t want a crowd at something that personal, and I didn’t like the song. So what does that make me?

My husband propsed in a very romantic spot during a very romantic picnic. And trust me he’s definitely alpha male. Oh, and I can probably shoot as well or better than you. So get a grip and let people have their opinions. We let you have yours.

Deanna on May 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I’ll never forget seeing a public proposal in which the young woman was not only highly embarrassed, but also — when put on the spot — said “sorry, no.” The crowd around the couple booed her.

I thought, doesn’t a public proposal put a whole lot of pressure on the woman? Pressure she might not appreciate? Yes, it might. The crowd is waiting for an answer, even though she might want to talk the whole thing over with the man doing the proposing. She might have thought marriage was such a serious step, they should talk about before agreeing to it.

How high will the bar be raised for these public proposals? How will the next couple out-do everyone who assembled their jazz hands previously?

A young co-worker, when discussing this topic, told me that she wished her husband had proposed to her in some public, fancier way that he did (he proposed when the two of them were alone, in a quiet place).

“I had no one to share it with!” she told me.

KyMouse on May 31, 2012 at 10:43 AM

My God, guys, LIGHTEN UP!!! Enjoy! Be Happy! She loved it, isn’t that what it was meant to produce? That and a “yes”? I for one would have loved that someone put that much thought and effort in to something for me as would all of you, jazz hands notwithstanding…

And whoever was worried about the “gay agenda” – really folks, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Get out more often! Enjoy the sun and smell the roses.

exliberal on May 31, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I dunno, I thought it was a bit hokey. I’m kinda tired of the youtube lip sync/dance number stuff, though did I like the Grand Rapids video.

Me: Um, honey, I think I’m pregnant.

Him: Oh, what should we do?

Me: This is where you ask me to marry you.

Him: Um, okay.

Now, that’s romance! Me and Him will be married 30 years this summer.

Fallon on May 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

“Thank God and Greyhound You’re Gone!” – Roy Clark

TugboatPhil on May 31, 2012 at 6:50 AM

“I’m Gonna Love You ‘Til I Don’t.”

KyMouse on May 31, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Video: The greatest most beta marriage proposal ever?

Definitely. A man who’s confident in his girlfriend’s love for him—and her answer—has no need for theatrics. Nothing beats a private, romantic proposal.

You want a female vote? Minus 10. Nauseating. If my husband would’ve wasted his money this way, I never would have married him.
usedtobeinmich on May 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

+10

Italia on May 31, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Jazz hands? I thought the meme was Double Dream Hands.

Marcola on May 31, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Now, that’s romance! Me and Him will be married 30 years this summer.
Fallon on May 31, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Still to each other?

Marcola on May 31, 2012 at 12:42 PM

If you have to go to this length to tell someone you love them, then it seems to me that there must be significant cause for doubt…and serious communication problems!!

Some of the female comments above confirm my suspicions.

(happily married 47 years and counting…)

landlines on May 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Aw, come on, people. This sh*t is awesome. Where’s your sense of throw-caution-to-the-wind romance?

Esoteric on May 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

That’s because most of the people here (while above the bar in the intelligence department) lack a sense of humor, or a personality.

Typical midwest style behavior, and an impressive amount of choreography put into that production…

stacman on May 31, 2012 at 4:39 PM